Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #598632

Subject: "What history book is a must have?" Previous topic | Next topic
Big Chief Rumbletummy
Member since Jan 31st 2006
2005 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 12:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What history book is a must have?"

Got my monthly credit from Audible this morning and, as always, I’m stressing over picking the right book to download. I will begin my revealing that I’m an unabashed History buff. I will devour anything I can get my hands on as long as it discusses people in the past and how they did what they did when they did it. Recently I’ve been on a kick of listening to what medieval peoples did what they did when they did, downloading the following:

A Time Traveller’s Guide to Medieval England - HIGHLY recommended. This was written as a sort of light and breezy “travel guide” for you to use as if you were planning on taking a vacation. Tells you what to expect upon arrival in the various cities and villages in England in the 14th Century; describing the people you would encounter, the customs they partake in, and the common culture of those people. I loved it for the entire 8:34:00 run time and I’ve listened to it twice in the last month)

Great Tales From English History Vol. 1 - accounts of the lives of several important people, as well as the popular legends and myths that have been recounted of them, in English history from the Celts to The Battle of Hastings. With a running time of 5:45:53 it does an admirable job going as in-depth as could reasonably be expected covering a span of over 1,000 years when people didn’t write things down.

This Sceptred Isle Vol.1 55BC-1043AD from Julius Ceaser to William the Conqueror – Bleh. Watered down, over-stylized, and foofy BBC production basically crib-noting the previous book I mentioned. I can’t recommend it unless you just want a quick crash course in the beginning of English history. To be fair that’s all this was meant to be and only cost $4. 1:30:30

Pompeii – Fun! A Romp! You’ll laugh till you cry!! Seriously though, this is another light offering that was created to be a radio production and while I don’t hold that fact against it I can’t recommend it. Actors portray various Romans (in one delightfully silly vignette a visiting egalitarian) inhabiting Pompeii & Herculaneum on the day Vesuvius erupted. The dialog is so forced and expository I couldn’t help but laugh a few times. “Never mind him; he is just a fuller I pay to stamp on laundry in urine all day in order to get the stains out. As you know there are several fuller houses devoted to this long standing Roman practice.” 1:34:05

Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History – My man Dan Carlin came through (FINALLY!) with Thors Angels. It had been quite a long time since he had any new content on that side of his podcast (I don’t listen to his current event podcast “Common Sense”), and I had listened to everything. However I revisited his multi-episode “Death Throws of the Republic” about the fall of the Roman Empire. He makes me glad the internet exists. I’m glad I saved all of my old downloads because I see he’s now charging for the older ones. My faves: Ghosts of the Osfront, Macedonian Soap Opera, Punic Nightmares I-III

So…any Medeivel or Roman or Greek histories you think a history buff absolutely MUST have? Any histories of any time and place you think a history buff absolutely MUST have? Keep in mind this is my monthly free credit from Audible so I try and use it on a real high-end, high-ticket item. Anyone have an opinion on the following: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Churchill’s “History of the English Speaking Peoples”?

Get me mad & sad because the fad is fake

RIP CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS - All caps when you spell the man name

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
two I like (outside your topics):
Feb 08th 2012
Thanks for the links
Feb 08th 2012
FiveBooks just asked Geoff Dyer to pick 5 great history books
Feb 08th 2012
I really liked this one
Feb 08th 2012
I really liked this one
Feb 08th 2012
You can't not read "Decline and Fall"
Feb 08th 2012
can not not
Feb 08th 2012
Meaning "must" in this case
Feb 08th 2012
I'd also back that with the History of Rome podcast
Feb 10th 2012
"Cloudsplitter by Russell Banks "
Feb 08th 2012
Based on some of hte suggestions posited here
Feb 08th 2012
Anyone read any Daniel Boorstin?
Feb 10th 2012
Another I really enjoyed was 'Sin In the Second City'
Feb 13th 2012
Nice post. n/m
Feb 13th 2012
Quick questions
Feb 14th 2012
a short list of recommendations
Feb 15th 2012

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 01:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "two I like (outside your topics):"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-08-12 01:11 PM by Selah

1. Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965

http://www.amazon.com/Eyes-Prize-Americas-1954-1965-American/dp/0140096531

2. Africana - The Encyclopedia of the African and African American Experience (note: 1. not a history book per se, but includes historical elements; 2: there is a 5-volume set which is fantastic, but kinda cost prohibitive)

http://www.africanaencyclopedia.com/

Big Chief Rumbletummy
2005 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 01:36 PM

2. "Thanks for the links"
In response to Reply # 1

Cool. This sounds right up my alley. A distant past and culture not of my own and 5 volumes just screams "in-depth". I'll check for this.

>2. Africana - The Encyclopedia of the African and African
>American Experience (note: 1. not a history book per se, but
>includes historical elements; 2: there is a 5-volume set which
>is fantastic, but kinda cost prohibitive)
>
>http://www.africanaencyclopedia.com/

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 02:08 PM

3. "FiveBooks just asked Geoff Dyer to pick 5 great history books"
In response to Reply # 0

I was happy because I already had one of them, that made me feel smart.

His picks:

Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West
“This travelogue-history of Yugoslavia is a major, huge literary masterpiece. It’s without question Rebecca West’s magnum opus”

The Beauty and the Sorrow by Peter Englund
“He has uncovered the lives of 20 different people and he narrates {World War One} chronologically through their experiences of particular days”

House of Exile by Evelyn Juers
“This book was a real revelation to me. I just love the conceit of these German avant-garde composers all living quite near each other in Los Angeles”

A History of Bombing by Sven Lindqvist
“I remember, when it came out, thinking this is way more original than any of the novels on this year’s Booker Prize list”

Imperium by Ryszard Kapuściński
“With Kapuściński it seems to me you get humanity combined with politics and reportage telling you what’s going on in different places”

The interview: http://thebrowser.com/interviews/geoff-dyer-on-unusual-histories

Now I want to read all of them.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 02:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I really liked this one"

http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Fear-Hundred-Created-America/dp/B0048BPG2O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1328731822&sr=8-6

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 02:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I really liked this one"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Fear-Hundred-Created-America/dp/B0048BPG2O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1328731822&sr=8-6

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 03:02 PM

5. "You can't not read "Decline and Fall""
In response to Reply # 0

The list of history books which are artifacts themselves is pretty short, and Gibbon pretty much tops the list. That and Eusebius are the two that come to mind. I don't really like either of them, in that the polemic bleeds through enough that it's hard to take seriously at times, but they're both remarkable works of comprehensive research and narrative-building and, as a result, they are to ancient western history nerds what I assume "Citizen Kane" is to film nerds.

I work on intellectual history (or history of thought or history of ideas) so my favorites are slanted that direction, and the look to the medieval period forward more than its ancient roots. But if you are interested in medieval Europe than these could have some appeal to you.

THE HOW-WE-GOT-FROM-PREMODERNITY-TO-MODERNITY CATEGORY:
1. Karsten Harries "Infinity and Perspective" - A difficult classic that's hard to sum up here, but his angle is to examine the growth of the two titular concepts, infinity and perspective, in text, art, and architectural examples from the medieval through Renaissance periods in order to understand how these ideas grew the sort of human intellectual freedom that we'd understand as "modern".

2. Louis Dupre "Passage to Modernity" - A similar objective to Karsten Harries, but with a focus on the development of the self-as-subject as the result of the crumbling synthesis offered by nominalist thought. He takes in a wider breadth of familiar evidence then Harries does, so if Harries enthusiasm for Nicholas of Cusa seems a bit too obscure then you've got Dupre paying more attention to some bigger figures like Shakespeare and Cervantes, among others.

3. Hans Blumenberg "Legitimacy of the Modern Age" - A classic, but a real commitment. Again, a similar focus to the previous two guys, but with an emphasis on the development of curiosity from a species of intellectual vanity to an essential trait for the development of human knowledge. This one ranges further back into the ancient period, but it's a tough, tough read.

BIG BOOK, CLOSE FOCUS

1. Peter Brown "The Body and Society: Men, Women, and Sexual Renunciation in Early Christianity" - Not a lot of historians with more than one legitimate classic on their resume, so Brown is one of the few (his biography of Augustine is his other classic). This book is so cool because it's systematic review of writers could just as easily allow its use as a textbook for the first few centuries of Christian history, but he frames each discussion so well that the theme of a conversation within Early Christianity on what the body was good (and bad) for really emerges. It's excellent.

2. Mary Carruthers "The Book of Memory" - I use this daily as I try to work on the early modern memory. This one's focus is on ancient Greek and Roman through medieval Christian discussions on the use and scope of the memory. It's very big, very dense, and very good. Nice, slow read.

LIGHTNING ROUND CHOICES IF YOU'RE ALREADY CONSIDERING DECLINE AND FALL

1. Robert Louis Wilken "The Christians as the Romans Saw Them" - Just what it sounds like, colliding/assimilating cultures.

2. Rodney Stark "The Rise of Christianity" - Deeply obnoxious writer crunches the numbers behind narratives of early Christianity and creates a book I wanted to hate but just couldn't.

3. W Frend "The Rise of Christianity" - Starts early, very detailed, takes a long time to finish. An "if you only own one..." type of book.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 03:22 PM

6. "can not not"
In response to Reply # 5

meaning: can

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 03:30 PM

8. "Meaning "must" in this case"
In response to Reply # 6

Like I said, I don't really like it. But it's sort of fundamental.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18753 posts
Fri Feb-10-12 11:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "I'd also back that with the History of Rome podcast"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Feb-10-12 11:57 AM by magilla vanilla

the host, Mike Duncan, has a fairly subtle sense of humor (tending toward pun), and tries to meld a lot of different sources, both secondary and primary. It's very "just the facts" regarding the political developments of Rome, and traces the different political leaders, but I find it pretty well-done.

http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

DJ007
Member since Apr 06th 2003
5447 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 03:25 PM

7. ""Cloudsplitter by Russell Banks ""
In response to Reply # 0

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 04:16 PM

9. "Based on some of hte suggestions posited here"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like kinduva dumbass for suggesting it, but I recently (finally) read McCullough's 'Johnstown Flood' and it made me nervous, excited, and ultimately angry. I loved it.

Also read recently
-The Warmth of Other Suns, a history of the Great Migration - http://isabelwilkerson.com/ - also enjoyable.

-Two of Elijah Wald's fascinating books on music history
1. Josh White: Society Blues - explores White's evolution as a major entertainer from the '30s through the '60s, and its impact and implications on society as well as popular and folk musics
2. Escaping the Delta - nominally a biography of Robert Johnson, the bio details are an excuse for Wald to explore & evaluate the mythology of the blues and the origins of that mythology. Makes a great companion piece to Society Blues.

And since I know you like the four color funnies, if you haven't read 'Ten Cent Plague,' you really really should. It's terrific. http://www.davidhajdu.com/books/TenCentPlague.html

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Fri Feb-10-12 01:58 PM

11. "Anyone read any Daniel Boorstin?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have discoverers and creators on my shelf but haven't gotten around to reading either.

Peace to the Gods.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Mon Feb-13-12 12:55 PM

12. "Another I really enjoyed was 'Sin In the Second City'"
In response to Reply # 0

subtitled 'Madams, Ministers, Playboys, and the Battle for America's Soul'

which apparently has done quite well; I probably wouldn't have heard of it except for the fact that my wife works with the author's father, and she copped a few copies of it from him, read it and while I was skeptical when she told me how much she loved it, I wound up thinking it was great too.

http://www.sininthesecondcity.com/

I had not thought of it in context of this conversation, but then I went on a guys' weekend and the subject of the word 'poon-tang' came up.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Mon Feb-13-12 01:57 PM

13. "Nice post. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Big Chief Rumbletummy
2005 posts
Tue Feb-14-12 08:07 PM

14. "Quick questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you to everyone who responded with recommendations. I’m going to check out quite a few of these. Before this post disappears I’d ask those of you who contributed, or those of who lurked with interest, to indulge me a request. I’d be very interested to read a brief summation of what you found significant or especially memorable about the books you recommended. What was it that grabbed you? Which bits do you know by heart to this day? For example, “A People’s History of the United States” why that book especially? I understand what it is, I read a quarter of it a decade ago but never finished it. Why do posters you choose it as the one History book one must own?

Also, has anyone checked out Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History podcast? I love this podcast from a guy who insists he’s not a historian; rather he’s a “fan of history”. His retellings of some of the world-shaping historical events are enthralling to listen to. I cannot recommend enough his Punic Nightmares trilogy detailing Hannibal’s challenge of the Roman Empire. Those 3 podcasts are an example of utterly fascinating storytelling and history-as-entertainment (as if the subject matter wasn’t fascinating enough).

RIP CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS - All caps when you spell the man name

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Wed Feb-15-12 12:24 AM

15. "a short list of recommendations"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry, but I kind of ignored your specifications.
But I did include reasons why.

WORDMAN'S HISTORY BOOK SUGGESTIONS

*Anything authored by DAVID MCCULLOUGH. He wrote the DEFINITIVE books on several founding fathers, as well as the signing of the Declaration Of Independence. All of his bios, moments in histories, transcribed lectures. If his name's on it, read it.

*Anything authored by GORDON S. WOOD. Probably the nation's greatest historian. He's written so many great books. Another great resource for him is the stuff he's done on BookTV.org (what CSPAN airs on the weekends). Check out some of the stuff he's done on their network here: http://www.booktv.org/search.aspx?For=gordon%20wood

*TAYLOR BRANCH's trilogy on DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. The definitive books on MLK. Yeah, all of the books written about him, but these three are impressive. 1)PARTING THE WATERS 2)PILLAR OF FIRE 3)AT CANAAN'S EDGE.

*CONSTANTINE'S SWORD: THE CHURCH AND THE JEWS by JAMES CARROLL. It's a good read an excellent history not written by the winners. Very well researched.

*TEAM OF RIVALS by DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN. Great book on Lincoln's cabinet. I'm a little tired of Lincoln, I really don't think I can read anything new about him, but this is a good book.

*MALCOLM X: A LIFE OF REINVENTION by MANNING MARABALE. I don't really know if you're looking for bios of people in a historical perspective. I do know that this is a great book worth reading. It is the first scholarly analysis of Malcolm X.

*CITIZENS OF LONDON by LYNNE OLSON. Great book on how England got into the war.

I had a bunch of other stuff I was gonna recommend, but it has slipped my mind. I'll be sure to add them if I think of them.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #598632 Previous topic | Next topic