Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #467908

Subject: "Top five gripes about True Blood (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Vaiops2wega
Member since Jul 01st 2002
2361 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 06:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Top five gripes about True Blood (swipe)"

They're really on point with the whole accent thing. I was so close to abandoning the show after the first episode because of this.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/08/true_blood_gripes.html

“You do Coach bags, I do kush bags, you a douchebag, I’m the truth fag/share greedy, ya’ll niggas get scared easy, queer like multiple pairs of Air Yeezys” - Sean Price

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
n'vermind, BOOP!
Aug 08th 2009
I don't like that list.
Aug 08th 2009
yeah. none of those are gripes for me at all
Aug 08th 2009
It's not a swipe if you don't swipe. (swipe)
Aug 08th 2009
this is actually a pretty shitty list.
Aug 08th 2009
i tried to get into this show but couldn't
Aug 09th 2009
Have the accents gotten better?
Aug 09th 2009
Vampire Hotel
Aug 09th 2009
This list is shitty
Aug 09th 2009
She's a brand new vampire and she is 16 years old.
Aug 09th 2009
      Yeah I know she is a new vamp, I meant Hoyt may not now her
Aug 10th 2009
      bottom line...is 16 legal in LA?
Aug 10th 2009
How about the bad acting, sookie being so dumb and the subpar...
Aug 09th 2009
I think Lorena is plenty hot... Agree about Maryanne's sfx, though.
Aug 09th 2009
RE: Top five gripes about True Blood (swipe)
Aug 09th 2009
RE: Top five gripes about True Blood (swipe)
Aug 10th 2009
My Gripe about your Gripe
Aug 10th 2009
      RE: My Gripe about your Gripe
Aug 10th 2009
           I am looking forward to Big Foot.
Aug 11th 2009
#5 is
Aug 10th 2009
outside of Lorena, this list nails it imo
Aug 10th 2009
my s.o. has been watching it...
Aug 10th 2009
Top 5 things about True Blood:
Aug 10th 2009
pretty much...
Aug 10th 2009
Yep that is why men don't mind the minor league women
Aug 10th 2009
Psh, there's WAY more to gripe about than that BS. And I'm a fan.
Aug 10th 2009
I really hate vampires now.
Aug 10th 2009
i feel you on this.
Aug 11th 2009

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 06:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "n'vermind, BOOP!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Aug-08-09 06:23 PM by ZooTown74

WaxLablTabler
Charter member
16329 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 08:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I don't like that list."
In response to Reply # 0

be Good.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2n8vg29.png
(by a guy named Wes Whaley http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8779317/Light-paintings-by-Wes-Whaley.html )

amplifya
Member since Sep 05th 2002
6962 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 11:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "yeah. none of those are gripes for me at all"
In response to Reply # 2

i agree maryanne's shakey effect does look kinda ridiculous, but it doesnt bother me.

my only gripe is how annoying sookie can be

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 11:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "It's not a swipe if you don't swipe. (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Our Top Five Gripes About True Blood

* 8/7/09 at 4:00 PM
* Comment 33Comment 33Comments

Our Top Five Gripes About True Blood

Photo: Courtesy of HBO

We will be the first to admit that the glories of HBO's True Blood are many; after we worked our way through the first few bumpy episodes of the show's debut season, we quickly became addicted to the many charms of Alan Ball's soapy dramedy. But even though our allegiance is strong, we can't help but admit that there are a few things about the program that rankle us on a near weekly basis. As fans, we do our best to push these concerns to the side, but after nineteen episodes, we couldn't hold them in any longer.

1. Bill deserves a hotter maker. The women on True Blood are a mixed bag. The majority fall just short of knockout — like the B versions of the A-list. But the most egregious is Mariana Klaveno, who plays Lorena, the vampire who made Bill. Surely in all of Hollywood there was a more seductive actress to play a woman who says, among other things: "People would die to be with me for one night." Where are the female equivalents of Bill and Eric on this show?

20090807_vampirehotel_480x269.jpg
2. The special effects suck. And we don't mean in the vampire sense! Case in point: the supremely cheesy shaky thing Maryann does when she's going into one of her trances. It's like when the crew would simulate turbulence by throwing themselves around the deck of the Starship Enterprise on the original Star Trek. Also, that vampire hotel? We wholeheartedly concur with Gabe's assessment of the situation over at Videogum: "It makes sense that Vampire Bill would want to stay in the Vampire Hotel forever. It is conveniently located at the intersection of Ha-ha Boulevard and Photoshop Street." This is supposed to be premium cable, people, not the SyFy network!

3. The god-awful accents. We are cognizant that part of the appeal of the show comes from its campy nature, but that doesn't excuse the cast from sounding like they're still working their way through their Accents and Dialects for Stage and Screen CDs. In particular, Anna Paquin's vocal performance as Sookie Stackhouse will go down alongside Kathy Bates's (admittedly hilarious) vocal mannerisms in The Waterboy as some of the most contrived and false-sounding Cajun accents of all time.

4. The whole Jessica-Hoyt relationship. We realize she's a vampire, but at the same time she's still just 16 years old, and he's 28. Doesn't matter that he's a virgin — it still gives us the creeps, and not in a cute Harold and Maude kind of way. When we saw them cuddling in bed last week, we couldn't help but wonder if the statutory-rape laws of the state of Louisiana have been amended since vampires were introduced into society. Also, like Bill with Lorena, couldn't Jessica do better than this lunkhead?

5. Bill's chalky-white pallor. So, yes, we get that vampires are deathly pale until they feed. But how come Bill's skin never warms up? Every time we see his face, we can't help but think that he could use a powdered wig to go along with that powdered face, kind of like Tom Hulce in Amadeus. Couldn't someone please introduce him to spray tanner?

---
Love,
Nopayne

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Sat Aug-08-09 11:38 PM

5. "this is actually a pretty shitty list."
In response to Reply # 0

---
Love,
Nopayne

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sun Aug-09-09 01:44 AM

6. "i tried to get into this show but couldn't"
In response to Reply # 0

...i watched a season 1 recap thing wit the creator and it was dope, but i tried to watch the series premiere next and all i could think was "i can't watch this silly ass shit, too much goin on.." and turned it off...i already watch enough silly shows...but i'll be back for the season 2 recap next year....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sun Aug-09-09 03:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Have the accents gotten better? "
In response to Reply # 0

From what I watched, they were fucking awful.

grooverobber
Member since Jun 30th 2005
197 posts
Sun Aug-09-09 11:59 AM

8. "Vampire Hotel"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, that looked pretty bad when I first saw it, but I kinda like the maryann shakey effect. Bill's maker can look a little busted at times, but it's not a real gripe of mine.

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Sun Aug-09-09 02:22 PM

9. "This list is shitty"
In response to Reply # 0

On the Jessica/Hoyt thing, well Jessica is a vampire so it is reasonable to think that she could be older than she appears as vamps live forever.

The only thing on the list that makes any sense is the hotel. That does look a bit broke and fake.

Orfeo_Negro
Member since Oct 24th 2004
20923 posts
Sun Aug-09-09 09:13 PM

11. "She's a brand new vampire and she is 16 years old."
In response to Reply # 9

I don't have a problem with that, though.

"Do you know what a nerd is? A nerd is a human being without enough Africa in him or her." © Brian Eno, "A Year With Swollen Appendices"

calij81
13929 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 12:06 AM

14. "Yeah I know she is a new vamp, I meant Hoyt may not now her"
In response to Reply # 11

true age or know that she is a new vamp who was 16 when she was turned.

Darryl_Licke
Member since Jun 06th 2002
70279 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 11:00 PM

26. "bottom line...is 16 legal in LA?"
In response to Reply # 11

if it is end of story.

but there is nothing wrong with being odd. i mean you arent inkast or adwhizz odd. - VABestBBW
Binlahab is a bitch.
I wouldn't trust okp, some of them don't even get any anymore since the Re's stopped - Anonymous OKP

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Sun Aug-09-09 02:34 PM

10. "How about the bad acting, sookie being so dumb and the subpar..."
In response to Reply # 0

... writing? i give a fuck about effects if the storytelling is on point.

http://twitter.com/Balisong
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer
http://www.last.fm/user/Dawgeatah

Orfeo_Negro
Member since Oct 24th 2004
20923 posts
Sun Aug-09-09 09:14 PM

12. "I think Lorena is plenty hot... Agree about Maryanne's sfx, though."
In response to Reply # 0

"Do you know what a nerd is? A nerd is a human being without enough Africa in him or her." © Brian Eno, "A Year With Swollen Appendices"

Letothetyrant
Member since Aug 06th 2009
37 posts
Sun Aug-09-09 10:48 PM

13. "RE: Top five gripes about True Blood (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

if there is any gripes for me to have I would have to say there is way too much going on in that small a** town. Shapeshifters, mindreaders, vampires, immortals, werewolves(unseen yet but talked about by Sam Merlot and others) Vamps is one thing but all the extra stuff. I hate to sound like Amy poehler and Seth Meyers on Weekend update, but C'Mon REALLY? And thats my gripe. PEACE

Kozmikblak
Member since Sep 10th 2002
1154 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 10:13 AM

17. "RE: Top five gripes about True Blood (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 13

How about Vampires wanting equal rights and status with LIVE humans on whom they feed and it's actually being debated. I didn't get past the 1st two eps.

---------------------------

"The children in the street no longer seek 300 and 6-0 degrees, they park they minds at 1 oh 6 and freeze" -Pos-Freedom Train

"Devil and nigga are the same to me." -Nettrice

"it's wack to me when the beat is more hype than the M.C. cuz what he is saying

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 02:14 PM

23. "My Gripe about your Gripe"
In response to Reply # 13

>if there is any gripes for me to have I would have to say
>there is way too much going on in that small a** town.
>Shapeshifters, mindreaders, vampires, immortals,
>werewolves(unseen yet but talked about by Sam Merlot and
>others) Vamps is one thing but all the extra stuff. I hate to
>sound like Amy poehler and Seth Meyers on Weekend update, but
>C'Mon REALLY? And thats my gripe. PEACE

Wouldn't that be the gripe about every single show that's on television? I think the most basic level of suspension of disbelief is overlooking the idea that something interesting happens to a shows casts every single week.
BTW, how you going to draw the line with Vampires? Like it was believable when it was just vampires but they crossed the line when they added shape shifters?

"Play Your Game" (c) Stan Van Gundy

Letothetyrant
Member since Aug 06th 2009
37 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 06:07 PM

24. "RE: My Gripe about your Gripe"
In response to Reply # 23
Mon Aug-10-09 06:11 PM by Letothetyrant

like they crossed the line wit shapeshifters.(that shits funny u got that one) actually thats not the gripe with every show on television. What I'm saying is that yeah its about some supernatural shit with vampires and all, but that don't mean that the monkey's out bottle and they could just start tossing in the Loch Ness monster big foot and any other creature of the night that comes to mind. It has to be some kinda of limit that's all I'm saying. PEACE

In my father's house are many mansions, if it were not so I would have told u

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Aug-11-09 09:47 AM

27. "I am looking forward to Big Foot."
In response to Reply # 24

Peace.

"Play Your Game" (c) Stan Van Gundy

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 01:15 AM

15. "#5 is"
In response to Reply # 0

Bill no longer likes to feed or drink blood
he no longer likes himself as a vampire
notice when they did the flashbacks he wasn't as pale
then the last when he was ready to leave his makers
he was pale

#4 - she looks old lol so it didn't bother me i guess
but they are right if the actress looked 16 i would have been more bothered

huzzah for #1 though
lol!
there's enough hot women
lets concentrate on hot dudes for once in television history
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 08:01 AM

16. "outside of Lorena, this list nails it imo"
In response to Reply # 0

Maryanne's shake is ridiculously fake looking and corny

Sookie's accent IS annoying

Hoyt and Jessica's relationship still serves no point at all to me

Lorena is kinda hot though and the actress plays the part real well...

ajiav
Member since Feb 02nd 2007
2402 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 10:44 AM

18. "my s.o. has been watching it..."
In response to Reply # 0

...I really don't know if I like it or not. I'm willing to suspend disbelief, since it's a vampire show, but it doesn't seem to me to be much more than an ordinary teen drama, with a vampire element imposed on it. Of course, I've only seen the first season, so willing to change my mind if it takes off somewhere down the line.

-------

http://soundcloud.com/ajiav
http://www.last.fm/user/ajiav

Games without front ears / born without ears

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 10:46 AM

19. "Top 5 things about True Blood:"
In response to Reply # 0

1. TITTIES
2. TITTIES
3. TITTIES
4. TITTIES
5. VAMPIRE TITTIES

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ajiav
Member since Feb 02nd 2007
2402 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 10:49 AM

20. "pretty much..."
In response to Reply # 19

...if you're a young-ish girl signed on for true blood, hope your shirt is easily retractable

-------

http://soundcloud.com/ajiav
http://www.last.fm/user/ajiav

Games without front ears / born without ears

calij81
13929 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 11:33 AM

21. "Yep that is why men don't mind the minor league women "
In response to Reply # 19

they are throwing at us.

ActWon
Member since May 01st 2007
3290 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 11:36 AM

22. "Psh, there's WAY more to gripe about than that BS. And I'm a fan."
In response to Reply # 0

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 06:46 PM

25. "I really hate vampires now. "
In response to Reply # 0

Twilight.
This shit.
They even got vampires on the Disney channel.
Tween Motherglocking Vampires.
Too many suckheads.
What's next a vampire show for toddlers?
Undead Dora? Dampiel Diego?
WTF it's all so banal.

Where the fuck is creativity nowadays?

What these all means... Someone is going to fuckup Vampire Hunter D.
This is getting greenlit soon because Hollywood plays the safest bet.

When does Ponyo come out?
I'm done with vampires this year.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Tue Aug-11-09 09:54 AM

28. "i feel you on this. "
In response to Reply # 25

http://twitter.com/Balisong
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer
http://www.last.fm/user/Dawgeatah

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #467908 Previous topic | Next topic