Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #528612

Subject: "" Previous topic | Next topic
Vaiops2wega
Member since Jul 01st 2002
2361 posts
Sun Jul-25-10 07:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""

Remember when nerds were intelligent? That hasn't been the case for a very, very long time. If anything, I'd say nerd culture has co-opted jock culture and all its misogynist dude-centric entertainment. This new nerd-bro culture is one of the most virulent strains of idiocy and tastelessness in contemporary western culture. And that's including Twilight.

(CNN) -- A Comic-Con attendee stabbed another near the eye with a pen Saturday after they got into an argument over whether one was sitting too close to the other, police said.
The injured man, in his 20s, was taken to a hospital with a minor cut, said San Diego Police Officer David Stafford. The attacker, also in his 20s, was arrested and booked for assault with a deadly weapon, he said.

The incident took place in the San Diego Convention Center while fans were waiting for a panel featuring actor Seth Rogen discussing the science-fiction comedy "Paul."

"The room was very crowded and the males argued over one male sitting too close to the other," Stafford said.

The suspect was later seen being led away in handcuffs. He had on a blue "Harry Potter" T-shirt.

The panel was delayed for about 30 minutes while attendees were shown a series of movie trailers.

"Well, there is a crowd issue. It's gotten really crowded. And if anything, an incident like this points to the need for more space," convention-goer Zennie Abraham told iReport -- the CNN website that allows people to submit pictures and videos.
"Should Comic-Con be in San Diego? I think so, but San Diego's got to make more space for it. It's become too big and I didn't think anything like this could happen because it's a chill event but it did happen."

Comic-Con, the annual gathering of self-proclaimed fanboys and fangirls, began Thursday and concludes Sunday. Aside from the stabbing, the convention has proceeded without incident so far, Stafford said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/25/comic.con.pen.stabbing/?hpt=T2

“You do Coach bags, I do kush bags, you a douchebag, I’m the truth fag/share greedy, ya’ll niggas get scared easy, queer like multiple pairs of Air Yeezys” - Sean Price

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
tell em why you really mad
Jul 26th 2010
O-Munn makes the fanboys go crazeh.
Jul 26th 2010
this is your proof? a dude stabbing someone at comiccon?
Jul 26th 2010
RE: this is your proof? a dude stabbing someone at comiccon?
Jul 26th 2010
      loser doth not a nerd make.
Jul 26th 2010
      hating on nerd aesthetics doesn't exactly provide for effective criticis...
Jul 26th 2010
      thats what it looked like to me
Jul 27th 2010
      did kevin rose steal your girlfriend or something? sheesh.
Jul 26th 2010
      RE: this is your proof? a dude stabbing someone at comiccon?
Jul 26th 2010
           LOL
Jul 28th 2010
Nah, that's just what happens
Jul 26th 2010
I can't remember if I ever told you that you're a fucking moron.
Jul 26th 2010
RE: I can't remember if I ever told you that you're a fucking moron.
Jul 26th 2010
he had on a blue harry potter shirt
Jul 26th 2010
also, your avi still beats comicon for the western tastelessness crown
Jul 26th 2010
RE: also, your avi still beats comicon for the western tastelessness cro...
Jul 26th 2010
riling up the geeks eh?
Jul 26th 2010
these are "geeks", not "nerds"
Jul 26th 2010
Worst. Post. Ever.
Jul 26th 2010
UPDATE: Nerd so stupid, can't distinguish fiction from reality
Jul 27th 2010
damn Grant CHURCHIN!
Jul 28th 2010
Jul 28th 2010
good posting, Grant
Jul 29th 2010
geek win (pic)
Jul 28th 2010
How Fanboy Obsessions Became the Pop-Culture Norm
Jul 29th 2010
I like this little bloggish-niche you're making for yourself
Jul 29th 2010

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 12:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "tell em why you really mad"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 12:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "O-Munn makes the fanboys go crazeh."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

etfp
Member since Oct 24th 2009
2957 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 12:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "this is your proof? a dude stabbing someone at comiccon?"
In response to Reply # 0

>Remember when nerds were intelligent? That hasn't been the
>case for a very, very long time. If anything, I'd say nerd
>culture has co-opted jock culture and all its misogynist
>dude-centric entertainment. This new nerd-bro culture is one
>of the most virulent strains of idiocy and tastelessness in
>contemporary western culture. And that's including Twilight.
>
>

what the fuck is wrong with your brain, hoss.

________
"2ndly u think FAMILY and niggas i done grew up wit for 20+ years
gon let some random nigga
show up and whup my ass on my block
and hop in his corolla and pull off?" spm

Coopaa
Member since Jul 14th 2010
10 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 02:44 AM

6. "RE: this is your proof? a dude stabbing someone at comiccon?"
In response to Reply # 3

Come on, all you have to do is look at all the new movies coming out..it started with Napoleon Dynamite and now whats his face from Superbad is riding the wave of being a nerd to get cash moneys. He´s even got a new one..something about him vs the world. Looks woeful. These kids are the new jocks for sure..the new "cool kids" its boring, and its repetitive.
http://www.postalgold.com

Bruce Belafonte
Member since Jan 14th 2008
31999 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 03:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "loser doth not a nerd make."
In response to Reply # 6

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 04:24 AM

9. "hating on nerd aesthetics doesn't exactly provide for effective criticis..."
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Jul-26-10 04:28 AM by rob

its just an aesthetic, might as well be assholes assholing it up in overalls and trucker hats

now, nerd culture going mainstream may be prone to all the pitfalls that come with being taken over by millions of immature white dudes, but thats what immature white dudes do. they take over your shit and make offensive jokes about it later.

and anyway, if you're gonna shit on nerd culture empresarios, pharrell/kanye/lupe deserve their fair share of the blame. and also all the video games where you blow shit up...none of this strikes me as authentic versions of nerdery. and to hear cnn tell it, comicon is basically just a tv/movie pitchfest punctuated by one-off consumergasms.

i wouldn't say there's redeeming value in nerdiness in and of itself, and most of nerd culture is ultimately disposable, but i think there's some value in the nerd perspective. you've got food nerds and literary nerds and keep it weird nerds and political nerds and inventing nerds and environerds and even sexual identity nerds out there fighting their nerdy good fights, and thats pretty okay with me.

and honestly, i like cera as much as i think i can like some one i've only seen in 2 dimensions. dude definitely seems like not an asshole.

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Tue Jul-27-10 11:48 PM

19. "thats what it looked like to me"
In response to Reply # 9

>and to hear cnn tell it, comicon is basically just a tv/movie pitchfest punctuated by one-off consumergasms.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

etfp
2957 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 07:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "did kevin rose steal your girlfriend or something? sheesh."
In response to Reply # 6

________

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 08:07 AM

13. "RE: this is your proof? a dude stabbing someone at comiccon?"
In response to Reply # 6

negro, you know his name and the title of the movie

>now whats his face from Superbad is riding the wave of being a nerd >to get cash moneys. He´s even got a new one..something about him
>vs the world.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jul-28-10 02:47 PM

23. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 13

You can always tell when people are trying too hard to pretend they don't know someone/thing's name.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 12:37 AM

4. "Nah, that's just what happens"
In response to Reply # 0

when you overstimulate the undersocialized

-----------------------------
http://talestosuffice.com/
@kennykeil

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 01:04 AM

5. "I can't remember if I ever told you that you're a fucking moron."
In response to Reply # 0

---
Love,
Nopayne

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 07:29 AM

12. "RE: I can't remember if I ever told you that you're a fucking moron."
In response to Reply # 5

You mad, doggie?

“You do Coach bags, I do kush bags, you a douchebag, I’m the truth fag/share greedy, ya’ll niggas get scared easy, queer like multiple pairs of Air Yeezys” - Sean Price

silentnoah
Member since Apr 03rd 2005
3197 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 03:55 AM

8. "he had on a blue harry potter shirt"
In response to Reply # 0

reads like an Onion article.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 04:27 AM

10. "also, your avi still beats comicon for the western tastelessness crown"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-26-10 04:27 AM by rob

are there nerd wrasslers yet?

simpsycho
Member since May 29th 2007
8056 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 10:55 AM

17. "RE: also, your avi still beats comicon for the western tastelessness cro..."
In response to Reply # 10

http://photos.imageevent.com/deutschland/wwfwwepromoscollection/p-298.jpg

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 09:38 AM

14. "riling up the geeks eh?"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 10:42 AM

15. "these are "geeks", not "nerds""
In response to Reply # 0

and you sound real tresvanty in that first paragraph...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 10:47 AM

16. "Worst. Post. Ever."
In response to Reply # 0

http://i46.tinypic.com/2zow18o.jpg
http://flavors.me/balisong
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Tue Jul-27-10 07:32 PM

18. "UPDATE: Nerd so stupid, can't distinguish fiction from reality"
In response to Reply # 0

Listen to Grant Morrison! It’s sad that we need artists to spell this out for adult readers, but here it is, and he is correct.

“Of course, the floor soon opened up for a lengthy fan Q&A where the first question drew out “Grant Morrison: Fiction Theorist” as a young man asked how old characters like Bruce Wayne and the various Robins were supposed to be. “It doesn’t matter. You must understand these people aren’t real,” Morrison said to laughter. “Batman is a mythical figure. I’m being funny, but I’m not being funny. They don’t live in the real world. It’s like this theory I’ve been developing – you know what they always say about kids? That kids can’t distinguish between fantasy and reality. And that’s actually bullshit. When a kid’s watching ‘The Little Mermaid,’ the kids knows that those crabs that are singing and talking aren’t really like the crabs on the beach that don’t talk. A kid really knows the difference. “Then you’ve got an adult, and adults can not tell the difference between fantasy and reality. You bring them fantasy, and the first thing they say is ‘How did he get that way? Why does he dress like that? How did that happen?’ It’s not real. And beyond that, when you’re dealing with characters, they exist on paper. They’re real in that context. I always say they’re much more real than we are because they have much longer lives and more people know about them. But we get people reading superhero comics and going, ‘How does that power work? And why does Scott Summers shoot those beams? And what’s the size of that?’ It’s not real! There is no science. The science is the science of ‘Anything can happen in fiction and paper’ and we can do anything. “We’ve already got the real world. Why would you want fiction to be like the real world? Fiction can do anything, so why do people always want to say, ‘Let’s ground this’ or ‘Let’s make this realistic.’ You can’t make it realistic because it’s not. So basically Batman is 75 years old, and Robin is 74 years old. They don’t grow old because they’re different from us. They’re paper people.”

CCI: DC Focus On Grant Morrison
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27462

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Wed Jul-28-10 06:59 AM

20. "damn Grant CHURCHIN!"
In response to Reply # 18

<--- Big Baller World Order

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Wed Jul-28-10 09:03 AM

21. "."

>Listen to Grant Morrison! It’s sad that we need artists to
>spell this out for adult readers, but here it is, and he is
>correct.
>
>“Of course, the floor soon opened up for a lengthy fan Q&A
>where the first question drew out “Grant Morrison: Fiction
>Theorist” as a young man asked how old characters like Bruce
>Wayne and the various Robins were supposed to be. “It doesn’t
>matter. You must understand these people aren’t real,”
>Morrison said to laughter. “Batman is a mythical figure. I’m
>being funny, but I’m not being funny. They don’t live in the
>real world. It’s like this theory I’ve been developing – you
>know what they always say about kids? That kids can’t
>distinguish between fantasy and reality. And that’s actually
>bullshit. When a kid’s watching ‘The Little Mermaid,’ the kids
>knows that those crabs that are singing and talking aren’t
>really like the crabs on the beach that don’t talk. A kid
>really knows the difference. “Then you’ve got an adult, and
>adults can not tell the difference between fantasy and
>reality. You bring them fantasy, and the first thing they say
>is ‘How did he get that way? Why does he dress like that? How
>did that happen?’ It’s not real. And beyond that, when you’re
>dealing with characters, they exist on paper. They’re real in
>that context. I always say they’re much more real than we are
>because they have much longer lives and more people know about
>them. But we get people reading superhero comics and going,
>‘How does that power work? And why does Scott Summers shoot
>those beams? And what’s the size of that?’ It’s not real!
>There is no science. The science is the science of ‘Anything
>can happen in fiction and paper’ and we can do anything.
>“We’ve already got the real world. Why would you want fiction
>to be like the real world? Fiction can do anything, so why do
>people always want to say, ‘Let’s ground this’ or ‘Let’s make
>this realistic.’ You can’t make it realistic because it’s not.
>So basically Batman is 75 years old, and Robin is 74 years
>old. They don’t grow old because they’re different from us.
>They’re paper people.”
>
>CCI: DC Focus On Grant Morrison
>http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27462

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Thu Jul-29-10 11:23 AM

25. "good posting, Grant"

etfp
2957 posts
Wed Jul-28-10 01:58 PM

22. "geek win (pic)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/07/picture_306.png

________

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Thu Jul-29-10 12:12 AM

24. "How Fanboy Obsessions Became the Pop-Culture Norm"
In response to Reply # 0

I wish this piece by Adam Sternbergh was much longer and less sympathetic to fanboys. He’s right that “fanboys” are the new bullies, but he doesn’t get into why: As “geek” culture expanded and became increasingly mainstream, it became more of a big-tent thing, allowing strains of masculinity that had not always been identified with these subcultures to get in the mix, which in turn mutated the existing personality profile of “nerds”. The thing about shouting down opposition to popular nerd things is at least in part to do with this often inaccurate feeling of being an underdog, and that your interests are marginalized — basically, it’s a desperate need to have taste validated in the most indisputable way possible, i.e. total commercial and critical triumph. It’s a pathetic, misplaced desire for respect.

Tyranny of the Fanboys

Yes, resistance is futile.

By Adam Sternbergh Published Jul 23, 2010 

It’s official: The fanboys win. For proof, look at this week’s Comic-Con in San Diego—an event that started 41 years ago as a forum for nerds to flip through back issues and is now an essential launching pad for movies (Angelina Jolie made an appearance), video games, toys, and TV shows. Or consider that Lost was last season’s most-talked-about show and Inception is the buzz movie of this summer, so much so that Roger Ebert and A. O. Scott have both written responses to the responses to Inception’s hype. Yes, all the favorite obsessions of nerds and fanboys (or fangirls)—vampires, superheroes, manga, and sci-fi—have now been successfully incepted into our collective pop-culture dreams.

As a (semi-) reformed fanboy myself, you’d think I’d be celebrating. Take that, jocks and assorted oppressors! You now consume and enjoy exactly what we always championed! Yet I find this rise to dominance both confusing and ironic—no more so than when fanboys shout down opposition to something they collectively adore. Most recently, bad reviews for Inception sparked an angry outcry (with our own critic David Edelstein in the crosshairs), as if the earmark of a truly great film is that it’s embraced by everyone, everywhere, without exception. (As Ebert tried to reassure us on Twitter, “You are allowed to criticize Inception.”) Not only is this wrongheaded, it’s the exact opposite of the fanboy ethos.

Once, a fanboy was defined by isolation: a taste for films, or comic books, or pulp novels, or TV shows that flourished in the shadowed cracks of the culture, ignored or dismissed by the mainstream. You loved what you loved, in part, because it spoke directly to you, and in part because most other people didn’t feel the same way. That was the whole point. And while you enjoyed your Sandman comics or episodes of Red Dwarf, you imagined—you hoped—there were like-minded people out there. You might occasionally meet one at a local convention (perhaps while both in costume) or behind the counter of the local comic store.

Now, of course, fanboys all hang out on the Internet, and they are legion. And if there is one thing the Internet is good for, it’s bringing together like-minded people, then convincing them that their opinion is the only valid one in existence. Psychologists call this “group polarization,” a tendency for people who agree to gather and prod each other toward further extremism. This has long been evident on political blogs, but it’s true in cultural criticism as well. If you are wild about Christopher Nolan films, you can easily find others who are nuts about Nolan, and soon you will wonder how anyone else could possibly feel any different. To use a fanboy-approved metaphor, the Internet is like the Tree of Souls in Avatar: a place to plug in and feel as one. But this polarization—along with the fanboy’s newfound cultural clout—has led to a kind of groupthink. Once the outcast underdogs, fanboys have become the new bullies.

Way back in 1994, the band Weezer released the song “In the Garage,” a ballad about being a nerd sitting alone, with only your Dungeon Master’s Guide and your Kitty Pryde poster to console you. (She’s an X-Man—but you know that from the movies.) The song was a precise and melancholy ode to passionate fandom and how it can lead to an almost monkish retreat from the culture at large. But these days, fanboys are never excluded because they run the culture. They may still sit in rooms alone, but they commune endlessly with other fanboys online, praising what they already like and shouting down anyone who won’t join in. And somewhere, these days, there’s a teen alone in his garage, wondering if it’s safe to tell anyone that he’s not particularly psyched for a Kick-Ass sequel and that he fell asleep in Inception halfway through.

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/67292/

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Thu Jul-29-10 04:08 PM

26. "I like this little bloggish-niche you're making for yourself"
In response to Reply # 0

Do your thing, man.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #528612 Previous topic | Next topic