Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #436930

Subject: "So Ive started watching Weeds and The Wire..." Previous topic | Next topic
phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So Ive started watching Weeds and The Wire..."

I'm 5 episodes into The Wire, and almost done with Season 2 of Weeds.

My friends and OKPs have sworn up and down about The Wire for so long, and its been on my radar, that I finally cracked and rented the first couple discs of the first season.

As for Weeds, its a show and premise that has interested me since I first heard about it, and finally got around to checking it out as well.

I like Weeds more, and it has hooked me like a classic television show. I want to know what the family business is going to get into next, and the final scene of Season 1 was a perfect way to end it and set up the next Season. I care about each and ever character on the show, and each is cleverly written. Sure the premise is silly and a little bit unrealistic, but damn, its engaging and comical.

The Wire left me with a different feeling. While I enjoy the show, and will continue to watch, I didn't quite understand why it was so critically acclaimed and popular with so many people. It took me until episode 4 in fact before I wished to watch the entire season, and the last episode I watched pinpointed my biggest issue with the show: it's forced. You know the scene where McNulty and his partner are searching for further clues and bullet information for that dead girl in her kitchen? They say the word fuck about 50 times, and that's just in that one scene. I'm all one for defending the use of the word, b/c its used in real life more than movies and television portray. However with this one scene, I finally understood why this show wasn't sticking like I thought or hoped it would. The characters are cliche and the scripting is very weak (that story of McNulty's boss explaining his dream was just awful).

The characters are not all bad though. McNulty and the lesbian are good lead characters, the workshop cop is slick as hell, and the dude from Fringe and drug dealer D are probably my 2 favorite characters, and there is more there than meets the eye. Plus, I'm only 5 episodes in, and is that really enough to make a full judgment? Only time will tell.

Let's discuss.

*gets up from ducking*

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My girlfriend and I just started Weeds and we finished Season 2
Feb 26th 2009
Weeds gets worse and The Wire gets better
Feb 26th 2009
co-sign
Feb 26th 2009
Cosign...
Feb 26th 2009
Yeah this post is not gonna go well for you
Feb 26th 2009
Yeah. I'm just gonna stop right here:
Feb 26th 2009
Keep Watching the wire
Feb 26th 2009
Weeds is some bullshit...
Feb 26th 2009
RE: So Ive started watching Weeds and The Wire...
Feb 26th 2009
Weeds quickly got ridiculous...
Feb 26th 2009
i got through with three and didn't feel the need to continue
Feb 27th 2009
u'll change your mind on the wire...
Feb 26th 2009
Bunk is awesome in that scene
Feb 27th 2009
Weeds starts off good... but each season gets progressively worse
Feb 27th 2009
if you dont love the wire
Feb 27th 2009
I'm in the same spot
Mar 03rd 2009
give it time.... wire/shield....
Mar 06th 2009
      just started on the shield and...
Mar 06th 2009
after watchin 5 eps of the wire, u think 2 have figured out the show...
Mar 03rd 2009
Its just an early opinion...
Mar 06th 2009
stupid post
Mar 06th 2009
You're going to have to defend this further:
Mar 06th 2009
curious...have u watched any more of the wire?
Mar 06th 2009
that scene was brilliant...
Mar 06th 2009

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 09:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My girlfriend and I just started Weeds and we finished Season 2"
In response to Reply # 0

last week also. We're going to start season 3 this weekend.

As for the Wire....I can't believe you don't like what is probably the most memorable scene in the entire series! Wow. I don't know what to say.

I'll stand by and let everyone else take shots at you. LOL!

XBOX Live Gamertag: slballer

Last 5 movies I saw:

Eagle Eye: D-
Traitor: B+
Forgetting Sarah Marshall: B-
Burn After Reading: C+
Slumdog Millionaire: B+

EmDub
Member since Oct 14th 2003
6620 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 09:56 AM

2. "Weeds gets worse and The Wire gets better"
In response to Reply # 0

Took my wife almost a full season to get into the Wire but after that she was hooked.

----------
I Love That Dirty Water...Boston Your My Home

Dirty
Charter member
877 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 10:08 AM

4. "co-sign"
In response to Reply # 2

I was going to write some shit, but you said exactly what I was going to say. The Wire just get better (except for season 5, of course...)

PRYM8
Charter member
1446 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 11:52 PM

11. "Cosign..."
In response to Reply # 2

... I was going to post that exact sentiment!

<<<<<<<My first born!!! Fresh of my flesh!!!

- I got me a XBOX 360 bootch!!!! Add me! - DJPRYM8
http://live.xbox.com/member/DJPRYM8
http://welcometothehabitat.tumblr.com/

THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 10:05 AM

3. "Yeah this post is not gonna go well for you"
In response to Reply # 0

I love that scene you were talking about. I know we all have different opinions about shows and I can respect that, but I always get a little bothered when someone says they don't like the wire.

I have also seen the first two seasons of weeds, I like what I have watched, ill get around to S3 eventually.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 11:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Yeah. I'm just gonna stop right here:"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-26-09 12:05 PM by bignick

>I'm 5 episodes into The Wire, and almost done with Season 2
>of Weeds.
>
>My friends and OKPs have sworn up and down about The Wire for
>so long, and its been on my radar, that I finally cracked and
>rented the first couple discs of the first season.
>
>As for Weeds, its a show and premise that has interested me
>since I first heard about it, and finally got around to
>checking it out as well.
>
>I like Weeds more, and it has hooked me like a classic
>television show.

EDouble
Member since Aug 22nd 2006
1175 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 02:35 PM

6. "Keep Watching the wire"
In response to Reply # 0

& continue to update us on you honest opinion.
I like to see peoples reaction when the "Light goes on" and the wire becomes your favorite show of all time. (or if it doesn't)
I really think it happens for each person at a different time, however I was hooked from Snot Boogey but that's just me.

I have only seen the 1st ep. of weeds, I'm thinking about picking up the 1st. season soon.

...and if you listen hard enough I say some things - Jeezy

DjarchieOne
Charter member
3705 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 03:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Weeds is some bullshit..."
In response to Reply # 0

If any of those characters were on the Wire, they would all be dead within 2 episodes

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 03:28 PM

8. "RE: So Ive started watching Weeds and The Wire..."
In response to Reply # 0

Im a fan of Weeds, admit the last season wasn't quite up to par but still had its moments. won't give you spoilers

Wire never peaked my interest yet, may check it out sometime due to the buzz on here tho and there only being 60 episodes so shouldn't be too hard to get thru them.

scorpion
Charter member
29592 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 06:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Weeds quickly got ridiculous..."
In response to Reply # 0

So I don't fuck with it anymore...as much as I down with nudity....having the mom chracter naked and gettin nailed all the time doesnt sit well with me...it betrays the original tone of the show...the family is dealing with a painful death and its ramifications...but the producers said "fuck all that" and turned into some female fantasy bullshit...

The Wire takes a minute to grab you, but once yr in...yr IN...

The filmmakers and the actors find their groove in the middle of the first season...

tin can surveillance
Member since Feb 27th 2009
29 posts
Fri Feb-27-09 11:47 AM

15. "i got through with three and didn't feel the need to continue"
In response to Reply # 9

i saw the writing on the wall when the fire hit.

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 07:52 PM

10. "u'll change your mind on the wire..."
In response to Reply # 0

i said the same thing. it starts slow but then the pieces all start connecting and you'll want to rewatch it. i've seen season 1 3 times now.

i've lent season 1 to a few folks and they gave it back after 2 eps so you're not alone.

Russel Simmons Day Job
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2019 posts
Fri Feb-27-09 01:29 AM

12. "Bunk is awesome in that scene"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-27-09 01:36 AM by Russel Simmons Day J

the ol' landlord chillin in the cut being extra nosey had me rolling..even though they just used the word fuck in that scene it was very will acted out

yo the best of season 1 of the Wire is yet to come. don't sleep

Weeds is diffently more easily to absorb then the Wire since its 30 minute episodes instead of a hour. I watched seasons I & II of Weeds last year for the first time and its a fantastic show. the last season was a lil all over the place but was funny too(no spoilers lol)..the first half of season III of weeds was good but after certain key villans departed it kinda went down him to me..

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Fri Feb-27-09 01:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Weeds starts off good... but each season gets progressively worse"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-27-09 02:02 AM by HighVoltage

and i find it very hard to believe you arent enjoying the wire. its landmark television.

its not a show that you get hooked on after 1 episode, and i think you went in thinking that.

a season requires about 5-6 episodes before you get "hooked"... but once you reach that point, its history.

also, most of the characters are based on real life baltimore police that david and ed knew, and i seem to recall the "fuck" scene did actually happen... and that scene is fantastic. not only is it funny, but it tells the story of what happened with just one word.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Fri Feb-27-09 11:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "if you dont love the wire"
In response to Reply # 0

there is something wrong with you and you should seek serious help. you may have an extra chromosome.

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Tue Mar-03-09 10:19 AM

16. "I'm in the same spot"
In response to Reply # 0

2 seasons in with Weeds and about 6 ep's deep right now with The Wire... I gotta say after the first 2 ep's of The Wire I started to ask myself how this is really considered a goat nominee... Still, through a full 6 I have found myself getting hooked...

I still like the Shield better so far though, I plan on finishing season 1 this week...

Also, Weeds is dope so far through 2 seasons

http://sayitwitme.blogspot.com/
www.myspace.com/spathegod

KnowOne
Charter member
39943 posts
Fri Mar-06-09 01:34 PM

18. "give it time.... wire/shield...."
In response to Reply # 16

I was similar to you... I was late to the wire but already a fan of and many seasons deep into the Shield. Through most of season 1 I felt the Shield was better.... by the end of season 1 they were tied. By the time I peeped seasons 3 & 4 it was a WRAP! Wire had took the title.

Though i do think the Shield had a stronger final Season/Episode.

But over all its close...but the Wire is better.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Fri Mar-06-09 04:37 PM

23. "just started on the shield and..."
In response to Reply # 18

i'm on season two, and even though i'm enjoying it, i don't even see it in the same universe as the wire. in fact there have been times i wanted to turn it off and watch some wire eps instead.

that's not even a shot at the shield, i just about how much more detailed, and deeper the wire went. Mackey's a GREAT character, and the stories are decent. the hardest adjustment for me is the street side of things. I just got through watching layered criminals who were written with so much care, and now i'm going back to watching cardboard cutouts. yeah, i know it's an unfair comparison due to perspective but it doesn't make the transition any easier.

i will say they're slowly improving on that end though

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Tue Mar-03-09 11:24 AM

17. "after watchin 5 eps of the wire, u think 2 have figured out the show..."
In response to Reply # 0

better than the rest of us who watched all 5 seasons at least twice?

ya, okay

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Fri Mar-06-09 03:40 PM

20. "Its just an early opinion..."
In response to Reply # 17

Sheeit...

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Fri Mar-06-09 04:13 PM

21. "stupid post"
In response to Reply # 17

--------

sfMatt
Member since Jun 20th 2002
10383 posts
Fri Mar-06-09 03:28 PM

19. "You're going to have to defend this further:"
In response to Reply # 0

> The characters are cliche and the scripting is
>very weak

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Fri Mar-06-09 04:31 PM

22. "curious...have u watched any more of the wire?"
In response to Reply # 0

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Fri Mar-06-09 05:05 PM

24. "that scene was brilliant..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-06-09 05:05 PM by The Analyst

And just so you know, just about EEVVERRRYYBOODDYY i've ever talked to doesn't get into the wire until about 4 or 5 eps deep in season 1. You gotta let that shit marinate.

As for Weeds, I watched the first episode and thought it was the corniest shit I'd ever seen.

----

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #436930 Previous topic | Next topic