Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #333640

Subject: "OkayIndustryTypes: I just totally bombed an audition, lol." Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Thu Nov-29-07 09:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OkayIndustryTypes: I just totally bombed an audition, lol."

It's just for a small theater rendition of Eric Bogosian's subUrbia, but man. I stuttered, I repeated a whole chunk of my monologue, I stunk up the joint. I picked something out of my comfort zone cuz I thought it'd fit better with this piece, which as anyone who's ever acted knows is an enormous mistake. This is the first even slightly dramatic piece I've auditioned for since 9th grade, so I guess I overthought it.

Name some times when you've totally bombed. Be you a stand-up comic on stage, a writer turning in material that you know is subpar, or a business-type blowing some important meeting. What's the worst you've ever done in an audition/interview?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I suck at interviews.
Nov 29th 2007
LMAO:
Nov 29th 2007
The worst was when . . .
Nov 29th 2007
LOL @ this whole thing
Nov 30th 2007
Dude... you were so money, and didnt even know it.
Nov 30th 2007
I blew an interview at New Line once.
Nov 30th 2007
This experience actually FORCED to you do good from now on
Nov 30th 2007
I had my choice of department(s) sucka!
Dec 02nd 2007
There's nothing quite like being on stage during a show taping,
Nov 30th 2007
Oh man!! My people asked me to rhyme @ my man's WEDDING
Nov 30th 2007
Fuck it, I'm done.
Nov 30th 2007
LOL
Nov 30th 2007
Oh shit! LOL
Dec 01st 2007
LOL....
Dec 03rd 2007
whatever. people drunk off the bubbly. if they care fuck em
Dec 03rd 2007
RE: OkayIndustryTypes: I just totally bombed an audition, lol.
Nov 30th 2007
LOL, I wish. I'm in grad school in Ohio for another year and a half.
Nov 30th 2007
Which role?
Nov 30th 2007
dont forget me when you're famous
Nov 30th 2007
No one noticed but I was doing a show with dumhi once....
Nov 30th 2007
yo gabba gabba
Nov 30th 2007
me and my boy bombed in fron of rock, sykes and nelson george
Nov 30th 2007
LOL! What were you doing, performing stand-up or something?
Nov 30th 2007
      performing our written material aloud...sykes seemed disgusted
Nov 30th 2007
I stood bombed in front of Ashely Judd, Paris Hilton & Jessica Biel
Nov 30th 2007
Also, pitching story ideas to a show you never watch? L
Nov 30th 2007
Bay At The Moon
Nov 30th 2007
LOL, oh please. You weren't that bad.
Dec 01st 2007
      I'd love to see what this said pre-edit
Dec 01st 2007
           You know what I did obtain over Thanksgiving break tho?
Dec 01st 2007
                well yeah, we're poker buddies
Dec 02nd 2007
So oddly enough, I still got called back. LOL!
Dec 01st 2007
lol. hope u get it dude.
Dec 01st 2007
congrats man
Dec 01st 2007
nice, way to go
Dec 01st 2007
S-T-A-N-T-O-N!!!
Dec 01st 2007
I killed the callback, but I didn't get the part.
Dec 02nd 2007
      'cism strikes again
Dec 03rd 2007
I bombed on stage... it was horrible. Charles Oakley was in VIP...
Dec 03rd 2007
A few years back I was invited to audition for a Duke Ellington show
Dec 03rd 2007

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Nov-29-07 09:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I suck at interviews."
In response to Reply # 0

I went in to meet with Jake Kasdan to be his assistant on Orange County. The office was set up that there was his desk, a coffee table in front of the desk, and further back, a couch. He told me to come in and sit down so I walked in the office and plopped down on the coffee table. I could tell from his reaction that he definitely wasn't expecting that. I decided to stay and just sell it (rather than acting like I suddenly realized he meant the couch) but I spent the rest of the interview wondering what the hell I was doing sitting on the coffee table.

Another interview, I met with the boss and the meeting went great and she said she'd see me later. I left, got in my car, started driving away, and then realized that I was supposed to go see the HR person again, not actually leave altogether. I quickly pulled a U-turn and got back to the office. The HR Girl was like "Where'd you go?" and I just said I was walking around, checking out the office.

Another story, although not embarrassing for me, was the time when I was talking to a prospective boss on the phone and things were going well until I mentioned the script I was working on (an odd horror film) I could tell he immediately lost interest and minutes later he gave me the old "Just send in a resume and we'll see if we have an opening" (which was laughable since he was calling me because I already had sent him a resume and, in fact, we'd discussed my resume earlier in the phone call). Anyway, three weeks pass and I'm sitting at home and the guy calls me back. We start talking and he's offering me a different job and I quickly realize that he has no idea who I am and doesn't remember that he called me once already. I just repeated the same conversation, cutting out the mention of a horror script, and got the job.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Nov-29-07 10:46 PM

2. "LMAO:"
In response to Reply # 1

>Another story, although not embarrassing for me, was the time
>when I was talking to a prospective boss on the phone and
>things were going well until I mentioned the script I was
>working on (an odd horror film) I could tell he immediately
>lost interest and minutes later he gave me the old "Just send
>in a resume and we'll see if we have an opening" (which was
>laughable since he was calling me because I already had sent
>him a resume and, in fact, we'd discussed my resume earlier in
>the phone call). Anyway, three weeks pass and I'm sitting at
>home and the guy calls me back. We start talking and he's
>offering me a different job and I quickly realize that he has
>no idea who I am and doesn't remember that he called me once
>already. I just repeated the same conversation, cutting out
>the mention of a horror script, and got the job.

genius.switch
Member since Nov 11th 2006
839 posts
Thu Nov-29-07 11:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "The worst was when . . ."
In response to Reply # 0

The worst was when I went in for this After-School special, and I'm sitting in the waiting room with all these little kids. I see they're all signed in for the same role as me, so I check the time and place. I'm where I'm supposed to be. I call my agent. She says they asked for me specifically. So I go in. "Hello . . . Hi . . .We loved your guest spot on Baywatch . . .blah blah blah . ." Whatever. So, I start to read, and, I was money. I prepared for a week. It's a starring role. I'm crying. The casting director, she starts crying. I finish. I hold up my finger like "Wait a second". They sit in silence for, like, at least five minutes. I look up and they all start clapping, and now they're all crying. Even the camera guy. So, I swear to God this is exactly what he said. The producer says to me . . . now he's still crying . . he says to me that I was great, that that was exactly what they were looking for. Then he says it's just that I'm a little old. I'm like "How old is the part supposed to be?". He's like, he says this with a straight face, I swear to God, he says "Eleven." It's like, you looked at my tape. You saw my picture. Why did you call me in? You knew I was twenty-four. (What an asshole.)

Sorry, I just wasn't sure when I'd get a chance to ever quote that again. :)

MANHOODLUM
Charter member
27788 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 09:20 AM

7. "LOL @ this whole thing"
In response to Reply # 3

You made it so epic for them...

then they just let you down.

E-Boogs and Nayi

MANHOODLUM
Most sig'd okp.
No Aliases.

MANHOODLUM via Twitter
MANHOODLUM@live.com
MANHOODLUM@yahoo.com
Tommy Moran @ Facebook
MANHOODLUM@tmo.blackberry.net

B.WilkZ
Member since Sep 18th 2006
4210 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 02:20 PM

21. "Dude... you were so money, and didnt even know it."
In response to Reply # 3

'THE GOOD WORD' on 88.3 FM in Pittsburgh
Saturday @ Midnight till 3 AM
www.myspace.com/thegoodword883

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 01:02 AM

4. "I blew an interview at New Line once."
In response to Reply # 0

It's honestly the only interview I've totally BOMBED. I just had an interview today where I left saying, "Why'd I say THAT?!" but I didn't bomb it.

The New Line one was for an internship. I'm glad I DIDN'T get it, but in the moment - it was fucking awful. First, I was late to the interview. If you don't know LA - well, Wilshire Blvd. is a BITCH at like 10am. Theres Wilshire West and Wilshire East. I got off at the wrong one (I don't remember what that one was) and when you go the wrong way on Wilshire at that time...forget it. So I was late...and I distinctly remember being on the phone with my girlfriend like, "I'm not even gonna show up." She told me to, so I did...but not before I got a call saying, "Where are you?"

Anyway, I got there. I spelled "savvy" wrong on my resume, I answered questions like an idiot...to the point where it was almost an out of body experience. I was like, "WHO IS THAT DUDE AND WHY IS HE SO FUCKING AWFUL AT INTERVIEWING?!" When they asked me professional questions, I'd give responses with examples from my personal life. Embarrassing. Then they took me over to the bigger boss...and I did better with him, but still not great.

Then they were like, "Well, this doesn't mean you didn't get the job, but we wanna take you to the music label we have here." Bitch, I'm coming here for a fucking internship for FILM SCHOOL. What do I need a MUSIC DEPARTMENT interview for? When they took me up to the music department, the dude I interviewed with was like, "So uh, why'd they bring you here?" to which I had no real response. I mean, there was some other stuff in there, but these are what I remember as being just awful moments in a terrible interview.

Every interview since then, I've NAILED. It was that bad.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

MANHOODLUM
Charter member
27788 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 09:22 AM

8. "This experience actually FORCED to you do good from now on"
In response to Reply # 4

crazy

Showing up to interviews 2 hours early with starched socks and a Bible under your arm.

E-Boogs and Nayi

MANHOODLUM
Most sig'd okp.
No Aliases.

MANHOODLUM via Twitter
MANHOODLUM@live.com
MANHOODLUM@yahoo.com
Tommy Moran @ Facebook

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Sun Dec-02-07 12:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
33. "I had my choice of department(s) sucka!"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun Dec-02-07 12:27 AM by DrNO

and to defend the music department, Emmerich started there. All their bands suck balls though.

Who was the big boss you talked to?

My interview issue is that I get pegged as "laid back"--thus "lazy"--all the damn time.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 01:21 AM

5. "There's nothing quite like being on stage during a show taping,"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-30-07 01:40 AM by ZooTown74

pitching a joke, and having it BOMB completely in front of the live studio audience

Yeah, that's happened quite a few times

You'll kill the next audition

MANHOODLUM
Charter member
27788 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 09:14 AM

6. "Oh man!! My people asked me to rhyme @ my man's WEDDING"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-30-07 09:23 AM by MANHOODLUM

I'm sittin there in a suit and tie...I took this chick Shirley, a fine little Columbian dime. I'm chillin, eating pasteles, chicken, and whatnot.

My man Elvin was getting married, and we all used to rhyme...make little tapes and stuff. I was the star in school. This was 91-94 Tampa, so it's not like now...where there's 400 m.c.'s in a single school.

Anyway, they're like get up and rhyme. I'm like "What? are you stupid? I don't have nothing written or memorized!". I could've went off-the-head, but this is a wedding...abuelitas and aunts there and all that. I'm not trying to grab my dick and go "in a zone" onstage.

Finally, I said I'll do it...so I jotted some cute lil'lines down, and figured I'd just KRS-it for a minute or 2 and do a little dedication. Read thru it a few times, and decided to go up there.

My boy was DJ'ing spanish music, but he had the "Flava in ya'Ear" instrumental, so I told him to play that. Man!!! It was supposed to be fun, but they made this huge announcement, tapped the glasses, and my boy and his wife came UP to the stage. ALL eyes were on me, on some "special dedication" type vibe, like I was Whitney Houston.

*gulp*

DJ drops the beat...

I got thru 4-6 lines with no problem. I even took a friendly little diss/jab @ our friend Chino who couldn't make the wedding 'cause he went to the Army lol The crowd was laughing...I had'em.

Boom!! After the 6th line, my mind went blank...I stumbled on the line, and remembered it, but not enough time to land on beat.

After that stumble, my brain went completely blank.

Man, I went into SOME off-the-head, Das EFX crap. lol Skoobida-bop.

After I was done...about 4 bars later...I ended the rhyme with...

"Fuck it! I'm done"

at a wedding.

Jesus...I still shudder @ the memory.

E-Boogs and Nayi

MANHOODLUM
Most sig'd okp.
No Aliases.

MANHOODLUM via Twitter
MANHOODLUM@live.com
MANHOODLUM@yahoo.com
Tommy Moran @ Facebook

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 09:29 AM

9. "Fuck it, I'm done."
In response to Reply # 6

LMAO

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 09:55 AM

10. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 6

"Fuck it, I'm done"

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Sat Dec-01-07 11:51 AM

26. "Oh shit! LOL"
In response to Reply # 6

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Mon Dec-03-07 12:09 AM

37. "LOL...."
In response to Reply # 6

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Mon Dec-03-07 01:35 PM

39. "whatever. people drunk off the bubbly. if they care fuck em"
In response to Reply # 6

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

deacon
Charter member
3284 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 11:16 AM

11. "RE: OkayIndustryTypes: I just totally bombed an audition, lol."
In response to Reply # 0

I've forgotten parts of a monologue in the middle of reciting it, so I started talking slower. I tried to play it off by acting as if my character was upset. That's the worst feeling in the world to me as an actor. When you know you're stinking up the joint, but you have to finish. Of course, I am auditioning for low budget-no budget indies in Memphis. You are dealing with the big boys out in Cali, right?

Sites that I contribute to:

http://www.livefrommemphis.com

http://www.geeksofdoom.com

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 11:22 AM

12. "LOL, I wish. I'm in grad school in Ohio for another year and a half."
In response to Reply # 11
Fri Nov-30-07 11:22 AM by Frank Longo

I'm hoping that I'll work up the dough to make it out there sometime soon tho.

And yeah, I DEFINITELY did the old "pretend my character is mad to cover my stuttering." LOL.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 11:49 AM

13. "Which role?"
In response to Reply # 0

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 11:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "dont forget me when you're famous"
In response to Reply # 0

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 11:59 AM

15. "No one noticed but I was doing a show with dumhi once...."
In response to Reply # 0

... and like a fool i thought i'd switch up one of my lines last minute. Yeah. not such a good idea. Luckily the rest of the cats on stage knew what i was SUPPOSED to be rapping so they backed me up and i quickly got back on track. I will NEVER do that shit again. lol

Luckily that's the closest I've come.

VOTE DUMHI! http://www.okayplayer.com/awards
http://fuck-your.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer
http://www.last.fm/user/DawgEatah

gusto
Charter member
26878 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 12:36 PM

16. "yo gabba gabba"
In response to Reply # 0

your avi is hilarious, i love that kid

..|.,

If you still don't know what Jade Typhoon is, click here:
http://jadetyphoon.blogspot.com/ (WS)

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 12:41 PM

17. "me and my boy bombed in fron of rock, sykes and nelson george"
In response to Reply # 0

and we look forward to reminding them of it.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 12:54 PM

18. "LOL! What were you doing, performing stand-up or something?"
In response to Reply # 17

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 02:17 PM

20. "performing our written material aloud...sykes seemed disgusted"
In response to Reply # 18

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 01:56 PM

19. "I stood bombed in front of Ashely Judd, Paris Hilton & Jessica Biel"
In response to Reply # 0

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 02:29 PM

22. "Also, pitching story ideas to a show you never watch? L"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-30-07 02:31 PM by ZooTown74

As a favor for someone else I was allowed to come in and pitch 5 story ideas for a show (that's no longer on the air and I won't be naming). The problem was that it was my first time pitching. And at the time I didn't have a TiVo, so I couldn't stockpile episodes of the show so I could get a general sense of what it was like. All I could rely on was a couple of horribly recorded episodes from a co-worker and a Show Bible that was sent over for reference. And a couple of co-workers gave me general pointers on how to pitch.

So, I spent the weekend crafting what I thought were 5 funny, contemporary and compelling stories for this show. I felt I did a decent job with the stories considering the limited knowledge I had going in. I figured, well at the very least they'll find the stories to be contemporary, maybe they can buy the story ideas, I'll just take the Story By credit, and they can have one of their writers write the scripts. That's "worst case scenario," in my mind.

Anyway, Monday came, and I pitched to the folks I had to pitch to. To be honest, I wasn't that nervous. Initially. But the problem was, as I pitched, any *pause for laugh*s I had were instead filled with dead silence. *That* made me nervous. And at the end of every pitch, there was about a 3-second pause, which was usually followed with some variation on, "well, you know, interesting idea, but that's not really something our characters would do." Great. After the meeting I slumped out of that office and returned to work, and tried to play shit off like the pitch meeting went great and they loved my stories and would try to figure out a way to incorporate them into the show... bullshit.

But I learned from it, and moved on to bigger and better things...

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Fri Nov-30-07 05:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Bay At The Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

I think that's what it was called, I don't really remember.

But man I was god awful. You saw it Frank, you can attest to this.

And I am not THAT bad of an actor, but if anybody only saw that they sure would think I was. Just awful.

- Dub

I give rappers the biz for being m-izza-a-archaic.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sat Dec-01-07 02:48 AM

24. "LOL, oh please. You weren't that bad."
In response to Reply # 23
Sat Dec-01-07 02:48 AM by Frank Longo

You had a shitty script to work with, that doesn't say shit about you.

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Sat Dec-01-07 09:04 PM

30. "I'd love to see what this said pre-edit"
In response to Reply # 24

please don't lie to the people frank, they'll never get to know the genius that was Guy Badtimes.

- Dub

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sat Dec-01-07 09:21 PM

32. "You know what I did obtain over Thanksgiving break tho?"
In response to Reply # 30

A copy of the physics safety video we made.

Dude, it is so fucking hilarious. I forgot how funny it is. Hegeman STILL shows it to every class he has.

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Sun Dec-02-07 10:44 PM

35. "well yeah, we're poker buddies"
In response to Reply # 32

- Dub

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sat Dec-01-07 02:50 AM

25. "So oddly enough, I still got called back. LOL!"
In response to Reply # 0

Man, I guess in all of my stuttering glory, they saw something that made them decide to give me another chance. We'll see what happens. I got called back for the two lead male roles, and I'm still not terribly optimistic...

...if I somehow land one of these two parts, even after that audition, it'd be as big as Zeke coming back to win Coach of the Year.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Dec-01-07 11:55 AM

27. "lol. hope u get it dude."
In response to Reply # 25

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

nocturnal
Charter member
1679 posts
Sat Dec-01-07 12:52 PM

28. "congrats man"

and thanks for this post, too. this shit has had me crying i was laughing so hard, cause it's all real, and folks are funny when they recount these moments.

knock out the call back. good luck

https://soundcloud.com/djplainview

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9414 posts
Sat Dec-01-07 06:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
29. "nice, way to go"

maybe it wasn't as bad as you remembered

go sooners

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Sat Dec-01-07 09:06 PM

31. "S-T-A-N-T-O-N!!!"

Change that attitude, mufugga!

What, is somebody gonna come in there and do better than you?

Hell no!

You already fucked up AND they liked you.

Everybody else hasn't fucked up yet, thus you shall kill your call back and leave all those sorry non-Duvalans in your dust.

- Dub

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sun Dec-02-07 05:32 PM

34. "I killed the callback, but I didn't get the part."

That's the most frustrating shit ever. I thought I knocked it out, and then I saw the cast list. What sucks more is everyone else is cast perfectly... except the role that I thought I had. Balls, balls, balls. Oh well. Guess that just means more time on OKP for the next couple of months.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Mon Dec-03-07 05:08 PM

40. "'cism strikes again"
In response to Reply # 34

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Mon Dec-03-07 12:06 AM

36. "I bombed on stage... it was horrible. Charles Oakley was in VIP..."
In response to Reply # 0

and Bruce Bruce was heckling me from the other VIP section.

It was worse than booing...it was dead silence...I could hear the mice behind the building picking through the hot wing remnants.

Oak was nice though; after the show he came up to me and said, 'Its okay homie, everybody has a bad game.' LOL

bski
Member since Jun 09th 2002
12115 posts
Mon Dec-03-07 01:30 PM

38. "A few years back I was invited to audition for a Duke Ellington show"
In response to Reply # 0

I told dude (very accomplished/respected chorographer)that I had little to no musical theater experience but he really loved my voice so he was like-don't worry about it.

I show up and sing the only Duke Ellington number that I know, "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" and the pianist mistakenly thinks that I'm done and ends the song early. I sang well but it was really short. They ask if I have anything else in that vein and I say..well I kinda know "Misty".

Only I don't know "Misty". I know Donny Hathaway's version which like ANY Donny remake bears little to no resemblance to the original.

After that trainwreck, I leave with my head down only to be chased into the hallway and chewed out by one of the casting directors because I didn't even leave any contact information. "I don't know how you think you're ever gonna get a job without even knowing to do that!"

I wanted to eat a bullet. I wouldn't even had been there if homeboy hadn't gone through great lengths to set up an audition for me. I bombed violently though.

I'm tired of the "worst song I've ever heard" being something new every month.
-okp simpsycho

http://www.myspace.com/livesociety

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #333640 Previous topic | Next topic