Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3044994

Subject: "Daz Dillinger Lashes Out At Dr. Dre Over ‘The Chronic’ Royalties" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13972 posts
Thu Dec-21-23 05:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Daz Dillinger Lashes Out At Dr. Dre Over ‘The Chronic’ Royalties"

https://www.vibe.com/news/entertainment/daz-dillinger-lashes-out-dr-dre-chronic-royalties-1234835284/

HOME
NEWS
ENTERTAINMENT

Daz Dillinger Lashes Out At Dr. Dre Over ‘The Chronic’ Royalties

Daz contributed to several songs on the classic release.

BY PREEZY BROWN

DECEMBER 20, 2023 12:31PM

Dr. Dre’s 1992 solo debut The Chronic is considered one of the greatest rap albums of all-time and helped introduce numerous rap stars while putting Death Row Records on the map. However, one key contributor to the album says he hasn’t received royalties owed from his work and is threatening to not allow usage of the material moving forward.

Daz Dillinger, a member of Tha Dogg Pound who appeared on several tracks on The Chronic, including “Bi**hes Ain’t Sh*t,” “The Day The Ni**z Took Over,” “The Roach (Outro),” and “Deeez Nuuuts,” recently took to social media to express his displeasure over the lack of compensation.

“HAPPY 31st C DAY TO THE CHRONIC @drdre BUT WHEN CAN WE RECEIVE OUR ROYALITIES,” Daz wrote on Instagram last Friday (Dec. 15), which marked the anniversary of the album’s release. “ARE YOU OR @interscope GONE ROBB US LIKE @deathrowrecords 2024 & THE NIGGAS FROM THE PAST WHO RAN IT,” he continued.

“REMEMBER DAZ COPYRIGHT REVERSIONS LAW IZ FILED I WANT % not points. SO YALL ON A TIME LIMIT 4MORE YRS TIL IT REVERTS BAC THEN ITS REALLY LIKE FUCCEM I AINT CLEARING SHIT up. IM COMIN,” the Cali native concluded.

Earlier this year, Daz responded to claims made by Death Row Records founder Suge Knight about his involvement in the production on Snoop Dogg’s 1993 debut Doggystyle, which he vehemently refuted. “Suge Knight saying something about Doggystyle,” told TMZ this past May. “Hey, Dr. Dre is the best producer in the mother f**king world. I did not have nothing to do with that, Dr. Dre did that on his own. Suge Knight is lying, I ain’t sign a motherf**king thing.”

This isn’t the first time Daz Dillinger has lashed out at a Hip-Hop figure over royalties and publishing rights. He accused JAY-Z of using his lyrics from the song “Serial Killa” on Dr. Dre’s classic single “Still D.R.E.,” which Jay-Z famously wrote in its entirety for Dr. Dre‘s Chronic 2001 album.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Lots of periodic lashing out and reconciliation with those guys
Dec 21st 2023
especially from Daz
Dec 21st 2023
      It's so weird.
Dec 21st 2023
Did Dr Dre have any ownership in Death Row?
Dec 21st 2023
A lawyer can handle that if it's really an issue. I think this speaks mo...
Dec 22nd 2023
Dj Quik had similar complaints not too long ago?
Dec 27th 2023
Not counting his money, but he must have a slow payment quarter.
Dec 28th 2023

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18650 posts
Thu Dec-21-23 08:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Lots of periodic lashing out and reconciliation with those guys"
In response to Reply # 0

makaveli
Charter member
16313 posts
Thu Dec-21-23 08:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "especially from Daz"
In response to Reply # 1

he does this with Snoop too.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24444 posts
Thu Dec-21-23 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "It's so weird."
In response to Reply # 2

DR DRE IS THE BEST PRODUCER IN THE WORLD I DIDNT DO SHIT I PRODUCED THE ENTIRE DEATH ROW DISCOGRAPHY WHERES MY MONEY NOBODY OWES ME A DIME IM PAID IN FULL

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40927 posts
Thu Dec-21-23 11:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Did Dr Dre have any ownership in Death Row?"
In response to Reply # 0

I just thought Dre was a producer/Artist, what part did he have to do with payouts, especially after he left the label?

Snoop owns the label so it would at least make more sense if Daz was barking at Dogg

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

The Bobblehead Man
Member since Jan 04th 2006
88 posts
Fri Dec-22-23 09:41 AM

5. "A lawyer can handle that if it's really an issue. I think this speaks mo..."
In response to Reply # 0

to Daz maybe having mental or emotional struggles. As someone else pointed out, he's back and forth with everyone.

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4375 posts
Wed Dec-27-23 12:50 PM

6. "Dj Quik had similar complaints not too long ago?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-27-23 12:50 PM by javi222

Though I think his issue is more with credit

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23884 posts
Thu Dec-28-23 06:19 PM

7. "Not counting his money, but he must have a slow payment quarter."
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't investigated the frequency, but like said above, his media content goes from "I'm rich forever off the Death Row shit, I own all my shit" to "I NEVER GET CREDIT FOR ANYTHING, PAY ME NOW!". I saw interview clips this summer where he never mentioned payment issues, but it always rears its ugly head at some point in the year.

Like, is Q4 the part of the year where you go from 6-figure payments to 5-figure payments?

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Lobby The Lesson topic #3044994 Previous topic | Next topic