Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #605253

Subject: "Savages (Stone, 2012)" Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Savages (Stone, 2012)"

Trailer

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movie-trailers/756692/savages.jhtml#id=1682549

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Was Tony Scott busy?
Apr 05th 2012
Wow. Just realized that was Kick-Ass
Apr 05th 2012
http://i.imgur.com/oeqTY.gif
Apr 05th 2012
did Tony Scott do an invasion of the body snatchers on Stone?
Apr 06th 2012
The trailer reminded me of "U-Turn"
Jul 05th 2012
Very dissapointing
Jul 05th 2012
i waanted to see it, but then
Jul 06th 2012
Question/Possible SPOILER
Jul 07th 2012
RE: Question/Possible SPOILER
Jul 07th 2012
      Yes and no?
Jul 07th 2012
           Yes and no *spoilers*
Jul 08th 2012
You just flat weren't paying attention and ignoring context.
Jul 15th 2012
Is Oliver Stone back on his old style (JFK,NBK etc)?
Jul 06th 2012
Of course they sent the black guy.
Jul 07th 2012
this whole time I thought Taylor Kitsch was Paul Walker
Jul 07th 2012
Benico Del Toro stole the show
Jul 08th 2012
Benico Del Toro should receive 100% of the profits from the movie.
Jul 12th 2012
Terrible storytelling. No change. Little action.
Jul 08th 2012
Blake Lively's character was annoying as fuck...
Jul 08th 2012
Preach!
Jul 12th 2012
RE: Savages (Stone, 2012)
Jul 09th 2012
wtf, this was the pits
Jul 09th 2012
HORIBBLE. Stone should get stoned (biblicaly speaking).
Jul 12th 2012
I'm sorry, y'all, but I liked this flick
Jul 15th 2012
You should check out Kings Of Cool, the prequel
Jul 15th 2012
Yeah, I definitely agree with this.
Jul 16th 2012
I laughed when Hayek's big trailer line wasn't the same
Jul 16th 2012
im sorry..."Hand Job Johnny"? lolll
May 06th 2013
Blakes voiceover was awful to me
Mar 27th 2013
who thought making this movie was a good idea?
May 05th 2013
horrible--
May 05th 2013
Benecio & AJ kept my interest. Blake & Taylor were terrible.
May 06th 2013

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 03:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Was Tony Scott busy?"
In response to Reply # 0

Looks like Ollie's got bills to pay/good will to build so he can make his next message movie.

Still, it doesn't look terrible. Could be a nice actioner like Man on Fire or something like that.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 06:15 PM

3. "Wow. Just realized that was Kick-Ass"
In response to Reply # 1

Kid's done some growing up.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 03:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "http://i.imgur.com/oeqTY.gif"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-05-12 03:27 PM by bignick

"Seven of my men are dead!"

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:07 AM

4. "did Tony Scott do an invasion of the body snatchers on Stone?"
In response to Reply # 0

looks nice

also seems as though i'll be laughing AT IT

and please tell me i'm not the only one who laughed when Salma Hayek rolled thru on the trailer

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Jul-05-12 09:08 PM

6. "The trailer reminded me of "U-Turn""
In response to Reply # 4

And Stone also wrote Scarface so he knows how to make that cheese.

----

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu Jul-05-12 06:37 PM

5. "Very dissapointing"
In response to Reply # 0

The way they wrapped thing up was stupid and I greatly preferred the false ending to this.

What started off very strongly quickly dissolved into trash. Also, the whole kidnapping didn't make sense in the grand scheme of things if the boys practically handed over their business to the cartel on a silver platter. Why not just kill them and not pay them?

Also I wanted *SPOILER* Benico Del Toro to die. He was a scumbag rapist and for him to get away was shitty. *END SPOILER*

Also, Aaron Johnson's character got on my nerves. After a while you gotta stop being a bitch and man up and handle business. Seriously, I was like stop being Bono and grab a gat. Violence comes with drug dealing...

And the last part of the voice over where O goes "I don't know if 3 people can truly love each other" and I was like you that line destroyed the whole purpose of this movie. It was supposed to show just how far these 3 are willing to go for each other and how devoted they are. Fuck this shit.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

MosCommonThought
Member since Jun 11th 2003
281 posts
Fri Jul-06-12 10:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "i waanted to see it, but then"
In response to Reply # 5

i read ebert's review and he touched on a few things you mentioned and i heard similar things from someone else, so i'll just save my money and time and catch it on a sick day when it hits netflix or hbo.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sat Jul-07-12 02:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Question/Possible SPOILER"
In response to Reply # 5

so did Blake's character die in the end or what?

I'm *real* on the fence about this one...the movie has actors in it that I love (Hayek, del Toro and Travolta) but the movie is featuring John Carter and I just can't see him act in a movie. I just can't...

Lively and Johnston are fine..but Kitsch...#FAIL

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sat Jul-07-12 03:47 AM

10. "RE: Question/Possible SPOILER"
In response to Reply # 9

Yes and no.

It's a rental at best.

----

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sat Jul-07-12 04:54 PM

13. "Yes and no?"
In response to Reply # 10

did she get popped or not?

because the narration in the trailer is a #fail to me...

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Sun Jul-08-12 10:57 AM

15. "Yes and no *spoilers*"
In response to Reply # 13
Sun Jul-08-12 10:57 AM by bwood

No. They all live. In the false ending they all died. The false ending is 10x better cause the real ending was humorous and abrupt. Fuck this movie.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

lc ceo
Member since Jan 19th 2012
1681 posts
Sun Jul-15-12 04:37 PM

23. "You just flat weren't paying attention and ignoring context. "
In response to Reply # 5

>And the last part of the voice over where O goes "I don't know
>if 3 people can truly love each other" and I was like you that
>line destroyed the whole purpose of this movie. It was
>supposed to show just how far these 3 are willing to go for
>each other and how devoted they are. Fuck this shit.

The line didn't destroy anything. It gave us perspective on their situation. Elena told her they obviously didn't love her as much as they loved each other. O said "I don't know of three people can truly love each other EQUALLY". Equally being vital to interpreting this statement. Like, without that word it takes on different context entirely.

She's basically accepting the bond Ben and Chon have as being greater than what either of them has for her.... but this is after what we just saw, which was Ben and Chon doing to extremes to save her. Clearly, they love her a great deal.... just not as much as they love each other. O accepted that. It can be argued that the bond the two have is what allowed them to go through all that together to save her.

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Fri Jul-06-12 10:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Is Oliver Stone back on his old style (JFK,NBK etc)?"
In response to Reply # 0

The black & white - flashback within a scene - crazy camera stuff. I really enjoyed that and he hasn't done it so much since Any Given Sunday..

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sat Jul-07-12 03:58 AM

11. "Of course they sent the black guy."
In response to Reply # 0

I was laughing when they sent the one black dude to go as protection for the obviously about to be kidnapped Lively.

The movie was average at best but good lord the narration was unnecessary especially since most of it was to set up a relationship that had no tension and characters who were basic archetypes.

And while Johnson and Kitsch were good enough, Benicio (not surprisingly) stole the show. I couldn't help but wonder what he did to not get lead roles or if he just doesn't want them. He made Demian Bechir look like a day player.

And good to see the evil dude from The Ropes getting a role.

----

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Sat Jul-07-12 12:30 PM

12. "this whole time I thought Taylor Kitsch was Paul Walker"
In response to Reply # 0

smh

--------

theBIGguy
Charter member
418 posts
Sun Jul-08-12 01:43 AM

14. "Benico Del Toro stole the show"
In response to Reply # 0

Benico Del Toro acting is worth the rental price, if you can catch this for cheap during the day, do it beyond that wait for redbox.

That voice over was the mostly pointless, it didn't bring anything to the table at all and kind of kills the ending. the false ending made more sense, the real ending felt like the end to a different version of this film, a more humorous version.

It's a wrap for Taylor Kitsch moviewise, John Carter, Battleship, and now this. get him back to tv fast

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.-Tyler Durden

Yadgyu
Member since May 31st 2006
8856 posts
Thu Jul-12-12 06:55 PM

21. "Benico Del Toro should receive 100% of the profits from the movie."
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Jul-12-12 06:56 PM by Yadgyu

The other actors should be decapitated. Selma Hayek included.

----
----
----
----
----

GET ON MY LEVEL!

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sun Jul-08-12 06:29 PM

16. "Terrible storytelling. No change. Little action."
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't care for it one bit.

My review: http://wp.me/pgW2t-Yv

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

da_illest_one
Member since Apr 09th 2005
1761 posts
Sun Jul-08-12 09:20 PM

17. "Blake Lively's character was annoying as fuck..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jul-08-12 09:35 PM by da_illest_one

Slight Spoiler....

I don't know if this film was meant to be realistic but there is no chance in hell that mouthy spoiled brat-ass valley girl would ever get away from a real life cartel. They would have drugged her ass up, and placed her into prostitution while continuing to get money and drugs from the two dudes and eventually kill all three of them execution style. Also, the person in charge wouldn't have dumb enough to reveal their identity via SKYPE. That shit could be used as evidence against themselves. After I saw they somehow managed to get side help from a corrupt DEA and a rat from the cartel I was disappointed in the typical Hollywood cookie cutter cop-out ending sequence...

On The Lookout 4:
some new music. WTF is going on this year?

Yadgyu
8856 posts
Thu Jul-12-12 06:58 PM

22. "Preach!"
In response to Reply # 17

----
----
----
----
----

GET ON MY LEVEL!

Li Mu Bai
Member since Sep 11th 2007
1891 posts
Mon Jul-09-12 12:28 AM

18. "RE: Savages (Stone, 2012)"
In response to Reply # 0

that looks like some bullshit and i'm pissed this is the kinda thing stone is doing now. i can't really picture myself rooting for some dudes like that to win the day.

Lebron couldn't win a chip without two superstars from his draft class. He didn't just need help. The nigga needed the cheat code to enable god mode.(c)Kira

gusto
Charter member
26878 posts
Mon Jul-09-12 02:24 AM

19. "wtf, this was the pits"
In response to Reply # 0

and the 2 endings just validated how silly this whole thing was.
and blake lively didnt even show her titties.
no real good titties at all in fact.
the barely any spanish bothered me too.

..|.,

If you still don't know what Jade Typhoon is, click here:
http://jadetyphoon.blogspot.com/ (WS)

Yadgyu
8856 posts
Thu Jul-12-12 06:53 PM

20. "HORIBBLE. Stone should get stoned (biblicaly speaking). "
In response to Reply # 0

That was one of the worst movies I saw. No wonder I only go to the movies twice a year.

If the 'Dark Knight Rises' sucks, I am peeing in my slurpee cup and throwing it at the screen.

----
----
----
----
----

GET ON MY LEVEL!

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sun Jul-15-12 10:53 PM

24. "I'm sorry, y'all, but I liked this flick"
In response to Reply # 0

The story laid out pretty much the same as it did in the book, which was fine by me

I strongly disagreed with the cop-out happy ending, though. IIRC, the book ends the same way the original ending does, with the three of them on the verge of death. This felt like someone at Universal told Winslow, Stone, and Salerno to change the ending just in case this hits and they want to do a sequel...

The movie also illuminated a central problem that I had with the book, which was that, while O says that she, Ben, and Chon love each other so much, and the whole mission was done in the name of love, it was just hard for me to buy it, because I didn't *feel* (book) or *see* (film) any semblance of love between the three of them. And I'm not talking about the chemistry between Lively, Kitsch, and Johnson, I'm talking about seeing some genuine sense of affection and bonding between the three of them (and coming off the heels of Spider-Man and seeing Garfield and Stone's chemistry didn't help this movie's case). And the scenes of them drinking Patron at the table, then getting high with an ice-filled bong don't count. I could have stood to have seen a couple more minutes of backstory detailing how these 3 bonded and came together. Because as the story stands now, I kept wondering why these cats were doing so much to rescue a f*ck toy. Well, that's pretty much what she was.

Those problems aside, I enjoyed the movie. No, I did. I thought that Benecio Del Toro was very good, but so was Travolta. NOPE! Hand Job Johnny delivered! And I loved Salma hamming it up as well.

I dunno, I thought it was a simple, brutal and fun ride. I didn't think too hard about it, during or afterwards. *shrugs*

lc ceo
Member since Jan 19th 2012
1681 posts
Sun Jul-15-12 11:48 PM

25. "You should check out Kings Of Cool, the prequel"
In response to Reply # 24

Haven't gotten to that one yet but I hear it fleshes that bonding element real well.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Mon Jul-16-12 06:01 AM

26. "Yeah, I definitely agree with this."

>The movie also illuminated a central problem that I had with
>the book, which was that, while O says that she, Ben, and Chon
>love each other so much, and the whole mission was done in the
>name of love, it was just hard for me to buy it, because I
>didn't *feel* (book) or *see* (film) any semblance of love
>between the three of them. And I'm not talking about the
>chemistry between Lively, Kitsch, and Johnson, I'm talking
>about seeing some genuine sense of affection and bonding
>between the three of them (and coming off the heels of
>Spider-Man and seeing Garfield and Stone's chemistry didn't
>help this movie's case). And the scenes of them drinking
>Patron at the table, then getting high with an ice-filled bong
>don't count. I could have stood to have seen a couple more
>minutes of backstory detailing how these 3 bonded and came
>together. Because as the story stands now, I kept wondering
>why these cats were doing so much to rescue a f*ck toy. Well,
>that's pretty much what she was.

Especially when she acted like such a damn idiot with her captors. There's no depth to her story with them, so why are they risking everything for what is, in essence, their whore?

> but so was
>Travolta. NOPE! Hand Job Johnny delivered!

This was the first time Travolta didn't dance in a movie that I liked him in. He has a career as a bald pudgy supporting guy ahead of him-- he needs to ditch the rugs and embrace the sleaze.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Mon Jul-16-12 10:29 AM

27. "I laughed when Hayek's big trailer line wasn't the same"

In the trailer, we see her say, "THEY KILLED 8 OF MY MEN!" and it's kind of hilarious. Stone must have realized it because it was simply overheard dialogue in the actual movie.

----

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Mon May-06-13 03:37 AM

32. "im sorry..."Hand Job Johnny"? lolll"

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Wed Mar-27-13 11:12 AM

28. "Blakes voiceover was awful to me"
In response to Reply # 0

I think its just her voice but I did not like it all.

BDT killed it but deserved a Savage ending.

What I got from this was that they were doing a film study of poorly parented daughters.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun May-05-13 06:07 AM

29. "who thought making this movie was a good idea?"
In response to Reply # 0

this isn't even about whether or not it's good, but what market was this supposed to be targeting?

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

bloocollar
Member since Aug 14th 2008
18163 posts
Sun May-05-13 08:46 PM

30. "horrible--"
In response to Reply # 0

just out and out annoyingly horrible

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon May-06-13 12:31 AM

31. "Benecio & AJ kept my interest. Blake & Taylor were terrible."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #605253 Previous topic | Next topic