Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #580652

Subject: "Red Hook Summer (Lee, 2012)" Previous topic | Next topic
icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Mon Sep-19-11 08:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Red Hook Summer (Lee, 2012)"
Wed Aug-22-12 10:17 AM by Frank Longo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1989593/

It'll be interesting to see where Mookie's at after so long, but at the same time, I'm not sure I want to know out of fear of DTRT being tarnished by this 'sequel'. I'm curious, but cautious.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/twitter-news-spike-lee-announces-red-hook-summer-for-next-year-14795

Spike Lee wants to “Burning Up Da Summer” in 2012.

On Lee’s Twitter feed, he announced his next film “Red Hook Summer” will be released next summer. He published a photo of himself in front of the painted wall for the movie.

The film is about an Atlanta resident who spends a summer in the Red Hook neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York.

Lee will reprise his role as Mookie from 1989’s “Do the Right Thing.” The film’s cast also includes Clarke Peters (“The Wire”), Samantha Ivers (“Enchanted”), Limary Agosto (“Inside Man”) and Heather Simms (“Broken Flowers”).

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't know how I feel about this...
Sep 20th 2011
Cmon, it's not going to "tarnish" anything.
Sep 20th 2011
is there any confirmation that Mookie will be the 2nd lead?
Sep 20th 2011
i'm excited!
Sep 20th 2011
Spike Lee interview (SWIPE)
Jan 20th 2012
dope interview
May 01st 2012
NY Time article (shout out to Buddy Gilapogos) (link)
Jan 20th 2012
thanks!
Jan 20th 2012
I guess Mookie was the angle to lure people to the post.
Jan 20th 2012
      This post isn't about the movie?
Jan 20th 2012
hmmm...
Jan 20th 2012
Tonight's the premiere.
Jan 22nd 2012
This is going to be fun...
Jan 22nd 2012
ComingSoon called it the worst Sundance movie in memory.
Jan 23rd 2012
      You gonna check it?
Jan 23rd 2012
           I think that was Leighton.
Jan 23rd 2012
                OK thats what ti was
Jan 23rd 2012
OH SHIT!!! Good article here *BIG MOTHERFUCKING SPOILERS*
Jan 23rd 2012
GAT DAMN
Jan 23rd 2012
less excited now
Jan 23rd 2012
sounds like Spike still can't end a movie.
Jan 24th 2012
Another Slam
Jan 24th 2012
New commercial/teaser/something or other (link)
May 01st 2012
anybody know if/when it's coming to Philly?
May 01st 2012
Trailer
Jun 28th 2012
RE: Trailer
Jun 28th 2012
honestly, Im not interested and I'm prob one of the...
Jun 28th 2012
I actually thought the trailer was pretty fucking good...
Jun 28th 2012
did he shoot that shit on an iPhone?
Jun 28th 2012
thanks!
Jun 28th 2012
Looks dope I'm wondering where mookie fits in
Jul 27th 2012
      Read the article below nm
Jul 27th 2012
      looks terrible actually (aesthetically anyway), I miss Ernest Dickerson
Jul 28th 2012
I think that I am going to hate this movie for lack of authenticity
Jun 29th 2012
Long L.A. Times article swipe
Jul 27th 2012
Well.....I'm gonna see it.
Jul 27th 2012
Clip of Spike, as Mookie (link)
Jul 27th 2012
Welp. I saw it.
Aug 14th 2012
I'll tell you what, (SPOILERS)
Aug 27th 2012
Two questions
Aug 27th 2012
Nov 10th 2012
Ok finally saw it (spoiler)
Dec 08th 2012
after having no interest, saw it in Red Box and was glad i did
Dec 24th 2012
RE: Red Hook Summer (Lee, 2012)
Dec 29th 2012
This was a mess.
Dec 29th 2012
No that's on Spike
Dec 29th 2012
Wow, this movie was god awful. Easily Spike's Worst
Dec 30th 2012
Spike's still got Bad 25, though
Dec 31st 2012
Spike needs to quit writing.
Dec 31st 2012
no, more like YOUR insecurities of how the church is being
Jan 03rd 2013
I wouldn't call it a hatchet job against the church at all.
Jan 25th 2013
      yeah i agree with this same can be said for X
Aug 01st 2013
Ancestors wept. n/m
Dec 31st 2012
Longo is pretty much correct.
Jan 02nd 2013
finally watched....what a mess
Jan 23rd 2013
those two kids were terrible
Jan 25th 2013
Finally peeped ...it's bad his worst film
Aug 01st 2013
RE: Finally peeped ...it's bad his worst film
Aug 01st 2013

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Tue Sep-20-11 10:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't know how I feel about this..."
In response to Reply # 0

Well I do... and its mostly bad.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue Sep-20-11 12:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Cmon, it's not going to "tarnish" anything."
In response to Reply # 0

Especially the greatness of Do the Right Thing...

also on Facebook

Back for 22 mo' -- January 2012

HAI HATERZ

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Tue Sep-20-11 03:40 PM

3. "is there any confirmation that Mookie will be the 2nd lead?"
In response to Reply # 0

If anything I imagine him in a side part, like Buggin' Out or Da Mayor in DTRT; that is to say, a member of the neighborhood instead of THE focal point or tour guide.

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Sep-20-11 03:45 PM

4. "i'm excited!"
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Jan-20-12 12:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Spike Lee interview (SWIPE)"
In response to Reply # 0

And yes, we know, Spike sucks, thanks.

And I repeat,

(SWIPE)

thehollywoodreporter.com:

(SWIPE)

>THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: So this is your first trip to Sundance as a feature director but not your first time with a film in the festival?
Spike Lee: Yes. I came for the first time with the Broadway musical film Passing Strange in 2009. I had a really good conversation with Robert Redford that year. He was 100 percent cool.

THR: What was the genesis of Red Hook?

Lee: (Co-writer and novelist) James McBride and I are dear friends. We worked together on Miracle at St. Anna. And we had breakfast one morning at Viand, the best coffee shop in New York, at 61st and Madison, across from Barneys. We were talking about the state of cinema, the state of black cinema, how frustrated I was that I couldn't get the sequel to Inside Man made -- my biggest hit ever.

THR: Why couldn't you get the sequel made?

Lee: You'd have to speak to some other people about that. Anyway, I'd just bought this Sony camera, an F3, and I said, "We've got the means and ways and have to make do. We have to make it happen." We just started talking about stories we wanted to tell. He's from Brooklyn too -- Red Hook, in fact -- so we co-wrote the script.

THR: Is the film autobiographical for either of you?

Lee: A little. The church where we filmed is the one James' parents founded, the New Brown Memorial Baptist Church.

THR: Aside from Clarke Peters, who has appeared on The Wire and Treme, the cast is made up of mostly unknowns. How did you go about assembling the talent?

Lee: I got the best people I could find. I auditioned all over New York City. Also, there is a school in my old Fort Green neighborhood called Ronald Edmonds. I went there, same junior high, but the name has been changed. And there is an acting teacher there, Edward Robinson, a great teacher -- they always have great kids. I started hanging out in the class. That's where I first saw Jules Brown, who plays Flick, and Toni Lysaith, who plays Chaz.

THR: In terms of the budget, you're revealing only that it was "SAG Low Budget Agreement" (which per 2011 standards puts it between $625,000 and 937,500). What was the most difficult part of making the film?

Lee: I financed it myself, so we had to do it for a price. I just went to the bank, made some draws and wrote some checks! It was very hard, but we made the movie we wanted to make.

THR: Is the film, as many are saying, a return to your roots after more commercial projects like Inside Man and St. Anna?

Lee: I am trying to stay away from this position of me "returning to my roots." As if my roots are that I'm only comfortable working on low-budget, small films. That's not the case at all. I think if people looked at my body of work, they'd see a great breadth of work. (Long pause.) But the fact remains that Hollywood does sequels and prequels. What was it, Mission: Impossible 5 just now?

THR: Four.

Lee: Right, four. So it was inconceivable to me that we couldn't get a sequel made to Inside Man. I don't blame Hollywood -- I was naive. Forgive me, I was naive. It was my biggest hit. And we couldn't get a sequel made? I was f--ing naive. It was like it didn't even happen.

THR: But who specifically made the decision not to move forward with a sequel?

Lee: Brian Grazer at Imagine? Donna Langley at Universal? You'd have to do some research. Look, I'm not crying over spilt milk or pointing fingers or playing the blame game. We are all grown-ups here. You asked me questions, and I can't speak for other people. (Editor's note: Calls placed to Grazer's office were referred to Universal, which did not immediately return a request for comment.)

THR: OK, on to another topic. There have been a few standout offerings from black filmmakers in the past year, Dee Rees' Pariah and Steve McQueen's Shame among them. Do you think opportunities for black directors have improved or worsened since you started making movies in the 1980s?

Lee: Shame is a great film; it's my favorite film of the year. And Dee was a student of mine at NYU graduate film school. I'm an executive producer of Pariah. Anyway, I think there have been some improvements and some steps taken back. But overall, the variety of films being offered to African-American audiences is not where it was 10, 15 years ago. It's very narrow.

THR: But doesn't Tyler Perry's huge commercial success suggest that at least a good portion of that audience is being served?

Lee: It's not the same. I just feel the audience doesn't have as many choices as it did back in the day.

THR: Do you think it's more that the content is not being written, or it's simply not being greenlighted, or both?

Lee: Look, take away the big stars -- Will Smith and Denzel -- and look at the people who have a greenlight vote. Where are the people of color? That's what it comes down to. How many people, when they have those meetings and vote on what movies get made, how many people of color are in those meetings? That's not to say that's the only way to get a film made, but you're talking about Hollywood specifically here. And if you want to get a Hollywood film made, it has to get greenlit. And I want someone to tell me: Who is a person of color who has a greenlight vote in this industry today? Some can argue, "Will Smith doesn't need the vote." Well, if Will wants to do the phone book, they still have to vote on it! He's not writing the check. Someone still has to write the check for what Will wants to do. I'm talking about the people sitting in the room who have read the script -- looking at the full package, who's in it, how much is it going to cost, how much is it going to make. The people who have that vote, there are no people of color who have that. And people are going to be in trouble. The U.S. Census has said white Americans are going to be a minority in this country by 2040. I just think it's good business sense to plan for that! The country is changing, and some people just don't want to understand that. I don't know how you can't take that into account. The smart people are going to take that number into account of how they do business.

THR: Hollywood has a tough time looking more than a few years out.

Lee: Yeah, it does. Look, I'm not using this interview to slam Hollywood. I'm just saying, I want to know: Who is a black person in Hollywood who has that vote? If you ask a studio, they aren't going to tell you.

THR: The only black executive I can think of offhand with definitive power in the film business is Vanessa Murchison at Fox Animation.

Lee: Let's leave animation out of it. (Laughs.) Let's stick to live action. Forgive me, I do know her, and she does have great power at Fox, though. But I'm talking about live-action features.

THR: George Lucas appeared Jan. 9 on The Daily Show to promote his Tuskegee Airmen action-drama Red Tails and said the studios he approached had no clue how to market a "black action movie." How do you feel about this?

Lee: Yeah, I was at the premiere. Here's the thing: One of the reasons the studios don't know how to market the film is that they have no black people in the marketing departments! At least any people with say-so. Again, this is bigger than just a marketing problem. What about the greenlight committee? That's the bigger issue. That's the heart of the matter. This is not a revelation; this is truth.

THR: Well, it was certainly novel that a white person in Hollywood, especially someone of Lucas' stature, would be so public on this particular topic.

Lee: Well, George Lucas got "f-- you" money. (Laughs.) They're not going to mess with him. In any case, I watch football, and the Red Tails commercials are hot. The commercials are definitely running on TV.

THR: Looking at the most successful movie of the year to feature black talent, The Help, why do you think the film was able to transcend racial boundaries and be both a commercial and critical hit?

Lee: OK, let me ask you a question: Why did Driving Miss Daisy win best picture in 1989? That's my answer.

THR: So you're saying they're both period films in which the black actors portray servants?

Lee: Stacey, Stacey, Stacey. That's my answer (above). I don't need to elaborate.

THR: Besides Shame, are there other movies or TV shows you've seen recently that blew you away?

Lee: Yeah, I loved Attack the Block; it's a British indie film starring John Boyega, who is also the lead in this pilot I shot for HBO: The Brick, with Doug Ellin from Entourage.

THR: You're also slated to direct HBO's film about former D.C. Mayor Marion Barry with Eddie Murphy. How is it that you and Eddie have never worked together?

Lee: I know. Never! We've talked about it for many years. We were never able to come up with something we both could agree on. Hanging out together is going to be a motherf--er! (Laughs.)

THR: You've never shied away from politics in your films. How does the current landscape make you feel about being black in America?

Lee: Look, I support the president. In fact, my wife (attorney Tonya Lewis Lee) and I are having a fund-raising dinner (on Jan. 19) for Obama at our house on the Upper East Side. We got the call directly from the White House.

THR: Back to Red Hook Summer. How long was your shoot?

Lee: Nineteen days. Roughly three six-day weeks.

THR: That's fast. Was the schedule the toughest part of the production?

Lee: She's Gotta Have It was 12 days. (Laughs.) So, no.

THR: Do you prefer that guerrilla pace of filmmaking?

Lee: One of the great things about African-Americans is that we've always had this attitude: We make do with what we got. It comes from our ancestors being slaves. You can't bitch and moan about what you don't got. It's, "What can you do with what you got?" I've got a minimum amount of money; that dictates the shooting days. And James and I wrote the script. It takes place in Red Hook, and we shot everything within a 10-block radius. We gotta make do with what we got.

THR: Is it true that you reprise your role of Mookie from Do the Right Thing in Red Hook?

Lee: Yeah, but he's not the focus.

THR: So it's present-day Mookie as an older man?

Lee: Yes, much older. (Laughs.)

THR: How has your storytelling style changed since you made Do the Right Thing?

Lee: Hopefully I'm better.

THR: What do you think is your signature as a filmmaker?

Lee: Well, I have a signature shot. I like people to look like they're floating. But as a filmmaker? I think it's easy to look at Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, Jungle Fever and say, "Spike only deals with themes of race." And I think that's just from someone who's lazy, who hasn't seen the films or gone to IMDb to look at the body of work! It takes 10 seconds.

THR: On the subject of the Web, how much, if at all, do you use social media to promote yourself?

Lee: I'm on Twitter. It's fun.

THR: What have you learned about your fans from being on the site?

Lee: They're waiting for the next movie. I have 150,000 followers. I started tweeting on my birthday last year, March 20.

THR: Do you find you get criticized as much as praised?

Lee: Oh yeah. "Spike! The Knicks f--ing suck! Yankees suck! New York sucks! You suck the big one, Spike!" But I just block those people.

THR: You're now working on an English-language version of the Korean thriller Oldboy, starring Josh Brolin and Clive Owen. Is there another project you're hoping to tackle someday?

Lee: I'd love to do a musical with Prince, Stevie Wonder or Kanye (West). That wouldn't all be one movie! They're my dream collaborators.

THR: Is there anything else you'd like to add about Red Hook Summer before Sundance?

Lee: We're looking forward to sharing something with the world. And if God is willing and the creek don't rise, we'll have a distributor and a summer release. As the great Jets linebacker Bart Scott has been quoted as saying, "Can't wait."

woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Tue May-01-12 09:05 AM

24. "dope interview"
In response to Reply # 5

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Jan-20-12 12:28 PM

6. "NY Time article (shout out to Buddy Gilapogos) (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/14/movies/spike-lee-and-stephen-frears-return-to-sundance.html?_r=1

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Fri Jan-20-12 12:33 PM

7. "thanks!"
In response to Reply # 6

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Fri Jan-20-12 02:01 PM

8. "I guess Mookie was the angle to lure people to the post."
In response to Reply # 6
Fri Jan-20-12 02:03 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

Wait, why was my post locked when it went up first about this movie?

the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Jan-20-12 05:54 PM

10. "This post isn't about the movie?"
In response to Reply # 8

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Jan-20-12 02:14 PM

9. "hmmm..."
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86643 posts
Sun Jan-22-12 04:19 PM

11. "Tonight's the premiere."
In response to Reply # 0

Excited to hear what people say.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sun Jan-22-12 11:54 PM

12. "This is going to be fun..."
In response to Reply # 0

Looks like Red Hook Summer is another polarizing Spike Lee joint. The responses from Sundance are all over the place.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Frank Longo
86643 posts
Mon Jan-23-12 11:25 AM

15. "ComingSoon called it the worst Sundance movie in memory."
In response to Reply # 12

Other folks said they loved it, while others still thought if it was trimmed by 15-30 minutes that it could be great.

I'm excited.

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Mon Jan-23-12 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "You gonna check it? "
In response to Reply # 15

I thought i remembered during that Spike lee ep you weren't super into his films.

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

Frank Longo
86643 posts
Mon Jan-23-12 12:08 PM

17. "I think that was Leighton."
In response to Reply # 16

I'm very into Spike. I've seen everything in the last six years or so, plus most of the early stuff. I just missed a stretch in the middle (Clockers, Summer of Sam, etc.).

Dae021
39375 posts
Mon Jan-23-12 02:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "OK thats what ti was"
In response to Reply # 17

Some of those films in the middle were good films, albeit a bit overlong but good nonetheless.

Well I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8599 posts
Mon Jan-23-12 02:03 AM

13. "OH SHIT!!! Good article here *BIG MOTHERFUCKING SPOILERS*"
In response to Reply # 0

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/01/23/sundance-spike-lee-red-hook-summer/

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Dae021
39375 posts
Mon Jan-23-12 11:22 AM

14. "GAT DAMN"
In response to Reply # 13

now I gotta see it.

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Mon Jan-23-12 12:49 PM

18. "less excited now"

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 02:06 PM

20. "sounds like Spike still can't end a movie."

LOL

fuck you.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 02:11 PM

21. "Another Slam"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/01/spike-lees-sundance-fiasco-red-hook-summer/251881/

Preachy Spike is the least amount of fun.

the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue May-01-12 01:56 AM

22. "New commercial/teaser/something or other (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/jOuivSzlNq4

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Tue May-01-12 09:02 AM

23. "anybody know if/when it's coming to Philly?"
In response to Reply # 0

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

little bredren
Member since Apr 18th 2005
3286 posts
Thu Jun-28-12 03:25 AM

25. "Trailer"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-28-12 03:26 AM by little bredren

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CX9xKczh4w

I'm in!

Music, movies, and everything in between: http://recordinglivefromsomewhere.com & http://twitter.com/marko_orlic

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Thu Jun-28-12 07:58 AM

26. "RE: Trailer"
In response to Reply # 25

Clarke Peters can act! I'll be checking this out.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Jun-28-12 01:05 PM

27. "honestly, Im not interested and I'm prob one of the..."

biggest spike fans on this boards, as in I literally think he's better than 95% of yalls yt director idols

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Thu Jun-28-12 01:22 PM

28. "I actually thought the trailer was pretty fucking good..."

I wish I didn't hear the major spoiler out of Sundance regarding the "plot twist", which sounds like it will put a major damper on things and drum up a lot of controversy.

----

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Thu Jun-28-12 02:58 PM

29. "did he shoot that shit on an iPhone?"

I never had a problem with digital video before, but that looked horrible.

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Jun-28-12 03:01 PM

30. "thanks!"

i'm still in

just avoiding folks and their opinions
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Fri Jul-27-12 01:08 PM

34. "Looks dope I'm wondering where mookie fits in "

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Jul-27-12 03:34 PM

35. "Read the article below nm"
In response to Reply # 34

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Jul-28-12 01:13 PM

37. "looks terrible actually (aesthetically anyway), I miss Ernest Dickerson"
In response to Reply # 34

I've never seen a Spike flick *look* that bad, look like he's making 'Straight Outta Brooklyn' on an iPhone.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Fri Jun-29-12 10:04 AM

31. "I think that I am going to hate this movie for lack of authenticity "
In response to Reply # 0

Spike has mentioned before that he didn't grow up in a particularly religious household and was somewhat skeptical of black religion so when I heard about the alleged plot twist I got the feeling that he was going to depict black religion with the same condescending inauthentic POV that he depicted Southern People in Crooklyn.

I hoping it will be better than I am expecting, but I am preparing for the worse.

In general, Spike is at his worse when he writes about topics that he only has a surface level understanding of (Corporate Culture in "She Hate Me", World War II in "Miracle of St. Anna").

"naive as the dry leaves on the ground looking past the trees to the blue sky asking 'why me?'" -Blu

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Jul-27-12 11:31 AM

32. "Long L.A. Times article swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

*goes back to blindly praising white direcktors*

latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-ca-mn-spike-lee-20120729,0,774930.story

>Spike Lee's fighting spirit hits new heights on film and beyond

The filmmaker's challenging new work, 'Red Hook Summer,' will have to compete with his famed outspokenness, which has garnered the most attention recently.

By Steven Zeitchik, Los Angeles Times

8:00 AM PDT, July 27, 2012

NEW YORK — When he took the stage after the world premiere of his new film "Red Hook Summer"at this year's Sundance Film Festival, Spike Lee had other things on his mind besides the movie. The director embarked on a series of digressions, riffing on everything from the whiteness of Utah to the supremacy of the New York Giants.

Then he dropped what amounted to a smoke bomb in the normally polite confines of a post-screening question-and-answer session. Hollywood studios, he said, "know nothing about black people." It was the start of a self-admitted "tirade" about what he saw as the inherent racism, or at least ignorance, of Hollywood. By the time he finished, the entire room was sitting in silence.

The moment offered a telling snapshot into Lee's career. At 55 and with little need for validation, Lee is making films as audacious as ever, brass-knuckled yet textured affairs, like the tough urban drama "Red Hook," that hark to his 1980s and early '90s heyday.

Yet more than ever he seems unable to get out of his own way. Millions of people know that Lee retweeted shooting defendant George Zimmerman's incorrect address a few months ago as part of the grass-roots campaign on behalf of Trayvon Martin, creating a problem for an unrelated elderly Florida couple. A far smaller number, it's safe to say, know Lee has a challenging new film coming out.

The behavior raises two questions that are inextricable from Spike Lee, 2012 edition. Is he one of the best filmmakers working in America today? And if he is, why do so few people seem to talk about it?

On a warm spring day, Lee sat in his coolly stylish office in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn (an autographed poster of a Fellini movie, vintage New York baseball paraphernalia), much of his person tricked out in Knicks gear as he flipped the sports pages of a New York tabloid. His beloved NBA team had just eked out a win in a playoff elimination game, but things weren't looking good. He gave a short bitter laugh. "Live to fight another day," he said, tossing the paper into the trash.

It's a comment that could apply equally to the director. Many artists with Lee's dossier — more than two dozen films, a pair of Oscar nominations, countless film-festival prizes, a couple of Emmy wins, a reputation as an icon of the independent film movement — might show signs of mellowing. But he continues an almost reflexive need to needle that began since he came on to the scene with streetwise Brooklyn dramas "She's Gotta Have It" and "Do the Right Thing."

Although he expressed regret the morning after the Sundance screening, explaining that "I'm here to talk about the movie, and everything else distracts from that," he showed a more pugilistic side in his office. "What I said was the truth," he said. "I just left off a couple of 'mother--,'" finishing his word with a seven-letter profanity.

A few years ago he got into a war of words with Clint Eastwood about an absence of black people in Eastwood's "Flags of Our Fathers" — an altercation that resulted in the grizzled director telling Lee to "shut his face." His prickliness is evident in an interview too: He balked when asked how studios handle black issues. "Why would they check in with me? I'm not the black cultural czar," he said, with a hint of hostility.

Lee may be "the hardest-working man in show business since James Brown passed," as "Red Hook" co-writer and co-producer James McBride said. But he can also seem to work overtime supplying ammunition to his critics, generating as many headlines as film reviews.

Yet inescapable in all this is that in combativeness also lies, perhaps, some of his genius. Clarke Peters, the"Treme" actor who stars in "Red Hook," said that the two are impossibly entwined. "I think Spike is at the mercy of his creativity," the actor said. "It's just got to come out of him, whether it's in his work or his outspokenness."

And therein lies the paradox of Lee: To tone down his fighting spirit is to curb what makes his work so exciting. But to keep the fighting spirit high is to, at times, prevent large numbers of people from noticing that work.

Passion at work

At a point when many directors would take an easy paycheck, Lee is crafting some of the most interesting pieces of his career. He has branched out to various passion projects, like the multi-part Katrina documentary "When the Levees Broke" and beginning this week, Mike Tyson's one-man show, "Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth," which he's directing in a limited Broadway run.

There are probably few contemporary American directors taught as often in college classrooms — with some of that teaching done by Lee himself, who at NYU guides young talents like"Pariah" director Dee Rees.

And perhaps nothing offers as much evidence of his renaissance as "Red Hook." There's a case to be made that the movie is Lee's best in years, harking to early Brooklyn-based classics like "Do the Right Thing." There are numerous callbacks to that film, including Lee appearing in quick bursts as the memorable Mookie, still delivering Sal's pizza, and more indirect allusions, with its storyline about a boy coming of age in a neighborhood filled with socioeconomic tension. (After all, in the intervening years Brooklyn has seen a rush of gentrification, becoming a place where yuppies and hipsters live cheek-by-jowl with the working class.) This time, though, Lee adds issues of religion. And he does it all in a very Lee way — pushy but not preachy.

Following the story of Flik (the first-timer Jules Brown), an Atlanta adolescent who is sent to live with his preacher grandfather nicknamed Da Good Bishop (Peters), it shows a boy who seeks to resolve conflicts common to growing up anywhere while also layering in issues particular to Brooklyn and the black community. All this before it packs a third-act punch (let's just say it involves religion and a heinous sex act).

There are numerous sermons as well as plenty of street interactions between Flik, Da Good Bishop and various locals — Lee has compressed a few of these scenes from the Sundance cut, but the film still clocks in at over two hours — which can give "Red Hook Summer" a languorous, feel. Yet "Red Hook" is bracing stuff, a movie that aims to ask difficult questions about big subjects like race, religion, urban renewal and parenting, aided by a vérité look and a melancholy score from piano maestro Bruce Hornsby.

The movie is also the latest chapter in Lee's ongoing saga about Brooklyn. Though he lives with his wife, attorney Tonya Lewis, and their two children in the very different precincts of the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Lee was raised in Brooklyn, and he sees the movie as a way to weigh in on some of the changes that have rattled it — particularly in several pointed scenes contrasting the middle-class white newbies and the less-well-off black perennials.

He also hoped the movie would follow in the tradition of coming-of-age movies. "I wanted to tell a story that was the black 'Stand By Me,'" he said. "I loved that film, but where were the black people?"

To pull all of this off, Lee took real gambles. He made the film on a brutal 19-day schedule, often shooting without permits. To find several of the child leads, he recruited at a New York theater school; the children said that when Lee first came to their class they didn't even know they were reading for a movie part.

He financed the low-budget movie (under $1 million) with his own money, using many of his students as crew members, and for the first time in his career is partly paying for the distribution himself, retaining a tiny New York company to help. (The movie hits New York theaters next week and Los Angeles venues two weeks later.)

Nor was the shoot easy. "Red Hook" (named for the waterfront Brooklyn neighborhood) features actors playing gang members in hardscrabble housing projects, and the sight in those projects of the Bloods' trademark red bandannas prompted various factions to harass Lee and his crew. "People think of Spike as this king of Brooklyn, but it's not like he strolls through as the lord of the manor," Peters said, recalling the sight of gang members lurking.

What really got under people's skin at Sundance wasn't the occasional gang moment but a scene in that third act that involves the Bible and one of the worst crimes you can imagine. The film's sales agents stood in the lobby outside the screening and before it began warned festivalgoers that it would be "divisive." Afterward, the online commentator Erik Childress of efilmcritic.com wrote, "I have so many negative things to say about Spike Lee's 'Red Hook Summer' that I don't know where to begin." He was one of the more gentle skeptics.

McBride said he was opposed to the questionable scene and debated Lee about it. Lee said he knew from the start that he had to include it, because to simply suggest it offscreen was to shy away from the very things he wanted to confront. "It's not pretty, but it was something that needed to be dealt with," he said, adding that it may have been the most difficult scene he's ever shot.

But Lee said he was untroubled by the reaction that the disturbing plot turn had come out of left field. "I like storytelling where the filmmakers are two steps ahead of the audience; otherwise what's the purpose of doing a film?" he said, almost unconsciously returning to a favorite theme. "People have been conditioned by the Hollywood formula, A to B to C all the way to Z," he said. "They've been bamboozled, hoodwinked."

Speaking out

Yet all the filmmaking ambition in the world can't disguise that Lee can be his own worst enemy. And he seems to know it. To interview the director is almost to watch a man at war with himself — about how much of a provocateur he should be, about whether speaking one's mind is an obligation or a distraction.

Asked how he felt about "The Help,"a race-themed movie that was one of Hollywood's biggest hits last year, he paused for a long 10 seconds, then said, "No comment. No comment," before giving a knowing laugh that suggested, you won't trap me.

Then, a minute later he lets it rip on another race-themed subject. "There's not a black person in Hollywood who has greenlight power," he said, when asked a general question about Hollywood liberalism. "All these executives, the gatekeepers, they're all Democrats, they all fundraise, they support Obama. But you go into their offices and the diversity they talk about is not reflected in their workplaces, it's not reflected in their hiring practices, it's not reflected in the films they make." Lee, who has occasionally made bigger-budgeted studio films, such as the 2006 hit "Inside Man" for Universal, said he encourages black students to become executives to tilt this balance of power.

McBride, who also co-wrote Lee's period war picture "Miracle at St. Anna," acknowledges that Lee can be direct but says the filmmaker is hardly malicious and doesn't merit the kind of backlash he receives. "He's honest, and he doesn't make small talk, so people think he's abrasive," he said. "But I don't think he wakes up in the morning and thinks 'I'm going to shake America by its boots.' I think he just wants America to think."

It is admittedly hard not to feel that the subjects of Lee's movies are responsible in some part for why some filmgoers have chosen to ignore him; there are not that many high-profile socially conscious filmmakers working today to begin with, let alone those willing to repeatedly touch the third rail of race.

There was a time when one might argue that these media dust-ups might have actually helped Lee; after all, as a young filmmaker looking to make a name for yourself, a little extra attention never hurts. But for an established name they serve mainly as a distraction. What's more, when Lee was first starting out, the public was inclined to buy tickets for difficult independent dramas (it's hard to conceive of now, but even a lesser-regarded Lee film like "Jungle Fever" grossed $32 million when it came out in 1991, $53 million when adjusting for inflation). But moviegoers have turned increasingly to comic-book spectacles and youthful fantasies, which makes Lee's fight for filmmaking relevance harder than ever.

For his part, Lee chooses not to express regrets about either his work or his public kerfuffles. "I don't look back," he said, and "I don't explain. What's the point? I'm done with that. It impedes progress. I just focus on the ongoing effort to do what I set out to do — build a body of work for 40 Acres and a Mule," his production company.

Lee is next directing a remake of Chan-wook Park's"Oldboy"with the backing of mainstream Hollywood companies. (Asked how he might switch up the movie's Asian settings and themes, he said, "I'm not going to tell you that," and then let go a laugh somehow both good-humored and dismissive.)

The movie comes with big stakes. It's a new take on a piece that was a favorite among film fans around the world and also stars well-known names like Josh Brolin and Sharlto Copley. The combination of these elements with Lee's chops could open a new avenue for Lee and bring the focus back to his films — if a certain combative alter ego doesn't get in the way.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Fri Jul-27-12 05:41 PM

36. "Well.....I'm gonna see it."
In response to Reply # 32

And judging from the trailer....I'd much rather see this than another attempt by him at a big budget movie.

But why does he say incredibly stupid stuff like 'Where were the black people' in Stand By Me? Shaking my head. Does he really want every filmmaker to say to themselves 'Ok....looking good so far...now we need to add some black people'.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Jul-27-12 12:16 PM

33. "Clip of Spike, as Mookie (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/watch-spike-lee-resurrect-mookie-in-new-clip-from-red-hook-summer

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Aug-14-12 09:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
38. "Welp. I saw it."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-14-12 10:24 PM by BigReg

Id give it a B-.

What I liked;

Clarke Peters nailed his role.
Lots of the side characters were interesting.
Great sense of neighborhood

What I hated
The main character's acting wasn't strong enough to carry the film...his love interest was also pretty week.
Spike's preachy moments...particularly with the first part of the movie and I thought he overly stereotyped one of the chars(ill wait for more people to see it to debate this point)

People are complaining about the twist but I thought it actually served it's purpose...without going into the specifics it's really the only way not to make the audience turn on the movie early on since its such a divisive issue.

The first act felt like a drag filled with lots of preacher in church moments which let Peters do his thing but did nothing to help with the pace/mood of the movie. And the ending? LOL. Not really spoiling anything but the movie began to end on the note of the kid going back to Atlanta....saying goodbye etc...standard fare. Rather then end it there, this nigga spike breaks out with a Wonder Years montage of the greatest summer ever in DIRECT contrast to what the movie was about/or showed you for two hours. It had the tone of a saturday morning cartoon, lol.

If he got stronger kid actors, ended the movie five minutes earlier, and trimmed down the church/preaching scenes in the beginning it would have been a good to great Spike Lee movie. For now I rate it in the middle of his catalog.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Mon Aug-27-12 01:41 AM

39. "I'll tell you what, (SPOILERS)"
In response to Reply # 0

(random thoughts)

The narrative was seemingly all over the place, and the kid actors were a bit wooden, and it was just tough to buy that Mookie was still delivering pizzas, and Spike's speechifying was a bit much at times

But I still enjoyed this movie quite a bit.

That's probably mainly due to Clarke Peters' wonderful performance. It's his movie to own, and for the most part he does. He's a preacher who's TOO into the Word, who believes that money troubles can be prayed away, and that the local drug dealers could be swayed with the good word. He's also revealed to have a big demon that he has to deal with, and it gets dealt with (and btw, it's not something that comes up out of the blue, it's hinted at during one of the scenes with the Bloods, and we see the fellow who was molested at least one time before he explodes). But anyway, Clarke did his thing with the role he was given. It's a shame that his performance is going to get overlooked come awards season.

Like I said, I thought the kids were a bit wooden, with the young lady playing Chazz way over-the-top at times. Which I get, Spike intentionally directed her that way, but I'm not sure we needed her performance to be that uneven. Might have been due to the script.

Spike beat us over the head with the gentrification theme, with (what I think are) his thoughts being personified in the form of Deacon Zee. But yet, I was fine with it, probably due to the wildly entertaining performance of Thomas Jefferson Byrd. He's either your cup of tea, or he's not (he was the junkie who had AIDS in Clockers). I personally find him hilarious. But every 5 minutes he was giving a speech about how "niggas" didn't invest stock in various companies and how we instead wanted to pray everything okay. And yep, if he did it anyplace else, we'd call it "cooning." The world is unfair. Anyway, the theme of gentrification is very interesting to me, and I wish Spike would have just stuck with that story, such as it were, rather than shift the focus to Reverend Enoch's past indiscretion and resulting deliverance.

It was cool to see not just Mookie (who, as I predicted, did not have his "legacy ruined" by being in this movie) but it was also cool to see Nola Darling, who is now "Mother Darling," a Jehovah's Witness. Some who like to look for fights about these things might try to argue that this is Spike "punishing" his earlier character for her sex life a long time ago, but I'm not sure how much I'd buy into that bullshit. I'm surprised that any number of opinionated bloggers hasn't tried to make that argument. Guess I should wait until the movie goes wider.

And while this movie's not a direct sequel to Do the Right Thing, it shares the same kind of tone: comedy and slice-of-life storytelling until there's a major plot point and some resulting seriousness in the last third. But unlike that movie, this one ends on a note of hope.

Great score by Bruce "That's Just the Way it Is" Hornsby.

I didn't buy that Flik was THAT naive about stuff, such as not knowing what kayaking was.

Nate Parker is my man, but he's a bit too old to be playing a gangbanger. Or at least it seems like it.

Also, I think that final thing at the end that people will clown was Flik's video present to Chazz. That's the only way I can explain the... cheesiness of it.

In addition, Flik's mama could have GOT IT.

But yeah, I liked it. If you see this, it's going to be interesting to talk about afterwards. Like it always is with Spike.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Aug-27-12 07:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
40. "Two questions"
In response to Reply # 39
Mon Aug-27-12 07:53 AM by BigReg

*Spoilers*
I really hated the gang banger character, at least I found how he was written was a bit too cartoonish. The animosity he had towards Peters character they eventually explained (his mother never liked him either), but at the same time he just felt off...more of a stereotype then an actual person.

And like I complained above, the Ipad thing you saw a mile away but that ending montage...holy shit that was cheezy as fuck for no reason.

And 110% co-sign to this...

>In addition, Flik's mama could have GOT IT.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sat Nov-10-12 03:08 PM

41. "."
In response to Reply # 0

lfresh
92696 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 04:35 PM

42. "Ok finally saw it (spoiler)"
In response to Reply # 0

It was ok

And I'm ok with it being ok
In the end I'm glad spike made it the overall result bring more stories instead of less
ESP on the Indie scene

The beginning dragged a lot for me
The kids were definitely amateurs

When it got rolling though the complexity of feeling sympathy of someone you aren't supposed to with the background of church activity and the members
It shone through

I was fine for the montage

The dealer didn't get enough exposition...complexity

The drunk uncle alo felt a bit ham fisted

Ok spoiler

Only thing I can't imagine is a family member allowing that boy to stay alone with him for the summer
~~~~
~~~~

astralblak
20029 posts
Mon Dec-24-12 07:37 PM

43. "after having no interest, saw it in Red Box and was glad i did "
In response to Reply # 0

shit was good

the kids were not good enough actors to hold that much screen time and their dialogue was cringe worthy at times, but the things they were doing and experiencing seemed very honest and accurately dipicted

also the look, feel, and themes being explored within the film worked IMO. it also had a lot of heart. seemed like a scaled back Spike exploring Brooklyn in contrast to the way he explored it in Clockers

i never dig "preachy" criticisms on films. at times things may seem forced or awkward, but ALL FILMS preach about the most mundane to down right conservative shit and NO when ever brings it up. It seems only when left of center directors do it is it a problem

anyways 3 or 3.5 out of 5

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Sat Dec-29-12 09:30 AM

44. "RE: Red Hook Summer (Lee, 2012)"
In response to Reply # 0

I wanted to see this movie so badly when it first came out but it didnt last long at all at theaters because the critics tore it apart and I sent the 2 dollar theater in atlanta,ga an email requesting this movie but they never responded but it doesnt surprise me since creative loafing never gives any black movie a good review. I had a friend burn this movie along with flight onto a dvd and I want to see it for myself just because the critics tore it apart and because I never see a good review for a black movie in their newsletters.

Frank Longo
86643 posts
Sat Dec-29-12 03:10 PM

45. "This was a mess."
In response to Reply # 0

Clarke Peters and some of the other actors gave strong performances...

... but the narrative was crazy disjointed and boy oh boy the two main actors-- the children-- were ROOOOOOUGH. Probably the worst child performances I've seen in years. No offense to them, that's on Spike and the casting department.

Some great moments, some really shitty moments. It's all over the place.

Brother Rabbit
Member since Oct 31st 2007
1617 posts
Sat Dec-29-12 05:15 PM

46. "No that's on Spike"
In response to Reply # 45

He hand-picked the two leads, sat in the back of a class in observation. I just can't fathom those two as being the picks of the litter. That young lady needs to study nursing or something, cause an actress she is not....not at all.

They're bureaucrats! I don't respect them.(c)Rick Sanchez

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Sun Dec-30-12 10:47 PM

47. "Wow, this movie was god awful. Easily Spike's Worst"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Dec-30-12 10:48 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

Caught it on Netflix. I am having a hard understanding the lukewarm to modest praise in this post. Everything about this movie seemed amaeturish. cinematography ( spike if you are going to shoot digital you need to learn how to shoot digital), screenwriting, acting. I guess y'all are being kind because they are kids but those two kids were just painful to watch (and this is the same director that directed the magnificent cast of kids in Crooklyn).

I guess I can see the claim that Clarke Peters did a good job but he was dealing with such awful dialogue and otherwise his character made no sense.

And my suspicion that the films would be a hatchet job against the black church was confirmed. His agenda had him on such a one track mind that inserted a bomb shell that absolutely no sense in the context of the story. I was suspecting some subtle questioning of the role of the black church in the black community but there was nothing subtle about this at all. It just seemed strange to me that someone who admittedly never spent much time in the black church would go in so hard against the black church as part of the problem for poor black people. Of all the problems facing poor black folks, is the black church even in the top 20.

I love spike. Wrote my thesis on his collective work but if someone showed me this film as a new directors first film I would think that that filmmaker had no future in filmmaking.

No wonder spike mad at QT. in 2012 QT made the most talked about black movie of the year and he released this garbage.

"naive as the dry leaves on the ground looking past the trees to the blue sky asking 'why me?'" -Blu

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Mon Dec-31-12 12:01 AM

48. "Spike's still got Bad 25, though"
In response to Reply # 47

I know, "but nobody saw it" but it's really good, another in a line of solid documentaries that Spike has made in the past few years

Which leads me to almost ask the blasphemous question if he should almost completely turn his focus to doing those instead of straight narrative films. I haven't minded the last few, but his docs far outshine the fiction work.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Everybody knows that the best way to Attack The Media Status Quo™ is... by posting on a message board!

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Mon Dec-31-12 09:00 AM

49. "Spike needs to quit writing."
In response to Reply # 48

I don't think he has ever been a strong writer. He can be good at using other folks material as source but when he writes the who thing it can be torture. Te one exception is do the right thing but I think the secret there was he brought together an ultra talented cast and let them do their thing.

I think if he had any big name stars in red hook summer they would have pushed back on the dialogue with the ole Harrison ford , "you can type this shit, but you sure has hell can't say it."

Why I still fuzz with the Lesson
http://open.spotify.com/user/brothersport86/playlist/3DhEhilho77Z0UCPbJlEJf

astralblak
20029 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 10:13 PM

52. "no, more like YOUR insecurities of how the church is being"

represented, than this film being a universal bashing of that institution.

the film is more about how an INDIVIDUAL's corruption is allowed to go unnoticed within the church and how his congregation reacts to the revelation of his crime.

and that shit was pretty apparent and foreshadowed in the movie. it wasn't out of left field for me

and yes, IMO, the church is top 20 probs in ANY community/ but we don't need to have that conversation.

BUT You are correct, the writing is terrible in this film and Spike in this day and time should go other writers

Frank Longo
86643 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 05:52 PM

55. "I wouldn't call it a hatchet job against the church at all."

If anything, you begin to see the positive impact that his preaching is having on this boy's life. He's starting to see the light... until the confession takes it away.

It's about how individuals are fucking up what could be a hugely beneficial institution for young people by putting them in harm's way and making them scared, betrayed, and resentful. But the benefit that the church can present is definitely woven into the film's fabric.

JAESCOTT777
28487 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 07:02 AM

57. "yeah i agree with this same can be said for X"
In response to Reply # 55

i think he even said as much in the film.

something like: "NOI is the greatest organization ever created for black people..ruined by ngaz"

>
>It's about how individuals are fucking up what could be a
>hugely beneficial institution for young people by putting them
>in harm's way and making them scared, betrayed, and resentful.
>But the benefit that the church can present is definitely
>woven into the film's fabric.

Deluge
Charter member
64711 posts
Mon Dec-31-12 07:59 PM

50. "Ancestors wept. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8599 posts
Wed Jan-02-13 06:32 PM

51. "Longo is pretty much correct."
In response to Reply # 0

nm

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:01 PM

53. "finally watched....what a mess"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-23-13 02:06 PM by CherNic

shoutout to Downtown Clay Davis tho!

woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 05:27 PM

54. "those two kids were terrible"
In response to Reply # 0

the girl was especially bad.
as was their dialogue.
no children of that age talk like that anymore.

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

JAESCOTT777
28487 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 06:07 AM

56. "Finally peeped ...it's bad his worst film "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-01-13 06:12 AM by JAESCOTT777

Shot horribly ESP for the first acts.
Looked like he shot it on an I phone.

The 3rd act actually seemed a lot better
He must have ran low on dough and cut more corners
In the 1st 45 min the movie in gen seemed to drag on big time.

The kids are awful no getting around it
Flick in particular. I actually didn't mind Chazz
She also seemed a lot better near the end
But Flick is now in my top 5 worst kid actor ever. might even be #1 overtaking j rock from south central.

The big "reveal", even though I knew what it was I REALLY did not see it coming
I thought that sequence was acted beautifully. The dude who played the "special" donor was really good. The movie from that point on improved but this is some shit.

Clarke peters is an amazing actor
He was incredible during the "reveal" scene
It's sad cause I feel like he was wasted in this. I hope he gets more work.

Spike is still my hero
But this shit should've been straight to DVD

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 08:18 AM

58. "RE: Finally peeped ...it's bad his worst film "
In response to Reply # 56

Thats Crazy yo...!!!!!

I jsut finished it yesterday too on Netflix.... there is something special about Spikes Movies.

I want to not like it but honestly ... I want to watch it again.. something about this movie ....

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #580652 Previous topic | Next topic