Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #495424

Subject: "Youth in Revolt" Previous topic | Next topic
jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Jan-06-10 01:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Youth in Revolt"

Not bad. But not quite as good as I thought it'd be. Michael Cera has certainly found his niche with the deadpan delivery but I would've liked to see him play the bad guy a bit more. Francois Dillinger does steal the show the few times he does make an appearance. He could've been the saving grace but he's not given enough screen time or lines & I'm not sure why. Guess I was misled by the trailer.

The rest of the cast could've been used better as well. Fred Willard has a few moments worth mentioning but Fat Jesus was wasted. There's a few animated scenes & 1 of em was the highlight of the movie. But the pacing felt off, the comedy uneven, & I kept thinking that I need to lower my expectations for movies released around this time of year. Maybe I'll get more of what I was looking for from the book tho.

B-

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
agreed
Jan 09th 2010
Solid...
Jan 09th 2010
This shit was dope. You guys are nuts.
Jan 09th 2010
You through big man? (c)FD
Jan 09th 2010
THIS is a great movie
Jan 09th 2010
I really liked it.
Jan 10th 2010
dudes gonna be typecasted for the rest of his career nm
Jan 10th 2010
at least he's typecasted for playing himself
Jan 10th 2010
Solid movie
Jan 10th 2010
LMAO this local critic is MAD! (swipe)
Jan 10th 2010
What a bitch
Jan 10th 2010
Eh, she's not really wrong.
Jan 10th 2010
i think her problem is she's taking a comedy too seriously.
Jan 10th 2010
      It definitely seems like she went into the film looking to hate to it.
Jan 10th 2010
This person missed the entire fucking point of the movie.
Jan 10th 2010
this part right here:
Jan 10th 2010
      hahahahahhahahaha
Jan 11th 2010
I thought it was awesome
Jan 10th 2010
i really enjoyed it.
Jan 11th 2010
Very funny. Wish characters were developed/used more tho
Jan 11th 2010
Pretty good
Jan 23rd 2010
the book is one of my fave books evar...
Jan 23rd 2010
Liked it a lot
Jan 26th 2010
a bit underwhelming but still entertaining. good rental. not a buy.
Jul 26th 2010
Definitely had its moments, but not as funny as I figured it would be
Jul 26th 2010
good not great
Jul 26th 2010
wanted to like it, but didn't
Jul 26th 2010
Ha. This post reminded me to watch it just now
Jul 26th 2010

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8433 posts
Sat Jan-09-10 12:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 0

it was fun and cute, and I loved the whole François storyline, but something felt underdeveloped here, like they took a Dave Eggers short story and ran with it (too fast).
I do dig Michael Cera, he manages to bring layers to these characters despite seemingly playing himself every time. And Portia Doubleday more than held her own. But overall this was just decent, and I'm glad I hadn't hyped myself up too much for it after seeing the trailer a million times this past week.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

avillago
Charter member
442 posts
Sat Jan-09-10 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Solid..."
In response to Reply # 1

Funnier than I thought it would be.

"tickle your belly-button...from the inside"...haha

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Sat Jan-09-10 03:25 PM

3. "This shit was dope. You guys are nuts."
In response to Reply # 0

Between this and Scott Pilgrim, this is gonna be Cera's year.

Cusack has left us. Hail Cera.

Francois Dillinger is the best badass I've seen in a while. Anyone that can be the biggest badass in a room with Ray Liotta is killing it. Being Michael Cera doubles that.

Yes, it was abbreviated. I thought that was a good thing. I thought we were tired of unnecessarily lengthy quirky films. Leave 'em wanting more, I say.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sat Jan-09-10 06:16 PM

4. "You through big man? (c)FD"
In response to Reply # 3

that line & the belly button line get an A+

>Between this and Scott Pilgrim, this is gonna be Cera's year.
>
>
>Cusack has left us. Hail Cera.
>
>Francois Dillinger is the best badass I've seen in a while.
>Anyone that can be the biggest badass in a room with Ray
>Liotta is killing it. Being Michael Cera doubles that.
>
>Yes, it was abbreviated. I thought that was a good thing. I
>thought we were tired of unnecessarily lengthy quirky films.
>Leave 'em wanting more, I say.

I had no problem with the length of the movie. It just needed more of the badass in it.

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Sat Jan-09-10 07:59 PM

5. "THIS is a great movie"
In response to Reply # 0

I like Cera.
If the source material is better, as I've read, then I will now check out the source material.

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 01:01 AM

6. "I really liked it."
In response to Reply # 0

Had some very funny moments, and I thought the story was cool too. It's a very "sweet" movie. Cera kills it with his alter ego. I only wished they would have used Galifianakis and Willard more. They were funny in their limited roles though. Really good date movie.

elcurly117
Member since May 11th 2008
598 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 02:50 AM

7. "dudes gonna be typecasted for the rest of his career nm"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------
Todo lo peligroso se convierte en plata, lo seguro no deja ningun peso.

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 03:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "at least he's typecasted for playing himself"
In response to Reply # 7

doesnt have to fake it.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 03:59 AM

9. "Solid movie"
In response to Reply # 0

A lot of funny parts. I had to get used to the awkward feel to it but I enjoyed it. I wouldn't rush out to go see it but I'd definitely recommend immediately adding it to your netflix queue.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

ACRG
Member since Aug 21st 2007
3496 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 11:37 AM

10. "LMAO this local critic is MAD! (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.inlander.com/content/screen_movie_review_youth_revolt

Oh, someone deliver us from boys and their self-entitlement, boys and their cluelessness, boys and their rage when male privilege fails to extend itself toward them in a manner they deem proper. If boys don’t want to live in the world that the rest of us live in — well, howdy doody, tough noogies for you. The rest of us don’t always get what we want, either. Deal with it.

And please, horny teenaged lads — please — do not heed the advice of movies like Youth in Revolt, which mistakes being an unappealing doormat reeking of desperation (which girls don’t like) for being a genuinely nice guy (which girls do like), and believes the remedy for this situation is to become a felonious asshole, because girls find felonious assholes irresistible.
We don’t. Except for the fake girls in movies like this.

YOUTH IN REVOLT

Rated R
Showtimes

Guys, seriously: Girls think it’s weird and creepy and wildly inappropriate when you tell them, five minutes after meeting them, that you love them, as Michael Cera’s doofus high schooler Nick Twisp does here. Girls are not charmed by the passive-aggressive excuse for your misdeeds that everything you did was for her — as Nick tells the cool, beautiful girl he’s infatuated with, Sheeni Saunders (Portia Doubleday). Girls are generally not attracted to boys who entirely submerge their own personality.

Except in ridiculous movies like this one, which appears not to hope that you will take it as satire but as merely a comedy with a slightly heightened sense of reality. Nick’s penchant for destroying automobiles, for instance, could have taken on some extra mocking oomph, perhaps as a commentary on acquisition and status symbols, but there’s nothing so witty going on here: It’s all just shit blowing up. It probably wouldn’t have been very effective as satire anyway — director Miguel Arteta appears to have forgotten that he once made a couple of pointed, truly oddball movies in The Good Girl and Chuck & Buck — though it might be less distasteful. Because the world really is full of boys like Nick — cute enough, but hardly, you know, Zac Efron or anything — who are neither suave nor rich nor possessed of any special talents but who nevertheless believe that they deserve to have the hottest girlfriend ever. For Nick, it’s just a coincidental bonus that Sheeni happens to share some of his outré interests, like classic pop music and foreign movies; he’d already fallen in love with her at first sight. Because she’s, you know, hot.

Perhaps the series of popular young-adult novels by C.D. Payne upon which this yawner of an adolescent wish-fulfillment fantasy is based is more daring than the movie that scriptwriter Gustin Nash (Charlie Bartlett) has wrung out of it. The gimmick, sorry as it is, of Nick’s alter ego taking the persona of Francois Dillinger is laughable, and not in the way it’s meant to be: Cera is a sweet presence, as always, but if he’s got even the slender dangerous streak that a conceit like Francois requires to be effective onscreen, there’s no evidence of it here. (Slapping a skinny moustache on Cera and letting a cigarette dangle from his lips ain’t doin’ it.)

There’s nothing daring here, though someone clearly thinks there is, and conforming to conventional stereotypes about love and sex does not a revolt make. If only Youth in Revolt held up the boneheaded notions of romance and relationships that are cherished by so many teens (and grownups!) up for the ridicule they so richly deserve, it might have been tolerable. But instead it reinforces them, to a depressingly predictable end.

o00o

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 12:40 PM

11. "What a bitch"
In response to Reply # 10

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 01:06 PM

12. "Eh, she's not really wrong."

If you watch that film expecting something realistic, you're going to be disappointed. But I think the opening scenes basically set the film in a pretty fantastical world.

Although the one thing that I thought was odd was that the girl in the film didn't go for the instant "I love you." In fact, that line is a cliched move to show how a guy isn't a ladies man.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

thoughtprocess
Member since Nov 16th 2003
22223 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 08:33 PM

16. "i think her problem is she's taking a comedy too seriously."
In response to Reply # 12
Sun Jan-10-10 08:38 PM by thoughtprocess

haven't seen it, but even if a comedy presents itself as a realistic situation that's usually only to set up jokes.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 08:44 PM

17. "It definitely seems like she went into the film looking to hate to it."
In response to Reply # 16

That's for sure.

----

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 04:28 PM

13. "This person missed the entire fucking point of the movie. "
Sun Jan-10-10 04:31 PM by Invisiblist

At the very beginning, Nick says, "In the movies, the good guy always gets the girl. In real life, that's not how it works. It's always the prick." Or something to that effect.

Then this dude becomes a prick and gets the girl. He fucking drugged her and she still went for it. He became, quite literally, the bad guy. He crossed ALL the lines. And why does this work for this movie?

Because the girl he's going for is ALSO A NUTJOB.

And, yes, there are many people that are just like both of them in real life. Idiots who deserve to be together.

And, yes, there are many lame dudes just like Nick in real life who don't recognize that the exact reason they don't get action is not because they're nice, but because they're lame. And many who do, just like Nick, end up correcting their lameness in ALL THE WRONG WAYS.

This reviewer is incompetent and unable to judge art without bringing in all sorts of baggage. I think maybe this reviewer's problem is that they might be worried that people will look at this as a positive example of love. It's not, and anyone that sees it that way is a fucking tard and you can't do anything for them anyway.

Even more tardish, though, is this reviewer knowing that this movie is not a positive example of love's power, but assuming that the people that made the movie didn't know what they were making.

Did this idiot not notice that it was Nick, not Francois, that wrote those horrible letters and said those horrible things to Bernice? The writers/directors are well aware that Nick was a douche to start with, just a spineless douche.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 07:11 PM

15. "this part right here:"

>If only Youth in Revolt
>held up the boneheaded notions of romance and relationships
>that are cherished by so many teens (and grownups!) up for the
>ridicule they so richly deserve, it might have been tolerable.
>But instead it reinforces them, to a depressingly predictable
>end.

This line made it to print? Wow. I haven't seen the movie but I picture hearing this in a bar really late at night, just before the other person is like, "I heard that. But anyway, how long have you been divorced?"

Big Chief Rumbletummy
Member since Jan 31st 2006
2005 posts
Mon Jan-11-10 01:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "hahahahahhahahaha"
In response to Reply # 15

©

Dolby sound will be then top crowned, when I put the needle into your groove
I got a good thing...and in full swing

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 07:02 PM

14. "I thought it was awesome"
In response to Reply # 0

got there 10 mins late unfortunately. But i enjoyed a lot.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Jan-11-10 03:48 AM

18. "i really enjoyed it. "
In response to Reply # 0

it was just off the wall enough to keep me interested and the delivery in general was super. more people were there than i expected and there were a good number of genuine laughs...not something movies recently have done imo. lady in the row behind me was craaaackin up.

Jru
Member since Mar 14th 2004
1477 posts
Mon Jan-11-10 04:30 PM

20. "Very funny. Wish characters were developed/used more tho"
In response to Reply # 0

particularly the Indian kid, Trent and the alter ego. think movie could've been GOAT had it been just a little longer.

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Sat Jan-23-10 03:00 AM

21. "Pretty good"
In response to Reply # 0

some characters could have been used more. I loved the dialog. I want to see the movie again just for the dialog.

absence, Al_Tru_Ist, BreezeBoogie, dank_reggae, Drewmathic, Ir_Cuba, jacksonwonderland, LBs Finest, LML, LVing, MIAthinker, Omar_Medina, Robert, Roofdogg10, Sandbox194, Supnakga, thafuture, wonderl33t

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Sat Jan-23-10 06:49 PM

22. "the book is one of my fave books evar..."
In response to Reply # 0

i'm kinda scared to watch the movie.

http://theyesyesyalls.com
http://twitter.com/shamelessplug
http://myspace.com/shamelessplug
http://youlooklikecraptoday.com
http://dumhi.com

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Tue Jan-26-10 12:21 AM

23. "Liked it a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

Cera stood above a very good supporting cast and got laughs.

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 11:41 AM

24. "a bit underwhelming but still entertaining. good rental. not a buy."
In response to Reply # 0

http://i46.tinypic.com/2zow18o.jpg
http://flavors.me/balisong
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 03:22 PM

25. "Definitely had its moments, but not as funny as I figured it would be"
In response to Reply # 0

Def worth watching....but underwhelming in terms of overall laughs.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 04:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "good not great"
In response to Reply # 0

never read the book.

I'm a Cera fan though.

will_5198
Charter member
63106 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 07:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
27. "wanted to like it, but didn't"
In response to Reply # 0

it went nowhere. the most interesting character was Cera's girl, and the "quirky" aspect of the remaining cast came off flat.

--------

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Jul-26-10 08:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "Ha. This post reminded me to watch it just now"
In response to Reply # 0

Ive been kinda pissed at him getting cast as Scott Pilgrim, so Ive been on the Cera hate brigade.

But dammit if this didn't win me over.

It wasn't great, but it was a solid 'Cusak-esque' entry.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #495424 Previous topic | Next topic