Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #671865

Subject: "What Would U Say Is Philip Seymour Hoffman's Greatest Performance/Movie?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Feb-03-14 07:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What Would U Say Is Philip Seymour Hoffman's Greatest Performance/Movie?"

I'm torn between Scottie, Father Flynn, Truman Capote or Lancaster Dodd with shout-outs to the way he made smaller/less-weighty material into tour-de-force/unforgettable-turns such as Scent Of A Woman, Big Lebowski, Along Came Polly and even Art Howe in Moneyball (which I was sure he couldn't pull off when I first heard it, still don't love that movie though).

As far as best overall film, I'm a big fan of The Master, he/Joaquin/PTA are all at the peak of their powers on that one.

But Boogie Nights and even 25th Hour are probably more re-watchable for rainy-day entertainment.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm a big fan of his role in Talented Mr. Ripley
Feb 03rd 2014
you know that's the one major movie of his that I don't think I saw
Feb 03rd 2014
      He out acts both of the leads by miles and in the process
Feb 04th 2014
           yeah, I gotta admit that his passing sorta let me know how little I knew
Feb 04th 2014
           what imcvspl said
Feb 05th 2014
           oh stop. damon's fucking great in that. his best performance imo.
Feb 08th 2014
Along Came Polly
Feb 03rd 2014
LOL, I saw that in the theater, he was the only good thing in it
Feb 04th 2014
Here's the only scene in it that was any good. Of course, Hoffman made i...
Feb 05th 2014
RAIN DANCE
Feb 05th 2014
I think that was the moment I realized he was special
Feb 07th 2014
Best role is damn near impossible.
Feb 03rd 2014
yeah, after I made this post the fact that I didn't list Almost Famous
Feb 03rd 2014
Right. I could narrow it to his five best moments. In no order:
Feb 04th 2014
      yup... definitely my favorite scene of his.
Feb 04th 2014
      Can't find the full scene, but here's the start of it:
Feb 05th 2014
      how he stares at Tom when Tom is putting PSH head
Feb 05th 2014
Performance: Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Movie: 25th Hour
Feb 04th 2014
I'm trying to remember that movie & all that keeps coming to mind
Feb 04th 2014
RE: I'm trying to remember that movie & all that keeps coming to mind
Feb 04th 2014
His scenes w/ Hawke are top notch
Feb 06th 2014
he convinces you that he really could pull Marisa
Feb 05th 2014
      tru too
Feb 06th 2014
'Is your pussy wet???'
Feb 04th 2014
^^^
Feb 04th 2014
"imma fuck you. imma fuck you hard"
Feb 05th 2014
"you think you're something but you're nothing"
Feb 07th 2014
Was there anything that he wasn't great in?
Feb 04th 2014
^ Where I'm at with it
Feb 05th 2014
no, at least that I can recall, I don't expect to land on a consensus
Feb 05th 2014
Exactly why the loss hits so hard
Feb 05th 2014
Charlie Wilson's War
Feb 05th 2014
^
Feb 08th 2014
A Late Quartet was a nice little slept on flick.
Feb 07th 2014
my fave role of his was in Magnolia.
Feb 07th 2014
SHUT THE FUCK UP! SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT
Feb 07th 2014
"Now! Are you threatening me dick?!?"
Feb 08th 2014
his 5 best performances imo
Feb 16th 2014
State & Main might be his most underrated
Feb 16th 2014
synecodoche is one of my all time favorites.
Feb 16th 2014
If I had to pick one it's The Master, but Doubt is an acting clinic.
Feb 16th 2014

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Feb-03-14 09:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm a big fan of his role in Talented Mr. Ripley"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Feb-03-14 11:56 PM

5. "you know that's the one major movie of his that I don't think I saw"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm not even sure why but I think it had something to do with me suffering from some sort of Damon exhaustion by that 99/00 for a stretch (with the overpraised Private Ryan then Dogma & Bagger Vance somewhere in there too).

But I later have come to hear from people I trust it's one of his best and that Hoffman's great in it so I'm just hoping to catch it on cable one of these days.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 12:56 AM

7. "He out acts both of the leads by miles and in the process"
In response to Reply # 5

manages to make their characters convincing. All the while hiding behind the oh you know I'm just another actor they needed to make this movie innocence.

It's been weird coming to terms with his passing because there was an honesty about him and his acting which I'm coming to understand was from a real place (in the best ones isn't it always) which makes the voyeuristic nature of my relationshipt o his work... not so easy.

I also happened to sit near him recently during a screening of Nosfaratu. There's no real story there, I didn't feel lie he was approachable and really wouldn't have had anything to say. But you know how you watch a movie and you have a feel for a character that you know that if they were real and in the room with you you'd recognize that feel as them. He had that. Like carrying the weight of his characters on his shoulders, come to find out it was likely the weight of his own demons.

*sigh*

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 02:00 AM

8. "yeah, I gotta admit that his passing sorta let me know how little I knew"
In response to Reply # 7

about his actual life. I knew he had kids, or at least that sounds vaguely familiar, however I really didn't have any idea he was wrestling with all these pathos in his personal life although seldom can an actor this good traveling in the emotional terrain he did not be channelling that power from someplace.

However for the most part, more than any other major acting figure I can think of from the past 20 years or so, he was just a consummate 'actor' to me who could disappear into whatever role I was watching him in most of the time.

Even the great, non-Hollywood types like Joaquin Phoenix or Daniel Day-Lewis, I can still on some level *feel* them acting and can see their process while Hoffman to me that never really occurred to even look for because it just felt so natural.

I'm hoping that doesn't change now that he's passed but at the same time like you I sorta do feel a bit more obligated to look into it and learn a bit about him, hope that doesn't spoil it for me which sounds selfish but I also get the feeling that a dude this good at his craft who I didn't know personally would very much prefer to be principally remembered for that rather than the other stuff.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 03:10 PM

26. "what imcvspl said"
In response to Reply # 7

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 03:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
36. "oh stop. damon's fucking great in that. his best performance imo."
In response to Reply # 7

as good as PSH was -- "tommy... how's the peeping? tommytommytommytommytommy" -- i can't agree that he out acted matt "by miles"

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Mon Feb-03-14 09:29 PM

2. "Along Came Polly "
In response to Reply # 0

haha, he was the best part of that movie tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbDcnUH6rOc

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 12:06 AM

6. "LOL, I saw that in the theater, he was the only good thing in it"
In response to Reply # 2

strike that-he and Alec "Good Things" Baldwin as the boss of course, who killed that infamous men's room scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHApjKcZAgI

But yeah, Hoffman as Sandy was hilarious, the basketball scene was great too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZCJUIkvvxU

That movie felt like a weak Farrelly Brothers imitation & I could have cared less about anything between Stiller and Aniston but those two cleaned up in that flick and saved it, making it the kind of movie if you see part of it on TNT when they're in it you're at least staying through until the next commercial break.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 02:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "Here's the only scene in it that was any good. Of course, Hoffman made i..."
In response to Reply # 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbDcnUH6rOc

But yeah, that movie was a waste of time. Figures that I saw it in the theater was a chick who was also a waste of time. Always had the worst taste in films. Went out with her for far too longs, and maybe saw two movies that were worth anything.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 03:04 PM

22. "RAIN DANCE"
In response to Reply # 2

damn that performance was fucn classic

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Fri Feb-07-14 08:35 AM

30. "I think that was the moment I realized he was special "
In response to Reply # 2

at the time I had only known him for his serious roles in Punch Drunk Love, COld Mountain, Patch Adams and other dramas (hadn't seen Lebowski just yet)

but ALong Came Polly showed that dude had RANGE. There's very few actors who transcend genres like he did.

what a loss, man

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43745 posts
Mon Feb-03-14 10:12 PM

3. "Best role is damn near impossible."
In response to Reply # 0

But my personal favorite movie is Boogie Nights or Almost Famous. For a more major, starring role type of thing...I think Owning Mahoney is a tour de force.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Feb-03-14 11:52 PM

4. "yeah, after I made this post the fact that I didn't list Almost Famous"
In response to Reply # 3

occurred to me & gave me that pang of 'WTF? How did you miss that?'.

It's probably a movie deemed sappy or even a bit saccharine by the tastemakers but as a lover of music who grew up actually knowing Cameron Crowe's story (which as a teenager was the greatest 'run away to join the circus' true story I'd ever heard or read up to that point) from hours spent reading music-journalism anthologies in my room during long stints of being grounded or at school during Saturday detentions/in-school suspensions, that movie spoke to me and easily allowed me to overcome its sentimentality.

Mostly because at the bottom of it all while Crowe isn't really going to go down as a great auteur or directing giant.......fuck it, he's a kid who was writing for Rolling Stone on 'Houses of the Holy' tour at 14 while the other kids were stuck in school, then later on went onto direct movies like I once dreamed of doing plus wifed the hot sister from Heart.

So at the end of it all this tribute to the magical powers instilled by really fucking loving music felt honest and true to Crowe's own life which is why he made the damn movie.

And for someone like yours truly who by that point had not only studied Lester Bangs' collected work in this anthology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychotic_Reactions_and_Carburetor_Dung:_The_Work_of_a_Legendary_Critic:_Rock_%27n%27_Roll_as_Literature_and_Literature_as_Rock_%27n%27_Roll but who also actually happened to be enough of a music-critic geek to actually read this biography of a rock critic here http://www.amazon.com/Let-Blurt-Lester-Americas-Greatest/dp/0767905091/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391488827&sr=1-1&keywords=let+it+blurt the role of Lester Bangs was not a minor undertaking.

Hoffman nailed it & added his own thing as well, all reportedly in the throes of being completely sick with the flu and in only three days of shooting.

That's some Stevie-Nicks-in-the-studio-recording-her-full-vocal-for-Dreams-on-one-take-while-covered-in-blankets-underneath-a-humidifier-in-the-corner-to-keep-her-from-shivering-and-sneezing level of making-of-film/music-nerd shit right there.

He steals every scene he's in even if just sitting by himself on the other end of a phone, none more so than this one which probably belongs in his all-time canon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzY2pWrXB_0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 02:08 AM

9. "Right. I could narrow it to his five best moments. In no order:"
In response to Reply # 3

- entrance in Charlie Wilson's War
- finale in Synecdoche, New York
- late night phone conversation about being uncool in Almost Famous
- the first processing in The Master
- "I'm gonna find her, I'm gonna hurt her" in Mission: Impossible 3.

And even then, I'm leaving out classics like Scotty in the car in Boogie Nights, Dean yelling shut up on the phone in Punch Drunk Love, the dolly shot in 25th Hour...

... I've heard his upcoming A Most Wanted Man is among his finest as well.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

dula dibiasi
21925 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 02:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "yup... definitely my favorite scene of his."
In response to Reply # 9

>- "I'm gonna find her, I'm gonna hurt her" in Mission:
>Impossible 3.

"what i did to your little friend was... fun. it was fun."

he absolutely killed that.

i tried to find that full scene on youtube a few yrs ago w/ no success. the search terms were still in my autofill when i looked for it again yesterday. also w/ no success.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 12:22 AM

17. "Can't find the full scene, but here's the start of it:"
In response to Reply # 11

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/mission-impossible-iii-clip-cargo-plane/50k2k90

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 03:07 PM

24. "how he stares at Tom when Tom is putting PSH head"
In response to Reply # 9

near the engine, builds that moment so well

the way PSH held his body and head, the way he used his frame (especially in the fight scene of MI:III) is a BIG part of what made him so great. he didn't focus all his energy on lines and facial expressions

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 10:40 AM

10. "Performance: Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Movie: 25th Hour"
In response to Reply # 0

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 05:18 PM

12. "I'm trying to remember that movie & all that keeps coming to mind"
In response to Reply # 10

is the beginning with his bare ass in the shot pumping away on Marisa Tomei.

I vaguely remember something else about family dysfunction but then again that could be Savages.

rdhull
Charter member
33138 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 05:50 PM

13. "RE: I'm trying to remember that movie & all that keeps coming to mind"
In response to Reply # 12

>is the beginning with his bare ass in the shot pumping away
>on Marisa Tomei.
>

yes..Richard Roepers review began with this statement : "It begins with a bang..."

>I vaguely remember something else about family dysfunction but
>then again that could be Savages.

That flickalso had dysfunction as its hallmark

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Feb-06-14 02:52 PM

28. "His scenes w/ Hawke are top notch "
In response to Reply # 12

Really sells the big brother steez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4di7-6b7eY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZtlkGEwfSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a55PnIKoz0

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 03:11 PM

27. "he convinces you that he really could pull Marisa "
In response to Reply # 10

make her his wife (and failed her) in that movie

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Feb-06-14 02:54 PM

29. "tru too"
In response to Reply # 27

>make her his wife (and failed her) in that movie

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 07:56 PM

14. "'Is your pussy wet???'"
In response to Reply # 0

(c) Happiness

not his greatest necessarily but i love that line.

fuck you.

ODotSoHot
Member since Apr 02nd 2013
1171 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 11:34 PM

16. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 14

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 03:03 PM

21. ""imma fuck you. imma fuck you hard""

ohh man that scene kills me every time

Fructose Soda
Member since Feb 19th 2012
2150 posts
Fri Feb-07-14 01:22 PM

32. ""you think you're something but you're nothing""

I love that film and his character.
My 2nd fave role of his.

silentnoah
Member since Apr 03rd 2005
3197 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 09:41 PM

15. "Was there anything that he wasn't great in?"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't think of anything, what a tragic loss of talent.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 02:58 AM

19. "^ Where I'm at with it"
In response to Reply # 15

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2-28? SLAVERY.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 01:05 PM

20. "no, at least that I can recall, I don't expect to land on a consensus"

It's just an excuse to name performances or flicks of his you enjoyed in particular.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 03:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Exactly why the loss hits so hard "

I don't know if I can think of another actor who melded into characters as well as
PSH...with every single role, he was good, if not great. He just made it look effortless, like every role he played was made for him...what a talent.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 03:09 PM

25. "Charlie Wilson's War"
In response to Reply # 0

when he SONS Rodger Sterling in his office, that shit was magnetic

also the scene between him and Jaoquin in The Master when they're in the jail cells next to each other... HOLY SHIT

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 04:02 PM

37. "^"
In response to Reply # 25

grassrootsphilosopher

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Feb-07-14 10:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
31. "A Late Quartet was a nice little slept on flick."
In response to Reply # 0

Top notch acting in that one. Caught it on netflix a few months ago.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Fructose Soda
2150 posts
Fri Feb-07-14 01:28 PM

33. "my fave role of his was in Magnolia."
In response to Reply # 0

2. Happiness.
3. The Master.
4. PunchDrunk Love ( I could watch that scene with him yelling on the phone at Adam Sandler everyday).
5. Before The Devil Knows Your Dead.
6. The Savages.
7. Doubt.

astralblak
20029 posts
Fri Feb-07-14 09:37 PM

34. "SHUT THE FUCK UP! SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT"
In response to Reply # 0

SHUT THE FUCK UP... Now...

(next scene)

"Now Fuck off pervert!"
"I warned you!"
"That's That."

ohh man such a classic sequence of events

PSH was in 3 damn scenes three. Also Sandler channeled some other ass shit for that role. It's him, but all emotionally warped on some serious psychological shit and not just for shits and giggles

Fructose Soda
2150 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 08:41 AM

35. ""Now! Are you threatening me dick?!?""
In response to Reply # 34

lol
My favorite scene from that film.
Theres also an extra of the Mattress Man's commercial. It wasn't put in the movie tho.

"Alrigt! THATS THAT!"

dula dibiasi
21925 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 11:47 AM

38. "his 5 best performances imo"
In response to Reply # 0

in order

before the devil knows you're dead
the master
capote
owning mahowny
magnolia

no real wrong answers to this question tho. you could pick any 5 of his roles at random and have a damn fine list.

what a talent. really wish i could've seen his willy loman, i've heard it was transcendent.

___

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 12:38 PM

39. "State & Main might be his most underrated "
In response to Reply # 0

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 01:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
40. "synecodoche is one of my all time favorites. "
In response to Reply # 0

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 06:27 PM

41. "If I had to pick one it's The Master, but Doubt is an acting clinic."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-16-14 06:27 PM by pretentious username

from everyone involved. It's a shame that didn't win any Oscars.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #671865 Previous topic | Next topic