Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3044571

Subject: "Danny Brown "QUARANTA"" Previous topic | Next topic
Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Sun Nov-19-23 11:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Danny Brown "QUARANTA""

Brown got a new album out right now, and I know it may be too early for me to say this, but I think it might be his best yet.

I always had XXX as my favorite, but that was so long ago and there's a lot of skips on it.

Atrocity Exhibition is his most well-reviewed and highly-regarded album so far.

But this one is just a pleasure to listen to. Maybe the most enjoyable full album listen of Danny Brown he has ever released. The production is beautiful. He's back in his experimental bag, but it's not all discordant and chaotic. It's a full, modern, and percussive sound.. and yes, it is even funky at times.

Vocally, he limits his screeching falsetto delivery to certain songs, and his deeper, more soulful and serious tone is displayed throughout. In fact, I would say this is his most soulful record to date. With less of the screaming, you can really hear that he's actually rapping his ass of (and always has been).

Lyrically, he's extremely serious and mature on here. Introspective is a word that gets thrown around a lot in underground rap reviews, but that's the right word for this.

I found myself yelling in approval and talking to myself throughout my drive yesterday as I listened to it for the first time.

Sobriety really suits Danny Brown well. I'm happy for him.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ditto to all of this
Nov 20th 2023
It's really good
Nov 20th 2023
I'll need to check this out
Nov 20th 2023
RE: I'll need to check this out
Nov 21st 2023

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4551 posts
Mon Nov-20-23 09:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "ditto to all of this"
In response to Reply # 0

i love that i can understand his lyrics again
xxx is still my favorite, but this is great as well

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16415 posts
Mon Nov-20-23 10:07 AM

2. "It's really good"
In response to Reply # 0

excited to give it more listen. Don't think it's among my top albums of the year or that I like it more than uknowhatimsayin but I can see it growing on me.

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Mon Nov-20-23 01:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'll need to check this out"
In response to Reply # 0

Really loved Atrocity Exhibition for it's off the wall manic moments.

The next that came out afterwards was a bit too subdued.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Tue Nov-21-23 12:23 AM

4. "RE: I'll need to check this out"
In response to Reply # 3

>Really loved Atrocity Exhibition for it's off the wall manic
>moments.
>
>The next that came out afterwards was a bit too subdued.

I feel that A.E. was him putting together all of his strengths into a cohesive sound/statement. The last one, he went the other direction (due to Q-Tip's involvement) and went full backpack boom bap. This takes the A.E. formula and adds to it the maturity of You Know What I'm Sayin without holding back as much.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3044571 Previous topic | Next topic