Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #626346

Subject: "Last Resort, or Andre Braugher Threatens to Blow Us All to Smithereens" Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Last Resort, or Andre Braugher Threatens to Blow Us All to Smithereens"

Sounds like a limited premise, but Mr. Braugher has talked about an "island" and/or some kind of government conspiracy

Which could be fascinating

Or could lead to posts asking "where it went wrong" 2 years after it's over

But it's Andre Braugher, how bad could it be yo?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I watch anything with Andre Braugher on GP
Sep 27th 2012
My wife made a really good observation
Sep 27th 2012
I always have too but it becomes tougher & tougher nowadays
Sep 27th 2012
      Do you regret watching Thief or MoaCA?
Sep 28th 2012
pilot was all over the place, but good
Sep 27th 2012
I thought the pilot was excellent
Sep 28th 2012
Lost got everyone jaded!!! LOL.
Sep 28th 2012
At least the Producers recognize they gotta keep up the momentum (SWIPE)
Sep 28th 2012
      Gajdusek
Oct 18th 2012
           LOL! I think it's "Gadusek" The "j" is silent
Oct 19th 2012
I'm all in on this show
Oct 05th 2012
Excellent show...
Oct 18th 2012
this shit is crazy boring.
Oct 18th 2012
Last Resort is a must watch for me every week
Oct 19th 2012
you gotta be fucking kidding me
Oct 19th 2012
Noooooo...it's been cancelled (swipe)
Nov 17th 2012
I LOL'd at the screen when he said 'test us' in the trailer
Nov 18th 2012
I watched them all this weekend
Dec 17th 2012
And so it ends...
Jan 31st 2013

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 02:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I watch anything with Andre Braugher on GP"
In response to Reply # 0

>Sounds like a limited premise, but Mr. Braugher has talked
>about an "island" and/or some kind of government conspiracy
>
>Which could be fascinating

sounds interesting... but if I see a Dharma initiative logo anywhere I'm out.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "My wife made a really good observation"
In response to Reply # 1

This looks like a great movie, or mini-series but no way to keep this up for a prolonged period of time.

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 05:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I always have too but it becomes tougher & tougher nowadays"
In response to Reply # 1

because the work keeps getting spottier, harder to find & less likely to stay on air.

I was watching 'Thief' on F/X & liked it despite its flaws because it was Andre Braugher leading a heist team while juggling domestic responsibilities.

Six eps with a 'To Be Continued' finale, GONE.

Was watching 'Men Of A Certain Age' with Braugher, Scott Bakula & Ray Romano about friends in their late 40s facing their mortality/lost-promise-of-youth together, that got a two-month-midseason run & then another before it was killed.

And this, which ABC will likely give 3-4 eps before it decides whether or not it will stick.....I don't know.

Thinking about just going to revisit that 'Homicide' box set I got instead, I never really fully re-watched the whole series after I ordered it through someone here for a ridiculous wholesale price off some site.

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Fri Sep-28-12 07:10 AM

5. "Do you regret watching Thief or MoaCA?"
In response to Reply # 3

They (especially MoaCA) were great viewing experiences. Yes, cut short, but none-the-less great.

Why deprive yourself of good TV for fear of cancellation?

Don't let the Big Bang Theories and Two and a Half Mens win!!!

Terriers was cut short, but still remains one of my all-time favorite seasons of TV.

Whatever Shawn Ryan gets a chance to show us, it's going to be good.

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Thu Sep-27-12 10:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "pilot was all over the place, but good"
In response to Reply # 0

a couple of hokey moments but Braugher does his thing as usual, and Scott Speedman wasn't too bad. Don't really see how they're gonna sustain the pace of the show though, this would be much better on a cable format with 10-12 eps per season

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Sep-28-12 01:47 PM

6. "I thought the pilot was excellent"
In response to Reply # 0

Like everyone else, I wonder whether this premise can be maintained plausibly through 22 episode seasons. But the set up is great. Like someone said above, I'd watch Andre Braugher in ANYTHING. Dude was easily the best actor on television when he was on Homicide. Unfortunately, the Emmy voters were enamored with a cop show that cussed and they kept giving that isht to Dennis Franz. But that's neither here nor there. Unlike "Revolution", I'm all the way in on this show until ABC cancels it in mid November.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Fri Sep-28-12 02:11 PM

7. "Lost got everyone jaded!!! LOL."
In response to Reply # 0

"naive as the dry leaves on the ground looking past the trees to the blue sky asking 'why me?'" -Blu

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Sep-28-12 02:48 PM

8. "At least the Producers recognize they gotta keep up the momentum (SWIPE)"
In response to Reply # 7

Entertainment Weekly: How much of the story do you guys know at this point?

Ryan: Every reporter has asked that. You guys get bullshitted all the time by writers who say they know where they’re going and that the whole series is going to be great. We’re going to say essentially the same thing. But what really it comes down to is the episodes — they’ll either work for you or they won’t. Flashfoward was a great pilot, The Nine was a great pilot, The Event was an okay pilot. Lost was a great pilot — and it was really the only that followed through. So it can be done. We hope we’re the ones to get it done. We think we can. There’s no reason you should believe us. You’ve been lied to far too much.

Link and Full Swipe:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/last-resort-tv-show-review-shield-abc-374143

Sep 27 2012 09:47 PM ET

'Last Resort' producers on the premiere's explosive ending
by James Hibberd

The most ambitious new drama of the fall, ABC’s thriller Last Resort launched tonight from co-creators Shawn Ryan and Karl Gajdusek. Below, the duo talk about the pilot’s nuke-tastic ending, where the story is going from here, and debate the eternal dilemma: The Hunt for Red October or Das Boot? Spoilers for those who have not watched the pilot.

Entertainment Weekly: So how did this idea come about?

Gajdusek: My father was a WWII vet and I always wanted to do something in the submarine world. The modern version of these subs holds the same power that defines a nuclear nation. It’s such a powerful object.

Ryan: The idea of a global community connected by the threat of war appealed to me. The biggest thing we talked about for a long time was . We didn’t think these characters were secretly peaceniks. The people who get on these submarines are prepared to do that. So we came up with an order that’s technically correct but delivered in an irregular way… We talked to captains and were told captains are actually told to question these situations. There’s a reason why these decisions are not computerized, like in War Games.

Gajdusek: Getting that moment right made the series right.

Was the concept tough to sell to networks?

Ryan: A lot of people still think there can’t be women on submarines. A couple people we pitched it to were like, ‘Oh you’re going to have a show without any women on it?’ … There’s a fear I have that people will see this as a military show for guys. We consider this a very emotional epic. What we’re striving for is the stories like the ones James Cameron has told in these world’s in crisis like Titanic and Avatar.

How much of the show will be on the island vs. the boat?

Gajdusek: They need the power of the boat and the eyes and ears of the station. So they will move back and forth.

Ryan: It’s about 60 percent island, 20 percent submarine and 20 percent D.C.

How much of the story do you guys know at this point?

Ryan: Every reporter has asked that. You guys get bullshitted all the time by writers who say they know where they’re going and that the whole series is going to be great. We’re going to say essentially the same thing. But what really it comes down to is the episodes — they’ll either work for you or they won’t. Flashfoward was a great pilot, The Nine was a great pilot, The Event was an okay pilot. Lost was a great pilot — and it was really the only that followed through. So it can be done. We hope we’re the ones to get it done. We think we can. There’s no reason you should believe us. You’ve been lied to far too much.

What’s your all-time favorite submarine movie?

Gajdusek: I’d say Das Boot.

Ryan: Das Boot is pretty great. I like Hunt for Red October. Another one I hadn’t even heard of was On the Beach with Gregory Peck. What’s great about that, and it’s a little similar to our thing, is there’s people on the island and they go back and forth. It’s a depressing movie; the whole world dies.

Red October and Das Boot are great. But the one that always pulls me in when it’s on cable is Crimson Tide, which also has some similarities to your pilot. Could Capt. Chaplin really fire a nuke and the U.S. would be powerless to stop it?

Ryan: can’t stop it once they’ve given them the codes. A lot of this information is classified. Are there some safety mechanisms that the government has? Perhaps. But they’re not public knowledge.

Gajdusek: The subject has actually been debated in Congress.

Doesn’t having the missile strike the ocean prove, though, that the captain wasn’t seriously targeting D.C.? Wouldn’t it have made the point better to blow it up before it reached its target, because then Washington wouldn’t have known for sure…

Ryan: His language is very specific: ‘I have a bird heading toward DC,’ not at DC.

Gajdusek: If he had blown it up, would have thought, ‘That guy is too crazy.’ This is the correct amount of crazy. This way it doesn’t harm anyone.

Well, unless you’re on a fishing boat.

Ryan: We have discussed the fishing boat scenario. We have decided, as showrunner gods, that there was no fishing boat … now watch, the final episode of the series, the widow of the fisherman comes in — boom boom boom!

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-18-12 03:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Gajdusek"
In response to Reply # 8

Do you think that's pronounced "gadzooks"? If so, it would be one of the best names ever.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Oct-19-12 05:35 PM

13. "LOL! I think it's "Gadusek" The "j" is silent"
In response to Reply # 12

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Fri Oct-05-12 09:14 AM

9. "I'm all in on this show"
In response to Reply # 0

Not a great second episode, but many critics have said the third one pics up the quality quite a bit.

And there was still enough good stuff in there to keep me entertained. This has potential to be a killer role for Braugher if they explore the sanity of his character and leave his motivations in a bit vague.

The more I think about it, the more this seems like The Shield with a different shell on top. The sub crew's situation is a lot like the strike team's. That just gives me more faith that Ryan can stretch this out for the long haul.

aScribe
Member since Jul 13th 2005
815 posts
Thu Oct-18-12 12:25 PM

10. "Excellent show..."
In response to Reply # 0

I've heard the criticisms about the premise being unrealistic or other smaller show elements, but, for me, this has made for some great appointment television. The acting's solid and the plot's engaging.

I'm in for the long haul. Hopefully ABC is in too, despite the ratings (from what I understand).

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Thu Oct-18-12 03:06 PM

11. "this shit is crazy boring."
In response to Reply # 0

so they nuked pakistan and the atmosphere is still all laid back

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Fri Oct-19-12 06:35 PM

14. "Last Resort is a must watch for me every week"
In response to Reply # 0

that and Walking Dead are the only non sports shows i make sure i watch.

Acting from everyone is ridiculously good, premise is good, tho i hope they don't drag it out over multiple seasons (which i'm sure they will).

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Fri Oct-19-12 06:57 PM

15. "you gotta be fucking kidding me"
In response to Reply # 14

I've never ever seen any show anywhere with worse acting.

that bitch playing the army wife at home raging against the media gave a monologue that wouldn't play at your local high school.

the naive chick on the island?

terrible.

the native island chick? she couldn't act when she was on Dollhouse either.

the slacker marine or whateveR?
sucks dick.

the main character white guy???

HE HAS FEWER FACIAL EXPRESSIONS THAN FUCKING COMMON

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

aScribe
815 posts
Sat Nov-17-12 05:29 PM

16. "Noooooo...it's been cancelled (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/16/last-resort-666-cancelled/

ABC cancels '666,' 'Last Resort'
by James Hibberd

sad day for fans of two ambitious ABC dramas that came up short in the ratings this fall: Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue will soon end their runs.

ABC will finish airing the original 13-episode orders for both shows, but neither will receive a full-season pickup.

For 666, the writing has been on the wall for weeks. The Sunday-night supernatural drama starring Terry O’Quinn has been shedding its Revenge lead-in and been on a downward spiral since its debut.

For Last Resort, the news is somewhat surprising. Though its ratings matched the performance of 666, Shawn Ryan’s submarine thriller was one of the best-reviewed new fall shows and, until very recently, insiders were betting it would get a “back nine” order. But Last Resort struggled against very steep competition in its 8 p.m. slot and the show’s ratings ticked down a little further last night.

Oftentimes freshman series cancellations are met with a fair amount of online jeering (there wasn’t much disappointment over CBS’ Made In Jersey or NBC’s Animal Practice getting the axe). But these two are a bummer. Understandable, given the numbers, but a bummer. Both creatively tried to bring something new to broadcast primetime rather than rely on familiar drama formulas. Even if you’re not a fan of these shows, you can respect the effort behind them.
As with last year’s Pan Am, ABC is retaining its option to revive either show for next season. So if midseason shows like Red Widow and Zero Hour perform worse than these two and the network’s pilot season goes poorly, there’s a chance one or both could be resuscitated. It happened to CBS’ Unforgettable, which was cancelled last season and then later announced to return next summer. But the example of Pan Am is far more typical. (The Red Widow pilot is quite good but, then again, I also loved the pilot for Last Resort).

The news comes on the heels of CBS cancelling its freshman sitcom Partners (which veers more toward the “online-jeering” category). Two other ABC freshman shows have survived the winter cut: Country drama Nashville and wacky aliens sitcom The Neighbors previously received full-season orders.

Here’s how ABC’s freshman dramas stacked up in the ratings after you include DVR:

Nashville = 9.4 million viewers and a 3.2 in 18-49
Last Resort = 9.2 million and 2.4 in 18-49
666 Park Avenue = 6.7 million and 2.4 in 18-49

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Nov-18-12 06:29 AM

17. "I LOL'd at the screen when he said 'test us' in the trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

I've never seen it because I'm usually working when it's on but I knew it wouldn't make it just off the premise and the way the pre-commercial rolled out

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Mon Dec-17-12 06:11 PM

18. "I watched them all this weekend"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-17-12 06:12 PM by handle

I think they're not let Pembleton do his full thing.

We get it occasionally - but they need to use him more.

Also, they should just kill Julian. He's , thus far, kidnapped 3 people, killed one of those, burn the COB's feet, had a man put an explosive vest on a sailor, put hallucinogenic agents in the water supply, fixed a jury trail, tazed the XO, supplied drugs to the local drug dealers, and a bunch of more shit.

Silly to not take him out.

And they should air the alst two episodes this week and next - not delay until January.

aScribe
815 posts
Thu Jan-31-13 09:49 AM

19. "And so it ends..."
In response to Reply # 0

Sad to see it go. And although you could tell the last several eps were written with the knowledge of cancellation (i.e., hurried plot lines, out-of-character moments, etc.), I thought the show had promise and could have lasted longer.

Ah, well.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #626346 Previous topic | Next topic