Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #682324

Subject: "Utopia is Back. Series 2" Previous topic | Next topic
madwriter
Charter member
12234 posts
Tue Jul-15-14 10:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Utopia is Back. Series 2"

And an episode set at the start of Project #### in the 70s. So no updates on the surviving group. well shot as usual and very moody. you get to see how certain characters became the way they are.
--------
<--------- my cousin
www.richardlouissaint.com
photobloggin' it:
http://blog.richardlouissaint.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Review Episode 1
Jul 15th 2014
Excellent review...
Jul 18th 2014
Damn... can't believe I didn't realize what this was.
Jul 18th 2014
Episode 2
Jul 19th 2014
Sooooooo...
Aug 29th 2014
Catching up, up to ep 4
Sep 30th 2014
dang LOL
Sep 30th 2014
      ?
Oct 03rd 2014
           big gap that's all. it ended a while ago.
Oct 04th 2014
                computer broke down mid summer
Oct 04th 2014
another crazy season
Oct 02nd 2014
one word on the fuckedness of this show
Oct 03rd 2014

madwriter
Charter member
12234 posts
Tue Jul-15-14 10:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Review Episode 1"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/utopia/31273/utopia-series-2-episode-1-review

Utopia’s series 2 opener is a surprising, bold, strikingly handsome hour of television. Here’s Louisa’s review…

This review contains spoilers. Our spoiler-free review is here.

“We’ve got a very odd first episode,” Utopia creator Dennis Kelly said last year about series two, “people are either going to really like it or really say ‘what the fuck did you do that for?’”.

You won’t hear that last question from us, not only because there’s a rude word in it, but also because the opening episode is superb and Kelly’s reasons for going back in time couldn’t be clearer. Documenting the beginnings of ####, establishing the brutal scope of The Network’s power, and fattening up the emotional lives of Jessica, Arby and Milner gives Utopia series two an unshakeable foundation. Kelly’s “very odd first episode”, it turns out, is nothing short of a masterstroke.

Not one without its risks, it should be said. Kelly wasn’t wrong to be apprehensive about the audience reaction. It doesn’t get much bolder than welcoming loyal viewers back to a new setting, new timeframe, new aspect ratio even, and none of the original cast. Luckily for Kelly, Utopia attracts the kind of deserved devotion that trusts its creative team to deliver striking, ingenious drama, which is just what they’ve done. Again.

Rose Leslie (Game Of Thrones, Downton Abbey) and Tom Burke (The Musketeers, Great Expectations) are so good in episode one that it’s a crying shame it’s the last we’ll see of them. Now we know Carvel and Milner, and understand ####’ altruistic origin, everything that follows means more. Arby and Jessica’s uncomfortable origin stories not only fill in narrative gaps, but also lend emotional heft to the new series, and retroactively, to the first.

Of all that series one had going for it, character depth and pathos were never its strong suit. Alongside its retcon gags on Thatcher’s ascent to power and incorporation of real news events, this visit to the 1970s gave Utopia what series one was missing: heart.

And focus. Utopia is now much clearer about its message and more confident in its identity. Word has it that Kelly was given the ‘conspiracy hidden in a graphic novel’ premise to work into something of his own making for series one. The result was a blackly comic thriller that had our attention - Marc Munden’s direction and Jane Levick’s design made sure of that - but didn’t quite know where to point it.

Now that the comic book manuscript has faded into the background, Utopia knows exactly what it is: a blackly comic thriller wrapped around a philosophical debate about utilitarianism. With bonus torture, dismembered rabbits and exploding heads.

Episode two, which welcomes back the old gang tomorrow night, bounds off the handsome springboard provided by this superbly shot opener. It returns feeling revived, energetic, and ready to make its audience squirm. I hope we’re all prepared.

Read more about Utopia on Den Of Geek, here.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/utopia/31273/utopia-series-2-episode-1-review#ixzz37bGrtAgR
--------
<--------- my cousin
photobloggin' it:

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Fri Jul-18-14 06:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Excellent review..."
In response to Reply # 1

Episode 2.1 was actually perfect in putting everything in to place and has given me a completely new perspective to the show. I felt so sad about what the dude did to his son (Pietri, and that poor frickin rabbit), and I thought young Milner was excellent. By far, the best episode of the entire show I'd say.

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Jul-18-14 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Damn... can't believe I didn't realize what this was."
In response to Reply # 0

Had to hit wikipedia then was like OH YEAH!!

Also on the wiki it seems like HBO is doing an adaptation. Not sure how I feel about that. Fincher's attached which is supposed to automatically mean a good thing. *shrug*

I'm all in on this though, may wait for a few episodes to drop first.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

madwriter
Charter member
12234 posts
Sat Jul-19-14 08:32 AM

4. "Episode 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Jessica Hyde is basically Macguyver LOL
i'm mad Robin Thicke is somehow still alive and that Wilson is really going with this. I hope he is trying to infiltrate but his past actions and thoughts say otherwise.

It's weird that now you want to route for a disturbed antagonist like Arby but that flashback episode explains so much about him now.
--------
<--------- my cousin
photobloggin' it:

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Aug-29-14 09:25 AM

5. "Sooooooo..."
In response to Reply # 0

I can't stand this 6 episode season shit.

That said I think a lot happened this season, and I dug the majority of it. Felt like they got bloodier this time around which I don't know if that was necessary. But the way the etched out the scope of the project was really good. There were times I really liked Jessica and others where she just seemed way too over the top though. Her brother was my favorite this season. he really stepped it up.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄â–â–ƒ
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 05:08 PM

6. "Catching up, up to ep 4 "
In response to Reply # 0

Loved the backstory in ep 1

Currently cracking up at Ian as cleaning staff going off on that employee bursting in on him
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

madwriter
Charter member
12234 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 10:11 PM

7. "dang LOL"
In response to Reply # 6

--------
<--------- my cousin
photobloggin' it:

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Oct-03-14 02:02 PM

9. "?"
In response to Reply # 7

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

madwriter
Charter member
12234 posts
Sat Oct-04-14 11:58 AM

11. "big gap that's all. it ended a while ago."
In response to Reply # 9

thought you had been watching it.

lfresh
92696 posts
Sat Oct-04-14 12:45 PM

12. "computer broke down mid summer"
In response to Reply # 11

which ended my plex connection
just got it back recently had a back log
went through that and finally got to this
~~~~
~~~~

LES
Member since Oct 17th 2006
4533 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 11:29 AM

8. "another crazy season"
In response to Reply # 0

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Oct-03-14 04:03 PM

10. "one word on the fuckedness of this show"
In response to Reply # 0

EBOLA!!

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄â–â–ƒ
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #682324 Previous topic | Next topic