Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #749516

Subject: "RENAISSANCE: A FILM BY BEYONCÉ (Beyoncé, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18983 posts
Thu Nov-30-23 12:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RENAISSANCE: A FILM BY BEYONCÉ (Beyoncé, 2023)"
Thu Nov-30-23 01:00 PM by handle

Opens today.

2 hours 48 minutes.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
has she directed for other people?
Nov 30th 2023
this comment directly aligns with the content of the film...
Dec 03rd 2023
      the trolling was worth it for the review. thank you.
Dec 03rd 2023
I wanted more of the making of the show.
Dec 03rd 2023
just checked local theatres
Dec 07th 2023
Just got back. I enjoyed it.
Dec 09th 2023
To my surprise, this was pretty boring
Dec 10th 2023
I did feel like the back and forth took away some of the fun
Dec 11th 2023

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Nov-30-23 09:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "has she directed for other people?"
In response to Reply # 0

or is it like beyonce the songwriter?

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35888 posts
Sun Dec-03-23 01:40 PM

2. "this comment directly aligns with the content of the film..."
In response to Reply # 1

in which she shows evidence of people constantly underestimating her, downplaying her knowledge and skills, gaslighting her, etc

the film was excellent. in addition to the riveting and joyful concert footage, its narrated by her, highlights the 4 year journey of the birth of the tour, gives more context to her personal life and struggles and shines a light on the queer dancers on her team.

bonus points for a touching and heartfelt homage to Uncle Johnny.

10/10. will see again with a crowd so we can all sing and dance.

oh and she's gonna win an Oscar.

d

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sun Dec-03-23 03:02 PM

3. "the trolling was worth it for the review. thank you."
In response to Reply # 2

you didn't answer my question, but to be fair, i could look it up for myself. pardon me, i just can't un-know some things. i'm interested in the film.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36983 posts
Sun Dec-03-23 05:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I wanted more of the making of the show."
In response to Reply # 0

There's a part in the film where she talks about the logistics of the screens used in her show. Or some of the stories of her danders.
THOSE moments were mad interesting. I feel like Homecoming was more of a 'making of' documentary.

Granted, this is coming from a person that edits documentaries.
I was curious about the show, but the process making it was way more interesting.

https://digife.com

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10128 posts
Thu Dec-07-23 02:14 PM

5. "just checked local theatres"
In response to Reply # 0

$22 minimum in my area for a ticket. wow. is it worth it? kinda pisses me off.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23910 posts
Sat Dec-09-23 11:48 PM

6. "Just got back. I enjoyed it."
In response to Reply # 0

Good mix of life, behind the scenes/tech, and finished performance. There’s always something interesting on screen, to the point where I think I found myself not blinking in some spots.

The music nerd in me wanted to see her MPC that keeps getting referenced. I’m sure it’s one of the newer ones but I’d trip if it was an old crusty 60.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18425 posts
Sun Dec-10-23 03:41 PM

7. "To my surprise, this was pretty boring "
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Dec-10-23 03:50 PM by Tiger Woods

My wife and I went to the tour in July. It was a joyous freak party. The vibe was so positive, the outfits were so outlandish and creative. Above all, it was just so FUN. It was really one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. Fun fun fun.

This movie isn’t very fun. Every time the concert gets going there’s a 10 minute aside from Beyonce insisting that she’s just as normal as us, that she’s working her ass off, that she’s a protective mother. It’s a drag man. The overwhelming energy of the tour is almost absent from this flick completely. And anytime it gets going she halts her own momentum with the navel gazing documentary shit.

Beyonce is sorta like Brady or Lebron to me at this point…so exceptional at performance and so corny at every thing else. This movie is at times as cringe-inducing as Brady’s Hertz commercials or Lebron only ever reading the first page of a book.

This should’ve been two separate projects- a Netflix special on the making of and a concert film for theaters. In trying to do it both ways she never really finds liftoff. It makes sense when the credits roll and you learn she was her own Director, producer, and editor. It feels like a movie put together by someone who has no film editing chops, because she has no film editing chops. Huge disappointment.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16433 posts
Mon Dec-11-23 02:32 PM

8. "I did feel like the back and forth took away some of the fun"
In response to Reply # 7

I think in the end it still worked out well but I wonder how much more fun it would had been if the behind the scenes was contained a bit more. Not sure if less of it or just front loading it with more of it so that the end flows better.

Still thought it was pretty good. I'm not really a big fan of her music but this gave me a good idea why other people do enjoy it.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #749516 Previous topic | Next topic