Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #647838

Subject: "Michael Bay apologizes for Armageddon *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8629 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 07:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Michael Bay apologizes for Armageddon *swipe*"

http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/michael-bay-apologizes-for-armageddon.html?mid=imdb

Michael Bay Apologizes for Armageddon

By Jesse David Fox

Michael Bay is not necessarily known as Hollywood’s most self-deprecating director. Hell, he might be the least. But in a recent profile in the Miami Herald, he actually admitted failure, stating, “I will apologize for Armageddon." He explained: "We had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks. It was a massive undertaking. That was not fair to the movie. I would redo the entire third act if I could. But the studio literally took the movie away from us. It was terrible. My visual effects supervisor had a nervous breakdown, so I had to be in charge of that. I called James Cameron and asked ‘What do you do when you’re doing all the effects yourself?’ But the movie did fine.” Sure, blaming the studio isn’t the most humble move, but it’s a start. (Spoiler alert for this next sentence, just in case you somehow haven’t seen Armageddon by now.) Bay did not confirm if redoing the third act meant having Optimus Prime swoop in to save a tearful Bruce Willis, but what else could he have meant?

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
More excuses than an apology
Apr 23rd 2013
that's one of his better movies, tho
Apr 23rd 2013
^^
Apr 23rd 2013
No it's not.
Apr 24th 2013
^^^
Apr 24th 2013
it absolutely is
Apr 24th 2013
      Agreed.
Apr 24th 2013
      Def Leppard's video for Armageddon it>>>>>Bay's Armageddon
Apr 24th 2013
      Niggas really liked Armageddon huh?
Apr 24th 2013
           Well, yeah, it was cheeseball. So was ID4
Apr 24th 2013
           i don't "like" it
Apr 24th 2013
                ^^^^ Funniest shit I've read in a minute.
Apr 25th 2013
      LOL. you should feel blessed to have laid eyes upon Bad Boys II
Apr 24th 2013
           ^^^^^^^^^^^
Apr 26th 2013
agreed
Apr 25th 2013
What about Pearl Harbor?
Apr 24th 2013
It had Kate Beckinsale & better action scenes than Arghmageddon
Apr 24th 2013
Damn! Nigga recants his apology *swipe*
Apr 24th 2013
Recanting? He's saying he never SAID it.
Apr 25th 2013
      I don't give a fuck
Apr 26th 2013
it wasn't any worse than his other movies
Apr 24th 2013
Right. every director has his / her own style
Apr 24th 2013
I don't know why michael bay catches shit for fast cuts
Apr 24th 2013
I love the "I knew what I was getting" defense
Apr 25th 2013
      AKA the tarantino defense
Apr 25th 2013
           Totally.
Apr 25th 2013
                i see your's coming...everytime
Apr 25th 2013
                     Just like the plot's of Tyler's movies nm
Apr 25th 2013
                          we agree...he makes bad movies
Apr 26th 2013
                               Ok.
Apr 26th 2013
                                    my responses to your responses to me don't signify anger...
Apr 26th 2013
That movie lightweight sucked..
Apr 25th 2013
Seen it twice in the theater
Apr 25th 2013
fuck spoiler alerts for a fifteen year old movie
Apr 25th 2013
Hol' up, he took a shot at DEL TORO too? (swipe)
Apr 25th 2013
is it not obvious the movie is Battleship?
Apr 26th 2013
      Man, I can't call it, I was getting Robot Jox vibes off of it nm
Apr 26th 2013
      No. Not Robot Jox. Never speak of that movie again
Apr 28th 2013
      That seems obvious but he may have been lumping Pacific Rim in with it
Apr 26th 2013
           that seems like a lot to read into just b/c he didn't name the flick
Apr 28th 2013
Armageddon was not bad, c'mon...
Apr 29th 2013

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "More excuses than an apology"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry about that but, the studio took over, my effects guy quit, blah blah blah.

He's always like this though. The director's commentary on The Island is basically him throwing everyone under the bus and explaining how he had to do everything himself.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 03:54 PM

2. "that's one of his better movies, tho"
In response to Reply # 0

the third act makes more sense than the entire Transformers trilogy

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 04:24 PM

3. "^^"
In response to Reply # 2

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

bwood
8629 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 06:04 AM

4. "No it's not."
In response to Reply # 2

Shit sucked mad dick.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 07:52 AM

5. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 4

And y'all can't blame Abrams for that shit neither

____________________________________________________________________________________
And at that moment, I realized some of you aren't doing this for the shits-n-giggles that you're claiming

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 09:18 AM

6. "it absolutely is"
In response to Reply # 4

all three Transformers films are abominations. Pearl Harbor is almost as bad. Bad Boys II is one of the ugliest, most unwatchable films of the modern era.

So we're left with Bad Boys, The Rock, The Island (talk about a shitty final act) and Armageddon.

it's one of his best.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 11:11 AM

7. "Agreed."
In response to Reply # 6

Although, if you want to be a stickler, "one of his best" really just includes Rock and Bad Boys.
I know The Island has some fans on here but I'd put Armageddon #3 on the list.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 11:29 AM

8. "Def Leppard's video for Armageddon it>>>>>Bay's Armageddon"
In response to Reply # 7

I'd rather play that 5 minute video over & over in a loop 30x in a row than watch 2 & 1/2 hours of that Bay bullshit again

bwood
8629 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 01:53 PM

10. "Niggas really liked Armageddon huh?"
In response to Reply # 7

Cotdamn was that shit cheesey. That shit was made from a scriptwriter who went to film school to hit every audience pleasing beat they could, while adding in Bruce's death of glory so niggas could go home with tears of joy and shit.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 02:47 PM

12. "Well, yeah, it was cheeseball. So was ID4"
In response to Reply # 10

When we're talking shitty blockbuster, I think Green Lantern which just fails on every level. Then there's kind of joyless stuff like Snow White and the Huntsman. I have little interest in rewatching Armageddon but it was enjoyable enough when I saw it.

It's a big step back from The Rock and Bad Boys but I think it's passable summer fodder.

----

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 02:55 PM

13. "i don't "like" it"
In response to Reply # 10

but pulling from Bay's oeuvre is like choosing your favorite venereal disease.

Armageddon is Michael Bay's ghonorrhea. Transformers 2 is his full-blown AIDS.

bwood
8629 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 02:40 PM

23. "^^^^ Funniest shit I've read in a minute."
In response to Reply # 13

Well played.

Rjcc
Charter member
95025 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 11:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "LOL. you should feel blessed to have laid eyes upon Bad Boys II"
In response to Reply # 6

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126185 posts
Fri Apr-26-13 09:01 AM

36. "^^^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 18

i'm out.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 08:03 AM

20. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 01:50 PM

9. "What about Pearl Harbor?"
In response to Reply # 0

That movie was a fuckin disgrace. Armageddon actually wasn't all that bad.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 03:00 PM

14. "It had Kate Beckinsale & better action scenes than Arghmageddon"
In response to Reply # 9

bwood
8629 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 02:00 PM

11. "Damn! Nigga recants his apology *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/04/23/michael-bay-does-not-apologize-for-armageddon/

Apr 23 2013 02:41 PM ET

Never mind, Michael Bay does NOT apologize for 'Armageddon'
by John Mitchell

The Internet has been buzzing about Michael Bay’s “apology” for his 1998 blockbuster Armageddon, but the director wants everyone to know that his words were taken out of context and that he is “proud of the movie.”

While promoting his new film Pain & Gain, Bay discussed with a Miami Herald reporter the rapid-fire editing technique featured in many of his movies. Near the end of the interview, the paper quotes Bay as saying, “I will apologize for Armageddon, because we had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks. It was a massive undertaking. That was not fair to the movie. I would redo the entire third act if I could.”

But in a post on his official website today, Bay wrote that the newspaper cut his words in a deceptive way. “ has printed the bare minimum of my statement which in effect have twisted my words and meaning,” the director said.

Bay goes on to clarify that while he does wish he “had more time to edit the film” before it hit theaters, he is “proud of the movie.” Check out Bay’s full response below.

“One press writer has gone too far in reporting false information. He has printed the bare minimum of my statement which in effect have twisted my words and meaning. I’m not in the slightest going to apologize for the third movie in my movie career, a film called Armageddon. On the red carpet for Pain & Gain some reporters asked me what are you apologizing for, and I said what on earth are you talking about?

What I clearly said to the reporter, is I wish I had more time to edit the film, specifically the third act. He asked me in effect what would you change if you could in your movies if you could go back. I said, I wish we had a few more weeks in the edit room on Armageddon. And still today Armageddon, is still one of the most shown movies on cable TV. And yes, I’m proud of the movie. Enough said.

Michael”

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44988 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 06:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
29. "Recanting? He's saying he never SAID it. "
In response to Reply # 11

You can't recant some shit you didn't say.

He's recanting the reporters statement, not his own.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

bwood
8629 posts
Fri Apr-26-13 06:57 AM

33. "I don't give a fuck"
In response to Reply # 29

It's not that serious

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 06:28 PM

15. "it wasn't any worse than his other movies"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah it was bad.

But I mean, I think of his work more as roller coasters than films.

Maybe I'm just getting jaded in my old age, but if I start watching a movie and I know ahead of time that it was directed by Michael Bay, I expect:

-Fast cuts
-Little to no character development
-Explosions
-Big fight/chase scenes
-Explosions
-Edge-of-your seat orchestral score that seems to never slow down, sprinkled with pop bullshit for the soundtrack and to get radio play
-Random attention/dialogue given to extras
-CGI CGI CGI
-Poor script
-Major Plot holes
-At least one scene where characters are racing to do something before a timer goes down to 0:00 and shit explodes

BOOM. That's what I expect and that's what he gives. Every damned time. Ok you have your Christopher Nolans out there trying to play both sides of the field, and that's cool I guess (though I personally didn't dig his Batman movies thaaat much), but I don't think it's fair to bash Michael Bay for doing his thing. He makes basic, by-the-numbers action/adventure movies that are almost always box office hits. Don't weigh in if you don't want to wrestle, you know?

This is why I didn't even bother with the Transformers trilogy. But I loved every goofy ass minute of Bad Boys II. I knew exactly what I was going to get, and I got it all with plenty of bonus shit thrown in for free.

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 08:04 PM

16. "Right. every director has his / her own style"
In response to Reply # 15

it's senseless attacking a filmmaker for playing by the filmmaking rules he / she decides to play by.

i know it's sometimes too easy to criticize Bay for having the taste of an 14 year old. but if no one ever tells Malick to actually stick to a more linear plot in his movies or if no one tells Katheryn Bigelow to not make action movies or tells Woody Allen to not play characters that date women he wouldn't have a chance at in real life, then it's pointless to criticize Bay for doing what he does.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

Rjcc
Charter member
95025 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 11:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "I don't know why michael bay catches shit for fast cuts"

there are dozens of directors out there far worse.

he shoots action scenes better than almost everyone, period. avengers finale was a complete bay-ripoff at the end

shit like taken and the bourne series ruin the movies with fast cuts at the wrong time

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 02:04 PM

21. "I love the "I knew what I was getting" defense"

Guess what? Other motherfuckers "knew what they were getting" as well

And the shit was still wack.

In the case of Armageddon, it came on the heels of The Rock, which came on the heels of Bad Boys. Both of those movies were pretty damn good, and didn't prepare anyone for the bloat and excess that was Armageddon. And it doesn't make one a "film snob" to point that shit out, either.

I really wish y'all would stop with that shit.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
And at that moment, I realized some of you aren't doing this for the shits-n-giggles that you're claiming

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 02:46 PM

24. "AKA the tarantino defense"
In response to Reply # 21

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 04:33 PM

25. "Totally."
In response to Reply # 24
Thu Apr-25-13 04:36 PM by ZooTown74

EDIT: I TOTALLY didn't see this response coming. Like, at all.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 04:40 PM

26. "i see your's coming...everytime"
In response to Reply # 25

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 06:05 PM

27. "Just like the plot's of Tyler's movies nm"
In response to Reply # 26

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Apr-26-13 08:34 AM

35. "we agree...he makes bad movies"
In response to Reply # 27

the reason you think we DON'T agree about tyler's competency as a filmmaker is...

you. are. mad.

there's no other logical reason. you just mad and not paying attention.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Apr-26-13 09:44 AM

37. "Ok."
In response to Reply # 35
Fri Apr-26-13 09:48 AM by ZooTown74

I mean, you keep responding to my shit...

... yet, *I'm* mad.

You really believe all the bullshit you type, and that sucks. Sorry that your feelings keep getting hurt by my posts. Unfortunately for you and your bitchy "agenda" posting style, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Now, you can resume talking about the topic, which is Michael Bay, or continue seeking attention from me, like a needy woman would do.

I mean, you can always go back to catching repeated Ls in Sports.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Apr-26-13 09:52 AM

38. "my responses to your responses to me don't signify anger..."
In response to Reply # 37
Fri Apr-26-13 09:53 AM by Basaglia

willfully ignoring OBVIOUS common ground is a sign of anger.

i mean, next you be saying stuff like "yeah...just like Morris Chesnutt's chances at an Oscar."

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28873 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 02:30 AM

19. "That movie lightweight sucked.."
In response to Reply # 0

Out of allll the Teagans bartending in Cali, they picked that one for the lead female role. Nah, I'm hating FUCK THAT.

That Aerosmith song is a drunken Karoake classic.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

s t a r s k y
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
2396 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 02:18 PM

22. "Seen it twice in the theater"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-25-13 02:18 PM by s t a r s k y

No apologies

(屮゚Д゚ )屮

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18124 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 06:38 PM

28. "fuck spoiler alerts for a fifteen year old movie"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean where does it end, damn

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 07:32 PM

30. "Hol' up, he took a shot at DEL TORO too? (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/pacific-rims-del-toro-responds-442131

>CinemaCon: 'Pacific Rim' Director Guillermo del Toro Responds to Michael Bay's 'Rip-Off' Slam

UPDATED: "The fights don't occur in well-lit, supercool, car commercial-looking environments," del Toro says in response to Bay's knock on other robot movies.

LAS VEGAS -- Call it the battle of the 'bots.

According to Guillermo del Toro, his upcoming giant robot movie Pacific Rim couldn't be more different from Michael Bay's Transformers franchise. But during Bay's presentation at CinemaCon earlier this week plugging Pain & Gain and 2014's Transformers 4, Bay told theater owners that there have been quite a few "rip-off' robot movies and that audiences know better.

Bay didn't specifically name any titles, but he likely was referring to Universal's ill-fated Battleship and DreamWorks' Real Steel, both of which didn't work at the box office. However, many attending the session wondered whether Bay also was calling out Pacific Rim, which del Toro promoted during his CinemaCon presentation a day later (insiders close to Bay say they highly doubt it).

When told of Bay's comments by The Hollywood Reporter, del Toro responded that his movie is totally different than Transformers.

"We are far, far, far away from that in a very willing fashion," del Toro says. "For good or bad, this is my movie. This is my universe and my creation, and I do not create through comparison."

There is an operatic quality to Pacific Rim in terms of size and scope, del Toro says. In the film, the robots are as tall as 25-story buildings — much larger than the Autobots of Bay's franchise -- and they take on invading alien monsters.

"The fights don't occur in well-lit, supercool, car commercial-looking environments," del Toro says. "They occur in the middle of a raging sea storm or in a savage snowstorm. They happen in a universe that is incredibly saturated."

The director also points out that robots have been a mainstay of science fiction for decades. "And to some degree, the source of all artificial life is Frankenstein," he says.

On a lighter note, del Toro says his robots could crush every "robot in the history of mankind in a toe-to-toe showdown."

Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures open Pacific Rim in theaters July 12.

UPDATE: Bay responded on Friday to THR's story, posting on his blog: "I was talking about another movie, at another studio that will remain nameless, while I spoke at CinemaCon in Vegas this Monday."

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Rjcc
Charter member
95025 posts
Fri Apr-26-13 03:22 AM

31. "is it not obvious the movie is Battleship?"
In response to Reply # 30

cuz I saw that movie and it was total Transformers-lite

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Apr-26-13 05:40 AM

32. "Man, I can't call it, I was getting Robot Jox vibes off of it nm"
In response to Reply # 31

___________________________________________________________________________________

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10988 posts
Sun Apr-28-13 09:45 AM

39. "No. Not Robot Jox. Never speak of that movie again"
In response to Reply # 32

I've got decades of pent up disappointment and frustration from that shit

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Apr-26-13 07:23 AM

34. "That seems obvious but he may have been lumping Pacific Rim in with it"
In response to Reply # 31

Which would be stupid.

Rjcc
Charter member
95025 posts
Sun Apr-28-13 07:01 PM

40. "that seems like a lot to read into just b/c he didn't name the flick"
In response to Reply # 34

when the statement itself is not at all outrageous.

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Mon Apr-29-13 02:44 PM

41. "Armageddon was not bad, c'mon..."
In response to Reply # 0

Some of the movies OKP gives passes to, and you are shitting on this one?

Is it ridiculous? Of course. That's the point. It had a who's who of Hollywood saving the planet by landing on an asteroid to plant a nuclear bomb. Shit's dumb on paper. If someone were to describe that to me without knowing who directed it, I'd just assume it was Michael Bay.

The actors knew that shit was awful, and they just went with it. "Space dementia", "Guns in space", Bruce Willis claiming Affleck was like a son to him after he dogged this stupid bastard the whole movie, "What else are we fighting for", Steve Buscemi as a ladies man, Aerosmith, do I need to keep writing more? That's stupid awesome in movie form.

His worst movies are the Transformers movies, all of them. Before them, he was making popcorn flicks that made me smile, regardless of the stupid shit I was being hit with.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #647838 Previous topic | Next topic