Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #491315

Subject: "travers' top 10 of the decade: surprisingly good" Previous topic | Next topic
dula dos pistolas
Member since Sep 12th 2006
3295 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 02:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"travers' top 10 of the decade: surprisingly good"

i can't really argue w/ any of his choices. you could nitpick the order, of course - his #3 is my #1 of the '00s, and i'd definitely rank #7 + #5 higher - but i thoroughly enjoyed every one of these.

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/31234572/peter_travers_10_best_movies_of_t

Peter Travers' 10 Best Movies of the Decade

These are the 10 that deepened with time and dug their way into your head and heart.

10. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TRILOGY

OK, I'm cheating, it's three movies. But how can you separate one from the others? Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings, from the J.R.R. Tolkien books, is an amazement that no epic released in the past 10 years can equal, much less surpass in size and scope. Hobbits, wizards, dark lords all roamed fictional Middle-Earth as Frodo (Elijah Wood) labored to destroy the One Ring in Mount Doom. Gollum, the spindly, scary, schizoid, computer-generated villain, voiced by Andy Serkis, entered the global conversation. At dec­ade's end, that conversation shows no sign of stopping.

9. MYSTIC RIVER

Clint Eastwood, 80, blew through the decade on a creative high, directing the diverse likes of Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Changeling, Gran Torino and Invictus. But the 2003 film that I believe stands with his 1992 Western masterpiece, Unforgiven, is Mystic River. Everything Eastwood knows about filmmaking and living is poured into this fierce drama about friends who grew up together in working-class Boston. Now, driven by guilt and anger, their bonds are severed. Tim Robbins and Sean Penn, at his brilliant best, deservedly won Oscars for their acting. But it's the startling power and intimacy that Eastwood invests in this tale that takes a piece out of you.

8. THE DEPARTED

Martin Scorsese finally won his Oscar for this crime classic that some felt was too old-school to be profound. Watch it again, doubters, and this time pay attention. By casting Leonardo DiCaprio as a cop pretending to be a hood and Matt Damon doing the opposite, Scorsese hit us with harsh glimpses of how corruption starts in childhood. Damon's character was hooked at 12 when a local hood (Jack Nicholson in full Jack glory) bought him off with groceries. This uncompromised vision of a society rotting from inside remains a triumphant bruiser of a film. Even in a decade when Scorsese scored with Gangs of New York and The Aviator, The Departed was his personal best.

7. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

The late Heath Ledger helped define the decade as the Joker in The Dark Knight. But for me, the Ledger role that will endure is Ennis Del Mar, the married Wyoming ranch hand daring a forbidden love (it's 1963) with rodeo rider Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) in Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain. The Taiwanese director of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon walked volatile ground with this adaptation of Annie Proulx's story. But Ledger gave the film its soul. He didn't just know how Ennis moved, spoke and listened; he knew how he breathed. Seeing him inhale the scent of a shirt hanging in Jack's closet is a scene that pierced your heart. This landmark movie did the same.

6. THE INCREDIBLES

Of all the Pixar miracles studded through the decade, The Incredibles still delights me the most. It's not every toon that deals with midlife crisis, marital dysfunction, child neglect, impotence fears, fashion faux pas and existential angst. Created by Brad Bird, the film advanced animation by forgoing the usual talking animals and focusing on humans — in this case, a family of retired superheroes. A short, sassy ball of fire named Edna Mode (Bird does her voice, hilariously), the guru of fashion insults, designed the indestructible costumes. Skeptics who thought the movie was too PG-dark to be a mainstream hit can eat their words now. The Incredibles didn't ring cartoonish, it rang true.

5. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Set in 1980 in West Texas, where the chase is on for stolen drug money, No Country for Old Men — which won a Best Picture Oscar for the Coen brothers — was a literate meditation on America's blood lust for the easy fix. Javier Bardem also took home a golden boy for playing Death in the form of a killer with a stupendously bad haircut. Adapting the novel by Cormac McCarthy, the Coens worked fresh territory by tackling good and evil with a rigorous fix on the complexities involved. With their gallows humor always in evidence, the Coens crafted a movie that carried in its bones the virus of what we've become, a movie that forced us to look into an abyss of our own making.

4. A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

Is Canadian director David Cronenberg the most unsung maverick artist in movies? Bet on it. I could have picked 2007's Eastern Promises to prove my point. But I'm going with 2005's A History of Violence — both films starred Viggo Mortensen at his best — because it just slammed me with its subversive wit. Things look normal in the small town where a reformed hit man (Mortensen) runs the diner and runs home to his hot wife (Maria Bello). Then the past shows up. Cronenberg knows violence is wired into our DNA. His film showed how we secretly crave what we publicly condemn. This is potent poison for a thriller, and unadulterated, unforgettable Cronenberg.

3. MULHOLLAND DRIVE

There was no better movie this decade to get lost in — with or without controlled substances — than David Lynch's dark, dazzling mood piece about an amnesiac (Laura Harring) and a wanna-be actress (Naomi Watts) who link up to solve a murder in the city of bruised angels. Smart viewers didn't worry about negotiating the plot. They just surrendered to his film's visionary daring and swooning eroticism. OK, some just got off seeing Watts and Harring rub titties. But as identities shifted and the world was thrown out of balance, Lynch cemented his rep as a cinema poet. You can still discover a lot about yourself watching Mulholland Drive. It grips you like a dream that won't let go.

2. CHILDREN OF MEN

I thought director Alfonso Cuarón's film of P.D. James' futuristic political-fable novel was good when it opened in 2006. After repeated viewings, I know Children of Men is indisputably great. A hypnotic Clive Owen starred as a resistance leader pinning his hopes on the last pregnant woman on Earth. Is it possible to capture the terrible absence of a world without children? Cuarón did it. No movie this decade was more redolent of sorrowful beauty and exhilarating action. You don't just watch the car ambush scene (pure camera wizardry) — you live inside it. That's Cuarón's magic: He makes you believe.

1. THERE WILL BE BLOOD

Two years after first seeing There Will Be Blood, I am convinced that Paul Thomas Anderson's profound portrait of an American primitive — take that, Citizen Kane — deserves pride of place among the decade's finest. Daniel Day-Lewis gave the best and ballsiest performance of the past 10 years. As Daniel Plainview, a prospector who loots the land of its natural resources in silver and oil to fill his pockets and gargantuan ego, he showed us a man draining his humanity for power. And Anderson, having extended Plainview's rage from Earth to heaven in the form of a corrupt preacher (Paul Dano), managed to "drink the milkshake" of other risk-taking directors. If I had to stake the future of film in the next decade on one filmmaker, I'd go with PTA. Even more than Boogie Nights and Magnolia — his rebel cries from the 1990s — Blood let Anderson put technology at the service of character. The score by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood was a sonic explosion that reinvented what film music could be. And the images captured by Robert Elswit, a genius of camera and lighting, made visual poetry out of an oil well consumed by flame. For the final word on Blood, I'll quote Plainview: "It was one goddamn hell of a show."

___

low end crazy, eastside crazy, wild hunnids crazy, englewood crazy.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Mystic River wouldn't even make my Top 50.
Dec 13th 2009
same with "Mulholland Drive" for me.
Dec 13th 2009
co-sign again.
Dec 14th 2009
co-sign
Dec 14th 2009
Dec 15th 2009
He should have did the opposite Eastern Promises over AHOV all day
Dec 13th 2009
agreed
Dec 14th 2009
      agreed.
Dec 17th 2009
I'd like Travers (or any critic) discuss the effects of time
Dec 13th 2009
i mean, i'd be interested in hearing his reasons too...
Dec 20th 2009
      Yeah, it's natural to change your opinion
Dec 20th 2009
Mystic River.......GOOD!!!
Dec 13th 2009
Until the... ENDING!!
Dec 13th 2009
      Read the book.
Dec 13th 2009
      If I have to read a book to like the movie version, then it's not Top 10...
Dec 13th 2009
           Just saying the ending is faithful to the book.
Dec 13th 2009
           Why would how good the book was preidcate whether the film...
Dec 14th 2009
                I said the film wasn't good. He told me to read the book.
Dec 15th 2009
                     It made more sense if you read the book.
Dec 22nd 2009
      doesn't discredit the.....FIRST 2 HOURS OF THE MOVIE!!!!!
Dec 13th 2009
      And the ending.... ISN'T EVEN BAD.
Dec 14th 2009
           yeah they are
Dec 15th 2009
      the ending makes sense & works fine.
Dec 15th 2009
RE: travers' top 10 of the decade: surprisingly good
Dec 13th 2009
okay with it other than the Departed
Dec 13th 2009
Has he never seen In the Mood for Love?
Dec 13th 2009
Lol American mainstream publications don't praise subtitled films
Dec 19th 2009
My list better
Dec 13th 2009
^^^ too much artsy, not enough fartsy.
Dec 13th 2009
      and I already know your list will be too much fartsy, soooo
Dec 13th 2009
i've seen 2 LOTR movies, the incredibles, and mystic river
Dec 13th 2009
i think my favorites are:
Dec 13th 2009
yeah, when i first read the list...
Dec 14th 2009
do we have an official top 10 of the decade post yet?
Dec 13th 2009
I PM'd Sponge about waiting until the major Oscar bait came out...
Dec 13th 2009
I volunteered to compile one for the archives around next April-June
Dec 14th 2009
Nah, I like waiting. Your rationale is spot on.
Dec 14th 2009
It's odd that I have no conception of what the best of film
Dec 14th 2009
      No Country For Old Men is a pretty firm #1 IMO
Dec 16th 2009
Completely typical
Dec 14th 2009
Love seeing Children Of Men @ 2, but I HATED history of violence
Dec 14th 2009
who doesn't have
Dec 14th 2009
i'll give him DDL's performance as the best of the decade
Dec 15th 2009
i put these four in my top 10, not sure what the other six are yet
Dec 15th 2009
25th Hour is in my top 10 as well
Dec 17th 2009
sooooooo... AHoV + MR are the major objections?
Dec 15th 2009
AO Scott and Michael Phillips' lists so far are a bit strange.
Dec 15th 2009
i repeat: i really don't get you guys sometimes.
Dec 15th 2009
Minority Report?
Dec 15th 2009
      Minority Report gets better every time I see it.
Dec 15th 2009
      Minority Report would have been a fine, fine film
Dec 15th 2009
           Agreed. If Mystic River loses points for its ending...
Dec 15th 2009
      "amazed"?
Dec 16th 2009
           Then why feel the need to state and repeat that you don't get people
Dec 16th 2009
I LOVE the Phillips list...although I haven't seen Climates n/m
Dec 17th 2009
I dunno what my top 10 is.
Dec 15th 2009
Very good list.
Dec 16th 2009
American Splendor wouldn't make my top 10 but it was a great flick
Dec 17th 2009
DON'T FIGURE YOUR LISTS YET! WAIT TIL JANUARY 1st! lol
Dec 15th 2009
My only problem are...
Dec 15th 2009
Onion AV Club List
Dec 16th 2009
London Times
Dec 16th 2009
fuck me! I forgot about Cache!
Dec 16th 2009
      I was going to say, I didn't know you wrote for London Times.
Dec 17th 2009
           On the other hand, Code Unknown is one of the worst movies
Dec 17th 2009
#1 to a movie that didn't even have a plot. okay.
Dec 16th 2009
And people rave about the score, but it was actually quite
Dec 16th 2009
^^^^^ Hasn't seen The Shining
Dec 19th 2009
there's more of a story than a plot, if that makes sense
Dec 16th 2009
Slate magazine's Aught-O-Matic: interactive top 10 list (link)
Dec 17th 2009
I can't see anyone beating Richard Brody for Worst List of the Decade
Dec 17th 2009
      I was gonna say
Dec 17th 2009
           I liked Cassandra's Dream but any list with Irreversable on it sucks
Dec 17th 2009
PTP favorites, the Entertainment Weekly film critics
Dec 19th 2009
Those are the year's best; here's the decade's best
Dec 19th 2009
      those ppl need to be kicked in the balls
Dec 19th 2009
      For EW I don't hate that list
Dec 19th 2009
      Actually, here are their film critics' lists
Jan 01st 2010
I know we're waiting til Jan1st. but i couldnt wait
Dec 19th 2009
Am I the only one who thinks The Incredibles was overrated?
Dec 20th 2009
no
Jan 09th 2010
Slate magazine's Dana Stevens (and yes, this is the DECADE list)
Dec 22nd 2009
*text messages in my pocket*
Dec 22nd 2009
Indiewire and Metacritic
Dec 22nd 2009
both those list are very white and
Jan 11th 2010
      as someone who's used to kneejerk-calling white on everything lol
Jan 11th 2010
Ebert's best of the decade
Dec 31st 2009
Interesting struggle of the critic.
Dec 31st 2009
I kind of hate his list, but I love his inclusion of The Son
Dec 31st 2009
      And I didn't see Synechdoche on that list.
Dec 31st 2009

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 03:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Mystic River wouldn't even make my Top 50."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 09:49 AM

2. "same with "Mulholland Drive" for me."
In response to Reply # 1

actually, I'm not really digging this list at ALL.

Not that there's not some good flicks on it, but there's a few other movies I enjoyed more than say, "There Will Be Blood".

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 03:55 PM

30. "co-sign again."
In response to Reply # 2

what murder did they solve? some one please peel away the bullshit plot of this movie and the glimmer of lynch as a director

astralblak
20029 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 03:54 PM

29. "co-sign"
In response to Reply # 1

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 04:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
33. "."
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Dec-15-09 04:22 PM by 40thStreetBlack

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

DJ007
Member since Apr 06th 2003
5447 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 10:10 AM

3. "He should have did the opposite Eastern Promises over AHOV all day"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
20029 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 03:57 PM

31. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Dec-14-09 03:57 PM by astralblak

but neither are better than no country

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Thu Dec-17-09 02:22 PM

67. "agreed."
In response to Reply # 31

"Play Your Game" (c) Stan Van Gundy

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 11:58 AM

4. "I'd like Travers (or any critic) discuss the effects of time"
In response to Reply # 0

Travers' #2 film of the decade is Children of Men. In 2006, it wasn't even in his top 20. He kind of mentions that it won him over but I'd be interested to hear what he thought changed. I'd like to hear him go through his individual lists from years past and explain the changes. His #1 film of the year (The Departed) is still on the list but what happened to: Dreamgirls, Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of our Fathers, Volver, Babel, United 93, Borat, The Queen, Little Miss Sunshine, Prairie Home Companion as well as his second 10 of Inland Empire, Little Children, Pan's Labrynth, Miami Vice, Thank You For Smoking, For Your Consideration. The Prestige, Old Joy, The Proposition, and Apocalypto.

His #1 film of the decade was the #7 film of 2007. He was blown away by No Country for Old Men and then had:
2. Atonement
3. Into the Wild
4. Eastern Promises
5. Sweeney Todd
6. American Gangster

I'd be interested in hearing critics and filmmakers discuss why certain films they loved didn't stand the test of time and why other films seemed to get better with age.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Sun Dec-20-09 04:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
76. "i mean, i'd be interested in hearing his reasons too..."
In response to Reply # 4

but just because i think it would be interesting.

i'm pretty sure we all change our minds on things all the time. there is no doubt in my mind that certain songs, albums, movies, shows, books, paintings, cars, beverages, foods, people, sex positions, etc. can significantly grow on you or sour on you over time, and often times outside variables factor into your initial opinions...its easier to put things in the proper perspective after the fact.

I don't have too much a problem with it.

Ebert initially gave Shawshank either 3 or 3.5, but now he's put it in his greatest movies list.

----

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sun Dec-20-09 07:57 PM

78. "Yeah, it's natural to change your opinion"
In response to Reply # 76

But I think it would be interesting to hear people explain why they think certain films having staying power, others improve with age, and some just look terrible.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 12:16 PM

5. "Mystic River.......GOOD!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 12:45 PM

6. "Until the... ENDING!!"
In response to Reply # 5

CliffDogg
Member since Dec 19th 2004
18078 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 08:17 PM

11. "Read the book."
In response to Reply # 6

----

THFC
F1
MotoGP

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 08:37 PM

12. "If I have to read a book to like the movie version, then it's not Top 10..."
In response to Reply # 11
Sun Dec-13-09 08:38 PM by Frank Longo

That's all.

CliffDogg
18078 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 09:19 PM

14. "Just saying the ending is faithful to the book."
In response to Reply # 12

I liked both a bunch.

----

THFC
F1
MotoGP

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 12:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "Why would how good the book was preidcate whether the film..."
In response to Reply # 12

...was one of the ten best of the decade?

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 05:31 PM

37. "I said the film wasn't good. He told me to read the book."
In response to Reply # 25

Thus, my response. The book wouldn't change how good the movie is.

CliffDogg
18078 posts
Tue Dec-22-09 05:00 AM

80. "It made more sense if you read the book."
In response to Reply # 37

I can't help if you didn't like it, which seems to be the case, but I read the book before I saw the flick, and I loved it.

----

THFC
F1
MotoGP

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 08:44 PM

13. "doesn't discredit the.....FIRST 2 HOURS OF THE MOVIE!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

mrhood75
44717 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 12:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "And the ending.... ISN'T EVEN BAD."
In response to Reply # 13

I really hope people still aren't whining about the one Laura Linney scene.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 04:22 PM

35. "yeah they are"
In response to Reply # 27
Tue Dec-15-09 04:51 PM by 40thStreetBlack

>I really hope people still aren't whining about the one Laura
>Linney scene.

they think it comes out of nowhere and is out of place for her character because they didn't pay attention to the rest of her scenes for the first 2 hours of the movie.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 04:21 PM

34. "the ending makes sense & works fine."
In response to Reply # 6
Tue Dec-15-09 04:32 PM by 40thStreetBlack

just accept it already.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 02:58 PM

7. "RE: travers' top 10 of the decade: surprisingly good"
In response to Reply # 0

>10. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TRILOGY
>9. MYSTIC RIVER
>8. THE DEPARTED
>4. A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

no, no, no, no.

--------

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 03:18 PM

8. "okay with it other than the Departed"
In response to Reply # 0

what a mediocre movie

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 03:27 PM

9. "Has he never seen In the Mood for Love?"
In response to Reply # 0

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Sat Dec-19-09 07:25 PM

72. "Lol American mainstream publications don't praise subtitled films"
In response to Reply # 9

History of Violence is about as close to foreign films as they get. It's a shame b/c there was a lot of great world cinema this decade.

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 03:37 PM

10. "My list better"
In response to Reply # 0

10) 2046

9) Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring

8) Ghost World

7) Letters from Iwo Jima

6) No Country for Old Men

5) Pan's Labyrinth

4) The Pianist

3) Mulholland Dr

2) Werckmeister Harmonies

1) In the Mood for Love

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 09:25 PM

15. "^^^ too much artsy, not enough fartsy."
In response to Reply # 10

We're gonna do a spin-off of this post though.

Deebot
26762 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 09:47 PM

16. "and I already know your list will be too much fartsy, soooo"
In response to Reply # 15

we'll cancel each other out.

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 09:54 PM

17. "i've seen 2 LOTR movies, the incredibles, and mystic river"
In response to Reply # 0

a couple of those i've never even heard of. then again, i don't watch movies very often.

roaches
Member since Jun 04th 2003
6849 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 10:51 PM

18. "i think my favorites are:"
In response to Reply # 0

in abc order:

anchorman
children of men
city of god
the hangover
michael clayton
no country for old men
requiem for a dream*
slumdog millionaire
traffic
the wrestler

*requiem for a dream is in there because i couldn't settle on a token pixar movie, i guess.

dula dos pistolas
3295 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 02:23 AM

22. "yeah, when i first read the list..."
In response to Reply # 18

>city of god
>traffic

these were 2 of the more obvious omissions that immediately came to mind.

10 is always hard tho, such a small number means there'll always be some ground left uncovered. i liked that ebert did a top 20 for his '08 year-ender.

i also lovelovelove that the oscars doubled the number of best picture nominees. the nomination is an award in itself, i don't see why anyone would have an issue w/ more great films being recognized + (hopefully) gaining a wider audience. a yr ago, something like "the hurt locker" or "an education" is undoubtedly on the outside looking in. this yr, given the broader field, they've got a pretty decent shot @ noms. GOOD!!!

___

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 11:09 PM

19. "do we have an official top 10 of the decade post yet?"
In response to Reply # 0

i saw this one, then another one recently, then one sponge did a while back..

we need to pick one. or make one lol.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 11:11 PM

20. "I PM'd Sponge about waiting until the major Oscar bait came out..."
In response to Reply # 19

...but now that most of it has been released...

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 01:29 AM

21. "I volunteered to compile one for the archives around next April-June"

So that folks will have time to catch the 2009 awards season flicks on DVD. Seems like a lot of people wait for the DVDs nowadays.

If people don't want to wait that long maybe in thinking that they doubt Avatar, Nine, Sherlock Homes, etc. won't rank, I'd do it sooner. Maybe Frank should post a poll. Have a vote. I'm down.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 10:13 AM

23. "Nah, I like waiting. Your rationale is spot on."
In response to Reply # 21

Though doing it earlier rather than later might be better. Like having it up pre-Oscars. I dunno.

mrhood75
44717 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 12:55 PM

26. "It's odd that I have no conception of what the best of film"

of the decade is. Like, really, when I try to think of one, almost zilch comes up. And it's not like I haven't really enjoyed films this decade (and I've seen a bunch of them).

-----------------

www.albumism.com

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 02:31 PM

53. "No Country For Old Men is a pretty firm #1 IMO"
In response to Reply # 26

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 10:42 AM

24. "Completely typical"
In response to Reply # 0

Exactly what I'd expect...

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 03:03 PM

28. "Love seeing Children Of Men @ 2, but I HATED history of violence"
In response to Reply # 0

I will never understand the love for that boring ass piece of shit movie

astralblak
20029 posts
Mon Dec-14-09 04:06 PM

32. "who doesn't have "
In response to Reply # 0

Pan's Labyrinth and Amorres Perros in there top 10. I laugh at Peter's list, even though i usually agree with is opinion. I nod yes to the departed, no country, and there will be blood. the incredibles was just that, but it would make my top 25, not 10. everything else i really disliked espicially Mystic River and Brokeback, and the dislike of the latter has nothing to do with the exploration of homosexuality and everything to do with it's just a terrible film to watch. a history of violence and children of men are good but much over-rated

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 04:31 PM

36. "i'll give him DDL's performance as the best of the decade"
In response to Reply # 0

but that doesn't make TWBB the best movie of the decade.

and picking history of violence ahead of eastern promises + putting it ahead NCFOM must be some kind of in-joke I didn't get. in fact it doesn't belong anywhere near this list.

I liked Children of Men quite a bit but #2 of the decade is a stretch to say the least.

respect for putting The Incredibles on the list though, that movie is great.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14981 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 06:34 PM

38. "i put these four in my top 10, not sure what the other six are yet"
In response to Reply # 0

25th hour
motorcycle diaries
city of god
traffic

-----------------------------------------------------------------

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Dec-17-09 02:05 PM

64. "25th Hour is in my top 10 as well"
In response to Reply # 38

dula dos pistolas
3295 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 07:31 PM

39. "sooooooo... AHoV + MR are the major objections?"
In response to Reply # 0

hmm. i really dug both of those.

ptp is weird sometimes.

___

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 07:38 PM

40. "AO Scott and Michael Phillips' lists so far are a bit strange."
In response to Reply # 0

They've gone through their top 8 picks so far. I have to assume that they agreed to not pick the same movies because I don't know how you can go through the eight of the top 10 and not have one movie that you both chose.

Phillips' are
10. Minority Report
9. Gosford Park
8. Mulholland Drive
7. United 93
6. Zodiac
5. Y Tu Mama Tambien
4. Once
3. Climates

Scott's are:
10. Million Dollar Baby
9. 25th Hour
8. Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind
7. 4 months, 3 days, and 2 hours
6. The Best of Youth
5. Where the Wild Things Are
4. The Pianist
3. Brokeback Mountain

When I saw their picks for #10, I basically wrote off their lists but I thought I'd add it to this discussion.

----

dula dos pistolas
3295 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 08:32 PM

41. "i repeat: i really don't get you guys sometimes."
In response to Reply # 40

all of the movies on these 2 lists that i've seen were very good. certainly nothing terrible enough to garner this sort of dismissiveness.

___

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 08:51 PM

43. "Minority Report?"
In response to Reply # 41

Visually interesting but I just don't see that movie as being close to the Top Ten of the Decade. I'd even make arguments against Million Dollar Baby and Zodiac even though I thought Zodiac was a very good movie.

And I think it's very strange that they haven't shared a single movie yet.

Every single list is going to have films that people scoff at and that they'd have to defend. It's the nature of making Top Ten lists. They're created to spark discussion. I'm not sure why you're so amazed when people have strong reactions.

----

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 09:26 PM

45. "Minority Report gets better every time I see it."
In response to Reply # 43

And it was fucking terrific to begin with.

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18753 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 09:32 PM

46. "Minority Report would have been a fine, fine film"
In response to Reply # 45

if it weren't for the hour of needless film tacked onto the end.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 09:37 PM

47. "Agreed. If Mystic River loses points for its ending..."
In response to Reply # 46

...then Minority Report should also get knocked down for its neverending ending. I'm not saying that it was a bad film, I just don't see how it's in the running for Best of the Decade.

----

dula dos pistolas
3295 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 03:49 AM

49. ""amazed"?"
In response to Reply # 43

that's almost the diametric opposite of how i feel.

lol. why on earth would i be amazed that ppl whine incessantly abt critic lists? i've come to fully expect it @ this point.

___

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 09:43 AM

50. "Then why feel the need to state and repeat that you don't get people"
In response to Reply # 49

on this board.

People don't think some of the movies on these lists are very good or deserving and they argue their case. I wouldn't call that whining incessantly.

----

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Thu Dec-17-09 02:38 PM

68. "I LOVE the Phillips list...although I haven't seen Climates n/m"
In response to Reply # 40

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43743 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 08:41 PM

42. "I dunno what my top 10 is."
In response to Reply # 0

It would include:

- No Country for Old Men
- Traffic
- City of God
- Almost Famous
- Requiem for a Dream
- Kill Bill
- American Splendor
- Oldboy
- Diving Bell And The Butterfly
- The Incredibles

I dunno though. I'd have to really think about it.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Silologistix
Member since May 21st 2003
5198 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 03:56 PM

54. "Very good list."
In response to Reply # 42

>It would include:
>
>- No Country for Old Men
>- Traffic
>- City of God
>- Almost Famous
>- Requiem for a Dream
>- Kill Bill
>- American Splendor
>- Oldboy
>- Diving Bell And The Butterfly
>- The Incredibles

Not a big fan of Kill Bill but a good list nonetheless.

Yes, Cuban b(e)... helpin'.

Don't think-FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL! © Bruce Lee

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Dec-17-09 02:10 PM

65. "American Splendor wouldn't make my top 10 but it was a great flick"
In response to Reply # 42

I need to watch that one again

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 09:25 PM

44. "DON'T FIGURE YOUR LISTS YET! WAIT TIL JANUARY 1st! lol"
In response to Reply # 0

I promise, PTP is on this.

xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Tue Dec-15-09 10:17 PM

48. "My only problem are..."
In response to Reply # 0

A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, MULHOLLAND DRIVE, and CHILDREN OF MEN. Although they're fairly good, especially Children Of Men, I would like to see City of God or Kill Bill (Vol.1 & Vol.2).

http://www.artisticalliance.org

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 10:02 AM

51. "Onion AV Club List"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind
2. 25th Hour
3. There Will Be Blood
4. No Country for Old Men
5. Memento
6. Spirited Away
7. Kill Bill vol. 1
8. Capturing the Friedmans
9. The New World
10. Children of Men

It's a top 50 list with a few inclusions that will definitely get some blood rising (including the recently PTP discussion Waking LIfe).

----

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 10:11 AM

52. "London Times"
In response to Reply # 0

1. In the Mood for Love
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Master and Commander
4. The Lives of Others
5. Gladiator
6. No Country for Old Men
7. United 93
8. Man on Wire
9. Code Unknown
10. Cache (Hidden)

Here's their list of the Top 100
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article6902642.ece

----

Deebot
26762 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 04:20 PM

55. "fuck me! I forgot about Cache!"
In response to Reply # 52

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Thu Dec-17-09 12:37 PM

61. "I was going to say, I didn't know you wrote for London Times."
In response to Reply # 55

Deebot
26762 posts
Thu Dec-17-09 12:42 PM

62. "On the other hand, Code Unknown is one of the worst movies"
In response to Reply # 61

I've ever seen. 100% pretentious, boring bullshit. Cache is made by the same guy though, haha.

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 04:58 PM

56. "#1 to a movie that didn't even have a plot. okay."
In response to Reply # 0

i don't get the there will be blood love. at all. here's 2 hours of daniel day lewis being an asshole, there's your movie. great. awesome.

give me a movie with a story instead.

i still blame hip-hop.

Deebot
26762 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 05:03 PM

57. "And people rave about the score, but it was actually quite"
In response to Reply # 56

obnoxious in some scenes....like that's all you could focus on was the strange music playing at the time. There were at least 3 scenes when I said wtf? to myself. That's not how it should be.

I didn't hate the movie though....I don't regret seeing it. But it's definitely not making my list.

zuma1986
9085 posts
Sat Dec-19-09 07:35 PM

73. "^^^^^ Hasn't seen The Shining"
In response to Reply # 57

It's suppose to overtake the scene and give an unsettling feeling, hence the non-typical period piece score and instruments. The film is a portrait of a psychopath, a soft subtle orchestra just wouldn't have the same effect.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Wed Dec-16-09 05:16 PM

58. "there's more of a story than a plot, if that makes sense"
In response to Reply # 56

but yeah it's not as great of a movie as some people make it, it's more a movie with a great performance.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Thu Dec-17-09 12:10 PM

59. "Slate magazine's Aught-O-Matic: interactive top 10 list (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, hipster blah blah blah, just click the fucking link, thnx:

http://www.slate.com/id/2238714/

also on Facebook

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Dec-17-09 12:20 PM

60. "I can't see anyone beating Richard Brody for Worst List of the Decade"
In response to Reply # 59
Thu Dec-17-09 12:32 PM by SoulHonky

I haven't seen most of the foreign/indie films so I can't comment on those but I pretty much know that I should never listen to a guy who thinks the best four American made movies of the decade were:

1. The Darjeeling Limited
2. Knocked Up
3. Cassandra's Dream
4. Gran Torino

Those weren't even those directors' best movies of the decade.

EDIT: OK, now I'm confused.
8. “Knocked Up” (2008, Judd Apatow): Suddenly, all contemporary comedy seemed old-fashioned. From Lubitsch through the Farrelly brothers, the funniest guys in the room were behind the camera; Judd Apatow discovered, or rediscovered, the trick of the great silent clowns—to put funny people on screen—and to make it personal. (If Eddie Murphy had, say, directed “Norbit” in addition to starring in it, it would likely find a place on this list too.)

----

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Dec-17-09 12:59 PM

63. "I was gonna say"
In response to Reply # 60
Thu Dec-17-09 01:00 PM by Sponge

that Cassandra's Dream and Gran Torino aren't in ranked order, but then his other American films are:

Hannah Takes the Stairs - horrible
Frownland - meh
Funny Ha Ha - mostly meh (could've been decent with better acting and better sound recording)

So it doesn't matter. LOL. His taste in American film is terrible.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Dec-17-09 02:16 PM

66. "I liked Cassandra's Dream but any list with Irreversable on it sucks"
In response to Reply # 63

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sat Dec-19-09 05:04 AM

69. "PTP favorites, the Entertainment Weekly film critics"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20326356_20331572,00.html

Lisa Schwarzbaum:

1. The Hurt Locker
2. Up
3. Coraline
4. Up in the Air
5. Where the Wild Things Are
6. Fantastic Mr. Fox
7. A Serious Man
8. Big Fan
9. District 9
10. Everlasting Moments

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20326356_20331569,00.html

Owen Gleiberman:

1. Up in the Air
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
4. I Love You, Man
5. Food, Inc.
6. (500) Days of Summer
7. Fantastic Mr. Fox
8. The Girlfriend Experience
9. The Hurt Locker
10. Adventureland

also on Facebook

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Sat Dec-19-09 03:53 PM

70. "Those are the year's best; here's the decade's best"
In response to Reply # 69
Sat Dec-19-09 04:01 PM by SoulHonky

Looks like they went the populist route.

10. Almost Famous
9. Lost in Translantion
8. 40 Year Old Virgin
7. Children of Men
6. Moulin Rouge!
5. Wall-E
4. The Dark Knight
3. Gladiator
2. Brokeback Mountain
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

----

Deebot
26762 posts
Sat Dec-19-09 04:08 PM

71. "those ppl need to be kicked in the balls"
In response to Reply # 70

zuma1986
9085 posts
Sat Dec-19-09 07:56 PM

75. "For EW I don't hate that list"
Sat Dec-19-09 07:57 PM by zuma1986

I don't expect them to have anything that challenges the viewer. And at least they're being consistent and not trying to throw in an art-house or sub-titled picture to seem higher brow

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Jan-01-10 01:14 PM

87. "Actually, here are their film critics' lists"

http://movie-critics.ew.com/2009/12/25/owens-ten-best-of-the-decade/

Gleiberman:

1. Far From Heaven (2002)
2. Sideways (2004)
3. The Century of the Self (2005)
4. Gladiator (2000)
5. Chuck & Buck (2000)
6. Moulin Rouge! (2001)
7. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
8. Munich (2005)
9. Lilya 4-Ever (2003)
10. Casino Royale (2006)

http://movie-critics.ew.com/2009/12/30/lisas-10-best-movies-of-the-decade/

Schwarzbaum:

1. There Will Be Blood (2007)
2. Sideways (2004)
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
4. Yi Yi (2000)
5. The New World (2005)
6. Zodiac (2007)
7. The Dark Knight (2008)
8. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)
9. Moolaade (2005)
10. Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005)

also on Facebook

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Sat Dec-19-09 07:53 PM

74. "I know we're waiting til Jan1st. but i couldnt wait"
In response to Reply # 0

10. Wall-E
9. The Fall
8. Gladiator
7. Road To Perdition
6. Let The Right One In
5. Amelie
4. Ratatouille
3. City of God
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
1. There Will Be Blood

...for now.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Dec-20-09 04:47 PM

77. "Am I the only one who thinks The Incredibles was overrated?"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean it was good, but IMO the fourth best Pixar film of the decade (Ratatouille, WALL E and Monsters Inc. Maybe Finding Nemo too.)

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Sat Jan-09-10 11:45 PM

88. "no"
In response to Reply # 77

it was way better than any of those
sorry

“Be uncomfortable; be sand, not oil, to the machinery of the world.”
- Gunter Eich

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Dec-22-09 03:15 AM

79. "Slate magazine's Dana Stevens (and yes, this is the DECADE list)"
In response to Reply # 0

And again, we know, "hipster yammer yammer yammer," suck a dick, thnx:

slate.com:

>Best of Decade (alphabetical order)

My decade list goes to 11, Nigel Tufnel-style, because even after multiple passes I couldn't bear to eliminate any of the following:

4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days (Cristian Mungiu, 2008): This Romanian drama about a college girl helping her friend obtain an illegal abortion during the days of the Ceaucescu dictatorship is the furthest thing possible from an eat-your-broccoli social-issues movie. It's emotionally devastating and aesthetically daring. Unforgettable.

Atanarjuat (Zacharias Kunuk, 2002): This retelling of an Inuit folk tale felt like an entirely new form of filmmaking on its release in 2002: an ancient myth turned suspense thriller, shot on high-definition digital video in a part of the world most of us never get to see. The barefoot-on-the-ice chase sequence alone is worth the price of admission.

Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006): Cuarón's adaptation of P.D. James' dystopian novel about a worldwide infertility epidemic works equally well as a chase movie or a religious allegory, and throws in some formal innovations along the way, including two of the most astonishing long takes in recent cinema history.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004): I considered leaving this one out because it seemed too unoriginal—everyone's going to have it on their lists. But there's a reason why. Gondry's collaboration with the screenwriter Charlie Kaufman gets at a truth about modern romance that no other movie has ever even tried to tell. Like Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, Eternal Sunshine's story traces and retraces the Möbius strip that connects memory and love.

Gosford Park (Robert Altman, 2001): Altman's last great film, this upstairs/downstairs story of a cacophonous weekend gathering at a British country house showcases everything the master did best: There's slyly funny class analysis, deceptively casual overlapping dialogue, and an ensemble of marvelous actors given free rein to improvise and create.

Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog, 2005) There are good documentaries, there are great documentaries, and then there's Grizzly Man, in which Werner Herzog turns the video diaries of the doomed grizzly enthusiast Timothy Treadwell into a meditation on nature, culture, art, and death. One of the all-time great marriages of filmmaker and subject.

L'Enfant (Jean-Luc and Pierre Dardenne, 2005): Any one of the Dardenne brothers' films from this decade could have made my list, but this story of a young father who sells his child on the black market shows their style at its most elemental and pure.

Lilya 4-ever (Lukas Moodysson, 2002) The Swedish director's exploration of the child sex trade in Eastern Europe is searingly bleak and incongruously beautiful.

Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001) Unlike many Lynch acolytes, I consider Mulholland Dr. (spelled with the abbreviation, the way Lynch likes it) to be a gloriously imperfect film. No one's ever been able to explain to my satisfaction what the whole subplot about that Dumpster-dwelling guy is about, or why Justin Theroux keeps running into that cowboy dude. But it makes my list for the sublime central love story between Naomi Watts and Laura Elena Harring, and for being the movie that's inspired more and better dinner conversations than any film, perhaps, ever.

Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001): This animated fairy tale about a young girl who tries to break a spell on her parents by working in a bathhouse catering to forest spirits is as close as you can get to living inside someone else's dream.

There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007): Once again, this choice won't earn me any points from counterintuitive cool-hunters. It's bound to appear on best-of-decade lists from sea to shining sea. But Anderson's tale of an oil tycoon driven mad by his own success is as magisterial an American epic as The Godfather.

Decade Runners-Up

Colossal Youth, Pedro Costa, 2006
I Heart Huckabees, David O. Russell, 2004
Pan's Labyrinth, Guillermo del Toro, 2007
The Gleaners and I, Agnès Varda, 2000
The Triplets of Belleville, Sylvain Chomet, 2003
Time Out, Laurent Cantet, 2001

also on Facebook

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Tue Dec-22-09 07:36 AM

81. "*text messages in my pocket* "
In response to Reply # 0

LOLOMG THADEPARTEDF UCKIN SUCKED NGZMADARTSY UP IN THIS
PIECEGOD

----------------------------

O_E: Your Super-Ego's Favorite Poster.

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "Cosmic Slop"

ryc
Member since Jan 01st 2007
448 posts
Tue Dec-22-09 07:26 PM

82. "Indiewire and Metacritic"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.indiewire.com/survey/best_of_the_decade_critics_survey_2000s/best_of_the_decade

http://features.metacritic.com/features/2009/the-best-movies-of-the-decade/

astralblak
20029 posts
Mon Jan-11-10 04:11 PM

89. "both those list are very white and "
In response to Reply # 82

kind of lame

ryc
Member since Jan 01st 2007
448 posts
Mon Jan-11-10 08:01 PM

90. "as someone who's used to kneejerk-calling white on everything lol"
In response to Reply # 89

wasn't the first thing that struck me

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Dec-31-09 04:44 PM

83. "Ebert's best of the decade"
In response to Reply # 0

10 ranked and another 10 in alphabetical order:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/12/the_best_films_of_the_decade.html

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Dec-31-09 08:06 PM

84. "Interesting struggle of the critic."
In response to Reply # 83

I thought the end of Ebert's article was interesting. "And this reflection: All of these films are on this list for the same reason: The direct emotional impact they made on me."

'Almost the first day I started writing reviews, I found a sentence in a book by Robert Warshow that I pinned on the wall above my desk. I have quoted it so frequently that some readers must be weary of it, but it helps me stay grounded. It says: "A man goes to the movies. A critic must be honest enough to admit he is that man." That doesn't make one person right and another wrong. All it means is that you know how they really felt, not how they thought they should feel.'

I completely agree with that. Then again, I think it's odd that he included this at the end of his piece yet opened with the very matter of fact: "Synecdoche, New York" is the best film of the decade."
---

The oddest part is that he apparently considers a decade to be 11 years. His replies in the comments section are kind of an L.

----

Deebot
26762 posts
Thu Dec-31-09 10:49 PM

85. "I kind of hate his list, but I love his inclusion of The Son"
In response to Reply # 83

I think it's odd that he didn't include IMFL or Werckmeister Harmonies....two movies he has already added to his "All Time Great" list.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Dec-31-09 10:57 PM

86. "And I didn't see Synechdoche on that list."
In response to Reply # 85

----

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #491315 Previous topic | Next topic