Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #261724

Subject: "okay let's talk BOOKS again for a switch up" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"okay let's talk BOOKS again for a switch up"

I just finished re-reading Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake this morning, in anticipation of the movie, which certainly can't follow the whole story, but looks like it will be quite beautiful nonetheless.

I'm also reading Rafi Zabor's, I, Wabenzi, and liking it very much even though I keep putting it down for some reason.

Also, recently started Preacher 2, eek.

And I'm carrying with me and slowly starting to re-read The History of Love, by Nicole Krause. There's something in that book that I want to find again, but I've already found some nice passages I hadn't remembered.

You?

~~~~~

It is painful in the extreme to live with questions rather than with answers, but that is the only honorable intellectual course. (c) Norman Mailer

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
hmmm... well, i just discovered Alain Mabanckou's African Psycho
Mar 07th 2007
it's uhhhhh pretty intense
Mar 07th 2007
finally finished Lolita last night
Mar 07th 2007
i'm still yet to read this
Mar 07th 2007
Lolita is a book to read aloud
Mar 07th 2007
      this has to be the closest a novel has EVER come to being a poem..
Mar 07th 2007
           he wrote it in English?
Mar 07th 2007
                yeah, it's everything everyone ever told you
Mar 07th 2007
                     observing the US from a distance is the best way to...
Mar 12th 2007
reading PR: A Social History of Spin by Stuart Ewen
Mar 07th 2007
sometimes books like this are great
Mar 07th 2007
      this one
Mar 07th 2007
           it will be in the bargain bin at Barnes and Nobles in two weeks prolly
Mar 07th 2007
I Just Got All Aunt Hagar's Children.....
Mar 07th 2007
oooh I bet you'll like that one a lot
Mar 07th 2007
I finished "The Long Goodbye"...
Mar 07th 2007
Sturgeon's Revelation?
Mar 07th 2007
      RE: Sturgeon's Revelation?
Mar 07th 2007
           yeah, Theodore Sturgeon was an SF writer
Mar 07th 2007
The Prep Time Posse officialy welcomes newest member, janey.
Mar 07th 2007
yeah no KIDDING
Mar 07th 2007
i'm not sure if janey means floppies >> OGNs per se
Mar 07th 2007
      I think she specifically mentioned monthly something or other
Mar 07th 2007
           the way i interpreted it
Mar 07th 2007
                okay as far as I know you two are talking about the same thing
Mar 07th 2007
Read Bloodbrothers by Richard Price yesterday
Mar 07th 2007
how recent is that Richard Price book?
Mar 07th 2007
      Published 1976
Mar 07th 2007
           whoa were you even ALIVE then?
Mar 07th 2007
                No, but I was in demand already
Mar 07th 2007
reading House of Meetings - Amis
Mar 07th 2007
yeah, I did read it, and I also saw him speak
Mar 07th 2007
Finishing up "Black Like You" and about to start "A New Earth"
Mar 07th 2007
I saw that in a bookstore recently and wondered about it
Mar 07th 2007
      I picked it out of a "Free book" bin the other day
Mar 07th 2007
           I don't know if you've seen me mention Todd Boyd
Mar 07th 2007
                interesting...thanks for the recommendation
Mar 07th 2007
Coetzee
Mar 07th 2007
haha, yeah, I can binge on Roth but then I have to purge, too
Mar 07th 2007
      Roth is like a fly in my ear
Mar 07th 2007
      I heard that in Spaulding Grey's voice
Mar 07th 2007
      Foe is great!
Mar 07th 2007
I'm re-reading Jim Dodson's "Final Rounds"
Mar 07th 2007
I remember when you first wrote about that
Mar 07th 2007
      I don't recall ever mentioning Final Rounds on these boards
Mar 08th 2007
           It must have been another one, probably a boxing one, lol
Mar 08th 2007
I'm in to Assignation by Joyce Carol Oates right now
Mar 07th 2007
ha, I used to know someone who operated on the assumption
Mar 07th 2007
      lol it hasn't been so bad
Mar 07th 2007
Just bought 100 Years of Solitude
Mar 07th 2007
I copped Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling last weekend.
Mar 07th 2007
Diary of a Seducer changed my life
Mar 08th 2007
Just finished "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai
Mar 08th 2007
how was that?
Mar 09th 2007
oh shit I bought three more books yesterday
Mar 08th 2007
Speaking of India
Mar 08th 2007
      oh I liked that one VERY much
Mar 08th 2007
Rereading The Samurai Way of Baseball
Mar 08th 2007
My most recent was Murakami's Kafka on the Shore
Mar 08th 2007
great book
Mar 09th 2007
just finished rereading *alas, babylon*, starting *the known world*
Mar 08th 2007
that reminds me...
Mar 09th 2007
RE: okay let's talk BOOBS again for a switch up
Mar 09th 2007
I just finished A Fine Balance
Mar 09th 2007
The God of Small Things
Mar 09th 2007
reading "why black people tend to shout" now
Mar 09th 2007
Edward P. Jones is making a lot of authors regardless of race...
Mar 12th 2007
The Name of The Rose
Mar 11th 2007

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "hmmm... well, i just discovered Alain Mabanckou's African Psycho"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-07-07 03:14 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

but other than that, i'm vacillating between two nonfiction tomes:

Cuban Fire: The Story of Salsa and Latin Jazz, by Isabelle Leymarie
Hollywood Cartoons: American Animation in Its Golden Age, by Michael Barrier

oh yeah, i think you're in for a treat with the second volume of Preacher. "Till The End of the World" was one of my favorite story arcs.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "it's uhhhhh pretty intense"
In response to Reply # 1

what with the tv thing and now this, my psychic energy has my cats climbing the walls.

I think one of them was channeling Preacher yesterday when it vomited in the middle of my bed. Ten years with these cats and they've never done that before. What a lovely treat to come home to.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "finally finished Lolita last night"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-07-07 03:33 PM by Deebot

my thoughts are: definitely one of the best books i've ever read, but it has its lulls (middle portions...the beginning and ending are incredibly strong), and has passages that were over my head...particularly every French outburst and the allusions to scholarly stuff that I have no knowledge about. This book pretty much has it all though...weirdness, sadness, and humor. I still can't get over the brilliance of certain passages...such as....

"There are two kinds of visual memory: one when you skillfully recreate an image in the laboratory of your mind, with your eyes open (and then I see Annabel in such general terms as: "honey-colored skin," "thin arms," "brown bobbed hair," "long lashes," "big bright mouth"); and the other when you instantly evoke, with shut eyes, on the dark innerside of your eyelids, the objective, absolutely optical replica of a beloved face, a little ghost in natural colors (and this is how I see Lolita)."

"Or is it because I can imagine so well the rest of the colorful classroom around my dolorous and hazy darling: Grace and her ripe pimples; Ginny and her lagging leg; Gordon, the haggard masturbator; Duncan, the foul-smelling clown; nail-biting Agnes; Viola, of the blackheads and the bouncing bust; pretty Rosaline; dark Mary Rose; adorable Stella, who has let strangers touch her; Ralph, who bullies and steals; Irving, for whom I am sorry. And there she is there, lost in the middle, gnawing a pencil, detested by teachers, all the boys' eyes on her hair and neck, my Lolita."

"The science of nympholepsy is a precise science."

"The road now stretched across open country, and it occurred to me--not by way of protest, not as a symbol, or anything like that, but merely as a novel experience--that since I had disregarded all laws of humanity, I might as well disregard the rules of traffic."

"Reader! What I heard was but the melody of children at play, nothing but that, and so limpid was the air that within this vapor of blended voices, majestic and minute, remote and magically near, frank and divinely enigmatic--one could hear now and then, as if released, an almost articulate spurt of vivid laughter, or the crack of a bat, or the clatter of a toy wagon, but it was all really too far for the eye to distinguish any movement in the lightly etched streets. I stood listening to that musical vibration from my lofty slope, to those flashes of separate cries with a kind of demure murmur for background, and then I knew that the hopelessly poignant thing was not Lolita's absence from my side, but the absence of her voice from that concord."

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "i'm still yet to read this"
In response to Reply # 3

(and any Nabokov at all, sadly)

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:36 PM

6. "Lolita is a book to read aloud"
In response to Reply # 3

to savor the sensations of the words in your mouth as you read it. Sometimes I pull it out just to read the opening page or so to the cats.

This was a book that I avoided for years and years because it was a "classic," so I thought it wouldn't be relevant or interesting. oh boy

you know?

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "this has to be the closest a novel has EVER come to being a poem.."
In response to Reply # 6

with all the alliteration, etc. And yeah, like you said earlier, ENGLISH WAS NOT HIS FIRST LANGUAGE. That needs to be repeated. Fucking incredible.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:45 PM

8. "he wrote it in English?"
In response to Reply # 7

i actually didn't know that

i'm gonna pick it up... soon

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:50 PM

9. "yeah, it's everything everyone ever told you"
In response to Reply # 8

and more.

I mean, on top of everything else, he captures a sense of the US that I completely recognize. Maybe it could best be seen by someone not born here. And it's not parody, even though it's funny.

Maybe we should turn this into our sigs: ENGLISH WAS NOT NABAKOV'S FIRST LANGUAGE

lol

jasonprague
Member since Sep 29th 2005
1900 posts
Mon Mar-12-07 02:51 AM

68. "observing the US from a distance is the best way to..."
In response to Reply # 9

fully understand it. its been 6 years since i left the America, where i'm orginally from, and i understand it so much better now...

PEACE

"The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting." - Kundera

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:33 PM

4. "reading PR: A Social History of Spin by Stuart Ewen"
In response to Reply # 0

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:57 PM

12. "sometimes books like this are great"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Mar-07-07 03:58 PM by janey

and sometimes they suck something AWFUL.

In a bookstore yesterday (this is off topic, well, maybe not), I saw a recently published biography of Barbaro: A Love Story With America or some dumb shit like that.

edit to add: by the way, this wasn't a huge stupid chain bookstore, either. This was a discriminating, thoughtful, independent bookstore. So I don't know what the hell that book was doing there.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:59 PM

13. "this one"
In response to Reply # 12

http://www.amazon.com/Barbaro-Nations-Pamela-K-Brodowsky/dp/0061284858/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4288613-5367050?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173301146&sr=8-1

and may I add that when I was searching for it on amazon I learned that it is only one of THREE current bios of this fuckin horse?

jeebus cripes

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 09:03 PM

47. "it will be in the bargain bin at Barnes and Nobles in two weeks prolly"
In response to Reply # 13

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17894 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:53 PM

10. "I Just Got All Aunt Hagar's Children....."
In response to Reply # 0

Looking forward to it.....

http://cscpov.blogspot.com/

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
-George Clinton

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 03:56 PM

11. "oooh I bet you'll like that one a lot"
In response to Reply # 10

keep me posted on that

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 04:09 PM

14. "I finished "The Long Goodbye"..."
In response to Reply # 0

... in between a couple projects for school. I think it was Chandler's best, though I'm pleased to say I'm not entirely certain about that.

I think that, right behind science fiction, American crime writers have suffered second most from the public's failure to recognize Sturgeon's Revelation.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 04:11 PM

15. "Sturgeon's Revelation?"
In response to Reply # 14

can't say that i know what that is, but i can kinda guess...

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 04:15 PM

16. "RE: Sturgeon's Revelation?"
In response to Reply # 15

I don't know who Sturgeon is, but I assume from the story that he was a Sci-Fi writer. The anecdote goes: In response to the allegation that "90% of science fiction is crap" he offered that "90% of everything is crap".

And that's Sturgeon's Revelation.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 04:26 PM

18. "yeah, Theodore Sturgeon was an SF writer"
In response to Reply # 16

and yup... i was familiar with the quote but i didn't know there was a formal name for it! lol

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 04:19 PM

17. "The Prep Time Posse officialy welcomes newest member, janey."
In response to Reply # 0

or maybe not. Either way, success on the 3d (?) try isn't too bad... i'd like to run your hypothesis of monthly installments >>> graphic novel by the rest of the gang.

Either way, I'm working my way through the trade paperbacks of Sleeper, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Given that you read an amount of detective/crime fiction, I think you might like this one, though probably not as much as Criminal by the same pair.

I also got a copy of Inheritance of Loss for my birthday. It's on my bedstand, but the damn comics keep getting in the way. Be careful, janey.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 04:26 PM

19. "yeah no KIDDING"
In response to Reply # 17

not just the comic book stuff, but the tv stuff too.

I was remembering last night that I've never ever said that I didn't watch tv because it was *bad.* I didn't watch tv because it was scarily powerful.

So now I've got all these crazy obsessions to assuage and only you kids to blame for it.

get over here and lemme spank ya

~~~~~

It is painful in the extreme to live with questions rather than with answers, but that is the only honorable intellectual course. (c) Norman Mailer

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 04:27 PM

20. "i'm not sure if janey means floppies >> OGNs per se"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed Mar-07-07 04:27 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

but rather that "comic books" are generally more fun than "graphic novels"

ya know what i mean?

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 05:12 PM

23. "I think she specifically mentioned monthly something or other"
In response to Reply # 20

I was going to say syndication, but that's not right.

Either way, it made me say 'hmmmmm....'

and it'd be hard to press a case either way.

Preacher is def. more fun than Persephone, though. (I thought Blankets was a lot of fun, though, so...)

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 05:26 PM

26. "the way i interpreted it"
In response to Reply # 23

was that "regular" comics that come out monthly and are aimed at nerdy comic geeks tend to be better than serious "graphic novels" that are aimed at the New Yorker crowd and aspire to "respectability for the genre" and all that

i know which one *I* prefer, of course...

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 05:31 PM

27. "okay as far as I know you two are talking about the same thing"
In response to Reply # 26

I think there's a better arc in comic books that are produced serially (and then bound into books) than in books that are written as graphic novels. I think Persepolis was for a new yorker crowd in many respects, but not Blankets, and neither of those did much for me.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 04:37 PM

21. "Read Bloodbrothers by Richard Price yesterday"
In response to Reply # 0

Jesus that was depressing. Great. But it feels like wallowing in human garbage for the first 50 pages and after that point it merely transitions into a questionably decent guy struggling with the choice of getting out of it all.
Price really does write the most authentic dialogue around.

I also read Black Swan Green and enjoyed it immensely. What could be more fun that revisiting puberty right?

Now I'm finally reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 05:31 PM

28. "how recent is that Richard Price book?"
In response to Reply # 21

Super extra new? Like is that the reason he's coming to SF this month?

I guess I know what I'll be buying tonight at a bookstore I'm planning to drop in on.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 07:51 PM

41. "Published 1976"
In response to Reply # 28

Second novel.

_

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 07:51 PM

42. "whoa were you even ALIVE then?"
In response to Reply # 41

no, huh?

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 08:45 PM

44. "No, but I was in demand already"
In response to Reply # 42

_

jasonprague
1900 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 04:49 PM

22. "reading House of Meetings - Amis"
In response to Reply # 0

didnt you read it? like what i read so far only about 30 pages in. glad i read Gulag by Applebaum so i'm sorta familiar with the stuff in the prsion he's talking about though i hope that doesnt take anything away from House of Meetings for me...

PEACE

"The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting." - Kundera

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 05:32 PM

29. "yeah, I did read it, and I also saw him speak"
In response to Reply # 22

so when you get further into it or finish it, we can talk about some of the themes and stuff

~~~~~

mcdeezjawns
Charter member
26056 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 05:19 PM

24. "Finishing up "Black Like You" and about to start "A New Earth""
In response to Reply # 0

"Black Like You, Blackface, whiteface, insult, and imitation in American Popular Culture" By John Strausbaugh

This shit is mad interesting. It basically outlines the history of blackface and minstrelsy, and the role that both races played in it. THe history is a lot more grey than it is Black and white(forgive the pun)

Next up Is Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth, Awakening to your lifes Purpose"
It was recommended by a dear friend and is came along at a time where I am dealing with a lot of life changing thoughts and whatnot.
Has anyone else read this yet?

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 05:37 PM

31. "I saw that in a bookstore recently and wondered about it"
In response to Reply # 24
Wed Mar-07-07 05:38 PM by janey

Black Like You, I mean.

The closest thing I've come to Eckhart Tolle is Derrick Jenkins and that's not very close, lol.

mcdeezjawns
Charter member
26056 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 06:15 PM

33. "I picked it out of a "Free book" bin the other day"
In response to Reply # 31

My office is next to the local weekly paper..They put out a box of help yourself free books. I dug through it and grabbed that.
Its a very interesting read...I tend to gravitate towards history books for my reading for the most part, and this one fit the bill.
For anyone with an "obsession"( not the right word, but you know what I mean) with race relations and studying that sort of stuff, I think its a must read...
especially considering the modern face of pop hip hop

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 06:27 PM

34. "I don't know if you've seen me mention Todd Boyd"
In response to Reply # 33

I ran across a book of his recently, The New H.N.I.C., comparing the "civil rights" generation to the "hip hop" generation, and raising some really good questions. I thought this one might be along the same lines...

mcdeezjawns
Charter member
26056 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 06:31 PM

35. "interesting...thanks for the recommendation"
In response to Reply # 34

native_son
Charter member
776 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 05:26 PM

25. "Coetzee"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-07-07 05:35 PM by native_son

I ripped through Disgrace and started Waiting for The Barbarians last night. I don't see too much talk about Coetzee on these boards. His prose is fucking terse.

Operation Shylock stopped my Roth binge. I've had enough of him. I don't know if I can return.

native son

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 05:36 PM

30. "haha, yeah, I can binge on Roth but then I have to purge, too"
In response to Reply # 25

The most profoundly affecting class I took in college was a class called Philosophy in Literature. About 15 years after I graduated, I wrote to my professor and told him that I still remembered the reading list and I still was being changed by the books we read. So he wrote back and said, in that case, read Foe. That's the one I'm really hot on right now.

I never could. I read Disgrace, but Foe just never did much for me. Waiting for the Barbarians is considered greatness among many people I know, and I couldn't read that one either....

~~~~~

native_son
Charter member
776 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 05:44 PM

32. "Roth is like a fly in my ear"
In response to Reply # 30

On the one hand its impressive how he lays his neurosis bare on the page, on the other its just plain maddening. Women in particular suffer in his pages.

Digrace blew me away. The pessimism of the book was relentless. I'll check out Foe next.

native son

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 06:35 PM

36. "I heard that in Spaulding Grey's voice"
In response to Reply # 32

"devil in my ear"

from Swimming to Cambodia

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 08:52 PM

45. "Foe is great!"
In response to Reply # 30

_

TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 06:51 PM

37. "I'm re-reading Jim Dodson's "Final Rounds""
In response to Reply # 0

Such a beautiful book. It's even better the 2nd time around, now that I have some perspective.

"They can go out and get whoever they want, sign whoever they want. I'm going to be the premier back in this offense." -- Brandon Jacobs, 2/27/07

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 07:23 PM

40. "I remember when you first wrote about that"
In response to Reply # 37

It's really wonderful that you actually love what you do. I wish I had that.

TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 11:04 AM

50. "I don't recall ever mentioning Final Rounds on these boards"
In response to Reply # 40

But I do recommend that you read it.

It's not really about golf. Anybody who has ever had a father will be touched by it.

"They can go out and get whoever they want, sign whoever they want. I'm going to be the premier back in this offense." -- Brandon Jacobs, 2/27/07

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 11:19 AM

51. "It must have been another one, probably a boxing one, lol"
In response to Reply # 50

Rounds, you know.

oh well

~~~~~

crow
Member since Feb 23rd 2005
4034 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 07:13 PM

38. "I'm in to Assignation by Joyce Carol Oates right now"
In response to Reply # 0

It's mandatory for a class and besides that just reading a lot of short stories..

Just read John Updikes- Packed Dirt,Churchgoing, A Dead Cat, A Traded Car...amazing short story I'd highly recommend checking out

*Note to self: Add Sig*

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 07:21 PM

39. "ha, I used to know someone who operated on the assumption"
In response to Reply # 38

that no one read Joyce Carol Oates voluntarily.

I've only really read one book by her. She just leaves me completely cold. lol

crow
Member since Feb 23rd 2005
4034 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 08:54 PM

46. "lol it hasn't been so bad"
In response to Reply # 39

I've only read a few of the short stories, they seem decent enough not painful. Very quick too so I can read it in quick bursts.

*Note to self: Add Sig*

SepiaSylph
Member since Nov 09th 2005
15422 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 08:20 PM

43. "Just bought 100 Years of Solitude"
In response to Reply # 0

but haven't started on it yet.

Because of Yoshitaka Amano, I want to read 'The Tale of the Genji' next but I dunno yet.

Battousai
Charter member
4386 posts
Wed Mar-07-07 09:51 PM

48. "I copped Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling last weekend."
In response to Reply # 0

Looking at it makes me tremble in fear.

--

Your San Francisco Giants: 4.26.2005 - 8.15.2005.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 10:59 AM

49. "Diary of a Seducer changed my life"
In response to Reply # 48

I first read it at 16 or 17. And was like, oh shit.

~~~~~

DrummerBoy
Member since Oct 26th 2004
2457 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 11:40 AM

52. "Just finished "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai"
In response to Reply # 0

And once this thesis defense is out of the way, I'll start reading "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.

jasonprague
1900 posts
Fri Mar-09-07 11:39 AM

62. "how was that?"
In response to Reply # 52

PEACE

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 12:14 PM

53. "oh shit I bought three more books yesterday"
In response to Reply # 0

I bought them at a small, independent, worker-owned bookstore, but here are the amazon links anyway, lol:

The Shadow Lines, by Amitav Ghosh. I picked this up because I've recently been reading a number of books that are set in India, and so it attracted me. I know nothing about it. But I trust the bookstore.

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Lines-Novel-Amitav-Ghosh/dp/061832996X/ref=pd_sim_b_2/103-4288613-5367050

Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health, by Marion Nestle. I've been wanting to read something of hers because I'm going to see her speak in May, and also because I've heard she's really terrific. This one looked promising and also it's heavy but not so heavy as to be prohibitive. Many of her books just weigh too much to carry around comfortably, and it takes a certain determination on my part to read a book that I can't carry with me.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Politics-Influences-Nutrition-California/dp/0520240677/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4288613-5367050?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173373184&sr=1-1

And, finally, Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present, by Harriet A. Washington. A couple of people here mentioned it, and I trust the bookstore, and when I took a look at it, I sensed that it was written in a way that I would like/appreciate.

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Apartheid-Experimentation-Americans-Colonial/dp/0385509936/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4288613-5367050?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173373303&sr=1-1

native_son
Charter member
776 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 01:19 PM

54. "Speaking of India"
In response to Reply # 53

How was Sacred Games? I have it planned for a vacation read next month and was wondering if its worth the time.

native son

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 01:27 PM

55. "oh I liked that one VERY much"
In response to Reply # 54

It's a good story and it completely keeps your interest, so it's good for vacation reading, and at the same time there are these wonderful little interludes throughout that are just thoroughly satisfying.

I admit that I was somewhat predisposed to like it because Vikram Chandra (1) is a hottie and (2) graduated from the same college that I did, two years after me, so I've kind of wondered periodically whether we ever ran into each other on campus and maybe I *should* start attending those reunions, heh heh heh.

No but really, I thought it was terrific. I'd also read a review of it in the New Yorker that was somewhat disparaging, and with which I completely disagree.

~~~~~

dr invisible
Member since Sep 19th 2002
3467 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 02:24 PM

56. "Rereading The Samurai Way of Baseball"
In response to Reply # 0

A Robert Whiting book about the more recent wave of Japanese baseball players to the US. Gets at some of the cultural differences that underly the different interpretations of the same game and how it is played. His previous book, Gotta Have Wa, looked at American players going to Japan to play so this one gives us the other way of looking at it. As a hardcover, it was called the Meaning of Ichiro, which reminds me that the whole book is worth reading just for the first chapter about Ichiro's upbringing and his father, Nobuyuki. And I quote,
"A person does not live alone. Our lives are not out own. They are a gift from heaven. Just like our physical bodies. We are created and nurtured by our parents, by all mankind, by the wind and the rain, by the food we eat and countless other things that have supported our hearts, soul and spirit. So, in a sense, they are not really our bodies. We live because we are allowed to live. I taught this to my son Ichiro again and again."

Dr. Seuss
Member since Aug 25th 2005
2919 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 05:19 PM

57. "My most recent was Murakami's Kafka on the Shore"
In response to Reply # 0

There's something about his books that cut to my core

dM
Charter member
9356 posts
Fri Mar-09-07 04:48 AM

61. "great book"
In response to Reply # 57

nothing like some good oedipal/incest action to calm me down before I sleep.

Also bonus points for mentioning Radiohead and John Coltrane.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 11:54 PM

58. "just finished rereading *alas, babylon*, starting *the known world*"
In response to Reply # 0

i read alas, babylon when I was 12 or so, and either don't remember or didn't pick up on the feel of the era. really excited about starting this one because of all the good things I've heard.

next up sellevision...been recommended but i don't know how i feel about augusten burroughs.

wbgirl
Charter member
5929 posts
Fri Mar-09-07 12:33 AM

59. "that reminds me..."
In response to Reply # 0

i need to re-read the namesake. i'd forgotten about the movie (i think maybe i blocked it out on purpose, lol) and i need to revisit the book.

right now i'm reading "kickboxing geishas" by veronica chambers. it's eh. i think i need to add a column to my "books i read this year" spreadsheet so i can track how many books i've mentally copy-edited while reading.

just sayin'.

~~wbg~~
"Hell is hell, however you trick it out."
--Anne Lamott

http://www.urbantherapy.org

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Fri Mar-09-07 03:51 AM

60. "RE: okay let's talk BOOBS again for a switch up"
In response to Reply # 0

i totally misread that.

Jasmine
Member since Aug 06th 2002
233 posts
Fri Mar-09-07 03:19 PM

63. "I just finished A Fine Balance"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't even know what to say....

the last part of the story had me talking out loud trying to push away what I knew would happen. It just feels like so much happened that it wiped me out. Maneck was disappointing. And mr.valmick, he was like some type of literary device that could always sum up your feelings to that point in a proseful way plus he had the title line.

It's so much to digest...

it was heart breaking but I loved it

"time is a thief that leaves nothing behind"

dM
Charter member
9356 posts
Fri Mar-09-07 09:07 PM

64. "The God of Small Things"
In response to Reply # 0

by Arundhati Roy

Amazing book. Its the last book in a Southasian lit class I'm taking, and a great way to finish things off.

The character development, the sequencing, the details (the details!!). All around wonderful. I have to imagine she writes poetry as well.

I read it in like a week because I felt I had to make up for wasted time after the book I read before.

A Song of Stone by Iain Banks. I really tried to get into this book. And there were some interesting sentences. and creative descriptions. But the awful plot and second-person narrative (you did this, I did that, etc) just messed it all up. Second person narratives are especially disturbing when describing sex. I just shivered a little bit.

Next, I don't know. Ulysses?

Villain
Member since Jun 19th 2005
8439 posts
Fri Mar-09-07 11:06 PM

65. "reading "why black people tend to shout" now"
In response to Reply # 0

next up is 100 Years of Solitude (ordered both at the same time but the first book was shorter)

after that it's Norwegian Wood.

btw can anybody put me up on some contemporary black authors? fiction or non is irrelevant.

__
it's 99 cents, you cheap bitch. --dula dos pistolas

jasonprague
1900 posts
Mon Mar-12-07 02:47 AM

67. "Edward P. Jones is making a lot of authors regardless of race..."
In response to Reply # 65

look like amateurs...

PEACE

THartmann
Member since Mar 11th 2007
11 posts
Sun Mar-11-07 06:34 PM

66. "The Name of The Rose"
In response to Reply # 0

by Umberto Eco. I'm rereadng this and everytime I do I'm pulled into the beauty of the story, if a murder mystery can be beautiful. Maybe because it is translated from italian?

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #261724 Previous topic | Next topic