Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #475024

Subject: "I Will Not Read Your Fucking Script. (long swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 02:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I Will Not Read Your Fucking Script. (long swipe)"

blogs.villagevoice.com:

>We know you've been working very hard on your screenplay, but before you go looking for some professional feedback, you might keep in mind the following piece by A History of Violence screenwriter Josh Olson.

I will not read your fucking script.

That's simple enough, isn't it? "I will not read your fucking script." What's not clear about that? There's nothing personal about it, nothing loaded, nothing complicated. I simply have no interest in reading your fucking screenplay. None whatsoever.

If that seems unfair, I'll make you a deal. In return for you not asking me to read your fucking script, I will not ask you to wash my fucking car, or take my fucking picture, or represent me in fucking court, or take out my fucking gall bladder, or whatever the fuck it is that you do for a living.

You're a lovely person. Whatever time we've spent together has, I'm sure, been pleasurable for both of us. I quite enjoyed that conversation we once had about structure and theme, and why Sergio Leone is the greatest director who ever lived. Yes, we bonded, and yes, I wish you luck in all your endeavors, and it would thrill me no end to hear that you had sold your screenplay, and that it had been made into the best movie since Godfather Part II.

But I will not read your fucking script.

At this point, you should walk away, firm in your conviction that I'm a dick. But if you're interested in growing as a human being and recognizing that it is, in fact, you who is the dick in this situation, please read on.

Yes. That's right. I called you a dick. Because you created this situation. You put me in this spot where my only option is to acquiesce to your demands or be the bad guy. That, my friend, is the very definition of a dick move.

I was recently cornered by a young man of my barest acquaintance.

I doubt we've exchanged a hundred words. But he's dating someone I know, and he cornered me in the right place at the right time, and asked me to read a two-page synopsis for a script he'd been working on for the last year. He was submitting the synopsis to some contest or program, and wanted to get a professional opinion.

Now, I normally have a standard response to people who ask me to read their scripts, and it's the simple truth: I have two piles next to my bed. One is scripts from good friends, and the other is manuscripts and books and scripts my agents have sent to me that I have to read for work. Every time I pick up a friend's script, I feel guilty that I'm ignoring work. Every time I pick something up from the other pile, I feel guilty that I'm ignoring my friends. If I read yours before any of that, I'd be an awful person.

Most people get that. But sometimes you find yourself in a situation where the guilt factor is really high, or someone plays on a relationship or a perceived obligation, and it's hard to escape without seeming rude. Then, I tell them I'll read it, but if I can put it down after ten pages, I will. They always go for that, because nobody ever believes you can put their script down once you start.

But hell, this was a two page synopsis, and there was no time to go into either song or dance, and it was just easier to take it. How long can two pages take?

Weeks, is the answer.

And this is why I will not read your fucking script.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.

(By the way, here's a simple way to find out if you're a writer. If you disagree with that statement, you're not a writer. Because, you see, writers are also readers.)

You may want to allow for the fact that this fellow had never written a synopsis before, but that doesn't excuse the inability to form a decent sentence, or an utter lack of facility with language and structure. The story described was clearly of great importance to him, but he had done nothing to convey its specifics to an impartial reader. What I was handed was, essentially, a barely coherent list of events, some connected, some not so much. Characters wander around aimlessly, do things for no reason, vanish, reappear, get arrested for unnamed crimes, and make wild, life-altering decisions for no reason. Half a paragraph is devoted to describing the smell and texture of a piece of food, but the climactic central event of the film is glossed over in a sentence. The death of the hero is not even mentioned. One sentence describes a scene he's in, the next describes people showing up at his funeral. I could go on, but I won't. This is the sort of thing that would earn you a D minus in any Freshman Comp class.

Which brings us to an ugly truth about many aspiring screenwriters: They think that screenwriting doesn't actually require the ability to write, just the ability to come up with a cool story that would make a cool movie. Screenwriting is widely regarded as the easiest way to break into the movie business, because it doesn't require any kind of training, skill or equipment. Everybody can write, right? And because they believe that, they don't regard working screenwriters with any kind of real respect. They will hand you a piece of inept writing without a second thought, because you do not have to be a writer to be a screenwriter.

So. I read the thing. And it hurt, man. It really hurt. I was dying to find something positive to say, and there was nothing. And the truth is, saying something positive about this thing would be the nastiest, meanest and most dishonest thing I could do. Because here's the thing: not only is it cruel to encourage the hopeless, but you cannot discourage a writer. If someone can talk you out of being a writer, you're not a writer. If I can talk you out of being a writer, I've done you a favor, because now you'll be free to pursue your real talent, whatever that may be. And, for the record, everybody has one. The lucky ones figure out what that is. The unlucky ones keep on writing shitty screenplays and asking me to read them.

To make matters worse, this guy (and his girlfriend) had begged me to be honest with him. He was frustrated by the responses he'd gotten from friends, because he felt they were going easy on him, and he wanted real criticism. They never do, of course. What they want is a few tough notes to give the illusion of honesty, and then some pats on the head. What they want--always--is encouragement, even when they shouldn't get any.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to tell someone that they've spent a year wasting their time? Do you know how much blood and sweat goes into that criticism? Because you want to tell the truth, but you want to make absolutely certain that it comes across honestly and without cruelty. I did more rewrites on that fucking e-mail than I did on my last three studio projects.

My first draft was ridiculous. I started with specific notes, and after a while, found I'd written three pages on the first two paragraphs. That wasn't the right approach. So I tossed it, and by the time I was done, I'd come up with something that was relatively brief, to the point, and considerate as hell. The main point I made was that he'd fallen prey to a fallacy that nails a lot of first timers. He was way more interested in telling his one story than in being a writer. It was like buying all the parts to a car and starting to build it before learning the basics of auto mechanics. You'll learn a lot along the way, I said, but you'll never have a car that runs.

(I should mention that while I was composing my response, he pulled the ultimate amateur move, and sent me an e-mail saying, "If you haven't read it yet, don't! I have a new draft. Read this!" In other words, "The draft I told you was ready for professional input, wasn't actually.")

I advised him that if all he was interested in was this story, he should find a writer and work with him; or, if he really wanted to be a writer, start at the beginning and take some classes, and start studying seriously.

And you know what? I shouldn't have bothered. Because for all the hair I pulled out, for all the weight and seriousness I gave his request for a real, professional critique, his response was a terse "Thanks for your opinion." And, the inevitable fallout--a week later a mutual friend asked me, "What's this dick move I hear you pulled on Whatsisname?"

So now this guy and his girlfriend think I'm an asshole, and the truth of the matter is, the story really ended the moment he handed me the goddamn synopsis. Because if I'd just said "No" then and there, they'd still think I'm an asshole. Only difference is, I wouldn't have had to spend all that time trying to communicate thoughtfully and honestly with someone who just wanted a pat on the head, and, more importantly, I wouldn't have had to read that godawful piece of shit.

You are not owed a read from a professional, even if you think you have an in, and even if you think it's not a huge imposition. It's not your choice to make. This needs to be clear--when you ask a professional for their take on your material, you're not just asking them to take an hour or two out of their life, you're asking them to give you--gratis--the acquired knowledge, insight, and skill of years of work. It is no different than asking your friend the house painter to paint your living room during his off hours.

There's a great story about Pablo Picasso. Some guy told Picasso he'd pay him to draw a picture on a napkin. Picasso whipped out a pen and banged out a sketch, handed it to the guy, and said, "One million dollars, please."

"A million dollars?" the guy exclaimed. "That only took you thirty seconds!"

"Yes," said Picasso. "But it took me fifty years to learn how to draw that in thirty seconds."

Like the cad who asks the professional for a free read, the guy simply didn't have enough respect for the artist to think about what he was asking for. If you think it's only about the time, then ask one of your non-writer friends to read it. Hell, they might even enjoy your script. They might look upon you with a newfound respect. It could even come to pass that they call up a friend in the movie business and help you sell it, and soon, all your dreams will come true. But me?

I will not read your fucking script.

Josh Olson's screenplay for the film A History of Violence was nominated for the Academy Award, the BAFTA, the WGA award and the Edgar. He is also the writer and director of the horror/comedy cult movie Infested, which Empire Magazine named one of the 20 Best Straight to Video Movies ever made. Recently, he has written with the legendary Harlan Ellison, and worked on Halo with Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp. He adapted Dennis Lehane's story "Until Gwen," which he will also be directing. He is currently adapting One Shot, one of the best-selling Jack Reacher books for Paramount.

©2009 Josh Olson. All rights reserved.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
That was an interesting read...
Sep 11th 2009
yeah, that shit is a no-win, but publishing the episode IS a dick move
Sep 11th 2009
true, but looking at the scenario, I get it
Sep 11th 2009
      no, i spent his, apparently, super-valued time writing that hate
Sep 11th 2009
a few good points here..
Sep 11th 2009
blame Tarantino, the movie store clerk made genius
Sep 11th 2009
So what's my role in all this?
Sep 11th 2009
I enjoyed this because I can relate
Sep 11th 2009
he had a very good point about dude not even wanting to be a writer,
Sep 11th 2009
i despised "History of Violence," but...
Sep 11th 2009
I will not read all of that swipe
Sep 11th 2009
This part sounds like 'Pulp Fiction'
Sep 12th 2009
well played
Sep 12th 2009
Sending that 2nd draft before hearing about the first was a dick move
Sep 12th 2009
RE: I Will Not Read Your Fucking Script. (long swipe)
Sep 12th 2009
http://i26.tinypic.com/v7qjr7.jpg
Sep 12th 2009
so... how did he get HIS start? how the fuck is anyone supposed
Sep 12th 2009
RE: so... how did he get HIS start? how the fuck is anyone supposed
Sep 12th 2009
      you always have to impose on SOMEONE, even to get it that far
Sep 12th 2009

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 06:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "That was an interesting read..."
In response to Reply # 0

...I felt myself agreeing with dude. I can empathize because I don't like tooting my own horn about knowing how to draw. I'm not a professional artist but if I were to tell a number of folks I can draw, I'll still get endless requests to either draw a portrait of them or their kids, tattoos, or people will want to show me their family members'/friends' artwork. People showing me artwork can be annoying because they (who usually aren't artists) will be highly pleased with their friend's/family member's drawing and I might be like "Yeesh, this looks like crap", (to myself of course). I hate being put in that spot. I can definitely feel where dude is coming from.

Batman gettin' hoeslapped

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8ie37mgxIXA/Sjbtwgo9CgI/AAAAAAAAFqM/xJQjVqPd2As/S1600-R/DRUNKEN+ABUSIVE+SUPERMAN.JPG

http://media.fukung.net/images/932/_DgGr2GfTm2.gif

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 06:51 AM

2. "yeah, that shit is a no-win, but publishing the episode IS a dick move"
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

MadDagoNH
Member since Oct 03rd 2002
12463 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 09:28 AM

4. "true, but looking at the scenario, I get it"
In response to Reply # 2

He does this dude a favor and treats this situation honestly and then has other people coming up to him asking why he's being a dick. In that situation, I totally get the, 'wait, you think that was me being a dick? Fuck that, I'll be a real dick' reaction by writing and posting this piece.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Boston University: 2009 National Champions

2008-09 and 2006-07 Zeno Memorial League Champion

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 10:31 AM

5. "no, i spent his, apparently, super-valued time writing that hate"
In response to Reply # 4

he spent more time hating dude than offering constructive criticism, knowing that it would be published. it was just a dick move. i was completely with him until i had fully digested what i'd just read.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Onederlust
Member since Aug 29th 2003
352 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 07:02 AM

3. "a few good points here.."
In response to Reply # 0

My first year out of film school, I remember going to meet with a guy about doing a viral for his company. I spent an hour and a half explaining the concept I'd written and walking him through the production. I mention a few rental costs when he hits me with "you see, there isn't actually a budget, it's just kind of for fun.."

Cool, how about you clean my fucking house. Just for fun.

That said, History of Violence was a mess.

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 11:15 AM

6. "blame Tarantino, the movie store clerk made genius"
In response to Reply # 0

which was the irresistible press junket piece around the time that Pulp Fiction splashed, totally ignoring his other, longer history as a working writer.

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 11:38 AM

7. "So what's my role in all this?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-11-09 11:40 AM by Walleye

I feel bad for the fellow that somebody used one of those tenuous-but-durable connections to force him into a position he didn't want to be in *and* that the piece he was asked to criticize wasn't even good enough to warrant something constructive beyond the (probably useful) idea to find a real writer. But airing the whole thing out to the uninvolved public with the unfair trope of half-anonymity for the antagonist of the story is completely self-serving. God knows I've felt the urge for public confession in the "tell me how bad I'm not" vein, but I've mercifully never had the venue for this sort of ugliness.

The frequent, forced profanity sounds like he's trying to convince himself that this isn't enormously passive-aggressive but rather clear, honest, and forthright. It totally isn't. The correct answer to "I will not read your fucking script" for pretty much everybody who reads this is "I didn't send you a fucking script". At one point, he was the rightfully aggrieved party in some stupid squabble, but he's rather successively achieved an impressive character transformation with this bizarre bit of self-directed dishonesty. Which I guess makes him a real writer.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

brown sugar
Member since Jan 22nd 2005
4536 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 05:11 PM

8. "I enjoyed this because I can relate"
In response to Reply # 0

I actually work part time (I'm a student) doing personal statement critiques/revisions for law and other grad students. It pisses me off when friends or semi-acquaintances will drop an e-mail of their shitty first drafts expecting me to put in the same amount of time I do for clients who pay me.

I do it anyways. Because they are usually nice people and this type of written work is for an objectively better cause (furthering education as opposed to trying to strike it rich in Hollywood). The worst though? The absolute worst? People who solicit and receive my free advice and then send me a second draft to look over. A second draft with 80% of my original corrections NOT USED. I'm like, "really homey? you gonna go ahead and rock that run-on sentence?"

There I had my own mini-vent.

<-- BAUGH SO HARD

DJ007
Member since Apr 06th 2003
5447 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 08:02 PM

9. "he had a very good point about dude not even wanting to be a writer,"
In response to Reply # 0

the definitely should study the craft and do his homework I agree with him on that

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 10:47 PM

10. "i despised "History of Violence," but..."
In response to Reply # 0

that was a great read.

and it's painfully true.

the world is full of untalented people with fragile egos who need a constant stream of re-enforcement and encouragement from everyone around them.

at least in the visual realm, you can usually form a helpful critique in a few minutes. i just have a hard time comprehending the mindset of someone who would assume that *anyone*, let alone a tangential acquaintance, would want to devote an hour or two of their lives to reading their half-baked work.

and i have absolutely zero problems with this dude getting put on blast. he pulled the first dick move - going behind the writer's back and telling other people that he was an asshole for giving him honest feedback. fuck that dude. maybe this will be the reality check he obviously needs.

TheWhiteMedia
Member since Jun 23rd 2005
792 posts
Fri Sep-11-09 11:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "I will not read all of that swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

And I just convinced my buddy to option this post I'm writing for 5 figures. We'll pay the guy who's script this douchebag doesn't want to read 6 figures to write it, and let it sit on a shelf forever just to fuck with this asshole.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sat Sep-12-09 12:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "This part sounds like 'Pulp Fiction'"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Sep-12-09 12:25 AM by Orbit_Established

"What I was handed was, essentially, a barely coherent list of events, some connected, some not so much. Characters wander around aimlessly, do things for no reason, vanish, reappear, get arrested for unnamed crimes, and make wild, life-altering decisions for no reason. Half a paragraph is devoted to describing the smell and texture of a piece of food, but the climactic central event of the film is glossed over in a sentence. The death of the hero is not even mentioned. One sentence describes a scene he's in, the next describes people showing up at his funeral. I could go on, but I won't. This is the sort of thing that would earn you a D minus in any Freshman Comp class."

----------------------------

O_E: Your Super-Ego's Favorite Poster.

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "Cosmic Slop"

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Sat Sep-12-09 08:59 AM

15. "well played"
In response to Reply # 12

TheMindFrame
Member since Jan 17th 2003
4074 posts
Sat Sep-12-09 02:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Sending that 2nd draft before hearing about the first was a dick move"
In response to Reply # 0

THAT part is really abusive IMO. It's not like dude agreed to be his personal writing coach, you can't keep sending everything you write. And you ain't supposed to hand in shit that's not 100% ready on your part

Sua Sponte

Tuam Sequere Naturam

A story: A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a

Shawn Maxam
Member since Jan 28th 2004
809 posts
Sat Sep-12-09 04:17 AM

14. "RE: I Will Not Read Your Fucking Script. (long swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Interesting read

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Sat Sep-12-09 04:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "http://i26.tinypic.com/v7qjr7.jpg"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i26.tinypic.com/v7qjr7.jpg

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Sat Sep-12-09 08:55 PM

17. "so... how did he get HIS start? how the fuck is anyone supposed "
In response to Reply # 0

to make it when nobody will have a look? it's all about networking and who you know, right? well?

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Sat Sep-12-09 10:50 PM

18. "RE: so... how did he get HIS start? how the fuck is anyone supposed "
In response to Reply # 17

>Now, I normally have a standard response to people who ask me to read their scripts, and it's the simple truth: I have two piles next to my bed. One is scripts from good friends, and the other is manuscripts and books and scripts my agents have sent to me that I have to read for work. Every time I pick up a friend's script, I feel guilty that I'm ignoring work. Every time I pick something up from the other pile, I feel guilty that I'm ignoring my friends. If I read yours before any of that, I'd be an awful person.<

---------------------------------------------------------

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Sat Sep-12-09 11:44 PM

19. "you always have to impose on SOMEONE, even to get it that far"
In response to Reply # 18
Sat Sep-12-09 11:46 PM by Cold Truth

this is a bullshit rant plain and simple

granted he has his share of valid points

but his dickhead attitude about it is the issue at hand...

somebody read HIS fucking script, did they not?

i dont give a fuck what other channels there are, or what work he has. or whatever

there is a gracious way about it and then there is this asshole nonsense
and then the whole berating of the guys project is entirely unnecessary

fuck him

i sincerely hope his career goes into a tailspin that cannot be corrected. i he does nothing but shit movies from here on out and yields not one critically or commercially successful film from here on out, and the better if he finds himself out of work right after losing his life savings in a madoff type scam.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #475024 Previous topic | Next topic