Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #686676

Subject: "Top Five (Rock, 2015) (SPOILERS)" Previous topic | Next topic
lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Thu Oct-09-14 02:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Top Five (Rock, 2015) (SPOILERS)"
Wed Dec-10-14 03:04 PM by ZooTown74

Saw this last night

i enjoyed myself
=)

word out of TIFF is its a hit
i had no idea i heard whispers is all

there are definitely some really good highlights

heres a review:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/09/tiff-top-five-chris-rock-review

Because of Chris Rock's Top Five, you'll soon see Jerry Seinfeld make it rain in a strip club. Not a Score's kind of club—picture Jerry inside the Bronx's Sue's Rendezvous' biggest Manhattan competitor.

And now the good news: you won't have to wait long to see Seinfeld's Comedians in Strip Clubs Getting Lap Dances. When the Toronto International Film Festival concludes this weekend, Top Five will stand as its biggest out-of-nowhere breakout. In the fest's priciest distribution deal, Paramount Pictures has just picked Rock's latest directing effort up for more than $12.5 million. The closest acquisition behind Top Five: the Ben Stiller/Naomi Watts hipster-skewering comedy While We're Young, another genuinely funny TIFF highpoint that's been snatched up A24 Films for $4 mil.

That's pennies compared to what Rock's film is now worth, and it's understandable why Paramount dropped so much coin on it. A quintessential crowd-pleaser, Top Five is TIFF 2014's most broadly appealing and swiftly entertaining world premiere. It's Chris Rock's Annie Hall, but instead of Woody Allen's Big Apple neuroses and smaller scale, Top Five is made for a generation raised on reality TV, rap music, and glossy pop culture. Moreover, Top Five seems largely indebted to Rock's old friend Louis C.K.; its meta feel and slice-of-life approach to Allen's walk through NYC are straight from the Louie playbook—except that Chris Rock's book is Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists. Top Five operates on two primary levels: it's a somewhat autobiographical character study but also an excuse for Chris Rock to show off his hip-hop jones and Yo! MTV Raps cred.

Rock plays Andre Allen, a Hollywood star who's like an amalgamation of Rock himself and Chris Tucker. After launching a massive stand-up comedy career, Allen became a movie star in a silly franchise called Hammy the Bear, which found him in a large, scraggly bear suit playing cops and robbers with co-star Luis Guzman. His three Hammy movies were worldwide juggernauts, but now Andre wants to be taken seriously. His latest film is Uprize, a "serious" play about the Haitian Revolution he hopes can become the "Haitian Django," since, by Andre's count, north of 2,000 white people are killed on screen. But the early reviews are scathing and the box office tracking is poor. Hoping to help Andre's image, his agent (Kevin Hart) sets up an all-day profile interview with hotshot New York Times reporter Chelsea Brown (Rosario Dawson) on the eve of Allen's highly publicized wedding to Bravo reality star Erica Long (Gabrielle Union).

Also written by Rock, Top Five doesn't have the most coherent story. What begins as a breezy two-hander between Rock and Dawson, with flashback scenes to Andre's booze-abused past and interludes with Allen's family and friends, gradually turns into a clunky romance. The ridiculous plot twist that prompts Chelsea to illogically drop all journalistic professionalism and jump Andre's bones is Top Five's worst example of Rock reaching too far into shock humor. It involves Workaholics star Anders Holm on a bed, spread out on all fours, and buck-ass naked. At yesterday's TIFF screening, it led to a few walk-outs from people who probably thought they'd entered another Toronto prestige picture and not Chris Rock doing the type of idiotic raunch you'd see in a Kevin Smith movie not about walruses.

Those same people probably didn't care much for Top Five's steady talk of KRS-One, CL Smooth, and Gang Starr, all of whom are referenced in the movie's best scenes. Chris Rock isn't much of a rom-com writer, but he's the real deal when it comes to staging naturalistic moments of people just shooting the shit, more often than not with a boom-bap edge. Top Five is Judd Apatow infused with Jigga.

In an interview detour, Allen takes Chelsea back to old Brooklyn apartment building to hang out with his cousins and closest friends; two of them are played by Tracy Morgan and Jay Pharaoh. They spend most of their time together debating over who the best rappers of all time are and naming their "top five" best MCs of all time; Rock, via Andre, picks "Jay Z, Nas, Scarface, Rakim, and Biggie," with LL Cool J as his sixth man. In a later scene, Chelsea's getting Andre's thoughts on a variety of influential entertainers as they ride a subway train, about Charlie Chaplin, Allen says, "He started this shit—he's the KRS-One of comedy."

Two other scenes incorporate hip-hop in ways that'll be catnip for rap blog headline writers. Andre's bachelor party is thrown in a neon-coated, booty-crowded stripper den; in one of the private table areas, he discusses marriage and pre-nips with buddies Jerry Seinfeld, Adam Sandler, and Whoopi Goldberg. When Future's "Same Damn Time" starts playing, your boy Jerry Seinfeld starts tossing dollar bills in the air like the Jewish Pac Man Jones. He also name-drops Wale, clearly showing that the Maybach Music rapper's The Mixtape About Nothing work with Jerry wasn't just a one-off gimmick. (Seinfeld's favorite rappers ever, divulged in Top Five: The Sugarhill Gang, Eminem, Wale, and Sir Mix-A-Lot.)

As for the other headline-ready scene, it's the best thing a certain jail-prone rapper has done cinematically since Hype Williams's Belly. The specifics are best left for you to see when Top Five opens in 2015, but Allen ends up in prison, and the guy in the cell across the way is none other than DMX. Andre asks X, "What are you doing here?" DMX's response: "I'm X, homie—I live in this motherfucker!" It's an amazing and bizarre moment that's had film critics doing the unexpected this week: praising a DMX performance at the Toronto Film Festival. Per LA Weekly critic Amy Nicholson's Twitter, "The breakout comedy star of TIFF is DMX."

And the breakout filmmaker, it turns out, is, weirdly enough, Chris Rock. Heading into a festival boasting starry new projects from acclaimed directors like Bennett Miller (Foxcatcher), Jean-Marc Velle (Wild), and David Cronenberg (Maps to the Stars), the comedian who directed Head of State wasn't on many critics and buyers' minds pre-TIFF. Nobody could have expected the star of Grown Ups and Grown Ups 2 to emerge as the fest's MVP.

Before TIFF, that would've sounded about as likely as ever seeing Jerry Seinfeld get ratchet to a Future song.

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I've been trying to see this for months
Oct 09th 2014
damn
Oct 12th 2014
      Karma worked in my favor
Dec 04th 2014
           niiice!
Dec 05th 2014
                RE: niiice!
Dec 05th 2014
December release and still no trailer
Oct 13th 2014
Trailer
Oct 16th 2014
Trailer - meh
Oct 18th 2014
      My thoughts exactly
Oct 19th 2014
how did y'all get early screening passes? hook a brotha up!
Oct 20th 2014
through a friend
Oct 20th 2014
:\
Nov 01st 2014
www.gofobo.com
Oct 20th 2014
      good lookin out
Nov 01st 2014
           This week gofobo.com
Dec 04th 2014
                i didn't realize you meant it was through that!
Dec 05th 2014
                     Yeah
Dec 05th 2014
                          just signed up
Dec 05th 2014
One of my favorites of 2014. Hands down. If you're black and you
Nov 25th 2014
was trying hard not to
Dec 05th 2014
yep some people were droppin spoilers as soon as they hit social media
Dec 22nd 2014
Saw this at the red carpet screening tonight
Dec 04th 2014
chris mentioned this
Dec 05th 2014
the chris is doing an awesome round of press for this
Dec 05th 2014
Chris Rock: The Rolling Stone Interview
Dec 05th 2014
New York Mag: In Conversation CHRIS ROCK
Dec 05th 2014
I like the Boomerang comparison
Dec 10th 2014
He wanted Chappelle in the movie
Dec 10th 2014
Top Five moments in this movie:
Dec 10th 2014
that cameo cinched it for me
Dec 10th 2014
      That might've been his best work ever...I was never a big fan
Dec 10th 2014
           same here
Dec 11th 2014
Really, really funny and sweet as well.
Dec 10th 2014
about time people got on board with leslie
Dec 11th 2014
Dec 11th 2014
      Naw that complex article ruined the cameo
Dec 11th 2014
           Jeah I'm glad I didn't read that til now either
Dec 11th 2014
           disagree
Dec 11th 2014
           Oh if someone had ruined that for me, I woulda slapped em
Dec 14th 2014
A great new direction for Rock as a filmmaker.
Dec 12th 2014
Was it me or did Rosario look just like Goapele in this?
Dec 14th 2014
^^^^
Dec 15th 2014
i liked it.
Dec 14th 2014
Yep
Dec 14th 2014
Chris Rock addressed this in his NPR interview
Dec 15th 2014
He's definitely a thinker.
Dec 15th 2014
^^
Dec 15th 2014
Yep!
Dec 16th 2014
that was the one part of the movie
Dec 17th 2014
hah!
Dec 18th 2014
Yeah, easily the worst part of the film.
Dec 15th 2014
its homophobic to joke about gays now?
Dec 15th 2014
It was literal fear of homosexuality.
Dec 15th 2014
      Nope
Dec 15th 2014
           you dont get to tell him
Dec 16th 2014
                **two snaps & a twist**
Dec 16th 2014
                     "it's hard out here for a homophobe"
Dec 16th 2014
                          But wait he gets to tell us what kind of sex straight men like?
Dec 17th 2014
                               explain. i don't think you're making the point you think you're making.
Dec 17th 2014
                               http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/auto-chris-rock-quote-202072.jpeg
Dec 17th 2014
                               a man who likes a finger in his butt isn't necessarily gay.
Dec 18th 2014
Dec 18th 2014
                                    We agree but you went a step further and said a guy who likes a finger
Dec 19th 2014
                                         ... huh?
Dec 19th 2014
                                         liking butt sex doesn't necessarily make a guy any more likely to be gay
Dec 19th 2014
                                         Whatev.
Dec 19th 2014
I don't see your basis for categorically denying that it happens.
Dec 15th 2014
i'm sure you don't.
Dec 16th 2014
glad you wrote this
Dec 18th 2014
Since Chris Rock is an ignorant homophobe now, lemme ask this
Dec 18th 2014
same here.
Dec 18th 2014
Dec 18th 2014
sorry, the joke was funny and not homophobic...but cook on
Dec 22nd 2014
      thanks, Calico.
Dec 22nd 2014
Absolutely worth seeing
Dec 15th 2014
RE: Top Five (Rock, 2015) (SPOILERS)
Dec 16th 2014
Was anyone else not feeling the joke about his dad?
Dec 17th 2014
RE: Was anyone else not feeling the joke about his dad?
Dec 17th 2014
I didn't think that was meant to get laughs.
Dec 17th 2014
That scene seemed to be played for more of a shock than a laugh
Dec 17th 2014
Yeah, that wasn't meant to be funny.
Dec 18th 2014
maaaaaaan that wet mattress.....that killed me
Dec 18th 2014
me too!
Dec 18th 2014
i nearly choked on my popcorn and cried
Dec 18th 2014
oh god yes
Dec 18th 2014
i've seen this movie twice this weekend
Dec 20th 2014
very funny and speaking of cameos SHOULD have spoilers in the subject li...
Dec 21st 2014
RE: very funny and speaking of cameos SHOULD have spoilers in the subjec...
Dec 22nd 2014
JB Smoove was really really good
Dec 21st 2014
Good, cute funny flick
Dec 22nd 2014
One of the best movies this year
Dec 23rd 2014
my dad actually eats spaghetti
Dec 26th 2014
what a good movie
Dec 28th 2014
Good flick, highly recommended
Dec 29th 2014
Funny movie, the heart moments fell a little flat
Jan 01st 2015
Finally saw it today.
Jan 02nd 2015
Bought the bluray
Mar 22nd 2015
In the first 20 mins I thought this was going to be another Rock movie
Apr 14th 2015

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu Oct-09-14 03:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I've been trying to see this for months"
In response to Reply # 0

each time I get a pass for a screening, something comes up. Last time, they canceled the screening. I didn't find out till I got to the theater.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

lfresh
92696 posts
Sun Oct-12-14 10:50 PM

2. "damn"
In response to Reply # 1

>each time I get a pass for a screening, something comes up.
>Last time, they canceled the screening. I didn't find out till
>I got to the theater.

its worth seeing
pleasant surprise
i wasnt sure what to expect
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu Dec-04-14 10:40 AM

13. "Karma worked in my favor"
In response to Reply # 2

So I kept missing screenings for this movie throughout the fall. One time they cancelled the screening and didn't tell anyone. Another time I called and they said there were no more passes. Well, I got an email Monday for a pass to the red carpet premiere at the Ziegfeld here in NY. So I jumped at the opportunity and secured my pass.

Eventhough I missed all those previous screenings, I was able to go to the actual red carpet premiere. Chris Rock introduced the film and I saw numerous celebrities. It was a weird set up because the celebrities were just hanging out and mingling amongst the general movie going audience. I wasn't expecting that. I saw Ice-T, Michael Rappaport, Louis CK, Bruce Bruce, Cedric, Gayle King, JB Smoove, and Bobby Cannavale. I definitely lucked up by getting a chance to attend the red carpet premiere rather than those other screenings.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 11:36 AM

16. "niiice!"
In response to Reply # 13

>So I kept missing screenings for this movie throughout the
>fall. One time they cancelled the screening and didn't tell
>anyone. Another time I called and they said there were no more
>passes. Well, I got an email Monday for a pass to the red
>carpet premiere at the Ziegfeld here in NY. So I jumped at the
>opportunity and secured my pass.
>
>Eventhough I missed all those previous screenings, I was able
>to go to the actual red carpet premiere. Chris Rock introduced
>the film and I saw numerous celebrities. It was a weird set up
>because the celebrities were just hanging out and mingling
>amongst the general movie going audience. I wasn't expecting
>that. I saw Ice-T, Michael Rappaport, Louis CK, Bruce Bruce,
>Cedric, Gayle King, JB Smoove, and Bobby Cannavale. I
>definitely lucked up by getting a chance to attend the red
>carpet premiere rather than those other screenings.

love bobby cannavale
you definitely caught a good one
lol

~~~~
~~~~

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 03:18 PM

24. "RE: niiice!"
In response to Reply # 16

>
>love bobby cannavale
>you definitely caught a good one
>lol

I saw Bobby while I stood outside the theater after the film. He left in a hurry.

I also saw Hailey Marie Norman. I didn't recognize her at the time because she straightened and lightened her hair. I didn't realize it was her until the next day when I saw press pictures of the event.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 12:51 PM

3. "December release and still no trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

This looks like its going to be popular and good which could make it a box office smash especially as it will be so different from what else is released in December as Oscar bait.

I've been trying to find a trailer but there is nothing yet. Strange with less than two months to go before release.

This guy liked it

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/review-chris-rocks-top-five-is-simply-a-comedy-smash

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Oct-16-14 10:32 PM

4. "Trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jejCmmawzLY

~~~~
~~~~

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Sat Oct-18-14 04:16 AM

5. "Trailer - meh"
In response to Reply # 4

i'll probably see it but it doesn't look that strong from the trailer they cut.

It doesn't even seem that funny given the quality they've got in the cast.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Sun Oct-19-14 05:57 PM

6. "My thoughts exactly"
In response to Reply # 5

Maybe if I get a screening pass lol but I dunno about this one

Tony Sparks
Member since Nov 20th 2007
3206 posts
Mon Oct-20-14 08:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "how did y'all get early screening passes? hook a brotha up!"
In response to Reply # 0

lfresh
92696 posts
Mon Oct-20-14 08:53 AM

8. "through a friend"
In response to Reply # 7

sorry
~~~~
~~~~

Tony Sparks
3206 posts
Sat Nov-01-14 09:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. ":\"
In response to Reply # 8

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Oct-20-14 10:33 AM

9. "www.gofobo.com"
In response to Reply # 7

http://www.gofobo.com/

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Tony Sparks
3206 posts
Sat Nov-01-14 09:01 PM

11. "good lookin out"
In response to Reply # 9

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu Dec-04-14 10:41 AM

14. "This week gofobo.com"
In response to Reply # 11

Gave me passes to the red carpet premiere. I've never gotten that from them before. Usually it's regular screenings the week before release. So that was a pleasant surprise.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 11:37 AM

17. "i didn't realize you meant it was through that!"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri Dec-05-14 11:37 AM by lfresh

thats pretty cool
=)
~~~~
~~~~

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 03:15 PM

23. "Yeah"
In response to Reply # 17

I've been using gofobo.com for years, but never got an invitation to an official premiere. It makes up for all those other times I tried to see Top Five and couldn't.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 06:29 PM

25. "just signed up"
In response to Reply # 23

quickly though so i'm not sure of the process

thanks though!
~~~~
~~~~

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 08:03 PM

12. "One of my favorites of 2014. Hands down. If you're black and you"
In response to Reply # 0

don't like this shit, we trading you at the next racial draft b.

Not only is it funny, but it has a nice sweet story in the center.

Don't let people spoil the cameos for you though.

Chris Rock said in our Q&A that almost all of Cedric's shit is improved as well as all the shit with his family in the projects.

The best of SNL right now is in that scene.

Can't wait to see this shit again.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 11:38 AM

18. "was trying hard not to"
In response to Reply # 12

>Don't let people spoil the cameos for you though.

not sure how to discuss without

i figure i'd give it a few more weeks before we get into it

meanwhile i've been reading chris' interviews
which i'll post up shortly

~~~~
~~~~

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 08:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
88. "yep some people were droppin spoilers as soon as they hit social media"
In response to Reply # 12

>Chris Rock said in our Q&A that almost all of Cedric's shit is
>improved as well as all the shit with his family in the
>projects.
>
i was talking to someone about another person in the movie who is funnier out side of the movie, and i explained that Rock probably let the comedians do more improv and that person just didn't get to be a funny as they could have been...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu Dec-04-14 10:45 AM

15. "Saw this at the red carpet screening tonight"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought it was a funny movie. Technically, it wasn't the best as some of the pacing seemed off. But many funny scenes. I died at the Cedric Hotel Room scene. Rosario was stunning as usual and she gave a really good performance. She was very likeable and I can't see how you could not fall in love with her. Seinfeld as you thought you'd never see him was funny. And that cameo by was the most "WTF?" cameo since Mike Tyson in "The Hangover".

Overall, I would give this movie a B+.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 11:40 AM

19. "chris mentioned this"
In response to Reply # 15

>I died at the Cedric Hotel Room scene. Rosario was stunning as
>usual and she gave a really good performance. She was very
>likeable and I can't see how you could not fall in love with
>her.

how he went about casting
i love his thinking and this round of interviews for this movie

he said it takes a certain type of actore to be believable in certain roles
and he was right
rosario to her credit i never questioned as a mother or writer

~~~~
~~~~

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 11:42 AM

20. "the chris is doing an awesome round of press for this"
In response to Reply # 0

i'll post them in here

http://grantland.com/features/chris-rock-interview-qanda-about-celebrity-comedy-cosby-and-the-art-of-casting/

School of Rock
A conversation with Chris Rock about rap, comedy, Cosby, and the art of casting.

I once saw Chris Rock in New York attempting to be a New Yorker. I was getting a sandwich near my office in a building that shared a space with a gym. There was Rock, alone. On his ears sat a pair of cartoonishly large, Princess Leia–like headphones.

I’m sure there was music playing on those headphones, but they screamed to me, “Please, just let me be for a moment.” They were world-blocker-outers, those musical earmuffs. They seemed to work, too. Sure, there was a head nod here or there, but for the most part, he got to just be. At that moment — for a moment — I was happy for him, a man who I had never met and had been watching nearly my entire pop-culture-absorbing life.

It took Chris Rock four years to direct a second film, and seven more to direct a third. Following 2003’s Head of State and 2007’s I Think I Love My Wife, he brings us Top Five, set for nationwide release on December 12. It’s a career-defining moment for Rock as an actor and, perhaps more importantly, as a director.

As in the previous two films, Rock stars. But one of the many things that sets this role apart is that his character, Andre Allen, is a comedian. Andre Allen is not Chris Rock. But it’s hard not to watch Andre Allen without thinking about Chris Rock.

Allen has an identifiable arc of stardom. He began as a hotshot comedian, landed the lead role in a financially lucrative and critically panned trilogy (starring as Hammy the Bear, a police bear), and is now attempting to be thought of as a serious actor in an upcoming drama. Allen’s star has fallen since the Hammy films, but the one thing that has kept Allen relevant is his engagement to a reality star played by Gabrielle Union — a celebrity engagement being documented on television.

When we meet Allen, he’s promoting his film and is being profiled by Chelsea Brown (Rosario Dawson), a journalist at the New York Times. What follows is a series of events (many of which revolve around a running shtick of various characters ranking their “top five” rappers) taking place as Chelsea follows Andre around and learns more about him than she ever expected.

After seeing a film about Bizarro Chris Rock being interviewed about his life and upcoming film, it’s odd to then sit down and interview the real Chris Rock about his life and upcoming film. But two days after I saw Top Five, we met at New York’s Carlyle Hotel, in an ornate bar-lounge adorned with murals of Madeline in Central Park.

This comically elite setting was a hideaway, a place where no one seemed to care who Chris Rock was. I found that borderline insulting, but like he did with those headphones, Rock seemed to find it extremely relaxing.

♦♦♦

I’ve done very few of these type of Q&As, because I’m not a huge fan of celebrity interviews. Because they tend to be—

They’re bad.

They tend to be bad. The funny thing about the film is, to an interviewer, the interview Rosario Dawson’s journalist character gets with the lead is the dream interview.

The dream of getting that much access? Yes. You can kind of get it — because I’ve done it — if it’s like a cover story in Rolling Stone. People cover stories are like a week, and they have to have access to your house and all this other stuff, so there are circumstances when you get it.

You did a roundtable with The Hollywood Reporter recently and you said “you’re never meeting someone, you’re meeting their representative.”

Yes, you are.

When you’re being interviewed, do you want to get to a point where the person has convinced you to break down that representative part?

If we were, say, friends, there would be silence from time to time. You know, you need to check your phone, you’re eating, whatever. But you don’t really want that. Hopefully over the course of the interview, though, I let you in on something you didn’t get before.

There’s a point in the movie when your character, Andre Allen, keeps saying to the journalist, “Can we talk about the film, can we talk about the film?” when he’s asked about personal things. When you are going through this press process, do you ever get to a point where you’re like, “I want to talk about literally anything else but the film”?

No. I mean, I’m selling a movie. And I don’t do press unless I’ve got a movie coming out. Like literally, why would I do press? People always want you to do press. You never see me on Letterman or something unless I have a movie coming out. Your time in front of the camera is finite. It’s not definite. People interviewing you, it’s all finite. You should definitely use it to better yourself.

This kid’s going run a company someday. This kid’s going to green-light my movie someday.

This kid probably owns this bar.

He might.

One of the movie’s themes is this idea that when Allen got sober he stopped being funny. And how he had to find it within himself to be funny again. Do you think that’s true to any extent?

The whole sober/funny, unsober/not funny thing, that’s one of these questions we’ve been asking ourselves forever. You know, people always wondered about Richard Pryor, was he as funny not on drugs as he was on drugs. Lenny Bruce, same thing. Sam Kinison, same thing. George Carlin’s probably the only one I saw be as funny as a sober person as he was as a drug addict.

Do you think it’s harder to be funny once you get rich and famous?

I hope not. I mean, most of our biggest comedians are kind of rich.

Yes, but the idea of “my profile is big, but if I get complacent, I’m done” has to be constantly on your mind, right?

If you get comfortable, you just start doing work for the money, you’re done. You’re a done artist. And that goes for an author, a director, anybody. Once you’re not doing it for the sake of proving yourself and challenging yourself, you’re done.

Why did you rename the movie Top Five?

What do you mean?

When I saw the original rollout for the movie, it was called Finally Famous.

It was Finally Famous. I don’t know, Finally Famous almost sounded like a rom-com.

It’s also the name of a pretty mediocre Big Sean album.

Yeah … Big Sean’s name kept coming up. I was like, you really think I’m biting Big Sean? Nothing against Big Sean. Shout-out to Big Sean. Very good on the “Clique” record. But, you know. It’s weird, the “top five” thing wasn’t that big in the initial script. But doing top fives kind of took over the movie. By the time we got to Seinfeld doing a top five, we were like “OK — that’s the name of the movie.”

There’s a history of films that feature a bunch of black folk in a room — with no white people present — shooting the shit, arguing over lists, cracking jokes. Barbershop, The Nutty Professor, whatever. There’s a scene like that in Top Five, with Leslie Jones, Tracy Morgan, Jay Pharoah, and other funny black comedians in a living room. Were you actively trying to differentiate your scene from similar scenes in other films?

I never really thought about those movies. No disrespect. Those movies are just a little broader than this one. Even the way the camerawork is kind of in a real place, where those movies are like movies. I tried to shoot this like a documentary, almost. So it could feel real, feel like you can get lost in it.

Was that scene easy to pull off because you had so much talent in that room?

You had a lot of talent, but you still had to hit the plot points. It was a fun scene to shoot because you’ve got a lot of funny people around, just going for it. But people think, Oh, you guys just ad-libbed all of that — no. Lots of plot points in that pay off later. Literally setting up the ending in that scene.

One thing about that scene: the throwing around of “n​-​-​-​-” in an almost celebratory way, in the sense that it’s very casual and not being used to prove a point, but that’s just how people often talk in that space.

All of us are from around there, kind of. So it made sense.

It felt very familiar. When you make that scene, do you care about who laughs?

I can’t really think about it. You make a piece of art that you like and you put it out. You have no control after that. You literally don’t. Like, noooo control. There’s no television cable network that only goes into black homes. That goes for writing a movie, doing stand-up, or Snoop Dogg making a record. It’s a funny scene!

One thing that came through that you’ve discussed in other press you’ve done is how the film gives a glimpse of what it’s like to be black and famous.

A little bit.

Even being black and having a platform of any kind. This idea that with black fame comes certain responsibilities that other folks don’t have to deal with. Things other white actors don’t have to think about. Was that a conscious thing you wanted to come through the film?

I definitely made a point to tell Leslie to tell me to “Stay black” in one scene. No one tells Brad Pitt to “Stay white.” “Ben Affleck, stay white.” What the fuck are you talking about, “stay white”? I just tried to do a movie in a realistic tone. People always think, What were you trying to say? I’m not trying to say nothing, I’m just trying to entertain people, trying to make things that don’t bore me. Trying to make things that feel authentic. Trying to make a movie that I haven’t seen. In a tone I haven’t seen. That’s what I’m trying to do.

Does that get annoying that people think you have to have some underlying meaning behind everything?

It’s not annoying. It’s kind of cute. It’s kinda Awww, really, you thought all of that. It’s kind of flattering. I’m just writing jokes. But if you think it’s all that, then cool.

Yeah, that’s not a you-specific thing —

I’m not Public Enemy, I’m not KRS-One — I love those guys. Don’t get me wrong. I think I’m more Ice Cube.

How so?

He stumbles across political themes from time to time, but he’s literally just entertaining people. You might have the most militant record in the world and then he makes Are We There Yet?

And he’s killing Bud Light commercials. So, um —

Coors Light.

Wow. That’s on me.

Someday he’ll do Bud Light. Right now he’s at Coors. He’ll move up.

How do you feel, at this stage of your career, about being asked to be a role model?

Be a role model to your kids. You just are. Your kids watch you every day. They kind of do what you do. But the whole “Be a role model to people” is kind of racist when you think about it. It’s not like, “Get on the back of the bus, n​-​-​-​-” racist. It suggests that my behavior is not natural. It’s like, “Hey I don’t beat my wife because I don’t beat my wife, not because I’m trying to help the race out.” Know what I mean? I read because I want to read. It’s like, you have a negative image of your people as a whole if you’re putting all of your eggs in my basket. Or a basket of my behavior. Really? I don’t smoke crack because I don’t want to smoke crack, not because I’m trying to help out. So you’re saying if I wasn’t famous, I’d just be in jail and cracked up if no one was watching me? No.

Are there any aspects of the Andre Allen character that you envy? Because a lot of the knee-jerk reaction to this character is “This is Chris Rock had everything gone south.” But are there aspects of him that you appreciate?

I appreciate anybody that can have a breakdown. Because breakdowns allow you to clean the slate. After a public breakdown — you can do anything. It’s only going to go up after a public breakdown. It becomes “At least he’s not tearing up a supermarket” … “At least he’s not trashing a hotel room.” There’s something admirable to anyone letting you know exactly how they feel and exactly how mad they are.

Which is also a classic example of why Richard Pryor is so beloved.

He didn’t keep any of it in. He’s like, “I’m mad, I’m so mad, I’m going to shoot out the tires of this car.” I’ve been that mad, but I restrained myself.

Andre Allen is mostly known for a character named Hammy that he played in a movie. Throughout the film, people shout “Hammy” at Allen wherever he goes. Watching that shed some light on what that hounding must be like in real life.

I’m Pookie. Wherever I go, especially if I’m around black people or Hispanic people, dude — I’m Pookie from New Jack City, forever. And I hear Pookie all day, every day, screamed from blocks away — “Pookaaaayy! What up, Pook!” That’s what it is.

I was thinking about that because there was a point in your interview with The New Yorker, where you alluded to the fact that you don’t really have a “Hammy.” But in the right audience, you do.

VH1 plays New Jack City as much as AMC plays The Godfather. New Jack City is always on. MTV plays it. It’s that movie for a lot of people of a certain age.

And it wasn’t last year.

It’s 20 years old.

Do you wish it was a different character?

Nah, nah — it’s great. I like that people have seen me grow up. Some guy was interviewing me the other day, and he was like, “This movie’s like Boomerang, except now you run the company.”

The idea of growing up in public is now a very normalized thing. That wasn’t true 20 years ago. What year did you start at Saturday Night Live?

I started at SNL around ’90-91. That’s around the time people started seeing me. I think I’m Gonna Git You Sucka comes out around ’88 or ’89. So that, then Beverly Hills Cop II and SNL.1

But between films and stand-up, you can plot how you’ve felt about things over the past 20 years.

I’m old. I’m ooooooold.

The bellhop asked me if I was making a delivery when I walked in.

It’s the Carlyle. I watched a fight with Al Pacino here, of all people. Me, Al Pacino, DiCaprio, Matt Dillon — it’s like all the Italian guys hung out together one night to watch a Mayweather fight and I got kind of invited.

You just called yourself old — do you feel old? Do you talk to a lot of young comedians?

I talk to Hannibal . I talk to Jerrod . My brother does stand-up. I talk to guys a lot. I don’t feel old because I feel like I’m in the same business. And I feel somewhat competitive with them.

Which is good.

I did some little club shows and had Hannibal open up, but I was like, “I want to be better than fucking Hannibal,” know what I mean? So in that aspect I don’t feel old. I guess when the day comes — and it’s going to come — when those guys are better than me, yes, I will feel old. But right now, I can still take most of them.

Do you feel you’re trying to target your comedy for your age group? Are you trying to get 20-year-olds the same way you were?

I don’t think I’m ever going to get 20-year-olds again. But also not really targeted for my age group, per se …

I don’t really know what your target really ever was.

It’s weird, because when I’m in the States, it’s a little older — when I go overseas, it is really young. I get offers to do colleges. I don’t know, it’s not really a number thing, just energy. Do you have enough energy to entertain a 25-year-old? Carlin had it until he was 70, was knocking out colleges. I think I’m probably best if you’re 30. Paying some bills and have had a woman or man break your fucking heart — I’m the comedian for you. If you’re mad at your taxes and shit and you’re, like, not really a Republican or a Democrat.

So if you like to question things.

Yes, if you like to question things, then I’m the comedian for you. Sometimes that’s not a kid thing. But I’m cool with it. The 20-year-olds that like me are really fucking smart.

Do you think it requires a strong knowledge of your back catalogue?

I’m sure there’s a bunch of kids that watched me on SNL the other night that probably never saw me before. Or thought I was the guy from Grown Ups and whatever the fuck. Probably never even saw my stand-up. So if that was your first time seeing me, hopefully you think that I can hang.

I once overheard a conversation between two college-age kids — they didn’t know LL Cool J was a rapper. They knew him from NCIS.

Yeah, that’s real easy.

I was like, “Damn, that makes 27-year-old me feel old as shit.”

Yeah. I mean, it’s real easy. LL hasn’t had a hit in probably 25 years. Like, an actual hit. Not a record that’s on the radio. A hit. That, like, affected the culture. Since, like, “Doin’ It.” I mean, I guess “Headsprung” played at the clubs, but “Doin’ It” was like that shit. It was amazing.

You could say the same for Cube. Probably like 15 years.

Probably about 20 years, too. Even Snoop’s been a minute.

Nah.

I mean, he ends up on someone else’s record every now and then.

Pharrell will keep Snoop relevant until the end of time.

Yeah.

But that happens. I have to imagine you don’t expect that to happen to you. Or you don’t want that to happen to you.

It will happen at some point. I’m sure it’s happening already. But, you know, I try to mix it up. And it’s not like I’m pandering to young people. You know, if you get an offer to host the Grammys and an offer to host the BET Awards — host the BET Awards. Because it skews younger and you’ll get more new fans doing that than even doing the Oscars. And that’s kind of the name of the game: How many new fans are you going to get doing this? It’s all about new fans. My kids don’t know who Eddie Murphy is, my kids don’t know who Madonna is.

How old are your kids?

My oldest is 12.

In a moment like this, are you proud of Hannibal for using his stand-up as a platform to talk about some real stuff? Or is it odd, as someone that has some connection or relationship with Hannibal and Cosby?

You know what, I talked to Hannibal a couple of times. He had no idea this thing was going to blow up like this. I can’t speak for him, but he did not do it for what’s happened. He thought he was just telling a joke to the people there. He had no idea it was going to blow up.

Is this issue something you don’t want to touch? Since you have some history with Bill Cosby critiquing your jokes?

Let it clear up. I don’t know. I literally don’t know. I wish I knew — I just don’t know. I don’t see the pictures — it’s all just people talking.

I mean, they’ve been talking.

They’ve been talking. Yeah. I don’t know. The whole thing is sad.

It’s gone through the emotional cycle, from confusion to anger to disgust to sad.

It’s just sad. It’s exhausting.

While you were writing Top Five, did you have these actors in your head?

I definitely was like, I need Cedric . I definitely was like, I need JB . I didn’t even know what part Leslie was going to play, but I was like, “Leslie’s going to be in this movie.” Brian Regan, I knew I had to find a part for him. Ben Vereen, same. For the leading women, we read a bunch of people. A lot of really cool actresses came in and read. And Rosario seemed like — with certain occupations, when you have them in a movie, if you don’t cast the right person, it’s like c’maaaaaan. Writer is one of those occupations. If you’re not of a certain intelligence, you can’t play a writer. There’s women and men who have played writers and you’re like, “Stop it. Just stop it. You don’t write. You don’t live in your head.” Writer, lawyer, doctor — certain professions you have to project a certain intelligence, a certain weight, to carry it. And Rosario definitely has those qualities. You believe her. She’s that smart. You believe she’s a mom with this kid. It had to feel real. Just wanted to make a real-feeling movie.

What about Gabrielle Union as the reality star?

She was right. She lives in Miami, she’s friends with some of these reality girls, so she was able to approach it from a human standpoint, where she wasn’t making fun of reality stars.

I think it’s easy to overlook her performance in this movie.

I think it’s the best thing she’s ever done.

You can’t avoid reality TV, so it was a very identifiable plotline.

You can’t. And it’s people on these shows. With feelings. And a mother and a father. And kids. Feelings, because they’re people. They’re confident sometimes, and other times they’re really vulnerable. So it was like, let’s make them into people.

Not knowing much about the film, just seeing the cast, it’s like, “I have no idea what this is about to be.” You don’t expect to show up at the end of the movie, for example. It’s not predictable.

And it kind of works. It’s like, Oh shit, it kind of works.

Rounding up this group of actors to be in your film, is that a validating thing for you, being able to pull this off?

It’s about having good relations, but let me put it this way: I don’t think anyone did a favor for me. If you called them up with that script, you could get all of them. Because you’re offering them real parts. Maybe … OK — Kevin Hart did me a favor. Kev’s busy. Kev did me a favor. But he still got a good part, though. A real part. And when you call up actors and you’ve got a real part, you can get them. And everyone’s got a real part. If you’re Cedric and you read that, you’re like, “Oh, shit, I’m not getting offered this anywhere else. I’m going to score. I’m going to have the funniest scene in the movie.” JB — any movie you see JB in, he’s crazy. In this, he got to be the grounding force. He doesn’t have any scenes like these in other movies.

The tricky thing is that, because a lot of the actors in the film feel like they’re comfortable in these roles, you want to say that thing people say: “It’s like they’re not even acting.”

I get a lot of that. It’s like, no — we have a script. But they don’t get to play that stuff. Rosario’s one of the most beautiful women in the fucking world, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen her in a romantic comedy. Never seen her with a guy in a romance, ever. What the fuck is that? Gabs is funny, Gabs never gets to be funny, and she’s hysterical. So if you come to people — if you come to me with a really good part, it’s like, Yes. Let’s do it. I don’t care what the money is, I want to be in good shit.

Which is slightly connected to why I thought the Tyler Perry joke in the film was so funny.

He called me. He liked it. He told me Lionsgate wants him to do a Madea horror movie. I would actually go see a Madea horror movie.

That’s just proof he will continue to win.

He’s the Puff Daddy of film. He’s like, “Yo, we won’t stop, did I tell you that we won’t stop.”

By the way …

You’ve got a Puffy shirt on?

I had to button the other shirt up for the Carlyle.

Wow. Speaking of, I’ve got to see if I can borrow his house for New Year’s.

Is that how it works? “Puff, can I borrow your house?” That’s a very dope Airbnb life you’re living.

Well, he has a house in Miami. It’s fucking amazing. But, if no one’s staying there …
~~~~
~~~~

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 11:46 AM

21. "Chris Rock: The Rolling Stone Interview"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/chris-rock-the-rolling-stone-interview-20141203

One of the all-time greats on Kanye, Louis C.K., and how he finally conquered the movies

By Brian Hiatt | December 3, 2014
As Chris Rock would be the first to tell you, stand-up comedy brilliance doesn't necessarily translate to movie stardom. Onstage, Rock is a virtuoso whose biggest challenge is living up to his own legend; onscreen, he's third banana to Adam Sandler or, at best, a well-liked cartoon zebra. "Richard Pryor has two good movies out of 30 or 40," Rock says. "Rodney Dangerfield had one. So it's easy to look at history and go, 'Maybe I'm not going to get one.' " He pauses. "But I guess you've got to make your own history."

Rock, who always idolized Woody Allen, is taking one last shot at the writer-director-star thing with December 12th's Top Five, a loose, flashback-laden, oft-uproarious chronicle of a day in the life of a very famous, very bummed-out comedian who's not quite Chris Rock. He directed two previous movies, 2003's Head of State (its improbable premise: a community organizer becomes the first black president), and 2007's unjustly reviled I Think I Love My Wife, but, Rock says, watching Louie and Curb Your Enthusiasm helped inspire him to make a film closer to his life. "This movie is the closest I've gotten to capturing the tone of my stand-up," he says. Rock made Top Five independently, with the support of producer Scott Rudin, and a studio bidding war broke out after an ecstatically received screening at the Toronto Film Festival in September.

Rock arrives alone – no assistant, no publicist – for lunch one early--November afternoon in Manhattan's meatpacking district, pulling out earbuds that had been blasting LCD Soundsystem; he still uses an actual iPod. "Music takes away some of your phone battery," he says. "God forbid someone's trying to kill me and I can't call for help because I was listening to Ja Rule." Rock struggles with normal human interaction a lot less than some of his comedic peers: In conversation, he's instantly warm and engaging, as funny as you'd hope him to be without being manically "on." Still, as he riffs on life, work, politics and the love for hip-hop that suffuses Top Five, he occasionally slips into the faux-aggrieved preacher-man shout of his onstage persona – a sound familiar and loud enough to turn heads at every nearby table.

People seemed freaked by your Saturday Night Live jokes about the Freedom Tower and the Boston Marathon attacks.
I work my jokes out the same way they do polls for the president. I go into clubs randomly – nothing to advertise that I'm going to be there – and try out the jokes. If they work, they stay in the act, and if they don't, they don't stay. And those jokes seemed fine. Anyway, it wasn't any edgier than when Sam Kinison did the jokes about Jesus' last words – and I was with him that night, his guest at Saturday Night Live. I was at Catch a Rising Star, joking about crack at this white club on the Upper East Side, with no one laughing except one guy in the back row, who turned out to be Sam. He's like, "Hey, what are you doing tomorrow? I'm hosting Saturday Night Live. You want to come?" I saw him do Jesus' last words – like, he was doing the hammer thing, banging on the stage. I watched him snort coke right before he went on! I was Pat Boone compared to that night.

But it's kind of good that you can still freak people out, isn't it?
I'm just thinking about making people laugh. I hate when guys talk about "I'm edgy." The worst comics think that way. It's not edgy if you're talking about it! You just live it. Tupac didn't talk about it. He just lived it. It sneaks into your work. Richard Pryor wasn't edgy. Richard Pryor was just Richard Pryor. I'm not Marilyn Manson. I'm not trying to shock people.

Was being writer-director-star a key ambition for you?
It's not a key ambition. But who's making those movies? If someone was going to hand me something like Top Five, I'd be more than happy to act in it . And, you know, live a life. But if you're a black comic, it's "What version of Beverly Hills Cop can you do?" And by the way, if someone wants to cast me in one of those movies, I'd do those, too. But I've got arty taste, which is great and not great at the same time. I'd rather work with Wes Anderson, but I don't look like Owen Wilson. I'd love to work with Alexander Payne and Richard Link-later. But they don't really do those movies with black people that much. So you gotta make your own. And the black movies of substance tend to be civil rights.

Have you turned down roles in those movies?
Yes. Put it this way: I don't want to be in anything that happened before the Jackson 5. Anything before them is just black misery. Everything before the Jackson 5 is essentially slavery, or close to it. So as far as I'm concerned, Michael, Marlon, Tito, Jermaine and Jackie ended slavery.

And look how you've repaid them in your stand-up.
I know, you'd think I would treat them better!

You grew up being bussed to a white school in Brooklyn, where you were subjected to constant racial bullying. Was it hard to trust white people after that?
You know what? Even in all the misery, there was always that Brad Pitt, 12 Years a Slave white person that was nice . Yeah. Davey Moskowitz was nice to me. But it's weird. In my family, the older brother was a Five-Percenter, a couple of my younger brothers, for a time – they're not now – were Black Israelites. So there's a cloud of rage around me, but being an artist kind of changes that. No matter what you thought coming in, what ignorant thing you believed, you're in show business for two years, you're like, "OK, I was wrong." It's hard to be mad at any particular group of people when you're an artist.

You seem unlikely to have ever been anything like a Five-Percenter, anyway.
Yeah, you just got to be really logical when you're a comedian – to a fault. Like a lawyer's got to believe in the law.

You said that losing your father when you were 23 turned you cold.
I don't know if cold is the right word. It's just that when you know people die, it's hard to really get that emotional about anything. Like that scene in Annie Hall, where Woody is at the psychiatrist talking about how the universe is expanding and we're all going to die – so what's the fucking point? And there is something about your dad dying that makes you go, "What's the point? What's the point of any of this shit? What's the point of taking this test in school?"

He didn't get to see your success.
He met Eddie Murphy – I guess that's some of my success. Yeah, when your dad dies, you know you're alone. It's just like, your dad is Suge Knight. Suge allows you to act like a fool and make mistakes. But Suge also allows you to make The Chronic! When you got this big bully behind you, you feel like, "I'm gonna try all sorts of shit, I'll do anything." And when you lose your bully, you tend to get a little safer.

It feels like you loosened up on this movie.
There was a lot more rehearsal in this movie, a lot more ad-libbing. I totally let people change their dialogue. I'm not like, "You've gotta play it like this!" I'm just welcoming the funk in this one. I'm more George Clinton and less Prince.

Your love for hip-hop is all over it. Did you ever seriously try rapping?
Yeah, I did. I got a deal at, like, Atlantic or an Atlantic subsidiary. There's demos of me rapping out there. It was before I was a comedian! Way before.

Who'd you sound like?
Kind of like "Clap your hands, everybody!" "I'm Chris Rock, and I want you to know that these are the breaks!" I grew up at a time where somebody gives you a flier, Grandmaster Flash is playing at some armory, some place that's really dangerous if you're not from there. We'd go up and see Flash or Grand Wizard Theodore or Cold Crush Brothers. And, "Oh, Flash scratched last night!" OK, your mother's got a turntable, my mother's got a turntable, let's go down to the Wiz and price mixers.

And when did you give that up?
It just fell to the wayside. You get jobs and shit. Honestly, if I had any idea that DJs would make as much as they make now! I still spin sometimes – when I'm in some other country, I'll just get up there.

Someone like Chuck D will say that there needs to be more historical awareness among hip-hop fans, that it's not right that the Stones can play arenas and stadiums and Public Enemy can't.
The Stones can play arenas because the Stones have songs that are not purely based on references that you had to be there for. I love Public Enemy. But they don't have "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Kanye will be able to play arenas maybe more than Jay Z honestly, because there's a vulnerability and an emotional thing that happens in his music that doesn't happen in most rap. I love rap, but rap is like comedy: It rots. Comedy rots. Trading Places is a perfect movie, just unbelievably good. But there are other comedies, not nearly as old as Trading Places, that just have references and things in them that aren't funny five years later. And rap's got a lot of that.

Was your only contact with Kanye recording that bit on his album, or do you know him at all?
I know him very well.

Is there an element of racism in the way the culture responds to him?
To me, this is the way the culture responds to anybody who says they're great. They're not going to respond to him any different than they responded to Muhammad Ali. Ali turned out to be right, but let's not act like people just agreed with him . History will tell us if Kanye is right. But I don't know, man. I'm glad he exists. He's the most interesting artist in the history of hip-hop. I can't really fuck with nobody that don't like Kanye.

The story of how you started in stand-up is crazy – you saw listings in the paper for comedy clubs, walked over, went on that night, and killed with jokes you had written on the spot. How was that possible?
I had seen Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Bill Cosby and Rodney Dangerfield. My first 15 times onstage I killed – like, really big laughs. Then I got a little cocky, and I proceeded to not get laughs for the next four years. You see it in baseball a lot, where a guy's really good the first month and then basically there's a combination of cockiness and the league adjusting to him.

What kind of jokes were you telling at that early stage?
Bunch of dumb shit. Like, "Miles Davis is so black, lightning bugs follow him in the daytime"-dumb shit.

Whoa, mocking Miles Davis.
Exactly. Like, who am I? Who the fuck am I?

Was it Eddie who taught you that you needed to study this stuff?
As soon as I became a professional, I knew I had to study a little bit. I used to hang out with Colin Quinn – every night, man, for seven years at the same clubs, talking about our sets and comparing ourselves to Richard, George Carlin, Murphy, Cosby. Eddie turned me on to Cosby. As a kid, you might think he's corny. Eddie was like, "No, you cannot take this lightly. This is some of the best shit ever done."

Do you think you didn't work hard enough as an SNL cast member?
I could've worked harder. And I think I'm dyslexic, slightly – I notice it when I'm reading my kids certain books. I'm like, "Goddamn, this is hard!"

So you're saying a cue-card-driven show was a challenge?
What I also learned is that there's only a certain amount of hanging out you can do per your talent, and I hung out a little much for the talent I had.

You mean partying?
Partying, girls, drinking, getting high, whatever. Not paying attention. Bought a red Corvette. I'm driving a red Corvette convertible. I have a big-titty-blond girlfriend. That was 1991, it was still gangster to date a white girl. That shit was like, "Who the fuck are you? Rick James?" I dated white girls and had eggs and shit thrown at me – motherfuckers throwing beer cans at me in my convertible. And those were real white girls! These white girls now . . . white men don't even get mad when you're with them 'cause they're not real white girls. Back in '89, '91, you get killed for Loni Anderson. Today, nobody's killing you for fucking Gwyneth Paltrow.

While you were on SNL, you broke out playing the crackhead Pookie in New Jack City, a really serious dramatic role. How did that affect things for you?
It's hard to even equate it – like every black person saw me in Jack City. I couldn't move to Manhattan because I couldn't get a fucking cab, and as soon as New Jack City came out, I couldn't take the train either. Michael J. Fox hosted one week, and New Jack was the number-one movie and his was number two. They literally made three movies like that: There's New Jack City, Boyz N the Hood and Menace II Society, and that's pretty much it. And the other two are coming-of-age movies. New Jack's like its own thing – it's a fucking black gangster movie. So it stands alone, in its own genre.

Given that early success, did you imagine more of a two-track career, with more dramatic roles?
I had no level of sophistication. I had dropped out of high school. My friends in Brooklyn had regular jobs . . . very blue-collar. I was just going from thing to thing. After New Jack, there was talk of me playing Basquiat, with Julian Schnabel directing. But here's the problem: I didn't know who Schnabel was, and I didn't know who Basquiat was. I could name everybody in the Furious Five, though. There was a little bit of talk about me playing the Chris O'Donnell part in Scent of a Woman, which actually would've been a better movie. Not 'cause of me – it just would've been a better movie with a black kid playing that part. But that's the only time I remember anyone thinking of anything even remotely dramatic around New Jack time.

Was it hard to get culturally black material on SNL back then?
It wasn't that it was difficult to get anything black on the show – it was difficult to get anything black on it that didn't deal specifically with race. You know? That's the thing. It's just like how there's not a lot of race stuff in Top Five, but it's as black as any movie you'll see in the next 15 years – it's blacker than The Butler or the Jackie Robinson movie, it's blacker at its core. But it's not about race. It's really black, the way George Clinton's really black, like the Ohio Players – "Fire," "Sweet Sticky Thing" – is just some black shit. That shit is black. Like a white man has nothing to do with this shit.

Post-SNL, you kind of went into the Rocky training camp and made yourself into the kind of stand-up we know, right?
Here's what happened: I bought a house, had a mortgage to pay, and I was just like, "Fuck trying to be famous. Let me just pay my bills and immerse myself in stand-up." My goal was to be like George Wallace – or Richard Jeni or Bobby Slayton. Comedians know these guys. They're not household names, but they're amazing comedians. That was my goal. Not to be famous, but to be a working stand-up. Make a great living, get a couple of houses, put the kids through college. It got way bigger, but I just wanted to be one of those guys.

And now, it sounds like your big challenge is trying to make your stand-up more personal.
As you get older, you got to find topics that aren't reference-dependent. Did you ever watch Bill Cosby Himself? Richard Pryor's Live in Concert is the best stand-up movie ever, but Cosby Himself – sometimes it's even better. There's not one reference in that thing that doesn't play. People deal with emotions in music all the time, but comedians are always talking about what they see. But we seldom talk about what we feel. That's the next thing for me. It's not taking it up a notch, but how do I move forward artistically and not level out? Like we said earlier, what's my "Can't Always Get What You Want"? I just want to figure out more universal, deeper things.

Like the way Louis C.K. digs in?
Louie digs in, and I got to dig in a little more.

Louie co-wrote your last movie – did he have advice on this one?
"Make it more dramatic." There's a lot of jokes that we shot that we didn't put in 'cause they made the movie too silly. That was the main thing: making sure the drama worked. And it worked – there's more than enough comedy in the movie.

How closely do you follow politics?
I always had, like, a dumb-guy's view of current events. Always kind of know a little bit of what's going on. If I knew any more about current events, I probably wouldn't talk about it. Do I really want to talk about Tim Geithner? No, I'd shoot myself in the head. I had to stop going on the Bill Maher show. Too smart. I'm on, like, the barbershop level. That motherfucker's really talking about politics.

Today's Election Day – are you voting?
Here's the weird thing: My dad died on Election Day. The day George Bush Sr. was elected president. Me, my uncle and my brother were leaving the hospital the next day. We'd been up all night, basically trying to keep my father alive, so we didn't know who won. It's like a movie. Literally, on the ground there's a paper with Bush. I'll never forget my uncle was like, "Aw, shit, Bush won too." Like his brother died, and to add insult to injury, Bush won, too. I'm always sad on Election Day, and then Obama gets elected and I'm like, "OK, let me give up this fucking thing of being sad on Election Day – gonna let that go."

Do you have an assessment of Obama at this point in his term?
I think he's done well – but it's like, I don't know who Tina Turner's second husband was, but he was better than Ike. Right? Maybe he had faults, maybe he lost his job or whatever, but he was better than Ike.

What could Obama have done differently?
As bad as George W. Bush was, he revolutionized the presidency. He was the first president who only served the people that voted for him. He ran the country like a cable network; he only catered to his subscribers. Obama's main fault is not realizing that's kind of what people want. That whole trying-to-make-everybody-happy thing is done. People who voted for him want him to do what Bush did. And whoever's the next president will do what Bush did.

You once said even Nostradamus couldn't see the end of American racism.
We're never going to see the end of racism per se. But Obama is like the polio vaccine of racism – people still get polio and die, but there is a vaccine. They don't have to get it. And my kids, you know, it's been 12 years now and there hasn't been one racial incident in my mostly white neighborhood – not even a tiny one.

A good portion of their lives has been spent in the Obama era.
And not just Obama. Before him, the secretary of state was black. Even if you're not seeing it intellectually, visually you see these things.

How does having daughters affect the way you think about women's issues?
How does it affect the way I think about women? People always want to know what the world would be like if the country was run by women – just ask a black person. We live in a matriarchal society. You'll go to a black church. They'll say bad shit about men all the time. But you never hear, "Women need to step up." No, it's all, "You're the greatest thing that ever walked the Earth."

So women's equality was always a given for you?
I'm from Bed-Stuy. In Bed-Stuy, the women do better than the men. My father drove a truck, my mother taught school. My mother had an easier life than my father. Any girl I dated had an easier life than me. They weren't getting picked up by cops and thrown in lineups and shit like that. I don't recall the girls being called nigger or any of that shit. Their stories aren't my stories, and they were in the same school as me. I'm not saying shit doesn't exist. I mean, I think it's shitty that there's no woman talk-show host on late-night TV – how Chelsea Handler does not get one of these jobs is beyond me. But when you're talking to a black man – black women are over you, white women are over you.

To be fair, it doesn't seem like there's a black woman in line for the presidency at the moment.
Michelle Obama could be the next president if she wanted to be. You ever seen her speak? She could be married to her husband and denounce him at the same time – she's that good: "My husband was good, but we're going to do things a little differently this time."

The director of the Broadway play you did a few years back said she thought you were sleepwalking through your life. What did you make of that?
The play taught me that I could work harder and that there was something to get out of working harder. I remember in school, once you realize you're not going to be an A student, you realize that the A's get treated differently, but B and D are all the same. There is no difference in the treatment of a B student and a D student. Nothing! So there might've been a little bit of that in my career – I'm OK, I'll get work. When I got in the play, I was literally working with the best people in the world, and then with this movie, too, I was just like, "Oh, I can work at this speed. I can be an A student. There's some good shit here in this A club."

How did the actual idea for Top Five come to you?
I watch Louie, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm. I thought, "Let's do a movie like that, but about the whole idea of black fame." I wanted to make a nuanced black movie. In all black movies, the rich people are always evil. And anybody that's educated is evil, which is honestly the worst stereotype that you can have. Vanessa Williams in Soul Food – you went to college! Oh, my God, she must be horrible. Most Tyler Perry movies, that's what it is. You know, white entertainers do not have a responsibility to a community. Nobody's telling Bradley Cooper to keep it real. Harry Belafonte is mad at Jay Z and Beyoncé, says they don't do enough. But nobody's mad at, uh, who's my man from Maroon 5?

Adam Levine.
Yeah, no one's mad at Adam Levine – "What are you doing for people with great haircuts?"

Your character wants to be taken seriously. Is that what you want?
I want to be taken seriously for comedy. How's that? America kind of treats comedians as second-class entertainers. Bill Cosby as a writer is every fucking bit as good as Bob Dylan. But no one thinks of him in that way – they just think, "Oh, he's funny." Demetri Martin is probably more of an artist than Rihanna – she's a great singer and entertainer, but Demetri Martin puts that shit on paper. He's writing and creating. It'd be nice if that existed in America. When I'm in, you know, New Zealand, they treat me like I'm Thelonious Monk. Like I'm John Coltrane. When Dave Chappelle is in London, that motherfucker is Miles Davis. That's some shit. You make the money in America, but you are an artist when you leave America.

Two of your biggest heroes – Bill Cosby and Woody Allen – have had heavy allegations made against them. How do you process that?
It's hard, man. You separate the work from the thing, and you go, "I really don't know what happened." With Woody, I literally don't know. I mean, I got daughters – I don't want anyone calling my daughter a liar or anything like that. The only thing I can say is, I've never seen anyone accused of anything like that just once.

You're turning 50 in, like, three months. You look good.
Rich 50 is like 36.

But does that birthday have significance for you?
I mean, the only significance is that my dad died at 55 of natural causes, so I get a little scared that way. It just makes me go, "Oh shit, my mother's going to turn 70." I'm more concerned with my mother's birthday than mine. 'Cause it's them, then us.

But here you are at 49, and you have this renewed heat around you in movies.
What do you do with it? Don't waste it on convertibles.

When you go back on tour, how do you deal with the idea that people are expecting that you live up to everything you've done before?
You just got to put in the work. That's all it is. If you watch enough Rocky movies – and there are six of them, three of them are really fucking good – anytime Rocky tried to take a shortcut in training, he got his ass whooped. And, you know, Rocky III, he's in a nice gym and the girls are there kissing his muscles and all that bullshit, and Mr. T beats the shit out of him and then he has to go in the dirty gym with the black guys. There's no shortcut. You got to go in the club and be uncomfortable. You got to go alone. The problem with most comedians, why they get so unusually bad by my age – not bad, but most guys by my age are doing kid movies and they're doing family acts, even the edgiest motherfuckers. I think a lot of it has to do with the entourage. I got nobody. A comedian has to live in his head. You got to be alone. When you're surrounded by people, you're not living in your head. You're just not.

You are surrounded by family, though.
Yeah, but that's different – I can go to the comedy club by myself. The average quote-unquote big star has a bodyguard and goes with four people. That's not how you do it. All this comedy comes from a lonely place – you can't hear what's going on in your head if you've always got a lot of people. Especially people who aren't comedians.

Eddie Murphy always talks about going back on the road – do you think he will?
I wish he would. Nothing would make me happier, but I don't think he's going back out.

You can't pep-talk him back into that?
Everybody's tried. I'm just not even going to have the conversation anymore. Just talk music or boxing.

Who do you like out there?
Kevin Hart's new stuff is funny. Hannibal Buress' new stuff is really funny. This is the golden age of stand-up. There hasn't been this many good stand-up comedians since, like, the Fifties. Jim Gaffigan's a monster, he's fucking funny. Ron White is unbelievably funny. Amy Schumer's fucking great, man. A lot of funny people. Aziz Ansari just played the Garden. Bill Burr is hysterical. Louis. The Nineties, that was just a boom of clubs, that was like disco. Artistically, it ain't never been this good.

One of my favorite points you've made is that life isn't short – it's long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions.
It's long, dude! People cry when they get five years of jail. Cry! Grown men. Cry. Five years is a long time.

So have you made the right decisions?
I think I've fucked up as much as anybody. But I've been lucky enough not to repeat bad decisions – that's the key. Like, let's not make the same mistakes as my other movies. "Hey, what would happen if I worked with a really good producer?" A lot of people when they have stuff that flops – like a movie that gets a 10 on Rotten Tomatoes – they just seek out the people that liked it and listen to nobody else. They put themselves in a world where their failure is not a failure. I never want to be that guy. Life gets long 'cause you keep doing the same shit.

~~~~
~~~~

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 11:53 AM

22. "New York Mag: In Conversation CHRIS ROCK"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.vulture.com/2014/11/chris-rock-frank-rich-in-conversation.html?mid=twitter_nymag

What’s killing comedy.
What’s saving America.

The last time Frank Rich had a conversation with Chris Rock was in early 1996, when they and the 1950s teen heartthrob Pat Boone were thrown together in a New York television studio as panelists on Bill Maher’s old show Politically Incorrect. This time they had two conversations in a New York hotel lounge as Rock prepared for the release of Top Five, a bittersweet film comedy in which he does triple duty as director, screenwriter, and star.

We’ve just come through an election that was a triumph for Fox News and a fiasco for Obama. What do you make of it?

Jon Stewart has said the reason Fox News works better than CNN is because the people at Fox News figured out how to make themselves into victims.

So will it now be harder for Republicans to play victims?

They have no problem playing victims.

Even in victory?

Even in victory. America — not black America, but America as a whole — started in England and was ruled by kings and queens and had a class system. I’m almost of the mind that that’s what America wants at the end of the day. Maybe America wants monopolies.

They always seem to want a Bush or a Clinton.

Maybe they just want a Bush. Maybe they want no regulations. It’s hard for me to figure out people voting against their own self-interests. At some point you go, Okay: Is that what they want?

Is it possible that they’re just angry, whether it’s anger at Obama or Washington in general, and they just want to lash out? If you’re angry, you don’t rationally consider what’s in your self-interest.

Maybe. But we had Bush for eight years. They saw what that was. Apparently a lot of people want to go back to that. A lot of people think rich people are smart.

For all the current conversation about income inequality, class is still sort of the elephant in the room.

Oh, people don’t even know. If poor people knew how rich rich people are, there would be riots in the streets. If the average person could see the Virgin Airlines first-class lounge1, they’d go, “What? What? This is food, and it’s free, and they … what? Massage? Are you kidding me?”

You recently hosted Saturday Night Live, and in the monologue, where you were talking about the opening of One World Trade, my wife and I both felt just like you: No way are we going into that building. But you look online the next morning, and some people were offended2and accused you of disparaging the 9/11 victims. The political correctness that was thought to be dead is now—

Oh, it’s back stronger than ever. I don’t pay that much attention to it. I mean, you don’t want to piss off the people that are paying you, obviously, but otherwise I’ve just been really good at ignoring it. Honestly, it’s not that people were offended by what I said. They get offended by how much fun I appear to be having while saying it. You could literally take everything I said on Saturday night and say it on Meet the Press, and it would be a general debate, and it would go away. But half of it’s because they think they can hurt comedians.

That they can hurt your career?

Yeah. They think you’re more accessible than Tom Brokaw saying the exact same thing.

What do you make of the attempt to bar Bill Maher from speaking at Berkeley for his riff on Muslims?3

Well, I love Bill, but I stopped playing colleges, and the reason is because they’re way too conservative.

In their political views?

Not in their political views — not like they’re voting Republican — but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of “We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.” Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say “the black kid over there.” No, it’s “the guy with the red shoes.” You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.

When did you start to notice this?

About eight years ago. Probably a couple of tours ago. It was just like, This is not as much fun as it used to be. I remember talking to George Carlin before he died and him saying the exact same thing.

A few days ago I was talking with Patton Oswalt, and he was exercised about the new reality that any comedian who is trying out material that’s a little out there can be fucked by someone who blasts it on Twitter or a social network.

I know Dave Chappelle bans everybody’s phone when he plays a club. I haven’t gone that far, but I may have to, to get an act together for a tour.

Does it force you into some sort of self-censorship?

It does. I swear I just had a conversation with the people at the Comedy Cellar about how we can make cell phones into cigarettes. If you would have told me years ago that they were going to get rid of smoking in comedy clubs, I would have thought you were crazy.

It is scary, because the thing about comedians is that you’re the only ones who practice in front of a crowd. Prince doesn’t run a demo on the radio. But in stand-up, the demo gets out. There are a few guys good enough to write a perfect act and get onstage, but everybody else workshops it and workshops it, and it can get real messy. It can get downright offensive. Before everyone had a recording device and was wired like fucking Sammy the Bull,4 you’d say something that went too far, and you’d go, “Oh, I went too far,” and you would just brush it off. But if you think you don’t have room to make mistakes, it’s going to lead to safer, gooier stand-up. You can’t think the thoughts you want to think if you think you’re being watched.

I assume you worked on the SNL material in the confines of the studio and that it never went before an audience?

Comedy Cellar all week. If I messed up a word here and there, which I did, it could really be get-him-out-of-here offensive. But you just watch to make sure nobody tapes it. You watch and you watch hard. And you make sure the doorman’s watching. What Patton’s trying to say is, like, comedians need a place where we can work on that stuff. And by the way: An audience that’s not laughing is the biggest indictment that something’s too far. No comedian’s ever done a joke that bombs all the time and kept doing it. Nobody in the history of stand-up. Not one guy.

What is the worst audience you’ve ever played to?

I had a really bad show in Biloxi, Mississippi. That sounds so cliché. Last tour, Obama was running, and I was doing all my stuff, and it was hostile.

Was the audience black, white, mixed?

Probably more white than black. A few thousand seats. Playing a casino.

Always a problem, I suppose.

Especially on a Friday night. Friday-night second show’s the worst because they’ve been drinking since they got off work. We definitely were like, “Wow. Let’s drive to another town. We should not sleep here.”

Do you use social media at all?

You know, I got my Hulu account. Is it the Hulu account? Wait, what is this thing? Not Hulu.

Hulu’s to watch TV.

Dude, I’m getting old. It’s WhoSay,5 which allows you to tweet, Facebook, and Instagram simultaneously. It’s perfect for someone that’s not 25.

Do you sit around and read other people’s Tumblr accounts, or their tweets, or follow them on Facebook?

A little. I follow a couple people on In­stagram. You’ve got to follow all that stuff. You have to understand it, because if you don’t, then you’re going to sound like an old guy. You got to have the ability to use it as a reference. A lot of the time, the difference between hip and unhip is just reference. We did some sketch the other night on SNL, and in it I tell my wife — actually, we messed it up, but it was better in the dress — anyway, I tell my wife, “Hey, honey, the cab’s here.” Then I look at it again. I go, “You know what? We got to rewrite this.” “Hey, honey, the Uber’s here.” That little difference, it’s a big, big deal. I remember seeing Robin Williams at Town Hall. He did some Elmer Fudd bit, and I was like, dude, if you change that to SpongeBob—

You’ll get the laugh.

You’ll seem a lot hipper. I do not wish to become Alan King6 quite yet.

I haven’t thought about him in a long time. He had an incredible longevity.

He was amazing. But there’s a certain type of These kids today and the rock and roll, you know?

Whereas Joan Rivers …

Great person, underrated comedian. Who the hell’s funnier than Joan Rivers? That whole reference thing: Joan updated constantly.

Well, she was voracious.

Okay, these Liz Taylor jokes are gone, and they are now Lindsay Lohan jokes. The compliment you give of a comedian is: Who wants to follow them onstage? Nobody wanted to follow Joan Rivers, ever. Even in her 80s, nobody wanted to follow her.

You’ve always been incredibly respectful and a fan of great comedians ahead of you. Have any ever been disdainful of you?

I mean, maybe Cosby early on, but he turned pretty quick. Other than that, nobody.

What do you make of what’s happening to Cosby now?

I don’t know what to say. What do you say? I hope it’s not true. That’s all you can say. I really do. I grew up on Cosby. I love Cosby, and I just hope it’s not true. It’s a weird year for comedy. We lost Robin, we lost Joan, and we kind of lost Cosby.

What about conservative comedians? You and Dennis Miller were on SNL together. Is it just because I don’t share his politics that I find him less funny, or is there something about conservative stand-up that just doesn’t work?

Yeah, he was there my first year. He used to bust my balls. He’d come into my office and say, “Hey, Rock, how’s that ‘next Eddie’7 thing working out?” Oh, he’s definitely less funny. You know where he’s going. Smart as hell, but you know where he’s going. The middle’s where it’s at, comically. I mean, what do you got? Miller, Stewart, Maher.

Miller on the right, Stewart in the middle, Maher on the left?

And the most successful guy’s …

Stewart?

Stewart’s middle-to-left, but he’s still more in the middle.

In Miller’s case, do you think that identifying with those in power is an impediment to laughter?

I’ll say this. Poor people laugh harder than rich people. Especially black people, they laugh with their feet, too.

I know that it’s Miller who first introduced you to Robin Williams. What did you make of his tragic end?

Comedians kill themselves. Talk to 100 comedians this week, everybody knows somebody who killed themselves. I mean, we always say ignorance is bliss. Well, if so, what’s the opposite? Some form of misery. Being a comedian, 80 percent of the job is just you notice shit, which is a trait of schizophrenics too. You notice things people don’t notice.

And it either makes you crazy or it doesn’t. How do you defend against it yourself?

You try to give yourself other things to focus on. I always say, my children saved me from my miserable self.

Let’s talk about Obama a bit. You have been a fan. Have you ever met him?

Yeah, a couple times.

And what did you make of him?

Kind of cool. I always say, cooler than most politicians, not as cool as actual cool people. He’s not cool like Jay Z’s cool. He’s not Eddie Murphy. But in a world of politicians …

When he first came on the scene, we learned he listened to Jay Z. He watched The Wire. Do you think he has had any effect on pop culture?

I’m not sure. I mean, time will tell, and what I mean by “time will tell” is: We’ll see who gets into politics. That’s the real test. In a weird way, him saying he listens to Jay Z — it’s kind of revolutionary, because he’s of the age that he’s supposed to listen to that stuff. And so he’s a little more himself than most politicians. We’ll see if more politicians end up being just themselves.

What do you think of how he’s done? Here we are in the last two years of his presidency, and there’s a sense among his supporters of disappointment, that he’s disengaged.

I’m trying to figure out the right analogy. Everybody wanted Michael Jordan, right? We got Shaq. That’s not a disappointment. You know what I mean? We got Charles Barkley. It’s still a Hall of Fame career. The president should be graded on jobs and peace, and the other stuff is debatable. Do more people have jobs, and is there more peace? I guess there’s a little more peace. Not as much peace as we’d like, but I mean, that’s kind of the gig. I don’t recall anybody leaving on an up. It’s just that kind of job. I mean, the liberals that are against him feel let down because he’s not Bush. And the thing about George Bush is that the kid revolutionized the presidency. How? He was the first president who only served the people who voted for him. He literally operated like a cable network. You know what I mean?

He pandered to his target audience.

He’s the first cable-television president, and the thing liberals don’t like about Obama is that he’s a network guy. He’s kind of Les Moonves.8 He’s trying to get everybody. And I think he’s figured out, and maybe a little late, that there’s some people he’s never going to get.

When you mentioned Bush, I thought you were going to say something else, which is that he had this “good versus evil” manner of speaking — the Western sheriff who’s come to lay down the law. Obama’s been faulted for not showing anger in public, and for not speaking in simple, declarative Bushisms. Of course, the moment he does do that, he’s accused of being an angry black man.

There’s an advantage that Bush had that Obama doesn’t have. People thinking you’re dumb is an advantage. Obama started as a genius. It’s like, What? I’ve got to keep doing that? That’s hard to do! So it’s not that Obama’s disappointing. It’s just his best album might have been his first album.

What has Obama done wrong?

When Obama first got elected, he should have let it all just drop.

Let what drop?

Just let the country flatline. Let the auto industry die. Don’t bail anybody out. In sports, that’s what any new GM does. They make sure that the catastrophe is on the old management and then they clean up. They don’t try to save old management’s mistakes.

That’s clever. You let it all go to hell.

Let it all go to hell knowing good and well this is on them. That way you can implement. You hire your own coach. You get your own players. He could have got way more done. You know, we’ve all been on planes that had tremendous turbulence, but we forget all about it. Now, if you live through a plane crash, you’ll never forget that. Maybe Obama should have let the plane crash. You get credit for bringing somebody back from the dead. You don’t really get credit for helping a sick person by administering antibiotics.

One thing that was so exciting to many people, including you and me, when Obama got in was the hope, however delusional, that his election signaled some kind of racial progress in America. When, in fact, I don’t think there’s been much at all.

Grown people, people over 30, they’re not changing. But you’ve got kids growing up.

Your own kids are all girls, right?

All girls. I mean, I almost cry every day. I drop my kids off and watch them in the school with all these mostly white kids, and I got to tell you, I drill them every day: Did anything happen today? Did anybody say anything? They look at me like I am crazy.

And you think this change is generational? That maybe it has nothing to do with Obama?

It’s partly generational, but it’s also my kids grew up not only with a black president but with a black secretary of State, a black joint chief of staff, a black attorney general. My children are going to be the first black children in the history of America to actually have the benefit of the doubt of just being moral, intelligent people.

I hope you’re right.

But these things take a while. The Triborough Bridge has been called the Robert F. Kennedy for years now, and we’re still calling it the Triborough Bridge.

We still have some white people taking the Sarah Palin line about blacks and immigrants alike. They want to “take back the country” — and we know from whom. I find it depressing. The increments of change seem to be so much tinier than we wanted to believe when the Civil Rights Act passed 50 years ago, or when Obama was elected in 2008.

Yeah. The stuff you’re talking about is pockets though. There’s always going to be people that don’t know that the war’s over. I’m more optimistic than you, but maybe it’s because I live the way I do. I just have a great life, so it’s easier for me to say things are great. But not even me. My brothers drive trucks and stock shelves. They live in a much better world than my father did. My mother tells stories of growing up in Andrews, South Carolina, and the black people had to go to the vet to get their teeth pulled out. And you still had to go to the back door, because if the white people knew the vet had used his instruments on black people, they wouldn’t take their pets to the vet. This is not some person I read about. This is my mother.

What about the speed of change in gay rights? If, 20 years ago, someone told me that same-sex marriage would become more or less the law of the land, I would have thought it was preposterous.

Yeah. I mean, you got to remember, the women’s movement and the civil-rights movement, even getting rid of Prohibition — it all loosened up the country for the gay-rights movement. Anybody that’s old enough realizes none of these movements has ever been stopped.

Do you think gay-rights progress has more to do with the shaming of people or the education of people?

Both. I always call Ellen DeGeneres the gay Rosa Parks. If Rosa Parks had one of the most popular daytime TV shows, I’m sure the civil-rights movement would’ve moved a little bit faster too.

Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple, just came out as gay.

Which I think is actually bigger than the football player. Because the average person in that locker room is in his 20s. And it’s just not a big deal to be around a gay guy — if you’re in your 20s. Whereas Tim Cook is around these corporate guys. That is the epitome of a boys’ club. That is sexist, ­racist — the least inclusive group of people you’re ever going to find. Men who have no problem being called owners. Who actually wants to be called an owner, even if you owned a football team? Just the title owner is just so nasty and disgusting.

It does have a kind of antebellum ring.

So Tim Cook came out to those guys. He’s in that club. My God.

I remember when I was a kid and Jack Kennedy had little kids in the White House. Are your daughters taken by the fact that there are young girls in the White House?

Yeah, but you’ve got to remember, they’re so young. Zahra was 4 when Obama was nominated. So as far as they’re concerned, there have always been little black girls in the White House.

What do your kids think of the First Kids?

They think they’re cute. The Obama girls are older than them, which makes them want to play with them more. They look at their hair, the way they dress. They wanted that dog. You know, “Oh, can we get a dog like Bo?”

Did they?

No. There’s a stuffed Bo in the house. It’s a fake Bo.

Do your kids find you funny?

Sometimes. My daughter Lola was like, “Kevin Hart’s funnier than you.”

Has she seen your new movie?

No, it’s too risqué for her. I’ve got to watch a PG before I’ll let them see it.

Top Five is almost like an homage to Woody Allen — it’s like you are playing Alvy Singer.9

I’ve checked into hotels under Alvy Singer.

A star comedian is having a kind of midlife crisis, wanting to do more serious material, but everyone is always saying, “I liked your funnier stuff better.” It’s Stardust Memories, too.

I’m not going to do September.10 I promise you …

I don’t think people understand how hard it is to write comedy. The gestation period, the trying out of jokes, the whittling them down — a lot of people may not understand that, in some ways, drama may be easier.

It’s not may. It is easier.

Go on.

It just is. Hey, man, I loved Gone Girl. Loved it. But you could probably get other directors — I’m not saying they’d make it as good as Fincher, but you could get it from beginning to end and get a reaction out of it, where you can’t really do that with comedy.

Every moment has to pay off.

In this sense, comedy’s really fair. It’s not like music, where you can hire Timbaland and he gives you a beat and a song, and even though you can’t sing it’s a hit. Comedy, especially stand-up comedy, it’s like: Who’s funny?

It’s a ruthless marketplace.

It’s the only thing that smacks Hollywood out of its inherent racism, sexism, anti-­Semitism. It makes people hire people that they would never hire otherwise. Do they really want to do a show with Roseanne Barr? No, they want a thin blonde girl.

But she’s funny.

She’s just funnier than everybody. I’m not even sure they wanted to do a Seinfeld show, but he’s just funnier than everybody.

He’s not a matinee idol. He’s Jewish, nerdy. And recently he said publicly he was somewhere on the autism spectrum as a comedian.

He bores easily. I bore easily. Not because I’m on some spectrum, but because I hear so many conversations again and again. So many people come up to you, and not enough people try to take into account what you’ve heard already.

Let’s put it this way. Take Anchorman. Now switch the directors of Anchorman and Gone Girl and give them their movies to do. Adam McKay’s going to get closer to Gone Girl than Fincher is going to get to Anchorman.

Absolutely.

It’s not even close.

Okay, but Woody Allen—

I don’t even think Woody does comedy. I think he does dramas with jokes. They’re all sad at their core.

But what is drama without jokes? Even Death of a Salesman has jokes. Are there other stories you think you might want to tell that are dramatic but would have jokes?

Oh, yeah. The script I’m working on now is the same tone. I can’t go too much into it, but it’s based on a civil-rights icon. A radio guy with a talk show. Kind of an Al Sharpton guy who’s against Obama in the year Obama runs. It’s the life of a black guy going against the grain while this thing is happening around him.

That’d be a great role for you. Do you know people like that?

Oh, yeah. Tavis Smiley, Cornel West.11 They’re both intelligent, sincere guys. I think it’s an interesting thing to play.

Before Obama arrived, you were saying that there’d been Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, and then black leaders in America became like substitute teachers.

I mean, you got to realize, there’s not a need for it the way there was. Back then, we needed that guy for our day-to-day existence. Now you only feel the need in special cases. So, okay, Ferguson goes down. You’re like, Oh, it’d be great if we had a guy.

When Al Sharpton goes down to Ferguson, it feels like a media ritual rather than an actual civil-rights action.

It’s a revival, where King was doing an original play. It’s a good part. The lead is open.

When you made the movie Good Hair,12 it was almost a 60 Minutes kind of investigative piece.

I would love to be a 60 Minutes correspondent.

What would you want to cover?

I would cover anything. I mean, I’d be in Ferguson right now, and it would be in-depth, and it would be funny.

It’s hard to do funny in journalism.

No, it’s not. It’s all in the cut.

What would you do in Ferguson that a standard reporter wouldn’t?

I’d do a special on race, but I’d have no black people.

Well, that would be much more revealing.

Yes, that would be an event. Here’s the thing. When we talk about race relations in America or racial progress, it’s all nonsense. There are no race relations. White people were crazy. Now they’re not as crazy. To say that black people have made progress would be to say they deserve what happened to them before.

Right. It’s ridiculous.

So, to say Obama is progress is saying that he’s the first black person that is qualified to be president. That’s not black progress. That’s white progress. There’s been black people qualified to be president for hundreds of years. If you saw Tina Turner and Ike having a lovely breakfast over there, would you say their relationship’s improved? Some people would. But a smart person would go, “Oh, he stopped punching her in the face.” It’s not up to her. Ike and Tina Turner’s relationship has nothing to do with Tina Turner. Nothing. It just doesn’t. The question is, you know, my kids are smart, educated, beautiful, polite children. There have been smart, educated, beautiful, polite black children for hundreds of years. The advantage that my children have is that my children are encountering the nicest white people that America has ever produced. Let’s hope America keeps producing nicer white people.

It’s about white people adjusting to a new reality?

Owning their actions. Not even their actions. The actions of your dad. Yeah, it’s unfair that you can get judged by something you didn’t do, but it’s also unfair that you can inherit money that you didn’t work for.

Would you seek out someone to interview who might not normally be sought out?

I would get you to interview somebody, and I would put something in your ear, and I’d ask the questions through you.

You’d have a white guy.

And I would ask them questions that you would never come up with, and we’d have the most amazing interviews ever.

And we’d be asking white people and black people?

Just white people. We know how black people feel about Ferguson — outraged, upset, cheated by the system, all these things.

So you think people can be lulled into saying the outrageous shit they really feel?

Michael Moore has no problem getting it. Because he looks like them. But the problem is the press accepts racism. It has never dug into it.

When Obama was running for president, a certain kind of white person would routinely tell reporters, “He’s just not one of us.” Few reporters want to push that person to the wall and say, “What do you mean he’s not like you, unless you’re talking about the fact that he’s African-American?” Where else besides Ferguson would you hypothetically want to interview white people?

I’d love to do some liberal places, because you can be in the most liberal places and there’s no black people.

I assume one such place is Hollywood.

I don’t think I’ve had any meetings with black film execs. Maybe one. It is what it is. As I told Bill Murray, Lost in Translation is a black movie: That’s what it feels like to be black and rich. Not in the sense that people are being mean to you. Bill Murray’s in Tokyo, and it’s just weird. He seems kind of isolated. He’s always around Japanese people. Look at me right now.

We’re sitting on the 35th floor of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel overlooking Central Park.

And there’s only really one black person here who’s not working. Bill Murray in Lost in Translation is what Bryant Gumbel experiences every day. Or Al Roker. Rich black guys. It’s a little off.

But the thing is, we treat racism in this country like it’s a style that America went through. Like flared legs and lava lamps. Oh, that crazy thing we did. We were hanging black people. We treat it like a fad instead of a disease that eradicates millions of people. You’ve got to get it at a lab, and study it, and see its origins, and see what it’s immune to and what breaks it down.

Recently there’s been a spate of movies that have tried to look at the origins of the disease: 12 Years a Slave, The Butler, Lincoln.

But do they make any difference, or do people just say, “Oh, that’s history, and slavery was bad,” and they don’t cause people
to reflect?

I think it causes some people to reflect. I mean, again, it’s the kids. It’ll help a little bit. Of the ones you just mentioned, the only one I really liked is 12 Years a Slave, because it just didn’t feel the need to make people feel comfortable.

Sarah Paulson was one of the most evil white people ever onscreen. She was brilliant.

I don’t know who won the Oscar,13 but it should’ve been hers. When they had slave revolts in the past, they would always kill Massa’s wife first.

Talk to me a little about the trajectory of Top Five. I gather there was wild enthusiasm at the premiere in Toronto and a bidding war — and now this very personal, independent movie is on a fast track. Has this been exciting?

There’s a humongous screening in Toronto. All the buyers are there. All the critics are there. I believe the bids were coming in before the movie was over.

That’s the ADD of the industry writ large.

They had a little after-party at the Soho House in Toronto. And you know, you’re just shaking hands. It’s the Lionsgate people, and it’s the Fox 2000 people and Paramount and Screen Gems. “I hope we’re doing it with you. I hope we’re doing it with you.” It’s like running for office.

They’re jockeying for distribution rights.

Yeah. Everybody’s on the phone all night, essentially. It’s like election returns. It’s at 6. It’s at 10. You know what I mean? A lot of money for a film at a festival is like $3 million, so for a movie to sell for $12.5 million is unheard of.

How are they opening the movie? In major cities first?

You know what? They’re getting greedy, which is scaring me a little bit. It was supposed to be New York and L.A. the 5th, and then the rest of the country on the 12th. Now they’re just going for the whole country on the 12th. It feels like they’re going to go for 2,000 screens. Every screening’s gone amazingly well, but something inside me keeps saying, This is a little movie.

So if the movie opens, and it’s disappointing, how do you think you’ll react? I mean you care, obviously, but …

I mean, you care, but suppose, what, the movie makes a billion dollars? It’s not going to affect my day with my kids. If it makes two cents, it’s not going to affect my day with my kids. Fine, the movie comes out Friday, Saturday I will take Zahra to gymnastics. I hope Annie’s out. We’ll go see Annie.

I’m always scared, though. I remember Sacha Cohen a week or two before Borat came out. I remember him being scared. He was like, “I don’t know if the tracking was right,” or whatever. It was supposed to open in about 2,000 screens, and they opened it in 800. It actually played better in 800, because it played to a packed house. I like the concept of every house packed. But who knows? The marketing costs are more than the movie. Some of that is them charging themselves. Paramount’s paying Viacom. Viacom owns MTV, BET, Comedy Central. So if you’re paying for a commercial on Comedy Central — it could be $20 million, it could be $5 million, it could be $50 million. Who the hell knows what the hell they’re really spending?

It’s bookkeeping. What’s your relationship with the Hollywood power structure? How do you deal with the failures you’ve had there?

I’m still on the table, which is good. No one’s yanked me off. You can be behind and on the table. I never take any of it personally. It’s all money, especially when you’re talking about playing a lead of anything. I guess if you’re a supporting character, friendships may come into play here and there — strings can be pulled in the lower echelons. But as far as being a leading man, there’s a printout, and there’s how much the movie made here, here, and here. How do you do in Budapest? How do you do in Calgary? Germany? And they make the decision.

Does all that make you want to release on your own?

I was talking to Steve McQueen a couple weeks ago about this. People come up to us and are like, “Get the funding yourself, and put it out yourself.” Dude, I can’t run a candy store.

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, Top Five is a hit. What would be the top career goal on your wish list?

I’ve been around a long time, and the thing not to chase is stardom. It’s like chasing hits. I would just do another little movie. But don’t get me wrong: If Marvel wants to throw me something—

Put you in a costume—

If they want to say, “Hey, that little movie you made? Well here’s a big movie” — like they did with Singer?14 Yeah, I’m open to that. If somebody wants to do something that crazy.

Do you like directing?

I do. I like the control. I like creating a world. It’s your world. If you want gravity in it, there’s gravity. If there’s not, things will float. And I like to create a tone. If there’s anything I’m proud of with this movie, it’s that we got a really good comedic tone that can be funny and real at the same time. I think parts of this movie feel like a Richard Linklater movie.

And at times, like at the end, it’s almost a romantic comedy.

There’s a sprinkle of Ephron in there. Just a sprinkle. I can’t pour on too much Ephron. She and I used to talk about making a movie all the time. She always used to say to me, “Are you ready to walk? That’s the only way we’re going to make a movie. We’re going to have to do a lot of walking and talking.”

Who would’ve directed it?

She would’ve directed it. I wanted her to direct me really bad. I’d love to do a Nancy Meyers movie.

As an actor?

Just an actor.

Who’s a leading lady you’d like to be up against?

I don’t know. Kerry Washington? It can be anybody though. Whoever she likes. I love her. It’s nice taking your mother to a Nancy Meyers movie. It’s tradition. They should have one every Thanksgiving or Christmas.

You live in New Jersey.

I’m in Alpine.15 That’s not Jersey. That’s like Beverly Hills with freaking snow.

And with Chris Christie. Were you caught on the G.W. Bridge?

I was caught on the bridge! He didn’t do it to mess up the bridge. He did it because it just messes up the whole town around the bridge. Just imagine: a whole town paralyzed.

How did you react when you found out it might be politically motivated?

You just want to choke somebody. If you live near the bridge, you know you’re going to have like seven bad days a year. But you hate to think one of them is on purpose.

Christie’s running for president. It could also be Jeb Bush versus Hillary.

It’s still not a done deal with Hillary. Remember, she was ahead last time. She had all the black people. And she lost to somebody she really shouldn’t have lost to.

Obama came out of nowhere, basically. At which point Bill Clinton started making public statements that often seemed one step away from knifing Obama.

He’s a dick, but you’re talking about a guy who’s embarrassed his wife. So he had a choice, and I couldn’t judge him. I had to choose between pissing off all the black people in the world or having my wife mad at me? Then the hell with the black people, because he doesn’t live with all the black people. He lives with his wife.

Even though he was the first black president.

Allegedly. Until a black guy showed up.

Who in the Democratic Party could go after Hillary, though? There doesn’t seem to be anyone like Barack Obama.

There was no Barack Obama until Barack Obama either. I mean, I would love to see Hillary, but there’s a part of Hillary that’s like the Democratic McCain at this point. As he showed, “It’s my time” is not really enough. But you know, I’m absolutely ready for a woman president. I’m ready for a woman nighttime-talk-show host, to tell you the truth. I wonder which will be first.

What about your future? We talked about the risks of being a comedian in an age when politically correct vigilantes can pillory you on social media. What’s the worst thing that can happen to you?

If you really got barred off of TV shows, that would hurt you a little bit. But comedians are like preachers, and they have congregations. As long as you’re good to your congregation, you’ll be fine.

The congregation sort of protects you unless you really spite them.

Unless you turn your back on them artistically. I’m going to say this about sitcoms. There might be one exception to this, but from what I can see right now, never in the history of television has television created a comedy star. The person was always rich and had a level of fame before they got there. Jerry Seinfeld. Bill Cosby was rich. Jay Leno was rich. Roseanne Barr was rich. Lucille Ball was big in vaudeville. Abbott & Costello were big in vaudeville.

That’s right, and a lot of them were big in radio: Jack Benny—

Redd Foxx. They all come with a congregation.

Right, and that’s distinguishing comics from, say, Carroll O’Connor, who was an actor.

That’s the advantage comedians have.

So in some sense you have protection. But how do you push the envelope in stand-up now?

You just do it. You do a movie for a lot of people. Hey, I’m doing a movie with Paramount, and so on some level that’s for the masses. When you do stand-up, you do it for your fans. I’d like to get new fans, don’t get me wrong, but I’m doing stand-up for the people that have come to see me throughout the years. They expect a little something. I’ve got to give them that thing. If I don’t, they’re going to be pissed.

When you’re looking for subjects, do you go with your gut?

You keep notes. You look for the recurring. What’s not going away? Boy, this police-brutality thing — it seems to be lingering. What’s going to happen here? You don’t even have the joke, you just say, “Okay, what’s the new angle that makes me not sound like a preacher?” Forget being a comedian, just act like a reporter. What’s the question that hasn’t been asked? How come white kids don’t get shot? Have you ever watched television and seen some white kid get shot by accident?

And out of that comes comedy.

Comes humor. You laughed right away. I just asked a question that no one had ever asked.

Where do you think this comes from?

When I started doing comedy at Catch a Rising Star,16 I used to get there at 7:45 and leave about two in the morning. That’s six hours a night watching comedians for a good six years straight. Just watching, watching, watching. What I learned more than what I wanted to be was what I didn’t want to be and what I didn’t want to say.

For instance?

There were just too many cliché jokes. I never wanted to do that horrible gay voice that everybody does. I didn’t want to be swishing and all that crap. I didn’t want to do impressions of each ethnic group. A lot of comedians are very, very similar. So I’ve always said, “Okay, what if the thing that everybody’s talking about is wrong?”

Is there a part of you that feels ready to go back on tour?

I don’t know. I think I’d rather be on tour right now.

The exhilaration of performing?

There’s the exhilaration of performing. There’s more money. It’s far more lucrative. And there’s a lot of compromise in movies. Whereas stand-up, you don’t even have a director. You literally make every decision. But kids, man. Kids, and schedules, and traveling.

There’s such a romance about the road.

Yeah, it’s a romance, but I’d still rather go to my daughter’s basketball game. Lola scored seven points on Sunday! Got a couple rebounds. Playing Radio City would not be as fun as watching my daughter hit a three. I’ll eventually get a James Taylor schedule.

James Taylor?

Some people just don’t play during the school year. They get that down, buff it. There’s the Memorial Day–to–Labor Day tour with James.

You sound like a guy who’s turning 50 next year. Do you ever feel that you can never be as edgy as you once were?

I probably can’t, but it’s okay. I didn’t recall a lack of edge in George Carlin. Joan didn’t seem to have calmed down at all. I don’t think they were thinking about edge. I think they were just thinking about, How am I going to be funny? It’s funny first.
~~~~
~~~~

gusto
Charter member
26878 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 02:13 AM

26. "I like the Boomerang comparison"
In response to Reply # 0

i thought that tonight too. i liked it alot. didnt love. kinda hate the name.

..|.,

If you still don't know what Jade Typhoon is, click here:
http://jadetyphoon.blogspot.com/ (WS)

gusto
Charter member
26878 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 02:29 AM

27. "He wanted Chappelle in the movie"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/chris-rock-high-time-missed-dave-chappelle-article-1.2038377

..|.,

If you still don't know what Jade Typhoon is, click here:
http://jadetyphoon.blogspot.com/ (WS)

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 12:27 PM

28. "Top Five moments in this movie:"
In response to Reply # 0

5.) Ced in Houston
4.) Seein a healthy Tracy Morgan on screen again
3.) Gabby Union's seating rearrangement (especially after the sony leak)
2.) Rosario Dawson's saucy revenge
1.) Jail cameo

I'll cheat & add one more since everyone else in the movie did too

Rock's Double Dutch dance cause that was totally me back in the day

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 01:41 PM

30. "that cameo cinched it for me"
In response to Reply # 28

~~~~
~~~~

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 02:07 PM

31. "That might've been his best work ever...I was never a big fan"
In response to Reply # 30

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 10:04 AM

32. "same here"
In response to Reply # 31

didn't know he had it in him frankly
its what i like about chris rock movies
he tries to veer away from the standard
definitely does not bore me
~~~~
~~~~

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 12:40 PM

29. "Really, really funny and sweet as well."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-11-14 03:35 AM by ZooTown74

The last cameo (which was spoiled all to hell by that fucking Complex review at the top) had everyone in the packed house CRINE. Cedric killed, as did J.B. Smoove, Jerry Seinfeld and my new favorite, Leslie Jones. And I haven't laughed that hard at Adam Sandler in years.

It's also been a while since I've seen this much black pop culture celebrated on the screen. Combine that with the Woody Allen-meets-The Farrelly Brothers comic stylings, and you have one very funny film. Lots of quotables, as well as the memorable - and already-controversial (thanks to Terry Gross) - visual joke that had everybody HOWLING.

I'll have to unpack the logistics of the story and all of the lovely Rosario stuff at a later date. For now, I will just say, well done, Chris.

Niggas better go see this shit, then tell their friends to go see it.

________________________________________________________________________________
Niggas made aliases.

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 10:08 AM

33. "about time people got on board with leslie"
In response to Reply # 29

>The last cameo (which was spoiled all to hell by that fucking
>Complex review at the top) had everyone in the packed house
>CRINE.

and not exactly
there are mad cameos
the fact that heis where he is isnt the spoiler or that hes in the movie

~~~~
~~~~

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 12:56 PM

34. "."
In response to Reply # 33
Thu Dec-11-14 01:49 PM by ZooTown74

________________________________________________________________________________
Niggas made aliases.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 01:59 PM

35. "Naw that complex article ruined the cameo"
In response to Reply # 33

Of all the cameos, that was the most crowd pleasing. I saw the movie before reading the article so I didn't know. But if I'd known, that scene would not have been nearly as funny.

Complex actually said who was the cameo and where it occurs. The audience lost their mind when that scene came up. As funny as some of the other cameos are, they didn't have nearly the effect *that* cameo had.

>and not exactly
>there are mad cameos
>the fact that heis where he is isnt the spoiler or that hes in
>the movie
>
>~~~~
>When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so
>that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
>~~~~
>You cannot hate people for their own good.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:23 PM

36. "Jeah I'm glad I didn't read that til now either"
In response to Reply # 35

& apparently they thought Jay Pharoah was Wee Bay as well

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:39 PM

37. "disagree"

it wasnt funny until it became funny
just him there wasnt funny in and of itself for me

~~~~
~~~~

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 08:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
42. "Oh if someone had ruined that for me, I woulda slapped em "

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 01:20 AM

38. "A great new direction for Rock as a filmmaker."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't love the story, but I love that Rock is making this *type* of film. It feels personal, and it showcases himself and his humor very well. The Woody Allen vibe suits him well.

Rock is also very good at not being the star himself, but allowing others to shine. Dawson and all of the cameos really shine here more than Rock, but that allows Rock to shine as a filmmaker.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Grand_Royal
Charter member
33210 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 12:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
39. "Was it me or did Rosario look just like Goapele in this? "
In response to Reply # 0

There's an obvious resemblance, but I never noticed until now; I think it was her hairstyle.

The cameos really made the movie, especially the last one. I didn't like the scene with his family as much, maybe because parts were in the previews, but it was good to see Tracy and Sherri Shepherd.

The Letter L
Member since Apr 21st 2008
590 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 05:37 PM

48. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 39
Mon Dec-15-14 05:43 PM by The Letter L

^^^^^

"and there's your L" - pat sajak

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 06:44 PM

40. "i liked it."
In response to Reply # 0

my main complaint was the homophobia. but i give Rock credit for trying.

still, no.

and for the kids who may read this:

no, it's NOT true that a man who wants his girlfriend to play w/his butt is secretly gay.

no, it's NOT true that a man who wants his girlfriend to play w/his butt might be gay and he doesn't know it.

no, it's not true that a man who wants his girlfriend to play w/his butt is probably bisexual whether or not he knows.

men who want their GIRLFRIEND to play w/their butt are likely heterosexual. b/c they like having sex w/their GIRLFRIEND.

i'm gay and i know lots of gay guys. i don't want a woman to do anything sexual in my butt. i would not be satisfied by that whatsoever. b/c she's a woman. and i don't have sex w/body parts, i have them w/whole ppl. i don't want to have sex w/a whole person who is a woman or a female. i want to have sex whole ppl who live as men and are male.

i'm gay and i like to kiss. that doesn't mean i am as interested in kissing women as i am in kissing men.

i'm gay and i like to have my dick sucked. that doesn't mean i am as interested in having a woman suck my dick as i am in having a man do it.

i'm gay and i like to put my dick in the butt. that doesn't mean i am as interested in putting my dick in a woman's butt as am in putting it in a man's butt.

and on and on.

so, kids, despite the tired stereotypes this movie reinforced for lulz, it's not necessarily true that a guy who likes his butt played with is gay or bisexual.

fuck you.

lfresh
92696 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 07:05 PM

41. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 40

Not a good part of the movie
Although the vengeance was hilarious
~~~~
~~~~

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 10:43 AM

43. "Chris Rock addressed this in his NPR interview"

Just an excerpt. Hit the link for the full audio.

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/08/368753758/chris-rock-on-finding-the-line-between-funny-and-too-far

Chris Rock on a cruel prank in the film — involving a woman in a relationship with a man she does not realize is gay — and whether it could be construed as a joke at the expense of gay men:

"Four or five women told me similar stories. ... That's how jokes happen. It's never like, one person or two people — you got to hear it a few times when you do stuff like that, or else you're just being mean. I heard stories about stuff like this, and I don't know, that's all I got. ...

I feel your pain — but I've never thought about any joke or anything like that deeply. ... I mean, you're Terry Gross. It's your job to analyze this and fight the good fight, you know, but you know, I probably, I might be the only black comedian in the country who hasn't gay-bashed. Ever. ...

No comedian wants to have to analyze and defend something. It's like, you thought something was funny; you wrote it down; you acted it out; you talked to people. You know? It works or it doesn't work. I'm not a politician; I'm not a thinker. I'm a comedian. It's just like, "OK. Tell jokes." Some work, some don't. There's no bigger indictment that the joke's not working than to not laugh. Nothing is a bigger indictment. Nothing is a bigger, screamingly, "This is wrong!" than the sound of non-laughter."

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 01:04 PM

45. "He's definitely a thinker."
In response to Reply # 43

Look at all of these interviews coming out recently! No one's passing them around because they're so hilarious-- they're being passed around because he's smart. He's a thoughtful and intelligent guy.

He just conveniently chose not to think here.

I don't think it's a malicious joke, but it definitely perpetuates a myth, and Rock playing the "I'm not a thinker" card is disingenuous, IMO.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 04:03 PM

46. "^^"
In response to Reply # 45

fuck you.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 04:48 PM

57. "Yep!"

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 03:59 PM

62. "that was the one part of the movie"

that no one in my theater laughed at....and my theater was packed at that.

it was weird....people wanted to laugh but I got the distinct impression of how uncomfortable it would have been if they did...

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 12:37 AM

68. "hah!"
In response to Reply # 43

I interviewed him immediately after TG. No wonder he said he didn't think she liked him .

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 12:47 PM

44. "Yeah, easily the worst part of the film."

The Letter L
590 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 05:39 PM

49. "its homophobic to joke about gays now?"

if you didnt think it was funny thats fine

but to accuse that part of the movie of being homophobic is wrong.

Rock said it was based off of true stories told to him,
so just becuz its not true for you its inaccurate & homophobic?

(spoiler) its like saying that threesome in the movie w/ Rock & Ced is sexist & degrading to black women when in reality some chicks get down like that

all in your feelings like it was a personal attack

youre an example of why Rock said he believes he wouldnt be as successful if he'd started comedy today becuz everyone is so damn hypersensitive

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 06:47 PM

50. "It was literal fear of homosexuality."
In response to Reply # 49

Can't get much more homophobic than worrying that ___ is gay where being gay is undesirable. It's textbook.

>if you didnt think it was funny thats fine

Oh, I didnt.

>but to accuse that part of the movie of being homophobic is
>wrong.

It was homophobia by definition.

>Rock said it was based off of true stories told to him,
>so just becuz its not true for you its inaccurate &
>homophobic?

Truth can be homophobic. As can the tellers of the "truth".

>youre an example of why Rock said he believes he wouldnt be as
>successful if he'd started comedy today becuz everyone is so
>damn hypersensitive

lol. We have voice now and will call out homophobia. It's hard out here for a homophobe.

fuck you.

The Letter L
590 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 07:06 PM

51. "Nope"
In response to Reply # 50

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 10:04 AM

54. "you dont get to tell him"
In response to Reply # 51
Tue Dec-16-14 10:06 AM by lfresh

not to be offended
this is not how this works

culpepper, pascal and rudin think they are hilarious as well
are you laughing?
~~~~
~~~~

The Letter L
590 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 03:09 PM

56. "**two snaps & a twist** "
In response to Reply # 54

#ByeFelicia

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 11:25 PM

58. ""it's hard out here for a homophobe""
In response to Reply # 56

Well well
~~~~
~~~~

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 02:31 PM

59. "But wait he gets to tell us what kind of sex straight men like?"
In response to Reply # 58

Y'all really don't see the hypocrisy of it all?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 05:17 PM

65. "explain. i don't think you're making the point you think you're making. "
In response to Reply # 59

The Letter L
590 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 06:07 PM

66. "http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/auto-chris-rock-quote-202072.jpeg"
In response to Reply # 65

http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/auto-chris-rock-quote-202072.jpeg

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 02:13 PM

74. "a man who likes a finger in his butt isn't necessarily gay."
In response to Reply # 59
Thu Dec-18-14 02:14 PM by SoWhat

period.

i don't know or care what the hell else you're talking about based on your mis-reading of something i posted earlier.

fuck you.

The Letter L
590 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 05:49 PM

78. "."
In response to Reply # 74

http://img2-azcdn.newser.com/square-image/142463-20120322090824/america-needs-to-lose-the-fake-outrage.jpeg

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 04:40 PM

79. "We agree but you went a step further and said a guy who likes a finger"
In response to Reply # 74

in his but from his girl is definitively not gay. Which you can't say. Maybe he is, Maybe he isn't.

That's all. Small point of order.

>period.
>
>i don't know or care what the hell else you're talking about
>based on your mis-reading of something i posted earlier.
>

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 05:54 PM

80. "... huh?"
In response to Reply # 79

A guy who likes receiving a sexual act exclusively from the opposite sex is not "maybe he's gay, maybe he isn't." If you exclusively want sexual pleasure from the opposite sex, that's the textbook definition of heterosexuality. Nowhere in the definition of heterosexuality does it say "creeped out by buttplay."

I don't care if dude wants to be rammed with a foot-long penis-shaped dildo-- if he's turned on when it's from a girl, and he's turned off by the idea of it coming from a guy, then he's not gay. No matter the act.

If a guy liked it when another guy jacked him off using one of those artificial vaginas, would that make him straight, even if he only likes it from guys? I have a feeling anyone making the "all butt stuff is maybe gay" argument wouldn't make the argument if it went the other direction.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 08:03 PM

82. "liking butt sex doesn't necessarily make a guy any more likely to be gay"
In response to Reply # 80
Fri Dec-19-14 08:03 PM by SoWhat

than liking oral sex or liking kissing or liking holding hands or liking hot dogs or liking ice cream.....

that's my point. you feel me.

fuck you.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 06:45 PM

81. "Whatev."
In response to Reply # 79

fuck you.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 11:40 PM

52. "I don't see your basis for categorically denying that it happens. "

It was the weakest joke in the film (probably the laziest as well) and I think we can agree that a man who like a finger up the butt is necessarily gay but I don't see how being a gay man gives you the authority to declare that a man who dates women but is interested in gay sex would not want a finger in his butt.

You really going to take the position that it doesn't happen?

>my main complaint was the homophobia. but i give Rock credit
>for trying.
>
>still, no.
>
>and for the kids who may read this:
>
>no, it's NOT true that a man who wants his girlfriend to play
>w/his butt is secretly gay.
>
>no, it's NOT true that a man who wants his girlfriend to play
>w/his butt might be gay and he doesn't know it.
>
>no, it's not true that a man who wants his girlfriend to play
>w/his butt is probably bisexual whether or not he knows.
>
>men who want their GIRLFRIEND to play w/their butt are likely
>heterosexual. b/c they like having sex w/their GIRLFRIEND.
>
>i'm gay and i know lots of gay guys. i don't want a woman to
>do anything sexual in my butt. i would not be satisfied by
>that whatsoever. b/c she's a woman. and i don't have sex
>w/body parts, i have them w/whole ppl. i don't want to have
>sex w/a whole person who is a woman or a female. i want to
>have sex whole ppl who live as men and are male.
>
>i'm gay and i like to kiss. that doesn't mean i am as
>interested in kissing women as i am in kissing men.
>
>i'm gay and i like to have my dick sucked. that doesn't mean
>i am as interested in having a woman suck my dick as i am in
>having a man do it.
>
>i'm gay and i like to put my dick in the butt. that doesn't
>mean i am as interested in putting my dick in a woman's butt
>as am in putting it in a man's butt.
>
>and on and on.
>
>so, kids, despite the tired stereotypes this movie reinforced
>for lulz, it's not necessarily true that a guy who likes his
>butt played with is gay or bisexual.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 08:16 AM

53. "i'm sure you don't."
In response to Reply # 52

fuck you.

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 12:36 AM

67. "glad you wrote this"

you're 10,000% right.

It didn't ruin the film for me (I really liked it, overall), and it didn't seem mean-spirited to me so much as ignorant, which helped, but it definitely bothered me.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

The Letter L
590 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 09:47 AM

70. "Since Chris Rock is an ignorant homophobe now, lemme ask this"
In response to Reply # 67
Thu Dec-18-14 09:56 AM by The Letter L

When white filmmakers make movies were a black character is the butt of a joke thats a little racy
and some black folk feel some type of way about it
even if finding out afterwards that scenario was based on an actual event
should that white filmmaker be regarded as ignorant & racist?

or should those black folk realize that sometimes jokes are irreverent?

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 02:11 PM

72. "same here."
In response to Reply # 67

i wasn't ready to storm out of the theater demanding a refund. i didn't write a nasty Yelp review. i was a bit disappointed, that's all.

fuck you.

The Letter L
590 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 03:04 PM

75. "."
In response to Reply # 72

http://img2-azcdn.newser.com/square-image/142463-20120322090824/america-needs-to-lose-the-fake-outrage.jpeg

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 08:12 AM

87. "sorry, the joke was funny and not homophobic...but cook on"

...part of the joke was it was ALL homie wanted to do, and even SHE was like "he's not gay cause of this one thing", then the scene at the hotel shows that he's at least bisexual...not that everyone who does what happened is, BUT JUST THIS ONE GUY.....Rock even chastises her in the next scene for saying she's had girlfriends, but saying dude is gay cause he possibly had sex with his best buddy....

i went to two showings and both audiences were crackin up...esp at the revenge part...and it wasn't even what he wanted her to do, but how he acted about it and her reaction.....but again, cook on...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 04:18 PM

90. "thanks, Calico. "
In response to Reply # 87
Mon Dec-22-14 04:18 PM by SoWhat

that cleared up everything for me.

fuck you.

Rolo_Tomasi
1140 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 05:10 PM

47. "Absolutely worth seeing "
In response to Reply # 0

I really enjoyed Top 5, saw it last week in Miami as its not out in London until March.

To me its the funniest film i've seen since Tropic Thunder both films made me laugh a lot in the cinema which is rare for me.

Smartly written and both Rock and Rosario are excellent throughout. I loved the sass that they threw at each other "teen mom" etc...

Romantic yet not too contrived but the alias journalist name plot line wasn't really necessary.

Funny JFK Marilyn Monroe blowjob joke with JFK going straight out to buy a convertible.

Fun cameos but because they were hyped I was expecting a bit more from them. DMX wins!

JB Smoove was excellent and him not having more than a supporting role really worked.

Excellent ending too.

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:10 PM

55. "RE: Top Five (Rock, 2015) (SPOILERS)"
In response to Reply # 0

Grade B

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 02:40 PM

60. "Was anyone else not feeling the joke about his dad?"
In response to Reply # 0

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 03:56 PM

61. "RE: Was anyone else not feeling the joke about his dad?"
In response to Reply # 60

were we supposed to?

It was clear he and his father had NO relationship and Andre clearly has unresolved issues with him that weren't addressed and probably won't be addressed...

Get Out the Room

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 04:02 PM

63. "I didn't think that was meant to get laughs."

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 04:52 PM

64. "That scene seemed to be played for more of a shock than a laugh"

I wasn't shocked when he told her it was his Dad so maybe he just wanted to get Ben Vereen some screen time

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 01:17 AM

69. "Yeah, that wasn't meant to be funny."

Niggas made aliases.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 12:51 PM

71. "maaaaaaan that wet mattress.....that killed me"
In response to Reply # 0

totally solid film with a very smart ending

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 02:12 PM

73. "me too!"
In response to Reply # 71

LOL

fuck you.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 03:10 PM

76. "i nearly choked on my popcorn and cried"

when they showed that....

Top Five is outstanding!

Get Out the Room

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 05:06 PM

77. "oh god yes"

that part felt based on someone
like christ tucker turned super christian
and i'm looking at this like
i wonder if something similar happened
~~~~
~~~~

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 10:56 PM

83. "i've seen this movie twice this weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'd go a third if the movie homie asked....it's that great....

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Dec-21-14 02:58 PM

84. "very funny and speaking of cameos SHOULD have spoilers in the subject li..."
In response to Reply # 0

I think my mind melted when Rosario started double dutching

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 03:23 AM

86. "RE: very funny and speaking of cameos SHOULD have spoilers in the subjec..."
In response to Reply # 84
Mon Dec-22-14 03:24 AM by SankofaII

>I think my mind melted when Rosario started double dutching

man people went HAM in my theater when she started double dutching.

Like...we all know Dawson is amazing. But, she straight ran up in a double dutch cypher, side hawk poppin, held her dress down and was jump roping WITH heels on? She is everything. Really, she is.

Get Out the Room

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Sun Dec-21-14 11:16 PM

85. "JB Smoove was really really good"
In response to Reply # 0

everybody was good
i was actually kinda surprised

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 11:54 AM

89. "Good, cute funny flick"
In response to Reply # 0

favorite line though..?

"...if you don't get the FUCK out my face..."

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 07:36 PM

91. "One of the best movies this year"
In response to Reply # 0

Everybody mentioned all the great stuff about this movie already. Everybody did a great job. My girlfriend who is haitian was laughing her ass off at all the references in the movie. She said and I quote "we do not eat ketchup with spaghetti! Hell no!" but she was laughing at all of it.

Him and Kevin Hart phone back to back was hilarious and I didn't see anyone mention it yet.

Cedric the Entertainer man, LMAO

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

madwriter
Charter member
12234 posts
Fri Dec-26-14 11:55 PM

92. "my dad actually eats spaghetti "
In response to Reply # 91

that way
disgusting

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Dec-28-14 10:07 PM

93. "what a good movie"
In response to Reply # 0

I like the occasional 'meta' Hollywood film. This was done nicely.

I believed the chemistry between Dawson and Rock.

The cameos all worked.

The Tyler Perry cracks were funny.

And the ending was really, really well done.

My only small gripe was just that the Top Five part (which was the title) was kind of shoed in and didn't really have much to do with the story or themes. Luckily it didn't take away from the main story or romance.

I hope this movie does well.

Solaam
Charter member
2997 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 12:54 AM

94. "Good flick, highly recommended "
In response to Reply # 0

PS3/Xbox ID: BackDo Do
Wii: Solaam

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Jan-01-15 08:58 PM

95. "Funny movie, the heart moments fell a little flat"
In response to Reply # 0

Obviously, there were laughs aplenty in this but I felt like most of the character moments were just over the top and it took away from the picture.

While the Cedric the Entertainer stuff was funny, it didn't really strike me as a worst moment for an alcoholic, especially since it was shit happening to him not awful stuff he did. (Especially compared to Rosario's stories.)

The James Nielsen twist seemed unnecessary to me and seemed really forced. The gay boyfriend seemed like he just really wanted to jam in (no pun intended) the hot sauce tampon joke.

Gabrielle Union's moment of self-awareness in the call about "This is all I have" felt false. Especially since it's not like she'd lose her show or celebrity if she got dumped at the alter.

Still, it was a solid film.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 07:28 PM

96. "Finally saw it today."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-02-15 07:28 PM by Hitokiri

Loved it.
It was beautiful that Chris Rock made this movie who he made this movie for.
I understand some of the criticisms in this thread but I loved this.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Sun Mar-22-15 11:04 PM

97. "Bought the bluray"
In response to Reply # 0

And watched it with some friends.

We liked it.

/end review

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 01:14 AM

98. "In the first 20 mins I thought this was going to be another Rock movie"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-14-15 01:15 AM by Starks dunked on Bul

I was dreading it and just waiting for the movie to be over. The way the movie shifted, I'm very surprised how well the movie turned out.

In the first 30 minutes, Rock seemed awkward and showed bad acting. I was thinking perhaps another actor should've played the leading role. But as I continued to watch, it made sense. I like that fact that this had some dark comedy elements.

Some highlights = Cedric, JB Smoove, Tracy Morgan

Best Rock movie. This one is good.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #686676 Previous topic | Next topic