Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #589285

Subject: "The Artist (Hazanavicius, 2011)" Previous topic | Next topic
benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8436 posts
Tue Nov-22-11 11:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"The Artist (Hazanavicius, 2011)"
Tue Nov-22-11 11:31 AM by benny

IMdB synopsis: Hollywood, 1927: As silent movie star George Valentin wonders if the arrival of talking pictures will cause him to fade into oblivion, he sparks with Peppy Miller, a young dancer set for a big break

Saw it last month and I couldn't find a topic here so I thought I'd start one since it's coming out soon. I thought it was a supremely satisfying moviegoing experience, with a lot more laughs than I expected, and another confirmation that Jean Dujardin is one of the best French actors working today (watch the OSS 117 movies on Netflix if you get a chance). The movie is just one giant love letter to the Hollywood of old, and manages to do so without going over the top, or trying to put a modern spin on things, which is what was most impressive to me. It has tons of heart, thanks to Dujardin and co-star Berenice Bejo, and never feels manufactured or hackneyed. Not everything works, some parts did feel a little long, but I blame the writing more than the lack of talking for that.

I saw it opening weekend in France, and the reaction by the audience was tremendous. The moments that really got to me were when a pure unadulterated silence would fill the theater. It never lasted long, but it was impressive when it did. Of course audiences might respond differently here as they did in France (which an article from the current issue of New York mag talks about), but I have high hopes this will find some sort of audience that isn't just confined to the usual art-house crowd. Since the Weinsteins are backing the movie the Oscar talk is only gonna get louder, and in a year that's so far lacked clear Oscar front-runners, this one could have a shot at several nods.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Really cute and charming.
Nov 24th 2011
Saw this shit late Wednesday night. In Brooklyn. It was packed.
Dec 23rd 2011
I have to wait until the new year or drive 2 hours to see it.
Dec 23rd 2011
Finally opening in Boston tonight...
Dec 23rd 2011
Best movie of the year
Dec 23rd 2011
Movie is fantastic, one of the best of year
Dec 23rd 2011
Here's the feeling I've been looking for
Dec 28th 2011
RE: The Artist (Hazanavicius, 2011)
Dec 30th 2011
yeah, that's one of my favorite moments too
Dec 30th 2011
      Me three but it happened so early the rest was a letdown for me
Jan 28th 2012
just watched it. i kinda fell in love with Peppy.
Jan 17th 2012
That lil Peppy dance in the beginning was scintillated sexiness son
Jan 28th 2012
The dog was cool but yall trippin on this Oscar shit
Jan 28th 2012
Bah
Feb 05th 2012

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Thu Nov-24-11 12:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Really cute and charming."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-25-11 06:15 PM by ZooTown74

Not really familiar with the work of the two leads, but they and the film are starting to get some serious Oscar heat

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Fri Dec-23-11 08:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Saw this shit late Wednesday night. In Brooklyn. It was packed."
In response to Reply # 0

This was really crowd pleasing. I was entertained. The dog should get an Oscar.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Dec-23-11 09:05 AM

3. "I have to wait until the new year or drive 2 hours to see it."
In response to Reply # 0

It's the last thing I need to see this year. I'm torn.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Fri Dec-23-11 09:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Finally opening in Boston tonight..."
In response to Reply # 0

Along with A Dangerous Method. I want to see both, but I'm going to see this first. I'm really looking forward to this...the trailer blew me away.

----

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Fri Dec-23-11 03:40 PM

5. "Best movie of the year"
In response to Reply # 0

There is no movie more enjoyable this year than THE ARTIST.
I'm talking artsy cats, everyday cats, "I want explosions" cats.
The best made film of the year. One of the very few movies that will hold up in the next ten years.
The "oh it's black and white" and the "oh it's a silent movie" effect only lasts for 15 minutes at most.
So much fun.
Will make you love cinema.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

BrillRick
Member since Jan 05th 2005
2479 posts
Fri Dec-23-11 09:59 PM

6. "Movie is fantastic, one of the best of year"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this movie.

That dog deserves a best supporting actor nomination.

twitter: lategordon

Check out my podcast Long and Late Movie Show: http://itunes.com/podcast?id=498789655

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Wed Dec-28-11 10:04 PM

7. "Here's the feeling I've been looking for"
In response to Reply # 0

Mostly silent, which means great performances and emotion have to prevail, right?
Yup.

I have a 400 year old chip on my shoulder.

dunk
Member since Aug 05th 2006
8024 posts
Fri Dec-30-11 04:55 AM

8. "RE: The Artist (Hazanavicius, 2011)"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm surprised this post hasn't receieved more responses. I guess everyone is watching "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" or "Tin Tin" or "Sherlock Holmes" this December.

This film is pretty amazing. Hazanavicius captures the feel and look of a silent film perfectly. What made the move even more authentic was how it was shown in 4:3 ratio. It'd be amazing if there were special showing with a live orchestra but I doubt that would happen.

Both the lead actors are very charming and Jean Dujardin especially captured my attention the entire way. I happen to watch Hazanavicius's "OSS 177" films (two 19602 spy movie satires) which stared Dujardin as well. They seem to work extremely well together and their brand of comedy is very quirky but funny nonetheless.

There are so many great scenes in "The Arist" but one stood out in particular. The scene where he plays the spy scoping out the ballroom, only to fail time after time to dance with the girl without breaking character. Everything about this moment is so perfect, so heartbreaking and hilarious at the same time.

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Fri Dec-30-11 10:32 AM

9. "yeah, that's one of my favorite moments too"
In response to Reply # 8

>There are so many great scenes in "The Arist" but one stood
>out in particular. The scene where he plays the spy scoping
>out the ballroom, only to fail time after time to dance with
>the girl without breaking character. Everything about this
>moment is so perfect, so heartbreaking and hilarious at the
>same time.

Without a doubt the best movie of the year.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 12:47 AM

11. "Me three but it happened so early the rest was a letdown for me"
In response to Reply # 9

The ending was cool too but I was pretty bored the way it played out

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Jan-17-12 08:37 PM

10. "just watched it. i kinda fell in love with Peppy."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-17-12 08:38 PM by IkeMoses

the performances were great. the dog deserves a Best Supporting Actor nod.

loved the dream sequence where the feather drops like a bomb.

i wouldn't be mad if it won best picture, though it's not my top pick.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 12:52 AM

12. "That lil Peppy dance in the beginning was scintillated sexiness son "
In response to Reply # 10

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sat Jan-28-12 01:00 AM

13. "The dog was cool but yall trippin on this Oscar shit"
In response to Reply # 0

I expected lil fluffy to be tap dancin & what not they way yall tell it & tried to sell it.

I'm rootin for Jean Dujardin tho. I just wish the movie didn't spend so much time making me feel sorry for him. He was a lot better playing cocky early.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Feb-05-12 05:46 PM

14. "Bah"
In response to Reply # 0

shits good fun, but GREAT? NAHSON. Like i said elsewhere Longo has pretty much stated what i think of this film

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #589285 Previous topic | Next topic