Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #393176

Subject: "Man on Wire is 65/65 at Rotten Tomatoes still...." Previous topic | Next topic
B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Aug-08-08 08:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Man on Wire is 65/65 at Rotten Tomatoes still...."

On the heals of One Missed Call's bid for the perfect rotten score, Man on Wire is 100% in the good direction. have to figure a way to sneak away to see it this weekend. Any one see it yet? Thoughts?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Thoughts are I'm going to it today
Aug 08th 2008
great movie.
Aug 08th 2008
Pretty amazing.
Sep 04th 2008
Great movie, saw it this week.
Sep 04th 2008
Phenomenal movie
Sep 25th 2008
simply phenomenal movie
Sep 27th 2008
Just finished watching it
Feb 13th 2009
i guess ill peep this
Feb 13th 2009
more impressively it's an 89 on metacritic
Feb 13th 2009
Phonte's Movie in a Minute- "Man On Wire" (my review)
Feb 13th 2009
Damn this dude got stones. Blew it not catchin this on the big screen.
Sep 22nd 2009
It was dope!
Sep 22nd 2009
Let The Great World Spin, by Colum McCann
Sep 22nd 2009
Man, I was freaked out a couple times
Sep 29th 2009
Watched it on Sundance last night, as awesome as advertised
Sep 22nd 2009
the best was when he was talking about going around the pole
Sep 22nd 2009
That hide & go seek moment was funny. But what about the 1st guard.
Sep 22nd 2009

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Fri Aug-08-08 02:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Thoughts are I'm going to it today"
In response to Reply # 0

And this should be anchored.

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Fri Aug-08-08 06:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "great movie."
In response to Reply # 1

must be seen in theaters...

it's one of those rare movies you could recommend to any/every adult.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Thu Sep-04-08 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Pretty amazing."
In response to Reply # 0

I can be pretty cynical about these types of stunts and what they supposedly represent about the human spirit (what's that saying? sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?) but this hooked me. And yes, 9/11 does make it much more poignant. The story is incredible, but the filmmaking is good, too. I was very tired when I saw it, so I nodded off a bit during some of the parts about the planning, even though it was quite fascianting in its own way, but once they got to the execution of the wire walk, I was thrilled. Only criticism: every time they showed the guy riding a unicycle, it made it a little harder for me to root for him, because unicycles are the dumbest things ever. I see people riding them around town as if they're actually a viable form of transportation...FOH.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

connectpoliticditto
Member since Aug 29th 2006
2739 posts
Thu Sep-04-08 12:39 PM

4. "Great movie, saw it this week."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm kinda surprised at the 100% RottenTomatoes rating since that really hyped me up on it.

It kept my interest, and Phillippe Petit is a pretty likeable guy and animated storyteller. There was a little bit of fat they coulda trimmed IMO but I recommend it for anyone.

Lightfoot
Member since Jan 01st 2004
5265 posts
Thu Sep-25-08 01:50 PM

5. "Phenomenal movie"
In response to Reply # 0

I couldn't come even close to understanding how beautiful it might be to see the walk actually take place, even through still photos, until seeing it for myself...it's hard to explain, but when you see how it happened and all the obstacles overcome and listen to the participants talk about it, it feels like a completely pure occurrence, there was absolutely nothing contrived about the passion and commitment of the participants, the joy they got, the suspense preceding the accomplishment, etc. The absurdity that these people put so much dedication and planning into something that seems so frivolous, and that it created so much sincere passion and happiness, somehow makes it resonate even more. Like somehow by the end of it I was completely sold on their conviction that the towers were built just for Petit. Just totally gripping stuff, best movie I've seen in a long time.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Stones. Rocks. Subways. Blocks.

DonKnutts
Charter member
27064 posts
Sat Sep-27-08 07:15 PM

6. "simply phenomenal movie"
In response to Reply # 0

don't want to overhype it but it really is that good. surprisingly emotional as well. i was really affected.

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Fri Feb-13-09 02:01 AM

7. "Just finished watching it"
In response to Reply # 0

Really enjoyed it

One thing I did want to hear was how he felt about 9/11 not really the entire thing but His biggest accomplishment was crossing the WTC and then just seeing them go down. He did something no other person ever did

-----------------------------------------------------------------

dunk
Member since Aug 05th 2006
8024 posts
Fri Feb-13-09 02:02 AM

8. "i guess ill peep this"
In response to Reply # 0

i've been putting it off for a while. i just really had no desire to see this, even after the critical acclaim.

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Fri Feb-13-09 03:57 AM

9. "more impressively it's an 89 on metacritic"
In response to Reply # 0

making it the third highest ranking film in theatres
behind only
The Class (94)
and Waltz With Bashir (90)

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

taygravy
Charter member
6656 posts
Fri Feb-13-09 04:22 AM

10. "Phonte's Movie in a Minute- "Man On Wire" (my review)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aockRU_m4yU

www.theforeignexchangemusic.com

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Sep-22-09 12:23 PM

11. "Damn this dude got stones. Blew it not catchin this on the big screen."
In response to Reply # 0

Sundance channel is showing it now in case anyone else missed it & wants to peep. I missed the first 15 minutes or so but this doc certainly lived up to the hype. Crazy process to get it done but they did a nice job combining the reenactments with the actual footage & stills.

I lmao @ the stoner

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue Sep-22-09 12:43 PM

12. "It was dope!"
In response to Reply # 0

also on Facebook

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Sep-22-09 12:45 PM

13. "Let The Great World Spin, by Colum McCann"
In response to Reply # 0

If you loved Man On Wire, you should check out this novel.

Also, listen to the interview with McCann: http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/bw/bw090910colum_mccann

You can also read an excerpt from the book at that link.

Personally, I can't even read the bits about the tightrope walk without getting clammy hands and an urpy tummy. I very much doubt I could watch the movie, even knowing that it ends well.

The thing with the book, though, back to the book, McCann says he's book-ending the tightrope walk and the 2001 terrorist attacks -- and Silverblatt says that this is a book about women and McCann says he's probably right. I've only barely started it and I think it's lovely. McCann has a great voice.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Tue Sep-29-09 07:21 AM

17. "Man, I was freaked out a couple times"
In response to Reply # 13

Watched it last night on Sundance. Being TERRIFIED of heights, just thinking about what he was doing had me queezy. Seeing him up there setting it all up was even worse. But once he got going on the wire and began talking about it, it calmed me down a lot. Sort of like his main friend that helped him. Once he saw Petit on the wire and how much he was enjoying it, it settled him down.

Mole
Charter member
2869 posts
Tue Sep-22-09 01:28 PM

14. "Watched it on Sundance last night, as awesome as advertised"
In response to Reply # 0

A wonderful tribute to the insanity of the human spirit, not only that of Philippe Petit but of the architects and engineers who devised the WTC. Obviously 9/11 hangs heavy above the film, and I found the parallels between the two acts interesting even though it's never specifically mentioned. Of course, one used the WTC for carnage and the other for art and personal satisfaction.

I would like to know what Petit felt on 9/11, though, considering his deep connection to those two buildings.

___

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v318/75/122/810420595/n810420595_3955028_32.jpg

"You can't imbue awesomeness into something that actually sucks." - Steve Albini

http://www.mpsinger.com
http://twitter.com/mpsinger

thoughtprocess
Member since Nov 16th 2003
22223 posts
Tue Sep-22-09 01:33 PM

15. "the best was when he was talking about going around the pole "
In response to Reply # 0

hiding from the guard.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Sep-22-09 02:21 PM

16. "That hide & go seek moment was funny. But what about the 1st guard."
In response to Reply # 15

I could've sworn he said a guard was sitting there with his flashlight pointing towards them when they got up from underneath the tarp. But then they just tiptoed by him anyways? I didn't get that part.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #393176 Previous topic | Next topic