Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #727559

Subject: "“Negrophobia”: A Novel by Darius James" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Wed Jan-31-18 11:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"“Negrophobia”: A Novel by Darius James"

Thinking back to those childhood days in the late ’60s and early ’70s, I was often in the living room propped in front of our oversized black-and-white television set. Many film and television images that would be deemed as offensive today were still a part of our everyday world in post-civil rights America. While Martin Luther King might’ve gotten us a literal seat on the bus and at Woolworth’s lunch counter, that didn’t stop American icons Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben from staring at us from supermarket shelves, or the occasional Warner Bros. cartoon that featured kooky Africans, a hell-dwelling Sambo meeting with Satan on a Sunday morning, and jitterbugging darkies dancing through the streets of Harlem. With titles that included “Uncle Tom’s Bungalow” (1937), “Jungle Jitters” (1938) and “Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs” (1943), these shorts were shown before the feature films.

After the advent of television, those same cartoons, mostly done for the jazzy Merrie Melodies imprint, were syndicated by local stations and shown across the nation. Although racist cartoons with negative images of Black folks were at one time a small part of a pop culture landscape, the most notorious of these cartoons, as I learned from reading Cartoon Research columnist Christopher P. Lehman’s series on racist cartoons, are referred to as “The Censored 11” and were pulled out of television syndication circulation in 1968. For better or worse, these negative images spilled over into black pop culture and have inspired various artists. We can see the tar brush strokes in the paintings of Michael Ray Charles, in the laced joint of Spike Lee’s bizarro Bamboozled, in Miles Marshall Lewis’ southern rapper minstrel short story “The Wu-Tang Candidate” (Bronx Biannual, #2) and, most recently in the animated video directed by Mark Romanek for Jay-Z’s provocative “The Story of O. J.” The clip shows the self-proclaimed King of New York has adopted the notorious Sambo persona, flipped it to an autobiographical Jaybo, and created a clip that was controversial for both visual content and lyrics.

In a Village Voice cover story essay The Politicization Of Jay-Z, writer Greg Tate reported that the video ticked-off the “Black cultural nationalists with zero tolerance for irony, who now want him tarred and feathered for portraying Nina Simone and Huey Newton as minstrel acts . . . everybody talks about the white gaze of white supremacy, but damn if he didn’t throw it up on the screen in buck-and-winging black-and-white.” As I read Tate’s words, I scratched my nappy head, took a bite of watermelon and wondered why someone didn’t contact my homeboy Darius James, author of Negrophobia, a novel as inspired by the bang-zoom zaniness of those cartoons as it was by the writings of Amiri Baraka and William Burroughs.

Published in 1992 by Carol/Citadel Press, Negrophobia was a wild romp through a racially charged dreamscape that zipped from one absurd scene to another so quickly, you didn’t have time to question the illogical logic as stereotypes Uncle Remus, metal lawn jockeys, African cannibals, and Little Black Sambo plowed through the pages. “Growing-up in the ’60s, I watched all of those cartoons, but I didn’t associate those images with me or any other black people,” James said to me last year from his home in New Haven, Connecticut a few days before Christmas. “Though I was aware that that was how white people might think of black people.”

https://catapult.co/stories/negrophobia-a-novel-by-darius-james

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
adding this to my must read list
Jan 31st 2018
I saw that book in the library in the early 90's and I read it
Jan 31st 2018
RE: I saw that book in the library in the early 90's and I read it
Feb 01st 2018
      I did the one with the cover with a collage with Jean-Paul Bourelly
Feb 01st 2018
           Loved Follow For Now..hung out and smoked with them, lol
Feb 01st 2018
           RE: I did the one with the cover with a collage with Jean-Paul Bourelly
Feb 03rd 2018
                Collin Barden
Feb 03rd 2018

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Jan-31-18 12:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "adding this to my must read list"
In response to Reply # 0

Bottoms up....and the devil laughs..

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
14249 posts
Wed Jan-31-18 03:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I saw that book in the library in the early 90's and I read it"
In response to Reply # 0

I was going to review it for the BRC magazine "Ravers"

I thought it was a-ight.

I wish that issue would have been done (Sheila Moorehead, the editor who worked on the issue of Ravers I worked on, left NYC).

I had some big plans for my 2nd Ravers contributions.

mackmike
499 posts
Thu Feb-01-18 10:33 AM

3. "RE: I saw that book in the library in the early 90's and I read it"
In response to Reply # 2

Do you still have the first issue of Ravers? I had a story in there that I haven't seen since it came out...

c71
14249 posts
Thu Feb-01-18 01:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I did the one with the cover with a collage with Jean-Paul Bourelly "
In response to Reply # 3

in the center of the collage. That issue I suppose came out in 1992

I think you might have done one before that (if there was one before that).

I reviewed Bourelly's "Trippin'" and Follow for Now s/t, and The Eric Gales Band s/t, and Professor Griff's "kaos to wizdom"

I wrote an essay called "Another Generation" (named after the Fishbone song) about "something" criticizing Treach from Naughty by Nature for his negative lyrics on "ghetto bastard"

If that sounds like the issue that you had a article in...

I don't think I still have a copy of it.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Feb-01-18 05:25 PM

5. "Loved Follow For Now..hung out and smoked with them, lol"
In response to Reply # 4

Bottoms up....and the devil laughs..

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

mackmike
499 posts
Sat Feb-03-18 01:41 PM

6. "RE: I did the one with the cover with a collage with Jean-Paul Bourelly "
In response to Reply # 4

I don't really remember...the piece I did was on Pedro Bell, the P-Funk artist. I don't recall the cover. What's your name?

c71
14249 posts
Sat Feb-03-18 02:36 PM

7. "Collin Barden"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat Feb-03-18 02:44 PM by c71

my name is in my OKP profile (when you click on "c71")

I think you could judge whether that was the issue by the year the music was included - does it sound like those early 90's records ("Trippin'" and "follow for now", etc.) were a part of the era the magazine you contributed to was in? I know you usually talk about the BRC from the late 80's era (I think you mentioned before Darius James used to go to that era's BRC meetings).

I think I remember an issue of Ravers where Cammile Goodison interviewed Kelvyn Bell of Kelvinator. That issue was after the issue I was involved in. I'm not sure why I didn't connect with the editor for that issue after the editor Sheila Moorehead left after she did the issue I was involved in.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #727559 Previous topic | Next topic