Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #627525

Subject: "Middle of Nowhere (Duvernay, 2012)" Previous topic | Next topic
Tony Sparks
Member since Nov 20th 2007
3206 posts
Fri Oct-12-12 09:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Middle of Nowhere (Duvernay, 2012)"
Fri Oct-12-12 09:29 AM by Tony Sparks

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUZEcoJFg0w

Duvernay: 2012 Sundance Film Fest Best Director, Drama.

Select Cities Opening, check affrm.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Great movie.
Oct 16th 2012
Outstanding film. And not because it's "quirky" or "different."
Oct 16th 2012
Terrific, terrific movie. Corinealdi and Toussaint KILL it.
Dec 06th 2012
I wish this was OnDemand or on Apple TV...
Dec 06th 2012
I'd keep an eye on iTunes, honestly.
Dec 06th 2012
      Keep an eye on IFC on demand
Dec 07th 2012
I'm leery...
Dec 06th 2012
Honestly, you shouldn't be scared, unless you're scared of women
Dec 07th 2012
      I think everyone *will* relate to this, actually.
Dec 07th 2012
      That makes sense...
Dec 07th 2012

Tony Sparks
Member since Nov 20th 2007
3206 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 07:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Great movie."
In response to Reply # 0

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue Oct-16-12 10:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Outstanding film. And not because it's "quirky" or "different.""
In response to Reply # 0

In fact, it's really not either of those things. It's a simple story, really: a woman (Emayatzy Corinealdi) fights and waits for her incarcerated husband (Omari Hardwick) to be up for early release so they can resume their life together. One complication, among a couple, is when the bus driver on her route (David Oyelowo) starts digging her.

Sounds like the recipe for some tawdry "hood" business, right? It's not. This movie is a thoughtful meditation on a black woman in South Central Los Angeles who finds herself in a position that many black women often do: keeping the home fires lit while the man is away, either locked up, dead, or lost to the streets. Sounds like the recipe for some gritty, "keepin' it real" business, right? It's not. But the mood and emotions are real and somewhat earned honestly. I say somewhat because I did have a problem with one key plot point, as I thought it felt rushed. But aside from that, this is a superb film. The storytelling is solid and takes its own sweet-yet-alluring time getting to where it's going, the direction is perfect, the film looks gorgeous.

Speaking of gorgeous, Emayatzy Corinealdi. Yes. I'll take more of her on my screen. And the thing I loved about her in this film was when she had the opportunity to get extra showy, or melodramatic (and there were quite a few chances for her to do so), she refused, and instead opted for more nuance, more subtlety, just letting her eyes and beautiful face do the talking. There was a lot of that in this movie. There's a shot near the end of Omari Hardwick's face that pretty much sums up his situation, and he doesn't say a word. I was a fan of his before, but thanks to this performance, and him being the most intriguing thing about Sparkle, I'm a big fucking fan now.

I was afraid that Lorraine Toussaint would be too over-the-top as the overbearing mom, but she actually gave the character some meat, some solid reasoning behind why she is the way she is. She has a monologue near the end that is powerful, intense, and as real as it gets. She doesn't ask you to pick sides: this is her truth, this is how her daughters are and she doesn't like it, goddamnit, and this is how she handles it. Great fucking stuff.

I thought David Oyelowo was also solid. He took a role that would have been stock bullshit elsewhere and put some real thought and emotion behind it.

In a perfect world, Ava DuVernay would get at least a writing Oscar nomination. Hopefully, this film will bring her bigger opportunities. But for now, believe the hype. This is a wonderful film.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86698 posts
Thu Dec-06-12 06:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Terrific, terrific movie. Corinealdi and Toussaint KILL it."
In response to Reply # 0

The writing is sharp, the execution artful yet economical, and the depiction of women is more complex and thoughtful than anything we've seen this year.

Loved it, really.

And Toussaint's big "moment" (which Zoo alluded to above) left me feeling like I'd be punched in the chest. Just sensational work.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Thu Dec-06-12 09:26 PM

4. "I wish this was OnDemand or on Apple TV..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-06-12 09:26 PM by The Analyst

because I'd have to drive through four states to get to the closest theater where it's playing.

I'm increasingly starting to believe in OnDemand distribution for indies that aren't getting wide distribution. And by "wide" I mean, it doesn't look like this is opening in Boston, which is a pretty major market for movies.

Looks like I'll have to wait until this comes out on DVD, which judging by some of the stuff I've read, is too bad...

----

Frank Longo
86698 posts
Thu Dec-06-12 09:31 PM

5. "I'd keep an eye on iTunes, honestly."
In response to Reply # 4

I'm seeing more and more foreign films, docs, and indies available on iTunes the SECOND their theatrical run is through. It seems like the easiest way for them to make money.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Fri Dec-07-12 10:52 PM

10. "Keep an eye on IFC on demand"
In response to Reply # 5

It's at the IFC center in NY
They tend to be very good about ths
*fingers crossed*
I still haven't been able To catch it
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

BeastInYaArea
Member since Apr 27th 2009
449 posts
Thu Dec-06-12 10:22 PM

6. "I'm leery..."
In response to Reply # 0

Her first flick felt like a glorified Lifetime movie to me.

"I'm 27x6 cuz I carry the fo'//and I can drop a 16, so I'm ready to go"

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Fri Dec-07-12 01:48 AM

7. "Honestly, you shouldn't be scared, unless you're scared of women"
In response to Reply # 6

Black women, specifically, because Ava is telling her stories from her point of view as a black woman.

Okay, that's a little hyperbolic. Nonetheless, I hear what you're saying.

And of course, black women (and black people in general) aren't a monolith, so there will be some things that I, you, other folks won't relate to. But I think her writing is very honest; even if you don't like the way her stories are laid out, she gets the emotions absolutely correct without resorting to cheap tricks like melodrama, pandering, or swelling music cues. And to be real, I absolutely loved the way the story played itself out. So, I dunno. She may not be for everybody, I suppose...

Frank Longo
86698 posts
Fri Dec-07-12 11:37 AM

8. "I think everyone *will* relate to this, actually."
In response to Reply # 7

Even though women, and black women, aren't monoliths, this script is a classic example of creating a situation so specific that it becomes universal.

- the difficulty of moving on
- the difficulty of *true* openness, especially with family, and especially with family who have said hurtful things in the past
- seeing the options life has laid out before you, and the fear of making the wrong choice, and the maturity it takes to be fine with the choices you have made

^^^ I mean, someone's gonna relate to one of those three things, if not all of them.

I'm as a far from a young black woman in south central LA as can be. And I related to Ruby in a way I haven't with many characters this year.

BeastInYaArea
Member since Apr 27th 2009
449 posts
Fri Dec-07-12 08:35 PM

9. "That makes sense..."
In response to Reply # 7

You and Frank have piqued my interest. I'll bump when I get around to checking.

"I'm 27x6 cuz I carry the fo'//and I can drop a 16, so I'm ready to go"

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #627525 Previous topic | Next topic