Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #677223

Subject: "Amazon Instant gets (some) HBO programming" Previous topic | Next topic
Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 10:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Amazon Instant gets (some) HBO programming"

I feel like this is the first legitimate shot Amazon's taken at Netflix. No GoT for now, though. Still, I'd consider this at least a small win for Amazon.

http://recode.net/2014/04/23/amazon-makes-a-big-move-snags-older-hbo-shows/

You still can’t get new HBO shows, like this season’s “Game of Thrones,” without paying for TV.

But starting in May, you’ll be able to get some of the premium cable channel’s older stuff online — via an Amazon Prime subscription.

That means Amazon Prime subscribers will be able to see shows that have already run on HBO, like The Sopranos and The Wire. And they can also watch older seasons of some shows that are still on the air, like Girls, three years after they air.

It’s the first time HBO has offered access to its catalog via a streaming video service that’s not its own HBO Go. And it gives Amazon an important bragging right/differentiation point as it tries to gain ground on rival Netflix.

A person familiar with the deal says HBO did not shop the catalog to Netflix or other potential Amazon rivals.

Unlike HBO subscribers who use HBO Go, Amazon customers won’t be able to get all of HBO’s library. The omissions tell an interesting story about the state of digital licensing.

Some of the shows that Amazon customers won’t see, including “Sex and the City,” “Entourage” and “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” have their streaming rights tied up in syndication deals with TV outlets. And HBO has kept at least one of its shows – “Game of Thrones” — out of the deal, simply because the property is so valuable to the network, according to a person familiar with the transaction.

The absence of “Game of Thrones” also speaks to the balancing act HBO is trying to pull off here. It wants to make more money from shows it has already sold to its paying subscribers, without giving those subscribers any reason to leave.

That’s not entirely new territory for HBO, which already sells digital versions of its older shows — including Game of Thrones — via outlets like Amazon and Apple’s iTunes store.

It also wants to assure the pay-TV operators that carry HBO that it’s not undercutting the offering it is wholesaling to them. A person close to HBO says the money the network makes from its Amazon deal will be plowed back into developing more programming and improving the company’s technology.

The upside for Amazon in this deal is clear — it gets a big, shiny brand it can use to set itself apart from the competition. It could also work well for HBO, and may even help the company market itself to non-subscribers.

The danger for HBO is that it may teach non-subscribers — and perhaps some current subscribers — that they don’t need to pay for an HBO subscription (and perhaps, a TV subscription at all) if they’re willing to be patient.

Either HBO figures that’s a risk it can take — or it’s a risk it has to take.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Dope.
Apr 23rd 2014
This made my day.
Apr 23rd 2014
RE: Amazon Instant gets (some) HBO programming
Apr 23rd 2014
Amazon needs to upgrade Prime's platform though
Apr 23rd 2014
The one they have for 360 is pretty bad
Apr 23rd 2014
Yeah. The Amazon App on my Vizio is shitty
Apr 24th 2014
HBO Go has by far the best interface
Apr 24th 2014
they hve a queue, but it's not on all devices
Apr 25th 2014
Link to the page here
Apr 23rd 2014
I'm definitely good on this though.
Apr 23rd 2014
I might finally watch Oz
Apr 23rd 2014
      Oz is Scared Straight for niggas.
Apr 24th 2014

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126185 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 10:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Dope."
In response to Reply # 0

i'm out.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 11:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "This made my day."
In response to Reply # 0

I can put my Wire DVDs away and just click ahead. I love it!. Plus I can finally watch Treme.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 12:40 PM

3. "RE: Amazon Instant gets (some) HBO programming"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-23-14 12:42 PM by nipsey

Actually, I think it's more HBO's shot at Netflix than Amazon. It's not like Amazon offered anything to HBO that Netflix would not have. Netflix fashions itself a competitor to HBO. Right or wrong, that's how they are positioning themselves. HBO is trying to hurt Netflix by going to Netflix's competitor.

EDIT: It's like a woman trying to make a guy jealous by hooking up with another dude who isn't quite as attractive or popular. The other dude didn't really do anything differently than the first dude. He just benefited from a woman who's trying to make a statement to the first dude.

>I feel like this is the first legitimate shot Amazon's taken
>at Netflix. No GoT for now, though. Still, I'd consider this
>at least a small win for Amazon.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 12:44 PM

4. "Amazon needs to upgrade Prime's platform though"
In response to Reply # 0

The app on my TV is pretty shitty. They need to add a Netflix-like queue and, most likely, make it more of a standalone site than simply an extension of Amazon.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 02:00 PM

7. "The one they have for 360 is pretty bad"
In response to Reply # 4

It's not really intuitive at all.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126185 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 08:24 AM

10. "Yeah. The Amazon App on my Vizio is shitty"
In response to Reply # 4

It only starts in a sidebar and it doesn't even sync up my watch list. I have to search for whatever show I want to watch.

The one on my Kindle is decent but the design is confusing.

i'm out.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 11:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "HBO Go has by far the best interface"
In response to Reply # 4

They need to use that as a template

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Apr-25-14 02:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "they hve a queue, but it's not on all devices"
In response to Reply # 4

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 12:59 PM

5. "Link to the page here"
In response to Reply # 0

Notable missing older shows: Larry Sanders Show, Arli$, 1st and 10, Not Necessarily The News, The Hitchhiker,Fraggle Rock, Kids IN The Hall, Dream On, Mr Show, Taxicab Confessions, Tracey Takes On, Tenacious D, K Street, D Ali G Show, Entourage

http://www.amazon.com/HBO-Providers/b/ref=amb_link_411517782_3?ie=UTF8&node=293883011

Boardwalk Empire
Bored to Death
Eastbound & Down
Enlightened
Treme
True Blood
Band of Brothers
Big Love
Carnivŕle
Deadwood
Flight of the Conchords
In Treatment
Mildred Pierce
Oz
The Pacific
Rome
Six Feet Under
The Sopranos
The Wire

John Adams
Generation Kill
John From Cincinnati

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 01:08 PM

6. "I'm definitely good on this though."
In response to Reply # 5

I got a lot to catch up on, and I see Carnivale on there too, nice.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 02:01 PM

8. "I might finally watch Oz"
In response to Reply # 5

And I'm glad they've got Big Love on there, that was a really underrated show.

------

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 07:03 AM

9. "Oz is Scared Straight for niggas."
In response to Reply # 8

That show reminds me why not to commit crimes.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #677223 Previous topic | Next topic