Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #406223

Subject: " religulous" Previous topic | Next topic
MfDash
Member since May 10th 2008
549 posts
Sun Oct-05-08 12:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
" religulous"

Just saw that Bill Maher joint.. its cool.. leave your bibles at home though.. many highlights.. including an appearance by Jesus Christ himself two times.. and a member of Melvin and the Blue Notes who is now an ordained pimp... people walked out offended and others laughed.. i liked it as a middle eastern studies major.. but thought he was harsher on islam.. less joke more of really fearful

and when i can im gonna build a castle that touches the clouds,
not to get closer to god but to get further from y'all

- Slug

www.myspace.com/d_ash
www.twitter.com/mfdash

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't know if I can even stomach it. I might try.
Oct 05th 2008
RE: I don't know if I can even stomach it. I might try.
Oct 05th 2008
I saw it. Great.
Oct 05th 2008
I liked it, but I had some problems with it
Oct 05th 2008
RE: I liked it, but I had some problems with it
Oct 05th 2008
As someone who's obsessed with theology, and a good snark
Oct 06th 2008
why would this surprise you?
Oct 06th 2008
Watching Bill Maher smirk at me for 90 minutes? I might pass.
Oct 05th 2008
agreed
Oct 06th 2008
      calling out nonsense belief is bigoted now?
Oct 06th 2008
           Why couldn't it be?
Oct 06th 2008
I went with my wife....
Oct 06th 2008
Funny last ten minutes where too much for me.
Oct 06th 2008
RE: Funny last ten minutes where too much for me.
Oct 06th 2008
I liked it.
Oct 06th 2008
RE: religulous
Oct 09th 2008
FUNNAY!!!
Nov 03rd 2008
Can't stand his condescending demeanor...
Nov 03rd 2008
Feb 21st 2009
Feb 21st 2009
Hitler wasn't atheist tho. not that it should matter...at all
Feb 21st 2009
      Hitler reminds me of those assholes who call themselves
Feb 21st 2009
           why does "spiritual but not religious" make you an asshole?
Feb 22nd 2009
                I'll admit the word was a little inflammatory, but here's how I view it:
Feb 22nd 2009
                     i'm an example of that not being true
Feb 22nd 2009
                          RE: i'm an example of that not being true
Feb 22nd 2009
                               what the fuck? that's not redundant...
Feb 22nd 2009
                               RE: what the fuck? that's not redundant...
Feb 22nd 2009
                                    opinions are only valid if they don't conflict with facts
Feb 22nd 2009
                                         RE: opinions are only valid if they don't conflict with facts
Feb 23rd 2009
                                              Pretty much all religion does have a spirtual side to it
Feb 23rd 2009
                                              Words are abstractions and not the actual thing
Feb 23rd 2009
                               whatever dude
Feb 22nd 2009
                                    RE: whatever dude
Feb 22nd 2009
                                    what are you apologizing for?
Feb 22nd 2009
Well if a 24-sentence paragraph doesn't convince people,
Feb 21st 2009
I disagree with everything you wrote...
Feb 21st 2009
RE: I disagree with everything you wrote...
Feb 21st 2009
      RE: I disagree with everything you wrote...
Feb 22nd 2009
           You lost
Feb 22nd 2009
                not everything is meant to be taken literally...
Feb 22nd 2009
                     RE: not everything is meant to be taken literally...
Feb 22nd 2009
                          RE: not everything is meant to be taken literally...
Feb 22nd 2009
                          yo...
Feb 22nd 2009
This isn't really true at all...
Feb 22nd 2009
      RE: This isn't really true at all...
Feb 22nd 2009
           How about the other scientist?
Feb 22nd 2009
                RE: How about the other scientist?
Feb 22nd 2009
                exactly..
Feb 22nd 2009
                     RE: exactly..
Feb 22nd 2009
*Claps*
Feb 21st 2009
I had high hopes going into this film
Feb 21st 2009
did anybody else notice that he was stoned in the car scenes?
Feb 22nd 2009
it wouldn't have been so bad... if he went in on more religions
Feb 23rd 2009
raised in NJ, went to Cornell
Feb 23rd 2009
he's explained that before
Apr 02nd 2009
RE: You either love it or hate it
Apr 02nd 2009
As a southerner raised in a Baptist Church.....
Apr 03rd 2009

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Sun Oct-05-08 05:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't know if I can even stomach it. I might try."
In response to Reply # 0

MfDash
549 posts
Sun Oct-05-08 12:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: I don't know if I can even stomach it. I might try."
In response to Reply # 1

i dont think its that bad hes more attacking the followers.. and its the ish that youve known forever thats forefront..

- Slug

www.myspace.com/d_ash
www.twitter.com/mfdash

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Sun Oct-05-08 02:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I saw it. Great."
In response to Reply # 0

Wasn't expecting much, because I'm really not a fan of Bill Maher, but I liked it a lot.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Sun Oct-05-08 03:34 PM

4. "I liked it, but I had some problems with it"
In response to Reply # 0

I think the film was at it's strongest when it dealt with the general thesis he stated in the beginning: self-fulfilling prophecy is stupid. A lot of people think we're living in the End of Days, and because of that they fuck up the planet and each other and don't take responsibility for their actions, 'cause hey, the world is going to end anyway. I also think he did a good job of pointing out how the idea that "Believing in God is good, because what if you're wrong?" is pretty damn silly. I was a little surprised that the religious figures that seemed to be the most level-headed were two of the Catholics: the Catholic Astronomy expert and that one weird priest he met outside the Vatican. Okay, so that second guy wasn't all that level-headed, but I appreciated his world view.

I have no problem with Maher trying to make some of the people look stupid, such as the Arkansas Senator, the guy from Harold Melvin and hte Blue Notes, the British rapper, the anit-Israel Rabbi who went to Iran to take part in the Holocaust Denial "forum," the guy from PR who's telling his followers that he's Jesus Christ reincarnated, and even the guy who runs the Creationist Museum. These are all guys who are seeking publicity, power, and most often money, so they know what they're getting into and can face the tough questions.

But I felt like he was going out of his way to belittle some people, who, for all intnets and purposes, were just minding their own business until his cameras showed up. I'm thinking of some of the people at the Holy Land theme park or even that poor Ex-Jew for Jesus schlub. A lot of these guys aren't as media saavy as say, Bill Maher, so him making a point ot make them look stupid seemed petty. Some of the "ordinary" folks seemed able to deal with it, particularly the Jesus Truckers or the guy at the Dome of the Rock (who seemed to be really sticking his neck for the crew, and Bill still made it a point to make him look dumb).

So while I liked the overall point of the film, and thought it was entertaining as whole, some of the execution bugged me.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

MfDash
549 posts
Sun Oct-05-08 08:34 PM

5. "RE: I liked it, but I had some problems with it"
In response to Reply # 4

Whats weird to me is I had the biggest issue with the Jew for Jesus.. I felt like hes just as bad as the rest of the money grubbers out there selling Christ Like Memorabilia for high cost at profit.. but i agree with you when it came to the nobodies.. like the trucker church and whatnot..

- Slug

www.myspace.com/d_ash
www.twitter.com/mfdash

MANHOODLUM
Charter member
27788 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "As someone who's obsessed with theology, and a good snark"
In response to Reply # 4

I might pick this up on a rent.

I spent a good chunk of my life reviewing religions, reading conspiracy books focused on the subject, and trying to get a better understanding of everything.

With that said, religion is always "easy" to make fun of. I mean, it's all basically the way you word things, etc...

It's a subject that interests me, but this movie strikes me as Bill Maher putting little effort in soft-shoeing into the picture and just making easy snarks against basic religious beliefs. It's easy prey to snark against religion, let's be honest. It can all be made to sound silly.

I saw him talking to "Jesus", and he just had his trademark smirk on, "So do people recognize you when you go out?"....ha (not really).

Bill could adlib something like this with his eyes closed. It might have funny parts, but is it really fulfilling?

E-Boogs and Nayi

MANHOODLUM
Most sig'd okp.
No Aliases.

MANHOODLUM via Twitter
MANHOODLUM@live.com
MANHOODLUM@yahoo.com
Tommy Moran @ Facebook
MANHOODLUM@tmo.blackberry.net

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 01:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "why would this surprise you?"
In response to Reply # 4

>silly. I was a little surprised that the religious figures
>that seemed to be the most level-headed were two of the
>Catholics: the Catholic Astronomy expert and that one weird
>priest he met outside the Vatican. Okay, so that second guy
>wasn't all that level-headed, but I appreciated his world
>view.

but yeah poking fun at people who are just minding their own business seems kinda mean spirited. I'll have to wait until I've seen it to say though.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sun Oct-05-08 09:51 PM

6. "Watching Bill Maher smirk at me for 90 minutes? I might pass."
In response to Reply # 0

I realize he can be a great writer, and certainly religion's hazards are a terrific topic for a documentary... but Maher smugly poking fun at people isn't my idea of a good film. Props to him for the subject matter, and trying to do it mainstream... but the trailer made me cringe.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 02:35 AM

8. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 6

>I realize he can be a great writer, and certainly religion's
>hazards are a terrific topic for a documentary... but Maher
>smugly poking fun at people isn't my idea of a good film.
>Props to him for the subject matter, and trying to do it
>mainstream... but the trailer made me cringe.

to me bill's always at his worst when he goes in on religion. andrew sullivan was right a couple weeks ago when he accused him of being straight up bigoted at times.

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 10:30 AM

9. "calling out nonsense belief is bigoted now?"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon Oct-06-08 10:30 AM by bluetiger

smh

don't be fkn evil.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 03:00 PM

13. "Why couldn't it be?"
In response to Reply # 9

I know bigot is a pretty nasty word, but it's definition is pretty broadly applicable IMO:

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Seems like that definition could include people with viewpoints that are entirely justifiable, no?

I think the real question is whether Bill's approach is counterproductive to what he's trying to accomplish.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 12:28 AM

7. "I went with my wife...."
In response to Reply # 0

We were extremely surprised to see the stadium theater packed. There were even people standing in the aisles to watch. We thought we'd be the only ones there.

We were pretty happy with the movie. I did completely cringe when the movie opened with a scene from the city I was born in (Raleigh)....and then later had a scene in the city I currently live in (Miami).

The crowd clapped and cheered for the movie when it was over. From what I saw of the crowd, it exceeded expectations.

don't be fkn evil.

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 11:15 AM

10. "Funny last ten minutes where too much for me."
In response to Reply # 0

First thing Bill Maher you are funny
Second thing Mill Maher you are a fucking prick

I was amused with the overall context of the film, although i saw it as a comedy not a documentary. I have the same problem with this that i have with Michael Moore movies they are cut and paste jobs to make people who don't agree with them look stupid and have you believe there is no other option but to accept that point or be labelled stupid. The last 5 minutes of this movie are ridiculous. Bill Maher's god-like imagery during his five minute diatride of how until we get rid of religion we can't be complete was absolutely retarded. I am an agnostic so could care less about it, but to spend an hour and a half belittling people and then add that piece of shit at the end to make yourself seem all knowing, just shows how big of an ass you are. As for the cut and paste work it was hillarious and made me laugh a lot. Overall though i was kind of disappointed that is was such a serious attempt and he came off looking like the biggest ass, except may the guy from the Creation Museum (anyone else think it was funny he looked like the missing link, someone gorilla faced that man) Good to see for a laugh, if you are going to reaffirm your religous hatred i'd pass, Maher came off as more of a jackass then most.

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 03:04 PM

14. "RE: Funny last ten minutes where too much for me."
In response to Reply # 10

I might have meant to say Bill Maher you are a fucking prick

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 04:58 PM

15. "I liked it."
In response to Reply # 0

he did go hard on the middle east, which was completely out of context with the rest of the movie.

but you gotta admit the whole ice,steam,and water jesus hit him with was amazing.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

Walk Wit Me85
Member since Sep 08th 2005
5456 posts
Thu Oct-09-08 09:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "RE: religulous"
In response to Reply # 0

did a torrent come out yet?

http://www.myspace.com/theyounggarvey
"Paint a picture of the Ghetto like JJ"- Common

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Mon Nov-03-08 12:45 PM

17. "FUNNAY!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

iboycottedimdb
Member since Nov 20th 2006
11524 posts
Mon Nov-03-08 01:42 PM

18. "Can't stand his condescending demeanor..."
In response to Reply # 0

If you can fuck superhead and walk away disease-free, there is a god somewhere!

"I'm sick of followin' my dreams. I'm just gonna ask where they goin', and hook with them later." - Mitch Hedberg

"I don't think muthafuckas went to the moon either, but that's just me."-Mos

Vaiops2wega
Member since Jul 01st 2002
2361 posts
Sat Feb-21-09 02:34 AM

19. "RE: religulous"
In response to Reply # 0

I just watched a torrent of this, so late pass me if you must, but I just had to speak out against this film. My first hint that this was going to be a bad movie was the title. I don't know how a so-called comedian, and a 53 year old one at that, still hasn't figured out that puns are lazy writing and not funny. You know how you can tell this was a bad movie? Because this would've been a 1 minute documentary if someone had just said, "Congratulations on being an atheist, Bill. You're a better person than me" That's all he wanted to hear. He didn't make this film to spur debate. He's not challenging the perceptions of religous people or atheists, he's just pandering to people who share his view. This was a vanity project for him. Every religous person he talked to was nice to this guy, with the exception of that one trucker who left the chapel. Meanwhile, he's talking to them like, "You believe in God!?!? Wow, you're so stupid!?!?" And he's supposed to be the morally superior one? I think the most moral person in the entire film was the trucker who left the chapel. He had the right idea. He didn't like what Bill had to say so he stopped listening. Bill could learn a thing or two from that guy. If he doesn't like religion, than don't worship. This isn't a theocracy. No one is forcing him to be religous. He poses all these existential questions about life, but does he speak with religous scholars or intellectuals. No, he talks to truckers, some coon-ass southern minister, a Jesus impersonator, and some fat Colombian who thinks he's the descendent of Jesus. You don't think he could've gotten Cornell West or Minister Farakhan to show up? Somehow he has no problem finding intellectuals on the atheist side. Then he goes after Islam in the most bigoted and racist way and completely gets a pass somehow. He says that most of the time when people die because of a religion it's Islam. Has this guy never heard of the Spanish Inquisition? Funny I mentioned Cornell West because he was actually on Maher's show discussing the same thing and countered Maher's assertion on people dying because of religion by pointing out the millions of people who died at the hands of a fellow atheist, Joseph Stalin. Maher's response: "No, when you get to the level of control Stalin had over people, that basically is a religion" This dumb motherfucker sonned himself by saying atheism is a religion and didn't even realize it. Anyway, this is a horrible movie that shouldn't be bought by anyone and only illegally downloaded from torrents such as the one below.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4683591/ReligulousDvDrip-FXG

“You do Coach bags, I do kush bags, you a douchebag, I’m the truth fag/share greedy, ya’ll niggas get scared easy, queer like multiple pairs of Air Yeezys” - Sean Price

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Sat Feb-21-09 07:58 AM

20. "RE: religulous"
In response to Reply # 19

agreed with alot of your points. Hitler should be included with Stalin in the analysis of aethiest evil-doings. Religion is not the enemy.

But noone needs this 'pass' you speak of to critisize Islam or the practises of. These racial politics are counter-productive....not to mention inapplicable, to the problems of religious conflict. All genuine viewpoints are fair to express. No 'passes' needed.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Feb-21-09 09:17 AM

21. "Hitler wasn't atheist tho. not that it should matter...at all"
In response to Reply # 20

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

stravinskian
12698 posts
Sat Feb-21-09 01:27 PM

23. "Hitler reminds me of those assholes who call themselves"
In response to Reply # 21

"spiritual but not religious."

Kept what he wanted of his Catholicism, but added in layers of German and Scandinavian pagan mysticism to make it all more exciting.

amplifya
Member since Sep 05th 2002
6962 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 04:56 AM

29. "why does "spiritual but not religious" make you an asshole?"
In response to Reply # 23

>"spiritual but not religious."

stravinskian
12698 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 01:24 PM

36. "I'll admit the word was a little inflammatory, but here's how I view it:"
In response to Reply # 29
Sun Feb-22-09 01:43 PM by stravinskian

religion = superstition + tradition

If either of those two components has any value whatsoever, it's tradition. But that's precisely the component that's being rejected by "spiritual but not religious" people.

amplifya
6962 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:02 PM

37. "i'm an example of that not being true"
In response to Reply # 36

i grew up in a jewish household
i consider my beliefs "spiritual but not religious"
because i believe in an interconnectedness of everything and the idea of something unexplainable that is higher, and maybe the idea of having a soul, but not any type of biblical god or anything biblical at all

But I do enjoy the traditions of Judaism, the holidays, I just don't actually believe any of it

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:09 PM

38. "RE: i'm an example of that not being true"
In response to Reply # 37

"spiritual but not religious"

Look this is really all you need to do. Get a dictionary. Go to the "R" section. Look up "redundant"

“You do Coach bags, I do kush bags, you a douchebag, I’m the truth fag/share greedy, ya’ll niggas get scared easy, queer like multiple pairs of Air Yeezys” - Sean Price

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:24 PM

41. "what the fuck? that's not redundant..."
In response to Reply # 38

And redundant isn't the word you're looking for. Saying something like "I'm currently unavailable at the moment" is an example of redundancy. "Spiritual but not religious" is not only grammatically correct, but a valid, logical statement. Spirituality doesn't have to have anything to do with religion.

----

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:47 PM

46. "RE: what the fuck? that's not redundant..."
In response to Reply # 41

>And redundant isn't the word you're looking for. Saying
>something like "I'm currently unavailable at the moment" is an
>example of redundancy. "Spiritual but not religious" is not
>only grammatically correct, but a valid, logical statement.
>Spirituality doesn't have to have anything to do with
>religion.

Oh, jeepers. Well it looks like I have an opinion and YOU have an opinion

The Analyst
4621 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 11:01 PM

48. "opinions are only valid if they don't conflict with facts"
In response to Reply # 46

Which is your opinion? This isn't subjective. The incorrect use of the word redundant, or the fact that, by definition, one does not have to be religious to be spiritual. Neither of those are factually disputable. Therefore my opinion is fact, and yours is not.

----

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Mon Feb-23-09 12:37 AM

51. "RE: opinions are only valid if they don't conflict with facts"
In response to Reply # 48
Mon Feb-23-09 12:38 AM by Vaiops2wega

>Which is your opinion? This isn't subjective. The incorrect
>use of the word redundant, or the fact that, by definition,
>one does not have to be religious to be spiritual.

Hello! Then why are religious songs called SPIRITUALS?

amplifya
6962 posts
Mon Feb-23-09 01:04 AM

52. "Pretty much all religion does have a spirtual side to it"
In response to Reply # 51

Not all spirtuality has organized religion to it.

Key
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2715 posts
Mon Feb-23-09 09:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
53. "Words are abstractions and not the actual thing"
In response to Reply # 51

Don't let the tail wag the dog.

And that's about all I care to touch in this post.

amplifya
6962 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:29 PM

42. "whatever dude"
In response to Reply # 38
Sun Feb-22-09 08:30 PM by amplifya

when I say i'm "spiritual but not religious" all it means to me is I don't subscribe to the beliefs of any organized religion but I believe in the ideas of things being inexplicably interconnected, possibilty of a higher power, mind/body/soul, etc.

If that makes me an asshole, sorry for offending you

riyadh
Member since Oct 06th 2007
285 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:42 PM

45. "RE: whatever dude"
In response to Reply # 42

>when I say i'm "spiritual but not religious" all it means to
>me is I don't subscribe to the beliefs of any organized
>religion but I believe in the ideas of things being
>inexplicably interconnected, possibilty of a higher power,
>mind/body/soul, etc.
>
>If that makes me an asshole, sorry for offending you

i don't know you, so I ain't tryna knock you or your beliefs personally, but that phrase sounds like sumthin a dumb california white bitch would say

"I hear there's rumors on the internets" - George W. Bush

The Analyst
4621 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 11:06 PM

49. "what are you apologizing for?"
In response to Reply # 42

>If that makes me an asshole, sorry for offending you

He's the clown who should be apologizing to you for A) his fucking horrendous attempt at snark that worked neither as snark nor as a grammar lesson, and B) having the gal to tell you your non-conformity to organized religion conflicts with your spiritual beliefs.

----

stravinskian
12698 posts
Sat Feb-21-09 01:22 PM

22. "Well if a 24-sentence paragraph doesn't convince people,"

I don't know what will.

The Analyst
4621 posts
Sat Feb-21-09 01:50 PM

25. "I disagree with everything you wrote..."

If I had to guess I'd say that you're religious in some sense, and that's why you were offended by the movie. You'll probably tell me that that's not the case, just to say I'm wrong, but for rational non-believers like myself whose heads come near to exploding every time I think about the hypocrisy of organized religion, this movie was finally a point in the right column.

----

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Sat Feb-21-09 08:21 PM

26. "RE: I disagree with everything you wrote..."
In response to Reply # 25

>If I had to guess I'd say that you're religious in some
>sense, and that's why you were offended by the movie. You'll
>probably tell me that that's not the case, just to say I'm
>wrong, but for rational non-believers like myself whose heads
>come near to exploding every time I think about the hypocrisy
>of organized religion, this movie was finally a point in the
>right column.

Yes, I am religous "in some sense" and wouldn't lie about it just to spite you. Do you seriously think that making a movie in which you're a condescending and pretentious douche bag to ordinary people is a "point in the right column"? You speak of hypocrisy in religion, but you seriously don't see any hypocrisy in atheism? You and I both know that Stalin is just one of many examples of atheism gone wrong. Look, I don't have a problem with atheists. Religion isn't for you, I get it. But it seems to me like most atheists believe that if religion were abolished the world would suddenly become a utopia. You really don't think mankind would find something else to fight over? There are tons of conflicts in the world right now that have nothing to do with religion.

The Analyst
4621 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 12:08 AM

28. "RE: I disagree with everything you wrote..."
In response to Reply # 26
Sun Feb-22-09 12:09 AM by The Analyst

>Yes, I am religous "in some sense" and wouldn't lie about it
>just to spite you. Do you seriously think that making a movie
>in which you're a condescending and pretentious douche bag to
>ordinary people is a "point in the right column"? You speak of
>hypocrisy in religion, but you seriously don't see any
>hypocrisy in atheism? You and I both know that Stalin is just
>one of many examples of atheism gone wrong. Look, I don't have
>a problem with atheists. Religion isn't for you, I get it. But
>it seems to me like most atheists believe that if religion
>were abolished the world would suddenly become a utopia. You
>really don't think mankind would find something else to fight
>over? There are tons of conflicts in the world right now that
>have nothing to do with religion.

You call it pretentious and condescending. I don't. I would actually argue that most of the people Maher interviewed were pretentious and condescending (religions by definition imply moral superiority over non-believers). They hold their beliefs as certitudes, whereas Maher's position is that its impossible to know, and thereby irrational to impose those beliefs on others.

And I've never ever in my life heard an atheist say any of the shit you just said about atheism. Most atheists I know are intelligent and progressive, see through the obvious farce of ORGANIZATIONAL religion, and believe FIRMLY in being a good person (which is ultimately what life is all about) does not require the bells a whistles of belonging to a cult.

----

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 09:21 AM

31. "You lost"
In response to Reply # 28
Sun Feb-22-09 09:27 AM by Vaiops2wega

>And I've never ever in my life heard an atheist say any of the
>shit you just said about atheism. Most atheists I know are
>intelligent and progressive, see through the obvious farce of
>ORGANIZATIONAL religion, and believe FIRMLY in being a good
>person (which is ultimately what life is all about) does not
>require the bells a whistles of belonging to a cult.

WTF are you talking about? That's exactly what Bill Maher said during the last five minutes of the movie! I believe the quote is, "If mankind is to survive, religion must end"

The Analyst
4621 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 11:29 AM

33. "not everything is meant to be taken literally..."
In response to Reply # 31

Do you really think that's what his point was? But wouldn't the world be a better place if everybody's main spiritual focus was trying to live right and be a good person, as opposed to fighting over which religion is superior? That's what you should take away from what he meant by that.

But I'm not really interested in debating sociology and religion with somebody who writes "you lost" as a response.

----

riyadh
285 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:32 PM

43. "RE: not everything is meant to be taken literally..."
In response to Reply # 33
Sun Feb-22-09 08:39 PM by riyadh

>Do you really think that's what his point was? But wouldn't
>the world be a better place if everybody's main spiritual
>focus was trying to live right and be a good person, as
>opposed to fighting over which religion is superior? That's
>what you should take away from what he meant by that.
>
>But I'm not really interested in debating sociology and
>religion with somebody who writes "you lost" as a response.

Who the fuck is you? The Duke of Warwickshire? Nigga, you did LOSE and you just mad cuz kid sonned you. Bill Maher literally does think the world should abolish religion and he's been very adament about that. That was the entire point of the movie. As further proof of what a complete turkey Maher is, I read an interview with him and he actually used the phrase, "honkey, please". Ewwww. Well I'm sorry for disturbing you. Now you can go back to reading Atlas Shrugged by your fireplace in your ascot while smoking a pipe.

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:48 PM

47. "RE: not everything is meant to be taken literally..."
In response to Reply # 43

>movie. As further proof of what a complete turkey Maher is, I
>read an interview with him and he actually used the phrase,
>"honkey, please".

Ahhahhhhaahahahahah. Thanks for this.

The Analyst
4621 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 11:15 PM

50. "yo..."
In response to Reply # 43

>Nigga, you did
>LOSE and you just mad cuz kid sonned you. Bill Maher literally
>does think the world should abolish religion and he's been
>very adament about that. That was the entire point of the
>movie.

Obviously.

What that dude derived from the Maher's point was that the world would become a utopia if religion was abolished, which wasn't the entire point of the movie. It wasn't said or implied...except for when he made a broad statement like "for the survival of mankind" which was what I said wasn't exactly a literal statement (although truthfully it could be)...He doesn't even necessarily hold religion in contempt...he only holds the people that blindly adhere to some bullshit nonsensical hypocritcal views in contempt.

Where he's right, though, is that religion is the prime basis for so much hate and bigotry in this country, that if people could divorce themselves for their hypnosis then alot of the basis for that shit would be gone.

----

amplifya
6962 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 05:17 AM

30. "This isn't really true at all..."

>He poses all
>these existential questions about life, but does he speak with
>religous scholars or intellectuals. No, he talks to truckers,
>some coon-ass southern minister, a Jesus impersonator, and
>some fat Colombian who thinks he's the descendent of Jesus.

I agree with alot of your points, but he DID talk to a U.S. Senator who wouldnt say he didn't believe there was a talking snake in the garden of eden, and said "You don't have to pass an IQ test to be a senator"
He also talked to that dude from the Human Genome Project who was a world renowned scientist. And I'm not even halfway through the movie yet

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 09:24 AM

32. "RE: This isn't really true at all..."
In response to Reply # 30

>>He poses all
>>these existential questions about life, but does he speak
>with
>>religous scholars or intellectuals. No, he talks to
>truckers,
>>some coon-ass southern minister, a Jesus impersonator, and
>>some fat Colombian who thinks he's the descendent of Jesus.
>
>I agree with alot of your points, but he DID talk to a U.S.
>Senator who wouldnt say he didn't believe there was a talking
>snake in the garden of eden, and said "You don't have to pass
>an IQ test to be a senator"
>He also talked to that dude from the Human Genome Project who
>was a world renowned scientist. And I'm not even halfway
>through the movie yet

Okay, I'll spot you the scientist, but there's no way that hillbilly senator is a scholar or intellectual. So now you brought the count up to 1 smart person he talked to on the religous side.

stravinskian
12698 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 01:10 PM

35. "How about the other scientist?"
In response to Reply # 32
Sun Feb-22-09 01:25 PM by stravinskian

George Coyne, from the Vatican Observatory? A thoroughly level-headed man, and presented as such.

Or how about the Vatican priest, Reginald Foster, considered by everyone I know who saw the movie to be the coolest person in it?

>Okay, I'll spot you the scientist, but there's no way that
>hillbilly senator is a scholar or intellectual.

No, but he is a US Senator. Letting the people of Arkansas know what kind of a dullard is representing them is a public service.

Vaiops2wega
2361 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:13 PM

39. "RE: How about the other scientist?"
In response to Reply # 35

>George Coyne, from the Vatican Observatory? A thoroughly
>level-headed man, and presented as such.
>
>Or how about the Vatican priest, Reginald Foster, considered
>by everyone I know who saw the movie to be the coolest person
>in it?

They were both decidely against religion, though. Which brings up another question: how has the Catholic church not fired these guys? I'm not sure how Catholicism works, but it seems like what those guys said is heresy

amplifya
6962 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:21 PM

40. "exactly.."
In response to Reply # 35

how can you dismiss a U.S. Senator as "Just A Hilbily"? That man, who thinks there was a talking snake, represents the entire state of Arkansas politcally (along with another Senator)

riyadh
285 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 08:38 PM

44. "RE: exactly.."
In response to Reply # 40
Sun Feb-22-09 08:43 PM by riyadh

>how can you dismiss a U.S. Senator as "Just A Hilbily"? That
>man, who thinks there was a talking snake, represents the
>entire state of Arkansas politcally (along with another
>Senator)

Wait. Hold on. You mean to tell me that the residents of a state in the south ain't that smart? LOL. So an elected official can't be a hillbilly? What about Bill Clinton? Who knows, maybe it's just Arkansas

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Sat Feb-21-09 01:44 PM

24. "*Claps*"
In response to Reply # 0

Thought it was well-done and entertaining without being overtly obnoxious. He seemed more toned down (hard to believe) than he is on his show.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*Effasig*

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Sat Feb-21-09 11:46 PM

27. "I had high hopes going into this film"
In response to Reply # 0

B/c I'm a huge fan of Bill Mahar and think his show is one of the best political shows on tv. He actually discusses real topics a lot of the time and doesn't feel a need to always make it funny when things are going serious for a moment (One of the things the biggest faults of the Daily Show imo).

Having said that I think this film was a waste of time. Like a previous poster said he doesn't really get into debates he merely gets each representative to state their beliefs and kinda pokes fun at them. There are some interesting and productive moments in the movies such as when Bill discusses he experiences with spirituality in his adult life.

I think Bill and the filmmaker were trying to Michael Moore religion but it never had much direction or real conflict so it kinda fell flat.

The Analyst
4621 posts
Sun Feb-22-09 12:19 PM

34. "did anybody else notice that he was stoned in the car scenes?"
In response to Reply # 0

like, he had a lighter in his hand, and he was all red-eyed and shit.

----

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon Feb-23-09 09:38 AM

54. "it wouldn't have been so bad... if he went in on more religions"
In response to Reply # 0

>Just saw that Bill Maher joint.. its cool.. leave your bibles
>at home though.. many highlights.. including an appearance by
>Jesus Christ himself two times.. and a member of Melvin and
>the Blue Notes who is now an ordained pimp... people walked
>out offended and others laughed.. i liked it as a middle
>eastern studies major.. but thought he was harsher on islam..
>less joke more of really fearful

He seems like the type of yt that was from a bible belt state, moved out to the big city, and now hates everything about Christianity.

He did go in on Islam a bit, but the whole movie was basically about his hate for the Christian church

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Mon Feb-23-09 10:42 AM

55. "raised in NJ, went to Cornell"
In response to Reply # 54

thoughtprocess
Member since Nov 16th 2003
22223 posts
Thu Apr-02-09 05:28 PM

57. "he's explained that before"
In response to Reply # 54

>
>He seems like the type of yt that was from a bible belt state,
>moved out to the big city, and now hates everything about
>Christianity.
>
>He did go in on Islam a bit, but the whole movie was basically
>about his hate for the Christian church

haven't seen it yet, but he's talked about how he mostly focuses on christianity because that's the source of the religious nuts in THIS country. he finds it pointless to make fun of scientologists and others cause he doesn't see them as any more ridiculous than the extreme christians and they have a lot less say in how things run in this country.

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Thu Apr-02-09 05:10 PM

56. "RE: You either love it or hate it"
In response to Reply # 0

I laughed throughout. Religulous is not really a thinking man's movie but it is effective in pointing out the hypocrisy of organized religion. Despite what others have said he does not paint with a broad brush. The beliefs presented in the film really cannot be viewed as fringe, examples,
J. Cummings the preacher pimp
Creflo Dollar, Rev. Ike (preached the gospel of get mo')there are many other and they have millions of followers. Y'all know about Sweet Daddy Grace, lol.

Jews for Jesus, Kathy Lee Gifford. The guy who started the Holy Land theme park is a jew who converted to christianity. There is a whole list on wikipedia.

Mormons and Scientologist are in almost every country now. They both have followers in the milliions

jews against Isreal
Jews againstzionism.com

You get my point. I also disagree with the statements about Bill making people look stupid.

My only beef with the film is that i wished he would have tackled Christianity via using actual text of the bible.
For instance He could have spoken on the fact that Megiddo is not even mentioned in revelation. Even though the film was nowhere as through as it should have been folk should still watch and research the subjecy matter for themselves.
Grade B

BlakGirlSoul
Member since May 21st 2002
14430 posts
Fri Apr-03-09 10:03 AM

58. "As a southerner raised in a Baptist Church....."
In response to Reply # 56

I loved this movie
It made me laugh and hopefully people will not take themselves so seriously that they cannot have intelligent conversations about the points that he made
<--- I love ya man
http://blackgirlsdontdate.blogspot.com
Black Girls Don't Date - Coming soon!

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #406223 Previous topic | Next topic