Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #348506

Subject: "Seriously though, if Spielberg isn't the GOAT then who is?" Previous topic | Next topic
Majhik101
Member since Sep 05th 2007
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 09:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Seriously though, if Spielberg isn't the GOAT then who is?"

I've never met any lover of film who didn't love at least one (more likely three or more) of his films dearly. The images weaved upon screen have practically shaped big cinema and become ingrained in some of our childhood memories. And i love artistic directors like Robert Altman, and quirky geniuses like David Lynch just the same but Spielberg is damn near the landlord. The man has made some of the most benchmarking and significant movies of every accessible genre, from historical (Schindler's List, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan), through sci-fi (E.T., Close Encounters, A.I.), and period (Empire of The Sun, The Color Purple, Catch Me If You Can), to fantasy and adventure (Jaws, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park), and that's just SOME of his directorial work. I mean, in the last three alone you have some of the most iconic images and characters ever to grace the big screen.

Through his guidance he's partly (perhaps even largely) responsible for some other grade-A work and franchises such as the Back to the Future series, the original Poltergeist (this is a Spielberg flick, Hooper even admitted so), Gremlins, the Goonies, the list goes on. I mean don't get me wrong, he's not perfect so-to-speak but then no director is. And maybe he's not the best auteur (Kubrick?), the most classy (Hitchcock?), most unique (Lynch?), most gangsta (Scorsese), or even the most original (who is, really?) but when u get down to it, no one brings all the elements together like Spielberg.

Hell, personally I think Kubrick is a notch above. But he ain't more GOAT than Spielberg for two reasons which it pains me to admit.

1) His films don't entertain like Spielberg's. Snobs will wince but it's true. And entertaining matters. Bare in mind Kubrick is my #1 but I can clearly see why no one else in my circle of friends has stolen my Kubrick DVD collection yet.

2) Output. While Kubrick's legendary perfectionism is well-appreciated, we could have done with more than one film a decade. I think he could have afforded to do that and still control every aspect just how he wanted. Look at Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonioni. Granted those guys didn't obtain Kubrick's level of universal celebrity but that's another thread, and has more to do with critical biasness and language, and cultural barriers, not to mention the Western superiority complex, within film making more than anything else.

Anyways back to Spielberg, I honestly want to know if he can be challenged for the crown. Can anyone convincingly claim that another director has surpassed Mr. Spielberg all-time? We're talking acclaim, cinematic accomplishments (artistic AND technical... think about the groundbreaking pyrotechnical work on Jaws, the CGI in E.T. and Jurassic Park, or even the researched authenticity of the Indiana Jones films), and yes box-office (three time Highest-Grossing-Movie-Ever title holder: Jaws, E.T., that dinosaur flick).... For real though let's discuss.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
well... Hitchcock made a ridiculous number of classics
Feb 06th 2008
Hitch is top 5... but I'm only in my 20s
Feb 06th 2008
      ha, Hitchcock has some stinkers
Feb 06th 2008
      Yeah Topaz was unbelievably bad. i thought i had the wrong flick
Feb 06th 2008
           RE: Yeah Topaz was unbelievably bad. i thought i had the wrong flick
Feb 06th 2008
                On the Waterfront IS a masterpiece.
Feb 06th 2008
      so this post is about nostalgia and familiarity.
Feb 06th 2008
      how bout...
Feb 06th 2008
           RE: how bout...
Feb 06th 2008
      oh... so this post is all about YOUR limited experience, then?
Feb 06th 2008
           yeah, i laughed at this as well
Feb 06th 2008
           kap, was there any need for that?
Feb 06th 2008
           yes... yes, there was.
Feb 06th 2008
                what are you, in your 90s?
Feb 06th 2008
                     if you are talking about 'greatest of ALL TIME'
Feb 06th 2008
                          you can still engage in a discussion
Feb 06th 2008
                               see... the problem is: I'M not in my 20s.
Feb 06th 2008
                                    if you feel that way, no
Feb 06th 2008
                                    by the way
Feb 06th 2008
                                         Spielberg did a lot of stuff before 1987
Feb 06th 2008
                                         a little bit of both, i'll admit.
Feb 06th 2008
                                         "this post aroused my curiosity" - AFKAP
Feb 07th 2008
                                              yes... AND?
Feb 07th 2008
                                    AFKAP ur not a master thespian when it comes to the cinema
Feb 06th 2008
                                         master thespian when it comes to film...wow
Feb 06th 2008
                                         when all else fails...
Feb 06th 2008
                                         i didn't want to say anything, bro... he sonned himself.
Feb 06th 2008
                                              so let me get this right...
Feb 06th 2008
                                                   he's not a master thespian dude. don't sweat it
Feb 06th 2008
                                                   i apologized because i sincerely felt sorry
Feb 06th 2008
                                                        RE: no you didn't.
Feb 07th 2008
                                                             and you know this HOW?
Feb 07th 2008
                                                                  because you're transparent.
Feb 07th 2008
                                                                  oh you're still here?
Feb 07th 2008
                                                                  Where did you apologize again?
Feb 07th 2008
                                                                       i inboxed him.
Feb 07th 2008
                                         master thespian???
Feb 07th 2008
                                              RE: master thespian???
Feb 07th 2008
                                                   i thought we were talking about DIRECTING... not ACTING.
Feb 07th 2008
                                                        lol it's amazing how bad u have it in for me
Feb 07th 2008
                                                             exaggeration will get you everything...
Feb 07th 2008
                                                                  homie, do whatever makes u feel big
Feb 07th 2008
           *acknowledges you*
Feb 06th 2008
I'd definitely take Spielberg over Kubrick.
Feb 06th 2008
u think Spielberg's best>Kubrick's best?
Feb 06th 2008
      There's simply more of Spielberg's best.
Feb 06th 2008
           oh i agree. i just wondered if u saw it the same way i see it.
Feb 06th 2008
                NOPE.
Feb 06th 2008
                     i used to be like you, lol.
Feb 06th 2008
                          You used to like better movies?
Feb 06th 2008
                               Kubrick's timeline runs right into Spielberg's.
Feb 06th 2008
                                    It was both snark and serious. If you're in your 20s...
Feb 06th 2008
                                         ^^^^master thespian of cinema^^^^
Feb 06th 2008
                                         u guys made too big a deal out of that comment
Feb 07th 2008
                                              LOL
Feb 07th 2008
                                              wow, i have a life but thanks for missing me
Feb 07th 2008
                                              I think you're gettin shit twisted, friend.
Feb 07th 2008
Christopher Nolan
Feb 06th 2008
LOL. dude, are YOU christopher nolan?
Feb 06th 2008
      hah
Feb 06th 2008
      Naw. Colin Farrell this week. Spilt personality.
Feb 07th 2008
Hitchcock. Dude shaped the game. Nuff said.
Feb 06th 2008
Kurosawa
Feb 06th 2008
NOT EVEN CLOSE
Feb 06th 2008
Will Smith
Feb 06th 2008
he's quite versatile
Feb 06th 2008
Aw, hell naw
Feb 07th 2008
there are such things as foreign directors
Feb 06th 2008
Wrong on all fronts!
Feb 06th 2008
the hate you have for Kubrick
Feb 06th 2008
I disagree
Feb 07th 2008
this is a pretty darned good analogy
Feb 07th 2008
      yep... and dude is calling ME pretentious.
Feb 07th 2008
           I'd say Kubrick has about 4 great films.
Feb 07th 2008
RE: Seriously though, if Spielberg isn't the GOAT then who is?
Feb 06th 2008
^^ as always, the voice of reason ^^
Feb 07th 2008
I'm saying. McDonalds serves more burgers than anyone in the...
Feb 07th 2008
good response
Feb 07th 2008
Tyler Perry!
Feb 07th 2008

The Damaja
Member since Aug 02nd 2003
18637 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 09:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "well... Hitchcock made a ridiculous number of classics"
In response to Reply # 0

where do you rank him?

--------------------
Why do you choose to mimic these wack MCs?
Why do you choose to listen to R&B?

"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to." Leela

*puts emceeing in a box*

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 09:58 AM

2. "Hitch is top 5... but I'm only in my 20s"
In response to Reply # 1

and I'm far less likely to experience the impact of Hitchcock's films or bare witness to how his work shaped cinema (i mean we can all read critiques but it's not personal knowledge), and on top of that, aside from his most classic work, some of his films haven't aged too well.

They're very much of their time which isn't necessarily a bad thing, except for when we're assessing who's All-Time. then it's a really detrimental factor. Add to that the fact that Hitchock stayed within his comfort zone far too much (suspense-thriller, suspense-romance, romance-tragedy, suspense-romance-tragedy, suspense-romance-tragedy-with-psycho-birds) and u have an honorable but losing argument for ole Hitch.

Or how do you see it?

The Damaja
18637 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:08 AM

4. "ha, Hitchcock has some stinkers"
In response to Reply # 2

Topaz is one of the worst things i've ever switched off halfway through

i don't have much to add. i agree Speilberg's output is incredible, from The Duel to Minority Report or Munich (haven't seen any more recent than that)

hmm. the thing with me is, i don't give the directors as much credit as other people give, to me it's more the screenplay that's the main thing. with that said, Orson Welles, Elia Kazan, and Wayne Wang have all made a few films that have affected me more deeply than anything else, but i don't really think in terms of their overall output

--------------------

"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to." Leela

*puts emceeing in a box*

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:14 AM

6. "Yeah Topaz was unbelievably bad. i thought i had the wrong flick"
In response to Reply # 4

>i don't have much to add. i agree Speilberg's output is
>incredible, from The Duel to Minority Report or Munich
>(haven't seen any more recent than that)

Munich was his last release, Indy 4 is next.

>hmm. the thing with me is, i don't give the directors as much
>credit as other people give, to me it's more the screenplay
>that's the main thing. with that said, Orson Welles, Elia
>Kazan, and Wayne Wang have all made a few films that have
>affected me more deeply than anything else, but i don't really
>think in terms of their overall output

I see. Welles, I can appreciate from a historical standpoint but I didn't like Citizen Kane the first (and only time) i watched it. I will give it another go though. Can't really speak on Kazan and Wang since i'm not familiar with their work, though I have heard Kazan's name numerous times. Hip me to it, I may be in agreeance.

The Damaja
18637 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 11:19 AM

15. "RE: Yeah Topaz was unbelievably bad. i thought i had the wrong flick"
In response to Reply # 6

>
>>i don't have much to add. i agree Speilberg's output is
>>incredible, from The Duel to Minority Report or Munich
>>(haven't seen any more recent than that)
>
>Munich was his last release, Indy 4 is next.
>
>>hmm. the thing with me is, i don't give the directors as
>much
>>credit as other people give, to me it's more the screenplay
>>that's the main thing. with that said, Orson Welles, Elia
>>Kazan, and Wayne Wang have all made a few films that have
>>affected me more deeply than anything else, but i don't
>really
>>think in terms of their overall output
>
>I see. Welles, I can appreciate from a historical standpoint
>but I didn't like Citizen Kane the first (and only time) i
>watched it.

hmm, with me it was like 'I can't believe this just lived up to the hype'. but i've met quite a few people or recommended it to quite a few people who didn't like it especially

I will give it another go though. Can't really
>speak on Kazan and Wang since i'm not familiar with their
>work, though I have heard Kazan's name numerous times. Hip me
>to it, I may be in agreeance.

Kazan's masterpiece is 'On The Waterfront', it's also Marlon Brando's masterpiece, and Bud Schulberg (screenwriter). tied with citizen kane for my favourite film ever; but where Citizen Kane is more intellectual, this is more emotional. it is so compelling. Kazan is sometimes criticized for not 'framing shots' especially well, but IMO he's just a different breed - the composition of his shots is all about what's in the middle of them, the way great painters arranged the way people stood etc, rather than what's at the edge of them like more photographic minded people think about. Wild River has brilliant photography/cinematography for instance. Other than OTW, East of Eden and Streetcar Named Desire are his two most famous; there's also one called Splendour in the Grass which is supposed to be amazing but i'm finding difficulty getting hold of it

Wayne Wang directed Smoke and The Joy Luck Club, two of the most beautiful celebrations of the human spirit you're likely to find. Smoke is sort of like Pulp Fiction in structure but it's not about seediness, it's very positive. Joy Luck Club, is also a sprawling story with many characters, but have way through the film it will turn you into an emotional wreck and it doesn't let up lol

--------------------

*puts emceeing in a box*

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 11:32 AM

19. "On the Waterfront IS a masterpiece."
In response to Reply # 15

I know exactly what u mean about the framing etc. He's kind of like the opposite of a Kubrick in that respects. It's more emotive than perfect. I thought the score was a little too busy at times but that's a minor gripe and plus it's the 50s. Streetcar is also a great work of drama. i don't know why Kazan's name didn't stick with me but I intend to see more of his work. I love that whole period.

Wang sounds interesting, and I'm big on Tarantino so I'll look that up as well.

natural
Charter member
4632 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "so this post is about nostalgia and familiarity."
In response to Reply # 2

>and I'm far less likely to experience the impact of
>Hitchcock's films or bare witness to how his work shaped
>cinema (i mean we can all read critiques but it's not personal
>knowledge), and on top of that, aside from his most classic
>work, some of his films haven't aged too well.

and a little bit of context.

learn a thing or two, guy.

"Quienes argumentan que el arte no debe propagar doctrinas, se refieren a doctrinas contrarias a las suyas" - Jorge Luis Borges

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:30 AM

10. "how bout..."
In response to Reply # 8
Wed Feb-06-08 10:31 AM by Majhik101

u fuck off somewhere. don't got nothing substantial to say? then STFU.

FYI, I've probably seen more Hitch flicks than U know of. And that was before I even knew who he was.

natural
Charter member
4632 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 04:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
43. "RE: how bout..."
In response to Reply # 10

>u fuck off somewhere. don't got nothing substantial to say?
>then STFU.
>
>FYI, I've probably seen more Hitch flicks than U know of. And
>that was before I even knew who he was.

some people learn quicker than others.

"Quienes argumentan que el arte no debe propagar doctrinas, se refieren a doctrinas contrarias a las suyas" - Jorge Luis Borges

Orfeo_Negro
Member since Oct 24th 2004
20923 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 11:09 AM

13. "oh... so this post is all about YOUR limited experience, then?"
In response to Reply # 2

LOL

"Do you know what a nerd is? A nerd is a human being without enough Africa in him or her." © Brian Eno, "A Year With Swollen Appendices"

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 11:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "yeah, i laughed at this as well"
In response to Reply # 13

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

The Damaja
18637 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 11:22 AM

18. "kap, was there any need for that?"

PTPers
smh

--------------------

*puts emceeing in a box*

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 01:02 PM

24. "yes... yes, there was."
In response to Reply # 18

if you don't find it hilarious when someone makes a post about "the GREATEST OF ALL TIME" directors and then counters the first answer given with "I'm only in my 20s"... well, you've just got a different sense of humor from me.

why didn't he just say that Spielberg is the "GOMLT"?

"Do you know what a nerd is? A nerd is a human being without enough Africa in him or her." © Brian Eno, "A Year With Swollen Appendices"

The Damaja
18637 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 01:19 PM

25. "what are you, in your 90s?"
In response to Reply # 24

at least he was being honest about his POV
and besides, he wasn't admitting to not having SEEN hitchcock's films, he was just trying to allow some leeway for differing perspectives

it's a valid topic with a well thought out post

--------------------

*puts emceeing in a box*

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 01:31 PM

27. "if you are talking about 'greatest of ALL TIME'"
In response to Reply # 25

then i don't think your actual chronological age should even really come into the discussion. either you do the knowledge of history (ie "ALL TIME") or you don't.

by offering up "I am in my 20s" as some kind of valid premis for the post, you have effectively made YOURSELF the subject of the post.

in that case, just be honest and say "my concept of 'ALL TIME' does not extend beyond my own personal lifetime'"

and then i'll know to avoid the post.

The Damaja
18637 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 01:38 PM

28. "you can still engage in a discussion"
In response to Reply # 27

ultimately all you're going to be doing is mentioning the qualities and works of various filmmakers, the framing of the overall debate doesn't make that much difference...

this guy didn't make the post with any ill intent but some of the replies are, well, rude

--------------------

*puts emceeing in a box*

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 01:57 PM

29. "see... the problem is: I'M not in my 20s."
In response to Reply # 28

so when dude introduces the wrinkle that any filmmaker i cite must be appreciated from the POV of the aggregate 20-year-old... well, there's really no point going on with it after that, is there?

The Damaja
18637 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 02:02 PM

30. "if you feel that way, no"
In response to Reply # 29

but laughing at the dude is a bit much; again, he was just being wise and considering there are various factors outwith his control that might make him appreciate Hitchcock less - he also gave solid reasons/arguments on top

--------------------

*puts emceeing in a box*

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 03:14 PM

39. "by the way"
In response to Reply # 30

>considering there are various factors outwith
>his control that might make him appreciate Hitchcock less - he
>also gave solid reasons/arguments on top

his reasons/arguments were pretty crappy, IMHO

"Hitchcock stayed in his comfort zone"? what does THAT mean?

is yet another parameter that the director who essays the *widest* array of genres is the best?

that's kind of like the moronic argument that thrives in the Lesson and would have you believe that a musician who plays 6 instruments in a medicore fashion is superior to one who concentrates on mastering a single instrument inside out and in fact, expands the vocabulary for that instrument.

the argument that Hitchcock's films are "of their time" is similarly ridiculous.

what ISN'T "of its time"? E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial isn't? Invasion of the Body Snatchers? Amblin? Sugarland Express? Jaws? Schindler's List? Jurassic Park?

they are ALL "of their time"... the poster just doesn't think they are because since many of them occurred in his lifetime, he probably feels he can "relate better" to them.

so essentially, once again it comes down to his own limited experience being a central parameter.

The Damaja
18637 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 06:54 PM

45. "Spielberg did a lot of stuff before 1987"
In response to Reply # 39

obviously his general statements don't constitute thorough criticism but if you engage someone in conversation, they'll flesh out their arguments.

it's strange that you would think it not worth your time entering the discussion... but worth your time to insult the OP

i'm putting this down to either a bad day at the office or the insidious atmosphere of PTP, lol

--------------------

*puts emceeing in a box*

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 07:49 PM

46. "a little bit of both, i'll admit."
In response to Reply # 45

>i'm putting this down to either a bad day at the office or the
>insidious atmosphere of PTP, lol

also, i won't deny having a slight hard-on for the poster, who has frequently been quite rude to me in posts

but axes to grind aside, objectively speaking, i do not think that he offers a worthy argument at all. i'm offended enough to hear someone suggest that Spielberg is better than Hitchcock, but opinions are opinions. his justification for his opinion, however, just does not hold water, IMO

he was the one who brought up the fact that he was in his 20s, and hence, could not "feel the impact" of Hitchcock. with that kind of logic, any director who retired or died before the 1980s has no chance!

sure, Spielberg had done plenty of work before the 80s, as had Kubrick, for whom the poster also professed admiration. but the fact that they continued to work through the 80s, 90s and 00s (and in Spielberg's case, still continues to work) he can at least say that they were active during his lifetime, and hence he "felt their impact" in a way that he could not feel Hitchcock, who died in 1980, before he was born.

basically, it's the same kind of logic that rules those MTV, VH1 and BET countdowns of "The Greatest _______ OF ALL TIME!!" where 75% of the lists are always drawn from the past 5 years.

and even if you look past the whole "i wasn't alive to feel the impact" thing, the argument is still lame... talking about Spielberg's technical innovations, but not giving the same regard to Hitchcock's considerable innovations just because he didn't live long enough to create computer-generated dinosaurs.

basically, it's an argument without context and thus, without merit.

Majhik101
1482 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 02:33 AM

57. ""this post aroused my curiosity" - AFKAP"
In response to Reply # 39

http://www.zshare.net/image/7273201ee16544/

u changed your opinion of this post pretty quickly. i wonder if that was before or after u got mad. in any case, look, it was interesting. won't be coming back here so you can have ur little victory. i know u need it badly.

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 05:11 AM

59. "yes... AND?"
In response to Reply # 57

i said the post aroused my curiosity.

didn't say i thought it was a GOOD ARGUMENT, though.

i was curious to see how on earth one would justify saying that Spielberg was the GOAT... and yes, it turned out to be just as tunnel-sighted and silly as i expected it to be.

you should have just accepted the apology when it was offered in good faith instead of acting like a baby, btw. and airing out the inbox i sent you is quite a bitchass move that doesn't aid your position at all.

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 02:11 PM

31. "AFKAP ur not a master thespian when it comes to the cinema"
In response to Reply # 29

i've seen u talking down to a lot of ppl and presuming to have some kind of educated voice while drawing out pointless debates over trivial points like u're trying to do right now. truth is i did not bring my age into anything i mentioned it fleetingly while making my main point, that people of my generation, and indeed the generation before would not have FELT the impact of Hitchock's films. Even though u had no reason to, you assumed that to mean that I was admitting to not knowing much film history.

In the first place knowing about Hitchock isn't some sort of standard. You can start anywhere. Secondly i know my Hitchock very well because i'm a fan, not because i want to impress snobs like urself. thirdly, u're no more "experienced" than me since YOU weren't around during Hitch's heyday either. This whole argument is stupid and has nothing to do with the main thread but that's what usually happens whenever u enter a thread and don't feel like u have the commanding voice. you draw attention to urself. no point replying dude, i think i've said everything i need to say.

navajo joe
6569 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 02:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "master thespian when it comes to film...wow"
In response to Reply # 31

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 02:26 PM

34. "when all else fails..."
In response to Reply # 32

http://www.websnark.com/archives/snark-thumb.jpg

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 02:27 PM

35. "i didn't want to say anything, bro... he sonned himself."
In response to Reply # 32

i honestly didn't come into this post to be an asshole, though... so i'll just let it be.

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 02:34 PM

36. "so let me get this right..."
In response to Reply # 35

i started a thread to talk about film, u came in here, waited for some other guy to be an asshole, jumped on the bandwagon, defended ur unprovoked antagonism, i finally responded without insults, and I somehow "sonned" myself? well, okay. Victory to you then. I just wanted to talk about film. not my age.

> i honestly didn't come into this post to be an asshole,
>though... so i'll just let it be.

mmm. yea. tell you what, next time why not TRY to engage in some convo instead of being so insecure. then u won't have to offer a half-hearted apology for being an ass.

navajo joe
6569 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 02:49 PM

37. "he's not a master thespian dude. don't sweat it"
In response to Reply # 36

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 02:54 PM

38. "i apologized because i sincerely felt sorry"
In response to Reply # 36
Wed Feb-06-08 02:56 PM by Orfeo_Negro

for sort of derailing your wack post

but if you want to keep the fire burning, i'd be glad to.

FOH complaining about me talking about your age when YOU brought that shit up!

Wrongthink
Member since Sep 29th 2006
4874 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 02:28 AM

56. "RE: no you didn't."
In response to Reply # 38

...says Wrongthink

Real talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12JJv6yCk7Q

Current Rotation:

Shad - TSOL
Onra - Long Distance
Cool Kids - Tacklebox
Shabazz Palaces

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 05:07 AM

58. "and you know this HOW?"
In response to Reply # 56

Majhik101
1482 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 05:51 AM

66. "because you're transparent."
In response to Reply # 58

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 05:59 AM

68. "oh you're still here?"
In response to Reply # 66

thought you had set up camp at IMDB...

Wrongthink
Member since Sep 29th 2006
4874 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 01:06 PM

74. "Where did you apologize again?"
In response to Reply # 58

...says Wrongthink

Real talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12JJv6yCk7Q

Current Rotation:

Shad - TSOL
Onra - Long Distance
Cool Kids - Tacklebox
Shabazz Palaces

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 01:16 PM

76. "i inboxed him."
In response to Reply # 74
Thu Feb-07-08 01:21 PM by Orfeo_Negro

in fact, check post #57... he zshared the inbox.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts

65. "master thespian???"
In response to Reply # 31

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Majhik101
1482 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 05:55 AM

67. "RE: master thespian???"
In response to Reply # 65

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Thespian

"Master Thespian was a ruthlessly ambitious egomanaical actor who spoke with a plummy "Shakespearean" English accent and often elicited the sympathy of other characters in the sketch, only to reveal the ruse by declaring his catchphrase, "Acting!"

i guess it went over your heads. nevermind. i was expecting too much from this stuffy place to begin with.

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 06:08 AM

69. "i thought we were talking about DIRECTING... not ACTING."
In response to Reply # 67

LOL... i didn't want to make an enormous deal about you using the wrong terminology since we all make slips of the tongue once in a while... but the fact that you tried to justify it and claim that your reference went "over the heads" of the people who pointed out your mistake...

well... if that ain't pretentious--and downright stupid--i don't know what is.

maybe you SHOULD go to IMDB. i think you'd be much more comfortable with that lot.

Majhik101
1482 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 06:18 AM

70. "lol it's amazing how bad u have it in for me"
In response to Reply # 69

i think u've showed up in like every thread i've ever started in PTP. u must be carrying a grudge of some form. it's kind of funny. how old are you? 35? 40? that's not a good look. there were some responses in here that disagreed with my argument (which i was expecting) without the snark and elitism (we're talking about movies for goodness sakes lol). it's not good to be mad at the world all the time.

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 06:40 AM

72. "exaggeration will get you everything..."
In response to Reply # 70

>i think u've showed up in like every thread i've ever started
>in PTP.

really?

apart from the Comic of the Week post, i can't even remember the last time i posted in PTP. and i don't even post that much in COTW, either. go ahead... do a search!

so there's really no need to lie in order to make yourself feel better for getting pwned. and not even by me... by yourself.

>u must be carrying a grudge of some form. it's kind of
>funny. how old are you? 35? 40? that's not a good look.

don't try to make this about ME and MY age, m'lad... YOU were the one who made your age an issue, and continues to do so even while trying to backpedal from that laughably weak point.

i already admitted above that i do enjoy pushing your buttons (until you start to cry... and then i feel remorseful) but the bottom line is that your argument in this post sucked. that's why you are getting clowned... not because anybody has beef with you.

your post sucked. it's okay... we all make bad posts once in a while and we get clowned for them. what you do at a time like that is man up, take the ribbing and move on,.

what YOU do is burst into tears and run away from OKP for 9 months.

there
>were some responses in here that disagreed with my argument
>(which i was expecting) without the snark and elitism (we're
>talking about movies for goodness sakes lol). it's not good to
>be mad at the world all the time.

you're very bad at this... you are making it worse for yourself.

i attacked your argument, and you continue to (make flimsy attempts to) attack ME personally. i don't want to unleash on you because i know you can't handle it. despite all the snark and everything, i can honestly say that it is never my intention to hurt someone else's feelings... but if you want to go there, i'll make sure you stay away from the boards for 2 years this time.

i wonder if i should start by publishing the tearful inbox you sent me last time you ran away, just as you chose to air out my inbox...

Majhik101
1482 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 06:57 AM

73. "homie, do whatever makes u feel big"
In response to Reply # 72

>i attacked your argument, and you continue to (make flimsy
>attempts to) attack ME personally. i don't want to unleash on
>you because i know you can't handle it. despite all the snark
>and everything, i can honestly say that it is never my
>intention to hurt someone else's feelings... but if you want
>to go there, i'll make sure you stay away from the boards for
>2 years this time.

please do that. i go where i want when i want, dont flatter urself. like i said u must really have it in for me. "unleash" on me.

>i wonder if i should start by publishing the tearful inbox you
>sent me last time you ran away, just as you chose to air out
>my inbox...

ooohh yeah. son me. that time when u apologized was precisely how i knew this "apology" u offered again was just more bs. remember i had no problem with u back then? and u kept on coming at me like i stole ur girl or something. but yeah if it will make u feel big, post the inbox. i have nothing to be embarrassed about.

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 11:33 AM

20. "*acknowledges you*"

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:06 AM

3. "I'd definitely take Spielberg over Kubrick."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:09 AM

5. "u think Spielberg's best>Kubrick's best?"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Feb-06-08 10:10 AM by Majhik101

?

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:21 AM

7. "There's simply more of Spielberg's best."
In response to Reply # 5

What's more, I'd say if you rank and line up Spielberg's 10 best and Kubrick's 10 best, 7 or 8 of the 10 Spielberg films would be better than the Kubrick films.

Spielberg's body of work is stronger, deeper, and overall just plain better.

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:28 AM

9. "oh i agree. i just wondered if u saw it the same way i see it."
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Feb-06-08 10:29 AM by Majhik101

>What's more, I'd say if you rank and line up Spielberg's 10
>best and Kubrick's 10 best, 7 or 8 of the 10 Spielberg films
>would be better than the Kubrick films.

true. off the top i think Kubrick made around 12 flicks though lol. it's not much of a contest if we're talking bodies of work.

>Spielberg's body of work is stronger, deeper, and overall just
>plain better.

overall, yes.

edit: Paths Of Glory>Saving Private Ryan

sorry couldn't resist, lol.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:41 AM

11. "NOPE."
In response to Reply # 9

>edit: Paths Of Glory>Saving Private Ryan

Wrong (c) Charlie Murphy

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:43 AM

12. "i used to be like you, lol."
In response to Reply # 11

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 12:36 PM

23. "You used to like better movies?"
In response to Reply # 12

Besides, I'm in my 20s, so I haven't seen the impact of Kubrick's films in the same way I'm seeing Spielberg's.

Majhik101
1482 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 02:22 PM

33. "Kubrick's timeline runs right into Spielberg's."
In response to Reply # 23

was that snark? or are u being serious?

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 03:58 PM

40. "It was both snark and serious. If you're in your 20s..."
In response to Reply # 33

...then you remember one or maybe two Kubrick films, and Full Metal Jacker would've been in your childhood.

I am also in my 20s, and only vividly remember Eyes Wide Shut, which was a failure. I was too young when FMJ came out.

The point I was snarkily trying to make is that just because you're after the era of a director clearly doesn't mean you don't learn about them or understand their effect. Shit, you put Paths of Glory above Saving Private Ryan, a movie whose impact on filmmaking just from the first scene alone is pretty huge. Yet you still prefer Paths of Glory.

That's why you can still measure up Hitchcock's talent and effect despite coming after his era. By watching the films, and putting two and two together as an intelligent cinephile. That's why posters like Orfeo Negro and myself are giving you a hard time, because you don't need to be in your 60s to appreciate Orson Welles as one of the greatest of all time. Comprende?

We're not trying to bully you, and it is an interesting post. Just don't dismiss your knowledge on something because of your age, when you clearly know a lot about filmmakers who are from before your time.

navajo joe
6569 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 04:20 PM

42. "^^^^master thespian of cinema^^^^"
In response to Reply # 40

Majhik101
1482 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 02:10 AM

54. "u guys made too big a deal out of that comment"
In response to Reply # 40

>We're not trying to bully you, and it is an interesting post.
>Just don't dismiss your knowledge on something because of your
>age, when you clearly know a lot about filmmakers who are from
>before your time.

it wasn't supposed to reflect my knowledge or interest in films before my time. if anything it was a respectful admission KNOWING that you are a few years older than me. I was simply trying to offer you a younger man's perspective. my interest in older films doesn't come from an urge to obtain superior knowledge (like AFKAP for example) and debate furiously over non-issues in attempt to appear smarter, and more seasoned. No. it's because I lover older films, newer films and all the ones inbetween.

I love American films, foreign films, silent films, doesn't matter. i'm fascinated by films that are clearly dated and off their time (and yes Hitch's films are OF THE TIME, that's why the remakes were updated so drastically - with mixed results of course). Those films aren't just entertaining but also educational in that they are snapshots of eras that neither I, or anyone else throwing jabs in this thread, will ever be able to personally experience. They're not films set in 1930s, they ARE films from the 1930s. That does not mean i consider them any less of a classic. Why is it that anytime someone admits to having a certain perspective on a topic, he gets attacked for it? All of you have your own perspectives on this. As passionate as you all may be NONE OF YOU were old enough to have sat in the cinema during Hitch's heyday either so where all this pseudo-lecturing stems from, i don't know. Anyways, i'm done with this place. IMDB may have a crappy layout but it's much less pretentious.

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 05:24 AM

60. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 54

>it wasn't supposed to reflect my knowledge or interest in
>films before my time. if anything it was a respectful
>admission KNOWING that you are a few years older than me. I
>was simply trying to offer you a younger man's perspective. my
>interest in older films doesn't come from an urge to obtain
>superior knowledge (like AFKAP for example) and debate
>furiously over non-issues in attempt to appear smarter, and
>more seasoned. No. it's because I lover older films, newer
>films and all the ones inbetween.

excuses, excuses! like trying to get the toothpaste back into the tube!

>I love American films, foreign films, silent films, doesn't
>matter. i'm fascinated by films that are clearly dated and off
>their time (and yes Hitch's films are OF THE TIME, that's why
>the remakes were updated so drastically -

yeah? Gus Van Sant's Psycho was "updated drastically"?

>Those films aren't just entertaining but also
>educational in that they are snapshots of eras that neither I,
>or anyone else throwing jabs in this thread, will ever be able
>to personally experience.

of course, we can all experience the eras of Schindler's List, The Color Purple, Catch Me If You Can, Indiana Jones and Munich

They're not films set in 1930s, they
>ARE films from the 1930s.

okay, then... and?

so i guess Jaws is kinda weak to you because it's not just a film about the 70s, it IS a film from the 70s!

That does not mean i consider them
>any less of a classic. Why is it that anytime someone admits
>to having a certain perspective on a topic, he gets attacked
>for it?

only when the perspective is stupid.

admitting a particular perspective does not automatically make one invulnerable to criticism, you know.

All of you have your own perspectives on this. As
>passionate as you all may be NONE OF YOU were old enough to
>have sat in the cinema during Hitch's heyday either so where
>all this pseudo-lecturing stems from, i don't know.

i still don't understand what any of this has to do with anything.

is art not eternal?

the fact that i can watch Hitchcock's films years after his death and still appreciate them is actually a TESTAMENT to his greatness, not a DAMPER upon it.

it looks to me like you're interested in discussing which director is "the hottest"... not "the greatest"

Anyways,
>i'm done with this place. IMDB may have a crappy layout but
>it's much less pretentious.

LMAO! about to take another OKP break for a few months, are we, m'lad?

i love how you run away like your diaper's on fire any time someone disagrees with you here. i recommend a small dose of Man-Up, but have fun at IMDB!

Majhik101
1482 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 05:44 AM

63. "wow, i have a life but thanks for missing me"
In response to Reply # 60

you're too far off base for me to continue.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 01:24 PM

78. "I think you're gettin shit twisted, friend."
In response to Reply # 54

No one's attacking you because of pretentiousness. We're simply saying that you can still understand the full impact of a director's body of work even if you weren't alive during that time.

I'm just confused as to your original point. So is Spielberg the GOAT, or the GOAT of your generation?

BTW, I'm just as young if not younger than you, so I think I understand the point you're trying to make. But you dismissed Hitchcock as only a Top 5, because you weren't there to experience his films... or something.

I guess I just need further clarification of why your age was relevant to the argument you were trying to make against Hitch being the GOAT.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 11:10 AM

14. "Christopher Nolan"
In response to Reply # 0

navajo joe
6569 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 11:21 AM

16. "LOL. dude, are YOU christopher nolan?"
In response to Reply # 14

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:03 PM

48. "hah"
In response to Reply # 16

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 01:23 PM

77. "Naw. Colin Farrell this week. Spilt personality."
In response to Reply # 16
Thu Feb-07-08 01:25 PM by jigga

Do yourself a favor & don't see me new film In Burges. I gave it me all but overall it's pretty rubbish.

*Off to the pub*

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 12:07 PM

21. "Hitchcock. Dude shaped the game. Nuff said."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/I_gotcha.gif
http://fuck-your.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer
http://www.last.fm/user/Dawgeatah

navajo joe
6569 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 12:34 PM

22. "Kurosawa"
In response to Reply # 0

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 01:27 PM

26. "NOT EVEN CLOSE"
In response to Reply # 0

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 04:19 PM

41. "Will Smith"
In response to Reply # 0

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 04:57 PM

44. "he's quite versatile"
In response to Reply # 41

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 01:10 PM

75. "Aw, hell naw"
In response to Reply # 41

Lame, but I had to say it.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 08:10 PM

47. "there are such things as foreign directors"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-06-08 08:12 PM by Deebot

many of them are really good and probably influenced your boy

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 10:08 PM

49. "Wrong on all fronts!"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-06-08 10:18 PM by DrNO

And really, worshiping at the alter of Kubrick is pretty sophomoric.

He was an asshole who made asshole movies with expensive bullshit. He's the Pink Floyd of the film industry.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 11:50 PM

51. "the hate you have for Kubrick"
In response to Reply # 49

is more off-base than heavy praise for him though

Arch Stanton
Member since Jul 11th 2006
629 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 01:00 AM

53. "I disagree"

But that was some funny shit.

natural
Charter member
4632 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 02:18 AM

55. "this is a pretty darned good analogy"

>He was an asshole who made asshole movies with expensive
>bullshit. He's the Pink Floyd of the film industry.

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 05:29 AM

61. "yep... and dude is calling ME pretentious."
In response to Reply # 55

the Kubrick nutlove struck me as a really predictable gambit to buttress his lame argument by hyping up a "serious auteur" in addition to a "popular entertainer" like Spielberg.

i tend to be VERY suspicious of people who overpraise Kubrick.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 06:22 AM

71. "I'd say Kubrick has about 4 great films."
In response to Reply # 61

And a couple of others that are enjoyable.

But that's about it. No hate-o, it's just reeeeeeeally hard to make lots of classics when you're so emotionally removed from what you're putting on the screen.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Wed Feb-06-08 11:08 PM

50. "RE: Seriously though, if Spielberg isn't the GOAT then who is?"
In response to Reply # 0

>1) His films don't entertain like Spielberg's. Snobs will
>wince but it's true. And entertaining matters. Bare in mind
>Kubrick is my #1 but I can clearly see why no one else in my
>circle of friends has stolen my Kubrick DVD collection yet.

While I like some not all Kubrick, he's entertaining in a different sense. Some people find Persona pleasing for aesthetic or intellectual reasons. Take The Wire. It's unflinching, it's not dominantly titillative action and is entertaining.

>2) Output. While Kubrick's legendary perfectionism is
>well-appreciated, we could have done with more than one film a
>decade. I think he could have afforded to do that and still
>control every aspect just how he wanted.

I don't know what Kubrick's circumstances were and why he wasn't banging out movies left and right.

Small output can be due to not finding $ to make a movie. Critically acclaimed/big name/major directors have struggled and still will unfortunately.

I'd guess many like to get things right before making a movie, don't work if they're not inspired, or just plain work slow.

Admittedly some directors make it hard for themselves to get a movie made whether it's their personality, grudges, and lack of business sense. Some just plain look to alternative avenues of finance and production.

A director w/ more bouts of creative block isn't automatically a lesser director than one who has less bouts of such or none.

Yang, Erice, Davies, Kubrick, etc. aren't lesser directors b/c they haven't made many feature-lengths.

>Anyways back to Spielberg, I honestly want to know if he can
>be challenged for the crown. Can anyone convincingly claim
>that another director has surpassed Mr. Spielberg all-time?
>We're talking acclaim

Acclaim (in terms of # and degree) is largely dependent on whether or not the director's work is screened a lot and in many places which is mostly dependent on ownership, access to the film, $, distribution, and marketing. Not all critics and reviewers spend their time at film archives or festivals.

>cinematic accomplishments (artistic AND
>technical... think about the groundbreaking pyrotechnical work
>on Jaws, the CGI in E.T. and Jurassic Park, or even the
>researched authenticity of the Indiana Jones films)

Cinematic accomplishments, if the term is what I think you mean, should matter much more than acclaim and box-office. However, it shouldn't matter if it's groundbreaking or on the vanguard of emerging technologies.

>box-office (three time Highest-Grossing-Movie-Ever title
>holder: Jaws, E.T., that dinosaur flick)

I disagree w/ this the most. Box-office figures are dependent partly on distribution and marketing $. However, we shouldn't discount the moviegoers' role (a huge one) in this.

Most importantly, large box-office figures are skewed by more theatre screens today than the 80s, 70s, etc.

Don't overlook the size of film industries, too. Pictures backed by the major studios have a ridiculous advantage in getting seen. Hell, foreign countries don't give their own films a chance. American films rule the screens in South Korea today, for example.

To to go by your parameters is honestly hard for me b/c 2 of 'em don't matter to me.

On the other hand, to go by your criteria, off the top, I'd bring up Chaplin and Keaton especially b/c of the box-office/popular element. They were prolific, highly acclaimed, highly accomplished, and extremely popular.

It's important to note that you're excluding lots of masters of cinema b/c of your criteria.

Orfeo_Negro
20923 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 05:43 AM

62. "^^ as always, the voice of reason ^^"
In response to Reply # 50

good post.

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 01:24 PM

79. "I'm saying. McDonalds serves more burgers than anyone in the..."
In response to Reply # 62

... world. But do they make the best burgers?

Yeah.
Excuse the metaphor.
I haven't had lunch yet.

http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/I_gotcha.gif
http://fuck-your.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer
http://www.last.fm/user/Dawgeatah

Majhik101
1482 posts

64. "good response"
In response to Reply # 50

i'll pass on responding here though. the level of elitism in this forum is off-putting.

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Thu Feb-07-08 12:11 AM

52. "Tyler Perry!"
In response to Reply # 0

No wait... Brian Robbins!

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #348506 Previous topic | Next topic