Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #655567

Subject: "Grown Ups 2 (Dugan, 2013)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Jul-12-13 11:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Grown Ups 2 (Dugan, 2013)"

Just in case someone wants to talk about it.

Here's the terrific Variety review, for your pleasure.

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/film-review-grown-ups-2-1200561423/

The first scene in “Grown Ups 2” depicts a deer urinating directly onto Adam Sandler’s face. The penultimate scene (spoiler alert) depicts the very same deer apparently castrating Taylor Lautner. These bookends are not only the film’s highlights, they also represent the closest it comes to establishing any sort of narrative throughline. Among the slackest, laziest, least movie-like movies released by a major studio in the last decade, “Grown Ups 2” is perhaps the closest Hollywood has yet come to making “Ow! My Balls!” seem like a plausible future project. It is all but guaranteed a strong opening weekend.

A follow-up to 2010’s critically savaged yet massively lucrative “Grown Ups,” this sequel introduces a few changes. Most obviously, although Dennis Dugan is back in the director’s chair and stars Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock and David Spade all reprise their roles as high-school buddies turned over-the-hill dads, Rob Schneider is mysteriously missing. But more importantly, while “Grown Ups” made some often cringeworthy attempts to shoehorn maudlin life lessons and character arcs into all the crotch smashing, this sequel barely attempts to function as a piece of narrative filmmaking at all, almost immediately devolving into a hash of frantic, random incidents strung together with the slimmest sliver of coherence.

Like “Mrs. Dalloway” and “Ulysses,” “Grown Ups 2” unfolds entirely within the span of a single day; in this case, the last day of school in a small Massachusetts town. Like “Ulysses” — though unlike “Mrs. Dalloway” — it features plentiful flatulence, and James Joyce might well have appreciated the neologism “burpsnart,” which describes Kevin James’ character’s ability to burp, sneeze and fart simultaneously. Whether he would have appreciated seeing this trick repeated no less than five times is an enigma for the ages, though the sheer amount of pissing, vomiting, ear picking, crotch sniffing, man-on-dog tongue kissing and belly-button lint eating that the film contains would surely push anyone over the edge.

The cast is massive — in addition to a cross-section of Sandler’s former “Saturday Night Live” compatriots, Lautner, Shaquille O’Neal and Steve Austin are among the newcomers — and rather than attempt to construct intersecting plotlines that involve all these thesps, the script (by Sandler, Fred Wolf and Tim Herlihy) instead simply doles out a single task for each character to accomplish (ask the girl out, avoid the bully, bond with the long-lost son, etc.), the vast majority of which are forgotten as soon as they’re introduced.

As bad as it is at tying up loose ends, the film is even worse at laying groundwork. In one scene, the central foursome come across a giant tire, and with no attempt at explanation or reasonable comedic setup, Spade is simply thrust inside and sent rolling through town, because that’s what grown men do when they find a giant tire.

There are some mercies, however. Befitting Sandler’s personal reputation as a mensch, most of the actors seem to have had a good time onset. And while Sandler’s films usually feature wall-to-wall product placement, “Grown Ups 2’s” brand-whoring is constrained to a single — albeit seemingly endless — scene set prominently inside a K-Mart. The film also avoids some of the misanthropy and borderline racism that has emerged in so many recent Sandler projects, although a female bodybuilder comes in for some bizarrely elongated and repeated abuse, and never with more wit than the moment in which Maya Rudolph’s character randomly points at her and yells, “She’s got a penis.”

While the film is hardly distinguished by any of its craft elements, it’s never nearly as ugly as it is stupid.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
oh jesus fuckin christ
Jul 13th 2013
RE: Grown Ups 2 (Dugan, 2013)
Jul 14th 2013
You think he has taste?
Jul 14th 2013
Man that instantly raises my interest in this
Jul 15th 2013
One of those movies that didnt need a sequel....
Jul 14th 2013
LOL@ "Ow, My Balls". That shit could actually work.
Jul 15th 2013
just as FYI, in case you didnt know or forgot
Jul 17th 2013
      I'm surprised there isnt already a script floating around.
Jul 18th 2013
      LOL yeah I missed the reference. I love Idiocracy.
Aug 10th 2013
Fuck wrong with yall? First one was GOOD
Jul 15th 2013
sir,... please have SEVERAL seats.
Jul 16th 2013
it was better than this one, that's for damn sure
Jul 17th 2013
Easily one of the absolute worst movies ever made. Ever. Really.
Aug 10th 2013

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Sat Jul-13-13 04:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "oh jesus fuckin christ"
In response to Reply # 0

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 09:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Grown Ups 2 (Dugan, 2013)"
In response to Reply # 0

Surpised Rob Scneider passed on this one, guess I will as well lol

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 03:30 PM

3. "You think he has taste?"
In response to Reply # 2

No...rumor is he had a spat with Sandler and they were on the outs.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Mon Jul-15-13 10:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Man that instantly raises my interest in this "
In response to Reply # 2

I can't stand the cast itself, especially Kevin James. He's almost as bad as schnieder. David Spade has a lifetime pass for Joe Dirt though, and Rock gets love for his stand up even if his movies suck all manner of dick.

I've largely hated Sandler movies since Big Daddy, with the exceptions being Funny People, Just Go With It, and, oddly enough, Grown Ups. It was formulaic bullshit through and through but managed to be pretty enjoyable to my wife and I. This one looks like some shit to watch on HBO.

No Rob Schnieder brought that shit up several degrees though.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Sun Jul-14-13 08:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "One of those movies that didnt need a sequel...."
In response to Reply # 0

I liked the first one, will pass on this one until it his TBS or TNT.....

You gon' live forever
Whether you want to or not
Some of us gon' end up holy
Some of us gon' end up hot.....

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Mon Jul-15-13 10:18 AM

6. "LOL@ "Ow, My Balls". That shit could actually work. "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-15-13 10:19 AM by Cold Truth

Sounds like a Zucker Brothers flick, and I would watch that.

Since this is an imperfect world, 'Ow, My Balls' would be a Sandler production starring Kevin James, as though that's not every he's in anyways.

-Sig-

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 01:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "just as FYI, in case you didnt know or forgot "
In response to Reply # 6

the refference. I was actually pretty surprised that author refered to "Ow, My Balls!". It was a fictional reality tv show in movie "Idiocracy". Check it out if you haven't

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Jul-18-13 09:03 PM

11. "I'm surprised there isnt already a script floating around."
In response to Reply # 9

Idiocracy came out a while ago. Its achieved a pretty good following like Office Space. Hollywood has no original ideas. Perfect.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Sat Aug-10-13 07:26 PM

12. "LOL yeah I missed the reference. I love Idiocracy."
In response to Reply # 9

Good catch.

Now I want some Extra Big Ass Fries.

-Sig-

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Mon Jul-15-13 01:42 PM

7. "Fuck wrong with yall? First one was GOOD"
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Fructose Soda
Member since Feb 19th 2012
2150 posts
Tue Jul-16-13 02:18 PM

8. "sir,... please have SEVERAL seats."
In response to Reply # 7

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 09:25 AM

10. "it was better than this one, that's for damn sure"
In response to Reply # 7

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Sat Aug-10-13 07:40 PM

13. "Easily one of the absolute worst movies ever made. Ever. Really. "
In response to Reply # 0

EVER.

This shit is easily in that "worst of the worst" class, and I wish I could say that was hyperbole.

There's nothing that even resembles a plot. That's not me being cute and snarky, there's literally no plot. A few things tie up in the end but there's no actual story line whatsoever. At all.

So many of the jokes and gags felt like part of a bit that was written before the writers got their coffee or whatever, got sidetracked, and forgot to finish. I lost count of all the jokes where the punchline was someone saying "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?" in very exaggerated fashion. No, really. That's the truth.

What's hilarious about Rob Schnieder not doing this is the fact that this was so perfectly up his alley it makes you wonder if he felt he was perhaps one bludgeoning review away from even Sandler no longer being able to support his career. Rob had to have read that script and said "I've whored myself out to bullshit like this throughout the entire sad sack of shit known as my career, but THIS might actually be the death knell."

It's like the Chris Rock bit where mass murderers and child molesters and look at the guy who just hacked up his whole family like "You're sick!".

The worst part of this piece of shit movie is that I was stuck in a room full of imbeciles who guffawed through the entire mess. I'm talking loud, side splitting, popcorn spitting laughter. Uproarious. These people were yucking it up every 7 seconds.

Thank god I saw this shit in another state. I was stuck taking my cousins two kids due to what was perceived to be a promise months ago, and the movie + the concessions and lunch wound up burning about 60 bucks. S

-Sig-

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #655567 Previous topic | Next topic