Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #498874

Subject: "Will LOST's series finale do M*A*S*H/Cheers/Seinfeld numbers?" Previous topic | Next topic
aScribe
Member since Jul 13th 2005
815 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 02:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Will LOST's series finale do M*A*S*H/Cheers/Seinfeld numbers?"

Been thinking about this as the final season approaches. Please know this is all for curiosity's sake. I am somewhat ignorant on how ratings are currently tabulated anyway. And I'll be watching the finale (and season) no matter who else is(n't).

Anyway, below is a link to a Wikipedia list (using Reuters, Variety, Nielsen Media Research, and ratings data from USA Today) of the most-watched series finales of all time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-watched_television_episodes#Most-watched_series_finales

121.6 million viewers tuned in for the M*A*S*H finale.
93.1 million viewers tuned in for the Cheers finale.
76.3 million viewers tuned in for the Seinfeld finale.

It's interesting, looking at the ratings averages across seasons (from Wikipedia, I know, I know, but they're source-cited), they seem pretty comparable to that of LOST's.
M*A*S*H - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M*A*S*H_(TV_series)#Season_ratings
Cheers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheers#Ratings
Seinfeld - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinfeld#Ratings_history
LOST - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOST#Ratings

Like LOST, the other three shows had massive fanbases, somewhat comparable ratings across seasons, and became pop culture phenomen(ons/a). But how big is LOST, really? As a fan, I'm biased, of course, and think the show's a massive success. But will that translate to high viewership for the finale? And in light of all the modern avenues for watching TV, does it even stand a chance at receiving high viewership?

We know the diehard LOST fans will show up and the casual LOST viewer is bound to tune in.

But will the finale draw folks who stopped watching LOST seasons ago for whatever reason?

Will it draw folks who are curious to see what all the hoopla has been about all this time?

What about folks who just watch series finales (do they exist)?

Or, since the show falls under the mystery genre, folks who like to be spoiled or to "read the end of books"? Not that mysteries won't be revealed (I assume) throughout season 6.

And let's not forget the TiVo/DVR/Hulu/online crowd - I assume those numbers count also?

So, what say you?

----------

P.S. Interestingly enough, according to that Wikipedia link, the ALF series finale had more viewers than the ER series finale. Would've never guessed that and I'm a huge ALF fan - so no disrepect is meant there.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
naw
Jan 22nd 2010
it better, after pre-empting the State of the Union
Jan 22nd 2010
NOPE. It will barely do over 35-50 mil
Jan 22nd 2010
Yeah I don't see it beating the Friends finale
Jan 22nd 2010
Not a chance
Jan 22nd 2010
no
Jan 22nd 2010
it might draw viewers who only watched the first season
Jan 22nd 2010
No. I was thinking it *might* approach the Seinfeld finale, but no.
Jan 22nd 2010
The finale will be in line with the rest of the episodes
Jan 23rd 2010
Anyone care to change their mind on this, lol?
May 12th 2010
Still won't touch MASH
May 12th 2010
^^^ won't even be close.
May 12th 2010
Why would someone who doesn't watch tune in?
May 12th 2010
It won't even come close.
May 12th 2010
it wont do half of what seinfeld got
May 13th 2010
Not even close (SWIPE)
May 24th 2010
cot DAMN. 13 mil? we really do live in fractured media universe.
May 24th 2010
      lost sucks.
May 24th 2010
      not copping pleas. i've seen "lost" zero times.
May 24th 2010
      But people who don't watch American Ido will tune in for the finale
May 24th 2010
           yea, i definitely feel the arguments made in this post.
May 24th 2010
           And (call it pleas) thats why I assume they werente expecting huge #s
May 24th 2010
BTW WOW @ the finale of ST:TNG being 17th-most watched
May 24th 2010
All good things was greatness
May 24th 2010
All Good Things was one of the best series finales I have ever seen
May 24th 2010
None of the prior finales needed an intermission
May 24th 2010
So more people watched the JAG finale
May 25th 2010
ether
May 25th 2010
is there such a thing as viewer inflation? lol.
May 25th 2010
RE: is there such a thing as viewer inflation? lol.
May 26th 2010
it barely beat the fucking x-files
May 26th 2010
X-Files finale ACTUALLY ANSWERED SOME FUCKING QUESTIONS
May 26th 2010
Mr. Belvedere >>>> Mr. Widmore
May 26th 2010
Wings, too
May 26th 2010
      Wings was the shit, I remember tearin up for that finale
May 26th 2010
           What even happened?
May 26th 2010
           ^^^Quagmire. giggidy.
May 26th 2010
           Yea she was there.....
May 26th 2010
                I wonder if Roy ever reconciled with his gay son from Parker Lewis
May 26th 2010
4th best viewer rating of all time!... in Italy...
May 25th 2010
the old network numbers are untouchable
May 26th 2010

There Will Be duD
Member since Jan 04th 2009
2557 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 02:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "naw"
In response to Reply # 0

i never watched an episode of seinfeld at all until the finale.

but why would i watch the finale to something that doesn't make sense even if i did have the context?

Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 02:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "it better, after pre-empting the State of the Union"
In response to Reply # 0

Melanism
Charter member
20449 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 02:59 PM

3. "NOPE. It will barely do over 35-50 mil"
In response to Reply # 0

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 11:43 PM

8. "Yeah I don't see it beating the Friends finale"
In response to Reply # 3

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 03:02 PM

4. "Not a chance"
In response to Reply # 0

No one who hasn't been watching is goign to care. It won't get the more casual types.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 03:19 PM

5. "no"
In response to Reply # 0

A) too much choice compared to those historical figures these days
B) this is a confusing hour long drama that has been going on for years with the same plotlines, not a sitcom you can pick up and drop at will. Only diehards will and continue to watch, no casual Lost viewers exist.

silentnoah
Member since Apr 03rd 2005
3197 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 09:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "it might draw viewers who only watched the first season"
In response to Reply # 0

but I can't see it being much more that a regular finale

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Jan-22-10 09:15 PM

7. "No. I was thinking it *might* approach the Seinfeld finale, but no."
In response to Reply # 0

M*A*S*H and Cheers are numbers that will most likely never be done again... too many network options and DVR would dilute the numbers...

also on Facebook

simpsycho
Member since May 29th 2007
8056 posts
Sat Jan-23-10 01:44 AM

9. "The finale will be in line with the rest of the episodes"
In response to Reply # 0

The top rated finales are sitcoms because you don't have to watch every episode of a sitcom to enjoy it. Hell, you could have missed a couple seasons worth of most of those shows and still grown attached to the characters. With Lost, I expect it to be mostly the people that have been watching every episode for the last five years.

aScribe
Member since Jul 13th 2005
815 posts
Wed May-12-10 11:44 AM

10. "Anyone care to change their mind on this, lol?"
In response to Reply # 0

With the finale airing on a Sunday night, May 23, methinks the network is looking to capture big(ger) numbers than a typical weekday night.

It's been heavily marketed all season long and I personally know of several viewers who dropped off and said they'd be back for the finale, just to see it end.

Again, it's trivial and I'll/you'll watch regardless of who is or isn't, but anyone rethinking their predictions?

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed May-12-10 12:34 PM

11. "Still won't touch MASH"
In response to Reply # 10

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

FortifiedLive
Member since Dec 26th 2006
9984 posts
Wed May-12-10 03:56 PM

13. "^^^ won't even be close."
In response to Reply # 11

especially after the latest shitty episode.

<<progressions.

Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Wed May-12-10 12:57 PM

12. "Why would someone who doesn't watch tune in?"
In response to Reply # 10

Would be like just watching the last 10 minutes of The Usual Suspects.

And no I don't mean to compare the 2 in quality or start ony debate along that line, just seeing the end in a big mystery is going to be pretty worthess.

<-----Iron Sheik fuck Nas in the ass, make him humble

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Wed May-12-10 03:59 PM

14. "It won't even come close."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

charlie bucket
Member since Dec 06th 2004
3705 posts
Thu May-13-10 12:53 AM

15. "it wont do half of what seinfeld got"
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon May-24-10 11:17 AM

16. "Not even close (SWIPE)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/lost-finale-highestrated-episode-in-two-years.html

Ratings for the series finale of ABC's "Lost" were much like the critic reviews: mixed.

The emotive two-and-a-half hour closer was seen by 13 million viewers and drew a 5.6 preliminary rating among adults 18-49. That's the highest-rated "Lost" episode in two years, but a softer number than one might have expected given the massive amount of anticipation and publicity leading up to the finale.

It's tough for a heavily serialized show to post big spikes once it starts to decline (and "Lost" has been gradually eroding for years). For what was essentially a decorated clip show, ABC's pre-show "Lost: The Final Journey" (11.4 million, 4.0) performed very well.

In general, critics seemed let down by the closer, or at least heavily divided: NY Times said it was a "a bit of a cop out." LA Times gave it one star out of five. Gawker said the finale was "two-and-a-half hours of slow-motion bullshittery." The Onion's AV Club disagreed, writing it was "highly effective." Maureen Ryan loved it. EW called it "refreshing."

My thoughts: Was it necessary? Did we need to spend half the final season explaining what happened to all the characters after they died? The problem with the flash-ultra-forwards was they zapped the final season's island story of suspense and emotional impact -- when Sun and Jin perished, we didn't even know if they were really truly dead or not. In the finale we're told what's happening right now matters and there are no do-overs. Well, this was news to us, and it came pretty late. Think of how much more intense the entire final season would have been without the flashes that muddied the reality of the story we were watching. Now, perhaps the afterlife story does matter because the island is some sort of testing ground for Jack (moreso than living your life elsewhere), as Jimmy Kimmel suggested, or is actually purgatory and they've been dead the entire time -- except the writers refused to make that link too directly. At the end of "Lost," we did not learn what the island was. The "Lost" team can skip answering a lot of the show's mysteries, we don't need every question resolved, but that's a pretty big one to duck.

------

come on people
Member since Dec 02nd 2007
17423 posts
Mon May-24-10 11:29 AM

17. "cot DAMN. 13 mil? we really do live in fractured media universe."
In response to Reply # 16

i woulda thought it would at least do american idol final numbers (i.e., 23-25 million). between that, "heroes" limping off air, and the failure of "flashforward" and "V" to catch on with viewers, i think it's safe to say this sort of twin peaks/x-files style series has run its course as a major media phenomenon.

Go Smack yourself and then apologize to your hand for looking stupid - Case_One

http://i54.tinypic.com/nxros2.jpg

etfp
Member since Oct 24th 2009
2957 posts
Mon May-24-10 12:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "lost sucks."
In response to Reply # 17

stop copping pleas, america.

________
"2ndly u think FAMILY and niggas i done grew up wit for 20+ years
gon let some random nigga
show up and whup my ass on my block
and hop in his corolla and pull off?" spm

come on people
17423 posts
Mon May-24-10 12:19 PM

20. "not copping pleas. i've seen "lost" zero times."
In response to Reply # 18

and had no intention of watching the finale. as much pub as the finale got -- ABC basically centered a weekend of events around it -- i thought it would be bigger.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon May-24-10 12:11 PM

19. "But people who don't watch American Ido will tune in for the finale"
In response to Reply # 17

I can't imagine there were that many people who haven't watched Lost tuning in last night.

------

come on people
17423 posts
Mon May-24-10 12:20 PM

21. "yea, i definitely feel the arguments made in this post."
In response to Reply # 19

if you've never watched it, like me, you have no desire to see how it ends. i figured, though, that people who had dropped off from watching it would wanna see it wrap up.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66742 posts
Mon May-24-10 03:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "And (call it pleas) thats why I assume they werente expecting huge #s"
In response to Reply # 19

altho someone could have just watched last night and be on equal level knowledge wise with 6year lostie vets soooooooooooooooooo

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

come on people
17423 posts
Mon May-24-10 12:25 PM

22. "BTW WOW @ the finale of ST:TNG being 17th-most watched"
In response to Reply # 0

networks fucked up by not picking that show up. "all good things" was a spectacular end to that show, too. better than the first motion picture, even.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon May-24-10 04:09 PM

25. "All good things was greatness"
In response to Reply # 22

I get kinda sad with a smile when I watch it because you sense they could keep the great show going.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Mon May-24-10 04:16 PM

26. "All Good Things was one of the best series finales I have ever seen"
In response to Reply # 22
Mon May-24-10 04:19 PM by calij81

maybe Lost should have taken a page out of that book. They could have had the Jack from the island and LA X meet at the golden light to merge into one, cancelling out both of those universes and resetting everything back to square one in Sydney.

Jacob = Q

Jack = Picard

Desmond = Riker and so on

Ceej
66742 posts
Mon May-24-10 03:11 PM

23. "None of the prior finales needed an intermission"
In response to Reply # 0

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Tue May-25-10 03:52 AM

27. "So more people watched the JAG finale"
In response to Reply # 0

than the Lost? Lost lost

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Ceej
66742 posts
Tue May-25-10 06:39 AM

28. "ether"
In response to Reply # 27

FortifiedLive
9984 posts
Tue May-25-10 10:21 AM

29. "is there such a thing as viewer inflation? lol."
Tue May-25-10 10:21 AM by FortifiedLive

of course, because of a number of things (internet streaming/DLing/netflix/tivo) viewing has been affected over the years, but has any source try to account for this?

*LOST still lauuwwwssss (c)Raauuuwwwsss.

<<progressions.

charlie bucket
Member since Dec 06th 2004
3705 posts
Wed May-26-10 02:43 AM

31. "RE: is there such a thing as viewer inflation? lol."
In response to Reply # 29

>of course, because of a number of things (internet
>streaming/DLing/netflix/tivo) viewing has been affected over
>the years, but has any source try to account for this?
>
>*LOST still lauuwwwssss (c)Raauuuwwwsss.

they track the dvr stuff. they have a +7 rating which is the rating a show got plus the amount of people who watched it via dvr within seven days from airing. although the networks pay attention to how a show does on hulu its not counted in the ratings but i imagine it will (and other streaming) be in the future.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed May-26-10 03:41 AM

32. "it barely beat the fucking x-files"

and x-files always had shitty ratings and had gone completely down the tubes at the end. I don't think I even watched the series finale of x-files.

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

InKast
Charter member
14823 posts
Wed May-26-10 08:51 AM

33. "X-Files finale ACTUALLY ANSWERED SOME FUCKING QUESTIONS"
In response to Reply # 32

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Wed May-26-10 10:39 AM

34. "Mr. Belvedere >>>> Mr. Widmore"

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed May-26-10 11:07 AM

35. "Wings, too"

I don't even remember if *I* watched that, and I used to love Wings back when it was the only thing USA ever played.

------

Ceej
66742 posts
Wed May-26-10 03:23 PM

36. "Wings was the shit, I remember tearin up for that finale"
In response to Reply # 35

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed May-26-10 03:26 PM

37. "What even happened?"
In response to Reply # 36
Wed May-26-10 03:26 PM by Marauder21

Was Amy Yasbeck still on the show at that point? Did Lowell come back?

I've probably seen a lifetimes worth of Wings episodes, but I can not even remember this.

------

FortifiedLive
9984 posts
Wed May-26-10 04:24 PM

38. "^^^Quagmire. giggidy."

<<progressions.

Ceej
66742 posts
Wed May-26-10 04:36 PM

39. "Yea she was there....."

NBC aired the final episode of the show on May 21, 1997. The episode's plot was a callback to the first episode of the series, in which Joe and Brian are left a suitcase by their father containing a picture of the two as boys and a note reading, "You're rich". In the finale, the brothers discover that not only does the lining of the suitcase contain money, but it sets them off on a treasure hunt which ends up making them $250,000 richer. They argue over what to do with the money; Joe wants to put it into the airline while Brian wants to use the money to retire and move away. Joe's resolve to stay on Nantucket is further tested by the news that Helen has been offered an opportunity to go to Vienna to study music.
The finale featured no guest stars. Most of the extras in the episode were writers and members of the production crew making cameo appearances.
In the final moments of the episode, Brian offers to run the airline for one year while Joe and Helen are in Europe. With Joe's portion of the money, they retire the mortgage on their first airplane, acquire a second airplane, and purchase access to more airline routes, thus doubling the airline's size and rebuffing Roy's desire to "tear down this lemonade stand of a business", as Joe had initially agreed to sell him Sandpiper Air. Helen leaves her lunch counter, while Casey, Helen's sister, having told off everyone on the island, has nowhere to work and no means of supporting herself. Helen steers her toward her old lunch counter, a fate Casey cannot believe, to which Helen says she felt the same way at first. The final scene shows Joe flying Helen to Boston so they can get a connecting flight to Vienna, Austria.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed May-26-10 10:13 PM

40. "I wonder if Roy ever reconciled with his gay son from Parker Lewis"
In response to Reply # 39

------

FortifiedLive
9984 posts
Tue May-25-10 10:25 AM

30. "4th best viewer rating of all time!... in Italy..."
In response to Reply # 0

barely edging out Charmed. lol.

<<progressions.

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Wed May-26-10 10:39 PM

41. "the old network numbers are untouchable"
In response to Reply # 0

for television series. when MASH aired there were like eight channels. you couldn't even rent a movie from Blockbuster.

as mentioned, there are too many other entertainment outlets now.

--------

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #498874 Previous topic | Next topic