Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #406962

Subject: "Appaloosa" Previous topic | Next topic
Big Chief Rumbletummy
Member since Jan 31st 2006
2005 posts
Thu Oct-09-08 11:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Appaloosa"

This was the weirdest, and worst, “vanity” project I’ve seen in quite a long time. I guess I shouldn’t try and get into Ed Harris’ bald-ass head and act like I know his motives and intents but it’s really hard not to with an actor-turned-director and a cowboy flick. I just couldn’t shake the feeling that Harris saw what Clint Eastwood did with the sublime masterpiece “Unforgiven” as well as the superb job Kevin Costner did in front of and behind the camera on the beautiful “Open Range”; and he tried to emulate that. He tried…for example: there is an evil British landowner seemingly able to get the town big-wigs in his pocket, the main characters are a pair of honest and honorable, yet flawed, lawmen riding together in the name of justice and law n’ order, and a wild and untamed woman threatens to come between them. For these reasons I just couldn’t shake the idea he took the template laid out by the above and, well, came up far short. Never giving Appaloosa a chance at being anywhere near as good as both of those outstanding films because Appaloosa doesn’t possess the qualities and charms they did.

So let me quit trying to analyze the man.

The film never really gets up off the ground. At all. In my opinion the greatest of westerns can have the simplest of plots, and Appaloosa starts out doing nothing different than any of a dozen westerns you’ve seen before. Greedy, evil landowner does wrong and newly marshaled good guys aim to bring him to justice, WHATEVER THE COST! Fine. Seems simple enough, and many a good to great cowboy picture has been made using plots similarly simple. But then wild cards start getting tossed into the mix and characters start acting all willy-nilly and before I knew it in between stilted uncomfortable scenes of boring, clichéd dialogue I started hoping to get more shots of sweeping desert vistas and the like. You know a film is bad when you’d rather see continuous shots of the New Mexican desert than another glimpse of Renee Zellweger screwing her face up in an imaginary vice and offering up awkward and pensive nervous laughter to the awkward and pensive nervous reactions of everyone around her.

I’ve never really understood the Zellweger hate I see in PTP and other places, I liked her enough in the films I’ve seen, but this one…ehhh me no likey.
Viggo was good in his role as Everett Hitch, Deputy Town Marshall. The Vig Mortmeister’s career has been hit or miss with me (more often hit), but he was good here. No, make that he was really good. He was the bright spot of this dreck.
Jeremy Irons was atrociously miscast. I like Irons, I LOVED him in Reversal of Fortune, but he should never, EVER, be allowed to walk around in cowboy duds with bullet belts and shooters dangling off his 26” waist.
Lance Henriksen, who even when he was young looked old, looks dead. He looked like Pruneface from Dick Tracy, except with a mustache.
Ed Harris was a mess. He’s usually rock solid but I don’t even know where to begin with my un happiness with him in this.

It’s like…do I dislike his choices as an actor, or do I dislike his choices as a director for using the scenes in which he acted so poorly, or do I dislike his writing (adapted from a book, I believe) which made Ed Harris the actor say horrible dialogue that Ed Harris the director had to film…?!? His character was at first the clichéd quiet, smoldering, sturdy and honest lawman who, while sturdy and honest and a lawman, can also go over the line and be a violent bully. But after just seeing RZ for twenty seconds he becomes a goofy, smitten fool who adopts a “aw, gee shucks” manner. He then acts so irrationally and makes such obviously poor decisions for himself and his partner all in the name of a love of an amoral woman who has wronged him repeatedly, you start to wonder why the hell his partner is so damned loyal in the first place.

Two bits of the stunningly shitty script stuck with me. I think it’s because in both instances these were meant to be profound, character defining and plot summarizing moments for the audience to really sit back and soak in the genius:

Town Marshall Virgil Cole (Ed Harris): (To Ally’s (Zellweger)’s asking of why a man convicted of murder and sentenced to death, freed by banditos he paid to break him out of prison, the re-captured by the law-men and put into prison, then pardoned because at one time he was friends with Chester A. Arthur, President of the United States , would ever come back to the town and show his face again) “Pride. It’s Pride, Ally…pride’ll make a man do funny things…” aaannnnddd…SCENE!!

Bragg (Jeremy Irons): “You’ll never hang me, Marshall!”
Town Marshall Virgil Cole (Ed Harris): (dramatic pause) “Never is a long time.”
aaannnnddd…SCENE!!

I think those two instances constitute a couple of hat tricks in the “cheese” department for Harris: a horribly cheesey way to end two cheesey scenes with cheese lines said cheesily.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Appaloosa
Oct 11th 2008
*Ed and Viggo collapse, wounded, after shootout*
Oct 11th 2008
RE: Appaloosa
Jun 02nd 2009
I really enjoyed this movie.
Jun 02nd 2009
I still need to see this & Open Range at some point.
Jun 02nd 2009
Open Range - DEFINITELY, Apaloosa - meh.
Jun 02nd 2009
      ApaLost. Still haven't seen all of Open Range but its much better
Aug 05th 2009
      isn't that how real gunfights actually went?
Aug 05th 2009
           if realism was the goal he should've done it with the dialogue
Aug 05th 2009
      basa, come get your boy
Aug 05th 2009
Should have been a mini-series
Jun 02nd 2009
Co-sign on multiple fronts. renee was hideous.
Aug 05th 2009
      Would an Appaloosa mini-series be better than Deadwood tho?
Aug 05th 2009
           never seen either of those so i am clueless.
Aug 05th 2009
Without comparing to anything else...
Jun 02nd 2009
Every other line in Open Range was "A man" this "A man" that.
Aug 05th 2009
AY-MEN BRUDDA
Aug 05th 2009

Preach
Member since Sep 03rd 2002
4179 posts
Sat Oct-11-08 09:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
1. "RE: Appaloosa"
In response to Reply # 0

i like your write up. not sure if i agree w/ everything just yet.

as of now it's 3/5 movie to me. viggo was great though.

ActWon
Member since May 01st 2007
3290 posts
Sat Oct-11-08 08:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "*Ed and Viggo collapse, wounded, after shootout*"
In response to Reply # 0

Viggo (groaning on his back):(paraphrase)"...I didn't see that comin'."
Ed (one leg screwed up):"...That's cause everyone could shoot."

Best part of the movie. I'm not a western buff, and I didn't know much about the movie in advance, so it entertained me enough. I liked that occasional banter between Viggo and Ed, as well as the bit of dark humor played around how cold they both were when it came to criminals.

"Hey. If either of you pull on me, I'll shoot you and your friend."
*Guy 1 reaches for gun*
*Harris shoots Guy 1 in chest and Guy 2, who also pulls, in the face*
*Viggo shoots Guy 3 with a shotgun*
"...I warned 'em."
Later
"You shot three of my men, sheriff."
"Actually, I only shot two. Cole shot the other one."

Ed Harris right after introducing himself and his deputy to Renee:
"So, are you a whore?"
*Viggo slowly turns his head and stares at Harris*

Really, the only things I disliked was Renee Zellweger's idiotic character and the pusification on Ed Harris' character, even when Allie is revealed to be...a REALLY around the way girl.

The ending was sort of WTF worthy, yet badass.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Jun-02-09 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Appaloosa"
In response to Reply # 0

that movie was trash

Raised under Reagan
Member since Oct 10th 2007
3789 posts
Tue Jun-02-09 01:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
4. "I really enjoyed this movie."
In response to Reply # 0

http://controversy.wearscience.com/img450/devil.gif

http://www.gifflix.com/files/a5ce6cf63c93.gif

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jun-02-09 01:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I still need to see this & Open Range at some point."
In response to Reply # 0

Big Chief Rumbletummy
2005 posts
Tue Jun-02-09 03:16 PM

7. "Open Range - DEFINITELY, Apaloosa - meh."
In response to Reply # 5

Maybe you'd watch Appaloosa just for the curiosity factor but seriously, take a hint from ol' Uncle Tum-Tum, ou want to stay clear away from this one.

It was even worse than Eastern Promises.

©
I'm mainly known for my rough raps
but kids steal my lyrics like hubcaps
and eat em like stacks of flapjacks like rugrats
HEY
and I gets bizzy over unknown tracks
while the next man flaps his lids like Parkay

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Aug-05-09 03:23 PM

9. "ApaLost. Still haven't seen all of Open Range but its much better"
In response to Reply # 7

That running joke with Ed Harris asking Viggo for the right word he was looking for got old quick. And he still never found the right words because the script was terrible. I didn't really mind Jeremy Irons but he really wasn't given a chance to shine here. RZ was terrible & Viggo looked like he couldn't wait for the scene to end whenever he was on screen. And I can't blame him either. I dont' need non-stop or even over the top (3:10 to Yuma rmk) action in my Westerns. But what little action there was, never brought any excitement. It was like a couple gun shots go off, people fall down, & the scene was over. Weak.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27150 posts
Wed Aug-05-09 03:29 PM

11. "isn't that how real gunfights actually went?"
In response to Reply # 9

>was like a couple gun shots go off, people fall down, & the
>scene was over. Weak.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Aug-05-09 04:23 PM

14. "if realism was the goal he should've done it with the dialogue "
In response to Reply # 11

that thought did cross my mind but it was just corny since they spent the whole time talking up how bad ass they were with the guns & then once they finally face off with the other duo they just walk up to them & get blasted.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27150 posts
Wed Aug-05-09 03:28 PM

10. "basa, come get your boy"
In response to Reply # 7

>It was even worse than Eastern Promises.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue Jun-02-09 01:46 PM

6. "Should have been a mini-series"
In response to Reply # 0

Zelwegger really killed it for me. I didn't realize that there were bad face lifts in the Old West.

But the bigger issue I had with it was that it blew through a lot of interesting situations and didn't really get anything out of them. There were at least four times in the film that I thought they were entering into a cool moment but then it just kind of sleepwalked (sleptwalk?) through the scene.

I think expanding the film into a mini-series and really getting the most out of each scenario would make for a far more interesting piece.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
45029 posts
Wed Aug-05-09 04:03 PM

12. "Co-sign on multiple fronts. renee was hideous. "
In response to Reply # 6

like, really, really ugly.

blech.

a miniseries would be cool... this is the type of scenario that would make for a solid hbo show.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Aug-05-09 04:26 PM

15. "Would an Appaloosa mini-series be better than Deadwood tho?"
In response to Reply # 12

or even The Young Riders?

>a miniseries would be cool... this is the type of scenario
>that would make for a solid hbo show.
>

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
45029 posts
Wed Aug-05-09 05:10 PM

16. "never seen either of those so i am clueless. "
In response to Reply # 15

>or even The Young Riders?
>
>>a miniseries would be cool... this is the type of scenario
>>that would make for a solid hbo show.
>>
>
i dunno.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Midtown Records
Member since Sep 29th 2006
4776 posts
Tue Jun-02-09 07:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Without comparing to anything else..."
In response to Reply # 0

it was just OK. I don't think it was a terrible film but it was near as good as I hoped it would have been.

Lamentations 3:26
It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6742 posts
Wed Aug-05-09 04:19 PM

13. "Every other line in Open Range was "A man" this "A man" that."
In response to Reply # 0

That movie had the kind of cinematography that could make a man shit his pants real good, but sometimes a man has to face the facts and admit when dialog is corny.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Big Chief Rumbletummy
2005 posts
Wed Aug-05-09 05:48 PM

17. "AY-MEN BRUDDA"
In response to Reply # 13

I kid you not...in the first 3 minutes or so of Open Range, Kevin Costner's character actually utters the line "Let's russle up some grub". I almost shit.

A heaping of corny dialogue and formulaic plotline aside, that movie had wonderful scenery, great editing and pacing, interesting characters, and managed to seem like an epic despite having a tiny cast and only a handful of locations.

Appaloosa was pure cornation thru and thru.

©

BUNG BUNG BUNG!!!
Ya bell went RUNG RUNG RUNG!!!

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #406962 Previous topic | Next topic