Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #613902

Subject: "Warner Bros. hires screenwriter for "Justice League" (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 05:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Warner Bros. hires screenwriter for "Justice League" (swipe)"

I can't stop laughing.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2NS9E3/www.examiner.com/article/warner-bros-hires-screenwriter-for-justice-league-movie

Warner Bros. Hires Screenwriter For 'Justice League' Movie
0 Email
Adam Bernstein's photo
Adam Bernstein
Orlando Comic Books Examiner
+ Subscribe

Based on the monster success of Disney and Marvel Studios’ The Avengers, it should come as no surprise that DC Comics and Warner Bros. have decided to up their game and begin working on combining their own franchises; focusing first on Justice League. According to a report from Variety, Warner Bros. has hired Gangster Squad writer Will Beall to pen a new script for a Justice League movie. In fact, it’s been revealed that the studio hired Beall sometime last year while Marvel was putting the pieces together for Joss Whedon’s The Avengers.

DC and Warner Bros’ success with their superhero franchises seem to pale in comparison when one looks at the track records for Marvel’s films, particularly when you look at the huge success Marvel pulled off by bridging their films together. Outside of Superman, Batman and a somewhat disappointing Green Lantern film, the studio has yet to bridge together their properties for, what could be, a blockbuster to rival The Avengers. The possibility of a real contender may become a reality soon with the news that Michael Goldenberg is currently working on a Wonder Woman script while Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green are already working on s screenplay for The Flash.

Ironically, all of these writers were the ones responsible for the Green Lantern film, so we’ve got out fingers crossed that they’ve learned from their past mistakes and can do these two properties justice.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This'll never get made.
Jun 06th 2012
COMING JANUARY 2016...
Jun 06th 2012
      please JANUARY 2020
Jun 06th 2012
           They're rebooting Batman after The Dark Knight rises
Jun 06th 2012
                RE: They're rebooting Batman after The Dark Knight rises
Jun 07th 2012
yessss....gooood....i hope this is the nail in the coffin for these movi...
Jun 06th 2012
LOL @ "let's get creative Hollywood." Idealistic, aren't we?
Jun 06th 2012
As if it's Hollywood's fault that movies are uncreative.
Jun 06th 2012
How bout you just don't fuckin watch them?
Jun 06th 2012
What? Naw man, Superheroes are made for blockbuster movies...
Jun 07th 2012
umm....no.
Jun 08th 2012
They should have kept the old idea
Jun 06th 2012
As I posted in GD, there's only one way for this to work
Jun 06th 2012
(to summerize, we discussed how this unfortunately wouldn't work for a
Jun 07th 2012
Anyone think this could NEVER work as well as Avengers?
Jun 06th 2012
plat post in GD on Avengers discussing this.
Jun 06th 2012
It could work as well, if not better.
Jun 07th 2012
      DC writers have been "consultants" on all of their recent movies.
Jun 07th 2012
it's wild how DC kills it on the animated market, but can't in live acti...
Jun 06th 2012
because it's not DC making any of this. It's Warner Bros.
Jun 06th 2012
      Soooo, S:TAS was a flop then?
Jun 06th 2012
           When I say "Warner Bros. Pictures", I mean the live-action feature studi...
Jun 06th 2012
                Gotcha, and agreed
Jun 07th 2012
                but DC IS WB...despite separate divisions for this and that,,,,
Jun 07th 2012
                     You're making sense. Entertainment management does not often make sense.
Jun 07th 2012
Not surprising. They almost filmed a JL movie a few years ago
Jun 07th 2012
Mark Millar Describes Justice League Script (swipe)
Jun 07th 2012
I hope this thing collapses into a crater in the middle of a desert
Jun 07th 2012
Good. As long as 'serious' doesn't mean 'oppressively dark'.
Jun 07th 2012
Uwe Boll signed on to direct
Jun 08th 2012
I'd be down for Batman vs. The Justice League
Jun 08th 2012
POSTJACK: What lineup would you use for the JLA movie?
Jun 08th 2012
Basically the cartoon cast minus Hawkgirl.
Jun 08th 2012
Nope! Darkseid is off the table now.
Jun 08th 2012
This would be a great discussion topic on LongandLate sometime
Jun 08th 2012
use the Big Seven to keep it small and manageable
Jun 08th 2012
Dunno how others feel about them, but I find Hal & Barry boring.
Jun 08th 2012
      Barry is a straight man, he's not boring in the slightest
Jun 10th 2012
Supposedly it's just going to be
Jan 25th 2013

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 06:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This'll never get made."
In response to Reply # 0

IF it does, it'll sit on the shelf.
IF it gets released, it'll suck.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

b.Touch
20514 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 06:07 PM

2. "COMING JANUARY 2016..."
In response to Reply # 1

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 07:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "please JANUARY 2020"
In response to Reply # 2

after all the stop and starts, development hell, dozens of screenwriters being fired, hired and rehired to write the script, casting, cast salaries, etc.

it wont get made.

or if it does, IT.WILL.SUCK

I mean, damn, Batman? Um, so won't a quarter of the budget to go Christian Bale's salary + a percentage of the gross?! LOL!

this won't get made. oh well. Marvel is *defecating* ALL OVER DC.

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 08:01 PM

6. "They're rebooting Batman after The Dark Knight rises"
In response to Reply # 3

So it won't be Bale.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 10:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "RE: They're rebooting Batman after The Dark Knight rises"
In response to Reply # 6

>So it won't be Bale.

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

for real? seriously...*who* would play him then?

or would they go the Azrael route where he takes over for him?

and what about the *potential spoiler* of, allegedly, Ellen Page doing a cameo as Commissioner Gordon's daughter *precursor to Batgirl*?

man...nothing against Michael Keaton (but TOTALLY AGAINST Val Kilmer and nippletastic George Clooney), but Christian Bale kinda *owns* the role...but he would be too old to play him though (Bale would be in his mid 40s at that time).....

but i guess we won't know until 2020 when it comes out! *SICE FOOLS! SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!*

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 07:54 PM

4. "yessss....gooood....i hope this is the nail in the coffin for these movi..."
In response to Reply # 0

I hope Ironman 3 is the last of the great ones.

please no more superhero movies. lets get creative hollywood.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 08:20 PM

8. "LOL @ "let's get creative Hollywood." Idealistic, aren't we?"
In response to Reply # 4

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 08:22 PM

9. "As if it's Hollywood's fault that movies are uncreative."
In response to Reply # 4

If audiences stopped buying tickets en masse to sequels, Hollywood would stop making them. But that won't happen and hasn't ever happened-- audiences love and have loved and will love familiar stories, remakes, reboots, prequels, and sequels forever. So it'll carry on.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

lc ceo
Member since Jan 19th 2012
1681 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 09:50 PM

11. "How bout you just don't fuckin watch them?"
In response to Reply # 4

>I hope Ironman 3 is the last of the great ones.
>
>please no more superhero movies. lets get creative hollywood.

How bout you just focus on watching shit that *you* like instead of hoping shit a LOT of other people like doesn't happen?

In fact, you don't have to be bothered by these flicks right now, because you can just watch a bunch of other shit that's come out that's been pretty good, because there's actually a lot of good movies out there that aren't superhero flicks.

It's highly irritating when people who don't like something sit there and talk about how that thing (whatever it is) should stop being made, as though they have no choice but to watch/listen/eat/otherwise consume it. Just fucking avoid the shit you don't like.

Taye DiggumSmacks
Member since Feb 17th 2010
1435 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 03:02 PM

24. "What? Naw man, Superheroes are made for blockbuster movies..."
In response to Reply # 4

...when done right of course. Eventually they'll slow down some as we tire of the major heroes, but there's still a wealth of material to work with. Alot of people, including myself, love them. As long as they continue to focus on the quality as well as the action, I'm all for them.

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Fri Jun-08-12 04:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
29. "umm....no. "
In response to Reply # 4

Most superhero movies are excellent

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 08:01 PM

5. "They should have kept the old idea"
In response to Reply # 0

Superman goes on rampage after Lois Lane is murdered and the Justice League has to come together to stop him.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 08:03 PM

7. "As I posted in GD, there's only one way for this to work"
In response to Reply # 0

DC Animated does the big screen movie.

That's it.

Bring in Conroy
Bring in Daly (or Newbern)
Bring in Eisenberg

Bringthe whole damn gang back together. Then you can do a JL movie proper.

Doing a live action JL movie would be nearly impossible as none of the characters have been established in a related world (not to mention half the characted haven't even hit the big screen in a live action movie to begin with). Whereas with the animates series, that link has already been set, fleshed out, and bounds with really great character and story arcs.

Any other way would be complete, utter, bankrupting suicide.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

b.Touch
20514 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 08:08 PM

27. "(to summerize, we discussed how this unfortunately wouldn't work for a"
In response to Reply # 7

feature UNLESS the film was CGI and in 3D...

...but then, who to hire as the production studio?)

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 08:25 PM

10. "Anyone think this could NEVER work as well as Avengers?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-06-12 08:25 PM by Frank Longo

Not because of talent attached or whatever, but just because the Justice League's powers seem less easily translatable to live-action cinema. How will Flash not be totally lame? I'm extremely interested (and hopeful) in seeing how the writers make that work. How will Green Lantern's ring power and space adventures not be totally lame? Could anyone take a Martian Manhunter or Wonder Woman depiction in live action seriously?

I realize since I was so skeptical about Asgard working and I thought it worked quite well that in the right hands anything could work, I suppose... but JLA just looks very cartoony in my brain when I try to envision it in live action. Lots of formidable challenges in the transition between mediums-- harder challenges than a robosuit or a cowl and shield.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 10:29 PM

13. "plat post in GD on Avengers discussing this."
In response to Reply # 10

I think this is a bad idea.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 12:11 PM

21. "It could work as well, if not better."
In response to Reply # 10

The secret though is having comic people involved. These recent Marvel films work as well as they do largely because Marvel has a hand in making it. Not just that, but the success of the AVENGERS has a lot to do with Joss writing and directing that film. He's done work in comics. He respects the medium. He wasn't trying to "deconstruct it" or make it "real world."

As was already stated, DC doesn't work these properties in film, WB does. If the Brothers Warner were smart, they'd immediately get Dan DiDio on the phone and start mining the DC staff for consultants. A JLA movie will have three of biggest Superheroes of all time. It's already got that going for it. It doesn't have to sell too much stupid shit. I agree about Green Lantern looking dumb live action, bu I think the rest of the characters will totally work. You worry about the Flash, where as, I feel like the Flash could be this movie's Hulk, in that he's the surprise best character that shouldn't work.

I honestly think the only thing that could fuck this up is if they think they're better than the medium and start trying to change shit or make it "real."

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

b.Touch
20514 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 08:14 PM

28. "DC writers have been "consultants" on all of their recent movies."
In response to Reply # 21

They need deeper involvement - co-writing if they can take hiatuses from some of their books for a bit to make it happen, or just hiring writers who understand comic books AND movies rather than one or the other.

Also, hiring directors & producers who understand comic books couldn't hurt. A lot of this stuff (SUPERMAN is a key example) just seems to be being overthought.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 09:54 PM

12. "it's wild how DC kills it on the animated market, but can't in live acti..."
In response to Reply # 0

and it's vice versa for Marvel...Marvel best animated piece pales in comparison to DC's, but other than bats, DC is losing in live action....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

b.Touch
20514 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 10:30 PM

14. "because it's not DC making any of this. It's Warner Bros."
In response to Reply # 12

Warner Bros. Animation has always been a strong studio since the early 1990s.

The people at Warner Bros. Pictures do not understand the DC characters beyond Batman.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 10:47 PM

15. "Soooo, S:TAS was a flop then? "
In response to Reply # 14

I think the Warner/DC teamup did the DC Universe well, for the most part (though I'm not sold on The Batman or Brave And The Bold). Either Warner got the characters, or they got out of the way of the guys that did (Timm, DIni, et al)

Either way, I think the DC Universe was much more fully realized in cartoon form than could be possible in live action. I mean, any time you can release a new character in the cartoon that becomes part of the fabric of the character (ie, Harley Quinn), you have to be doing something right...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Wed Jun-06-12 11:50 PM

16. "When I say "Warner Bros. Pictures", I mean the live-action feature studi..."
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Jun-06-12 11:52 PM by b.Touch

It's a separate division from Warner Bros. Animation with a different chain of command (WBA is part of the TV division).

The folks at Animation understood DC characters because they let Bruce Timm & Paul Dini establish the DC Animated Universe from the ground up when the animation studio was relatively young. Many of the folks who worked under or with those folks are in management at Animation now.

Not so with Warner Bros. Pictures. They know Harry Potter and The Matrix. They know "regular" live action films. They don't even understand their corporate icons, the Looney Tunes, let alone the DC characters. These are the folks who made "Wild Wild West" and "Yogi Bear", for Christ's sake.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 12:07 PM

20. "Gotcha, and agreed"
In response to Reply # 16

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 03:34 PM

25. "but DC IS WB...despite separate divisions for this and that,,,,"
In response to Reply # 16

i get what you're saying, but the live action divison needs to get more consulting from either the animated divison or DC comics writers....Marvel has a more in house approach IMO, but DC could benefit from making sure that WB pictures isn't just doing whatever they can think up when making a product that HAS a built in fanbase and lore....what they're doing for the live action comics isn't really working....how many flops does it take to figure out that it isn't bats it hasn't sold??

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

b.Touch
20514 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 08:05 PM

26. "You're making sense. Entertainment management does not often make sense."
In response to Reply # 25

They put the lady in charge of the direct to video division at WB in charge of their new "DC Entertainment", created in the wake of Disney's purchase of Marvel. That says a lot.

A lot of it can't be anything more than corporate hubris (i.e. "Warner Bros. turns out all these other films each year, HOW DARE YOU imply we can't figure how to make these comic book movies work!") even in the face of failure.

If they appoint someone who actually works at DC to lead DC Entertainment instead of one of "their" people, maybe we'll see the change we seek.

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 09:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Not surprising. They almost filmed a JL movie a few years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

Had a script, a cast, and a director if I'm not mistaken.

I forget who was playing who but I remember Common was cast as John Stewart.

Regardless, there's no way it can be as successful (critically or financially) as Avengers, but there's also no way they weren't going to try.

What I don't understand is why they're starting a script now when they seem to be in no way set up for this type of movie. I would think Batman would have to be rebooted first and Flash and WW at least introduced, and they're years away from all of that. So what good is a script for JL right now?

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 10:53 AM

19. "Mark Millar Describes Justice League Script (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

DC Comics and Warner Bros. are following in the footsteps of Marvel Studios’ The Avengers by resurrecting their defunct Justice League movie. The recent announcement that writer Will Beall has been working on the Justice League script for some time was exciting enough for comic fans; today, we actually have first word on what Beall’s script is like.

Of course, you may want to take or leave the forthcoming impression of Beall’s work, given the source.

Comic book scribe Mark Millar (Wanted, Kick-Ass) is talking up Beall’s Justice League script, which he apparently knows about through a guy who knows the guy (hence the ‘take it or leave it warning). This is what Millar posted on his own forum:

"A pal of mine is good friends with the new Justice League screenwriter and said his take on the team is incredible. Very real-world and not at all what you might expect. WB has a chequered history with their superhero characters. They’re great with their boy wizards, but less consistent with their DC stable. But my chum said that this could be a thing of beauty and has been in the works for a little while now, not just an Avengers knock-off. Best of luck to them. The tidbits I heard sound quite dark and mature, which isn’t what I expected. But word on Gangster Squad is great too, so I feel this is in really good hands."

If you’ve been reading any of our coverage of Kick-Ass 2 (the upcoming sequel to Millar’s hit comic-turned-film), then you already know how we feel about the guy. SPOILER ALERT: He tends to talk a lot of things up – only some of those things turn out to be accurate. Hearing about something ‘from somebody who knows somebody’ is already pushing us into ‘Whisper Down the Lane’ territory; but, from a geek perspective, there’s good incentive to believe in Millar’s assessment.

While The Avengers has been overwhelmingly well-received by geeks and non-geeks alike, I think that true comic book aficionados would expect something different from Justice League. Somehow, I just don’t see Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman sitting around joking like Tony Stark, Captain America and Thor. That’s all to say: The tone of a Justice League movie should probably be different and (gasp!) more serious. After all, the League members are basically like the Gods of Olympus, with a cynical human (Batman) constantly worrying about their combined power. Way different than a bunch of sci-fi-themed misfits trying to function together.

What kind of tone and style do you think a Justice League movie should have? Light and fun like Avengers; dark and realistic like the Nolan Batman films? Or something else entirely?

source: http://screenrant.com/kickass-creator-mark-millar-talks-justice-league-script-kofi-177661/

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 12:52 PM

22. "I hope this thing collapses into a crater in the middle of a desert"
In response to Reply # 19

sounds like a steaming pile of ish

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Thu Jun-07-12 01:58 PM

23. "Good. As long as 'serious' doesn't mean 'oppressively dark'. "
In response to Reply # 19

I like my comic movies serious.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Fri Jun-08-12 12:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "Uwe Boll signed on to direct"
In response to Reply # 0

That's how much faith I have in this film. I wish DC and WB would just stop it. Locked down the animated market but stay away from live action please.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Fri Jun-08-12 01:04 PM

31. "I'd be down for Batman vs. The Justice League"
In response to Reply # 0

Honestly, his presence is the only thing that makes the idea of the Justice League interesting to me.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Jun-08-12 01:30 PM

32. "POSTJACK: What lineup would you use for the JLA movie?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-08-12 01:32 PM by Frank Longo

Let's assume we don't get full movies for characters other than Superman and Batman (and the previous Green Lantern film) before they crank out a JLA film.

What characters do you want to see? How many do you think need full films BEFORE the JLA film, and which ones can be introduced as part of the blockbuster gathering?

-I think Wonder Woman would need a flick first to really click, but she's obviously going to be in it.
-If there's a new Batman, I wonder if we need a flick first, otherwise there's no way people would accept him over Bale.
-Flash and Aquaman probably don't need a flick first-- JLA appearance first then spinoff flicks would be doable.
-Not sure I'd include Martian Manhunter off the bat. Sequel?
-I've always kinda liked Green Arrow... but my inclination is no. I could be sold on him.
-People have always tossed around the idea of Plastic Man being involved... um, no.
-Unless they roll with John Stewart, a black hero would be nice... Black Lightning?

-What villain do you roll with off the bat? Do you start with someone established like Lex teaming up with some other known commodity? Or do you go Darkseid from the jump and swing for the fences?

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Jun-08-12 02:14 PM

33. "Basically the cartoon cast minus Hawkgirl."
In response to Reply # 32

The big 3 (Supes, Bats, WW) plus Flash (Wally West), Green Lantern (John Stewart), and the Martian Manhunter. No Aquaman.

The villain has to be Darkseid, to warrant all of these demigods & talented humans to come together to save humanity as...the Justice League.

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Fri Jun-08-12 02:27 PM

34. "Nope! Darkseid is off the table now."
In response to Reply # 33

This already feels like a cheap imitation (even though it's been in the pipeline forever), and the average non-comic person is just gonna see Darkseid as Gobot Thanos.

Spin Zod and nem off from the Man of Steel movie or something.

A JL movie is gonna have a huge perception problem to overcome. The more different it is fron Avengers, the better.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Fri Jun-08-12 04:15 PM

35. "This would be a great discussion topic on LongandLate sometime"

>Let's assume we don't get full movies for characters other
>than Superman and Batman (and the previous Green Lantern film)
>before they crank out a JLA film.
I don't think it has a chance UNLESS there are full movies

>What characters do you want to see? How many do you think need
>full films BEFORE the JLA film, and which ones can be
>introduced as part of the blockbuster gathering?
I don't think it CAN work without some independent full flicks. Anticipation has to be built for it. As dope as Avengers one, widespread anticipation wouldn't be for shit without Marvel having given intro movies to the big four. Same needs to be done for this. Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman. AT LEAST.

>-I think Wonder Woman would need a flick first to really
>click, but she's obviously going to be in it.
She does, for some reason, I think she's like THE most important one. A woman hasn't shared top billing in a super hero format, in terms of power as well as story development. They gotta get it right with her. She's an iconic figure in American pop culture so if they rock the shit right, it can really set them up nicely.

>-If there's a new Batman, I wonder if we need a flick first,
>otherwise there's no way people would accept him over Bale.
HAVE to be. I think it needs to show him developing his technology on a much higher level too, so that by the time of the JL flick, it's a more natural progression and more equal footing between him and the super-beings. Right now, Bale's Batman isn't even close. Less "gritty realism", more comic book "enhanced ridiculous gadgetry and machinery"

>-Flash and Aquaman probably don't need a flick first-- JLA
>appearance first then spinoff flicks would be doable.
Agreed. Although I don't know if Aquaman needs a solo flick. He's fucking underwater, that's his main shit. Flash would be a little more suitable for it.

>-Not sure I'd include Martian Manhunter off the bat. Sequel?
hmmmm....I think he could be intro'ed but don't think he could ever carry a stand alone flick.

>-I've always kinda liked Green Arrow... but my inclination is
>no. I could be sold on him.
He'd unfortunately be a hawkeye doppelganger without enough distance and distinction

>-People have always tossed around the idea of Plastic Man
>being involved... um, no.
um double fuck that shit

>-Unless they roll with John Stewart, a black hero would be
>nice... Black Lightning?

>-What villain do you roll with off the bat? Do you start with
>someone established like Lex teaming up with some other known
>commodity? Or do you go Darkseid from the jump and swing for
>the fences?
I would definitely bring out LOD, led by Lex. They have plenty of good ones to pick from. Darkseid needs to wait until they get more team members because he's just too fucking powerful.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Fri Jun-08-12 07:11 PM

36. "use the Big Seven to keep it small and manageable"

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Green Lantern (Hal)
The Flash (Barry)
Martian Manhunter

you can't get crazy with the lineup in a movie like this
a CGI Martian Manhunter would be incredible onscreen, shapeshifting and Martian visioning niggas thru walls and shit?
cmon now
going the super-realistic route will sink this film QUICK

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Jun-08-12 08:17 PM

37. "Dunno how others feel about them, but I find Hal & Barry boring."
In response to Reply # 36

Geoff Johns has done a lot of work on them recently, but I really think replacing one or the other with their alternate would bring more personality to the piece.

Push coming to shove, I might keep Hal Jordan and bring in Wally West instead of Barry Allen.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Jun-10-12 08:00 PM

38. "Barry is a straight man, he's not boring in the slightest"
In response to Reply # 37

he doesn't have to have an extreme personality like everyone else on the JL, he's the perfect balance between them all and that makes him interesting
neither Kyle nor Wally belong in the role of League founders

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 02:10 PM

39. "Supposedly it's just going to be"

Supes, Batman, WW, Green Lantern and Flash.

Not sure how credible this is.

http://latino-review.com/2013/01/24/exclusive-meet-final-5-members-justice-league-final-cut/

I'd like to see Martian Manhunter or Green Arrow in there, but maybe that's best left for a sequel. I do hope they take the time and establish some of the "lesser" characters so they can be used in future DC movies.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #613902 Previous topic | Next topic