Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #278056

Subject: "To those who have talent: Let's talk about actually doing it." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"To those who have talent: Let's talk about actually doing it."
Tue May-01-07 12:46 PM by Frank Longo

As I head to grad school next year to put two more years of intensive studies in, I look ahead toward the future and seriously considering pursuing creative endeavors as a career. I've gotten really strong encouragement from several people, and recently an author who's a professor at Duke, Reynolds Price, had some words for me that really made me think:

"You're a talented man-- need I tell you?-- Russell, and I trust you're going to do something interesting with your gifts. You'll likely suffer if you don't-- and I don't say that as any sort of threat, only as what seems a realistic observation after nearly fifty years of observing a large number of Duke students-- some 3,000 of them by now."

That quote really scared me to some extent. I really think that I could make it-- why not risk it and go out and try to achieve? My creative writing gets really well received, and I know my plays are better than a girl who recently got accepted into the M.F.A. program at Columbia for playwriting. There are directors who I've worked with who now work in NYC that I'm confident I am better than, and I've gotten great reviews from local theater people and professors who've said I've directed some of the best work Duke has seen, including better than department shows. I've also got a thick skin for bad reviews and rejection when they come, and I really feel like I could make it in the real world. I'm also currently of a mindset that I really might be heading to a big city and trying to get a job in the arts, something that a couple of years I never would've thought I was good enough to do.

So why am I making this post?

I want to hear from some of you who are actually out there working, using your talents (or holding down a job until you can). Tell me about where your mind was when you were in high school/college. Did you honestly think you could go achieve in the profession of your dreams? What have all the benefits/downfalls been that you've encountered since going out and doing it?

For whatever reason, that quote above really has made me think recently that unless I give it a try, I'll never know if I could become something special and make movies/write or direct plays/do whatever that really matters. So I'm kind of really really excited about the future, how this program is going to train me further for theater, and what I can go out and do after this. And while I realize that in a decade I'll likely be a jaded industry type like some other OKPs (no snitchin'), I still can't help but be excited about what the future holds.

So to those who are out there doing it: what were your dreams in high school/college? How did those dreams evolve? What obstacles have you faced/overcome/continued to face? Where do you see yourself ideally in 10 years? This is a positive post for those who are out there using their God-given talents doing something they love and to those like me who are planning on actually doing it.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Off point but one of the best ways to make it...
May 01st 2007
What is your actual dream? As in, where would you be if you could?
May 01st 2007
PTP saves my sanity at work
May 01st 2007
      What gig are you on now? Also, what's your bread and butter?
May 01st 2007
these boards actually stimulate me, creatively.
May 01st 2007
      I agree
May 01st 2007
congrats
May 01st 2007
seriously.
May 01st 2007
      Russell is my hero.
May 01st 2007
Wait, your name is Russell?
May 01st 2007
I'll have to hit this up later
May 01st 2007
Russell?
May 01st 2007
its official ernest
May 01st 2007
      Rusty for short
May 01st 2007
           Cere is so angry.
May 01st 2007
                I've KNOWN it was Rusty
May 01st 2007
                     LOL what?
May 01st 2007
                          I immed you that time and some broad said
May 02nd 2007
                               Oh, I knew you knew my name. That doesn't bother me.
May 02nd 2007
The thick skin will help
May 01st 2007
Thanks for the advice.
May 01st 2007
What I have done...
May 01st 2007
Well...
May 01st 2007
I swear if I could just get back into college...
May 01st 2007
Get it done, dude.
May 01st 2007
      I hate phrases like go out there and do it...
May 01st 2007
           But you know what I mean though. It's not overnight of course.
May 01st 2007
           I didn't think you were undermining anything...
May 02nd 2007
           Ultimately, that's what it comes down to.
May 02nd 2007
                I wasn't saying you had to have money...
May 02nd 2007
using my art and tech skills in the service of others
May 01st 2007
In what manner would you use your art to help others?
May 01st 2007
      RE: In what manner would you use your art to help others?
May 01st 2007
           That sounds really great and honorable.
May 01st 2007
                thanks...i'm thinking about going corporate though
May 01st 2007
The one thing that helped me out the most-
May 02nd 2007
im not in the industry and im not all that talented
May 02nd 2007
I'm making the films I want to make
May 02nd 2007
Ask yourself what you really want out of life first
May 02nd 2007
THICK THICK SKIN
May 02nd 2007
Music
May 02nd 2007

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue May-01-07 12:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Off point but one of the best ways to make it..."
In response to Reply # 0

is stop wasting time with message boards. Lord knows I've spent too much time on this when I should have been writing.

To really make it, you need to immerse yourself in your dream for a few years and give it a go. The tough part, of course, is trying to immerse yourself and feed yourself at the same time. I'm planning on taking a few months off after this last gig and really giving it a go. I've wasted too much time on silly stuff or jobs that I'm not really all that committed to (i.e, reality tv)

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 01:03 PM

3. "What is your actual dream? As in, where would you be if you could?"
In response to Reply # 1

What kind of writing do you do?

And P.S. believe me, if I actually go out to LA or somewhere, I'll definitely be cutting back on OKP, LOL.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue May-01-07 04:08 PM

11. "PTP saves my sanity at work"
In response to Reply # 3

I don't post much at home but I tend to slack off at times and have to stay later because of it. Although some times conversations annoy me enough (I'm kind of obsessive compulsive) that I keep posting at home instead of writing.

I'm trying to write films. I've been sitting on a couple of script and want to put them out there and see if I can get any interest once I'm done this last gig.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 08:43 PM

19. "What gig are you on now? Also, what's your bread and butter?"
In response to Reply # 11

i.e. what kind of scripts do you plan on writing? Comedy/drama/whatever?

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Tue May-01-07 01:50 PM

9. "these boards actually stimulate me, creatively."
In response to Reply # 1

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Big Chief Rumbletummy
Member since Jan 31st 2006
2005 posts
Tue May-01-07 05:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 9

This board, and loosie.com, has been a major creative outlet for going on 6 years now. There have been times when I've quickly spat out some rough notion here and then later revisited it and brought the idea out longer and in depth.

But I am probably not the demographic Longo is referring to because I don't do anything creatively in any professional manner. I would like very much to be able to, but I don't have the credentials nor the focus and drive to actually make a successful go of it.

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Tue May-01-07 12:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "congrats"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-01-07 01:02 PM by Frank Longo

I'm very happy for you.

Back like...

http://www.imageyenation.com

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Tue May-01-07 01:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "seriously."
In response to Reply # 2
Tue May-01-07 01:05 PM by Frank Longo

I can't stop praising you.

Back like...

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Tue May-01-07 01:09 PM

5. "Russell is my hero."
In response to Reply # 4

Back like...

alias for mrhood75
Member since Mar 19th 2007
1936 posts
Tue May-01-07 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Wait, your name is Russell?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seriously, I'll try to answer the question.

Well, my dreams were always centered around writing. And to some extent, I've followed them. Maybe not in the way I originally envisoned (I wanted to write books and shit), but I've always wanted to express myself creatively, and started actively pursuing it in high school. When I was in college I figured the best way to do it was go the journalism route. I had strong opinions and movies and music (for reviews) and I'm pretty good at talking to people and asking the right questions, especially in the realm of music, so it seemed like a good fit.

When I graduated college, I found that it was damn difficult getting a job as a journalist. I hooked up with what was at the time a fairly prominent hip-hop magazine, but I discovered they were shday as fuck. After spinning my wheels for a bit, I decided to go to grad school to get my master's, sharpen up my writing and editing skills and make some connections. I got out of grad school, and while I had learned a lot, it was still fricking impossible to find a full-time writing job, especially in the field I was interested in. Because they aren't many established paying music mags out there, and let's be real, lots of people know about music. So it was hard to work my way in.

So at that point I resolved that I was going to need more viable full-time hustle, and write about music on the side. Because most of the mags I got to write for didn't pay, and living full-time as a freelancer is a constant draining grind. And I've made it work. Sometimes it's been easier than others, and sometimes I've gone astray, but I'm in a pretty good place right now, as of this moment. And the full-time hustles I've always undertaken have in some ways utilized my talents: I've worked as editor/reporter for weekly small-city community newspapers, a grant-writer, and even in a record store. I've even sort of gotten back into writing books and shit, but I'm not making quite as much progress as you like.

So, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that unless you're indepently wealthy and you have someone who can support you, if you're entering the creative field like writing or directing or play-writing, you have to find ways to make it. And I'm not saying you got to compromise your dreams, but if you're going to hold down a full-time job until you have the oppotunity to use your creative talents on your own schedule, try to find something to do full-time that's within your skill set that you can enjoy doing every day. It makes things cosiderably easier.

>
>I want to hear from some of you who are actually out there
>working, using your talents (or holding down a job until you
>can). Tell me about where your mind was when you were in high
>school/college. Did you honestly think you could go achieve in
>the profession of your dreams? What have all the
>benefits/downfalls been that you've encountered since going
>out and doing it?
>
>For whatever reason, that quote above really has made me think
>recently that unless I give it a try, I'll never know if I
>could become something special and make movies/write or direct
>plays/do whatever that really matters. So I'm kind of really
>really excited about the future, how this program is going to
>train me further for theater, and what I can go out and do
>after this. And while I realize that in a decade I'll likely
>be a jaded industry type like some other OKPs (no snitchin'),
>I still can't help but be excited about what the future
>holds.
>
>So to those who are out there doing it: what were your dreams
>in high school/college? How did those dreams evolve? What
>obstacles have you faced/overcome/continued to face? Where do
>you see yourself ideally in 10 years? This is a positive post
>for those who are out there using their God-given talents
>doing something they love and to those like me who are
>planning on actually doing it.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue May-01-07 01:22 PM

7. "I'll have to hit this up later"
In response to Reply # 0

But for now, The Hustle beckons...

ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Tue May-01-07 01:40 PM

8. "Russell?"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------------------------

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Tue May-01-07 03:43 PM

10. "its official ernest"
In response to Reply # 8

you're like my best friend compared to my dislike for Russell.

Back like...

ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Tue May-01-07 04:56 PM

14. "Rusty for short"
In response to Reply # 10

---------------------------------------------------------

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 08:42 PM

18. "Cere is so angry."
In response to Reply # 14

Plus it's been common knowledge that my name is Russell for a while.

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Tue May-01-07 10:20 PM

29. "I've KNOWN it was Rusty"
In response to Reply # 18

and you KNOW I've KNOWN.

You the mad one though. Snooping around for information.

Back like...

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 11:37 PM

30. "LOL what?"
In response to Reply # 29

Alright duke. Get ready for football season.

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Wed May-02-07 09:06 AM

38. "I immed you that time and some broad said"
In response to Reply # 30

"Russell's not here"

that was like 2 years ago, Russ.

Back like...

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Wed May-02-07 10:31 AM

41. "Oh, I knew you knew my name. That doesn't bother me."
In response to Reply # 38

That's been public information on OKP for a while.

TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Tue May-01-07 04:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "The thick skin will help"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-01-07 05:05 PM by TurkeylegJenkins

You WILL encounter rejection.

Sometimes it will be warranted, but often it will not be.

Sometimes it will come from people who really have no business evaluating creative material.

That comes with the territory.

Take a lesson from Barton Fink.

And take another lesson from Wallace Stevens, recipient of the 1955 Pulitzer Prize for poetry, who said "after the final no there comes a yes, and on that yes the future world depends."

Also draw some inspiration from this poem by Walt Whitman:

http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/wwhitman/bl-ww-poetsto.htm

You can't sleep on us forever: http://www.myspace.com/regeneratedheadpiece

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 08:51 PM

22. "Thanks for the advice."
In response to Reply # 12

You do sports writing, yes? How did you come to that position? Did you always imagine you'd do this?

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Tue May-01-07 04:44 PM

13. "What I have done..."
In response to Reply # 0

that has worked out great for me, so far, is build shit for myself. Stuff that I own, control, can do myself, and can share with others.

Basing a career on the approval of others is very dicey, imo. Not that you shouldn't work with others, or seek the approval of others, just make sure that you're building something that's viable on it's own and is a genuine reflection of you.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 08:46 PM

20. "Well..."
In response to Reply # 13

...the approval of others is merely serving as reassurance that I could make it. I'm very confident in myself, but as I'm sure you know, hearing it from some others certainly makes your creative efforts seem all the more worthwhile.

And others have not liked my work. And I'm fine with that too. I'm much happier being someone who polarizes than someone who is boring.

But did you know you were going to go into radio? What resources did you have in order to build what you have for yourself?

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Tue May-01-07 05:34 PM

15. "I swear if I could just get back into college..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd never take my gifts for granted again. I pissed away my shot out of pure laziness despite professors trying to be on my side.

I've made up my mind that when I get back into school I'm not looking back or second-guessing myself anymore. I know I could really get into filmmaking if I could just get my hands on a good camcorder.

What I need is to find out where to go in the meantime to continue following my dream because I can't do jack here in Warren County, NC.

"Being the bigger man is overrated." -- Huey (The Boondocks)

"But today's black leaders, I'm afraid, have become leading blacks. And don't ever confuse leading blacks with black leaders." --Dr. Julia Hare.

http://www.myspace.com/dozingoff

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 08:52 PM

23. "Get it done, dude."
In response to Reply # 15

This is a celebration for creative types. Go out there and do the thing.

What are you doing now that's holding you back?

Mr Mech
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
8373 posts
Tue May-01-07 09:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "I hate phrases like go out there and do it..."
In response to Reply # 23

Especially when it comes to filmmaking. When you think about all the little things that it takes to make a film good, hell, to make it watchable, you realize you can't just walk out of your house and do it. It's not a seize the day sort of thing. Unless you have a ton of money, then you pay a bunch of people to seize the day for you.

Mech

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 09:35 PM

28. "But you know what I mean though. It's not overnight of course."
In response to Reply # 26

But it's the difference between not taking steps towards that goal... and going ahead and getting the job that'll get you the money to achieve it, or shaking the hands and making the connections necessary to get that money, or et cetera.

I didn't mean to undermine any of the hard work that it takes to raise the money to make a film, let alone the actual process of getting it done. But he expressed regret in not taking steps towards exercising his creative talents, and I was merely trying to encourage a fellow OKP creative type to do what it takes if that's what he thinks his calling is.

Mr Mech
8373 posts
Wed May-02-07 09:57 AM

40. "I didn't think you were undermining anything..."
In response to Reply # 28

...and I didn't mean to sound harsh in my response. But, when it comes to creating art, especially creating a film, it's difficult to determine where the best place to start is. Learning about filmmaking first hand can be an esoteric experience and it can be difficult to find ways to meet other filmmakers. There are plenty of books on the subject but I haven't read one yet that begins to illustrate how difficult even making a small film is. It boils down to how do you start when you want to start. I'm not saying it's impossible, but emotionally it can be very frustrating.

You hear so many people say all you have to do is work hard but sometimes you work very hard and still nothing happens. Then you keep working hard and nothing keeps happening. I get concerned for filmmakers and artists who are working hard but think they're not working hard enough because they haven't witnessed artistic or financial success.

Mech

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Wed May-02-07 12:47 AM

31. "Ultimately, that's what it comes down to."
In response to Reply # 26

I know people who've recorded albums in their bedrooms.

I know people who have directed documentaries--some nominated for awards--with nothing more than credit card debt, time and tons of work.

I know people with network deals who started by fucking around in a rec room with a video camera.

I'm not saying money doesn't help. It does. A lot. But most of the people I've seen succeed in the entertainment industry just sucked it up and did whatever the fuck they had to do to get it done.

Mr Mech
8373 posts
Wed May-02-07 01:59 AM

34. "I wasn't saying you had to have money..."
In response to Reply # 31

I'm saying you can't just start directing the way you can just start writing.

The really sucky thing is not being able to come up with an idea that can be made on the cheap or with limited resources.

Mech

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue May-01-07 06:23 PM

17. "using my art and tech skills in the service of others"
In response to Reply # 0

basically that is my vision

>what were your dreams
>in high school/college?

move to new york city, go to art college, and create my own career path

>How did those dreams evolve?

i was volunteering in a hospital for children throughout my high school years and considered studying art therapy but college lead me somewhere else...digital art

>What
>obstacles have you faced/overcome/continued to face?

lack of support

>Where do
>you see yourself ideally in 10 years?

managing some manifestation of my vision

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 08:49 PM

21. "In what manner would you use your art to help others?"
In response to Reply # 17

I'm assuming you're in the visual arts... what is your specialty? What type of vision do you have for your arts and how it will aid people? Elaborate on what you do, I guess, since I'm not in the know.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue May-01-07 09:15 PM

24. "RE: In what manner would you use your art to help others?"
In response to Reply # 21
Tue May-01-07 09:19 PM by Nettrice

>I'm assuming you're in the visual arts... what is your
>specialty?

i have an mfa in art and technology. this includes visual art, digital art, or digital media.

>What type of vision do you have for your arts and
>how it will aid people?

when I was in high school and volunteering i noticed that when i did art with sick kids it cheered them up and i felt good, as well. sometimes i would draw something when a kid was crying or in pain and it distracted them and before long we were making art together. it meant a lot to me that i had the time and freedom to do this. sometimes i volunteered 2-3 times per week and earned assistant nursing privileges like being able to person a station or play with babies and kids on my own.

one of my h.s. art teachers told me i was going to become a teacher and that was the last job i wanted. when i was 19 i became an art and tech intern for a summer arts program for talented teens. it was there that i realized my "purpose". the program had previously served surburban teens and when i was hired it was the first time they had a majority of urban teens and youth of color. i was given the freedom to create classes and enrichment activities for the art & tech students, so i ran a series of evening film screenings/forums. after each film we would have a discussion, or create a group project. this was before i even knew how to create a lesson plan. i screened Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing, Marlon Riggs' Ethnic Notions, and Style Wars. After the latter we had a big discussion about hip-hop and later we created a mural.

while i was teaching art in community-based programs all over New York i noticed that i was also advocating and mentoring young artists. it seemed to come naturally to me. i'm still doing this work. at some point i expanded the work to include adults in workforce development/training programs...then i became a visiting lecturer/professor. right now i am coordinating a pre-college digital art mentoring program that matches students from urban, or underserved high schools with college students. this semester they are working on a video p.s.a. to educate peers about art college life.

i also started an organization that provides resources for youth practitioners who want to develop their own digital art programs

Frank Longo
86639 posts
Tue May-01-07 09:27 PM

25. "That sounds really great and honorable."
In response to Reply # 24

Keep up the good work.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue May-01-07 09:34 PM

27. "thanks...i'm thinking about going corporate though"
In response to Reply # 25

it's often a thankless job

i think i'd lose my soul if i did anything else

hype_phb
Member since May 15th 2003
2281 posts
Wed May-02-07 01:10 AM

32. "The one thing that helped me out the most-"
In response to Reply # 0

-was to constantly keep in mind that it's one foot in front of the other.

I'm currently a freelance designer/animator. I went to film school at UT, and always knew that I wanted to move to LA and make movies and cartoons. While I was making films in school, I would make animations for them, title sequences, etc etc etc, as well as other assorted graphic things--stickers and shit that my roommates would put up around campus. I hustled up an internship at Detour Films, the animation house that made Waking Life, and used that to build relationships with various artists and musicians around town.

I made a few things in Austin, but quickly learned when I moved out to LA that people don't really give a fuck. So I got a list of music video production companies out here, 206 of them, and called them all. TWO of them agreed to meet me. One was cool, but didn't have full time work; the other did, so I went with them. While I was there I became friends with the directors on the roster, learned how things are done, and even scored a couple videos myself based on my animation skills. I was living my dream; I've always been obsessed with music videos, and here I was, directing them for a living. It was great.

I ended up leaving that place, kicked around a few other shops, and decided to go completely freelance at the beginning of '06. And let me tell you, that shit was nerve wracking. But you know what? I made a shitload of phone calls, mostly to places that didn't know who the hell I was, asking them to look at my work, and eventually, people started hiring me. I got thrown on to some really cool jobs, working on feature films, network spots, even some music videos. I'm making a living with my art, I call my own shots, and, basically, I'm happy.

So what's my point? My point is that I didn't start out going "I need to find a directing job." I started out calling everyone I could, looking for someone to hire me. When I found someone, I kept busting my ass working with them and sharpening my skills until someone noticed and gave me a shot at something bigger. I built that into more work, which begat more work, etc etc etc. The whole time I focused on doing what I was currently doing well, knowing that if I take care of that, it'll lead to something else. Make no mistake, it took a bunch of hustle, too. But I found that if you concentrate on doing things correctly, they eventually lead to bigger things. I watched my old roommates do it, too. They're screenwriters, with a pretty good deal with a major studio. I knew them when we were all just young punks in film school. But I watched them bust their ass writing scripts, which led to getting a manager, which led to an agent, which led to a better manager, which led to studio meetings, which led to their current gig. It wasn't easy, but they focused on doing what they were doing well, with the faith that it would build.

ps. gotta link to my site:

http://www.milesforpresident.com

Bringing you unpopular posts since 2003.

"Einstein has a formula, Wu Tang has a formula. A part equals a square and all that stuff, you know what I’m saying? We have a formula, too."

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Wed May-02-07 01:17 AM

33. "im not in the industry and im not all that talented"
In response to Reply # 0

but i wanted to say this is shaping up to be a great post with some already fantastic replies.

go get yours Longo!

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

colonelk
Member since Dec 10th 2002
5058 posts
Wed May-02-07 02:55 AM

35. "I'm making the films I want to make"
In response to Reply # 0

Albeit under budget constrictions that can be frustrating.

I use those same skills to make enough dough on the side to do the work I want to do. I don't live in LA, though every year another close friend moves there and increases the gravitational pull.

While I've hardly come close to breaking out, I think my work continually gets better and each film reaches a wider audience. I'm optimistic.

--------

hell-below.com

MC Rucifee at work
Member since Jan 11th 2005
1356 posts
Wed May-02-07 05:24 AM

36. "Ask yourself what you really want out of life first"
In response to Reply # 0

A cool career is just that. You're gonna work all the time and be poor. If you're ok having your life be about work, then go for it, but the happiest people in the world aren't working all the time.

I was fairly successful for 7 years in television production, but realized that I'd rather work 9 to 5 and spend more time with my friends and family doing fun things. I became an accountant and found happiness.

GdChil1
Member since Dec 05th 2003
14709 posts
Wed May-02-07 08:07 AM

37. "THICK THICK SKIN"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been in this game (television/record) industry going on 5 years now and I have to tell you that above anything else, even your writing skills, you must have THICK THICK skin.
In La La land, in NYC, in any major city with a real entertainment stronghold you have to it. People get paid to put down your shit. That's a real simple way of saying it but it's the truth. That doesn't make them right and you wrong, I see it as a way to weed out those who are not obsessively passionate about there craft.

Wow, my login still works 🤦ðŸ¾â€â™‚ï¸

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Wed May-02-07 09:52 AM

39. "Music"
In response to Reply # 0

is my talent
I wanted to do it since I was a kid
when I was in high school/Junior high I thought I was gonna play football for the rest of my life

After that didnt work out like that
I still had my fist love

My music is well recieved
the battle is just getting it out there
I have been in a group but after going through circled w/ people who pretty much dont wanna do shit

I have been on my own
I am making a lot of contacts
and getting a lot of support

Its like I know its gonna work out
but I know that the chances are slim
considering that every body and they grandma raps or is a producer

in 10 years I see my production company moving into other relms such as film and TV besides just the music

i plan on having contributions on at least 80 pretty major projects by then

I do this shit because when i wake up in the morning all i think about is making heat

and when I go to sleep
its all i think of

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #278056 Previous topic | Next topic