Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #667788

Subject: "Universal [TEMPORARILY] Shuts Down 'Fast & Furious 7' Production (Swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
dotcomse
Member since Nov 09th 2005
719 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 11:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Universal [TEMPORARILY] Shuts Down 'Fast & Furious 7' Production (Swipe)"
Wed Dec-04-13 11:59 PM by dotcomse

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/universal-shuts-fast-furious-production-21098287

Universal Shuts Down 'Fast & Furious 7' Production
NEW YORK December 4, 2013 (AP)
By JAKE COYLE and JUSTIN PRITCHARD Associated Press

Universal Pictures has shut down production on "Fast & Furious 7" indefinitely following the death of its star, Paul Walker.

The studio announced Wednesday that the film will shut down "for a period of time so we can assess all options available to move forward with the franchise."

The seventh installment of the street car racing series had begun shooting in September. While much of "Fast & Furious 7" has been filmed, it's far from complete.

When Walker died in a fiery car crash Saturday north of Los Angeles, the film was on break for the Thanksgiving holiday. Shooting had been planned to resume Monday in Atlanta, but production was put on hold following Walker's death.

Universal had been trying to fast-track "Fast & Furious 7" for a July 11 release, a date that's likely to be postponed. Universal hasn't yet announced any release date change.

"Right now, all of us at Universal are dedicated to providing support to Paul's immediate family and our extended 'Fast & Furious' family of cast, crew and filmmakers," the studio said in a statement.

Walker was killed by injuries from both the impact and subsequent fire when the high-powered Porsche driven by his friend crashed, according to autopsy results released Wednesday.

The actor died from the "combined effects of traumatic and thermal injuries," according to the autopsy released by the Los Angeles County coroner's office.

At the wheel was Roger Rodas, Walker's friend, financial adviser and co-owner of a professional racing team. The two died when Rodas' 2005 Porsche Carrera GT smashed into a light pole and tree, then exploded in flames.

Sheriff's investigators were still trying to determine what caused Rodas to careen out of control. They have said speed was a factor in the one-car crash about 30 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

Rodas was killed by the impact alone, the doctor who performed the autopsy concluded. Results of toxicology testing for drugs or alcohol will take another six to eight weeks.

The limited-edition Porsche was previously owned by IndyCar driver Graham Rahal, who has said it was difficult to drive. It is not just fast — it can hit 100 mph in less than 7 seconds — but also unforgiving in its handling.

Walker starred in all but one installment of the "Fast & Furious" franchise, which has been particularly lucrative for Universal. "Fast & Furious 6," released in May, was the highest grossing film in the series, earning more than $788 million worldwide.

Universal announced Tuesday that it will donate a portion of the proceeds from the upcoming DVD, Blu-ray and digital release of "Fast & Furious 6" to Walker's charity Reach Out Worldwide.

Walker, 40, founded Reach Out Worldwide in 2010 to give first-response aid to victims of natural disasters. Walker was hosting a fundraiser for the nonprofit on Saturday afternoon before the crash.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So, how do they proceed?
Dec 04th 2013
Overall, they can easily continue the series.
Dec 05th 2013
They brought Lucas back before Paul died
Dec 05th 2013
      RE: They brought Lucas back before Paul died
Dec 05th 2013
either have Brian go out in a sacriifcial way
Dec 05th 2013
      I like the "loss of anchor" idea
Dec 05th 2013
They could EASILY kill him off.
Dec 05th 2013
Statham should kill him off screen.
Dec 05th 2013
A very thoughtful take
Dec 06th 2013

Dec 06th 2013
I'm cool with a "retirement" angle, though I'm sure y'all won't be (swip...
Dec 11th 2013
Not my preference, but it could work if written well.
Dec 11th 2013
There is only one way to do this, IMO, based on the existing films...
Dec 12th 2013
It's official: they're retiring the character (swipe)
Jan 03rd 2014
so I will make this prediction:
Jan 06th 2014
      Which will be odd since he's supposed to be alive
Jan 06th 2014
      I hope you know what I mean
Jan 07th 2014
      I'm guessing that his son/daughter/brother will pop up.
Jan 07th 2014
      Not the boldest of predictions, gotta say
Jan 07th 2014

dotcomse
719 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 11:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "So, how do they proceed?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-04-13 11:59 PM by dotcomse

The reason I posted this article, even though it's pretty much a given, is to spur some discussion about what OKP thinks the right answer is. It's particularly problematic with principal photography said to be completed, but reshoots still needed.

I've given a lot of thought to this, cause I loved those movies, and Paul Walker just seemed to be the nicest guy in the world.

I'm not sure they can kill the character - it'd be too unsettling for audiences.

I'm not sure they can say he retired offscreen - it'd be a tough sell for a franchise built on the concept of "family" (This may be the easiest option, to CGI his face onto another actor to do 5 minutes at the beginning saying "I can't do this, here's why, sorry, see you later")

The studio is said not to be too high on finishing the movie as written with CGI face replacement.

I honestly feel bad for Jordana Brewster. I don't think they're gonna kill off Brian O'Connor, so what role would Mia Toretto play in his absence? She may have not only just lost a friend, but she may be the only cast member who is at this point not really fit to include in the movie anymore. Maybe they need to kill the Brian to instill some personal heat in the movie, and to keep Brewster for continuity. But her "acting" doesn't exactly make her indisposable.

It even strikes me as possible that Vin doesn't wanna do these anymore - that he worries, as a producer and a friend, that they glorify the behavior that killed his friend. He's still got Riddick, in theory he's still got xXx. These movies will continue to get made, but there might be WHOLESALE changes.

"To go out and ruin somebody's dreams like that, it feels real good," - Oregon WR Jaison Williams

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Dec-05-13 02:02 AM

2. "Overall, they can easily continue the series."
In response to Reply # 1

I liked Paul Walker but, let's be real, it's not like he was a huge draw. The new trilogy (7, 8, 9) seemed like they were going to be heading in a different direction anyway so shifting the focus to Vin, Michelle, the Rock, and maybe adding someone new (bring back Lucas Black?) shouldn't be too hard.

As for FF7, it's impossible to say what they should do. Reports were that Walker had to shoot key scenes in Atlanta this past week. Then again, Fast 6 had Walker's character break out of a jail off camera so it's not like there haven't been huge gaps in the story before.

I doubt they go for facial replacement. Honestly, this series is so bonkers, they could probably get away with just animating the missing sequences.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

dotcomse
719 posts
Thu Dec-05-13 02:59 AM

4. "They brought Lucas back before Paul died"
In response to Reply # 2

So, he'll be a piece of this franchise, in 7 and going forward. I hope not a huge piece, because his acting makes Paul look like Marlon Brando.

I wonder what they do with Kurt Russell. I heard he was brought in to play O'Connor's dad, which I can see from a visual standpoint. But I also heard he was brought in after Denzel Washington turned the character down, so I'm not too sure about that. Either way, without O'Connor, Russell might be forced to depart unless they make this about him avenging his son's death.

I hadn't thought about the animating idea. It sounds silly, but this franchise prints money, so I wouldn't be surprised by anything, frankly.

Also, I don't remember O'Connor breaking out of prison in 6 - I thought he went in voluntarily on a 24 hour hold in a podunk prison before the records would show he was a fugitive. Hard to believe, considering the drug lord he wanted to talk to inside shouldn't have been in a bum fuck prison that doesn't check police records when prisoners go inside, but that's another pothole for another day. Anyway, I thought he was released (didn't understand his cell door opening though... That whole sequence was a clusterfuck).

I can see them leaning harder on Vin, Michelle, Dwayne, and Statham... But Paul and Jordana gave SOME kind of human element. I'm getting old enough to appreciate SOME attempt at balance, rather than just a COMPLETELY brainless action movie (Even Die Hard had Mrs. Mclain). I hope they can preserve that and not just make these things totally impersonal (again, particularly when the franchise preaches the importance of "family")

"To go out and ruin somebody's dreams like that, it feels real good," - Oregon WR Jaison Williams

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Dec-05-13 11:08 AM

6. "RE: They brought Lucas back before Paul died"
In response to Reply # 4

>Also, I don't remember O'Connor breaking out of prison in 6 -
>I thought he went in voluntarily on a 24 hour hold in a podunk
>prison before the records would show he was a fugitive. Hard
>to believe, considering the drug lord he wanted to talk to
>inside shouldn't have been in a bum fuck prison that doesn't
>check police records when prisoners go inside, but that's
>another pothole for another day. Anyway, I thought he was
>released (didn't understand his cell door opening though...
>That whole sequence was a clusterfuck).

That podunk jail was supposed to be a maximum security prison. And it wasn't a 24 hour hold, he was brought in as a wanted fugitive. But yeah, the whole sequence was silly.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Thu Dec-05-13 02:23 AM

3. "either have Brian go out in a sacriifcial way"
In response to Reply # 1

or have Shaw-bro kill him to up the stakes in the story. and then keep it moving.

the crew dynamic will be a little weird in the next one because while Dom is the leader of the crew, Brian is the anchor that holds them all together. they could probably work that into the story tbh.

<--- Big Baller World Order

dotcomse
719 posts
Thu Dec-05-13 03:04 AM

5. "I like the "loss of anchor" idea"
In response to Reply # 3

Maybe have Dom struggle to keep the team together, or some kind of acknowledgement of Brian's role in the group.

I'm not sure they'll be able to kill his character. I'm pretty down about this death, but even though I think I could deal with his character dying, I just feel like it would mostly feel cheap, and be tough to market. But they may have no other option.

...I need to read more books.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Thu Dec-05-13 11:53 AM

7. "They could EASILY kill him off. "
In response to Reply # 0

Writing his death scene in the movie would give the story a sense of stakes. Also, if they're gonna keep these going, like a 007 so to speak, the idea that MAJOR characters CAN get got, and we'll just replace and/or move on isn't necesarrily a bad one...

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44861 posts
Thu Dec-05-13 12:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Statham should kill him off screen. "
In response to Reply # 0

It sucks because I was looking forward to a Statham/Brian fight. I know Vin’s got the muscle and everyone wants to see muscles fight, but I was among those who LOVED Brian’s prison scene in 6. He’s always given us some nice fight scenes, truth be told.

Honestly, killing him is the ONLY respectful way to send him off, because that allows the cast a proper goodbye, not to mention the audience. A funeral scene pays respect on and off screen IMO. This also serves the purpose of allowing them to address the issue of continuing a series centered around crazy ass driving in light of his death. Allow some screen time to address the mortality of everyone involved, with everyone questioning whether the rush is worthwhile, whether they want to be involved in any of this any longer. This means Mia bows out for good. Statham should live through the film, giving Roman, Dom & co. strong reason to continue the fight.

I think simply writing Brian out and ignoring Paul’s death is the wrong move. He was, by all accounts a great guy, a well liked and deeply loved humanitarian. So why ignore that? Why ignore the real life death of the actor who played perhaps the most beloved character (arguably neck and neck w/Dom) of one of the single greatest and most beloved action series EVER? I truly believe the respectful, reverent move is to kill his character and allow everyone to grieve the loss. There’s a clear emotional connection with him on and off screen with the cast AND his fans, and killing his character actually has a chance to add some serious weight and depth to the rest of this movie, if not the final two chapters. His death can and ideally should become something of a character in and of itself, taking the characters and the series in different directions.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

dotcomse
719 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 03:38 AM

9. "A very thoughtful take"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri Dec-06-13 03:40 AM by dotcomse

I hadn't really considered giving the franchise enough credit to be able to respectfully honor the memory of O'Connor/Walker. This franchise hasn't been able to do emotion very well. Honestly, the most emotional moment I can recall was Jesse getting shot by Johnny Tran in FF1.

I have a feeling that if this is the route they choose, they WILL do it right. They have no margin for error with this scenario. So maybe by choosing the most "dangerous" plot line (from an audience suspension-of-disbelief standpoint), they have the best option. Cross your fingers on the execution. I've seen some DUMB ideas, such as the following: http://i.imgur.com/FeeictR.jpg (Screenshot of a long plot idea)

If that's your thing, then I guess I can't knock it, but it feels hackneyed to me. They're gonna have to come up with some good scenes and the best acting the franchise has seen yet.

And with O'Connor gone, I see no reason why Mia can't play a continued, if limited, role in the films. It'd be silly though to just keep her as a background character, so she needs to play some kind of role within the team, somehow.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44861 posts
Fri Dec-06-13 11:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. ""
In response to Reply # 9
Fri Dec-06-13 11:19 AM by Cold Truth

She can still play a role in the series, but to *me* the best way to play her is to be the one begging everyone else to stand down, while Dom, Roman and the rest are lusting after blood. Hell… I can even see an arc for her in FF8 where she and Roman find some solace in each other. I don’t think Mia playing a supporting role makes sense, because then it’s business as usual. There's no consequences and there's no real change.

If not her, then Dom has to be the one. I think they need to impose that dynamic, and the logical choice is for Mia to take the role that feeds it. As a mother, she should want to keep her child as far away from this world as possible. She should want to be around as long as possible for her child, because one parent is already gone. So why would she want to continue this fight?

So, while I think Mia should bow out of the ‘fight’, so to speak, I think she definitely has a role to play. She’d be crucial to my concept, precisely *because* Brian’s gone… just not as an active part of the FF ‘team’. If they can find a way for her to participate that minimizes any danger to her in a big way, then I she can participate. Otherwise, I can’t see a good reason to keep her in the mix on that side of things. Whether or not this cast has the chops to pull off something with that sort of emotional depth is another story, but I don’t feel like I needs to be Oscar worthy to work within the universe

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Dec-11-13 10:25 AM

11. "I'm cool with a "retirement" angle, though I'm sure y'all won't be (swip..."
In response to Reply # 0

Either way, good luck, Chris Morgan...

hollywoodreporter.com:

>'Fast & Furious 7' Writer Working on Fitting Send-off for Paul Walker
5:00 AM PST 12/11/2013 by Kim Masters

Sources tell THR that Chris Morgan is now at work crafting revisions to the script that could make use of scenes that were shot before the actor’s death.

This story first appeared in the Dec. 20 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.

The fiery crash that took Paul Walker's life has plunged Universal Pictures into an unprecedented crisis. Executives are trying to find a way to salvage footage already shot for Fast & Furious 7 instead of starting fresh. But experts say that either way, this tragic twist could lead to the largest insurance claim in Hollywood history.

Sources say writer Chris Morgan now is at work crafting revisions to the script that Universal execs hope can retire Walker's character from the series using scenes already shot. If he succeeds, cast and crew could be called back to work by late January -- but that's a big if.

The morning following Walker's Nov. 30 death, top Universal execs held a conference call to mull the next steps. An insider stresses that the priority was supporting the shocked and bereaved family, cast and crew. NBCUniversal vice chairman Ron Meyer subsequently called all on that list to offer condolences.

Studio chairman Donna Langley -- in her first major leadership test since being promoted in September -- and production co-president Jeffrey Kirschenbaum, the lead exec on the Fast movies, were designated to run point on finding a creative solution for the franchise. According to a knowledgeable source, the studio already has poured about $150 million into the film, a bill that its insurance firm, Fireman's Fund, might have to pay in full if Universal concludes the picture must be started anew. Fireman's Fund declined comment, as did Universal.

The wreck of the Porsche Carrera GT creates a uniquely nightmarish scenario for Universal. In addition to losing the star of its most important live-action franchise -- a series about fast cars -- in a devastating crash, the accident occurred when the film was well underway but nowhere near completion. "Almost exactly half of his role was done," says one source. Another says Walker was scheduled for considerable work on the film the week following his death.

For newly named Universal filmed entertainment chairman Jeff Shell, who has very limited experience in movies, the disaster is a baptism by fire. An insider says Shell has taken "a 90,000-foot approach," leaving the business and creative issues to Langley and team. That includes Kirschenbaum, director James Wan, producer Neal Moritz and Morgan.

With the studio declaring force majeure -- an unforeseeable circumstance that prevents work from proceeding -- filming has been postponed indefinitely. Shutting down saves some money but creates a thicket of issues since cast and crew -- and their guilds -- have varying deals governing whether they can be kept on hold and for how long. SAG-AFTRA, for instance, requires the studio to pay half of actors' salaries during the suspension, but stars (as well as Wan and key crew) might have deals with other provisions. Those are among the business and legal challenges that fall to studio president Jimmy Horowitz.

Following the initial meeting, marketing co-president Michael Moses scrambled to alter the ad campaign for the Fast & Furious 6 DVD, which was set for release Dec. 10. Spots were changed to reflect the studio's plan to donate some proceeds to Walker's nonprofit Reach Out WorldWide and to include more iconic images from the series.

Insurance broker Brian Kingman of Gallagher Entertainment says Universal executives could determine that footage shot cannot be salvaged. The applicable standard is that the abandonment must be "reasonable, practical and necessary" -- should Universal conclude that's the case, the burden would be on Fireman's Fund to prove otherwise or pay the claim. "If I were the broker, I would (calculate) how many days had already been captured, how many were left," says Kingman. "I would look at the original arc of the story and get input from the director, the producers and the studio as to why, notwithstanding the financial impact, the story doesn't make sense to complete. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. The studio should not have to make a movie it doesn't want to make to accommodate an insurance company."

A Universal source says based on fan reaction, there is support for completing the version of the movie that was underway, even though it is said to contain several car crashes. "What will drive everything is, is there an honorable and sensible way to do this?" says the source, but "there's not really a road map" for the situation.

While a January restart is the goal, it is far from certain. Sources say the film's July 11 release has been scrapped (Fox moved its Dawn of the Planet of the Apes to that slot). But insiders are confident Universal will release a seventh Fast and probably an eighth. "I actually believe (the tragedy) will add to returns," says a rival studio exec. A Universal insider agrees: "Sadly, it will probably make people more interested."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Yo Soy Widdit

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Wed Dec-11-13 12:06 PM

12. "Not my preference, but it could work if written well."
In response to Reply # 11

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Thu Dec-12-13 11:38 AM

13. "There is only one way to do this, IMO, based on the existing films..."
In response to Reply # 0

If he's written out of the film through retirement or because of his child, that doesn't fit with the rest of the movies, b/c the characters are so invested in each other's lives, and there is a constant message of family prevalent, especially in Fast Five and Furious 6.

So, that means they'd have to kill him off, which they can't do in a car crash, since that is what really happened.

That leaves killing him off-screen, via gunshot or something, by the lead villain, simultaneously making him the most formidable opponent the group has faced yet.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Jan-03-14 05:11 PM

14. "It's official: they're retiring the character (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Good. Best possible option under the circumstances. Fuck death.

thehollywoodreporter.com:

>Universal to 'Retire' Paul Walker's 'Fast & Furious' Character
11:06 AM PST 1/3/2014 by Matthew Belloni

Director James Wan, writer Chris Morgan and the studio will tweak the script and add scenes so footage of the late actor's Brian O'Conner character can still be used -- but the franchise can continue.

Now that Universal has decided to move forward with Fast & Furious 7 despite the Nov. 30 car-crash death of Paul Walker, speculation has turned to how the film will deal with the demise of one of its key stars.

Sources tell THR that Walker's character, Brian O'Conner, will not be killed off in the film, now set for release April 10, 2015.

Instead, the plan is to "retire" the character in a way that the studio hopes will satisfy fans of the franchise and make use of the existing footage of Walker, who died about halfway through the Fast 7 shoot.

In the weeks after the tragedy, director James Wan, writer Chris Morgan and Jeffrey Kirschenbaum, Universal's lead executive on the Fast films, pored over the footage Wan had shot. The trio then devised a plan to tweak the existing script so that Walker would remain a part of the story but could be written out, allowing the franchise to continue without him.

The changes will require some additional scenes to be written and shot, but the eight-month delay of release provides plenty of time.

Universal declined comment.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone knows the best way to question one's blackness is to go on the Internet and insinuate about it

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Mon Jan-06-14 07:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "so I will make this prediction:"
In response to Reply # 14

In every sequel following Fast 7, Vin Diesel will have a sentimental monologue/line reminiscing about Brian. Just saying.

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Mon Jan-06-14 09:09 PM

16. "Which will be odd since he's supposed to be alive"
In response to Reply # 15

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Tue Jan-07-14 01:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "I hope you know what I mean"
In response to Reply # 16

I know it would be odd but they will try to get emo every chance they will get. And who better to do it than Diesel, who has a weird emo-esque scene in nearly everything he makes. The whole teary eyes, sad staring into sunset type of mush. You know that's coming.

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Tue Jan-07-14 09:52 AM

18. "I'm guessing that his son/daughter/brother will pop up."

---
Love,
Nopayne

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Jan-07-14 10:34 AM

19. "Not the boldest of predictions, gotta say"

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #667788 Previous topic | Next topic