Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745271

Subject: "Halloween Ends (David Gordon Green, 2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8639 posts
Wed Jul-20-22 06:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Halloween Ends (David Gordon Green, 2022)"

https://youtu.be/i_mAWKyfj6c

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
idk why they made all 3 of these so different.
Oct 13th 2022
Man… this trilogy had so much promise
Oct 14th 2022
the 'love story' was so unbelievable lol (spoilers)
Oct 14th 2022
      RE: the 'love story' was so unbelievable lol (spoilers)
Oct 14th 2022
btw the only legit 'scary' part of this movie (spoiler)
Oct 14th 2022
How amazing would it have been if...
Oct 15th 2022
Everyone here has summed up my feelings.
Oct 17th 2022

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Thu Oct-13-22 09:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "idk why they made all 3 of these so different."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-13-22 09:43 PM by Reeq

same team, same director, etc.

but the tone and way each one is filmed feels like 3 independent projects from separate production companies instead of a cohesive series.

the 2 sequels were so stupid in different ways.

how hard is it to make 2 more straightforward slasher films like the 1st one (which was actually pretty good)?

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12509 posts
Fri Oct-14-22 09:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Man… this trilogy had so much promise"
In response to Reply # 0

Outside of the podcasters and the weird doctor, I loved that first movie.

Kills was pretty deflating. The vigilante townspeople. Laurie just sitting around in a hospital. The deputy who fucked up back in 78 was fine, and at least Michael killed a bunch of people who you wanted to see killed, but it seriously reset my expectations.

Ends is a mess and a half. They take a swing on some big ideas of family trauma, but it never quite lands. I won’t spoil anything yet, but the way they get Michael involved is even dumber than the doctor driving him to Laurie’s house.

I feel bad for the granddaughter. Matichak has been great in all 3 movies, but she’s not given much to work with in this one. She’s there to deal with Laurie’s issues and a new character’s issues, so her grief/attempt to move on is kinda bulldozed in this movie. I don’t believe this character would get swept up in the angry mob in Kills, and I don’t buy that she would fall this fast for her love interest in this movie.

And the ending is ridiculous, of course.

At this point, I’d rather see a series of Halloween Resurrection type sequels where Michaels kills a different group of people every movie and we’re not really concerned with why.

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri Oct-14-22 10:02 AM

3. "the 'love story' was so unbelievable lol (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 2

she was on that dude *hard* for no explainable reason. nigga killed a damn kid and had weirdo serial killer vibes all through him. but chick thirstily pursued him like he was chris evans or something and basically forced him into a relationship with her lol.

and how did this dude get lifted completely off his feet and almost killed by mike mike earlier but then easily overpowered him and strongarmed the mask later on?

honestly...why was this dude even in the movie? what purpose did he serve ultimately? all of that storyline built around him since the beginning of the flick (he was arguably the main character)...whatever partnership he developed with mike mike...just to go out the way he went out at the hands of *both* laurie and mike mike.

like you said...they coulda just had mike mike killing people and working his way to laurie like usual...but its like they invented this character for the sole purpose of filling up time until the final matchup between the two iconic rivals.

and damn...mike mike used to have to be taken out with shotguns and four alarm blazes and shit but this nigga got beat by some amateur self defense class shit from a woman at least 6" shorter and 50 lbs lighter than him smh.

this shit was offensive lol.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12509 posts
Fri Oct-14-22 11:44 AM

5. "RE: the 'love story' was so unbelievable lol (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 3

>and damn...mike mike used to have to be taken out with
>shotguns and four alarm blazes and shit but this nigga got
>beat by some amateur self defense class shit from a woman at
>least 6" shorter and 50 lbs lighter than him smh.
>
>this shit was offensive lol.

Yeah dude, Michael got jobbed out in this movie. Barely got in any offense in the end. Laurie has trained to take him out, but she should be a little rustier with 4 years of suburban grandma life.

It’s so weird to me that Michael didn’t actually pursue Laurie in any of these movies. The doctor brings him to her in the first, he didn’t see her in the second, and he’s seemingly just chasing down this asshole for his mask in the third.

Like you mentioned, the 3 movies feel like they’re from different directors, which is strange. I think Green and the other writers felt like they were making a cohesive trilogy, and it’s not even close. The themes they tried to weave through this thing were never tied together.

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri Oct-14-22 10:52 AM

4. "btw the only legit 'scary' part of this movie (spoiler)"
In response to Reply # 0

was the opening sequence with the kid playing that trick on dude.

decently suspenseful.

im surprised whoever wrote that part wrote the rest of the movie.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6741 posts
Sat Oct-15-22 11:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "How amazing would it have been if..."
In response to Reply # 0

Kylie Jenner joined that crowd at the end?

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8639 posts
Mon Oct-17-22 06:27 AM

7. "Everyone here has summed up my feelings. "
In response to Reply # 0

This shit sucked for all the reasons stated above.

Like this should've been the second movie and Kills be the final film. And even then, it'd still be sloppy.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745271 Previous topic | Next topic