Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #478847

Subject: ""Letterman to admit tonight he's extortion victim; had sexual relations ..." Previous topic | Next topic
THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 08:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Letterman to admit tonight he's extortion victim; had sexual relations ..."

"Letterman to admit tonight he's extortion victim; had sexual relations with staff."

this is the headline that is blowing up on twitter now. normally don't post gossipy stuff on here, but damn Dave...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Variety swipe
Oct 01st 2009
Damn Dave is definitely that dude.
Oct 01st 2009
I know he dated Merrill Markoe for a spell
Oct 01st 2009
!
Oct 01st 2009
When did these relations occur? He just got married in March.
Oct 02nd 2009
      he's been with that woman for like 17 years though
Oct 03rd 2009
           That would be 23 years
Oct 04th 2009
Not a good look. Why do celebs think they can get away with this shit?
Oct 01st 2009
Exactly what is he trying to get away with? Having a private life?
Oct 02nd 2009
      thank you
Oct 02nd 2009
RE: "Letterman to admit tonight he's extortion victim; had sexual relati...
Oct 01st 2009
Better it comes from him than anyone else.
Oct 01st 2009
yeah hes doing a much better job than Rick Pitino
Oct 01st 2009
      fuck that. he gets no credit.
Oct 01st 2009
           I didn't say what he did was right...
Oct 01st 2009
                yeah, i just needed a place to say fuck him for this
Oct 01st 2009
that was awkward
Oct 01st 2009
Yeah, I was saying in GD that I thought he'd at least preface it by
Oct 02nd 2009
Not cool but definitely G points for saying...
Oct 02nd 2009
Dave fucking you must be miserable
Oct 02nd 2009
First off I'm embarrassed
Oct 02nd 2009
Why is everyone saying he did the right thing?
Oct 02nd 2009
Because for all we know right now, he didn't do anything wrong.
Oct 02nd 2009
I disagree with your percentage.
Oct 02nd 2009
It's being reported that the guy who tried to extort him was a
Oct 02nd 2009
i wonder how many hours they caught him in
Oct 02nd 2009
Not just a staffer, a staffer we know.
Oct 02nd 2009
      Wait! There's more (link)
Oct 02nd 2009
           *remembers Dave Chappelle standup bit about 'convenience'*
Oct 02nd 2009
           LOL @ "great fun to play catch with"
Oct 02nd 2009
           OH DANG he was straight clowning her ex on TV
Oct 03rd 2009

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 08:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Variety swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118009463.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

In an uncharacteristically personal revelation for David Letterman, the host took to his "Late Show" stage to admit that he was the victim of an extortion attempt - and acknowledge that he has had sexual relations with more than one staff member.

According to a press release sent by Letterman's PR reps, the host first received a package three weeks ago from someone who claimed to have information about alleged sexual relations he has had with female employees of the "Late Show."

The individual threatened to go public with the allegations unless Letterman paid him $2 million.

Letterman told his audience on Thursday that he contacted the Manhattan District Attorney's Special Prosecution Bureau. That led to a sting operation, in which Letterman met with the individual and handed him a fake $2 million check. That person was arrested on Thursday.

"This morning, I did something I've never done in my life," Letterman said on Thursday's edition of CBS' "Late Show." "I had to go downtown and testify before a grand jury."

As part of the testimony, Letterman admitted that he had engaged in sexual relationships with staff members.

"My response to that is, yes I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would," Letterman said. "I feel like I need to protect these people -- I need to certainly protect my family."

A Letterman spokesman declined to comment further on the matter, only to say that Letterman will have more to say on Thursday night's program.

Revelation came on what should have been a day of celebration for Letterman, as ratings from week one of the new TV season gave the host his first outright late night victory in four years.

Letterman's revelation may also have an impact on the late night ratings race, as interest in the extortion case perhaps fuels tune-in. It's been an eventful week in the late night sphere, as "Tonight Show" host Conan O'Brien was rushed to the hospital last Friday after hitting his head on stage.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 08:12 PM

2. "Damn Dave is definitely that dude."
In response to Reply # 1

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 08:18 PM

3. "I know he dated Merrill Markoe for a spell"
In response to Reply # 1

she was the head writer on the original Late Night for a minute

And yeah, "heh heh, he said 'head'," har har har

also on Facebook

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 09:11 PM

4. "!"
In response to Reply # 1

Wow.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

DeadMike
Member since Jan 28th 2005
1030 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 10:25 AM

18. "When did these relations occur? He just got married in March."
In response to Reply # 1

So if it happened a year or so ago it's not so bad.

Young H
Member since Mar 15th 2006
35550 posts
Sat Oct-03-09 06:16 AM

29. "he's been with that woman for like 17 years though"
In response to Reply # 18

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sun Oct-04-09 03:22 PM

31. "That would be 23 years"
In response to Reply # 29

also on Facebook

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 09:25 PM

5. "Not a good look. Why do celebs think they can get away with this shit?"
In response to Reply # 0

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*Effasig*

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 10:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "Exactly what is he trying to get away with? Having a private life?"
In response to Reply # 5

If he had consensual sex with people on the show and wasn't making the sex a condition of their continued employment on the show, then he did nothing wrong.

The extortionist is just trying get a payday by exposing something Dave and another consenting adult have done in private.

Now if it comes out later that Dave was sexually harassing these women, that's different.

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
-George Clinton

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 01:02 PM

28. "thank you"
In response to Reply # 19

this place is weird....

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

The Goldng Child
Member since Jun 27th 2002
1065 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 09:36 PM

6. "RE: "Letterman to admit tonight he's extortion victim; had sexual relati..."
In response to Reply # 0

dave would be the one celebrity to undercut an extortionist by going public w/ his secrets on his own terms.

Zion3Lion
Member since Dec 23rd 2002
16767 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 09:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Better it comes from him than anyone else."
In response to Reply # 0

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 09:47 PM

8. "yeah hes doing a much better job than Rick Pitino"
In response to Reply # 7

I don't condone him screwing around on his wife like this, and I am not sure what the fallout will be, but so far he is handling this correctly.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 10:50 PM

9. "fuck that. he gets no credit. "
In response to Reply # 8

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 11:01 PM

10. "I didn't say what he did was right..."
In response to Reply # 9
Thu Oct-01-09 11:13 PM by THRILLHOUSE

just saying at least he isn't like Rick Pitino and calling crazy press conferences blaming the media instead of himself.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 11:50 PM

12. "yeah, i just needed a place to say fuck him for this"
In response to Reply # 10

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Thu Oct-01-09 11:17 PM

11. "that was awkward"
In response to Reply # 0

much like the Michael Richards interview it just felt awkard with the audience laughing. Both instances the audience had no idea what was going on so I can't blame them for laughing, just was weird.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 02:16 AM

13. "Yeah, I was saying in GD that I thought he'd at least preface it by"
In response to Reply # 11

saying something to the effect of, "Now, what I'm about to tell you is some serious business, so if you don't mind, I'd like to bend your ear for a minute"... but he didn't, so it's understandable for them to laugh -- especially since he was sprinkling jokes throughout the story... they eventually realized that he wasn't really joking, especially when he said the dollar amount and revealed that he had been having sex with his employees... but even then he threw more jokes in, so I can't really be mad at them for that... nor can I be mad at David for getting this out before it got out... and we don't know how he and his wife get down, so I'm not going to pass judgment on that relationship either...

also on Facebook

cali_steve
Member since Aug 06th 2009
163 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 03:21 AM

14. "Not cool but definitely G points for saying..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd rather put myself on blast on the air than pay you a dime! Dave will have little reprocussion from this.

>>Expert on all things Cali

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 08:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Dave fucking you must be miserable"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

cali_steve
Member since Aug 06th 2009
163 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 09:35 AM

16. "First off I'm embarrassed "
In response to Reply # 0

of my spelling of "repercussion". It was late.

I don't really fault him for doing this way. Instead of have a press conference he said well I have a good portion of America listening to me every night I'll talk about this once on my terms. That's Dave's way, he's so private the only time he's open and honest is on the show.

>>Expert on all things Cali

ncr2h
Member since May 07th 2005
1224 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 09:51 AM

17. "Why is everyone saying he did the right thing?"
In response to Reply # 0

The right thing would have been to come out and admit that it was wrong.

It doesn't make you a better man to admit something when an extortionist is forcing your hand. 95% of the world would have done the exact same thing...how does this make him a stand-up guy?

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 10:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "Because for all we know right now, he didn't do anything wrong."
In response to Reply # 17

>The right thing would have been to come out and admit that it
>was wrong.

We don't know that he did anything wrong. If he sexually harassed a woman on the show, that's one thing. But if was consensual, then it's not wrong. Even the law on sexual harassment says that.

>It doesn't make you a better man to admit something when an
>extortionist is forcing your hand. 95% of the world would
>have done the exact same thing...how does this make him a
>stand-up guy?

95% of the world don't have the wealth and notoriety of David Letterman, and therefore, not as much to lose. I'm not saying he's the ballsiest dude on the planet, but to essentially give the extorter a big "fuck you" by admitting it and cutting their legs from under them is pretty slick. Especially since they were probably banking that Dave wouldn't want to put his fame and reputation at stake.

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
-George Clinton

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 12:05 PM

25. "I disagree with your percentage. "
In response to Reply # 17

Just because it's the right thing and the smart thing doesn't mean 95% of people would do it. You should know that.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 10:46 AM

21. "It's being reported that the guy who tried to extort him was a"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-02-09 11:15 AM by ZooTown74

48 Hours producer who just happened to be dating one of Letterman's former female staffers... Robert Halderman's his name...

latimes.com:

>CBS says accused Letterman extortionist works on '48 Hours'
October 1, 2009 | 9:29 pm

Letterman CBS has revealed that the person accused in a $2-million blackmail plot against talk show host David Letterman is a network employee who works on the true-crime show "48 Hours."

At a taping of tonight's "Late Show," Letterman told the studio audience that an unnamed person had approached him and threatened to reveal details of the host's sexual liaisons with female staffers unless a payment of $2 million was received. Letterman said he admitted to the sexual relationships during grand jury testimony.

In a statement late Thursday, the network said: "CBS was made aware of an ongoing police investigation involving David Letterman and an employee at '48 Hours,' who was subsequently arrested earlier today on charges of attempted grand larceny in the first degree." The employee had been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation, the network added.

"Mr. Letterman addressed the issue during the show's broadcast this evening, and we believe his comments speak for themselves," the network said in the statement.

--Scott Collins

also on Facebook

thoughtprocess
Member since Nov 16th 2003
22223 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 11:13 AM

22. "i wonder how many hours they caught him in"
In response to Reply # 21

from the time Letterman first told them.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 11:24 AM

23. "Not just a staffer, a staffer we know."
In response to Reply # 21

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/update-woman-linked-letterman-to-alleged-extortionist/

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 11:34 AM

24. "Wait! There's more (link)"
In response to Reply # 23

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/02/stephanie-birkitt-letterm_n_307558.html

also on Facebook

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 12:09 PM

26. "*remembers Dave Chappelle standup bit about 'convenience'*"
In response to Reply # 24

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Fri Oct-02-09 12:45 PM

27. "LOL @ "great fun to play catch with""

I'm not surprised that she is one of the staffers Dave did it with.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Sat Oct-03-09 08:37 AM

30. "OH DANG he was straight clowning her ex on TV"

gangster

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #478847 Previous topic | Next topic