Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747033

Subject: "?? Will "Summer of Soul" be released on BluRay?" Previous topic | Next topic
Voodoochilde
Charter member
3442 posts
Wed Dec-21-22 09:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"?? Will "Summer of Soul" be released on BluRay?"

im a 'physical media' kinda dude...lookin to own a BluRay version of this (perhaps with bonus footage even??)

anyone know if there are plans for a future BluRay release i could buy... or..."Am I Dreamin??" ® Atlantic Starr

have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
fox no...
Dec 21st 2022
me, (ever the slight optimist), the ONE thing i KEPT from that reply was...
Dec 22nd 2022
RE: fox no...
Dec 22nd 2022
      I'd buy that one too...
Dec 22nd 2022
There's a DVD you can buy.
Dec 22nd 2022
yall are killin' my 'positive holiday hopeful' spirit lol!
Dec 23rd 2022
      RE: yall are killin' my 'positive holiday hopeful' spirit lol!
Dec 23rd 2022

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Dec-21-22 10:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "fox no..."
In response to Reply # 0

fox has been putting niche titles out on dvd but not blu-ray, and disney has always had some weird scarcity thing it does that i'm sure extends to disney+ and hulu. that's a bad combination for getting a blu-ray. this shouldn't be viewed as niche since it won a slapfest i mean oscar, but that didn't prompt a blu-ray release and it's not in the next batch of criterion collection blu-rays where i'd seen it rumored. we shouldn't have to speculate like this when the filmmaker owns this site, but i'd say hope but don't expect, unfortunately.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3442 posts
Thu Dec-22-22 01:19 AM

2. "me, (ever the slight optimist), the ONE thing i KEPT from that reply was..."
In response to Reply # 1

.....ooooooh...i Criterion BluRay with tons of bonus stuff would be PERFECT....

...i know, i know..."Dream On!!" ® Aerosmith

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12515 posts
Thu Dec-22-22 10:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: fox no..."
In response to Reply # 1

>and disney has always had some weird scarcity thing it does
>that i'm sure extends to disney+ and hulu. that's a bad
>combination for getting a blu-ray.

Yeah, I’ve been waiting for Prey to come out on Blu Ray, but I haven’t seen anything yet.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3442 posts
Thu Dec-22-22 12:15 PM

4. "I'd buy that one too..."
In response to Reply # 3

"Prey" was a keeper as well.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86796 posts
Thu Dec-22-22 02:16 PM

5. "There's a DVD you can buy."
In response to Reply # 0

As for Blu-Rays, especially with bonus features, that would take a lot of time and money, and unless someone like Criterion steps in, that's incredibly unlikely in this current Disney regime.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3442 posts
Fri Dec-23-22 12:56 PM

6. "yall are killin' my 'positive holiday hopeful' spirit lol!"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Dec-23-22 12:58 PM by Voodoochilde

..but you're all probably right though...reality is that ONLY some company like Criterion, known for their expansive sets, would likely do something further with this.

but that said, "Summer Of Soul" DOES seem to have some of the qualities that fit the typical "Criterion treatment' criteria...prestige/critically acclaimed/award winning--StarQuality association (?uestlove and the various performers of course)--and a TON of CONTENT for POTENTIAL Bonus/BluRayOnly exclusives (we KNOW there's TONS of footage that couldnt make it into the theatrical cut. So, mining from THAT stuff ALONE would make the BluBonus features a MUST have <for me at least>...plus, i never tire of hearing ?uest talk about music & his inspirations etc, so if they could sit down with him and add that to the bonus features too? shooooot....$OLD!

im thinkin im gonna have to track down aa Criterion 'submit suggestions for future releases' contact (if one exists) and give it a go.
(my 'slightly optimistic spirit' isnt quite ALL the way stamped-out just yet dangit!!

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Dec-23-22 03:05 PM

7. "RE: yall are killin' my 'positive holiday hopeful' spirit lol!"
In response to Reply # 6

it's a natural fit for criterion, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if a deal does exist. criterion just put out an edition of disney's wall-e with an exclusive new transfer and has a relationship with disney/fox. it could even get a simultaneous 4k release. without criterion, i think chances for blu-ray are slim at this point.

>plus, i never tire of hearing ?uest talk
>about music & his inspirations etc, so if they could sit down
>with him and add that to the bonus features too?
>shooooot....$OLD!

i'm all but done buying DVDs especially when this is for sale digitally in 4k, but it does have a director's commentary if you can't wait.

>im thinkin im gonna have to track down aa Criterion 'submit
>suggestions for future releases' contact (if one exists) and
>give it a go.

criterion has a forum and i believe monitors suggestions. i noticed they've significantly increased their output of black cinema in recent years.

>(my 'slightly optimistic spirit' isnt quite ALL the way
>stamped-out just yet dangit!!

by holiday season 2023, you may have this in your collection or under your tree. don't give up hope. make a little joyful noise in the meantime.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747033 Previous topic | Next topic