Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #667631

Subject: "The 2013 Official Comprehensive Film Critics Awards Post" Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 03:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The 2013 Official Comprehensive Film Critics Awards Post"
Tue Dec-03-13 03:44 PM by ZooTown74

It's that time of year, so when the awards come in, this will be the place to post 'em up and discuss

Turns out that 2013 has turned out to be a very good year in film (particularly the last 5-6 months or so), which it appears will result in (at least early on) a grab-bag of winners without a real favorite or two to emerge, at least for a minute...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
2013 New York Film Critics Circle Awards
Dec 03rd 2013
2013 IFP Gotham Independent Film Awards
Dec 03rd 2013
I got two hours to hand in my ballot. nm
Dec 03rd 2013
You got some tough choices ahead of you, as do I
Dec 03rd 2013
      Word. I filling it out as we speak...
Dec 03rd 2013
      Fuck!!! I'm stuck between Captain Phillips, Frances Ha, and Prisoners
Dec 03rd 2013
           Fuck! I forgot about Mud!!!
Dec 03rd 2013
National Board of Review
Dec 04th 2013
*sighs*
Dec 04th 2013
      What's wrong there? That's a terrific list.
Dec 04th 2013
           I'm not gonna talk behind the scenes politics here.
Dec 04th 2013
                Well, you DID mention a name on here in a teasing fashion, lol.
Dec 04th 2013
                     Of course I knew
Dec 04th 2013
doh, Zoo beat me
Dec 04th 2013
Boston Society of Film Critics
Dec 08th 2013
Los Angeles Film Critics Association
Dec 08th 2013

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "2013 New York Film Critics Circle Awards"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-03-13 03:25 PM by ZooTown74

Even though it's a damn good movie, I'm not sure I agree with any of the American Hustle wins... otherwise (of the stuff I've seen), I'm not mad at any of the other choices...

deadline.com:

>New York Film Critics Circle Awards: ‘American Hustle’ Best Film; Robert Redford, Cate Blanchett Top Actor Honors

By THE DEADLINE TEAM | Tuesday December 3, 2013 @ 12:10pm PST

UPDATED WITH ALL WINNERS: The New York Film Critics Circle has voted David O Russell’s ensemble crime drama American Hustle as its film of the year, one of three awards bestowed today on the Sony/Columbia film by the critics group. The pic is set for a December 13 release. The NYFCC also picked Robert Redford as Best Actor for his stand-alone role in JC Chandor’s All Is Lost and Cate Blanchett as Best Actress for Woody Allen’s Blue Jasmine, while Steve McQueen was named Best Director for 12 Years A Slave.

American Hustle, which stars Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Jeremey Renner and Jennifer Lawrence, also won for Lawrence as Supporting Actress and for Russell and Eric Singer’s screenplay. Last year, the NYFCC tapped Zero Dark Thirty for Best Film and helmer Kathryn Bigelow for Best Director, starting that pic’s path to a Best Picture Oscar nomination.

The NYFCC is one of the earliest groups to vote on the year’s best performances in film, kicking off a slew of critics organizations whose results can serve as if not Oscar predictors then maybe Oscar leaners. Like last year, this year’s NYFCC vote from its membership of NY critics from daily and weekly newspapers, magazines and online publications comes one day before the National Board of Review makes its picks. Here are the final results of today’s voting:

Best Film
American Hustle

Best Actor
Robert Redford, All Is Lost

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

Best Director
Steve McQueen, 12 Years A Slave

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle

Best Foreign Language Film
Blue Is The Warmest Color

Best Supporting Actor
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Animated Film
The Wind Rises

Best Screenplay
American Hustle

Special Award
Frederick Wiseman

Best Cinematography
Bruno Delbonnel, Inside Llewyn Davis

Best First Film
Fruitvale Station

Best Non-fiction Film (Documentary)
Stories We Tell

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 03:40 PM

2. "2013 IFP Gotham Independent Film Awards"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-03-13 03:41 PM by ZooTown74

Gotham City... OH YEAHHHHHHHHHH! © Rubbert Kolly

deadline.com:

>2013 Gotham Awards: ‘Inside Llewyn Davis,’ ‘Fruitvale Station,’ ‘Short Term 12,’ ‘Dallas Buyers Club’; Lee Daniels Talks Racism: “I Became Very Angry At White People”

By JEN YAMATO | Monday December 2, 2013 @ 7:10pm PST

The Coen brothers‘ Inside Llewyn Davis won Best Feature tonight at the fourth annual IFP Gotham Independent Film Awards but lost some of the spotlight to presenter Lee Daniels, who made some eyebrow-raising remarks. Kicking off awards season in NYC, the trophy show propelled the CBS period folk music drama and Fruitvale Station, Dallas Buyers Club, and docu The Act of Killing toward the Oscars. The raucous audience at Cipriani Wall Street chattered so loudly during Daniels’ tribute speech his The Butler star Forest Whitaker that he tried to shush them with a few f-bombs. Gotham Awards 2013“Forest would like to hear all you talking through my speech, so shut the f*ck up,” admonished Daniels. He wasn’t the only presenter to complain onstage about the Gothams crowd, as Julie Delpy threatened to set herself on fire to get their attention while presenting another tribute, to Before Midnight helmer Richard Linklater.

Big wins went to Fruitvale Station, which nabbed Best Breakthrough Director and Actor for Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan, respectively. Dallas Buyers Club star and Oscar hopeful Matthew McConaughey won the Gothams’ inaugural Best Actor award and accepted via iPhone through co-star Jared Leto with his signature “All right, all right, all right.” Short Term 12‘s Brie Larson nabbed Best Actress honors, boosting the SXSW winner’s awards profile. Presenting Best Documentary, Morgan Spurlock took a shot at public television (“PBS: We pay more money than IFC”) before presenting the Gotham to Joshua Oppenheimer’s Oscar hopeful The Act of Killing.

Host Nick Kroll (Kroll Show, The League) struggled with the ambivalent room early on with a roast of the indie scene: “To the people from L.A. or abroad, I hope you’re enjoying your tiny hotel room you had to pay for out of pocket because Magnolia or IFC wouldn’t pony up.” Riffing on the night’s nominees, he quipped, “A common theme in this year’s movies are the horrors we inflict upon one another – slavery, war, folk music… .” Unfortunately for Kroll, he was upstaged by New York Mayor Bloomberg. “Independent filmmakers and New York have a lot in common… We both want Harvey Weinstein to be nice to us.” Boosting local filmmaking versus runaway production to neighboring Canada while presenting the tribute to his Media and Entertainment Commissioner Katherine Oliver, Bloomberg joked, “For the record: the mayor of Toronto and the mayor of New York do not have a lot in common.”

Elsewhere during the night, Steve Buscemi paid tribute to the late James Gandolfini, whom he directed on The Sopranos and later acted alongside when he joined the cast. Buscemi and Gandolfini also co-starred in Romance & Cigarettes and the recent The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. “I did not know the meaning of intimidated until those first few takes, and I felt as a director obligated to say something. … Jimmy was very gracious and patient with me. Tony Soprano did not come easy to him. He couldn’t just turn it on and off, but when he got there it was incredible.”

During his tribute to Linklater, Hawke said: “As a director he’s singular. Many directors will give you the opportunity to share his vision but Rick asks you to have vision.” Said Delpy: “I think you got the best of me. I could die right now because you got the best. I want to thank you from the bottom of my big fat French heart,” she added.

“The truth is, none of us are doing it alone,” said Linklater as he accepted tribute honors by thanking his past and present collaborators — and Buscemi, for letting him crash on his couch years ago.

After telling the Gothams crowd to STFU, Daniels shared high praise for friend and collaborator Whitaker. “When I did research for The Butler I became very angry at white people. That shit ain’t funny because it’s not funny what happened. … The lesson I learned when I did The Butler was that Forest told me to keep my anger in, to not be a stereotypical angry black man. Because if I were angry and I saw racism, then it became real. I had to step above it and pretend it wasn’t there. How do you tell your 17-year-old son that you can’t go into a 7-Eleven because you’re African-American and a dude? But Forest helped me through that. He taught me a lot.”

Said Whitaker of his craft: “I’m just trying to remove the veil in front of my eyes … to discover. … The truth is not finite, it’s an infinite thing. Then I surrender to the fact that even if I live on some foundation of truth, that I think I’m discovering something. It continues to expand. Physicists talk about the universe is expanding… I’m going to continue to place my attention with you in unveiling the complexity of the human experience, the human soul.”

Here is the full list of winners:

BEST FEATURE
Inside Llewyn Davis
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, directors; Scott Rudin, Joel Coen, Ethan Coen, producers (CBS Films)

BEST ACTRESS
Brie Larson in Short Term 12
(Cinedigm)

BEST ACTOR
Matthew McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club
(Focus Features)

BINGHAM RAY BREAKTHROUGH DIRECTOR
Ryan Coogler for Fruitvale Station
(The Weinstein Company)

BREAKTHROUGH ACTOR
Michael B. Jordan in Fruitvale Station
(The Weinstein Company)

BEST DOCUMENTARY
The Act of Killing
Joshua Oppenheimer, director; Signe Byrge, Joshua Oppenheimer, producers (Drafthouse Films)

AUDIENCE AWARD
Jake Shimabukuro: Life on Four Strings
Tadashi Nakamura, director; Donald Young, producer
(Center for Asian American Media and PBS)

EUPHORIA CK SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS LIVE THE DREAM GRANT
Beneath the Harvest Sky
Gita Pullapilly, director

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 03:42 PM

3. "I got two hours to hand in my ballot. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 03:48 PM

4. "You got some tough choices ahead of you, as do I"
In response to Reply # 3

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 04:05 PM

5. "Word. I filling it out as we speak..."
In response to Reply # 4

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 04:28 PM

6. "Fuck!!! I'm stuck between Captain Phillips, Frances Ha, and Prisoners"
In response to Reply # 4

for Number 9 and 10 positions. FUCK!!!!!!!!

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 04:31 PM

7. "Fuck! I forgot about Mud!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 02:32 PM

8. "National Board of Review"
In response to Reply # 0

Again, it's early, but there's no real frontrunner yet...

indiewire.com:

>Spike Jonze and 'Her' Win National Board of Review Top Awards

The National Board of Review have announced the winners of the 2013 awards. Spike Jonze's "Her," the story of a man (Joaquin Phoenix) who falls in love with the voice of his computer's operating system, has been named Best Film of 2013, with Jonze winning Best Director.

"Spike Jonze is one of the most talented and visionary filmmakers working today," said Annie Schulhof, NBR President. "In Her, he explores the age-old themes of love and human connection in a completely fresh and innovative way. It is an outstanding achievement that is sure to become a new classic."

The news comes a day after The New York Film Critics Circle named David O. Russell's "American Hustle" the best film of 2013. Once again, "12 Years a Slave," "Gravity" and "Inside Llewyn Davis" were largely shut out of the top awards (although "Gravity" won the Creative Innovation in Filmmaking Award" and the Coen Brothers won Best Original Screenplay). Interestingly, "American Hustle" and its star-studded cast didn't get any recognition from the NBR, which didn't even include the film in its top films of the year.

Hayao Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises," which also won the NYFCC, was named Best Animated Feature and Sarah Polley's "Stories We Tell," was both the NYFCC and NBR's pick for Best Documentary. 77-year-old, Bruce Dern, star of Alexander Payne's "Nebraska," won for Best Actor, while his co-star Will Forte was named Best Supporting Actor. Emma Thompson won for Best Actress for her role in "Saving Mr. Banks," while Octavia Spencer was recognized for her supporting role in "Fruitvale Station." That film's director Ryan Coogler and star Michael B. Jordan received awards for Best Directorial Debut and Breakthrough Performance, respectively. Adele Exarchopolous also received the Breakthrough Performance award for "Blue is the Warmest Color," although the Best Foreign Film award went to Asghar Farhadi's "The Past."

The full list of awards follows:

Best Film: HER

Best Director: Spike Jonze, HER

Best Actor: Bruce Dern, NEBRASKA

Best Actress: Emma Thompson, SAVING MR. BANKS

Best Supporting Actor: Will Forte, NEBRASKA

Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, FRUITVALE STATION

Best Original Screenplay: Joel and Ethan Coen, INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

Best Adapted Screenplay: Terence Winter, THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

Best Animated Feature: THE WIND RISES

Breakthrough Performance: Michael B. Jordan, FRUITVALE STATION

Breakthrough Performance: Adele Exarchopoulos, BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR

Best Directorial Debut: Ryan Coogler, FRUITVALE STATION

Best Foreign Language Film: THE PAST

Best Documentary: STORIES WE TELL

William K. Everson Film History Award: George Stevens, Jr.

Best Ensemble: PRISONERS

Spotlight Award: Career Collaboration of Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio

NBR Freedom of Expression Award: WADJDA

Creative Innovation in Filmmaking Award: GRAVITY

Top Films
(in alphabetical order)

"12 Years a Slave," "Fruitvale Station," "Gravity," Inside Llewyn Davis," "Lone Survivor," "Nebraska," "Prisoners," "Saving Mr. Banks," "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," "The Wolf of Wall Street"

Top 5 Foreign Language Films (In Alphabetical Order)

"Beyond the Hills," "Gloria," "The Grandmaster," "A Hijacking," "The Hunt"

Top 5 Documentaries (In Alphabetical Order)

"20 Feet from Stardom," "The Act of Killing," "After Tiller," "Casting By," "The Square"

Top 10 Independent Films (In Alphabetical Order)

"Ain’t Them Bodies Saints," "Dallas Buyers Club," "In a World…," "Mother of George," "Much Ado About Nothing," "Mud," "The Place Beyond the Pines," "Short Term 12," "Sightseers," "The Spectacular Now"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 02:34 PM

10. "*sighs*"
In response to Reply # 8

Fucking Annie...

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 02:57 PM

11. "What's wrong there? That's a terrific list."
In response to Reply # 10

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 03:45 PM

12. "I'm not gonna talk behind the scenes politics here."
In response to Reply # 11

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 04:20 PM

13. "Well, you DID mention a name on here in a teasing fashion, lol."
In response to Reply # 12

You can't expect folks to not ask! haha

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 04:46 PM

14. "Of course I knew"
In response to Reply # 13

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 02:32 PM

9. "doh, Zoo beat me"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-04-13 02:33 PM by Frank Longo

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sun Dec-08-13 03:51 PM

15. "Boston Society of Film Critics"
In response to Reply # 0

hollywoodreporter.com:

>Boston Critics Name '12 Years a Slave' Best Picture
12:14 PM PST 12/8/2013 by Gregg Kilday

James Gandolfini gets a posthumous award as best supporting actor for "Enough Said."

The Boston Society of Film Critics, voting Sunday, named Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave the best picture of the year and also cited McQueen as best director and the film’s Chiwetel Ejiofor as best actor.

The beantown critics also hailed Cate Blanchett as best actress for Blue Jasmine, gave James Gandolfini a posthumous award as best supporting actor for Enough Said and awarded June Squibb its best supporting actress award for Nebraska.

A complete list of winners follows:

Best Picture - 12 Years a Slave

Best Actor - Chiwetel Ejiofor for 12 Years a Slave

Best Actress- Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine

Best Supporting Actor- James Gandolfini for Enough Said
Best Supporting Actress - June Squibb for Nebraska

Best Director- Steve McQueen for 12 Years a Slave

Best Screenplay- Nicole Holofcener for Enough Said

Best Cinematography- Emmanuel Lubezki for Gravity

Best Documentary - The Act of Killing

Best Foreign-Language Film - Wadjida
Best Animated Film - The Wind Rises

Best Film Editing (awarded in memory of Karen Schmeer) - Daniel P. Hanley and Mike Hill for Rush
Best New Filmmaker (awarded in memory of David Brudnoy)- Ryan Coogler for Fruitvale Station

Best Ensemble Cast - Nebraska

Best Use of Music in a Film - Inside Llewyn Davis

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Yo Soy Widdit

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sun Dec-08-13 05:36 PM

16. "Los Angeles Film Critics Association"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Dec-08-13 05:47 PM by ZooTown74

indiewire.com:

>'Gravity' and 'Her' Top Tie-Friendly LA Critics Awards

Alfonso Cuaron's "Gravity" and Spike Jonze's "Her" tied for top honors with the LA Film Critics, who in general were very much up for offering shared honors. Cate Blanchett, and Adele Exarchopoulos tied for best actress, while Jared Leto and James Franco shared best supporting actress. Notably, both "Her" and "Gravity" were released by Warner Brothers, so clearly it was a happy day for them.

Full list of winners.

Best Picture: Her and Gravity (tie)

Best Director:Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity (Runner-up: Spike Jonze, Her)

Best Actor: Bruce Dern, Nebraska (Runner-up: Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave)

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine and Adele Exarchopoulos, Blue is the Warmest Color (Tie)

Best Supporting Actor: James Franco, Spring Breakers and Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club (Tie)

Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years a Slave (Runner-up: June Squibb, Nebraska)

Best Screenplay: Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy & Ethan Hawke, Before Midnight (Runner-up: Spike Jonze, Her)

Best Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki, Gravity (Runner-up: Bruno Delbonnel, Inside Llewyn Davis)

Best Editing: Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger, Gravity (Runner-up: Shane Carruth and David Lowery, Upstream Color)

Best Production Design: K.K. Barrett, Her (Runner-up: Jess Gonchor, Inside Llewyn Davis)

Best Feature Animation: Ernest & Celestine; runner-up: The Wind Rises

Best Documentary: Stories We Tell; runner-up: The Act of Killing

Best Music Score: T Bone Burnett, Inside Llewyn Davis; runner-up: Arcade Fire and Owen Pallett, Her

Douglas Edwards Independent/Experimental Film/Video Award: Cabinets Of Wonder: Films and a Performance by Charlotte Pryce

Yo Soy Widdit

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #667631 Previous topic | Next topic