Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #728793

Subject: "A Quiet Place (Krasinski, 2018)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86831 posts
Fri Apr-06-18 12:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"A Quiet Place (Krasinski, 2018)"

Uh yeah, this is about to be a big-ass hit. Blunt acts her ass off, the tension never lets go, and it’s a lot of fun with an audience.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Slightly disappointed. Still enjoyed it.
Apr 06th 2018
John Krasinski: Horror Master.
Apr 06th 2018
is this a thriller or a horror film?
Apr 06th 2018
closer to thriller imo, but edges towards horror in the last 30mins
Apr 07th 2018
it was okay (spoilers)
Apr 07th 2018
I'm not a big logic-flaw guy...
Apr 16th 2018
      RE: I'm not a big logic-flaw guy...
Apr 18th 2018
      every world has its own rules, hence the reason
Apr 18th 2018
      No shelter or electricity?
Apr 27th 2018
i thought it was very good.
Apr 08th 2018
Very edge-of-your-seat, but I don't know that I loved it
Apr 08th 2018
what about sneezing or farting??????????????
Apr 08th 2018
That would have been worth exploring for lulz.
Apr 09th 2018
Pretty fun, solid popcorn thriller. So glad they did make it a Cloverfi...
Apr 09th 2018
That's how you role a Blunt
Apr 09th 2018
3 outta 5 stars, certain parts are stupid.
Apr 09th 2018
I loved it
Apr 14th 2018
*co-wrote
Apr 14th 2018
Great flick
Apr 16th 2018
cool movie, echoing most all the comments here.
Apr 16th 2018

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6747 posts
Fri Apr-06-18 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Slightly disappointed. Still enjoyed it."
In response to Reply # 0

Definitely clever. Definitely well-acted, and well-shot. Definitely tense. Also, short and sweet which I appreciate so much.

But the creatures themselves were kind of generic, and didn't make much sense if you thought about them for even a moment.

Also, the pacing in the second, more action packed half, felt kind of repetitive, like the same scenario kept happening over and over, without really escalating until the very end.

But I still enjoyed it, and the film's main conceit is a nice, simple hook. Halpert appears to be a legit director.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5670 posts
Fri Apr-06-18 03:36 PM

2. "John Krasinski: Horror Master. "
In response to Reply # 0

Never thought Jim from The Office could make a film like this. Glad its blowing up.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10138 posts
Fri Apr-06-18 06:02 PM

3. "is this a thriller or a horror film?"
In response to Reply # 0

a bit of both?

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8446 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 04:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "closer to thriller imo, but edges towards horror in the last 30mins"
In response to Reply # 3

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 10:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "it was okay (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

went with my wife and we both were underwhelmed. Very well acted. The kids were really good and I usually hate kid actors. Blunt acted her ass off. Jim was good too. It was really well shot. The story was predictable especially at the end when they were hiding in the truck. Also why did the monster keep coming after them when the noise had already stopped and they were distracted to other areas? Why didnt they just live near the river? Why were the monsters even there and where the fuck did they come from? This reminded me of Signs but much more well made.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

will_5198
Charter member
63356 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 10:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "I'm not a big logic-flaw guy..."
In response to Reply # 5

>Why didnt
>they just live near the river?

but yeah. the river had food, water and protected them naturally from the aliens. really no point in *not* living there, especially since they seemed to have found it a while ago.

--------

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10885 posts
Wed Apr-18-18 10:38 AM

18. "RE: I'm not a big logic-flaw guy..."
In response to Reply # 16

How far would that sound protection really go?

You can scream underneath a waterfall but could you fell a tree and construct something sturdy on the banks without attracting the aliens?

They already had established housing so I can see trying to make it work on the farm rather than trying to establish something new near the river

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

will_5198
Charter member
63356 posts
Wed Apr-18-18 05:38 PM

19. "every world has its own rules, hence the reason"
In response to Reply # 18

I'm not a big "logic fallacy" guy. but I figure it makes a ton of sense to live in a place where you can scream at each other, fish all day, and have running water. opposed to getting yourself killed playing Monopoly in your creaky deathtrap house.

--------

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Fri Apr-27-18 11:22 PM

20. "No shelter or electricity?"
In response to Reply # 16

PROMO
Charter member
31702 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 03:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "i thought it was very good."
In response to Reply # 0

i've been completely let down by every so-called "dope" horror movie of late, but that's because gore doesn't do it, jump scares are wack, etc.

for me, it's the tension that's scary, and this movie was pretty much tension the whole way. that said, another thing i thought that was good about it was that some of the "touching" moments were handled well.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6537 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 03:59 PM

7. "Very edge-of-your-seat, but I don't know that I loved it "
In response to Reply # 0

The tension was very real and there was a moment I got so startled that I dropped my phone lol.

But the premise that makes this film interesting to me also sort of confined it in a way that felt boring about halfway through. There's little to no dialogue and we establish early on that the main points of the movie are going to arise from a character inadvertently making a sound, and the film pretty much sticks to that script.

A fun and well-done ride but I oddly felt myself getting impatient before it ended.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Apr-08-18 10:52 PM

8. "what about sneezing or farting??????????????"
In response to Reply # 0

it was a cool lil movie tho

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49777 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 09:28 AM

9. "That would have been worth exploring for lulz. "
In response to Reply # 8

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49777 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 09:31 AM

10. "Pretty fun, solid popcorn thriller. So glad they did make it a Cloverfi..."
In response to Reply # 0

Need a fun date night movie and it delivered. I thought a mostly silently movie would get boring but it remained tense through out. It's a strange thing for a modern movie theater experience everyone so quiet. Someone dropped something during my screening and the whole crowd lost it.

There were a couple of things you saw coming but I don't think it made it less enjoyable but rather built the anticipation for it to finally happen.

Lots of fun.

I read they almost made it a cloverfield movie. So glad they didn't it. It would be better than any cloverfield movie I've seen so far and it deserves not to be lost in the pack of those disposable movies.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 09:51 AM

11. "That's how you role a Blunt "
In response to Reply # 0

From the moment her water breaks she really delivers (npi)

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 11:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "3 outta 5 stars, certain parts are stupid."
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Sat Apr-14-18 02:00 AM

13. "I loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

Characters made me angry and hate them but in a good way. The chracter development was done well IMO for his first try as a new writer/director but took up too much of the movie that the third act felt too short and didnt deliver as had as its potential. I enjoyed the fuck out of this film minus the marketing for the type of movie ita actually is. It left me wanting more, whether thats a pro or con is up to you.

----------

IG @h_n_z

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Sat Apr-14-18 11:09 AM

14. "*co-wrote"
In response to Reply # 13

----------

IG @h_n_z

ToeJam
Charter member
2122 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 06:38 AM

15. "Great flick"
In response to Reply # 0

This stuff that might annoy me (predictable tropes) didn't. It was creative, you were really immersed in their world, it felt real.

will_5198
Charter member
63356 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 10:30 PM

17. "cool movie, echoing most all the comments here."
In response to Reply # 0

fun to watch with an audience and as mentioned, almost eerie how quiet the theater (full) was the entire time.

some disagreeable stuff here and there, but it crafted a sense of place and didn't overstay it's welcome. nice diversion from the unrelenting "more more more" bombast that pervades the mainstream.

--------

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #728793 Previous topic | Next topic