Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #434300

Subject: "Late Pass - The Wire, Season 5." Previous topic | Next topic
BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Feb-15-09 06:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Late Pass - The Wire, Season 5."

Oh no.

I kind of felt like they only kept certain characters around because they were fan favorites. And when they just couldn't justify keeping them around anymore, they gave them death scenes with the least glory. In fact the deaths have so little glory that each time part of me was like "Naw he can't be dead..." even though whoever it was just got shot in the head.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

I was hoping that Omar's gay Latino lover would show up all of a sudden to get revenge on Marlow. Or that they would bring back Avon for the last ep. Or something would happen to Chris. In terms of a 'show' that would have all been cool or at least made for a proper ending. But for the reality that the show was trying to bring, I guess not.

Honestly the best part to me was Michael becoming the next Omar.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I thought that was one of the worst parts
Feb 15th 2009
after watching all the seasons through again
Feb 15th 2009
season 5 is the worst
Feb 15th 2009
they fucked up by bringing back Omar in S5
Feb 15th 2009
I read somewhere that they wanted to kill him off in season 1
Feb 17th 2009
the fact they made the deaths lack so much "glory" was DOPE
Feb 15th 2009
from a story-telling standpoint, I'm not sure what Omar's return added
Feb 15th 2009
      well yeah
Feb 15th 2009
      unlike other storylines, it seemed less thought out
Feb 16th 2009
           Bodie
Feb 16th 2009
                I thought Bodie served a geniune purpose in S4
Feb 16th 2009
      in what way could omar's story end that WOULDN'T be considered cliche?
Feb 16th 2009
           tons of ways.
Feb 16th 2009
                you named more cliches....
Feb 16th 2009
                     lol, simply getting killed is not a cliche.
Feb 16th 2009
                          c'mon doggie, we all knew he was gonna die, you pissy bout the "how"
Feb 16th 2009
                               I love how a point of contention becomes some personal problem
Feb 16th 2009
                                    what personal problem??
Feb 17th 2009
                                         nah, you got it backwards.
Feb 17th 2009
I liked it.
Feb 16th 2009
4, 2, 1, 3, 5
Feb 16th 2009
4, 1, 3, 5, 2
Feb 16th 2009
      7, 9, 1, 5, 8
Feb 16th 2009
2, 3, 4, 1, 5
Feb 16th 2009
9, 0, 2, 1, 0
Feb 16th 2009
4, 3, 2, 1, 5
Feb 16th 2009
4, 9, 3, 11
Feb 16th 2009
4, 3, 1, 2, 5
Feb 16th 2009
8, 6, 7, 5, 3, 0, 9
Feb 16th 2009
seriously...it wasn't funny the first three times
Feb 16th 2009
      semit eerht tsrif eht ynnuf t'nsaw ti...ylsuoires
Feb 17th 2009
cosign.
Feb 17th 2009
Feb 17th 2009
4, 3, 2, 1, 5
Feb 17th 2009
Really the only problems I had with Season 5
Feb 17th 2009
It was a bit far-fetched, although not necesarrily impossible to believe
Feb 17th 2009
I don't think too many cops would go that extra mile,
Feb 17th 2009
that whole subplot made me dislike McNulty, actually...
Feb 17th 2009
looking back on it, they really botched it
Feb 17th 2009
it's not like they would've let McNulty head up a terrorism case
Feb 17th 2009
      yep. and it would've been MUCH harder to fake.
Feb 18th 2009
i dunno. the whole premise of season 5 was
Feb 17th 2009
I liked that part
Feb 17th 2009
      I think the underlying them was "Bureaucracy sucks"...
Feb 18th 2009
Wait - niggas missed the point, I guess.
Mar 03rd 2009
and to add insult, they were telling Omar stories when he got there
Mar 03rd 2009

Mageddon
Charter member
4018 posts
Sun Feb-15-09 07:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I thought that was one of the worst parts"
In response to Reply # 0

>
>Honestly the best part to me was Michael becoming the next
>Omar.

sl_onIce
Member since Jul 22nd 2005
553 posts
Sun Feb-15-09 09:36 PM

2. "after watching all the seasons through again"
In response to Reply # 0

I've decided I really don't like season 5 (relative to the others).

That said, the 9th ep is up there for the best Wire episode overall.

I think it really suffered being only 10 eps long, and there were too many strands to tie up by the end of it (I mean, opening up a whole new institution to focus on? too much)

http://amatorsa.wordpress.com/

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Sun Feb-15-09 10:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "season 5 is the worst"
In response to Reply # 2

but still good

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sun Feb-15-09 10:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "they fucked up by bringing back Omar in S5"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-15-09 10:45 PM by will_5198

I was down with him getting murked in prison during S4 or fading into Bolivian

--------

guru0509
Charter member
45356 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 08:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "I read somewhere that they wanted to kill him off in season 1"
In response to Reply # 4

but he became such a fan favorite that they kept him on ...

I agree though...he should have gotten got at the end of season 4...

the whole coming back to get vengeance for Butchie was contrived...not to mention cheesy

------------------
J Dilla - Ruff Draft
Mausberg - Non Fiction

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sun Feb-15-09 11:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "the fact they made the deaths lack so much "glory" was DOPE"
In response to Reply # 0

...it was pretty realistic...

the problem wit s5 was it was the final season, and that meant the "wrap it up b" music never stopped playin and there was already SO much going on previously, to intro new characters made for overkill in some places...i liked parts of the journalism angle, but it would have been better in smaller dises cause in the end, nobody really gave fuck about that story in the midst of so much more interesting stuff...

...i had no trouble wit how folks ended up, and folks complainin bout O comin back are forgettin that Marlo was a dude that never let a grudge go...he had to get at duke somehow and after killin butchie we all know O wasn't lettin shit go either...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sun Feb-15-09 11:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "from a story-telling standpoint, I'm not sure what Omar's return added"
In response to Reply # 5

to S5 other than him re-hashing everything he did in S1-S4. And the whole "legend slayed by the smallest child" ending for him was WAY too cliched.

--------

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Feb-15-09 11:54 PM

7. "well yeah"
In response to Reply # 6

I know why they did it.

First Omar was a favorite. They had to bring him back.

Second cause they wanted to get across the idea that no one gets away. Just like Marlo couldn't get it out of his mindset, Omar had it all but he just couldn't break free of that life.

Having said that, I don't think it really worked. As with Bodie, it just made me think that something big was going to happen with the characters. But...nope, they just die.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 12:08 AM

8. "unlike other storylines, it seemed less thought out"
In response to Reply # 7

>Second cause they wanted to get across the idea that no one
>gets away. Just like Marlo couldn't get it out of his mindset,
>Omar had it all but he just couldn't break free of that life.

and the jail-time or right thereafter would have been a perfect opportunity to make that point. but they sent him off to the islands (which was probably going to be the way he "retired", because there would be no reason to have done that if they were going to bring him back in S5 from the start).

S5 was the only time I really felt they had tacked on the Omar stuff and were really searching for a way to make things work.

>Having said that, I don't think it really worked. As with
>Bodie, it just made me think that something big was going to
>happen with the characters. But...nope, they just die.

Actually, I disagree with this point. Bodie's death was pretty perfect, and while I thought the symbolism behind Omar's killing was hokey, him getting gunned down anonymously in the street makes sense.

--------

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 06:17 PM

16. "Bodie"
In response to Reply # 8

Him getting gunned down after trying in vain to 'keep his corner' was fitting...I guess I just thought that he was around for one season too long.

They keep him around for most of the season, mostly just for that one ep.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 07:23 PM

21. "I thought Bodie served a geniune purpose in S4"
In response to Reply # 16

he showed what Michael can expect to become down the line, being as Bodie was around that same age in S1. Bodie did right by the street ("never came up short on a count, never snitched...") and still ended up being swallowed by the drug game.

plus, while Avon/Stringer/Wee-Bey showed what happened to the top of drug empires when they fall, Bodie and Poot were more everyman examples of the guys left behind.

--------

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 04:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "in what way could omar's story end that WOULDN'T be considered cliche?"
In response to Reply # 6

..seriously?

..bringing omar back like that made perfect sense to me, cause while he wasn't needed, we all knew Marlo wasn't gonna let the antics in S4 go...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 07:17 PM

20. "tons of ways."
In response to Reply # 12

him getting killed in jail or out on the streets wouldn't be a storytelling "cliche" -- but the way they had a boy kill him has been done countless times before (City of God, for example)

and I still don't buy that the plan was always for Omar to come back after S4. sending him to Costa Rica or whatever was pointless in that case. Marlo's retribution seemed more like an *excuse* to write Omar back into S5 rather than a necessity.

--------

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 10:56 PM

24. "you named more cliches...."
In response to Reply # 20

...and he did get kilt in the streets, just not the way you wanted...just cause you seen it happen in a movie or two doesn't make it less realistic...he got caught slippin...or does it upset you more that it went down so simply?

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 11:01 PM

25. "lol, simply getting killed is not a cliche."
In response to Reply # 24
Mon Feb-16-09 11:03 PM by will_5198

Omar was a fantasy character, so they tried to paint some sort of poignancy to his death by making it irregular -- ie the most dangerous man in Baltimore, the one who stole from drug lords in broad daylight for a decade, being finally gunned down by none other than a child.

that whole "mythical legend beaten by the unlikeliest of foes" is a STANDARD cliche in story-telling. seriously, David Simon pulled that one straight from Lord of the Rings.

--------

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 11:08 PM

26. "c'mon doggie, we all knew he was gonna die, you pissy bout the "how""
In response to Reply # 25

all i'm sayin is no matter the "how", someone could pop up and say "that was cliche", so you should prolly let that sore point go....but, agree to disagree...

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 11:31 PM

27. "I love how a point of contention becomes some personal problem"
In response to Reply # 26
Mon Feb-16-09 11:31 PM by will_5198

anyway

The Wire is great because it was operating on a much higher level than centuries-old fairy tales. unfortunately, Omar's ending was a third-and-goal interception by Joe Montana in the playoffs.

--------

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 12:03 AM

28. "what personal problem??"
In response to Reply # 27

if you disagree with something, you in action are in fact speaking a point of contention...which is an individual or personal, thing...but it's late, and you seem like you wanna argue...sooo...you right.(congrats)

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 01:09 AM

29. "nah, you got it backwards."
In response to Reply # 28

I was hoping to get some more elaboration on what Omar's purpose in S5 was...but instead I got mostly invented affects and pointless sarcasm.

that's the problem with speaking negative on any part of The Wire tho. understood.

--------

xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 12:16 AM

9. "I liked it."
In response to Reply # 0

But in order of Seasons:

From Great to Good.

I had no problem of how they wrapped and intertwined the stories and characters. I guess because I wasn't getting high expectations. I just wanted a good entertaining finale, which I got. The last 10 minutes when started playing the theme song and showing how each character is doing give it justice. I love how the kids were actually a retelling of the past from Omar to Bubbles, which is why Michael is the next Omar and Dukie is the next Bubbles, it's a never ending circle of lost hope. I wasn't disappointed at all.

we pray for dollars and we work for change © Slug of Atmosphere

Quit trying to be somebody’s boss and be a leader © Brother Ali

http://tinyurl.com/watchmenfreescreening

sl_onIce
Member since Jul 22nd 2005
553 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 03:22 AM

10. "4, 2, 1, 3, 5"
In response to Reply # 9

but those middle three could easily change places for me

http://amatorsa.wordpress.com/

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 04:34 PM

11. "4, 1, 3, 5, 2"
In response to Reply # 10

That is how it is

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 05:08 PM

13. "7, 9, 1, 5, 8"
In response to Reply # 11

<--- AVY!!! PHILLY!!! COME!!!

music - http://myspace.com/shamelessplug
boredom - http://twitter.com/shamelessplug
ridiculously stupid talk radio podcast - http://youlooklikecraptoday.tumblr.com

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 05:21 PM

14. " 2, 3, 4, 1, 5"
In response to Reply # 9

this more how i figure it, and the ONLY reason 2 beats 3 for me is cause 2 is the season i started with

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 06:40 PM

18. "9, 0, 2, 1, 0"
In response to Reply # 14

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 05:31 PM

15. "4, 3, 2, 1, 5"
In response to Reply # 9

4 and 3 are interchangeable

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 06:40 PM

17. "4, 9, 3, 11"
In response to Reply # 15

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 06:41 PM

19. "4, 3, 1, 2, 5"
In response to Reply # 9

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 10:06 PM

22. "8, 6, 7, 5, 3, 0, 9"
In response to Reply # 19

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Feb-16-09 10:55 PM

23. "seriously...it wasn't funny the first three times"
In response to Reply # 22

now it's annoying

--------

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 09:20 PM

42. "semit eerht tsrif eht ynnuf t'nsaw ti...ylsuoires"
In response to Reply # 23

gniyonna s'ti won

CliffDogg
Member since Dec 19th 2004
18078 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 02:10 AM

30. "cosign."
In response to Reply # 19

----

THFC
F1
MotoGP

MadDagoNH
Member since Oct 03rd 2002
12463 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 01:58 PM

33. "4,2,3,1,5"
In response to Reply # 9

3 and 1 are both kinda interchangable as far as rankings go and very close to 2. 4 Is solidly in the top spot. 5, while better than 99% of any other TV I'll ever watch, is clearly the weakest link.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hobey Wilson

2006-07 Zeno Memorial League Champion

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 02:25 PM

35. "4, 3, 2, 1, 5"
In response to Reply # 9

Although S2 gives me new appreciation every time I watch it. If I watch it again I might put it over S3. I have the feeling that I'll gain more respect for 5 as time goes on.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 02:32 AM

31. "Really the only problems I had with Season 5"
In response to Reply # 0

Was all the fake serial killer stuff

That whole scenario was kind of farfetched... And had one too many convenient coincidences to have the plot fall into place. It wasn't bad per se, it just felt like the kind of thing that might happen on some other tv show. Not The Wire.

-----------------------------
http://talestosuffice.com/
@kennykeil

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 02:23 PM

34. "It was a bit far-fetched, although not necesarrily impossible to believe"
In response to Reply # 31

Simon pointed out that we had a president take a country to war based on evidence that wasn't any more solid than McNulty's killer.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 02:34 PM

37. "I don't think too many cops would go that extra mile,"
In response to Reply # 34

in *hopes* that it'd get them more funding.

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 02:33 PM

36. "that whole subplot made me dislike McNulty, actually..."
Tue Feb-17-09 02:33 PM by disco dj

even through all the other despicable shit he'd done throughout the series, I liked him.

But when he kidnapped the homeless guy and took him down to DC, it made me realize what an asshole he was.

He made it right at the end, but I never felt the same about him...

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 03:32 PM

38. "looking back on it, they really botched it"

If they wanted a crime to "capture the city", they shoulda went the terrorist route. Much more believable than the red ribbon killer.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 04:11 PM

39. "it's not like they would've let McNulty head up a terrorism case"
In response to Reply # 38

it would've just caused federal intervention.

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Wed Feb-18-09 10:56 AM

43. "yep. and it would've been MUCH harder to fake."
In response to Reply # 39

it's not like he could go around planting bombs and whatnot..

pdafunk
Charter member
5445 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 04:17 PM

40. "i dunno. the whole premise of season 5 was"
Tue Feb-17-09 04:18 PM by pdafunk

the bigger the lie, the more they'll believe. whether it was the kids with the copier/lie-detector, mcnulty with his serial killer, templeton with his fake news, omar coming back and being super-omar, season 5 was all about embellishment. i think it was purposefully over the top in a lot of ways, which i think is what some people had a problem with, because the previous 4 seasons were all so "real".

but you look at the iraq war, that lady who drowned her kids and said a black car-jacker stole her car, the jayson blairs, all the fucking wall street investment banks trading on bullshit mortgage-backed-securities and the ponzi schemes and investment banker suicides and the guy who ditched his airplane in the swamp and had a motorcycle stashed, etc, etc. it doesn't take much for a lie to gain a life of it's own, and even when it's so big as to be unbelievable, you STILL have so few people willing to question its veracity. whoa. tuesday afternoon rant over.

------
"I can't promise I'll try. But I'll try to try."

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Feb-17-09 04:57 PM

41. "I liked that part"

The only things I didn't really like about season 5 was:

-What they did with Omar
-How they dove into the journalism subplot all of a sudden at the end of the show, and expect you to care

The serial killer thing just showed how desperate the 'good guys' were becoming, a total 180 from the hope for change that season 4 showed.

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Wed Feb-18-09 10:59 AM

44. "I think the underlying them was "Bureaucracy sucks"..."
In response to Reply # 41

the whole Red Ribbon Killer shit started because the dept was underfunded.

the shit Templeton did was allowed to fester because it was selling newspapers.

Bottom line, all the foul shit that went on behind the scenes went down because a lot of money was tied into it.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Tue Mar-03-09 12:52 PM

45. "Wait - niggas missed the point, I guess."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-03-09 01:16 PM by Orbit_Established

>I kind of felt like they only kept certain characters around
>because they were fan favorites. And when they just couldn't
>justify keeping them around anymore, they gave them death
>scenes with the least glory.

Uh. That actually made it much hotter, because that death
actually ADDED to his mystique -- no one in any drug camp could
ever lay claim to killing Omar, hence all the street tales about
him being surrounded by AK-47s. No one got the satisfaction of
killing him, which is why Chris wasn't even happy when Omar
was killed. Not to mention Omar destroyed Marlow's street cred
to the point where people on his old corners don't even know
who he is after he got out(at the end of episode 10).

>In fact the deaths have so little
>glory that each time part of me was like "Naw he can't be
>dead..." even though whoever it was just got shot in the
>head.

Who else are you referring to?

>I was hoping that Omar's gay Latino lover would show up all of
>a sudden to get revenge on Marlow.

Why? The Latino nigga is chillin back home. He don't know
happened to Omar or why. He wasn't even into murkin cats like
Omar was. Lots of people get killed. Not everyone seeks revenge
like Omar does.

> Or that they would bring
>back Avon for the last ep.

Avon doing serious time. And he's already gotten out once.

>Or something would happen to Chris.

Something other than taking the 22 bodies off of the books
on Carcetti's watch and propelling him to the statehouse?

Not to mention Chris's doing time freed Marlow.

>In terms of a 'show' that would have all been cool or at least
>made for a proper ending. But for the reality that the show
>was trying to bring, I guess not.

The way it ended was perfectly appropriate.

>Honestly the best part to me was Michael becoming the next
>Omar.

It wasn't just that:

Michael is the next Omar

Dukie is the next Bubbles(dealt a bad hand, headed
for a hard life despite being a smart, good guy).

Carver is the next Daniels(Carver ends a Lieutenant, same
way as Daniels was, and Daniels is the one who gives him
the promotion at his last function as commissioner. Also,
Carver is principled and has integrity because he was raised
by Colvin. Daniels, of course, has integrity to a fault, just
like Colvin)

----------------------------

O_E: Your Super-Ego's Favorite Poster.

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "Cosmic Slop"

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Tue Mar-03-09 04:03 PM

46. "and to add insult, they were telling Omar stories when he got there"
In response to Reply # 45

>to the point where people on his old corners don't even know
>who he is after he got out(at the end of episode 10).

not sure that was his corner. seemed like he just went at the first corner he saw just to do it... then again i guess every corner was marlo's at a point.

>Dukie is the next Bubbles(dealt a bad hand, headed
>for a hard life despite being a smart, good guy).
>
>Carver is the next Daniels(Carver ends a Lieutenant, same
>way as Daniels was, and Daniels is the one who gives him
>the promotion at his last function as commissioner. Also,
>Carver is principled and has integrity because he was raised
>by Colvin. Daniels, of course, has integrity to a fault, just
>like Colvin)

also, Sydnor is the next McNulty.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #434300 Previous topic | Next topic