Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #686561

Subject: "Adam Sandler to feature next 4 films straight to Netflix. Studios? Mad." Previous topic | Next topic
The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 12:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Adam Sandler to feature next 4 films straight to Netflix. Studios? Mad."
Wed Oct-08-14 12:32 AM by The Wordsmith

Do any of you think this is a good idea? If this strikes gold for Sandler, I'm sure many more production companies will be willing to try this method. Will this make Netflix a powerhouse? Will this give artists more freedom with the type of movies they'd like to make?

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/694789

Warner Bros. No Longer in Talks to Make Adam Sandler's 'The Ridiculous Six' (Exclusive)

4:14 PM PST 10/07/2014 by Pamela McClintock
Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP
His deal to make four films for Netflix puts Hollywood studios in a tough spot

Warner Bros. is no longer in talks to make Adam Sandler's The Ridiculous Six, a Western comedy that faced a series of challenges, including the actor's decision to make four feature films exclusively for Netflix, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The Netflix deal, announced Oct. 1, caught many by surprise, since Sandler is one of the studio system's most entrenched, and prolific, stars. He'll both star in and produce the four titles, meaning he'll be unavailable for long stretches of time for studio projects. His company, Happy Madison Productions, will develop the movies in tandem with Netflix.

A host of issues plagued Ridiculous Six well before Netflix announced its Sandler partnership. One insider said Warners' decision to walk away from the comedy had nothing to do with the streaming service, yet the decision coincided with word of Sandler's new deal.

Warners had been in talks for months to make the film, and during that time, Sandler's Blended badly underperformed for the studio, while Seth McFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West, another Western comedy, out and out bombed (Universal and Media Rights Capital made that film). Also, Warners and Happy Madison hadn't come to terms on the size of the production budget for Ridiculous Six.

Read more Netflix's Ted Sarandos Slams Theater Owners: They 'Try to Strangle Innovation' (Video)

It's not the first time Ridiculous Six has left the rodeo. Sony was originally set to make the movie, but put the film into turnaround in 2012. Paramount pursued the movie, then passed, with rights reverting to Sony.

Warner Bros. declined comment on Ridiculous Six. Sony and Happy Madison likewise declined comment, including as to whether Ridiculous Six could now be headed to Netflix.

Warner executives haven't made any official statements, but behind the scenes say they fully intend to work with Sandler again. And Sony, where Sandler has a longtime deal, says it has every intention of working with Sandler for years to come.

Read more Adam Sandler's Comedic Western Moves From Sony to Paramount (Exclusive)

Still, industry observers question what will happen once Sandler's current Sony commitments, including Pixels and Hotel Transylvania 2, have been completed and he turns his attention to his Netflix projects. Pixels, which just wrapped shooting, is set for release July 24, 2015. The Hotel Transylvania sequel rolls out Sept. 15, 2015, and there's a possible Grown Ups 3 in the offing.

Sources say Sandler, whose box-office track record has been up and down as of late, did call Sony and Warners to personally inform them of the deal, but didn't give much notice.

EDIT: Here's a little more elaboration on how the studios (and theaters) ain't feeling this move:

http://www.slashgear.com/netflix-hit-with-industry-backlash-over-new-movie-deals-07349635/

Netflix hit with industry backlash over new movie deals

Brittany Hillen

Netflix and Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions recently made a surprise announcement: that the video streaming service would partner in creating four new Sandler movies that will launch on Netflix exclusively. This immediately followed a similar announcement that Netflix will be making a second Crouching Tiger movie, launching it online at the same time as in IMAX theaters. Such moves were bound to happen and give consumers more control over their entertainment, but as expected, both have received substantial backlash from industry staples balking at the budding shift in how theatrical entertainment takes place.

The Hollywood Reporter says sources have told it Warner Bros. has dropped talks about producing Sandler's Western comedy The Ridiculous Six. The reason partly surrounds the deal with Netflix, though one source says the decision only merely coincided with the Netflix deal, but wasn't a direct result of it.

The sources say, among other things, that Sandler made a call himself to both Warner Bros. and Sony to let them know about his milestone partnership with Netflix, but that there wasn't much warning that it was coming, and the deal poses issues for studios on more than just the business level.

These troubles only hint at the wider issues the Netflix deal has caused, with theaters having threatened to boycott any film that will launch on Netflix before or at the same time as cinemas. Regal Cinemas is one such company, with the New York Times reporting that it said it won't "participate in an experiment where you can see the same product on screens varying from three stories tall to three inches wide on a smartphone."

Since 1976

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Seems like a natural progression of things
Oct 08th 2014
i think in Sandler's case, his friends will show up
Oct 08th 2014
Fading star?
Jun 06th 2016
If it was Sony instead of WB, there'd be smoke
Oct 08th 2014
not his next four, not necessarily. but four.
Oct 08th 2014
Neither of those swipes explain why this is a threat to traditional stud...
Oct 08th 2014
perhaps because it could devalue the theatrical release or the
Oct 08th 2014
      RE: perhaps because it could devalue the theatrical release or the
Oct 08th 2014
      RE: perhaps because it could devalue the theatrical release or the
Oct 08th 2014
      c is why i wasnt getting it
Oct 08th 2014
      Theatrical release ticket sales are fine.
Oct 08th 2014
Sandler's last 4 movies should have gone straight to dvd
Oct 08th 2014
I got really stoned and decided to try Ridiculous Six
Jan 04th 2016
I was sober
Jan 04th 2016
Is he like Michel'e where he talks as fucked off camera as he does on?
Jan 04th 2016
Sandler won
Jan 07th 2016
It's kind of meaningless
Jan 07th 2016
according to netflix's vp of content, it's viewing hours
Jan 08th 2016
      It would have been news if it wasn't the biggest
Jan 08th 2016
Ultimately America wins
Jan 07th 2016
What does Netflix define as "watched"
Jan 08th 2016
0 seconds
Jan 09th 2016
R6 has a one star anticipated rating for me.
Jan 09th 2016
RE: R6 has a one star anticipated rating for me.
Jan 10th 2016
      I just checked the anticipated rating for their Originals I haven't watc...
Jan 10th 2016
           RE: I just checked the anticipated rating for their Originals I haven't ...
Jan 10th 2016
                And now Netflix wants to ditch the rating system
Jan 11th 2016
                     RE: And now Netflix wants to ditch the rating system
Jan 11th 2016
                          They should just have emojis instead of stars
Jan 11th 2016
                               RE: They should just have emojis instead of stars
Jan 11th 2016
they definitely put their thumb on the scales for netflix stuff
Jan 14th 2016
      the netflix curve
May 28th 2016
Maybe the movie automatically plays after an episode of anything
Jan 10th 2016
      so hes U2
Mar 26th 2017
Semi-related: NBC reveals some Netflix ratings
Jan 13th 2016
Its a good thing....
Jun 06th 2016
I can see that.
Jun 08th 2016
This is true...
Jun 11th 2016
I was actually surprised that I liked Do-Over
Jun 08th 2016
surprisingly, it's probably Sandler's best movie in years.
Jun 16th 2016
four more jeers
Mar 26th 2017

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 02:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Seems like a natural progression of things"
In response to Reply # 0

Indie films have already been doing something similar with being released online at the same time as it hits theaters.

I'm not sure how great of a deal it is for Netflix, hitching themselves to a fading star, although I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and figured out that Adam Sandler will open them to a market that doesn't already have Netflix.

Sandler and Crouching Tiger are getting 50 million dollar budgets. Shouldn't be a problem for Sandler although I wonder if he'll be able to lure any of his pals to the movies without a bigger budget. Or maybe he'll try to transition in some younger actors.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 07:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i think in Sandler's case, his friends will show up"
In response to Reply # 1

just cause they all seem to really like working together...i'm guessing that their appearances may be more as cameos at worst...

LOL at theaters threatening not to show your movie if you release it on Netflix too...they're just taking money outta their own pockets and throwing it away...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Mon Jun-06-16 04:46 PM

35. "Fading star?"
In response to Reply # 1

Shut ya bumba, he's got A-Rod numbers

Might be a critical disaster but he's done very well at the box office

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 09:04 AM

3. "If it was Sony instead of WB, there'd be smoke"
In response to Reply # 0

Isn't Sandler Sony's prize pig?

I have a 400 year old chip on my shoulder.

Rjcc
Charter member
94958 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "not his next four, not necessarily. but four."
In response to Reply # 0

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 11:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Neither of those swipes explain why this is a threat to traditional stud..."
In response to Reply # 0

In other words, if I'm Universal, I'm not sure why it matters to me if Sandler's next picture is with Warner Brothers, Sony or Netflix.

If anything, Netflix is essentially becoming just another studio. I can see existing studios viewing that as a "threat" in terms of there being a new competitor in the marketplace, but I'm not seeing how this will have a radical effect on what they do.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, though.

Now, exhibitors, on the other hand...I can see them being mighty pissed off, because future deals like this could definitely eat into their revenue. I know that there are a lot of reasons I often prefer to watch movies on a nice home theater system from the comfort of my couch, and I'm sure there are others who feel the same. Bad news for theaters, but not necessarily bad news for movies in general...

----

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 12:04 PM

6. "perhaps because it could devalue the theatrical release or the"
In response to Reply # 5

movie as an artform or product. the video on demand releases before, during, or shortly after the theatrical run and before dvd have even given me pause recently, and i have no vested interest other than deciding if i should still spend $12 and go out to see the same movie i can see at home for less. the studios might look at the situation like a bad sign of what's to come if people can expect big stars to debut their movies effectively for free online.

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 12:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: perhaps because it could devalue the theatrical release or the"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed Oct-08-14 12:37 PM by The Analyst

>the video on demand releases before, during, or shortly after the >theatrical run and before dvd have even given me pause recently, >and i have no vested interest other than deciding if i should >still spend $12 and go out to see the same movie i can see at >home for less.

See, I don't think it's usually a decision of (a) watch a movie at home or (b) watch it at the theater. There's also (c) don't watch it at all.

I take advantage of movies on iTunes or VOD while they're still in theaters a lot, but the reality is that it's usually for fairly obscure titles that I don't even have access to see in a theater.

For example, this weekend I watched The Two Faces of January, Night Moves, and Palo Alto all from iTunes via Apple TV. Those are all current or recent releases. I likely wouldn't have paid to see any of them in theaters, especially because I would have had to drive 45 minutes to the nearest spot playing them. Because they were available to me though an alternate avenue, though, the movies made money they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

I guess the point is, although these avenues might be cutting into theater attendance, they're also allowing movies to capture a wider customer base.

When it comes to "event" movies, like INTERSTELLAR, people are still going to see shit like that in a theater. I think the only concern I have as a consumer is that Netflix will try to substantially raise prices or create a tiered system for "premium" content to make these new moves pay off.

----

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 01:22 PM

8. "RE: perhaps because it could devalue the theatrical release or the"
In response to Reply # 7

>See, I don't think it's usually a decision of (a) watch a
>movie at home or (b) watch it at the theater. There's also (c)
>don't watch it at all.

i agree. so far, i've mostly chosen c, or maybe d for delayed viewing. this summer i spent the $12 to see snowpiercer at the local AFI movie theater instead of viewing it on demand from home for a few dollars less. it's the kind of movie i thought would look better on a bigger screen (never mind that i finally saw it weeks into its release so it was playing on the smallest of the 3 screens at AFI), it was one of the few i'd been looking forward to seeing this year, i wasn't sure if it would make any difference to the studios and filmmaker if i saw it there instead of renting from home, and finally i wanted to support AFI, which for various reasons, including the $12 ticket vs. my discounted tickets at the regal a couple blocks away, i rarely go to in recent years. still, i've noticed a lot of movies available on demand before netflix and redbox and decided simply to wait for regular rental. some of them i was even interested in seeing on the big screen, but i missed the opportunity, and seeing them a few days or weeks early doesn't matter to me now. at $8+ a pop for on demand, that's more than a discounted ticket costs for me to see a movie at the local regal or AMC. still other movies i see listed are just ones i would probably not spend the time and $12 to see at AFI or venture into the city for, and i am completely content waiting on them rather than paying exponentially more to see them on demand during or just after the theatrical run.

>Because they were available to me though an alternate
>avenue, though, the movies made money they wouldn't have
>gotten otherwise.

i respect that, but i'm not ready to subsidize the studio system or independent filmmakers to that level. i'm assuming you would have watched these films eventually and decided to do it now because it was convenient and you were in the mood for or eager to see them (rather than ones you would never have seen).

>I guess the point is, although these avenues might be cutting
>into theater attendance, they're also allowing movies to
>capture a wider customer base.

i agree, and you can look at it as more of a theater owner problem, but i think at the very least on a subconscious level there is merit to the devaluation of movies when they no longer require going out and a commitment in the area of $10 per person and maybe parking and a babysitter, not to mention concessions for those into that. i harp on how annoying people are at the movies, but i still like the experience. i don't think it's going away, but i can see why a big star, regardless of recent box office success, bringing first run films to netflix poses a threat to the studio system because it makes movies seem even more "free" than they already do, which makes it hard to justify the ticket and physical home video prices. the threat is more psychological. this isn't a recent film school dropout's first picture being shown for "free" online; it's 4 movies from proven draw adam sandler, and maybe the people getting hip to netflix streaming or video on demand now will think very differently about going to the movies (which could be great for me).

>When it comes to "event" movies, like INTERSTELLAR, people are
>still going to see shit like that in a theater.

i agree.

>I think the
>only concern I have as a consumer is that Netflix will try to
>substantially raise prices or create a tiered system for
>"premium" content to make these new moves pay off.

i hope not but could definitely see it happening. most of this year i could not get netflix to stream well at home except for unusual hours. it's been working better just recently so i am going to try to watch more before the price freeze ends.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 03:50 PM

10. "c is why i wasnt getting it"
In response to Reply # 7

>>the video on demand releases before, during, or shortly
>after the >theatrical run and before dvd have even given me
>pause recently, >and i have no vested interest other than
>deciding if i should >still spend $12 and go out to see the
>same movie i can see at >home for less.
>
>See, I don't think it's usually a decision of (a) watch a
>movie at home or (b) watch it at the theater. There's also (c)
>don't watch it at all.

c is movies i wouldnt be paying for when it comes down to it because there is better out there id rather pay for or i dont think its worth the cost of the theatre period

but i do pay for cable and am willing to wait

but if i have to option of paying and seeing it on VOD
i like that additional option
this is "more money for you"

while yes i download
some movies i will wait for because i'd rather see a better quality version
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 01:23 PM

9. "Theatrical release ticket sales are fine."
In response to Reply # 6

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/

The industry, like all industries, is divided between the "change can be good!" crowd and "change will kill us!" crowd.

People thought VHS/DVD would cripple theatrical ticket sales. They didn't.

People thought cable/premium TV would cripple ticket sales. They didn't.

People thought piracy would cripple ticket sales. It didn't.

VOD won't cripple the industry either. Per usual, the industry will adapt and learn how to exploit the new technology for financial gain. It may just take some longer to figure this out than others. After all, for the studios who are profiting from the current model, it ain't broke, so they don't want it fixed.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 07:16 PM

11. "Sandler's last 4 movies should have gone straight to dvd"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-08-14 07:16 PM by go mack

not much different here

go mack
4020 posts
Mon Jan-04-16 02:49 PM

12. "I got really stoned and decided to try Ridiculous Six"
In response to Reply # 0

my god its awful but since I was stoned I did laugh quite a bit at how bad it really is. Don't attempt to watch this one sober people or if you are over 10 years old. Poop jokes are really only funny then.

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Mon Jan-04-16 03:01 PM

13. "I was sober"
In response to Reply # 12

It's literally a completely amateur attempt at making a movie.

Comically bad.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Mon Jan-04-16 03:22 PM

14. "Is he like Michel'e where he talks as fucked off camera as he does on?"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

go mack
4020 posts
Thu Jan-07-16 10:20 AM

15. "Sandler won"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/adam-sandler-netflix-deal-looking-041121033.html

I can only blame myself for watching I guess.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Jan-07-16 02:21 PM

16. "It's kind of meaningless"
In response to Reply # 15

Netflix doesn't report their numbers so we don't know what this means. Also, it's a new movie that was advertised which makes it different from every other movie out there.

Also, for Netflix, the key would be if it boosted subscriptions or they saw a better retention rate.

Sandler won either way because he's getting paid but it'll be interesting to see what his payday will be after these movies.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Rjcc
Charter member
94958 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 04:17 AM

18. "according to netflix's vp of content, it's viewing hours"
In response to Reply # 16

but I think people underestimate how big sandler is internationally.

he fucking crosses over, combine that with a big promotional push by netflix putting him at the top of people's queues, and there you go.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 12:58 PM

19. "It would have been news if it wasn't the biggest"
In response to Reply # 18
Fri Jan-08-16 01:00 PM by SoulHonky

As a political writer tweeted, reporting Netflix's boasts is like taking poll numbers from a campaign. By "we don't know what it means", I mean that we have zero frame of reference as to how big it was or how much bigger it was or how it compares to his usual theatrical releases. To say it was the biggest is nothing to me. It really should be no surprise that this movie was the most watched given the way they pushed it.

Either way, I just think the "Sandler won" comment is kind of bizarre and meaningless. He made a shit movie that a lot of people watched. It's what he's done for most of his career.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Numba_33
Charter member
19322 posts
Thu Jan-07-16 04:09 PM

17. "Ultimately America wins"
In response to Reply # 15

since I'm hoping that'll keep Sandler movies out of the theaters and strictly online at Netflix.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66741 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 01:26 PM

20. "What does Netflix define as "watched""
In response to Reply # 0

Does someone (a normal human) who turned it off after 5 minutes count as watched?

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

howisya
39983 posts
Sat Jan-09-16 02:25 PM

21. "0 seconds"
In response to Reply # 20

ever since they redesigned the tv app i use to stream netflix, just looking at the information page for a title makes netflix think i am more "interested" in it than i am something i actually added to my list because it starts autoplaying in the background after a couple seconds (so i get all kinds of bogus "because of your interest in" insert title of unknown/forgotten movie or show here), and if i accidentally hit play while i'm there, netflix just won't let it go, listing it as "recently watched" and pitching it to me to continue and what else i might like because i supposedly watched it. never mind the thousands of titles i've actually rated over the last 11 years on their web site.

netflix's system is so rigged, their originals get instant 5-star anticipated user ratings that never seem to go down. the ridiculous six, to their credit, is actually one of the rare exceptions to this. it got a measly 4- instead of 5-star rating when it went up and eventually made its way down to i think 2 1/2 stars before settling into the 3 stars it sits at currently. it's such a racket that i wouldn't trust anything netflix says trying to be objective about their own success.

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Sat Jan-09-16 08:07 PM

22. "R6 has a one star anticipated rating for me. "
In response to Reply # 21

Rate more movies maybe?

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 12:17 AM

23. "RE: R6 has a one star anticipated rating for me. "
In response to Reply # 22

>Rate more movies maybe?

i don't think that's the issue (see highlight):
http://i67.tinypic.com/5ui9hd.jpg

i mostly give out 3s and 4s, which makes netflix's anticipated ratings on their streaming side all the more bizarre and those of their own content especially damning. you don't see anything like these on your end?
http://i63.tinypic.com/516ceu.jpg

the running joke in my head has been ridiculous six must suck if it doesn't have 5 stars because that's what netflix gives the rest of its original content, at least to me. it did start at 4 anyway so maybe that's the sandler scale for netflix originals instead of the default instant 5 stars.

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 09:58 AM

24. "I just checked the anticipated rating for their Originals I haven't watc..."
In response to Reply # 23

There are a few 3 stars in there but the majority is almost hitting 5 like your picture. I wonder why Sandler is the anomaly for me?

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 12:39 PM

25. "RE: I just checked the anticipated rating for their Originals I haven't ..."
In response to Reply # 24

>There are a few 3 stars in there but the majority is almost
>hitting 5 like your picture.

i've essentially watched none of their originals even though i've added most of their series to my list, and it's probably partly because the 5 stars next to them are so offputting when i may rate something 5 stars once or twice a year. it seems very manipulative on netflix's part to skew their own content so high.

>I wonder why Sandler is the
>anomaly for me?

i don't know. i can't quite put a finger on it. i have both streaming and discs, and my expected ratings on the "dvd.com" (gag) side are much more reasonable, and it also shows the average of all ratings for the title. the streaming side is chock full of 4 3/4- to 5-star anticipated ratings even beyond the netflix originals, at least for me. the same titles sometimes have a much lower expected rating for me on the disc side of the site, and i can see the overall average rating is not sky high, usually close to the middle. i had assumed netflix treats its streaming customers like idiots, but maybe i'm just one of the idiots to them and you're not.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 05:02 PM

27. "And now Netflix wants to ditch the rating system"
In response to Reply # 25

Well, the five star one. They claim people are being too tough on movies and judging on quality rather than enjoyment.
Or something.

http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-wants-to-ditch-5-star-ratings-2016-1

----

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 08:42 PM

28. "RE: And now Netflix wants to ditch the rating system"
In response to Reply # 27

>Well, the five star one. They claim people are being too
>tough on movies and judging on quality rather than enjoyment.
>Or something.

well, there's truth in that; my theory was that people on the streaming side probably rate titles 1, 5, and not much in between, whereas there's more nuance on the older site (discs, with its longer ratings history that i assume gets overpowered by the ratings on the streaming side if it even factors the older system). i used to enjoy reading netflix user reviews and put stock in them when deciding to rent something, but over the years they became dominated by dumb dumbs complaining about damaged and unavailable discs (usually with a 1-star rating) or about the content not being available to stream (often with a 5-star rating) when they should be calling customer service instead. my problem is i've been using netflix as my de facto system of record of what i've seen and how i liked it, using their scale. (one reason i don't give school letter grades in the "what have you watched lately" topics is i don't think that way, it's purely my own enjoyment level in netflix's parlance of "hated," "didn't like," "liked," "really liked," and "loved.") i like how i can see what i've seen from an actor or director at a glance of one page (less convenient after a redesign than it used to be), and having all of those ratings has the added advantage of getting me good predictions and suggestions for other titles on the discs side. i've thought about rerating everything on IMDB, but i'm stuck on how to rate on a 10-scale since netflix doesn't have halves and i can't remember necessarily just how much i dug (or didn't) a particular title, so i'd have to see it again before giving a proper rating.

if there's one thing i can count on netflix for it's degrading my user experience so it wouldn't surprise me if they did simplify or do away with their ratings suddenly without warning.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 09:51 PM

29. "They should just have emojis instead of stars"
In response to Reply # 28

for Loved, Liked, Meh, Didn't Like, Hated. Simplify it for the general public. Maybe add something in between liked/love, liked/meh.

But, to me, to complain that people were being too snooty struck me as funny because, as you noted, there's usually dumber reasons for movies getting bad scores or people just throw a five star on everything they like.

Or maybe have Recommend votes or something and then they can have more lists of highly recommended by users, biggest gainers, most recent votes, etc.

----

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 10:40 PM

30. "RE: They should just have emojis instead of stars"
In response to Reply # 29

>for Loved, Liked, Meh, Didn't Like, Hated. Simplify it for
>the general public. Maybe add something in between liked/love,
>liked/meh.

i could easily picture netflix going in a buzzfeed-inspired direction with emojis and wtf and lol ratings instead of 1-5.

>But, to me, to complain that people were being too snooty
>struck me as funny because, as you noted, there's usually
>dumber reasons for movies getting bad scores or people just
>throw a five star on everything they like.

the netflix rating system really went to hell IMO when streaming took off and especially when their originals started gathering momentum. on a visceral level it just bugs me to see a netflix original up for only a few hours already with 5 stars and for that rating hardly to dwindle in the months to follow. by that point it probably is self-fulfilling, as if begging customers to add on with another 5. again, it's testament to the ridiculous six that it isn't at least 4 stars (and is as low as 1 depending on your account), but that's probably as much due to sandler detractors as it is to the quality of the film or lack thereof.

>Or maybe have Recommend votes or something and then they can
>have more lists of highly recommended by users, biggest
>gainers, most recent votes, etc.

i don't know how objective it is, but i give them points for "trending now" especially as distinguished from "popular." if they still integrate facebook i'm sure that is or was a good resource for people, but i still remember the community feature on the original site, which was great. for them to remove it because supposedly only 2% of customers used it was the first time i understood their peculiar business plan of removing functionality and popular features for rather arbitrary reasons, which they've only ramped up in recent years.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:48 AM

32. "they definitely put their thumb on the scales for netflix stuff"
In response to Reply # 21

the worst i've seen for netflix originals is 3-star ratings for stuff that isn't in my wheelhouse.

howisya
39983 posts
Sat May-28-16 08:23 PM

33. "the netflix curve"
In response to Reply # 32

just came back to say the do-over has a 4 1/2 stars anticipated rating

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 08:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "Maybe the movie automatically plays after an episode of anything"
In response to Reply # 20

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 01:44 PM

41. "so hes U2"
In response to Reply # 26

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Jan-13-16 06:44 PM

31. "Semi-related: NBC reveals some Netflix ratings"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-13-16 06:44 PM by SoulHonky

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbc-exec-outs-netflix-ratings-855642

Data gathered from a sample of 15,000 users, by San Francisco tech firm Symphony, paints Jessica Jones as an especially strong player for the streamer. Based on audio recognition data, covering the months of September, October, November and December, a slide showed that an average 4.8 million viewers in the adults 18-49 group watched an episode of the Marvel drama. (The demographic, it should be noted, likely doesn't matter very much to Netflix on account of the absence of advertising.)

Following Jessica Jones was Master of None (3.9 million adults 18-49) and Narcos (3.2 million adults 18-49). And in Narcos' defense, the sample mentioned missed the first few days of the show's release. Speaking of outside the premiere window, Wurtzel also cited that Orange Is the New Black, which premiered back in June, was still averaging 644,000 adults 18-49 two months after its third season kicked off.
---

Would love to know how many people watched Sandler's film or if they even asked.

----

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Mon Jun-06-16 04:11 PM

34. "Its a good thing...."
In response to Reply # 0

There are a lot of movies where people would shy away from seeing in theatres that they would be more comfortable watching at home. as an example...

some white folks may not be comfortable walking into a theater to see a movie about SLavery or Black Panthers...

but they may be cool with seeing it on Netflix...

I think more studios should look into doing what netflix does.

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Jun-08-16 08:20 PM

36. "I can see that."
In response to Reply # 34

If one has a Netflix account, it's not a financial risk to sit and watch a flick that they would normally shun if it were in a theater. Easier to take viewing risks when the movie is on a service that allows you to watch all kinds of movies unlimited for a low price each month.

Since 1976

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sat Jun-11-16 12:23 AM

38. "This is true..."
In response to Reply # 34

Sandler has to be that for most at this point
Like who is running to a sandler flick in theatres at this point?

I'm generally skipping for the most part period
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Laz aka Black Native
Member since Mar 18th 2009
5462 posts
Wed Jun-08-16 09:40 PM

37. "I was actually surprised that I liked Do-Over "
In response to Reply # 0

Furious Styles: https://blacknative.bandcamp.com/album/furious-styles

Black Confederate on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/black-confederate-single/id940282326

Video to Black Confederate: http://youtu.be/jbpAQ4qzkqY

PSN: WakandanKing
Follow

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 01:54 PM

39. "surprisingly, it's probably Sandler's best movie in years."
In response to Reply # 0

I laughed a lot watching it. shocked the hell out of me, lol.

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 10:57 AM

40. "four more jeers"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/03/26/netflix-re-ups-with-adam-sandler-plan-4-more-films-together.html

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #686561 Previous topic | Next topic