Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #311995

Subject: "" Previous topic | Next topic
KwesiAkoKennedy
Charter member
3770 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 11:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""

August 30, 2007
Sci-fi films are as dead as Westerns, says Ridley Scott

"He was the director of two of the most critically acclaimed science fiction films, but now Sir Ridley Scott believes that the genre is so tired and unoriginal that it may be dead.

At the Venice Film Festival for a special screening of his seminal noir thriller Blade Runner, Sir Ridley said that science fiction films were going the way the Western once had. “There’s nothing original. We’ve seen it all before. Been there. Done it,” he said. Asked to pick out examples, he said: “All of them. Yes, all of them.”

The flashy effects of recent block-busters, such as The Matrix, Independence Day and The War of the Worlds, may sell tickets, but Sir Ridley believes that none can beat Stanley Kubrick’s 1968 sci-fi epic 2001: A Space Odyssey."

More in the link..

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article2351086.ece

Do, what does PTP think? Is Sci-fi cinema dead? Or is Sir Ridley Scott just trying to stir up shit for his new Blade Runner re-edit?

My take on this is that it's less about good SF getting made but more about an out dated studio system restricting new ideas.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Quality sci-fi films since Independence Day:
Aug 30th 2007
wtf
Aug 30th 2007
but what is not derivative?
Aug 30th 2007
yeah i get the
Aug 30th 2007
      mainstream sci-fi may suffer from a limited vocabulary
Aug 30th 2007
      There's the whole science thing to it
Aug 30th 2007
           could you explain a little further?
Aug 30th 2007
                People have a set definition of "science" as another word for "technolog...
Aug 31st 2007
      no more derivative than any other genre
Aug 30th 2007
Waterworld was The Road Warrior on the high seas
Aug 30th 2007
      RE: Waterworld was The Road Warrior on the high seas
Aug 30th 2007
i'd add Dark City & The Thirteenth Floor to that list
Aug 30th 2007
Gattaca too
Aug 30th 2007
      oh without a doubt Gattaca. eXistenZ....not so much lol.
Sep 01st 2007
this right here dude:
Aug 30th 2007
Wow. Your list didn't help your argument AT ALL.
Aug 30th 2007
      Did you read this part of my post?
Aug 30th 2007
Sci-fi Westerns are not dead!
Aug 30th 2007
LOL
Aug 30th 2007
Is there a sequel to Space Cowboys?
Aug 30th 2007
I would consider Firefly/Serenity a Sci-Fi Western.
Aug 30th 2007
      last night, I cried watching the docs on the SE
Aug 31st 2007
Real Talk
Aug 30th 2007
Danny Boyle's work tends to disagree
Aug 30th 2007
Sci-Fi isn't dead, it just moved out of its mom's basement
Aug 30th 2007
I'll take it that this means you haven't seen the director's cut
Aug 30th 2007
      I liked Primer a lot more than Pi although both are very confusing
Aug 30th 2007
      director's cut, shmirector's cut
Aug 30th 2007
           nah, this one actually makes a really big difference
Aug 30th 2007
                I think the only problem I had was the voice overs
Aug 30th 2007
                     Voice overs were added by the producers cuz of Focus Groups.
Aug 30th 2007
                          Regardless, the movie came out in 1982. PENCILS DOWN ALREADY.
Aug 30th 2007
                               quick question: you know about the unicorn, right?
Sep 03rd 2007
Sc-fi is ashamed of itself
Aug 30th 2007
Firefly is very much a space western though
Aug 30th 2007
      RE: Firefly is very much a space western though
Aug 30th 2007
           the WHOLE POINT is that "sci-fi" is just a place to set your story.
Aug 30th 2007
                RE: the WHOLE POINT is that "sci-fi" is just a place to set your story.
Aug 31st 2007
westerns like Apollo 13?
Aug 30th 2007
^^^best reply so far^^^
Aug 30th 2007
2001/alien being good movies had nothing to do with their genre
Aug 30th 2007
i stopped reading after "i don't like blade runner any more than...
Aug 30th 2007
      1) i read books and 2) which version of blade runner?
Aug 30th 2007
      ooooo you read books, you must be smarter than us film heads
Aug 31st 2007
           it just means that i (like most people) don't approach movies like film ...
Aug 31st 2007
      ha...me too...
Sep 03rd 2007
I'll give him this...
Aug 30th 2007
it's not just an overemphasis, a lot of films are missing with their eff...
Aug 30th 2007
I think this is the real issue here.
Aug 31st 2007
then he must have missed Children of Men
Aug 31st 2007
Well...It IS The Truth
Aug 31st 2007
3:10 to Yuma is not that good but its better than the original
Aug 31st 2007
RE: 3:10 to Yuma is not that good but its better than the original
Sep 01st 2007
The Western is back (production-wise anyway)
Sep 01st 2007
and even that was a stolen idea
Sep 01st 2007
RE: Well...It IS The Truth
Sep 03rd 2007
Sep 01st 2007
Declaring things dead is dead
Sep 03rd 2007
THANK YOU! ...and just today, some lady told me ''yogurt's dead''
Sep 03rd 2007
Comic book flicks = the new sci-fi
Sep 03rd 2007
2001 >>> any film ever made all time ever ever ever
Sep 03rd 2007
oh yeah, and The Fountain just came out last year too
Sep 03rd 2007

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86665 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 12:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Quality sci-fi films since Independence Day:"
In response to Reply # 0

The Matrix (dude is tripping, I don't even like The Matrix like that, but come on)
The Iron Giant
Pitch Black
AI: Artificial Intelligence (up until the end)
Minority Report
Reign of Fire (or is that more fantasy?)
T3: Rise of the Machines
2046 (does this count?)
The Island
Children of Men (does this count?)
A Scanner Darkly

And that doesn't include some great sci-fi comedies like Men in Black and Galaxy Quest.

It's not dead, there just aren't any other sci-fi films than The Matrix that have put a definitive stamp on the genre recently.

In terms of GREAT sci-fi films since Blade Runner?

Return of the Jedi
Back to the Future
Brazil
Aliens
The Fly
RoboCop
Predator
The Abyss
T2: Judgement Day
Jurassic Park
12 Monkeys
Minority Report

Scott is right. The quality of sci-fi film has fallen. But I still don't think it's dead. There are some good films in that first list.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 12:18 PM

3. "wtf"
In response to Reply # 1

>The Matrix (dude is tripping, I don't even like The Matrix
>like that, but come on)
>The Iron Giant
>Pitch Black
>AI: Artificial Intelligence (up until the end)
>Minority Report
>Reign of Fire (or is that more fantasy?)
>T3: Rise of the Machines
>2046 (does this count?)
>The Island
>Children of Men (does this count?)
>A Scanner Darkly
>
>And that doesn't include some great sci-fi comedies like Men
>in Black and Galaxy Quest.
>
>It's not dead, there just aren't any other sci-fi films than
>The Matrix that have put a definitive stamp on the genre
>recently.
>
>In terms of GREAT sci-fi films since Blade Runner?
>
>Return of the Jedi
>Back to the Future
>Brazil
>Aliens
>The Fly
>RoboCop
>Predator
>The Abyss
>T2: Judgement Day
>Jurassic Park
>12 Monkeys
>Minority Report
>

he said sci fi isnt original (which, depending on who u are, may mean its not good). and i agree. which of those on ur list is really original? all sci fi tends to generally move in the same direction, share similar themes.

children of men had some things going for it, a sort of a different take..but in the end it was the same hero quest shit.

jurassic park...? somewhat novel.

then id say waterworld..which was horrible..but i thought there were some original things about the premise.

other than that, everything u listed is derivative.

“Be uncomfortable; be sand, not oil, to the machinery of the world.”
- Gunter Eich

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 12:46 PM

7. "but what is not derivative?"
In response to Reply # 3

>other than that, everything u listed is derivative.
>

How many recent movies of ANY genre cannot be seen as derivative? There's only so many stories. How many movies can you name that are not easily related to a handful of other movies that dealt with the same basic story? Movies are typically pitched by saying they are just like two other movies put together.

I tend to think Ridley Scott's comments, and other people's complaints about sci-fi movies (because he ain't the only one to bitch about the state of these movies) is more about the way these stories are told -- the effects, yes, but also the manner in which the "new worlds" of sci-fi are presented. After The Matrix, for example, every new Sci-Fi movie had to have "bullet time" and all that. Then there is the standard "hero's journey" as you mentioned. (But that ain't going anywhere.)

But the reason why Sci-Fi is here to stay is that it is the one genre, at least in print, that is all about social commentary. It's all about focusing on our current condition through extreme analogies. Yeah, a sci-fi movie can be about just telling a fun story, but the best sci-fi is rarely about what it is about. It is not about time travel or aliens or any of that. It is about using those things to make a statement about what is going on in the here and now. And as long as there are people who think we are going to hell in a handbasket -- and someone always thinks that, no matter who is in power -- there will always be sci-fi.

There have not been many really good sci-fi movies lately. Most of the better ones listed above are from books or stories written decades ago. Part of the problem may be that the new sci-fi books aren't as good. I don't read much of the genre, but I suspect there are some really good ones recently. Maybe they are not getting made because the current Hollywood mindset is still about making Matrix-y stuff or having obvious toy tie-ins.

I would love to see THE SPARROW make it to the screen, but I don't have much hope of it having the same impact the novel had.

CHILDREN OF MEN was excellent. (That was based on a book, wasn't it?)

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 01:25 PM

11. "yeah i get the"
In response to Reply # 7

"no idea is original" thing

but i mean HIGHLY derivative. its like you said, about choosing and meshing influences in a new way. the social commentary thing is there, but like i said, i think a lot of them keep going the same route. this world is too technological, going to hell in a handbasket, losing its soul...and maybe they all would go in that direction...but i mean...its so painfully predictable at this point. and yeah all the "future worlds" look alike. thats another issue. thats why i like children of men and waterworld (the premises), because the futures are different than ur average bladerunner, total recall, star wars knock-off with updated special effects.

- Gunter Eich

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 01:52 PM

14. "mainstream sci-fi may suffer from a limited vocabulary"
In response to Reply # 11

But a lot of it is our fault for being just as limited in what we typically accept as being 'sci-fi'.

Sure the 'future worlds' are all sort of played out, but then again why do we immediately associate 'sci-fi' with futuristic settings? Or space, or aliens, etc.? Why is it when someone says sci-fi I think of Star Trek and not say, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

-----------------------------
http://talestosuffice.com/
@kennykeil

TheMindFrame
Member since Jan 17th 2003
4074 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 04:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "There's the whole science thing to it"
In response to Reply # 14

I feel like a lot of times current sci-fi films strain themselves trying to set a universe that makes sense within their own contexts

Sua Sponte

Tuam Sequere Naturam

A story: A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 07:15 PM

34. "could you explain a little further?"
In response to Reply # 23

I can't quite wrap my head around what you're saying

@kennykeil

TheMindFrame
Member since Jan 17th 2003
4074 posts
Fri Aug-31-07 07:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
41. "People have a set definition of "science" as another word for "technolog..."
In response to Reply # 34

And they have a hard time accepting one without the other. I feel like a lot of movies play up on that ("come see the shiny effects - nevermind that the science itself is pretty shoddy") and end up throwing away the chance to tell a good story, which is where the fiction piece comes in.

Am I making any sense?

Sua Sponte

Tuam Sequere Naturam

A story: A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 03:50 PM

21. "no more derivative than any other genre"
In response to Reply # 11

>"no idea is original" thing
>
>but i mean HIGHLY derivative.

And it's probably only fair to talk about "genre films." But name a genre whose films are not all very similar to one another? I think the problem is that the elements of Sci-Fi are so obvious: whether it is space ships, aliens, ray guns or even the themes such as "We are destroying our planet" or "We are too reliant on technology". You can't hide those elements in a movie in the same way you can disguise the standard elements of a serial killer movie. Really, the only thing that distinguishes SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and the Morgan Freeman-Ashley Judd movies is the quality of the writing. A good romantic comedy (say, MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING, I guess) and a bad one (I don't know, HITCH, maybe) will be almost identical save for its ability to make you care about the main characters. People say the RomCom is dead primarily because the all suffer from a fatal defect in the genre, namely, that you go in knowing how it will end and so there is virtually zero suspense.

But name a genre that hasn't been declared dead? And they are usually considered dead because people feel all the stories have been told and everything is derivative.

Westerns are supposedly dead, as noted. They were dead before UNFORGIVEN came out. Maybe they are dead again, but 3:10 FROM YUMA is coming out and getting good reviews.

Horror was dead, then it wasn't, now it is again. Unless it isn't.

You rarely hear that Crime or Police Procedurals are dead, but they are some of the most derivative movies ever. "Future worlds" all look alike because of lazy writers or filmmakers. Police procedurals look alike because they have to. Eventually, someone will create a new vision of the future, but the next cop movie will always look a lot like the last cop movie.

Romantic Comedy is the only one everyone can agree *should* be buried, yet there's a new batch of them every year.

Any of these genres can and will be considered revived as soon as someone comes up with a really original-seeming take on a story.

But the one thing that prevents Sci-Fi from being truly dead is the one thing that is inherent in Sci-Fi and not in the other genres (though it could certainly be present in other genres), and that is the social commentary element. As long as someone with talent is willing to use the future, space, technology or some combination of these, and there is still something in the world to comment on, then Sci-Fi has a better than average chance of new great entry into the genre.

You like Children of Men, the Waterworld premise, and I do too. And there really isn't anything preventing something as original as those coming out next year. That's why I say it's silly for Scott to say the genre is dead. All it takes is one new vision.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

PS - I agree with the other post about the mainstream's limited vocabulary. There is no reason why Eternal Sunshine can't be considered science fiction.

PPS - I agree with the stuff below about sci-fi people being too restrictive with their terminology. The mainstream audience doesn't give a shit about distinctions such as "space western" or "speculative fiction" or even fantasy to a certain degree.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 03:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "Waterworld was The Road Warrior on the high seas"
In response to Reply # 3

like almost exactly.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 04:29 PM

25. "RE: Waterworld was The Road Warrior on the high seas"
In response to Reply # 22

>like almost exactly.
>
>

i havent seen road warriors in like 20 years but even if thats the case, it was a helluvan idea. like i said, nothing is really original, but depending on how you interpret your sources you can make something *sorta* new.

- Gunter Eich

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 12:59 PM

9. "i'd add Dark City & The Thirteenth Floor to that list"
In response to Reply # 1

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 03:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "Gattaca too"
In response to Reply # 9

eXistenZ was pretty decent from what I remember, I'd have to see it again to qualify it further though.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Sep-01-07 02:25 AM

52. "oh without a doubt Gattaca. eXistenZ....not so much lol."
In response to Reply # 19

i remember being hyped wen i first sat down to watch it...ended up being one of the worst films i've ever seen.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 01:47 PM

13. "this right here dude:"
In response to Reply # 1

>Back to the Future

Back to the Future.

Back to the fucking Future, man.

Post = Over

@kennykeil

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 06:20 PM

29. "Wow. Your list didn't help your argument AT ALL."
In response to Reply # 1

I might enjoy some of those movies, and even own a couple, but none of them are even close to the level of a 2001 or Blade Runner. Most of them are ripoffs of other movies and a good chunk of them are downright awful.

http://fuck-your.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer
http://www.last.fm/user/DawgEatah
R.I.P. 3rd i

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86665 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 09:04 PM

40. "Did you read this part of my post?"
In response to Reply # 29

"Scott is right. The quality of sci-fi film has fallen."

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Whiteout
Member since Aug 30th 2005
3577 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 12:07 PM

2. "Sci-fi Westerns are not dead!"
In response to Reply # 0

They live on in my heart forever!

. . .
psn: sirius_fruits

but that shit's stupid though.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 02:48 PM

15. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 2

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 03:15 PM

17. "Is there a sequel to Space Cowboys?"
In response to Reply # 2

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 06:20 PM

30. "I would consider Firefly/Serenity a Sci-Fi Western."
In response to Reply # 2

A movie that should have been in someone's list as an argument against Scott's claims.

R.I.P. 3rd i

Whiteout
3577 posts
Fri Aug-31-07 12:43 PM

46. "last night, I cried watching the docs on the SE"
In response to Reply # 30
Fri Aug-31-07 12:44 PM by Whiteout

That movie (and the show too) had so much love instilled.

. . .

SammyJankis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
6358 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 12:19 PM

4. "Real Talk"
In response to Reply # 0

___

And who are you; the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?

www.twitter.com/JayTeeDee

www.juwandickerson.com

Whiteout
3577 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 12:21 PM

5. "Danny Boyle's work tends to disagree"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunshine and 28 Days Later are both phenomenal sci-fi movies, in my honest opinion.

. . .

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 12:22 PM

6. "Sci-Fi isn't dead, it just moved out of its mom's basement"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-30-07 12:43 PM by buckshot defunct

There may be an argument here if it were possible to draw a distinct line between now and a time where all sci-fi movies were on par with 2001. But seeing as how that was never really the case, I can't really clap to this.

First of all - and let me just get this out of the way - Blade Runner sucks. So that's strike one.

Second - I find it hard to declare Sci-Fi dead when it seems to be so damn popular. I realize that this is an attack on art and not commerce, but come on. Popular culture has gotten a LOT nerdier over the past 20 years and there are sci-fi elements almost everywhere you look. Our action movies are all sci-fi thrillers now. Our most popular TV shows have superpowers, mad scientists and smoke monsters. Some might see this as a negative thing, a retread and dilution of concepts that were played out decades ago. Maybe so, but I see it as more of a positive thing, an integration of sorts. And attacking originality is such a slippery slope. There's the whole 'there are no new ideas' thing for one. And plus, I think it puts too much responsibilities on the storytellers to focus on the wrong things. I think the audience has some responsibility here as well to not be so damn jaded. It's not always about seeing new things, but rather seeing things with new eyes.

I do agree that great Sci-Fi depends on ideas and not effects. Sometimes you get both, and I will actually defend The Matrix as an example of this. Then there's stuff like Pi and Primer, films that are able to blow minds on a shoestring budget. And they will always be the minority, it doesn't mean Sci-Fi is dead. It just means that the good shit is hard to come by. That's why it's called the good shit.

@kennykeil

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 03:41 PM

18. "I'll take it that this means you haven't seen the director's cut"
In response to Reply # 6

>First of all - and let me just get this out of the way - Blade
>Runner sucks. So that's strike one.

he's also redone a 'final cut' that's coming out soon (apparently he was limited in the stuff he was able to put together for the director's cut). you should really check that out.

>There may be an argument here if it were possible to draw a
>distinct line between now and a time where all sci-fi movies
>were on par with 2001. But seeing as how that was never really
>the case, I can't really clap to this.

yeah pretty much.

>Second - I find it hard to declare Sci-Fi dead when it seems
>to be so damn popular. I realize that this is an attack on art
>and not commerce, but come on. Popular culture has gotten a
>LOT nerdier over the past 20 years and there are sci-fi
>elements almost everywhere you look. Our action movies are all
>sci-fi thrillers now. Our most popular TV shows have
>superpowers, mad scientists and smoke monsters. Some might see
>this as a negative thing, a retread and dilution of concepts
>that were played out decades ago. Maybe so, but I see it as
>more of a positive thing, an integration of sorts. And
>attacking originality is such a slippery slope. There's the
>whole 'there are no new ideas' thing for one. And plus, I
>think it puts too much responsibilities on the storytellers to
>focus on the wrong things. I think the audience has some
>responsibility here as well to not be so damn jaded. It's not
>always about seeing new things, but rather seeing things with
>new eyes.

you could replace the words sci-fi with hip-hop in there and have this same argument in the lesson - LOL.

>I do agree that great Sci-Fi depends on ideas and not effects.
>Sometimes you get both, and I will actually defend The Matrix
>as an example of this. Then there's stuff like Pi and Primer,
>films that are able to blow minds on a shoestring budget. And
>they will always be the minority, it doesn't mean Sci-Fi is
>dead. It just means that the good shit is hard to come by.
>That's why it's called the good shit.

good call on Pi. haven't seen Primer, I'll have to check that out.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 04:27 PM

24. "I liked Primer a lot more than Pi although both are very confusing"
In response to Reply # 18

Neither are your run of the mill sci fi flicks tho

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 04:42 PM

26. "director's cut, shmirector's cut"
In response to Reply # 18

No do-overs. Get your movie right the first time. It's 30 years later and this dude is STILL tweaking his film? Let it go already, dude. Time is up. Put down your #2 pencil and turn it in already.

>you could replace the words sci-fi with hip-hop in there and
>have this same argument in the lesson - LOL.

Sci-Fi just died this morning and she's deaaaaaaaaaaaad, she's deaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-eaaaad!

@kennykeil

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 05:05 PM

27. "nah, this one actually makes a really big difference"
In response to Reply # 26

>No do-overs. Get your movie right the first time. It's 30
>years later and this dude is STILL tweaking his film? Let it
>go already, dude. Time is up. Put down your #2 pencil and turn
>it in already.

he did get it right the first time, but the studio changed it after it got a poor reception at test screenings cuz it was too dark and complex for them and it didn't have a happy ending. the director's cut really makes a big difference & the final cut is supposed to do even more, if you're a sci-fi fan you should really check it out.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 05:55 PM

28. "I think the only problem I had was the voice overs"
In response to Reply # 27

I'm not one of these cats who saw Adaptation and decided the next day to hate all voice overs, but it *did* rub me the wrong way in this case.

As I understand it, there are versions out there without the VO. I imagine it's pretty decent.

@kennykeil

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 06:23 PM

31. "Voice overs were added by the producers cuz of Focus Groups."
In response to Reply # 28

As was the ending change.
Much against the wishes of Scott.
That's why there is a director's cut.
It isn't a do-over.
It's a "the studio fucked up my film and this is how it was supposed to go"

R.I.P. 3rd i

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 07:18 PM

35. "Regardless, the movie came out in 1982. PENCILS DOWN ALREADY."
In response to Reply # 31

@kennykeil

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 06:12 PM

60. "quick question: you know about the unicorn, right?"
In response to Reply # 35

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Brother_Afron
Member since Jul 06th 2003
3812 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 12:49 PM

8. "Sc-fi is ashamed of itself"
In response to Reply # 0

Anytime a good sci-fi movie comes out, its creators and/or it's fans will practically slice your neck if you actually call it sci-fi. Serenity is a perfect example of this. "It's not sci-fi! It's a space western!!!"
Whatever.

Fun is the new gritty

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 01:34 PM

12. "Firefly is very much a space western though"
In response to Reply # 8

That is to say, its opening credits remind me of Walker Texas Ranger.

@kennykeil

Brother_Afron
3812 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 03:13 PM

16. "RE: Firefly is very much a space western though"
In response to Reply # 12

It plays up the western angle in order to avoid being called sci-fi, which is kinda the point I was making. Future, dead earth, space ships, technology, robots, etc. That shit's a sci-fi movie.

Fun is the new gritty

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 08:30 PM

39. "the WHOLE POINT is that "sci-fi" is just a place to set your story."
In response to Reply # 16

most sci fi that's more than pulp or serial is going to relate well to some other genre that people love.

Brother_Afron
3812 posts
Fri Aug-31-07 07:36 AM

42. "RE: the WHOLE POINT is that "sci-fi" is just a place to set your story."
In response to Reply # 39

I have no problem with it relating to any number of genres. I'm saying that the perception that science fiction is dead comes from people who refuse to acknowledge sci-fi movies as sci-fi.
It's the difference between "Serenity is a cool little science fiction western" vs. "Serenity isn't sci-fi! It's a space western."

It's like people feel ashamed to like science fiction.

Fun is the new gritty

duD
19709 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 01:08 PM

10. "westerns like Apollo 13?"
In response to Reply # 0

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 06:24 PM

32. "^^^best reply so far^^^"
In response to Reply # 10

R.I.P. 3rd i

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 03:45 PM

20. "2001/alien being good movies had nothing to do with their genre"
In response to Reply # 0

and i don't like blade runner any more than i like demolition man or totall recall.

and though the quality of movies has suffered a tad, i don't know if you can tie that to the genre either.

i think a lot of it has to do with half-assed production budgets and . and you can find many good-->great films figuring out the balance in sci fi.

scifi television is pretty thorough atm come to think of it, who needs a movie when you have a gamut from eureka to galactica.

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 06:25 PM

33. "i stopped reading after "i don't like blade runner any more than..."
In response to Reply # 20

... demolition man."

R.I.P. 3rd i

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 08:17 PM

37. "1) i read books and 2) which version of blade runner?"
In response to Reply # 33

i'm not a huge film person...for the most part i'm imagining shit from good lit myself. so zomg-these-characters-have-interesting-relationships-and-i-notice-symbols-cool! isn't really why i go see a flick. that kind of experience (for me) pales in comparison to what i can get in a few hundred pages, and i imagine that i'm not alone in not approaching films as a filmmaker or a film critic.

and that doesn't have anything to do with accepting substandard fare...i picked demolition man and totall recall because i've seen both movies several times (as i have with blade runner), and planet of the apes as a series because i've seen it dozens of times, whereas there are movies like pitch black that i really enjoyed once but will never ever see again.

as far as his general point, whatever. if this is a genre issue then the filmmakers just need to catch up with the shit that is out there in print and stop fucking up classics. i, robot and hitchhikers and earthsea didn't have to suck. haldeman and scaldi and the brits have written great shit in the past decade that would make wonderfully troubling movies. shit, someone competent could do something wonderful with "parable of the sower" and do some justice to octavia butler's memory.

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Fri Aug-31-07 09:04 AM

43. "ooooo you read books, you must be smarter than us film heads"
In response to Reply # 37

lol

R.I.P. 3rd i

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Fri Aug-31-07 03:41 PM

49. "it just means that i (like most people) don't approach movies like film ..."
In response to Reply # 43

and, as i've seen how film heads post, i'm not saying that i don't have standards or accept shitty movies, but that we aren't going to have our experiences ruined cause ridley scott thinks he and his boys invented shit that looked cool and was paced well.

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 05:49 PM

58. "ha...me too..."
In response to Reply # 33

credibility went out the window on that.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*Effasig*

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 07:48 PM

36. "I'll give him this..."
In response to Reply # 0

“There is an overreliance on special effects as well as weak storylines,” he said of modern sci-fi films.
--

Although most films are like this now.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Thu Aug-30-07 08:21 PM

38. "it's not just an overemphasis, a lot of films are missing with their eff..."
In response to Reply # 36

we've carefully avoided bay-bashing here, but he does a lot of work to make shit that doesn't have much in the way of vision, even if he can make scenes "look cool"

KwesiAkoKennedy
Charter member
3770 posts
Fri Aug-31-07 10:23 AM

44. "I think this is the real issue here."

He's miffed that people take sfx as a sign of a good movie.

But if he's been paying attention to independent films, animation and television, there have been some pretty damn good Sci-Fi projects since 2001.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Fri Aug-31-07 10:46 AM

45. "then he must have missed Children of Men"

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Fri Aug-31-07 01:56 PM

47. "Well...It IS The Truth"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-31-07 01:56 PM by rorschach

The last TRUE science fiction films were The Matrix movies and Minority Report. While I don't like Matrix Revolutions at all, the first installment has got to be one of the most original films created concept-wise.

EDIT: By the way, I hope 3:10 to Yuma is good enough to bring westerns back. I actually like westerns more than gangster movies.

"Being the bigger man is overrated." -- Huey (The Boondocks)

"But today's black leaders, I'm afraid, have become leading blacks. And don't ever confuse leading blacks with black leaders." --Dr. Julia Hare.

http://www.myspace.com/dozingoff

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Aug-31-07 02:27 PM

48. "3:10 to Yuma is not that good but its better than the original"
In response to Reply # 47

>EDIT: By the way, I hope 3:10 to Yuma is good enough to bring
>westerns back. I actually like westerns more than gangster
>movies.

The 1st action sequence is great but then the rest of the movie never manages to top or even match it.

Neither Crowe nor Bale are particularly great in their roles either. Ben Foster steals scenes from both of them the whole movie. Peter Fonda phones in his limited screen time. It's not terrible but I thought it'd be a bit better. There's a certain cameo that almost puts it on the American Outlaws level. The sound effects are great & certain scenes really work while others kinda fall flat on their face. It's worth a matinee tho & maybe I'm just too picky. I usually love almost everything Crowe & Bale do but both of their performances were uneven here.

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Sat Sep-01-07 12:58 AM

50. "RE: 3:10 to Yuma is not that good but its better than the original"
In response to Reply # 48

>The 1st action sequence is great but then the rest of the
>movie never manages to top or even match it.
>
>Neither Crowe nor Bale are particularly great in their roles
>either. Ben Foster steals scenes from both of them the whole
>movie. Peter Fonda phones in his limited screen time. It's not
>terrible but I thought it'd be a bit better. There's a certain
>cameo that almost puts it on the American Outlaws level. The
>sound effects are great & certain scenes really work while
>others kinda fall flat on their face. It's worth a matinee tho
>& maybe I'm just too picky. I usually love almost everything
>Crowe & Bale do but both of their performances were uneven
>here.

Man....I'm still going to see it but I know what to expect now.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sat Sep-01-07 01:32 AM

51. "The Western is back (production-wise anyway)"
Sat Sep-01-07 01:33 AM by SoulHonky

There are a good number of Westerns coming out soon and a number of stars have recently signed to Old West films. (Scott produced The Assasination of Jesse James)

Whether they are good or not remains to be seen. And if 3:10 does well, it will likely mean a ton of remakes of past Westerns (which won't make Ridley any happier).

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Doc Maestro
Member since May 12th 2005
10391 posts
Sat Sep-01-07 12:44 PM

53. "and even that was a stolen idea"

>The last TRUE science fiction films were The Matrix movies
>and Minority Report. While I don't like Matrix Revolutions at
>all, the first installment has got to be one of the most
>original films created concept-wise.

sheeeeit

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 06:08 PM

59. "RE: Well...It IS The Truth"

>The last TRUE science fiction films were The Matrix movies
>and Minority Report.

Huh? Sunshine just came out a couple months ago.

>While I don't like Matrix Revolutions at
>all, the first installment has got to be one of the most
>original films created concept-wise.

sure, they just took all their concepts from Neuromancer.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Illusion Artist
Member since Oct 09th 2003
556 posts
Sat Sep-01-07 07:40 PM

54. ""
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah I have to agree the films have fallen off content wise vs SFX, even some of the series IMO. With decent writing you can tell a great story with our relying on SFX ala Stargate or Battle Star.

PS that Death Note avi is killin me

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 03:08 PM

55. "Declaring things dead is dead"
In response to Reply # 0

and kinda stupid

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 04:26 PM

57. "THANK YOU! ...and just today, some lady told me ''yogurt's dead''"
In response to Reply # 55

well, she told my mom actually, and i did a double-take

Kuahmel
Member since Aug 30th 2003
15005 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 04:02 PM

56. "Comic book flicks = the new sci-fi"
In response to Reply # 0

And too many suppose sci-fi joints aren't sci, but are really FANTASY (with stuff that ain't anyways real, will never happen, and/or requires way too much suspense of disbelief).

...with who? THA DOODOOMAN!!!
www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_poop.html

kill all whites today & we'll still be f'd up. we fight over BS political ideas & ethnic allegiances but scared to defend resources of our own land. the only savior is self--thegodcam

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 06:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
61. "2001 >>> any film ever made all time ever ever ever"
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Mon Sep-03-07 06:37 PM

62. "oh yeah, and The Fountain just came out last year too"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-03-07 06:39 PM by 40thStreetBlack

>“There’s nothing original. We’ve seen it all before. Been
>there. Done it,” he said. Asked to pick out examples, he said:
>“All of them. Yes, all of them.”

All of them? we've had The Fountain, Children of Men, and Sunshine just in the past year. FOH Ridley.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #311995 Previous topic | Next topic