Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #291374

Subject: "and you all thought F4 Silver Surfer was gonna be good..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 11:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"and you all thought F4 Silver Surfer was gonna be good..."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2_rise_of_the_silver_surfer/

tisk tisk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
not me.
Jun 15th 2007
...it's only 87 minutes long? What is this, a Disney movie??
Jun 15th 2007
Who thought it was gonna be good?
Jun 15th 2007
you didnt see everyone holding their collective jism in the trailer post...
Jun 15th 2007
      But we all know how bad the first one was, right?
Jun 15th 2007
      thats what i tried to say
Jun 15th 2007
      Its okay to get excited over that trailer. It's a good trailer.
Jun 15th 2007
           that doesnt make sense to me
Jun 15th 2007
                normally yes. absolutely.
Jun 15th 2007
                     Yeah, there's "That movie looks good" and "That was a good trailer"
Jun 15th 2007
                     RE: normally yes. absolutely.
Jun 15th 2007
i still do. hitting it in 51 minutes
Jun 15th 2007
if by good you mean mildly entertaining then yes
Jun 15th 2007
yeah because noone likes movies that get bad ratings on RT
Jun 15th 2007
well lucky for you....
Jun 15th 2007
      if you were at a party, and 50/70 people told you
Jun 15th 2007
      Critics' opinions don't always match the public's taste
Jun 15th 2007
      okay, good point, BUT
Jun 15th 2007
           I'm not saying it's completely useless
Jun 15th 2007
                dude you cant equate box office sales to the quality of the movie
Jun 15th 2007
                     I didn't say that. We're talking about mainstream America's taste
Jun 15th 2007
      very flawed logic
Jun 15th 2007
here's how I new it would be awful
Jun 15th 2007
AHAHA IT'S GOOD!!
Jun 15th 2007
^^^SEEN IT & BOUT 2 TALK BOUT IT!!!...elsewhere tho
Jun 15th 2007
Galactus (spoilers)
Jun 15th 2007
RE: Galactus (spoilers)
Jun 15th 2007
      BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Jun 15th 2007
i'm surprised it's even at 35%
Jun 15th 2007
this was a hundred times better than spiderman 3
Jun 15th 2007
      ^Damning with faint praise
Jun 15th 2007
      Spiderman 3 blew ass chunks.
Jun 16th 2007
      thats not saying much though
Jun 16th 2007
I don't know how good of an FF film you can expect.
Jun 15th 2007
big shock.
Jun 15th 2007
I doubt it's that good
Jun 15th 2007
susan storm+alicia masters=a threesome i would pay to have
Jun 16th 2007
Still seeing it. I've heard that it's entertaining.
Jun 16th 2007
There's nothing wrong with the movie .....
Jun 16th 2007
      RE: There's nothing wrong with the movie .....
Jun 16th 2007
      I liked the movie, but not the Galactus portrayal ..... (spoilers)
Jun 17th 2007
I didn't think it was that bad...
Jun 17th 2007

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 11:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "not me."
In response to Reply # 0

http://fuck-your.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/insightclopediabrown
http://www.myspace.com/dumhi
http://www.youtube.com/group/okayplayer
http://www.last.fm/user/DawgEatah
R.I.P. 3rd i

Nukkapedia
Member since Apr 16th 2006
35461 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 11:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "...it's only 87 minutes long? What is this, a Disney movie??"
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 12:01 PM

3. "Who thought it was gonna be good?"
In response to Reply # 0

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 12:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "you didnt see everyone holding their collective jism in the trailer post..."
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Jun-15-07 12:03 PM by HighVoltage

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 12:04 PM

5. "But we all know how bad the first one was, right?"
In response to Reply # 4

I mean, the Surfer looked impressive visually, but you had to know it would suck if you saw the first one.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 01:13 PM

7. "thats what i tried to say"
In response to Reply # 5

everyone was gettin all hyped up even though the first one was ass. this looks to be no different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 01:23 PM

9. "Its okay to get excited over that trailer. It's a good trailer."
In response to Reply # 4

-----------------------------
http://talestosuffice.com/
@kennykeil

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 01:31 PM

10. "that doesnt make sense to me"
In response to Reply # 9

if you're getting excited by a trailer, then clearly you have interest in the film and good expectations....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 01:41 PM

11. "normally yes. absolutely."
In response to Reply # 10

This was a weird case where I was able to say "Wow, I really liked that trailer", yet still had zero desire to see the film itself. (Which I guess brings into question the effectiveness of the trailer, but I digress)Probably has something to do with the first movie being complete ass. Although, the trailers for FF1 were mostly terrible as I recall.

But yeah, Silver Surfer flying mach speed all over New York City for 30 seconds? I can appreciate that. Who couldn't?

@kennykeil

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 02:59 PM

17. "Yeah, there's "That movie looks good" and "That was a good trailer""
In response to Reply # 11

There are at least a handful of trailers every year that come out and are pretty interesting yet I still have no interest in seeing the film whatsoever. I thought the At World's End trailer looked pretty cool but there was no way I was going to sit through another 2.5 hours of that nonsense.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

K. Dot
Member since Dec 14th 2005
8471 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 09:26 PM

31. "RE: normally yes. absolutely."
In response to Reply # 11

> This was a weird case where I was able to say "Wow, I really liked that trailer", yet still had zero desire to see the film itself.

Same here. I came to this realization not too long ago.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 12:09 PM

6. "i still do. hitting it in 51 minutes"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

YaBoy...Holla@ME
Member since Mar 10th 2005
3164 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 01:15 PM

8. "if by good you mean mildly entertaining then yes"
In response to Reply # 0

I know it;s going to be cringeworthy at best but there should be some good action (especially the Sufer-related action)

Avy: Tyrion disrespects King Joffrey yet again

"If your life consists of NO drankin, NO drugs, NO loose booty, NO fatty foods, NO additives, NO preservatives, AND no waings.......then what the fuck you wanna live so long for, boring ass n****?" - Tay

Esco
Charter member
44856 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 02:00 PM

12. "yeah because noone likes movies that get bad ratings on RT"
In response to Reply # 0

unless that shit got 0% theres a grip of people that liked it. I don't listen to negative reviews alone. And I also do this thing that some of you should try. I think for myself and for my own opinions.

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 02:14 PM

13. "well lucky for you...."
In response to Reply # 12

>I don't listen to negative reviews alone.

RT isnt just one persons review, its the consensus of many reviewers. And 70 ppl saw it and only 20 liked it.

you can make that arguement for a SINGLE review, but not for a website that compiles tons of reviews from across the country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 02:20 PM

14. "if you were at a party, and 50/70 people told you"
In response to Reply # 13

that the cheese dip tasted like dog shit

would

you

still

eat

it

@kennykeil

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 02:53 PM

16. "Critics' opinions don't always match the public's taste"

Dead Man's Chest and At World's End got slaughtered (rightfully so IMO) but a lot of people loved those films. People won't stop going to see Wild Hogs but that shit go 105 negative reviews out of 125 reviews.

While Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic compile a lot of reviews, they are all from a specific group, film critics. It's not like they took a cross-section of America and got their opinion.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 03:31 PM

19. "okay, good point, BUT"
In response to Reply # 16

These sites post reviews from a wide range of critics who write for a wide range of audiences. If the Village Voice or Roger Ebert hate on a popcorn flick, I'm not really sweating it. But if everybody from Entertainment Weekly to AICN to Onion AV Club to Better Homes and Gardens etc etc is boo-ing, it just might be a red flag.

I'm all for free will, but let's not pretend that reviews are completely useless.

@kennykeil

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 04:23 PM

24. "I'm not saying it's completely useless"
In response to Reply # 19

More often than not, the reviews will help people avoid bad movies but the mainstream audience is far more forgiving than movie critics.

On Metacritic, FF4 is a 47

In this year's box office

#3: At World's End =50
#4: 300 = 51
#5: Wild Hogs = 27
#7: Ghost Rider = 35

Technically, this was in last year's box office but:
Night at the Museum = 48
---

I can't fault someone who doesn't agree with film critics. They might just have a lower standards than your typical film critic.

----

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 05:00 PM

25. "dude you cant equate box office sales to the quality of the movie"
In response to Reply # 24

we live in a country full of fucking morons... people PAID MONEY to see Date Movie... so much so that they made a fucking SEQUEL!

Its just like the music industry, you cant tell me the top selling artists are the best artists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 06:20 PM

28. "I didn't say that. We're talking about mainstream America's taste"
In response to Reply # 25

Most Americans like music that is, at best, disposable. They like films that most critics would say is stupid.

Remember how this began, someone above said that they don't listen to reviews. People said he was wrong for doing that but actually, that just makes him more like the average moviegoer. They'll take Fantastic Four or Pirates over Babel or The Queen.

I despised Dead Man's Chest, as did most viewers, but most average moviegoers LOVED that movie. You don't make a billion dollars with everyone walking out saying, Yeah I should have listened to the reviews.

----

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 10:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "very flawed logic"

--------

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 02:41 PM

15. "here's how I new it would be awful"
In response to Reply # 0

Galactus.

For me this was the litmus test, like Venom was for Spiderman 3. If they found a cool way to work Galactus into the movie without making it helplessly corny, the movie would be good.

But according to the reviews, they wuss out.

No purple, planet eating giant.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 03:16 PM

18. "AHAHA IT'S GOOD!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Legitimately good.

More in the official.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 03:41 PM

20. "^^^SEEN IT & BOUT 2 TALK BOUT IT!!!...elsewhere tho"
In response to Reply # 18

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 03:56 PM

21. "Galactus (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

post spoilers to this reply with spoiler space

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66745 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 03:57 PM

22. "RE: Galactus (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 21

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=291343&mesg_id=291343&page=#291493

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 11:49 PM

34. "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"
In response to Reply # 22

it wasn't even right relativistically even.

__gigs__
__stuff__

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 04:20 PM

23. "i'm surprised it's even at 35%"
In response to Reply # 0

cause it's easily in the bottom ten of movies released this year. i mean, it's really, really, laughably bad, and not in a campy comic book way. the usa today critic who said the ending was more satisfying than spiderman 3 should be fired. i haven't seen spiderman 3, but if it had an ending, it couldn't possibly have been worse than the cheesefest that is the last 20 minutes of f4:rss.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 05:00 PM

26. "this was a hundred times better than spiderman 3"
In response to Reply # 23

----
bshelly

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 09:01 PM

30. "^Damning with faint praise"
In response to Reply # 26

ansomble
Member since Nov 30th 2005
33508 posts
Sat Jun-16-07 08:41 PM

39. "Spiderman 3 blew ass chunks."

☺☻

"i'm doing good, can i put my face in your buttcrack?" (c) P.Inf

"frankly, I think it's foolish to have a cat or a baby, but whatever" (c) veritas

@kingofthings

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Sat Jun-16-07 11:41 PM

40. "thats not saying much though"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

JusticeSabre
Member since Aug 01st 2006
8595 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 06:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
27. "I don't know how good of an FF film you can expect."
In response to Reply # 0

It's not X-Men.
It's not Spider-Man.
It's not Batman.
It's not Superman.

It's basically a sitcom with superheroes.

That said, aside from Jessica Alba being all wrong for the role and their hesitance to utilize Doom properly, it was a solid, fun film.

An even B.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2ngzku9.jpg

The_Orange_Ninja_Turtle
Member since Jan 14th 2005
22411 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 08:58 PM

29. "big shock."
In response to Reply # 0

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Fri Jun-15-07 10:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
33. "I doubt it's that good"
In response to Reply # 0

(although I semi-enjoyed the first)

but are you just basing this on website reviews? or did you see it?

--------

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Sat Jun-16-07 03:53 AM

35. "susan storm+alicia masters=a threesome i would pay to have"
In response to Reply # 0

and i would feel zero shame in telling people i paid for it.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Jun-16-07 09:39 AM

36. "Still seeing it. I've heard that it's entertaining."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

da_illest_one
Member since Apr 09th 2005
1761 posts
Sat Jun-16-07 11:08 AM

37. "There's nothing wrong with the movie ....."
In response to Reply # 36

ok Galactus wasn't as he should seem but check it...

Galactus has many forms, he is a sub-God and one of the Celestials, if he chooses a human form then he will look like the classic form in the comics, if you a little research on the character you'll realize he also took the form of a cloud, a storm, a collection of bug like ships, or a moving planet....
Also, what we may have seen was just a form of his ship, not the big guy himself...

What did everyone expect for action?
The Silver Surfer was perfectly done, he pimp smacked Dr. Doom and made short work out of dozens of military missile convoys, and he looked straight when he wasn't on his surf board, that wasn't CGI and I was impressed on how they pulled it off..

Ok now Jessica Alba doesn't fit Sue Storm's appearance and yes someone like Scarlett Johannson could have pulled it off better but you know what? The movie focused on Reed Richards and Victor Von Doom more than the other characters, thats why I enjoyed it...

I would not put this on the list of bad Marvel films because it was close to the comic book as it could be, even Doom has his classic comic book outfit...

some complain about it being PG, so what? Do the Fantastic Four kill people? nope.., Do the FF curse and have sex? Nope..., so there, thats a good reason for it not to have nudity and graphic death scenes...

And guess what, its leaving the table open for Silver Surfer movie which will of course feature Galactus...

So yes ya'll go see this joint, its a family film and its fun to watch...

On The Lookout 4:
some new music. WTF is going on this year?

xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Sat Jun-16-07 04:24 PM

38. "RE: There's nothing wrong with the movie ....."
In response to Reply # 37

this is exactly how I feel about the movie.

it was fun to watch.

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Sun Jun-17-07 07:54 AM

41. "I liked the movie, but not the Galactus portrayal ..... (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 37

space

There's no way Galactus OR the Silver Surfer went out like that. COME ON!!!!!

space

__gigs__
__stuff__

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Sun Jun-17-07 08:32 PM

42. "I didn't think it was that bad..."
In response to Reply # 0

In fact, I left with a better taste in my mouth than when I first saw Spider-Man 3.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #291374 Previous topic | Next topic