Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #690623

Subject: "Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)" Previous topic | Next topic
woodsen2
Member since Jan 14th 2003
996 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 08:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)"

Knocked out all 10 episodes in an afternoon off from work.
Felt like it got much better as it went along. I'll be interested to see where they take it assuming it gets a second season.

If this was on Netflix I think it could be a huge hit, but probably won't get much buzz on Amazon.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
what's it about?
Dec 30th 2014
It's a comedy about classical musicians in NYC
Dec 30th 2014
I dug it
Dec 30th 2014
I am excited about s2 of alpha house
Dec 30th 2014
      It's pretty good
Dec 31st 2014
           Love Alpha House both seasons,
Jan 03rd 2015
                Yeah, I was only referring to the ones that got series orders
Jan 06th 2015
                i had no idea what it was about based on the subway ads
Jan 06th 2015
LOL. Agreed
Dec 30th 2014
Very Solid. Surprised it's not getting more love
Dec 30th 2014
Bernal and McDowell need to spend some time watching actual conductors.
Dec 30th 2014
LOL!! Watched it last night and from the first scene
Dec 31st 2014
Watched in a few days
Jan 03rd 2015
Didn't realize Rita the Cat was that old
Jan 05th 2015
was surprised how much i liked this show...
Jan 21st 2016

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 09:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "what's it about?"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 09:23 AM

3. "It's a comedy about classical musicians in NYC"
In response to Reply # 1

Though it's probably not as stuffy as that sounded just now.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 09:22 AM

2. "I dug it"
In response to Reply # 0

Probably not quite as good as Transparent. Really enjoyed Gael Garcia Bernal, dude hit just the right mix of being "quirky and eccentric" while also being believable. I was able to buy his as a genius at his art, which is typically not easy for TV shows to do (though that may be because I'm not exactly a classical music expert.) The little moments where the musicians were just talking with each other and going through their stuff was the most interesting. I didn't really care for McDowell's character as much; he seemed like a two dimensional old guy whose time has come.

I'd say Amazon is 4 for 4 on original comedies so far, though I realize everyone didn't like Betas as much as I did.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 08:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I am excited about s2 of alpha house"
In response to Reply # 2

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 10:32 AM

9. "It's pretty good"
In response to Reply # 7

A bit more surreal than S1, but if you liked the first, you'll definitely enjoy it.

------

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 08:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Love Alpha House both seasons,"
In response to Reply # 9

Can't get myself to start this be, has no idea it was a comedy till this post. Amazon really struggles with marketing their shows better.

I will say that one set in Oaris was unwatchable so they're definitely not batting a 1000

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 10:37 AM

13. "Yeah, I was only referring to the ones that got series orders"
In response to Reply # 11

The pilots have been all over the place. Though The Cosmopolitans is maybe getting a series order, even though I agree with you on that pilot.

------

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 02:21 PM

14. "i had no idea what it was about based on the subway ads"
In response to Reply # 11

>Amazon really struggles with marketing
>their shows better.

and can i just say the title shot bump graphic is horrendous. like some of the worst shit i've ever seen in life. and all the green screen shit is ass too.

these to me aren't even budget related but just shitty fucking talent. i overlooked it, or rather i shut up cause the wife ain't wanna hear all that, but on my own volition i probably would have passed.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 10:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "LOL. Agreed"
In response to Reply # 0

>If this was on Netflix I think it could be a huge hit, but
>probably won't get much buzz on Amazon.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 10:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Very Solid. Surprised it's not getting more love"
In response to Reply # 0

Most of the principal actors kill their roles. It does veer into cheeziness sometimes with the fish outta water plot(and furthermore on the plot, does it even have a main one, lol), but it's def. something that could be on HBO.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 12:23 PM

6. "Bernal and McDowell need to spend some time watching actual conductors."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-30-14 12:25 PM by stravinskian

I'm glad they got extras and a cast of musicians who can actually hold their instruments correctly, but the big stars seem not to have been cast for their musical background.

And the sound editors need to put a lot more work into synching everything up. Very nerdy complaints, but I think most of their target audience would be similarly fatigued.

Apart from minor complaints like that, I enjoyed it. But my ladyfriend (a musician who studied at Juilliard and traveled in those circles) hated it, more over the nonmusical elements than the musical ones. I think the show annoyed her in a similar way to how The Big Bang Theory bothers me. We're probably off the wagon as of the 3rd episode, unless the buzz gets really strong.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 10:01 AM

8. "LOL!! Watched it last night and from the first scene"
In response to Reply # 6

the conducting was so fucking awful.

Is Rodrigo supposed to be based on Gustavo Dudamel because if not I'd sue if I were him.

The musical shit doesn't quite annoy me 3 eps in. My wife loves it but she loves Bernal. Prolly make it through the season, bt kinda wondering where it can go.

The Oedipus Rocks was the funniest part of the show so far to me.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Gloworm
Charter member
6077 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 01:24 PM

10. "Watched in a few days"
In response to Reply # 0

If this was on regular TV, I likely wouldn't have stuck around past the first two episodes. But since all ten were ready and waiting, I went for it.
The series got a bit more interesting as things went on. I'm hoping the characters and stories gel more in season 2. Right now, I felt Malcolm McDowell's bitter old guy character was obvious. I can't quite get a feel for where GGB is going with Rodrigo. Would love to see a bit more diversity added to the main cast in next season. Took me half the season to figure out Hailey from whoever Saffron Burrows character is (still can't remember her name). Plus, the WackyFun roommate...

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Mon Jan-05-15 09:23 PM

12. "Didn't realize Rita the Cat was that old"
In response to Reply # 0

Let's see hoe many get that one...

Knocked this out in 2 days. Solid. Not great, but enjoyable. Agreed on McDowell. Somebody forgot to tell him Franklin and Bash was cancelled. But I digress

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Thu Jan-21-16 03:08 PM

15. "was surprised how much i liked this show..."
In response to Reply # 0

just watched both seasons in about a week...good show. kind of simple but enjoyable. i ended up liking a lot of the characters which is what carries it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #690623 Previous topic | Next topic