Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #648232

Subject: "Mud (Nichols, 2013)" Previous topic | Next topic
Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Apr-26-13 03:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mud (Nichols, 2013)"

Matt = more depth than Depp.

This just a appetizer before he win the Oscar for being skinny.

Great to see him starting to make good on all the promise he showed when he hit the scene.

He's a much better actor than Pitt and Depp.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
no on better than Pitt & Depp, but he da man anyfuck
Apr 26th 2013
crazy just a year later, Depp wouldn't even crack
Feb 16th 2015
Really nice film
Apr 27th 2013
Saw it earlier today. Dope as hell
May 03rd 2013
Quite good. Nichols is very confident in his storytelling.
May 05th 2013
excellent movie
May 09th 2013
Loved it
May 11th 2013
Terrific film. On iTunes now. Go check it out.
Jul 24th 2013
Better than most films released so far in 2013
Jul 24th 2013
RE: Mud (Nichols, 2013)
Aug 24th 2013
RE:Very good film
Aug 28th 2013
Mehud
Sep 03rd 2013
Slept On Movie
Oct 20th 2013
late pass: I get the praise, it's very attractive and very easy to watch...
Feb 13th 2015
Very good movie
Feb 16th 2015
randomly watched this on Netflix the other day. so good
Feb 23rd 2015

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri Apr-26-13 08:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "no on better than Pitt & Depp, but he da man anyfuck"
In response to Reply # 0

i can't wait for this either

after Take Shelter, i'll watch anything by Nichols and MM been on a roll

astralblak
20029 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 01:23 PM

14. "crazy just a year later, Depp wouldn't even crack "
In response to Reply # 1

my top 10

Pitt def, but M Dogg better than both right now

seen the movie one other time and it was still damn good, not as great as I felt on first viewing, but Nichols is a great director man

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sat Apr-27-13 02:54 AM

2. "Really nice film"
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't break any new ground story-wise but I liked the mood and pacing and the kids were great. Matty Mc was Matty Mc and did a good job with a role he was born to play.

I think I still liked Side Effects more but it's one of the best movies to come out so far this year (at least, from what I've seen.)

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Fri May-03-13 08:01 PM

3. "Saw it earlier today. Dope as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

Man I loved this flick.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Sun May-05-13 11:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Quite good. Nichols is very confident in his storytelling."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun May-05-13 11:54 AM by The Analyst

This felt like supremely assured filmmaking to me, as the story unfolds at a pretty deliberate pace and it never feels like it's rushed and it never feels like it doesn't know where it wants to go.

McConaughey is excellent, but Tye Sheridan (who I think was the middle son in Tree of Life) is really outstanding. I might even call him a revelation. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like the kid has a bright future. (And I will gladly eat crow for clowning McConaughey for all those years - his last two years have been truly awesome, both in terms of role choices and performances.)

This is pretty easily one of the best movies I've seen so far this year. For a while I wasn't sure what exactly what Nichols was getting at, because most of the men here sort of blame all of their problems on women - who they consider at turns selfish, devious, promiscuous, and untrustworthy - and at times it feels like the movie's taking their position. Ignored by those guys is the fact that they've all contributed mightily to their own circumstances. By the end of the movie, though, Nichols has come to a much more neutral position and it ends pretty hopefully. (I thought Take Shelter ended hopefully too - I think it's the only reading of the ending that makes a lick of sense - but I know some others disagree...)

Anyhow, this is definitely worth checking out. Nichols has further reinforced his status as one of the most noteworthy up-and-coming filmmakers on the scene. Can't wait to see what he does next.

----

astralblak
20029 posts
Thu May-09-13 05:52 PM

5. "excellent movie"
In response to Reply # 0

great dialogue, perfect pacing, resonant tone about love and deception, and fantastic acting by MM and the kids

4, maybe 4.5 outta 5

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Sat May-11-13 12:27 AM

6. "Loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

If Tye Sheridan can keep from self destructing, he has a HUGE future ahead of him. He was brilliant. So was MM. This movie surprised and blew me away.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jul-24-13 05:02 PM

7. "Terrific film. On iTunes now. Go check it out."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Wed Jul-24-13 05:58 PM

8. "Better than most films released so far in 2013"
In response to Reply # 0

I liked the storytelling, its not too slow as some people have said. I didn't think Reese Witherspoon was needed in that role but whatever - box office reasons.

The final couple of scenes i thought were out of step with the rest of the film

and SPOILER ALERT: Checkhov's Gun on the sekans

Benedict the Moor
Member since Dec 06th 2011
1476 posts
Sat Aug-24-13 08:58 PM

9. "RE: Mud (Nichols, 2013)"
In response to Reply # 0

One of the best flicks of 2013. Right up there w/ Fruitvale, War Witch, & Pines.

◦◦◦
http://oi40.tinypic.com/2enp550.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iQBdCzZIftHZ2.gif

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Wed Aug-28-13 10:05 PM

10. "RE:Very good film"
In response to Reply # 0

I loved the shots of the river, beautiful.
Grade A

>Matt = more depth than Depp.
>
>This just a appetizer before he win the Oscar for being
>skinny.
>
>Great to see him starting to make good on all the promise he
>showed when he hit the scene.
When a good looking blonde guy hits the scene shirtless i don't think he has much promise as an actor,lol.
>
>He's a much better actor than Pitt and Depp.
This is an absolutrly bullshit ass statement right here.

Matt M. was great in this film but i just don't think he is a good actor at all.

As a matter of fact, there was another blonde guy that arrived on the scene about the same time as Matthew M. Both of these guys were considered for a role in a great epic film about a ship. Well you know that other guy got the role in the top grossing film of all time. lol The guy starring in this great film about the ship made some missteps as well but his career has survived. This dude got Oscar nominations as well,lol. This guy is damn sure more talented than Matt M. and he ain't always taking his shirt off.
lol You know who i am talking about and i can namea plenty actors way more talented than Matt.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Sep-03-13 11:19 AM

11. "Mehud"
In response to Reply # 0

Not bad but needlessly long & repetitive at times. Seems like it tries to make up for it by going all L.A. Confidential for the finale. Kid was quick to throw them fists tho.

J-Elijah
Member since Dec 09th 2009
260 posts
Sun Oct-20-13 08:38 PM

12. "Slept On Movie"
In response to Reply # 0

Acting was Excellent
Great script
Slepton Film
Reese, Matthew, & Sarah were all awesome, esp. the child actors too

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 09:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "late pass: I get the praise, it's very attractive and very easy to watch..."
In response to Reply # 0

but it's also kind of a movie's movie if you know what I mean. one of those movies that has absolutely no surprises for you.

for some people I get that a great movie can come from that, but I needed just a little something more from this. It would/could/will? make a great cable movie down the line, on USA or TNT. it goes down some cinematic comfort food, nothing about it is less than flawless it just doesn't have any real...something to it to make it feel special.

loved the kids though.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 06:26 PM

15. "Very good movie"
In response to Reply # 0

I need to watch again. I'm surprised it didn't get talked about more.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 06:10 PM

16. "randomly watched this on Netflix the other day. so good"
In response to Reply # 0

dug it on every level

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #648232 Previous topic | Next topic