Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #562769

Subject: "Friday Night Lights Season 5 (NBC)" Previous topic | Next topic
Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Mon Apr-18-11 06:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Friday Night Lights Season 5 (NBC)"

Didn't see an NBC post and I don't want to use the DirecTV post to avoid spoilers.

Final season is under way and I was kind of underwhelmed with the premier. I don't really see what is being set up this season. The Riggins storyline will be interesting with Billy trying to do what Tim would want but other than that I don't see much.

Tammy helping out the bottom of the barrel students has been done, but I guess this time they will be black!

I don't like the idea of the team being a playoff caliber team out of nowhere, they should still stink, adding a WR who never played football before can't change that.

I guess things will happen for Landry and Julie at college, but that is kind of far away from the point of the show.

I dont know, I trust in the show because it has been great for years, but I expected more from a season premier.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this season delivers
Apr 19th 2011
Decent start, more of a general transition ep than anything else
Apr 22nd 2011
you didn't watch during the DirecTV run?
Apr 24th 2011
Excellent ep...just a great character episode
Apr 24th 2011
Another good one
May 02nd 2011
Just caught up on 3 episodes last night
May 17th 2011
the obsession with winning the right way irks me
May 27th 2011
What happened to JT and the Panthers coach?
May 29th 2011
i think they just disappeared. cause they should def be there.
May 30th 2011
      Ya it was weird since that was the whole reason Taylor was fired
May 30th 2011
           Taylor was on the chopping block for losing only 1 or 2 games before
May 31st 2011
                Good point
May 31st 2011
Doesn't bother me, that's what Coach has always been about
May 31st 2011
i guess it irks me cause i've never really been about it.
May 31st 2011
      a great example of what LA2Philly is saying is in Sea. 3
Jun 01st 2011
Riggins is my fave...and that Punter dude. The funny looking
Jul 17th 2011
So I guess this is where my own screwy logic comes in after this episode
Jun 05th 2011
Luke is being a jealous little bitch
Jun 05th 2011
why is Tim Riggins hair always wet?
Jun 18th 2011
Lol, right? Especially in that Texas heat
Jun 18th 2011
Jess went IN on Vince! Cotdamn
Jun 18th 2011
i died laughing when Billy put the pregnancy test stick in his mouth.
Jun 19th 2011
Yea that epic scene was stupid
Jun 22nd 2011
Anyplace online i can go to watch the rest of the season....
Jun 18th 2011
Just grab a torrent.
Jun 18th 2011
after the last episode I couldnt wait any longer
Jun 22nd 2011
that last ep is one of the best eps of any show EVER.
Jun 22nd 2011
      indeed (spoilers)
Jun 22nd 2011
Come on a-holes get your spoilers out of here
Jun 23rd 2011
Series finale tonight
Jul 15th 2011
wow that was perfect. thats how you do a finale.
Jul 15th 2011
Yup I teared up several times
Jul 15th 2011
:/ It was a good ride.
Jul 17th 2011
Berg wants to do another FNL movie?!?! (Swip)
Jul 17th 2011

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Tue Apr-19-11 02:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this season delivers"
In response to Reply # 0

trust me. i know you didn't get into the DirecTV post, but we all agreed that it was a good/great season and also one of the best finales you'll ever see. its like the other seasons where there's a few eps that don't totally hit the mark, but that happens in all tv shows.

>Didn't see an NBC post and I don't want to use the DirecTV
>post to avoid spoilers.
>
>Final season is under way and I was kind of underwhelmed with
>the premier. I don't really see what is being set up this
>season. The Riggins storyline will be interesting with Billy
>trying to do what Tim would want but other than that I don't
>see much.
>
>Tammy helping out the bottom of the barrel students has been
>done, but I guess this time they will be black!
>
>I don't like the idea of the team being a playoff caliber team
>out of nowhere, they should still stink, adding a WR who never
>played football before can't change that.
>
>I guess things will happen for Landry and Julie at college,
>but that is kind of far away from the point of the show.
>
>I dont know, I trust in the show because it has been great for
>years, but I expected more from a season premier.
>
>______________________
><----- Grahampionship

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Fri Apr-22-11 12:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Decent start, more of a general transition ep than anything else"
In response to Reply # 0

Getting Landry and Julie to college, setting up the Vince/his girl & family dynamic, Becky's situation, the Tim and Billy thing, introducing white dude with the brokest jumper I've ever seen and getting him onto the football team, the contrast between Tammy and the hopelessness of the other admin at East Dillon....just setting up storylines.

The most interesting scene to me, and why I love the show so much, was the scene at the dinner table where Julie had to go see Landry play on his last night in town. The way Coach and Tammy reacted so differently than they normally would to such a reasonable request due to their anxiety/sadness over Julie going off was just excellent...I love how the show tackles these issues so realistically and the character's don't just fit into the same mold every time but rather actually react how real humans would. The psychology of the writing is amazing imo.

Looking forward to more...

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sun Apr-24-11 03:30 AM

4. "you didn't watch during the DirecTV run?"
In response to Reply # 2

i could have swore you did. anyway, if you had seen the other thread you would have read how we clowned that dudes bball skills in that thread as well. that dudes game was broke! hahaha!

>Getting Landry and Julie to college, setting up the Vince/his
>girl & family dynamic, Becky's situation, the Tim and Billy
>thing, introducing white dude with the brokest jumper I've
>ever seen and getting him onto the football team, the contrast
>between Tammy and the hopelessness of the other admin at East
>Dillon....just setting up storylines.

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Sun Apr-24-11 03:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Excellent ep...just a great character episode "
In response to Reply # 0

The scene between Coach and Tammi in Julie's room was one of the best of the series...coach clowning and basically just making up sayings lmao. One of those little scenes that adds so much to the characters and relationships...and makes the show so great.

The East Dillon players are great..Vince and Cafferty are excellent characters and now we're getting even more screentime with them.

The Julie stuff is ok, interested to see where that goes beyond the obvious extra-marital stuff.

The most interesting aspect to me was the politics bs Coach is now faced with...that meeting at Dillon was a great scene.

The characters are just too good, can't wait for more.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Mon May-02-11 02:11 PM

5. "Another good one"
In response to Reply # 0

Dealing with all the fallout from the drunk chick, Vince dealing with his had, Buddy with his son, Julie with the married dude.

Seeing Tami actually pissed at during that alcohol/drugs seminar was interesting, hopefully it goes a bit further with that white girl and we see more of her process rather than just a change.

The Vince stuff was another interesting angle dealing with his dad...Coach Taylor's talk with him was just another one of his great ones. Seriously, is there a character in the history of television who handles situations better than Coach? Dude is the most poignant individual in the world. Even his talk with Buddy was great.

My favorite scene of the ep was again between Coach and Tami...when they are at the house with the baby and Tami uses the baby to convince Coach...and he just gives her that look lol. Tremendous scene. Another great one was when Coach says 'we never did this stuff as kids' and they both walk away with like a yeh, right look lol.

Keep it going...wanna see some more Cafferty.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Tue May-17-11 02:25 PM

6. "Just caught up on 3 episodes last night"
In response to Reply # 0

I love this show but so much of it is feeling rehashed to me at this point which I know puts me in the minority.

I liked the idea of a struggling team and don't get how they are just awesome now even with Vince and Luke.

The dad thing is needed for Vince's character, but it's all so redone right now.

I do love Coach and Tami though, every time they are on screen and every interaction they have is great. I love their little things like him saying we didn't do this kind of stuff when we were kids followed by them laughing and walking away.

I like the show but I'm hoping for some more right now, not sure what exactly

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Fri May-27-11 08:03 PM

7. "the obsession with winning the right way irks me"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-27-11 08:03 PM by BrooklynWHAT

like, i see why they do it because it makes for good TV with all the morals and lesson.

but there's something to be said for having an absolutely nasty team. i enjoyed seeing them put the wood to the Panthers.

this is probably my favorite season so far. Vince and Luke are cool. out of the old bunch i only really liked Smash. everybody else seemed hopeless in a pathetic way. but i wish it werent so predictable.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Sun May-29-11 09:27 PM

8. "What happened to JT and the Panthers coach?"
In response to Reply # 7

Dude should be a Junior at this point so you'd figure him and the hand picked coach for him would be there.

Seemed weird to see them with a lifetime assitant and a shitty QB, it's like the Panthers just fell off when Taylor left which seems kind of unrealistic based on the school's history.

Just a thing I noticed this week

BrooklynWHAT
85077 posts
Mon May-30-11 02:29 AM

9. "i think they just disappeared. cause they should def be there."
In response to Reply # 8

Dillon probably aint win states so his family and their handpicked coach probably fucked off somewhere else.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Mon May-30-11 07:30 AM

10. "Ya it was weird since that was the whole reason Taylor was fired"
In response to Reply # 9

Then after 1 season they are just gone despite only losing 1 game last year to East Dillon.

Now for some reason they just looked like a terrible team, if they are going to go that route they should at least have a talk radio segment talking about the fall of Dillon or something just to keep some continuity.

I dunno it hasn't spoiled the main plots going on but I was just excited to see JT vs Vince round 2

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Tue May-31-11 01:09 AM

11. "Taylor was on the chopping block for losing only 1 or 2 games before"
In response to Reply # 10

so wade losing to their cross town rivals, the lion, and not getting to state would be enough reason in dillon to cut him loose.

>Then after 1 season they are just gone despite only losing 1
>game last year to East Dillon.
>
>Now for some reason they just looked like a terrible team, if
>they are going to go that route they should at least have a
>talk radio segment talking about the fall of Dillon or
>something just to keep some continuity.
>
>I dunno it hasn't spoiled the main plots going on but I was
>just excited to see JT vs Vince round 2

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Tue May-31-11 09:01 AM

12. "Good point"
In response to Reply # 11

They got rid of the first coach to replace Coach Taylor after a few games so that would make sense to fire him after losing to East Dillon.

The JT thing still should have been written out in some way though, his character was annoying but I thought he was a good character to have, the privileged talented rich QB that nobody liked.

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Tue May-31-11 12:20 PM

13. "Doesn't bother me, that's what Coach has always been about"
In response to Reply # 7

It's more than a game to him obviously...the way you play on the field translates to other parts of your life. You saw how distraught he was with the Julie thing, he's all about character...but he also understands when you need to give a little back like when he gave the go ahead a couple eps ago to get a little dirty. This was different because it more about disrespecting the other team than anything else.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

BrooklynWHAT
85077 posts
Tue May-31-11 05:47 PM

14. "i guess it irks me cause i've never really been about it."
In response to Reply # 13

IDK. i've always made a clear distinction between how i conduct myself in life vs sports. it's hard for some people to do that. guess it depends on how you view the game. some folks view it as a mirror for life. some folks take it as face value.

i fall on the latter.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Wed Jun-01-11 12:57 AM

15. "a great example of what LA2Philly is saying is in Sea. 3"
In response to Reply # 14

the episode is title "Keeping Up Appearances." in that episode coach loses his fullback because the kid never told his parents he was playing football and forged their signatures to get on the team. coach and tami go over to the parents house to talk to them about letting the kid play and during that convo tami makes a case as to how football is more than just football and how coach is able to help mold these young kids into young men.

>IDK. i've always made a clear distinction between how i
>conduct myself in life vs sports. it's hard for some people to
>do that. guess it depends on how you view the game. some folks
>view it as a mirror for life. some folks take it as face
>value.
>
>i fall on the latter.

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Sun Jul-17-11 03:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
33. "Riggins is my fave...and that Punter dude. The funny looking"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun Jul-17-11 03:39 AM by FireBrand

cat.

"Slaves got options...cowards aint got shit." --PS
"Once upon a time, little need existed for making the distinction between a nigga and a black—at least not in this country, the place where niggas were invented" -- Donnell A

BrooklynWHAT
85077 posts
Sun Jun-05-11 06:07 PM

16. "So I guess this is where my own screwy logic comes in after this episode"
In response to Reply # 0

but I'd be happy to have one of my teammates being courted and scouted by the biggest programs, just on the off chance that I could impress them while they were visiting to watch him.

getting to what i really want to talk about, i know this isnt going to happen but i'd like to see the aftermath if they were to lose after Coach benches Vince. that'd be some epic TV.

Vince's dad going absolutely ham.
Coach maybe questioning his own methods.
Vince (wrongfully empowered by his team's loss without him) vs the team.

i feel like it would make the retribution story that comes after that much better.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Sun Jun-05-11 06:55 PM

17. "Luke is being a jealous little bitch"
In response to Reply # 16

It's making me mad just how jealous of Vince he is being, especially since with the exception of that one TV interview Vince has been friendly to everyone and a good teammate.

Sucks for Luke that TMU used him to get to Vince but it's not like Vince knew that was going on.

I wonder where they are going with how that episode ended though. Coach looks like he is ready to walk away from the game as he can't deal with these kids anymore (Julie and his team), not sure that going to college to coach would fix that issue.

Also Julie WTF? Just bailing on college to go see Matt. I didn't see that coming at all so great writing, but it pisses me off the way she has such understanding cool parents and still fucks up all the time.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Sat Jun-18-11 06:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "why is Tim Riggins hair always wet?"
In response to Reply # 0

dude in prison yet its got just a little bit of moisture.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Sat Jun-18-11 12:42 PM

20. "Lol, right? Especially in that Texas heat "
In response to Reply # 18

It's like he has someone following him around with a squirt gun all day.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Sat Jun-18-11 12:40 PM

19. "Jess went IN on Vince! Cotdamn "
In response to Reply # 0

I was just waiting for that scene...all the little shots of her disgust over the past couple eps and she finally had enough with this boy's head getting a little too fat. Great scene with Vince and his mom as well...you knew that was coming when they showed a couple of her reaction shots during vince's convo w his dad. Speaking of his dad, how heated was he? His face during the game had me dying...he was about to choke the shit outta coach.

I wanna see this angle with Shane st...Coach is really feeling the stress this year with all the teenage angst from all angles, hinted he might just wanna get the hell out(although the whole dealing with 'grownups' thing is a bit much...those kids can be e even worse). His relationship with Vince and the team is always interesting.

Tami and Epic...sucks. The other teacher really needs some confrontational classes.

Cafferty...couldn't make a read to save his life from under center, glad he finally got that shotgun option going and that td gave him some swag to deal with his mom lol.

Not sure where the Billy and wife thing is headed. Have to say with them getting more airtime, their acting abilities are getting really showcased. The little mannerisms are great.

Last but def not least, my boy Matty Saracen. Still prob my fav character, other than coach of course, and boy does he deliver whenever he is on screen. Julie finally made one good choice in her life.

Looking forward to Riggs return next week.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

BrooklynWHAT
85077 posts
Sun Jun-19-11 04:08 AM

23. "i died laughing when Billy put the pregnancy test stick in his mouth."
In response to Reply # 19

Dude was feeling himself too hard.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Wed Jun-22-11 02:53 PM

24. "Yea that epic scene was stupid"
In response to Reply # 19

Maybe it's been too long since I was in high school but what the fuck.

Just grabbing the girls purse like she can go through it, not trying to talk it through just yelling how she stole it. I hated that whole scene.

Loving Vince's dad getting heated and costing Vince playing time and probably more as time goes on. His addition to the show has been perfect only because it took all of last season for Vince to really straighten up and then his dad makes it unravel so quickly.

How is LUke the backup QB when he cant handle a snap also? And why werent they giving him some options before 2 minutes left?

I love this show but sometimes the giant gaps in logic make me laugh

gizzy_womack
Charter member
2356 posts
Sat Jun-18-11 01:15 PM

21. "Anyplace online i can go to watch the rest of the season...."
In response to Reply # 0

without infecting my computer with the Ebola virus??

I love this show too much to wait. But last time I went to sidereel...my laptop came out looking like Tom Cruise in Vanilla Sky.

-------------

"I asked GOD to help me fly away, and if not, then please keep your eye on me"

I'm just your average everyday stockbroker.

Who is John Galt??

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Sat Jun-18-11 07:58 PM

22. "Just grab a torrent."
In response to Reply # 21

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed Jun-22-11 03:01 PM

25. "after the last episode I couldnt wait any longer"
In response to Reply # 0

and had to go find the rest of them. All I can say is wow, this show will be missed.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Wed Jun-22-11 06:52 PM

26. "that last ep is one of the best eps of any show EVER."
In response to Reply # 25

especially that last 20 minutes. it was perfect. music, editing, acting, the emotional involvement, the way they gave you resolutions to everyones story and yet were able to leave them open ended to let your imagination fill in whatever you want for them. perfect.

>and had to go find the rest of them. All I can say is wow,
>this show will be missed.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed Jun-22-11 08:25 PM

27. "indeed (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 26
Wed Jun-22-11 08:26 PM by RobOne4

the only story line I didnt like was Julie Taylor's. I mean the whole bullshit with the TA. They could have easily showed her being a young confused college student making bad decisions with out her having an affair. Maybe getting into partying to much. But the way Coach said she is making a bunch of stupid mistakes. Then she gets back with Matt and they are now getting married? Like how is that not looked at like another stupid mistake? Yeah they pushed a little, but gave in fairly easy. Honestly I think them getting engaged fit their story. But the whole TA bit was just stupid.

but other than that I loved it. its right up there with the wire for me. Fantastic series. Im going to miss it. I look forward to seeing all of the FNL actors popping up in tv and movies like the wire crew is.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Thu Jun-23-11 06:14 AM

28. "Come on a-holes get your spoilers out of here"
In response to Reply # 0

this post was made separate so that there were no spoilers Go post in the directv post if you want to talk about what happened since you looked ahead.

Now the rest of the season I have to be careful to not scroll past your posts? Putting the word spoilers in the title doesn't mean Ill never catch a glimpse when looking through other posts

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Fri Jul-15-11 03:25 PM

29. "Series finale tonight"
In response to Reply # 0

This is personally one of the top 3 shows I've ever seen....can't believe it's the last time I'll see a new ep of Coach and the crew. What a run...what an absolutely amazing 5 year run.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

BrooklynWHAT
85077 posts
Fri Jul-15-11 08:29 PM

30. "wow that was perfect. thats how you do a finale."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-15-11 08:31 PM by BrooklynWHAT

i'm a hardass and i almost cried in several spots.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Fri Jul-15-11 08:40 PM

31. "Yup I teared up several times"
In response to Reply # 30

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Sun Jul-17-11 01:55 AM

32. ":/ It was a good ride."
In response to Reply # 0

"Slaves got options...cowards aint got shit." --PS
"Once upon a time, little need existed for making the distinction between a nigga and a black—at least not in this country, the place where niggas were invented" -- Donnell A

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Sun Jul-17-11 06:37 PM

34. "Berg wants to do another FNL movie?!?! (Swip)"
In response to Reply # 0

Can't say I see much of a point to this but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be there at the first showing if it ever got made (which I doubt).

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/texas_forever_peter_berg_wants_to_bring_friday_night_lights_back_to_the_big/

It was a big week for football fans in Dillon, Texas with Coach Eric Taylor leading the underdog East Dillon Lions to an emotional championship victory. Actually, it’s been an big week for fans of one of TV’s best dramas “Friday Night Lights,” as it just concluded its fifth and final season on NBC (that is, for anyone without DirecTV or a decent internet connection where the show wrapped up a few months ago). But with the show coming to a close for the second time it’s given fans and news outlets alike a chance to start memorializing the show. Grantland has a must-read oral history of the show by its cast and creators and a few days ago the series received Emmy nominations for Best Drama (its first) and Lead Actor and Actress in a Drama for Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton (their second).

The series, about a high school football team in small town Texas, is based on the 2004 film by director Peter Berg (”The Kingdom”), which itself was based on a 1990 non-fiction book by H.G. Bissinger. Berg decided he wasn’t done with the world of the film and decided to turn it into a series, acting as executive producer and directing the pilot episode to set the realistic, emotionally charged tone of the show. Berg told Grantland, “I truly felt that there was a lot more meat from the book that we weren’t able to put in the original film. And I just wasn’t ready to leave the world. I fell in love with Austin. I fell in love with Texas. I fell in love with Texas football. And I wanted more.” And even after five seasons of the critically-hailed series, during which the show was cancelled by NBC after a writers strikes abbreviated second season only to be rescued by DirecTV, Berg is still not ready to leave that world behind. According to TVLine, Grantland editor-in-chief Bill Simmons tweeted that, “Peter Berg told us he wants to do an’ FNL’ movie with Chandler/Britton off the final episode.”

TVLine also confirmed that Berg is working behind-the-scenes to make that film a reality. A rep for Universal—the studio that produced both the show and the previous film—denied there was any such project in development yet, but the site points towards yet being the telling phrase.

With the series just having completed its run it is likely a pipe dream at this point, both for fans and the shows creators but we’d certainly be interested to see if anything comes of it. Berg is currently in post-production on the big screen adaptation of the board game “Battleship” with ‘Lights’ alum (and “John Carter” star) Taylor Kitsch, so if that film is a hit expect the filmmaker to have a little more clout in getting this project off the ground.

“Friday Night Lights” was indeed one of the greatest dramas on television with Chandler and Britton’s onscreen chemistry one of the most realistic portrayals of marriage ever on television. The duo held the show together even as most of the younger cast was replaced mid-series. With so many characters over the years fans can begin speculating which ones might show up in a film but for now the project will join the esteemed ranks of “Party Down” and “Arrested Development” as cult shows hoping for one last shot on the big screen. As fans of the show, still wiping away the tears from the finale, we’re really hoping to see this one come together.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #562769 Previous topic | Next topic