Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #576525

Subject: "Top Chef: Just Desserts 2" Previous topic | Next topic
will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Tue Aug-16-11 07:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Top Chef: Just Desserts 2"

premiere is next Wednesday, Aug. 24.

for all its faults, I actually liked the first season. Iuzzini is a good judge, and it ended really strong. yeah it was overly catty and some of the challenges needed refining, but the same was true for the first two seasons of the original TC.

one of the contestants, Chris Hanmer, I recognize from a lot of those Food Network Challenges. he's won pretty much every one he's entered. another, Matthew Peterson, is the pastry chef at CityZen in D.C. I ate there last fall and had a technically great dessert (although chocolate isn't my favorite), so I'll probably root for him just out of local interest.

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef-just-desserts

--------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
first episode
Aug 25th 2011
I was glad they got rid of the person they got rid of
Aug 25th 2011
are you gonna spray something on our faces too?
Sep 22nd 2011
It wasn't just a bad day
Sep 22nd 2011
      bad day
Sep 22nd 2011
Oct 21st 2011
I liked the format of last year's finale better
Oct 27th 2011
Yeah, I didn't give a fuck about a showpiece
Oct 27th 2011
      Give em sous chefs, then complain when they use em
Oct 27th 2011

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Thu Aug-25-11 12:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "first episode"
In response to Reply # 0

they dove right in with the melodramatic team challenge. I knew Orlando and Chris were going to kill it because they have all that showpiece experience. Craig (who is like a cartoon character) seems like a sacrificial lamb; he got bailed out by his teammates this time but is not long for the competition.

and while the overall cast talent is probably higher this year, I learned they were allowed to use recipes this season. which I think is appropriate for pastry -- the recipes are more like formulas, not cheat sheets, and you want to see the competitors at their best.

oh and Heather from last year had that patch on her forehead because a camera fell on her during filming. yes, I know too much about these shows.

--------

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Thu Aug-25-11 02:38 PM

2. "I was glad they got rid of the person they got rid of"
In response to Reply # 1

I kept trying to watch last season but couldn't stand watching the people.
Off the bat I like this group more,
but they still need to win me over with better challenges.

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Thu Sep-22-11 03:43 PM

3. "are you gonna spray something on our faces too?"
In response to Reply # 0

predictably, the super team of Orlando-Chris-Matthew were at the bottom in this challenge. misnomers, questionable ice cream technique and going for restaurant-style plating -- invariable to the conditions -- were all to blame. Iuzzini is the perfect judge. he just throws daggers to the heart the entire time.

Katzie killed it again -- that baked alaska spumoni was another clever winner. really dug that fizzy cherry on top. although her idol worship of Pichet Ong was creepy. she was staring at him like he was made out of cocoa nibs during the quickfire.

I was a little sad to see tattoo-sleeved Amanda leave. she was talented (that candy bar looked sick); just had a bad day.

--------

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Thu Sep-22-11 03:51 PM

4. "It wasn't just a bad day"
In response to Reply # 3

It was a bad dessert BEFORE it hardened up.
Orlando was creative and missed (and seemed to have Iuzzini riled up before he even tasted it), but his biggest problem was including the word "float." Was it just root beer flavored dessert they wouldn't have complained as much.
But Amanda? She not only made a poor funnel cake, she also made a poor funnel cake with a dab of ice cream and a spoon of fruit. That's it.
I liked her a lot, and she was nice to look at, but it was definitely the right decision.

I still plan on only watching every other episode of this, cause it's just not as good as the OG.

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Thu Sep-22-11 03:58 PM

5. "bad day"
In response to Reply # 4

as in she made bad choices for this challenge. pretty much everyone does it at some point; you either survive because someone was worse or you go home.

--------

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Fri Oct-21-11 06:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-21-11 06:46 PM by biscuit

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*Effasig*

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Thu Oct-27-11 05:57 PM

7. "I liked the format of last year's finale better"
In response to Reply # 0

four-course dessert tasting. the showpiece and bon bon stuff is more classic and technical but boring in comparison -- they've been showing competitions like that for years on TV. I wouldn't want the regular Top Chef finale* to be like the Bocuse d'Or.

although Kings of Pastry, which is all about the MOF process, is a good documentary. it was on Netflix instant for the 10 okayplayers who didn't cancel their subscription.

* yes I know they did something like this in S6, but it wasn't one of the final challenges.

--------

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Thu Oct-27-11 08:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Yeah, I didn't give a fuck about a showpiece"
In response to Reply # 7

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66720 posts
Thu Oct-27-11 08:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Give em sous chefs, then complain when they use em"
In response to Reply # 8

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #576525 Previous topic | Next topic