Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #431213

Subject: "Official Gomorra post" Previous topic | Next topic
Vaiops2wega
Member since Jul 01st 2002
2361 posts
Fri Jan-30-09 08:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Official Gomorra post"

Fuck The Godfather. Fuck Goodfellas. Fuck The Sopranos. This is the best mafia story ever committed to celuloid, and believe me, I don't take these words lightly. Well, okay, maybe it's not better than Goodfellas. Gomorra has been hailed by many as the Italian City Of God, and that is a great understatement. It follows five different stories about people involved in the mafia from the old bosses to young cats sucked into the the life. Great direction and excellent cinematography, and unlike its American counterparts it touches on the U.S. complicity in the mob's activities (The Allied Forces basically created the five families after WWII as a way to keep order). Most people are completely unaware, but the violence in Naples right now is at its worst and I think the film definately differentiates between the mafia of the past and the present. Spoiler alert: the present is much worse. They also have their fingers in everything. EVERYTHING. The scene that stuck with me the most is when two boys just getting into the life "borrow" some guns from the mob and go shoot them in a river in their underwear.

“You do Coach bags, I do kush bags, you a douchebag, I’m the truth fag/share greedy, ya’ll niggas get scared easy, queer like multiple pairs of Air Yeezys” - Sean Price

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I read this as, "Official Gonnerhea Post"
Jan 30th 2009
RE: I read this as, "Official Gonnerhea Post"
Jan 30th 2009
RE: Official Gomorra post
Feb 03rd 2009
Exactly
Mar 23rd 2009
Feb 14th 2009
Yeah, this film shitted on a few gangster flicks
Feb 28th 2009
Did people think the Mafia were nice people?
Mar 01st 2009
most mafia movies portray them as charming and/or charismatic
Mar 24th 2009
It just doesn't show those moments
Mar 24th 2009
      because they don't exist in real life
Mar 24th 2009
           Perspective
Mar 24th 2009
                RE: Perspective
Mar 25th 2009
RE: completely derivative
May 04th 2009
Yeah, I wanted to check this out.
Mar 01st 2009
it's on On Demand if you have that
Mar 25th 2009
Mar 24th 2009
May 04th 2009
I somewhat agree with SoulHonky's assessment but I still liked it
Mar 28th 2009
when is this coming out on dvd
Mar 28th 2009
If you're in L.A. and have cable, I know it's available On Demand
Mar 28th 2009
      i'm in the valley and do have cable
Apr 03rd 2009
just finished watchin it.... i enjoyed it
Apr 03rd 2009
I was going in hoping that I would come out of it liking it
May 04th 2009
Criterion DVD in November
Aug 17th 2009
Anyone seen it since the DVD release?
Dec 08th 2009
It's a "solid" effort...
Dec 08th 2009

ChuloMike
Member since Jan 09th 2009
850 posts
Fri Jan-30-09 08:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I read this as, "Official Gonnerhea Post""
In response to Reply # 0

LOL

www.myspace.com/exciteme83
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAXiSVKPa5o

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Fri Jan-30-09 09:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: I read this as, "Official Gonnerhea Post""
In response to Reply # 1

you would

“You do Coach bags, I do kush bags, you a douchebag, I’m the truth fag/share greedy, ya’ll niggas get scared easy, queer like multiple pairs of Air Yeezys” - Sean Price

Sean Coonery
Member since Jan 30th 2009
21 posts
Tue Feb-03-09 03:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Official Gomorra post"
In response to Reply # 0

I really liked it. There's no reason why it shouldn't have gotten an Oscar nomination for best foreign film. It just proves that the academy is a bunch of pussies

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Mon Mar-23-09 11:33 PM

8. "Exactly"
In response to Reply # 3

I mean the fact that Werner Herzog JUST got his first oscar nomination this year and lost to the slightly better than medicore film Man on Wire is disgusting. Oldboy wasn't nominated, either was JCVD.

riyadh
Member since Oct 06th 2007
285 posts
Sat Feb-14-09 12:41 AM

4. "RE: Official Gomorra post"
In response to Reply # 0

Damn I thought this post woulda gotten mad replies. I just saw this last night and it's easily the best movie of 2008. I've never jumped out of my seat during horror movies, let alone mafia movies, but this movie got me when dude pulled up next to the car on the bike and sprayed them with the uzi. I really like the cinematography and it showed a side of Italy I've never seen represented on film. You made the City of God comparison, which I think is fitting cause when I first saw those slums I thought of Rio not Italy.

"I hear there's rumors on the internets" - George W. Bush

Mudbone
Charter member
461 posts
Sat Feb-28-09 03:52 AM

5. "Yeah, this film shitted on a few gangster flicks"
In response to Reply # 0

Thought this was a great flick. Had me rethinking the Mafia in movies and television. Overwhelming at times for because of the realism and multiple story lines; actually could have been because I was tired or the way fools were capped in throughout the film. Not your ordinary gangster flick. Felt more like "Battle of Algiers" to me in the way it was shot and flow of the film. Some also have compared to "City of God" which is a good comparison .

Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomorra_(film)
IMDB Gomorra page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929425/
Reviews: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929425/externalreviews

~C

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sun Mar-01-09 07:46 PM

6. "Did people think the Mafia were nice people?"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought this movie was a complete bore. Yeah, the Mafia fucks people over. The foot soldiers get the worst of it. They are ruthless. And?

I'm supposed to be impressed that life as a criminal is hopeless?

This was basically a slice of life film showing how pointless and hopeless it all is. I guess if you are into that sort of thing you'll like it but I just spent over two hours watching something that was pointless, plotless, characterless, and a waste of time.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Tue Mar-24-09 01:42 PM

9. "most mafia movies portray them as charming and/or charismatic"
In response to Reply # 6

not that they're "nice" people, but they're shown to have some redeeming or at least endearing qualities. this movie strips away any illusion of that.

I can see why people wouldn't get into this movie though.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Mar-24-09 02:49 PM

11. "It just doesn't show those moments"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Mar-24-09 02:49 PM by SoulHonky

It stripped away the charisma by just not showing any of the bosses. For instance, an American version of the film would show the boss working his charms to get the kids to drive his trucks. In this film, the kids just show up.

I don't think it really ever gave us a good feel for any of the characters or their struggles. I just felt like the focus was on being bleak rather than actually showing how life was bleak through a certain character's eyes. The closest they came to that IMO was with the tailor.

I can understand not making the bosses like Tony Soprano but I honestly can't remember a single character out of the film (besides the Tailor).

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Tue Mar-24-09 03:36 PM

12. "because they don't exist in real life"
In response to Reply # 11

>It stripped away the charisma by just not showing any of the
>bosses. For instance, an American version of the film would
>show the boss working his charms to get the kids to drive his
>trucks. In this film, the kids just show up.

because the boss doesn't need to work his charms to get the kids to drive the trucks. if they showed a scene like that it would've been a glitzed up Americanized version of reality & would ring false in this setting.

>I don't think it really ever gave us a good feel for any of
>the characters or their struggles. I just felt like the focus
>was on being bleak rather than actually showing how life was
>bleak through a certain character's eyes. The closest they
>came to that IMO was with the tailor.
>
>I can understand not making the bosses like Tony Soprano but I
>honestly can't remember a single character out of the film
>(besides the Tailor).

I would say the tailor does an excellent job of giving a feel for his character's struggles, which is driven home especially well in his last scene at the truckstop. also the money runner guy, dude was just trying to do his job and found himself stuck in the middle between the two warring sides & tried to find a way out, only to realize that there was none. also the young kid with the soccer jerseys, he just wanted to be down with what seemed like what everyone else around him was doing, but didn't realize what that would cost until it was too late to turn back. and if you can't even remember the two punk teenagers who wanted to be Tony Montana I don't know what to tell you.

but i understand your point. the film largely shows alot of bleakness & mundane everyday shit. so I can understand not really feeling it. I mean it's not as compelling as Goodfellas or anything. but I imagine that's what the reality is actually like, and I thought it did a pretty good job of portraying that.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Mar-24-09 04:53 PM

13. "Perspective"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Mar-24-09 04:54 PM by SoulHonky

>because the boss doesn't need to work his charms to get the
>kids to drive the trucks. if they showed a scene like that it
>would've been a glitzed up Americanized version of reality &
>would ring false in this setting.

So what did he do? He just kidnapped a bunch of kids? No, he went over, asked who wants to make money and became a hero to those little kids. Americanized versions gloss over most of the bad stuff but this film completely erased any hint of even a remotely accessible side.

If I was making that scene, I'd start with the boss asking some kids "Who wants to make some money?" (seems like he could be a decent guy), then we see he puts them to work on heavy machinery (Shady), and then we see why he did it (which shows the guy is a heartless bastard).

You show both sides of the boss, how he can seem like a savior but is really a devil. This film just showed one side of it and I think that rings as hollow as just showing a mob boss as a nice guy who wants to help the neighborhood.

> also the money
>runner guy, dude was just trying to do his job and found
>himself stuck in the middle between the two warring sides &
>tried to find a way out, only to realize that there was none.
>also the young kid with the soccer jerseys, he just wanted to
>be down with what seemed like what everyone else around him
>was doing, but didn't realize what that would cost until it
>was too late to turn back.

Personally, those are two stories I have no sympathy for. Anyone who gets involved in obviously illegal shit and then is like "Oh shit, I didn't know..." I can't stand that. THAT'S the shit I think gets glossed over in films too much.

One reason City of God was so good was that they had Rocket trying to stay out of it and Knockout Ned also trying to stay free but finally getting mixed up in it all. I just can't feel bad for a moneyrunner or a kid who is old enough to know better who gets involved because everyone else is doing it.

----

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Wed Mar-25-09 02:49 PM

14. "RE: Perspective"
In response to Reply # 13

>So what did he do? He just kidnapped a bunch of kids? No, he
>went over, asked who wants to make money and became a hero to
>those little kids.

that's pretty evident I think, there's really no need to show that on-screen.

>Americanized versions gloss over most of
>the bad stuff but this film completely erased any hint of even
>a remotely accessible side.

nah, it showed him as being pretty affable with the young guy working with him at first like when they went to Venice, and with that guy's father at the airport, and at the bedside of the old man who I guess was his boss or a higher-up in the organization or whatever. he showed an accessible side, he didn't just come off as a monster like you are saying.

>If I was making that scene, I'd start with the boss asking
>some kids "Who wants to make some money?" (seems like he could
>be a decent guy), then we see he puts them to work on heavy
>machinery (Shady), and then we see why he did it (which shows
>the guy is a heartless bastard).

I don't see the need to show all that really.

>You show both sides of the boss, how he can seem like a savior
>but is really a devil. This film just showed one side of it
>and I think that rings as hollow as just showing a mob boss as
>a nice guy who wants to help the neighborhood.

I had no problem with the way he was portrayed. to portray him seeming like a savior but then turning out to be the devil seems kinda cliche to me.

>Personally, those are two stories I have no sympathy for.
>Anyone who gets involved in obviously illegal shit and then is
>like "Oh shit, I didn't know..." I can't stand that. THAT'S
>the shit I think gets glossed over in films too much.

the money runner guy wasn't portrayed like that as innocent going in, things just escalated beyond his control and left him trapped in the middle with no way out. and the kid was like 13 years old, seems pretty cold to judge him that harshly.

>One reason City of God was so good was that they had Rocket
>trying to stay out of it and Knockout Ned also trying to stay
>free but finally getting mixed up in it all. I just can't feel
>bad for a moneyrunner or a kid who is old enough to know
>better who gets involved because everyone else is doing it.

I don't think the movie is asking you to feel bad for the money runner guy really, it's just showing how much of a no-win situation he's in. but if you can't feel for the kid at all that seems pretty harsh, yeah he should've known better but I don't think he could've forseen where it would lead to him being forced to set up that woman to be killed like that, especially since that was apparently a new line being crossed. and if you can't feel bad for the tailor I don't know what to tell you.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

epluribusunum
Charter member
1770 posts
Mon May-04-09 06:02 PM

23. "RE: completely derivative"
In response to Reply # 6

the film was a disappointment. the book is great, but this movie has been done before, and done better.

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sun Mar-01-09 09:20 PM

7. "Yeah, I wanted to check this out."
In response to Reply # 0

Has it hit Netflix yet?

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Wed Mar-25-09 02:52 PM

15. "it's on On Demand if you have that"
In response to Reply # 7

doubt it's on Netflix yet.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Tue Mar-24-09 01:47 PM

10. "RE: Official Gomorra post"
In response to Reply # 0

>cinematography, and unlike its American counterparts it
>touches on the U.S. complicity in the mob's activities (The
>Allied Forces basically created the five families after WWII
>as a way to keep order).

wat

also the Camorra is a separate organization from the Mafia/LCN.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Mon May-04-09 01:49 PM

22. "RE: Official Gomorra post"
In response to Reply # 10

I was mainly referring to the fact that the Camarra crime family is actually funding the World Trade Center reconstruction.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Mar-28-09 12:49 AM

16. "I somewhat agree with SoulHonky's assessment but I still liked it"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Mar-28-09 01:09 AM by ZooTown74

for some odd reason

There is a sense of inevitability and "foreboding" from the start, and I was fine with that... I mean, the point was made (granted, over 2 hours and 16 minutes) that the grip that this crew has on every single facet of this society is inescapable... and I dunno what else you could do with that information but make everyone aware of it, I suppose...

I admit to being completely bored with the waste management and garment dude stories... the movie just dragged for me whenever those characters were on the screen... but I thought the other tales were solid... and like I said, I liked the fact that there was an ominous feel to the whole thing, that whatever self-interests these people had would eventually be wiped out by the long arm of the Camorra...

Interesting flick. I'ma check it out again soon and see if it plays a little faster than it did the first time...

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Sat Mar-28-09 11:43 AM

17. "when is this coming out on dvd"
In response to Reply # 0

missed it in the theather

-----------------------------------------------------------------

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Mar-28-09 01:52 PM

18. "If you're in L.A. and have cable, I know it's available On Demand"
In response to Reply # 17

I saw it in Santa Monica, though, and it's also in Los Feliz

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Fri Apr-03-09 04:46 PM

20. "i'm in the valley and do have cable"
In response to Reply # 18

i will see if it is on demand and get it

-----------------------------------------------------------------

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Fri Apr-03-09 01:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "just finished watchin it.... i enjoyed it"
In response to Reply # 0

i liked the lack of glitz.... i liked that they showed how diversified the camorra's portofolio is....

i watched a dubbed french version though... i'd like 2 see one with subtitles so i can hear what the characters sound like...

not better than goodfellas imo but very well done... anybody read the book?

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Mon May-04-09 05:54 AM

21. "I was going in hoping that I would come out of it liking it"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-04-09 06:08 AM by Sponge

a great deal, but I have a mixed reaction. This was one of my most anticipated films of the year.

Subject-/info-wise, it's great. I don't think the director felt like he had anything new to say about organized crime and society, but rather the only new thing about the film was the notion of introducing the Camorra to people who don't know about them and how it is in Naples. I don't hold it against him or the film. I don't particularly care if artists have new things to say anyway; if they do, it's a major plus, if they don't, it's not a negative.

Aesthetically, wasn't impressed by it. The great Leslie Shatz did the sound design and nothing registered with me as particularly memorable. Though, in an interview, the director noted that he didn't want the sound design to stand out. Some nice compositions here and there, but I didn't find it as visually striking as some people did. But I barely remember anything from the park shootout which according to the director had his favorite shot of the film.

Narrative-/plot-wise, while watching it, it felt like it lacked the certain type of rhythm and tempo that most people expect from a well-plotted or well-scripted film. While watching it, it feels like there's no narrative momentum (at times it felt like an assemblage of footage rather than the classical narrative film), but after the film, I was thinking about the different plots and I guess there was a narrative drive there albeit of the episodic variety. So, it's weird: my reaction to the film depends on the point-of-view (i.e., lukewarm reaction while watching it; a more positive reaction when thinking about the film in retrospect). What's sort of weird is that some of my favorite films feel even more loosely plotted and slower than Gomorra, but in those cases, I enjoyed them while not so much with Gomorra.

Did you guys know that the boss of the Scarface boys' neighborhood is a real-life Camorra boss and he's currently locked up? Also, the throat guy is a gangster from another clan.

Another bit of info that added to my appreciation of the film is that the people in the neighborhoods welcomed the filming and, for example, a drug dealer told the director how drug deals really went down and stuff. So I guess there's more documentary touches in the film.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Mon Aug-17-09 06:37 PM

24. "Criterion DVD in November"
In response to Reply # 0

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Tue Dec-08-09 06:42 PM

25. "Anyone seen it since the DVD release?"
In response to Reply # 24

Even though this was maybe my most underwhelming movie experience of the decade, I'm still eager to read what folks thought of it.

FamisZhackPierre
Member since Sep 29th 2009
233 posts
Tue Dec-08-09 07:53 PM

26. "It's a "solid" effort..."
In response to Reply # 0

I know it's cool/hip to co-sign this film as the shit...

but it isn't mind-blowing...seriously, it isn't...

fuck the Sopranos?...Goodfellas?...

Get...the...fuck...outta...here.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #431213 Previous topic | Next topic