Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #247944

Subject: "Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue Jan-23-07 10:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"

The second mystery of season three, the murder of Dean O'Dell, starts tonight. Anybody else watching?

I've got my money on Tim the TA. That guy's super creepy, so I'll just keep guessing that whatever went wrong, he did it. I'll be right eventually.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2
Jan 23rd 2007
Jan 23rd 2007
Jan 23rd 2007
This show keeps getting better and better
Jan 23rd 2007
3.10: Show Me the Monkey
Jan 24th 2007
RE: 3.10: Show Me the Monkey
Jan 24th 2007
I think the situation was a bit abnormal
Jan 24th 2007
i hate that veronica
Jan 24th 2007
It's not gonna be Tim
Jan 24th 2007
RE: It's not gonna be Tim
Jan 24th 2007
i liked the episode
Jan 26th 2007
For some reason I haven't been feeling this season as much
Jan 25th 2007
RE: For some reason I haven't been feeling this season as much
Jan 25th 2007
Damn, I thought Logan and Veronica would stay apart longer
Jan 25th 2007
I agree that something w/ her moms would be good...
Jan 26th 2007
Last night's was pretty damned good...
Jan 31st 2007
RE: Last night's was pretty damned good...
Jan 31st 2007
RE: Last night's was pretty damned good...
Feb 03rd 2007
These first two episodes of Mystery #2 have been really good
Feb 03rd 2007
"Postgame Mortem"
Feb 14th 2007
Feb 14th 2007
Feb 14th 2007
Is that actually FOUR good episodes in a row?
Feb 14th 2007
You didn't Like "Spit and Eggs"??
Feb 15th 2007
It's definitely getting better
Feb 14th 2007
WAIT!? So Keith Mars is now THE SHERIFF???
Feb 20th 2007
I can't find the rationale behind that
Feb 20th 2007
      He never did anything right
Feb 21st 2007
HOLY SHIT (spoilers)
Feb 20th 2007
Feb 21st 2007
Feb 22nd 2007
Feb 22nd 2007
So you stuck with it then?
Feb 22nd 2007
      I saw it on one Tuesday night
Feb 22nd 2007
Meanwhile
Feb 24th 2007
Feb 22nd 2007
Papa's Cabin
Feb 28th 2007
I disagree
Feb 28th 2007
I liked that scene too
Feb 28th 2007
Exactly
Feb 28th 2007
What's on tap for the rest of the season?
Feb 28th 2007
      I fear for next season
Feb 28th 2007
           That Pussycat Dolls show got a lot of viewers, apparently
Mar 08th 2007
                My point exactly
Mar 08th 2007
Feb 28th 2007
Just finished watching it
Mar 08th 2007
just got through season one,
Jan 29th 2008
Kristen Bell on Vericona Mars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jan 29th 2008
      Kristen Bell
Jan 30th 2008
VM movie?
Jan 26th 2009
does anyone want a link to PolarBearToenail's Rob Thomas interview?
Jan 26th 2009
i JUST GOT STARTED ON DISC FOUR OF SEASON ONE
Jan 26th 2009
Walleye got me watching, too
Jan 26th 2009
Discovered it late, but one of my favorite shows, period.
Jan 26th 2009

invoice
Member since Aug 15th 2005
343 posts
Tue Jan-23-07 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, hey, Tim is the same dude who played Lucky in season 2, right? And Tim's nickname is also Lucky, right? What's the significance of that? Looking forward to this.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue Jan-23-07 11:09 AM

2. "RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"
In response to Reply # 1

>Yeah, hey, Tim is the same dude who played Lucky in season 2,
>right? And Tim's nickname is also Lucky, right? What's the
>significance of that? Looking forward to this.

Yeah, it's the same guy with a terrible wig. Have they ever called Tim by the nickname "Lucky" on the actual show? I've read people do that online, but I thought it was only to point out that it was the same actor.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

invoice
343 posts
Tue Jan-23-07 01:48 PM

3. "RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah, in the first ep of the season he was introduced as Tim "Lucky" whatever by the professor. On one hand I totally see him as the killer, but on the other I think that he's almost too crazy of a character to have shot O'Dell, like it would almost be too obvious. This should be good, though. I read an interview yesterday where Rob Thomas said that Michael Cera (George Michael Bluth of Arrested Development) was supposed to play the Moe character but scheduling conflicts made it impossible...pretty interesting.

OminousEther
Member since Nov 22nd 2002
4739 posts
Tue Jan-23-07 05:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "This show keeps getting better and better"
In response to Reply # 0

I pray to GOD those fucks at The CW renew the series for next season.

"These niggas got price tags on their forehead."- Saigon

http://www.last.fm/user/OlH8fulBastard

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Jan-24-07 09:52 AM

5. "3.10: Show Me the Monkey"
In response to Reply # 0

This was a pretty good return for the show, and it apparently received solid ratings having only to compete against Bush. The lack of a weighty mystery was sort of nice, as I like to be broken into that stuff slowly and there was some pretty funny writing: Dick throwing polaroids of his junk off the balcony, Mac's "so my mollusk shoes are okay?", Logan and Dick's exchange about how "Garden State" wasn't a book, and actually everything else with Dick in it. It's good to be fully rid of angsty Dick, though that was fun for awhile.

I still think Lucky Tim is the guy for the murder, but Prof. Landry is appearing an increasingly smug asshole, so any sort of comeuppance for him would be delightful.

--Walleye's Dad

invoice
343 posts
Wed Jan-24-07 11:30 AM

6. "RE: 3.10: Show Me the Monkey"
In response to Reply # 5

I was kind of disappointed. Some funny parts, but overall it was more of a "girly" episode--romance, etc--not my television bag. Something that I loved about the first couple seasons was how it was so stylized--grainy, good camera shots, filtered flashbacks, noir voiceover. I missed those things VERY much last night. I hope they don't abandon those things all together, because they made the show stand out for me.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Jan-24-07 11:42 AM

7. "I think the situation was a bit abnormal"
In response to Reply # 6

>I hope they don't abandon those things
>all together, because they made the show stand out for me.

I agree, but last night's episode was in the somewhat uncharted area (for this show) of starting a new mystery arc where the mystery was already entirely revealed. I don't think that left as much room as usual for noir.

Furthermore, the last episode was *really* dark. The only reason I was prepared for more shady doings was that there was a six week layoff, which wasn't the show's choice. I think this episode followed pretty naturally as a light one after a dark one, but it seemed unnecessarily light because of the time lapse.

Anyhow, I share your concern, particularly because they're clearly trying to rope in new viewers (but not as badly as Gilmore Girls, which had awful looooong bits of exposition of the earlier part of the season for new viewers. That show is officially terrible.) but I have a fair amount of faith in the producers. If they wanted to go the light and airy route, they would have started at the beginning of the season. And would have avoided a rape mystery.

--Walleye's Dad

virgoness
Charter member
8001 posts
Wed Jan-24-07 12:23 PM

8. "i hate that veronica"
In response to Reply # 5

got back with logan.. its like why..... also she JUST realized that piz got the hots for her..... her face at the end was priceless..

where was wallace, piz needed that shoulder to cry on...

he walks away
the sun goes down
he takes the day but i'm grown

alexw
Member since Dec 11th 2005
40 posts
Wed Jan-24-07 02:39 PM

9. "It's not gonna be Tim"
In response to Reply # 5

or the professor, for that matter. The fact that they're the only plausible suspects right now rules them out. I know that is backwards logic, but that's how this show works.

I mean, i guess the mobster guy from the mini-finale is more of a suspect than tim, but still. It's never the creepy guy.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Jan-24-07 03:07 PM

10. "RE: It's not gonna be Tim"
In response to Reply # 9

>or the professor, for that matter. The fact that they're the
>only plausible suspects right now rules them out. I know that
>is backwards logic, but that's how this show works.
>
>I mean, i guess the mobster guy from the mini-finale is more
>of a suspect than tim, but still. It's never the creepy guy.

My head is all mixed up because of the flipflop they pulled in the last arc. Moe was actually the most reasonable first suspect: he had keys, he drove the drunkcart, and he was always offering people beverages. But then he just kept hanging around and acting goofy and harmless and I forgot all about him.

I forgot about the toughguy alumnus though. That's a good one.

--Walleye's Dad

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 09:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "i liked the episode"
In response to Reply # 5

the chemistry between the 3 girls was GREAT...i kept thinking about how hot Mac really is...it wasn't a great episode mystery wise, and i don't care for Veronica/Logan Piz triangle, but i understood...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 11:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "For some reason I haven't been feeling this season as much"
In response to Reply # 0

as the first two. Maybe it's because the 'big cases/mysteries' this season don't seem to be so close to home as Season 1 and 2.

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:17 PM

12. "RE: For some reason I haven't been feeling this season as much"
In response to Reply # 11

>as the first two. Maybe it's because the 'big
>cases/mysteries' this season don't seem to be so close to home
>as Season 1 and 2.

That makes sense. But it might be kind of an ugly stretch to keep coming up with stuff that was actually close to home. There are only so many friends that can be raped and killed and family members that can be driven to alcoholism before fleeing with 50,000 dollars. Though... something with the mother would have been good. She was pretty good, but my impression is that she's gone from the show. Last year there were all these Kay Jewelers commercials where the kids and husband surprise their wife with some earrings or a necklace or something, and she played the mother in the commercial. I was like, "Don't go acting like you're mother of the year, Lianne Mars. I know what you did! That was money for Veronica to go to college". Bitch.

When I heard the second mystery arc was going to be a murder, I thought briefly that it would be girl from Just Shoot Me and Keith would be a suspect. I've been missing the "close to home" thing too, though I actually thought the first mystery of season three was more carefully and thoughtfully plotted than any of the previous ones. Having a very personal aspect to the mystery AND having a carefully crafted mystery aren't exclusive, though.

--Walleye's Dad

KneelB4Me
Member since Apr 06th 2005
4473 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 10:45 PM

13. "Damn, I thought Logan and Veronica would stay apart longer"
In response to Reply # 0

They should've at least ran a few eps with it. Hell, I would've preferred them staying apart for the rest of this season. I'm not a big fan of Ronnie hooking up with Piz, but they could've had a light little thing going for a while.

Oh well, at least Mac got some screen time. We just need Wallace to work up on some trim now.

"The tradition of Festivus begins with the airing of grievances..."

www.preptimeposse.blogspot.com
Break yo self, fool!

invoice
343 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 01:18 PM

14. "I agree that something w/ her moms would be good..."
In response to Reply # 0

Thomas said that the only way that he could write a season long arc again would be if he killed Wallace or Mac, but I disagree...Her mom is shrouded in mystery...if they killed her it would be huge. We'd find out where she was, what she was up to, there would be suspects (the Kanes) and Veronica would be emotionally invested. Single serving mysteries, aka CSI: Neptune, is a horrible horrible idea.

invoice
343 posts
Wed Jan-31-07 09:05 AM

16. "Last night's was pretty damned good..."
In response to Reply # 0

...though I've seen some complaints about it at twop. The twists were clever, and there were some funny parts. Keith got some more shine, which is always good--the part where he and Lamb were at the stoplight had kind of a classic feel to it. Overall I thought this was one of the more solid eps of the season. BUT I STAY wondering where the hell Wallace is. He was a central character in the first couple seasons...now he's only been in two or three eps of this whole season==wack.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Jan-31-07 10:30 AM

17. "RE: Last night's was pretty damned good..."
In response to Reply # 16

>...though I've seen some complaints about it at twop.

Wait. They complained about something at Television Without Pity?

Imagine that.

>The twists were clever, and there were some funny parts. Keith
>got some more shine, which is always good--the part where he
>and Lamb were at the stoplight had kind of a classic feel to
>it.

Totally. Also the part where he got Lamb on the "solving cases is relaxing" line. The delayed "guh" reaction on Lamb's part was kind of corny, but the whole exchange was so Season 1 that it was worth it.

>Overall I thought this was one of the more solid eps of
>the season. BUT I STAY wondering where the hell Wallace is.
>He was a central character in the first couple seasons...now
>he's only been in two or three eps of this whole
>season==wack.

The absence of Wallace has made me realize that when I complain about needing more screentime for the peripheral characters, I actually mean Wallace. More Mac and more Weevil is nice. And Dick throwing polaroids of his penis off a balcony is the best kind of hilarious, but it's only a substitute for quality Wallace time once in a blue moon.

And that they couldn't work Wallace into this mystery-of-the-week when the central character was the guy that was introduced because he sold Wallace the test cheat? Lame. The sort of silly thing is that he probably hasn't missed many more episodes than in season 1 and season 2, but they either explained his absence better (moving to Chicago) or spread it out more efficiently.

Still, I really enjoyed this one. I like that the Dean's murder seems to be, for the time being, Keith's case. Having somebody besides Veronica working on it will balance the show a little bit better. I don't like to get all "Season 1 is the Golden Age", because I liked Season2 and Season 3 so far, but I do believe it was a greater degree of excellent. So any maneuver that echoes that season is a good start.

--Walleye's Dad

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Feb-03-07 11:46 PM

18. "RE: Last night's was pretty damned good..."
In response to Reply # 16

>the season. BUT I STAY wondering where the hell Wallace is.
>He was a central character in the first couple seasons...now
>he's only been in two or three eps of this whole
>season==wack.

Budget cuts. They did the same thing after the first season. They bumped "regulars" like Weevil (Francis Capra) to "recurring" status. It hink Weevil only appeared in only 13 episodes in season 2. They're doing the same thing this year. Only Veronica, Keith and Logan are true "regulars" and will appear in most of the episodes. But I agree, they really cut down Wallace's screen time. I mean, they're showing that lame-o Piz more than him!

R.I.P. Curtis Manning ? - 2006

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Feb-03-07 11:48 PM

19. "These first two episodes of Mystery #2 have been really good"
In response to Reply # 0

not Season 1 good, but definitely the best ones of the season. I agree with the posts above, they have a more "classic" feel to them, especially the interaction between Keith and Lam at the stoplight.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Feb-14-07 12:17 PM

20. ""Postgame Mortem""
In response to Reply # 0

In spite of the dwindling number of people watching still watching "Veronica Mars" nationwide, I think this is turning into a pretty good season. This recent episode was unconventional in a lot of the right ways, breaking away from the "mystery of the week" format and the goofy pairing of Logan and the little kid.

If the basketball coach's murder is anything like the sort of stories the show will be dealing with when it breaks away from the large scale mysteries, I'm more on-board than I was before. But I think I was probably more on board than most people anyhow.

I suppose some people might find Logan's interaction with the little girl a bit lightweight, but if you're getting tired of the interminable Logan+Veronica (I refuse to call it "LoVe") hairpulling then it was a pretty break from it for an episode, even if Logan's teenagery post-relationship angst was the context. I was pretty happy with it. The scene in the elevator was fantastic.

There was some real progress (that will probably be red herrings) made on the O'Dell murder. We got some of Wallace, some of Cliff and some of Weevil. There was no Mac and not even close to enough Wallace, particularly considering it was a mystery about the murder of his coach. When I saw the episode description I was pretty encouraged that we might see a lot more Wallace, so that was kind of a letdown. Maybe more in the next one?

Does anybody else think that the basketball coach murder is going to get tied up with Dean O'Dell's murder at all?

--Walleye's Dad

invoice
343 posts
Wed Feb-14-07 02:12 PM

21. "RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought this was a great episode, but I'm with you in that I haven't been as let down this season as a lot of people. Again, one of my biggest gripes is that they are leaning away from the stylistics that made the show stand out in the first place--no voiceover at all last night, for example. The little kid annoyed me through most of the episode, but she definitely WORKED in the places where it was necessary (the elevator, the radio request). Dick was hilarious.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Feb-14-07 02:22 PM

22. "RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"
In response to Reply # 21

>Again, one of my biggest gripes is that they are leaning away
>from the stylistics that made the show stand out in the first
>place--no voiceover at all last night, for example.

You know, I didn't notice the diminishing (and then vanishing) voiceovers at all until people started mentioning it. It's kind of an odd choice to move away from, because it fit so nicely with the noir elements of the show and it was just an easy, practical way to advance plot and character. I'm not entirely sure why they've nearly dropped it, but the show is worse for having done so.

Further along practical lines, I think bringing back her voiceover would also go a long way to quell some of the criticism from the "good old days"-style critics who've piled on Veronica for leaping to so many false accusations recently. If you watch Season 1, it's pretty easy to see that she did exactly the same thing then and was wrong with the same frequency. But access to her internal monologue makes her a bit more sympathetic - we can see when she's trying to read somebody's reaction, etc. rather than just think season 3 Veronica is a nasty jerk.

--Walleye's Dad

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Feb-14-07 10:38 PM

23. "Is that actually FOUR good episodes in a row?"
In response to Reply # 0

They really stepped their game up for the second third of this season. The past four episodes remind me of the "old" Veronica Mars. An interesting "mystery of the week" along with a healthy dose of the overall arc. Plus the humor has been more on point.

This week: I thought the little girl was cute. It was obviously where it was going but it was still nice, cause although I like self loathing Logan, it starts to get a little tired when they do it everytime they break up. Dick was on point this week too. Too funny. With the 1) Meet chick, 2) take chick to vegas, 3) marry chick, 4) hate chick and seek divorce all in the span of 24 hours! Great!

I agree wholeheartedly with everyone else who watches this show, more Wallace. It's gotten to the point of ridiculousness now. That dude appeared in like the first four episodes of the season (with his last significant screen time being in that sociology prison experiment) and has been almost totally absent ever since.

But at least they've backed off on showcasing Piz and Mac's roommate the last couple of episodes. Piz is so effin' lame and his character adds NOTHING to the show.

invoice
343 posts
Thu Feb-15-07 11:27 AM

25. "You didn't Like "Spit and Eggs"??"
In response to Reply # 23

I thought that the last couple eps of the Hearst Rapist arc were great. This, however, is coming from someone who just got into the show this season. After seeing the first couple season 3 eps my girl and I ripped through seasons 1 and 2 (which I agree were of much higher quality) in a matter of days. Overall, though, I've thought S3 has been good. Only one I didn't really like was "Show Me the Monkey."

I always thought this was just some teen girl ish (which it is to a certain extent), but it's written well, the characters are excellently developed, and there are plot twists for days. This show SHOULD appeal to way more people--they effed up in aiming their marketing targets at the teen girl audience. I hope it gets picked up for another year.

www.myspace.com/chanceunlimited

JungleSouljah
14987 posts
Wed Feb-14-07 11:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "It's definitely getting better"
In response to Reply # 0

But it's still not as good as season 1 or season 2. It's not just the lack of characters like Wallace and Mac. It's also the decline in the quality of writing and storylines. It's picking up though. The younger sister was an obvious crutch, but it was needed. Part of the genius of the show is that with the mystery of the week format they can bring in random characters each week and have them provide some comedic relief and it doesn't seem overly forced.

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Tue Feb-20-07 09:58 PM

26. "WAIT!? So Keith Mars is now THE SHERIFF???"
In response to Reply # 0

and how fast did that shit happen, and what was the process.
It's like they skipped ahead a year within one episode, if they
didn't break the law.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

KneelB4Me
4473 posts
Tue Feb-20-07 10:56 PM

28. "I can't find the rationale behind that"
In response to Reply # 26

Maybe there's some backwards Neptune law that states the runner-up of the sheriff election takes office if the original can't perform (due to being dead and all).

I wish they would've given Lamb a little more respect before he went out, maybe discovering O'Dell's killer before being murked. Dude had to do something right to get elected TWICE.

Break yo self, fool!

JungleSouljah
14987 posts
Wed Feb-21-07 08:27 AM

29. "He never did anything right"
In response to Reply # 28

The Mars' were always out doing him.

But I don't like Keith as sherrif... I like him doing his behind the scenes stuff.

Melanism
Charter member
20449 posts
Tue Feb-20-07 09:58 PM

27. "HOLY SHIT (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't believe Lamb is dead and Keith is sheriff again.

-------------------
"Fuck yo couch, nigga!" - Tom Cruise

http://melanism.com
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/melanism
http://www.last.fm/user/Melanism/

invoice
343 posts
Wed Feb-21-07 09:00 AM

30. "RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sure they'll address the "Keith as Sheriff" thing next week. I'd bet that they called him in as a short-term solution until the next election or something. The Neptune higher-ups have called him in to assist the Sheriff's Department in the past--they know that he's the most suitable for the job.

I hope that it isn't a long-term thing, though...noir is all about the P.I., son! The Keith/V chemistry comes from the fact that they work together at Mars Investigations--and the fact that they are a small time operation who are constantly effed with by the more powerful authorities. If Keith is sheriff we won't see V accused of illegal ish anymore, which was always kind of a key element of the show; she was/is kind of an antihero.

Good episode, btw--I was genuinely shocked. Lamb was a great character.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu Feb-22-07 11:17 AM

31. "RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"
In response to Reply # 30

>I'm sure they'll address the "Keith as Sheriff" thing next
>week. I'd bet that they called him in as a short-term
>solution until the next election or something. The Neptune
>higher-ups have called him in to assist the Sheriff's
>Department in the past--they know that he's the most suitable
>for the job.

That's what I figured too. It's probably playing fast-and-loose with the rules over how sheriffs are appointed in situations like this, but I can't imagine those rules are consistent county-to-county. The E-string Strangler case and some of Mayor Woody's special appointments are sufficient fictional precedents for the idea that Keith might have been tapped because it was an emergency.

>I hope that it isn't a long-term thing, though...noir is all
>about the P.I., son!

Totally. But I think this might be the most Chandler-esque mystery they've done in the entire show. Secret affairs, ex-husbands, etc. It's the good kind of conventional.

>Good episode, btw--I was genuinely shocked. Lamb was a great
>character.

I'm going to miss him a lot. He got a couple nice moments this season, but not as much screen-time as the previous seasons. What I couldn't believe was that they didn't hint at a death AT ALL in the promos. What could whoever does those possibly be thinking? There are shows like Law and Order and CSI that are totally premised around murder cases that still try to advertise as though this case (unlike the previous 700 cases) is a personal and shocking murder.

They've dropped the ball on promos all season. The only one that was genuinely exciting was the "Spit and Eggs" promo, and (surprise!) that was the highest rated episode of the season and second in the show's history. I'm pretty much reconciled to the fact that the show will never be a hit and in fact is probably not long for the television world. But it's really disappointing to see the least interesting aspects of the show mentioned from week to week while the casual fans start watching whatever else is out there.

--Walleye's Dad

dr invisible
Member since Sep 19th 2002
3467 posts
Thu Feb-22-07 11:39 AM

32. "RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"
In response to Reply # 31

>Totally. But I think this might be the most Chandler-esque mystery >they've done in the entire show. Secret affairs, ex-husbands, etc. It's >the good kind of conventional.

I'm really enjoying this season for that reason. I'm sort of watching season 2 and 3 simultaneously, which has been confusing at times since in both right now, Logan and Veronica are on the same bad terms.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu Feb-22-07 11:52 AM

33. "So you stuck with it then?"
In response to Reply # 32

Good for you. I'm impressed that you can follow *anything* at the same time as the dizzying Season 2 mystery, let alone another mystery.

--Walleye's Dad

dr invisible
3467 posts
Thu Feb-22-07 01:26 PM

34. "I saw it on one Tuesday night"
In response to Reply # 33

after I finished season 1 and couldn't resist. Now I'm sucked in to 3 for better or worse. It was the first episode of the Dean O'Dell murder stuff. It helps that with Netflix, I can watch a whole bunch of season 2 at once and get back into it and figure out where i am.

I can thank my girlfriend for not letting me back out. Even though she was a little disappointed in the first few episodes, she still wanted disc 2 and with a busy schedule, I relented. I can also thank Enrico/Keith Mars who does such a great job alongside Kristin Bell.

alexw
Member since Dec 11th 2005
40 posts
Sat Feb-24-07 10:51 AM

36. "Meanwhile"
In response to Reply # 31

I'm not convinced it's Tim. They've dropped him way under the radar these days, and even tried to exonerate him in the abortion episode. But clearly the "perfect murder" paper is going to need to come back, and there's no way it's gonna be Landry.

I thought this episode was great. The Logan shit was kind of out of place, but the short-term mystery was very well done, and they still managed to throw in a lot of stuff about Cyrus's death. And Lamb dying came out of nowhere. Kind of a shame, since he's so great, but people need to die on this show. it's just a shame we already know who did it.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Thu Feb-22-07 10:20 PM

35. "RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"
In response to Reply # 30

>I'm sure they'll address the "Keith as Sheriff" thing next
>week. I'd bet that they called him in as a short-term
>solution until the next election or something. The Neptune
>higher-ups have called him in to assist the Sheriff's
>Department in the past--they know that he's the most suitable
>for the job.
>
i'm more than sure keith is an interim sheriff, cause he's really the only guy around qualified to do the job and the deputy that saw Lamb dyin was obviously too shook to do the job...

>I hope that it isn't a long-term thing, though...noir is all
>about the P.I., son! The Keith/V chemistry comes from the
>fact that they work together at Mars Investigations--and the
>fact that they are a small time operation who are constantly
>effed with by the more powerful authorities. If Keith is
>sheriff we won't see V accused of illegal ish anymore, which
>was always kind of a key element of the show; she was/is kind
>of an antihero.
>
i think Keith being Sheriff will cause more problems for Veronia as they butt heads tryin to solve cases...Keith has always been about doing the right, legal thing, and V doesn't always do that...i think she'll show up at the station in the next episode and find that things won't be going as smoothly as she thinks wit her dad as sheriff...

>Good episode, btw--I was genuinely shocked. Lamb was a great
>character.

great episode...we saw Wallace, Weevil, AND Mac...the scavenger hunt sidequest was pretty cool and i liked the chemistry between Logan and ole girl.....the mystery was just "ok" for me tho, and i didn't like how Lamb went out...at least he seemed to be makin better decisions b4 the end...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

invoice
343 posts
Wed Feb-28-07 09:49 AM

37. "Papa's Cabin"
In response to Reply # 0

So the Dean O'Dell's murder has been solved. I liked the episode in that every single time a character was on screen I thought to myself, "maybe he did it, maybe she did it." I was changing my theory consistently throughout the ep.

While I've read in some places that "it was so obvious that Tim was the murderer," I have to disagree. Yes--it was obvious that Tim was a suspicious character, but the way it went down was not obvious at all. People suspected Tim because he was a strange dude, but there is no way they could have figured everything out. I thought the actual "sleuthing" going on in the ep was pretty rad, right up to the end. I liked the way that everything came together, from the Mindy O'Dell and Professor Landry stuff to the stripper and the disposable phone. I thought to myself several times throughout, "I can't believe that this woman would remember that she saw Landry exactly two months ago." There were very small things like this that didn't sit right with me that made sense by the end (Tim paid some random lady to say that she saw Landry then planted a disposable phone).

What I WAS disappointed in, however, was the lack of dramatic grounding. I didn't think there was any real sense of urgency. I didn't think Veronica was in danger at any point during the ep, and there wasn't any emotional payoff for finding the right killer. "Spit and Eggs" got that stuff right, with V almost getting Mercered, and then also what was probably the best Logan scene of the season, w/ him pounding on the sheriffmobile just to get tossed in the same cell as the two rapists. Even the last episode w/ Lamb dying had MUCH more emotional resonance than this mini-finale.

So anyway, I thought this was a good conclusion to a good mystery, but not a great conclusion to what SHOULD be considered the "fourth biggest Neptune mystery" of the series.

Melanism
Charter member
20449 posts
Wed Feb-28-07 10:09 AM

39. "I disagree"
In response to Reply # 37

The scene with Veronica breaking Tim down in Criminology class was a killer. She doesn't always need to be in danger.
-------------------
"Fuck yo couch, nigga!" - Tom Cruise

http://melanism.com
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/melanism
http://www.last.fm/user/Melanism/

invoice
343 posts
Wed Feb-28-07 10:37 AM

40. "I liked that scene too"
In response to Reply # 39

I'm not saying that scene wasn't a killer--I thought it was great the way that everything came together. But that's the last long running arc we'll ever see (supposedly), and I wish there was a little more drama.

dr invisible
3467 posts
Wed Feb-28-07 10:42 AM

41. "Exactly"
In response to Reply # 39

Part of the reason why there's a lack of an emotional/dramatic grounding is Veronica was not involved personally in the mystery as much as she was in the first 2 seasons. Season 3 has sort of become more of Veronica as a professional, as limited as that term is here, than getting thrown into it because of her social relationships.

JungleSouljah
14987 posts
Wed Feb-28-07 03:58 PM

42. "What's on tap for the rest of the season?"
In response to Reply # 37

Is this one really solved? Because I agree it was a rather anti-climactic ending than what we've come to expect from V M. And there are only 5 more eps left for the season.

CW needs to get it's shit together on this show. I can't shake the feeling that it was infinitely better on UPN. This season just hasn't sat as well with me as the first two. It's at the point where I don't care if they bring it back next season because I won't feel like I'm missing much. Maybe Rob Thomas, being a former high school teacher, is out of his element writing stories for college-aged VMars? But it seems like it's more than just that. The original wit and bite of the show really seems to be missing.

KneelB4Me
4473 posts
Wed Feb-28-07 11:21 PM

43. "I fear for next season"
In response to Reply # 42

Seems like all the CW needs is a halfway-decent pitch for a new reality show to fill the timeslot and VM is out the door.

Break yo self, fool!

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 10:04 PM

45. "That Pussycat Dolls show got a lot of viewers, apparently"
In response to Reply # 43

I have enjoyed, however, the number of TV critics pointing out the irony of replacing Veronica Mars with this piece of shit. The one thing I'm curious about that I haven't heard anybody address: can they do the Pussycat Dolls thing for more than a season or two?

It's not like the Pussycat Dolls are some kind of beacon of musical integrity, but they can't just keep adding members simply because they have a reality show. A lot of folks worrying about Veronica Mars seem to be pretty scared of this, but I don't see any indication it can last more than a season.

Or is it more what the show represents, which is basically what you said: that it proves a cheaply made reality show can outdraw Veronica Mars. So it doesn't matter whether it's the Pussycat Dolls or Beauty and the Geek or some other awfulness?

--Walleye's Dad

KneelB4Me
4473 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 10:54 PM

46. "My point exactly"
In response to Reply # 45

that it proves a cheaply made reality show can
>outdraw Veronica Mars. So it doesn't matter whether it's the
>Pussycat Dolls or Beauty and the Geek or some other
>awfulness?

Hopefully, the network will keep VM around, at least for the critical acclaim (like having one true lyricist on a roster full of platinum-plus garbage rappers).

But like my boy J says, "keep hope out my damn house."

Break yo self, fool!

invoice
343 posts
Wed Feb-28-07 09:51 AM

38. "RE: Veronica Mars: Season 3, part 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Oh, and like I've said before...this show needs more voice over, stat.

www.myspace.com/chanceunlimited

The_Orange_Ninja_Turtle
Member since Jan 14th 2005
22411 posts
Thu Mar-08-07 09:34 PM

44. "Just finished watching it"
In response to Reply # 0

I love this show.

rare
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1253 posts
Tue Jan-29-08 07:02 PM

47. "just got through season one,"
In response to Reply # 0

hoping to watch season two this week or at least in febr....
never knew who Kristen Bell was untill i saw her on Heroes, but i like her as Veronica Mars...

follow me @ http://instagram.com/xaoux

* Teach me how to forget to think..... *

JungleSouljah
14987 posts
Tue Jan-29-08 08:16 PM

48. "Kristen Bell on Vericona Mars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"
In response to Reply # 47

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anyone on Heroes

And I've seen every episode of Heroes. But I've also seen every episode of VMars. I almost liked Season Two more than Season One. It's a tough call for me.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Wed Jan-30-08 04:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
49. "Kristen Bell"
In response to Reply # 48

as VM is one of my all-time fave performances ever. It helps, too, that it's a memorable character.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Mon Jan-26-09 05:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
50. "VM movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/01/19/rob-thomas-confirms-veronica-mars-movie/

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Jan-26-09 06:15 PM

51. "does anyone want a link to PolarBearToenail's Rob Thomas interview?"
In response to Reply # 50

http://www.maximumfun.org/blog/2007/07/podcast-tsoya-live-in-la-with-rob.html

here it is even if you don't

~ ~ ~

Grrrrrr © Tatiana

Big Chief Rumbletummy
Member since Jan 31st 2006
2005 posts
Mon Jan-26-09 06:36 PM

52. "i JUST GOT STARTED ON DISC FOUR OF SEASON ONE"
In response to Reply # 0

and i am hooked, walleye. This show is so clever and quirky and fun, yet with hust enough of a darker edge to it so as to not be kitsch.

Its got good enough writing such that all the teenage/early 20s actors and actresses don't have me cringing as they say their lines.

Every time I see her dad though, I just scream "Malthazar!!"

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Jan-26-09 08:02 PM

53. "Walleye got me watching, too"
In response to Reply # 52

You know that Lilly & Duncan's dad was on Homicide forever?

~ ~ ~

Grrrrrr © Tatiana

McDeezNuts
Member since Jun 03rd 2002
5663 posts
Mon Jan-26-09 11:23 PM

54. "Discovered it late, but one of my favorite shows, period."
In response to Reply # 0

I decided to check it out from Netflix (after the whole show was over)... as soon as the first disc was over, I went out and bought ALL THREE SEASONS. Holy fuck I love this show.

I don't understand how this can get cancelled and the networks are full of bullshit.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #247944 Previous topic | Next topic