Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #402054

Subject: "Can you explain why Matthew Broderick still has a movie career?" Previous topic | Next topic
ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 09:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Can you explain why Matthew Broderick still has a movie career?"

Last night, I watched Finding Amanda (or at least all that I could tolerate of it) and became curious about Matthew Broderick's career. I usually approach the Matthew-Broderick-subject with a safe "not that there's anything wrong with that" and a look in the other direction, but I suddenly was interested in just why, two decades after Ferris Bueller, he's still getting leading roles.

After indulging in my curiosity some, I can't really come up with a logical reason for why he's still a name actor. He hasn't had a true box office hit (where the total gross outpaced the production budget by a safe margin) since the late 80's. Moreover, aside from two exception-not-the-rule movies / performances in Election and You Can Count On Me, post-Glory, his normal M.O. is "bad movie, bland performance."

So he's not a money-maker . . . isn't a critical favorite . . . doesn't pick good projects . . . and yet he still has four movies that have come out or will come out this year. And I'm like, why?

Possible reasons:

1. People get nostalgic when they see him, think of Ferris and Sloane and Cameron, and keep letting him get away with shit a normal actor never would (I guess I'm Jennifer Grey in this equation).

2. The Broadway community holds that much weight. *enter limp wrist joke* *fax out apology to GLAAD*

3. Usually show-biz marriages benefit whatever new young blonde an A-list leading man has on his arm. Here, however, is the power of Sarah Jessica Parker just so potent that she has kept her husband relevant even when it didn't really make sense? (But I guess if SATC can trick millions of well-intentioned women into eating such tremendous bullshit and licking up the plate, then anything is possible).

4. There is no God.

Anyway, do any of these ideas fit or are there other possible explanations for why Matthew Broderick still has a movie career?

BTW, did you know he killed two people back in '87 in a car accident? His penalty apparently was a $175 fine. Hmm . . . maybe number four was right.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
he's talented. bad thread
Sep 17th 2008
Name five good performances he's given in the last 15 years.
Sep 17th 2008
      I've got 4.5.
Sep 17th 2008
           The Cable Guy is great
Sep 17th 2008
           agree
Sep 17th 2008
           Right, The Cable Guy's good in my book, too.
Sep 17th 2008
           Can we count his guest spot on 30 Rock?
Sep 17th 2008
           CAPS! THEY'RE ALL CAPS!!
Sep 18th 2008
           Good actors make / get good parts.
Sep 17th 2008
           That's not ALWAYS the case.
Sep 17th 2008
                Sure.
Sep 17th 2008
                     At the very least, he's limited
Sep 17th 2008
                          Like I said, he really only one plays one type of dude.
Sep 18th 2008
           you forgot the Lion King
Sep 18th 2008
Matthew Broderick hate? Really?
Sep 17th 2008
Finding Amanda hate that got put him.
Sep 17th 2008
this is just pure hate right here:
Sep 18th 2008
      seriously. he MAKES that movie
Sep 18th 2008
My thoughts exactly. And Finding Amanda wasn't bad at all.
Sep 17th 2008
      Honestly, you know what was the worst thing about that movie?
Sep 17th 2008
A name is a name
Sep 17th 2008
You would know this better and me . . .
Sep 17th 2008
      I know The Stepford Wives was a nightmare.
Sep 17th 2008
      Stepford, yes, but Kidman took the brunt of that
Sep 17th 2008
           What do those usually cost?
Sep 17th 2008
                There's no way of really knowing
Sep 18th 2008
                     Thanks.
Sep 18th 2008
He saved the world in War Games. Have some respect.
Sep 18th 2008
But he actually killed two people in 1987.
Sep 18th 2008
      yeah. and rob lowe fucked an underaged girl and taped it.
Sep 18th 2008
      Laura Bush killed someone in 1963. What's your point?
Sep 18th 2008
      huh?
Sep 18th 2008
           She ran a stop sign when she was 17
Sep 18th 2008
                really? damn I never heard that.
Sep 18th 2008
                He was in the car she hit, not her passenger
Sep 20th 2008
      he got off light because it wasnt his fault....
Sep 20th 2008
http://librarianwoes.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/jeff_jones.jpg BUELLER!
Sep 18th 2008
He still has a movie career?
Sep 19th 2008

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 10:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "he's talented. bad thread"
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

ricky_BUTLER
16899 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 10:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Name five good performances he's given in the last 15 years."
In response to Reply # 1

He should be able to average at least one every three years, right?

Okay, name them.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 10:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I've got 4.5."
In response to Reply # 2

1. The Cable Guy. Underrated.
2. Election.
3. You Can Count on Me.
4. The Music Man remake.
4.5. The Producers (okay, the movie version was weak, but he was sidesplittingly funny on Broadway)

His performance of Felix in the revival of The Odd Couple was also different and funny.

He's a good actor. He just has picked mostly shitty projects over the last few years while he's mostly done voiceover work and Broadway.

I mean, name 5 great performances by James Earl Jones in movies over the past 15 years. He takes paychecks. Which is fine.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:00 PM

5. "The Cable Guy is great"
In response to Reply # 4

very, very underrated. Probably my 2nd favorite Jim Carey comedy. I never understood the hate some people had for this movie.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:07 PM

6. "agree"
In response to Reply # 5

ricky_BUTLER
16899 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:12 PM

8. "Right, The Cable Guy's good in my book, too."
In response to Reply # 5

I still remember seeing it in theaters.

I still probably have the soundtrack lying around somewhere (truly).

But there's not an inch of what I like about that movie that I can honestly attribute to Matthew Broderick.

You can plug any number of actors into the part and the movie doesn't skip a beat.

"Just average enough to not be distracting" isn't exactly a sterling recommendation.

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:13 PM

10. "Can we count his guest spot on 30 Rock?"
In response to Reply # 4

I enjoyed that

YaBoy...Holla@ME
Member since Mar 10th 2005
3164 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 02:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "CAPS! THEY'RE ALL CAPS!!"
In response to Reply # 10

lol he was great on that and if we're still counting small comedic roles of his I thought he was pretty damn funny in Strangers With Candy too

Avy: Tyrion disrespects King Joffrey yet again

"If your life consists of NO drankin, NO drugs, NO loose booty, NO fatty foods, NO additives, NO preservatives, AND no waings.......then what the fuck you wanna live so long for, boring ass n****?" - Tay

ricky_BUTLER
16899 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:17 PM

11. "Good actors make / get good parts."
In response to Reply # 4

They make 'em good in spite of what they're surrounded with.

And Matthew Broderick isn't exactly a transcendent actor.

Or they pick 'em right in the first place.

And dude picks movies about as well as Ras Kass picks beats.

>He's a good actor. He just has picked mostly shitty projects
>over the last few years while he's mostly done voiceover work
>and Broadway.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:21 PM

13. "That's not ALWAYS the case."
In response to Reply # 11

I've seen plenty of good actors, not to mention GREAT actors, in shitty movies collecting a check. See: Ben Kingsley.

Broderick is kind of a milquetoast dude. He's best on Broadway, where he can be more *ahem* broad. He's also good at playing milquetoast dudes. He's never gonna be a Sean Penn or anything, diving deep into a role that's a stretch for him... but he's still quite good at what he does.

Bad actors don't give performances like he did in Election or You Can Count on Me.

ricky_BUTLER
16899 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:33 PM

15. "Sure."
In response to Reply # 13

>I've seen plenty of good actors, not to mention GREAT actors,
>in shitty movies collecting a check. See: Ben Kingsley.

Right, but Ben Kingsley still had time to check into Elegy or Sexy Beast or The House of Sand and Fog in between Suspect Zero and Thunderbirds. (And, I'm just thinking, but Anthony Hopkins probably is another one who is more capable than most of the movies he signs on to.)

But this kind of takes me back to my crazy idea once upon a time that most perceived good acting is a matter of casting or the director or the script, etc. Broderick's been great in the past decade in two movies that were great aside from him, too (You Can Count on Me / Election). On the other hand, I don't think he can / does elevate lesser quality films. Ben Kingsley is strong in spite of The House of Sand and Fog being a mess, for example. I would never expect that out of Broderick. In that way, that disqualifies him from being a "good actor". He's capable, at best.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:47 PM

19. "At the very least, he's limited"
In response to Reply # 15

When you hear Matthew Broderick is in a movie, you can be pretty sure what his character is going to be like.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 06:03 AM

22. "Like I said, he really only one plays one type of dude."
In response to Reply # 19

But he plays that type of dude well, and in the right film, he can give a really terrific performance.

Plus, to talk about his acting ability without talking about his stage work is to ignore many of his biggest and most successful roles.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 12:27 PM

29. "you forgot the Lion King"
In response to Reply # 4

NOPE! Simba count!

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 10:46 PM

3. "Matthew Broderick hate? Really?"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

ricky_BUTLER
16899 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:08 PM

7. "Finding Amanda hate that got put him."
In response to Reply # 3

But I've never been a fan.

I like Ferris Bueller in spite of him.

He's got the range of my pinky finger.

He's Kevin Spacey plus a wife minus the hardware.

I had all this bias with me 24 hours ago, but then I started checking out his filmography.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000111/filmorate

Do it yourself.

And it's not that box office numbers are the be all and end all, but he's crossed the $50 million domestic gross mark (excluding voice acting) four times since Ferris Bueller. In each case, those movies barely surprassed their production budget and folks likely didn't come out for him (Cable Guy, Godzilla, Inspector Gadget, and The Stepford Wives).

And it's not that awards are the be all and end all, but the last notable nomination he got was in '93, at the Emmy's, for a miniseries. He's in consistent 2-star flicks, knowing how to find the right project like he's Ed Rooney in a Chicago arcade.

But he keeps popping up at theaters like he's a prediction of anything but a whiny voice and a bad movie.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 12:26 PM

28. "this is just pure hate right here:"
In response to Reply # 7

>But I've never been a fan.
>
>I like Ferris Bueller in spite of him.

cmon.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 01:32 PM

31. "seriously. he MAKES that movie"
In response to Reply # 28

take him out (broderick AND the character) and it's not even close to funny.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:34 PM

16. "My thoughts exactly. And Finding Amanda wasn't bad at all."
In response to Reply # 3

Certainly not for everyone...

ricky_BUTLER
16899 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:42 PM

18. "Honestly, you know what was the worst thing about that movie?"
In response to Reply # 16

Worse than the obvious, stale writing and the inane plot even, the
worst thing was that they made Maura Tiernery not look so good.

That hurt my heart a little.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:12 PM

9. "A name is a name"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-17-08 11:13 PM by SoulHonky

- Finding Amanda and Wonderful World were produced by small production companies that were probably happy to have anyone with a recognizable name attached to the film. Broderick isn't exactly picky when it comes to roles so he probably gladly took the paycheck with the added bonus of being Sanaa Lathan's love interest in the latter film (or at least that's what I got out of the little synopsis).

- Diminished Capacity and Margaret are both directed by people with theater roots so they probably are judging Broderick off of his theater work as opposed to Deck the Halls and Inspector Gadget.

- The Tale of Despereaux is animated and Broderick's still got an interesting voice.

It also should be noted that these films are not getting major releases. Finding Amanda was in 13 theaters for three weeks and Diminished Capacity was in a grand total of 4 theaters (also for three weeks). It's not like Broderick is getting lead roles in studio pictures.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

ricky_BUTLER
16899 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:21 PM

12. "You would know this better and me . . ."
In response to Reply # 9

>It's not like Broderick is getting
>lead roles in studio pictures.

Were The Stepford Wives and Deck the Halls considered failures?

I know that's stretching back a couple years, but they seem to be his most recent studio flings.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:23 PM

14. "I know The Stepford Wives was a nightmare."
In response to Reply # 12

If I recall correctly, they spent a ton on it, it got delayed forever, there was in fighting, and it tanked at the box office.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:38 PM

17. "Stepford, yes, but Kidman took the brunt of that"
In response to Reply # 12

Just like The Invasion was a huge bomb but nobody is holding it against Daniel Craig.

Deck the Halls didn't do great but I'm not sure what the studio expected out of it. I really can't believe they thought it was going to do that much business.

I think the biggest issue was The Producers absolutely bombing. 45 million, big ad campaign, only made 19 in the US (and didn't even break even worldwide).

It also doesn't help that there just aren't that many big roles for someone like Broderick in major studio films nowadays and, looking over his filmography, he has a surprising lack of supporting roles.

----

ricky_BUTLER
16899 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 11:49 PM

20. "What do those usually cost?"
In response to Reply # 17

The ad campaigns that is.

Is there any set formula or way to tell how much a studio is putting up for a project they're promoting? Or is it a kind of negligble sum? Obviously, if an ad campaign fails then that hurts the box office, but does it ever amount to an additional financial failure?

>I think the biggest issue was The Producers absolutely
>bombing. 45 million, big ad campaign, only made 19 in the US
>(and didn't even break even worldwide).

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 01:26 AM

21. "There's no way of really knowing"
In response to Reply # 20

Ad campaigns are becoming bigger and really adding to the risk. It's hard to know just how much an ad campaign costs (just as most budgets are BS). Some reports had studios spending, on average, 30 million per film.

More than ever, what to do with a film is a tough call. Tropic Thunder cost over 90 million? Do you really want to spend another 30 - 50 million promoting it? But if you don't, aren't you setting it up for failure? You know Meet Dave is bad but you have an agreement to give it a wide release? Do you really just let it die and just eat the budget as well as the bad press?

In terms of smaller indie films, the marketing can often be more expensive than the actual production budget. People are bashing Warner Brothers for dumping Slumdog Millionaire because it could be an Oscar contender but let's be real, what are the odds that film makes back the money its going to cost to promote it?

I really don't know that much on the actual specifics about film financing because it's all a sham. The studios claim every film loses money. POTC: Dead Man's Chest reportedly took a year to show a profit. The movie made a billion dollars (literally) and Disney was still saying it barely eeked its way into the black.

----

ricky_BUTLER
16899 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 09:44 AM

24. "Thanks."
In response to Reply # 21

>Ad campaigns are becoming bigger and really adding to the
>risk. It's hard to know just how much an ad campaign costs
>(just as most budgets are BS). Some reports had studios
>spending, on average, 30 million per film.

30 million for advertising? That's much bigger than I expected.

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 09:07 AM

23. "He saved the world in War Games. Have some respect."
In response to Reply # 0

lol

Seriously though. I think with the nostalgic factor, his parlay into "real theater" and his unusually stable Hollywood marriage, people are just rooting for the guy. with all the non-actors, Hollywood tabloid relationships and revolving door ways of Hollywood, maybe the people just want one "good guy" to stay afloat.

or maybe i just pulled that all out of my ass.

he saved the world though.
and taught us how to live.

http://fuck-your.blogspot.com (MUSIC)
http://eatmybigfat.blogspot.com (FOOD)
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer
http://www.last.fm/user/Dawgeatah

ricky_BUTLER
16899 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 09:47 AM

25. "But he actually killed two people in 1987."
In response to Reply # 23

I was damn near shocked to read that.

Obviously, I wasn't following movies and actors at age two, but I was surprised how relatively well that story has been pushed out of sight and mind when discussing him. People seem to have been run out of Hollywood for less severe acts than that before.

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 09:57 AM

26. "yeah. and rob lowe fucked an underaged girl and taped it."
In response to Reply # 25

hollywood has a very selective memory.

http://fuck-your.blogspot.com (MUSIC)
http://eatmybigfat.blogspot.com (FOOD)
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer
http://www.last.fm/user/Dawgeatah

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 12:53 PM

30. "Laura Bush killed someone in 1963. What's your point?"

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 03:03 PM

33. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 30

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 03:13 PM

34. "She ran a stop sign when she was 17"
In response to Reply # 33

And her boyfriend (the passenger in the car) died in the accident.

----

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 03:16 PM

35. "really? damn I never heard that."
In response to Reply # 34

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Gemini_Two_One
Charter member
11578 posts
Sat Sep-20-08 11:29 AM

38. "He was in the car she hit, not her passenger"
In response to Reply # 34

!sig!

Yeah, keep the crack raps up
That shit is double plus...whatever the fuck
Everybody’s afraid to say it just sucks
To watch talented muthafuckers pretending they sell drugs
- EL-P

scorpion
Charter member
29592 posts
Sat Sep-20-08 11:15 AM

37. "he got off light because it wasnt his fault...."

The Travels of Windimoto
iTunes, Napster, eMusic, Amazon, & 7digital

www.myspace.com/windimotomusic

www.windimoto.com - soon come

rwq

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 12:23 PM

27. "http://librarianwoes.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/jeff_jones.jpg BUELLER!"
In response to Reply # 0

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Fri Sep-19-08 02:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
36. "He still has a movie career?"
In response to Reply # 0

Weirdest hate thread in a long time....

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #402054 Previous topic | Next topic