Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #665392

Subject: "Frozen (Buck & Lee, 2013)" Search result list | First match | Last match
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Mon Jun-23-14 05:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Frozen (Buck & Lee, 2013)"

Forgot to say I saw this shit last Sunday. Shit is mmmmaaaadddd meh. Super okay. Didn't love, didn't hate it. Entertaining at parts. If you take your kids they're gonna love it. I didn't like any of the songs except for the song where the Queen builds her ice fortress. That shit was dope.

I will say the film is worth seeing just for the Mickey Mouse short before the feature. That shit is worth the price of admission alone.

Here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ieZ4f-DqM

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Saw it last night
Nov 27th 2013
See, I loved Tangled though.
Nov 27th 2013
when did Disney rehire Chris Buck?
Nov 27th 2013
I thought it was terrific. The music was outstanding.
Nov 28th 2013
i dug this one...
Dec 01st 2013
was going to see it Saturday but got sick
Dec 01st 2013
Finally saw it today and meh
Dec 13th 2013
RE: i agree with you on this one
Dec 22nd 2013
I liked this better than Tangled.
Dec 26th 2013
let me qualify this as meaning the movie as a whole, and
Jan 14th 2014
      RE: let me qualify this as meaning the movie as a whole, and
Jan 14th 2014
           In my personal opinion, both films suffer a bit from
Apr 27th 2014
This is now the most successful Disney animated film since
Jan 01st 2014
yep, thats the one....
Jan 02nd 2014
Let it Go was the one song that i liked
Jan 02nd 2014
      I like the "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" song too
Jan 03rd 2014
           yeah that one wasnt bad either
Jan 03rd 2014
great movie. powerful & moving songs, as well as some more
Jan 02nd 2014
And oh yeah - really enjoyed the Mickey Mouse short before
Jan 03rd 2014
^Short was great and the movie was decent.
Jan 14th 2014
disappointed...
Jan 13th 2014
that joint was so boring. lmao
Jan 14th 2014
Let It Go is a great song. The rest of the music in this is trash.
Jan 14th 2014
^^^^
Jan 14th 2014
If you weren't moved by "Do You Want To Build a Snowman"
Jan 16th 2014
      Let It Go was limp to me. Snowman and First Time in Forever crushed me.
Jun 23rd 2014
Have you guys heard the "Explicitly Honest Version" of "Let It Go"?
Jan 16th 2014
This shit is gonna be on Broadway *swipe*
Jan 16th 2014
Reissued today with new "Sing-Along" prints.
Jan 31st 2014
Oh, I never said...
Jan 31st 2014
It was cool. Didn't mind the songs at all.
Feb 05th 2014
Gad was great during some intern-themed skits on Daily Show.
Jun 23rd 2014
Meh
Apr 27th 2014
RE: Meh
Apr 27th 2014
      RE: Meh
Apr 27th 2014
I actually dug this
Apr 28th 2014
we all know how we feel, but I finally saw it, so some thoughts post-hyp...
Jun 23rd 2014
wat
Jun 23rd 2014
oh, I just assumed. didn't know regular Disney did CGI.
Jun 24th 2014
      well, they certainly don't do hand-drawn animation.
Jun 24th 2014
*SPOILERS*
Jun 23rd 2014

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Saw it last night"
In response to Reply # 0

It was entertaining enough. You're right about the songs, though. While they weren't bad, none of them were really memorable. I had the same issue with Tangled. The last Disney musical I really enjoyed was The Princess and the Frog. The songs in that one were just stronger. Story-wise, Frozen was decent and I really dug the look. Overall, I thought it was good, but, decidedly, not great.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

bwood
8613 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 11:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "See, I loved Tangled though."
In response to Reply # 1

Which is funny you say that as they're based on two different fairy tales, yet so similar in execution and animation style. Maybe that's why I didn't like it.

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 05:33 PM

3. "when did Disney rehire Chris Buck?"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Thu Nov-28-13 01:24 AM

4. "I thought it was terrific. The music was outstanding."
In response to Reply # 0

I got teary-eyed at a couple of the songs, they made the musical nerd in me so happy. AND SO MANY SONGS. I can't remember the last Disney musical with this many songs.

Olaf is delightful. I loved the relationship between the sisters. I loved the climactic moment. The colors are beautiful for a film with so much blue and white.

There are a few quibbles that I could make, primarily that the pace becomes so frenetic that it means fewer songs. Still, this is pretty much exactly what I want from a Disney animated musical. Please hire the Lopezes to do the music for all of them from here out,

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 12:03 AM

5. "i dug this one..."
In response to Reply # 0

we just got back...

i actually thought the music was a STRONG point in this one. i thought the songs were memorable and very well performed...i remember thinking it felt like it had a dash of "Wicked-esque' feel about it (turns out it actually did...my wife told me afterwards that the singer from Wicked also played the big sis in Frozen...i LOVE that chicks singing so that gets a thumbs up from me right there). But along with her, i thought ALL of the actors/singers performances in this were really strong and were key to this films success.

Animation performances were quite well done as well, characters subtleties and emotions were well developed and in sync with the audio performances so it was successful there too. Snowman brought a smile to my face...

nice looking movie all the way around. felt like it was well thought out visually. (in that regard, and this may seem like a non-important thing to mention, and it may be, but i remember noticing how well rendered the snow was....it felt real...the way the characters interacted with it...it just felt 'real' & well done...

story was solid, and in some ways even surprising...(there was one plot-line that i fully expected to happen that didn't, and another one that i didn't expect, that did).

so yeah, i thought this was definitely worth checking out for sure, well done. after the credits there is an extra tiny little moment if you like to stick around for that kinda thing btw. (we always do)

oh and the short at the beginning was well executed, very well done 3D....

�
have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 10:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "was going to see it Saturday but got sick"
In response to Reply # 0

so we are taking my son Wednesday. The trailers arent doing it for me. But I have seen a couple reviews and those have me optimistic.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

RobOne4
56697 posts
Fri Dec-13-13 11:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Finally saw it today and meh"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with your review. It wasn't bad and it wasn't good it was very mediocre. The beginning really dragged. The music was terrible. They packed in way to many songs in the first 20 minutes. 4 if you count the opening ice cutting scene. Which was dope. Really reminded me of dumbo when they were building the tents in the rain. But yeahs the rest of the music was really bad. It picked up in the end. It looked great though. Tangled was so much better than this.

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Sun Dec-22-13 09:36 PM

8. "RE: i agree with you on this one"
In response to Reply # 0

beautiful animation, bland atory, bland songs.
little girls will love it tho
It was entertaining enough and since i did not fall asleep i guess i can give it a pass.

Grade B-

b.Touch
20514 posts
Thu Dec-26-13 01:29 AM

9. "I liked this better than Tangled."
In response to Reply # 0

I still feel like the climax was a little...anticlimactic, however.

I will give it credit, however, for finding original ways to use the shopworn Disney animated musical elements and _not_ follow the typical story structure of one of these films.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Tue Jan-14-14 11:22 AM

20. "let me qualify this as meaning the movie as a whole, and"
In response to Reply # 9

not the animation.

The effects animation is spectacular, but the character animation is lackluster.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Tue Jan-14-14 12:02 PM

22. "RE: let me qualify this as meaning the movie as a whole, and"
In response to Reply # 20

you like it more because it strays away from typical Disney formula? Pacing problems and bad songs dont matter?

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sun Apr-27-14 03:49 PM

32. "In my personal opinion, both films suffer a bit from"
In response to Reply # 22
Sun Apr-27-14 03:50 PM by b.Touch

pleasant but unmemorable songs ("Hercules" has bad songs. "Tarzan" had Phil Collins warbling every four minutes. These songs, I'm okay with). "Let It Go" and "Do You Wan to Build a Snowman?" obviously break the curve on comparison, and I rather like "For the First TIme in Forever", derivative as it is.

And I really didn't feel the pacing was uneven for most of the film. As I said before, I'm not fond of the third act. There's not enough action and the handling of the emotional weight isn't enough to make up for it.

This could have been remedied with better editing, better musical score, maybe a little more time spent on seeing the castle destroyed, and, again, better character animation.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Wed Jan-01-14 06:13 PM

10. "This is now the most successful Disney animated film since"
In response to Reply # 0

"The Lion King" with a US/Can box office take of $248 million - and there's numbers being run showing that it could very well outperform TLK's original theatrical run.

And if Idina Menzel's "Let It Go" hits the BIllboard TOp 40 (It's currently at #51), it'll be their first big hit from a Disney animated movie since, I guess, "Tarzan" in 1999?

#MickeysBack?

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Thu Jan-02-14 08:46 AM

11. "yep, thats the one...."
In response to Reply # 10

>
>And if Idina Menzel's "Let It Go" hits the BIllboard TOp 40
>(It's currently at #51), it'll be their first big hit from a
>Disney animated movie since, I guess, "Tarzan" in 1999?
>

yeah THATs the song, and voice, (and scene) right there...My Wife & daughter have been singing 'Let It Go' round the house regularly ever since we saw the flick. (i aint gonna lie, i may have hummed it a few times too ...but yeah thats the key winner right there.

that Menzel is something special...really dig all her performances in everything i've ever heard her do....

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Jan-02-14 02:55 PM

13. "Let it Go was the one song that i liked"
In response to Reply # 10

it was the only one that felt natural and not forced. Everything else bad.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Jan-03-14 09:54 AM

14. "I like the "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" song too"
In response to Reply # 13
Fri Jan-03-14 09:56 AM by b.Touch

Everything else was perhaps a little too modern Broadway for me, and not in a good Ashman/Menken way.

Also - they've somehow gone from $248 mil to $271 mil in a few days. They're printing money.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Fri Jan-03-14 03:42 PM

15. "yeah that one wasnt bad either"
In response to Reply # 14

but yes the music was just forced. Like I said in my review the first 30 minutes were rough. The amount of songs was ridiculous. Every conversation turned into a song. Damn near none of it needed to be a song. I think that added to how slow the beginning was. But once it got going it was great. I didnt think this would do that well. But man like you said it is printing money. I could see a huge merchandise push for this every Christmas. Especially the way they change the scenery at the parks.

pdafunk
Charter member
5445 posts
Thu Jan-02-14 10:31 AM

12. "great movie. powerful & moving songs, as well as some more"
In response to Reply # 0

lighthearted ones. olaf is funnier than your typical comedy relief sidekick. some stock characters but the main ones were well-rounded, and as the father of two girls i got misty more than once during the elsa/anna scenes.

------
"I can't promise I'll try. But I'll try to try."

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Jan-03-14 06:50 PM

16. "And oh yeah - really enjoyed the Mickey Mouse short before"
In response to Reply # 0

the feature.

However, if you plan on going to see it, do NOT read anything about the movie or the short online, because otherwise it spoils the whole thing.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Tue Jan-14-14 09:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "^Short was great and the movie was decent."
In response to Reply # 16

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Mon Jan-13-14 01:11 PM

17. "disappointed... "
In response to Reply # 0

because I thought Tangled was fun to watch...

this movie was very blah imo, and the songs were weak

Bruce Belafonte
Member since Jan 14th 2008
31999 posts
Tue Jan-14-14 09:33 AM

19. "that joint was so boring. lmao"
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/5o37GORoKUQ

#htpw

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Tue Jan-14-14 11:22 AM

21. "Let It Go is a great song. The rest of the music in this is trash."
In response to Reply # 0

Like really, really bad. Just bland, generic, boring, uninspired trash. It sounded like cuts that wouldn't even have made mid 90's Dreamworks joints.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Tue Jan-14-14 12:04 PM

23. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 21

and you know what bugs me is Disney is going to shove this down our throat every Christmas just because its an easy winter tie in. With out that the movie would be forgotten by next year.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Jan-16-14 01:01 PM

24. "If you weren't moved by "Do You Want To Build a Snowman""
In response to Reply # 21

....then I don't even know what to tell you. That shit hit hard.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Jun-23-14 04:57 PM

36. "Let It Go was limp to me. Snowman and First Time in Forever crushed me."
In response to Reply # 24

watched 'em again today 24 hours later and I got misty again.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

CaptNish
14495 posts
Thu Jan-16-14 01:03 PM

25. "Have you guys heard the "Explicitly Honest Version" of "Let It Go"?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/frozen-bobby-lopez-kristen-anderson-lopez-rate-fan-song-versions.html

Fucking hilarious.

And that "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" reprise is crushing.

_

bwood
8613 posts
Thu Jan-16-14 04:38 PM

26. "This shit is gonna be on Broadway *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

Longo is gonna love this.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/01/13/disney-frozen-musical-broadway/

With Aladdin set for a Broadway premiere this February and The Hunchback of Notre Dame long in the works, Disney is looking further ahead to another candidate to bring from the screen to the stage: Frozen.

Disney Theatrical Productions has confirmed to EW that Frozen is in early development for the stage. Disney CEO and chairman Bob Iger dropped the hint to Fortune that discussions have begun to develop the wintry 2013 musical—which is breaking box office records and inspiring all kinds of ebullient fan reactions—into a full-fledged theater production, though he did not specify whether the show would be built for Broadway or as one of the many theatrical attractions at Disney’s parks (where things like Aladdin: A Musical Spectaular and Finding Nemo – The Musical have wound up).

“We’re not demanding speed,” Iger told Fortune in regards to a time frame for the show. “We’re demanding excellence.”

Among Frozen’s promising stage merits are a winning score by Book of Mormon and Avenue Q co-creator Robert Lopez, as well as a voice cast that includes bona fide Broadway singers Idina Menzel (Wicked), Jonathan Groff (Spring Awakening), Josh Gad (The Book of Mormon) and Santino Fontana (Cinderella).

This news piggybacks off another recently rumored Frozen expansion, one that would reportedly involve the development of a theme park attraction at Disney’s EPCOT Center (Disney has not confirmed these plans).

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Jan-31-14 06:18 PM

27. "Reissued today with new "Sing-Along" prints."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-frozen-sing-along-676174?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Fnews+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Top+Stories)

SEE! THE MOVIE THAT WOULDN'T DIE!!

CaptNish
14495 posts
Fri Jan-31-14 10:35 PM

28. "Oh, I never said..."
In response to Reply # 0

I absolutely loved it. Have seen it maybe three times. Shrug.

_

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Feb-05-14 02:35 AM

29. "It was cool. Didn't mind the songs at all."
In response to Reply # 0

And yes, you could see the "heel turn" a mile away, but it didn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the movie.

I hate that I missed him in Book of Mormon so/but this is the first thing I really enjoyed Josh Gad in. He was tremendous.

When I'm blessed with kids and one of them happens to be a girl, I'm going to show this and Mulan to her. (Corporate-sanctioned) Girl power and whatnot.

Oh, and the short before Frozen was fun as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2-28? SLAVERY.

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon Jun-23-14 04:58 PM

37. "Gad was great during some intern-themed skits on Daily Show."
In response to Reply # 29

he was like a Republican poll taker at Jewish parties or something, I can't totally remember. but it was real funny.

he was good in New girl too if I remember, but I can't remember what he actually did. I just looked I'm up after, saw his face and thought "random dude from New Girl" before I saw he was also on Daily Show and remembered that.

~~~~~~~~~

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Sun Apr-27-14 01:22 PM

30. "Meh"
In response to Reply # 0

Not crazy about the songs, and the way the princesses were animated made them move like Barbie in Toy Story 2 too much.

And the parents being killed was silly too. And who took care of the kingdom for those years?

I didn't quite understand why the town accepted the ice queen as the queen. One second they think she's a horrible witch, the next they're cheering her.

Then I remember "Hey, it's a movie for kids, and kids are stupid."

So, yeah - meh.

P.S. The ice castle building sequence really reminded me of Watchmen too.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sun Apr-27-14 03:44 PM

31. "RE: Meh"
In response to Reply # 30

>Not crazy about the songs, and the way the princesses were
>animated made them move like Barbie in Toy Story 2 too much.

I have serious issues with the character animation of the humans in this film that may or may not be a discussion beyond the scope of this board, but we essentially agree.

>
>And the parents being killed was silly too. And who took care
>of the kingdom for those years?

Dead parents are a trope of fairy tales and the films they make them from; European authors seemed to prefer writing about orphans. According to the screenwriter, there was an appointed regent who took care of the kingdom until Elsa was old enough to rule (she wanted Louis CK to do the voice), but the part was written out as the film is already a little long.

>
>I didn't quite understand why the town accepted the ice queen
>as the queen. One second they think she's a horrible witch,
>the next they're cheering her.

Because she brought back summer and they all saw her do it. That one made sense to me.

>
>Then I remember "Hey, it's a movie for kids, and kids are
>stupid."

The film isn't intended sole for kids, nor are kids all as inherently stupid as adults claim them to be. If a film is bad or underwritten, whether it's animated or not, it's still bad and underwritten. Especially on $150 mil productions, the bar doesn't get lowered because it's a Disney animated film.

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Sun Apr-27-14 10:52 PM

33. "RE: Meh"
In response to Reply # 31

>>And the parents being killed was silly too. And who took
>care
>>of the kingdom for those years?
>
>Dead parents are a trope of fairy tales and the films they
>make them from; European authors seemed to prefer writing
>about orphans. According to the screenwriter, there was an
>appointed regent who took care of the kingdom until Elsa was
>old enough to rule (she wanted Louis CK to do the voice), but
>the part was written out as the film is already a little
>long.

I know it's a trope, but goddamned it was poorly placed. Seems like they were hitting the positions in a bad porn movie - like YOU HAVE TO kill the parents (porn movie:suck his cock) before we can move to the next part of the story (porn movie:fuck her.)

And not having anyone run the Kingdom, or look after the girls (other than the house staff) seem very shallow. (I mean throw in a well meaning guy who's dupe early on and maybe even killed after the princesses leave and it'd have brought more feeling to the movie.)

And that the parents brought to them to the trolls in an otherwise un-magical kingdom seemed weird too. Does the Kingdom have magic or not? Or did only the king/queen and Christop see that? Could be more stories to tell in that universe - or it could be they didn't focus on filling in those details because they needed to add another song where someone's standing by some candy and then singing about it.

>>I didn't quite understand why the town accepted the ice
>queen
>>as the queen. One second they think she's a horrible witch,
>>the next they're cheering her.
>
>Because she brought back summer and they all saw her do it.
>That one made sense to me.

They had also seen her freeze everything , act crazy, be jailed, and be told she murdered her sister too. So she unfreezes everything and it's okay? They're must not be in Republicans in that place, because if they don't stop talking shit on Obama care I can only imagine what they'd do if he Froze the world.

The film was ultimately unsatisfying for me - but it's CLEANING UP and the kids LOVE IT. Broadway musical soon. Three straight to DVD releases, and a sequel, plus a ride and it'll replace Pinocchio in the parks.

But it's no Toy Story 2.

It got my $1.50 at Redbox.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Apr-28-14 06:05 PM

34. "I actually dug this"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like I've missed (well I wouldn't say MISSED...not watched) almost all of the Disney flicks since The Lion King...and man things have definitely changed.

I was really impressed. There were self-serving characters but no real evil villain. There was a love story but it took a back seat to the love story between the sisters. It even went out of its way not to let the male 'lead' of the story get to duke it out with the character that comes closest to antagonist.

I saw Brave afterward and man, it seems like Disney is finally getting it right. Or at least on the right track...

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon Jun-23-14 04:51 PM

35. "we all know how we feel, but I finally saw it, so some thoughts post-hyp..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-23-14 05:01 PM by Nodima

This was a strange experience for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a comedy, though I wasn't laughing nearly as hard as my girlfriend was and she'd already seen the movie three times. And it was animated wonderfully, it's seriously wild how Pixar continues to one up themselves on that front. But it was also a bit of a lifeless movie, with large scenes being taken up by very plain color palettes. Stuff like Kristoff riding through the snow to a freezing Anna looked like a demo reel from Electronic Arts' 2014 E3 press conference.

I'm also thoroughly underwhelmed by the "Let It Go" song. It comes out of nowhere, the vocals sound oddly forward as if someone suddenly swapped the Blu-Ray out for an audio CD, and lyrically it really isn't that engaging. I loved Anna and Elsa's duet that opened the movie, though, it struck a perfect balance of heartrending and childlike wistfulness. Anna's duet with The Prince was also fantastic, and if I ever have kids they might have to meet Olaf long before Frosty the Snowman. But "Let It Go" just is not the jam it's made out to be, it's a C-tier song sung by an A-list Broadway woman, that's all. As someone who grew up on Mariah Carey CDs I have an appreciation for those kinds of songs, but I just don't get the hype.

Where I feel really torn is the story itself fails to be compelling. The parents dying so early was the one legitimate surprise and it was brushed aside so abruptly one could make an argument the children should have been royal orphans from the very beginning. The rest of the movie plays on a variety of cliches, climaxing in the scene where Sven (a Reindeer who's voice smartly comes from Kristoff's imagination rather than his own mouth) convinces Kristoff to go back for Anna. Prince Whatever-His-Name-Was took a hard swing that wasn't earned at all, as did most of the characters honestly. Decisions were made in this movie just to move the plot along, rarely if ever was any understanding behind those decisions established.

So in the end, I'm left with a movie I enjoyed watching quite a lot, but it was hard to tell how much of that was owed to my girlfriend's uproarious laughter throughout (especially at Olaf). Stripped of the pitch perfect voice acting, the mostly great songs, consistently witty banter and lovably fluid animation of ice and dance, Frozen isn't a good movie and probably isn't even an average one. But that's a whole lot of stuff to strip away from a film just to say I didn't like it. So I'll say I did.

~~~~~~~~~

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Jun-23-14 06:15 PM

38. "wat"
In response to Reply # 35

>And it was animated wonderfully, it's seriously wild how Pixar
>continues to one up themselves on that front.

This is not a Pixar production. It was produced by the regular Disney animation studio (the same one that did all the musicals like this one back in the 1990s).

Nodima
15297 posts
Tue Jun-24-14 03:30 AM

40. "oh, I just assumed. didn't know regular Disney did CGI."
In response to Reply # 38
Tue Jun-24-14 03:37 AM by Nodima

I didn't see Tangled or Wreck It Ralph and didn't pay attention to the pre-roll on the blu-ray.

~~~~~~~~~

b.Touch
20514 posts
Tue Jun-24-14 06:43 AM

41. "well, they certainly don't do hand-drawn animation."
In response to Reply # 40

All of those people were fired. Twice.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Jun-23-14 06:36 PM

39. "*SPOILERS*"
In response to Reply # 35

>This was a strange experience for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it
>as a comedy, though I wasn't laughing nearly as hard as my
>girlfriend was and she'd already seen the movie three times.
>And it was animated wonderfully, it's seriously wild how Pixar
>continues to one up themselves on that front. But it was also
>a bit of a lifeless movie, with large scenes being taken up by
>very plain color palettes. Stuff like Kristoff riding through
>the snow to a freezing Anna looked like a demo reel from
>Electronic Arts' 2014 E3 press conference.
>
>I'm also thoroughly underwhelmed by the "Let It Go" song. It
>comes out of nowhere, the vocals sound oddly forward as if
>someone suddenly swapped the Blu-Ray out for an audio CD, and
>lyrically it really isn't that engaging. I loved Anna and
>Elsa's duet that opened the movie, though, it struck a perfect
>balance of heartrending and childlike wistfulness. Anna's duet
>with The Prince was also fantastic, and if I ever have kids
>they might have to meet Olaf long before Frosty the Snowman.
>But "Let It Go" just is not the jam it's made out to be, it's
>a C-tier song sung by an A-list Broadway woman, that's all. As
>someone who grew up on Mariah Carey CDs I have an appreciation
>for those kinds of songs, but I just don't get the hype.

LOL we just have to disagree on this one. THere are some weak song s in that movie (the Troll song, for example), but I loved "Let It Go" the second I head it (I saw the film fairly early).

>
>Where I feel really torn is the story itself fails to be
>compelling. The parents dying so early was the one legitimate
>surprise and it was brushed aside so abruptly one could make
>an argument the children should have been royal orphans from
>the very beginning. The rest of the movie plays on a variety
>of cliches, climaxing in the scene where Sven (a Reindeer
>who's voice smartly comes from Kristoff's imagination rather
>than his own mouth) convinces Kristoff to go back for Anna.
>Prince Whatever-His-Name-Was took a hard swing that wasn't
>earned at all, as did most of the characters honestly.
>Decisions were made in this movie just to move the plot along,
>rarely if ever was any understanding behind those decisions
>established.

I've discussed above how I thought the third act was soft, but I didn't mind Prince Hans' heel turn. It was a bit predictable, however - I figured fairly early on that Anna was going to end up with Kristoff and Hans would either have to be (a) the doormat or (b) the heel. His turn only seemingly comes out of nowhere, on purpose, through selective portrayal of events - once he does his villain monologue, it should be clear he had the whole thing planned out from the beginning (Jennifer Lee, the screenwriter, thought of Hans as a psychopath who is good at "mirroring" people so that they like him. She fought off the entire story department, who wanted hints early on that he was evil).

>
>So in the end, I'm left with a movie I enjoyed watching quite
>a lot, but it was hard to tell how much of that was owed to my
>girlfriend's uproarious laughter throughout (especially at
>Olaf). Stripped of the pitch perfect voice acting, the mostly
>great songs, consistently witty banter and lovably fluid
>animation of ice and dance, Frozen isn't a good movie and
>probably isn't even an average one. But that's a whole lot of
>stuff to strip away from a film just to say I didn't like it.
>So I'll say I did.
>

I was gonna say - you take all that away and what's left? A Little Golden Book retelling?

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #665392Search result list | First match | Last match