Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #567841

Subject: ""50/50" (JGL & Seth Rogen)" Previous topic | Next topic
little bredren
Member since Apr 18th 2005
3286 posts
Sat May-28-11 06:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""50/50" (JGL & Seth Rogen)"
Sat May-28-11 06:13 PM by little bredren

"50/50" (Levine, Gordon-Levitt, Rogen, Kendrick, Howard, Huston & Baker Hall) Movie Trailer:

http://recordinglivefromsomewhere.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/5050-levine-gordon-levitt-rogen-kendrick-howard-huston-baker-hall-movie-trailer/

“A comedic account of a 27-year-old guy’s cancer diagnosis, and his subsequent struggle to beat the disease.”

Looks like they found a perfect balance between heart and humour. From the director of The Wackness.

Music, movies, and everything in between: http://recordinglivefromsomewhere.com & http://twitter.com/marko_orlic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Why put Rogen in this
May 29th 2011
hmmmm
May 29th 2011
I want this to be funny, I like JGL & Rogen but based off the trailer
May 29th 2011
I'll see it for JGL
May 29th 2011
While I like everyone involved...the trailer didnt sell me. n/m
May 30th 2011
Just want to be a positive voice
May 30th 2011
UP for the wide release
Oct 01st 2011
Saw this shit on Tuesday
Oct 01st 2011
Picks up in the third act.
Oct 01st 2011
Mysterious Skin?
Oct 03rd 2011
      Oh yeah, the teenage prostitue movie I've avoided.
Oct 03rd 2011
           He's like a warmer Keanu.
Oct 03rd 2011
I really like it but one quibble (spoiler)
Oct 02nd 2011
fuuuuuuck thiiiiiis movie
Oct 06th 2011
Rogen actually ACTED in this
Oct 09th 2011
uninspired as a whole, none of the characters click
Oct 09th 2011
Why do you say that about Seattle?
Oct 28th 2011
late to the party, but I actually really liked it
Dec 19th 2011

woodsen2
Member since Jan 14th 2003
996 posts
Sun May-29-11 02:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Why put Rogen in this"
In response to Reply # 0

Seems terribly similar to role he played in Funny People. He was terrible in that and I'm sure will be terrible in this.

But Gordon Levitt is great, so I'll probably still see it

Mageddon
Charter member
4018 posts
Sun May-29-11 10:47 AM

2. "hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 0

Not necessarily a fan of Rogen, or JGL.

HATED The Wackness.

I'm gonna pass on this one.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Sun May-29-11 11:43 AM

3. "I want this to be funny, I like JGL & Rogen but based off the trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm skipping this.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sun May-29-11 02:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I'll see it for JGL"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Mon May-30-11 11:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "While I like everyone involved...the trailer didnt sell me. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon May-30-11 05:07 PM

6. "Just want to be a positive voice"
In response to Reply # 0

Never saw Funny People. Thought Whackness was ok but poorly constructed. This trailer had me having feelings like a motherfuck, maybe if only because I had a similar scare that turned out to be some other shit. But I was watching this trailer like, damn, I reacted to my situation the same way until I finally found out it was a different situation.

I'm 22 by the way, but I have had three friends already that battled various cancers. Maybe that's my ignition. All I know is I liked this trailer A LOT. I had to show a bunch of people right away.

~~~~~~~~~
I don't check my inbox.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee

http://www.potholesinmyblog.com

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sat Oct-01-11 12:43 PM

7. "UP for the wide release"
In response to Reply # 0

Just got back from this, and it was incredible. Easily in my top 5 for films I've seen this year, this walks the line of crude humor and heart better than any of Apatow's flicks (and I like those.)

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Sat Oct-01-11 02:45 PM

8. "Saw this shit on Tuesday"
In response to Reply # 0

I was really impressed. Great comedy and drama. And it doesn't overstay it's welcome at 90 minutes either.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Sat Oct-01-11 04:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Picks up in the third act."
In response to Reply # 0

A little too basic at times: characters, narrative, thematically, music etc. Sort of just skates along at a B-minus clip until it becomes something else / stronger in the final third*.

I actually thought Rogen was the most consistent performer. I mean, he's playing himself, so there's not much to the performance, but he's at least interesting front-to-back and probably also gets the most rewarding laugh (see: cathartic).

I still have yet to find that one performance that sells me on Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but, in fairness to him, he's not given much room to breathe / stretch until the end.

I'd put it just a notch below Moneyball, which is another film people seem to be enthusiastic about that sort of amiably though unspectacularly makes the grade for most of the movie and then finally hits its stride in the concluding act. There's a stronger central performance in Moneyball and a couple of memorable sequences--don't think 50/50 has one standout scene--but both are, for better or worse, the work of clearly second-tier directors. Nothing amazing going on.

*SPOILERS

Anna Kendrick looking at her watch really got to me.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Mon Oct-03-11 03:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Mysterious Skin?"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon Oct-03-11 03:34 AM by Sponge

>I still have yet to find that one performance that sells me on
>Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but, in fairness to him, he's not given
>much room to breathe / stretch until the end.

I pretty much hate JGL and forgot to post about him in the recent actors you hate post but I reluctantly have to give him props for his work in Mysterious Skin. He's great there. Other than that, I really don't get why some people think he's the best actor his age (give or take a few years) in America, but that's because I just hate his face and can't say I can evaluate him fairly.

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Mon Oct-03-11 08:56 AM

12. "Oh yeah, the teenage prostitue movie I've avoided."
In response to Reply # 11

>>I still have yet to find that one performance that sells me
>on
>>Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but, in fairness to him, he's not
>given
>>much room to breathe / stretch until the end.
>
>I pretty much hate JGL and forgot to post about him in the
>recent actors you hate post but I reluctantly have to give him
>props for his work in Mysterious Skin. He's great there. Other
>than that, I really don't get why some people think he's the
>best actor his age (give or take a few years) in America, but
>that's because I just hate his face and can't say I can
>evaluate him fairly.

I'm pretty close to being in that same camp.

Scott Frank called him "young Keanu," which I think was intended as a term of endearment but still . . .

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Oct-03-11 09:59 AM

13. "He's like a warmer Keanu."
In response to Reply # 12

I think he is more expressive and tends to be a bit more physical than we've seen from Keanu in awhile. JGL's wheels turn when often Keanu's don't. But I don't think the comparison is wrong.

I like JGL, especially in these "cool young guy" kind of roles, since he's cute enough that girls like him but not good-looking enough that guys don't. He's got a good everyyoungman appeal. But you're right that he doesn't have an incredible performance in the books-- he just picks interesting projects which gives him a high profile in the minds of many.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sun Oct-02-11 10:44 PM

10. "I really like it but one quibble (spoiler)"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't think that he and Anna Kendrick should have gotten together. Probably not a good look for a doctoral candidate to start dating her third patient. I thought they had a nice connection but I would have just preferred that they had a mutually beneficial friendship or something.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it. The acting was great. Anjelica Houston stole the show. I'm very happy that Gordon-Levitt was in it instead of James McAvoy. Not that McAvoy couldn't have pulled it off but I think JGL was perfect for the role. Bryce Dallas Howard really needs to get herself in a nice role or she's going to be typecast as a bitch.

Definitely recommend it. It might not knock your socks off but it's one of the best movies I've seen this year.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Oct-06-11 12:20 AM

14. "fuuuuuuck thiiiiiis movie"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Oct-09-11 08:32 AM

15. "Rogen actually ACTED in this"
In response to Reply # 0

seriously, this movie is good stuff
I know comedy performances rarely get nominated for awards but as a supporting actor Seth Rogen pulled off probably the hardest thing to do in a film-mix comedy and drama with an acting performance and have them play off one another to the point of it being natural
don't sleep on this movie, niggas

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Sun Oct-09-11 08:34 AM

16. "uninspired as a whole, none of the characters click"
In response to Reply # 0

just a morose drag of a movie, much like Seattle, a morose drag of a town. I guess that was the point of the setting?

The mom nails it towards the end. That's pretty much all that's worth watching. The rest is just this tepid and plodding death march through this meek dude's months of suffering.

I needed a beer after this flick.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Fri Oct-28-11 06:54 PM

17. "Why do you say that about Seattle?"
In response to Reply # 16

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Mon Dec-19-11 08:59 AM

18. "late to the party, but I actually really liked it"
In response to Reply # 0

and Seth Rogen had me LOL like 5 times...

Other then that it was a movie I thought that was easy to connect too, I thought JGL did a great job of portraying someone with this life altering curveball thrown at him, how you want to play it cool but it's scary as shit

I liked it... little more somber then I expected but that's a good thing based on subject matter

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #567841 Previous topic | Next topic